Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Mary Tyler Moore was phenomenal, to say the least. Like millions of people, I watched/loved her in both The Dick Van Dyke Show and The Mary Tyler Moore Show. She inspired many women, onscreen and off. Laura Petrie was part of one of the best TV couples of all time and Mary Richards was a true feminist icon. Without Mary Richards, there would be no Murphy Brown, Liz Lemon, Carrie Bradshaw nor Oprah Winfrey, to literally name a few. 

MTM's performance in Ordinary People not only showed range, it was brilliant. The scene when the mom looked horrified when her surviving son hugged her was some of MTM's best work, hence her well-deserved Oscar nomination. 

RIP, Ms. Moore. May you toss your halo in Heaven, Mary Richards-style.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I grew up watching MTM and her shows on Nick at Nite-when N&N was a real thing and not when they started airing Full House, FRIENDS, etc- and I loved MTM.

I knew MTM from the Nick At Nite "Block Party Summer" when 8pm-11pm each weeknight was just a solid six episodes of the same show.  Mary Mondays, Lucy Tuesdays, Bewitched Be-Wednesdays, Taxi Thursdays, and Newhart Fridays.

The only time in my life I couldn't wait for Monday.

giphy.gif

• Love 10
19 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

Or when she played Georgia Tann, the evil woman who sold babies back in the thirties.  That role was about as far from Mary Richards as you could get.  I still remember her spitting out the words,"...the illiterate whores who bore them."  Yikes.

Yes, Angeltoes, Miss Moore did an excellent dramatic turn playing this  real-life evil person ,who with the help of a corrupt judge, made a fortune off of selling children from the 1930's to 1950 to the highest bidder and, in some cases ,Miss Tannen actually kidnapped them off the street and sold them away without anyone bothering to notify their distraught parents what had happened to them! Anyway, the line I recall her saying with chills was when she was close to being confronted "You don't know who you're dealing with!". Yikes, indeed and Miss Moore definitely earned that Emmy for playing her so convincingly!

In any case, though, Miss Moore turning the world on with her smile driving her white car then walking through the Minneapolis streets was a highlight of my childhood  and that's how I'll always think of her. As shocking as it is to imagine a world without her with us, I'm grateful her lingering suffering is no more and pray she's reunited with her   son lost so tragically so long ago.  RIP, Miss Moore!

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Calvada said:

In addition to her work on the DVD and MTM Shows, I thought she was amazing in Ordinary People, and I liked her in the little known Just Between Friends.  And yes, she was wonderful in Flirting With Disaster

From some stories I've heard, I don't know if she would have been someone I'd like to be friends with, but she was a great comedic and dramatic actress.

Was Just Between Friends the movie where she and Christine Lahti's character become friends and

Spoiler

find out that one is sleeping with the other's husband?

I loved Laura Petrie and Mary Richards, and I found MTM herself to be very lovely and down to earth (as much as one can determine that when seeing interviews and public appearances). I laughed like crazy when I saw her on a late night talk show (I think it was Letterman) and she told the host how she used to call DVD "Penis van Lesbian" behind the scenes. It was just so funny to hear from sweet, lovely Laura Petrie.  But she had so much dramatic talent (Ordinary People, of course, but also her Tony-award nomination for Whose Life is it Anyway? and her ability to play the evil Sante Kimes in a TV movie). 

While playing one of those celebrity-name party games in which certain words can't be used as clues, and I imitating her "Ooooh..." followed up with "That's a clue, not just me being frustrated." My teammates immediately jumped in with "Laura Petrie! Mary Tyler Moore!"

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DollEyes said:

Mary Tyler Moore was phenomenal, to say the least. Like millions of people, I watched/loved her in both The Dick Van Dyke Show and The Mary Tyler Moore Show. She inspired many women, onscreen and off. Laura Petrie was part of one of the best TV couples of all time and Mary Richards was a true feminist icon. Without Mary Richards, there would be no Murphy Brown, Liz Lemon, Carrie Bradshaw nor Oprah Winfrey, to literally name a few. 

MTM's performance in Ordinary People not only showed range, it was brilliant. The scene when the mom looked horrified when her surviving son hugged her was some of MTM's best work, hence her well-deserved Oscar nomination. 

RIP, Ms. Moore. May you toss your halo in Heaven, Mary Richards-style.

Speaking of which, AT&T On Demand via Movieplex, has Ordinary People on through March 1st.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, DollEyes said:

For me, it was the scene where's she's packing her suitcase. One sob, squared shoulders, back to packing.

• Love 4

I can't find the Bob Costas interview she did where he mentions that she was Elvis' last leading lady in "Change of Habit"(1969). The plot as described in Wikipedia is gold:

Dr. John Carpenter is a physician in a ghetto clinic who falls for a co-worker, Michelle Gallagher, unaware that she is a nun.

Elvis stars as a professional man for the first and only time in his career. Dr. Carpenter heads a clinic serving an underprivileged community in a major metropolis. He is surprised to be offered assistance by three women. Unknown to him, the three are nuns in street clothing who want to aid the community but are afraid the local residents might be reluctant to seek help if their true identities were known. The nuns are also facing opposition from the rude and arrogant priest from the local parish.

Carpenter falls for Sister Michelle Gallagher, played by wholesome Mary Tyler Moore, but Sister Michelle's true vocation remains unknown to Dr. Carpenter. She also has feelings for the doctor but is reluctant to leave the order. The film concludes with Sister Michelle and Sister Irene entering a church where Dr. Carpenter is singing to pray for guidance to make her choice.

Mary mentioned that she would be in her nun habit sitting in church looking at a statue of Jesus then looking at Elvis singing, then looking at Jesus, then Elvis, etc. Then they cut to the clip. It was hilarious.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4

Okay Valerie Harper's tweets got to me.   She's got her own health issues.   Dealing with this has to be difficult.

On a lighter note, on a listserv I belong to, someone mentioned that Debbie Reynolds and Mary Tyler Moore used to entertain together at their PTA meetings.   Really trying to wrap my head around those 2 in the PTA.

• Love 7
On 1/25/2017 at 5:33 PM, Calvada said:

MTM was nominated for an Oscar for Ordinary People but didn't win.  It did win best picture, director, and didn't Timothy Hutton win for his role?  I think that year Best Actress went to SIssy Spacek for Coal Miner's Daughter.

Yes, Timothy Hutton won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for Ordinary People.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Mannix star Mike Connors dead at age 91. He had been diagnosed with leukemia a week ago.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/mike-connors-dead-dies-joe-mannix-1201971140/

Twenty-seventeen seems to be picking up the pace.  Still, 91 is a good, respectable lifespan, and at least he's not having to deal with his leukemia now.  RIP, Mr. Connors, and thanks for the memories of growing up watching Mannix.

Just a reminder, 2017 -- Betty White is still off-limits!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 4

Not too long after the Manson murders my mom got  a Toyota  Corolla, which was a teeny car then. We used to whizz around the Hollywood Hills Friday nights. One night we spotted Mike Conners and mom followed him up into the hills. He finally pulled into a driveway, turned off his lights and waited for us to pass and then took off the other way. A few weeks later he was on a talk show and told all about how he was chased through the hills by the Mansons.

• Love 18
9 minutes ago, Willowsmom said:

Not too long after the Manson murders my mom got  a Toyota  Corolla, which was a teeny car then. We used to whizz around the Hollywood Hills Friday nights. One night we spotted Mike Conners and mom followed him up into the hills. He finally pulled into a driveway, turned off his lights and waited for us to pass and then took off the other way. A few weeks later he was on a talk show and told all about how he was chased through the hills by the Mansons.

Awesome story!

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Mannix star Mike Connors dead at age 91. He had been diagnosed with leukemia a week ago.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/mike-connors-dead-dies-joe-mannix-1201971140/

Not Mannix!!!!!

Just reading the cause reminds me of an honorary uncle who used to do my dad's taxes, who died shortly after he was diagnosed with Leukemia. I always thought that pancreatic cancer was the one that took you quickly after diagnosis, because it's not caught until it's too late. Then again, I didn't read the article to see if the cause of death was provided.

2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Not Mannix!!!!!

Just reading the cause reminds me of an honorary uncle who used to do my dad's taxes, who died shortly after he was diagnosed with Leukemia. I always thought that pancreatic cancer was the one that took you quickly after diagnosis, because it's not caught until it's too late. Then again, I didn't read the article to see if the cause of death was provided.

Well, he was 91.  I'd say that alone would have been a sufficient cause of death.

• Love 4
On 1/25/2017 at 3:13 PM, VCRTracking said:

I love her as Laura Petrie. The chemistry between her and Dick Van Dyke was fantastic.

I remember reading that after her son died, Dick Van Dyke called Mary every day.

RIP.

RIP Mike Connors as well.

• Love 3

RIP Mary Tyler Moore. Like so many, I found Mary Richards and Laura Petrie such iconic characters. 

I must say though if you haven't see it, rent or stream or whatever Flirting With Disaster.  A really funny movie and MTM was frickin' awesome in it!!

also RIP Mike Connors.  It wasn't one of them, but I always think of it in connection with shows like 'The Streets of San Francisco' and 'Barnaby Jones'  etc. whch always ended with the tagline 'This has been a Quinn Martin production."  Also, Not gonna lie, I remember my mother watching Mannix because of Gail Fisher's Peggy.  Representation and all, y'all.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I must say though if you haven't see it, rent or stream or whatever Flirting With Disaster.  A really funny movie and MTM was frickin' awesome in it!!

And for the ladies, a Can't-Be-Missed scene featuring Josh Brolin.

• Love 1

I'd like to sneak in here because I fall asleep to the show "Will and Grace" every night, and I've been doing so for years.  Miguel Ferrer had a great part on a Season 1 episode.  It's called "Saving Grace", and Miguel's character goes on a few dates with Will and is insufferable and pretentious.  It's really funny.  It's hard/sad to watch the show now that he and Debbie Reynolds are gone!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, UYI said:

Did anyone else watch CBS' special on MTM tonight?

I watched it. If you're an Oprah Winfrey fan this was for you as a lot of it was as much about Oprah's memories of Mary as it was about Mary. The Dick Van Dyke clip was great, though, as you might expect.

Me TV just started showing Mannix this month. It was because of that I found out that Connors and one of his co-stars, Joseph Campanella, were still alive, into their 90s.

• Love 3

For those of you who get the Sundance channel, they will be showing a marathon of the final season of The Mary Tyler Moore Show starting Saturday at 6:00 AM Eastern time. Set your DVRs if you got 'em.

In further sad news, former NC State basketball player Charles Shackleford was found dead in his home in Kinston, North Carolina. Shackleford, 50, played pro during the 80's. Cause of death has not been released yet.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

In further sad news, former NC State basketball player Charles Shackleford was found dead in his home in Kinston, North Carolina. Shackleford, 50, played pro during the 80's. Cause of death has not been released yet.

This is sort of creeping me out because I just looked him up on Tuesday. I was watching Inside the NBA, and Charles Barkley was talking about team meetings and calling out your teammates not pulling their weight. He said he wouldn't say any names, but right before it went to commercial break, Shaq yelled out Charles Shackleford and one more name I couldn't catch. I had never heard of him, so I googled him, and now I'm weirded out a bit.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, bmasters9 said:

Barbara Hale (Della Street of Perry Mason, last surviving original cast member) has passed on @ 94...

http://metv.com/stories/rip-barbara-hale-of-perry-mason

Oh, no!  :(

RIP, Barbara. I guess Perry needed you. 

Btw, Barbara's son is William Katt, the Greatest American Hero. 

ETA I always loved the subtext with Perry and Della. Always having dinner together. In one episode, Della needed $25,000 and Perry wrote her a check, no questions asked. 

Edited by ennui
  • Love 9
21 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Not Mannix!!!!!

My grandmother died 2 weeks after she was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer, of course she yelled at the doctor that the Army had took them in 1952, but alas the doctor said no.

22 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Twenty-seventeen seems to be picking up the pace.  Still, 91 is a good, respectable lifespan, and at least he's not having to deal with his leukemia now.  RIP, Mr. Connors, and thanks for the memories of growing up watching Mannix.

Just a reminder, 2017 -- Betty White is still off-limits!

Definitely! RIP Mr. Connors.

2 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

Barbara Hale (Della Street of Perry Mason, last surviving original cast member) has passed on @ 94...

http://metv.com/stories/rip-barbara-hale-of-perry-mason

Dammit. Now onto editing my post. RIP Ms. Hale and thanks.

Just read The Washington Post's obituary about her and they said this about Perry and Della in the movies:

They tended to accent the personal, thoroughly platonic bond between Mason and Street far more than the old series.

Really? Just because we don't see them making out or having sex? It doesn't mean that they weren't involved! Heck even Raymond Burr and Barbara Hale played it up! That Della and Perry were having hanky panky (their words, not mine). Their comments about it were nearly identical. His back around 87' and hers for the 50th anniversary.

Some good clips:

One of my favorite clips is one from one of the later movies (post 1987), and Della threatens to not have sex (implied) with him if he doesn't help her out. I can't recall the name at this time, but just hearing the banter between them in the scene had me laughing my butt off. Their chemistry was awesome.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 7

RIP Mr. Hurt, and he just turned 77 on the 22 of January. He's been in loads of favorite shows and films of mine, but I'll always remember the first time I ever saw John Hurt when I was around 4 or 5:

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ennui said:

Oh, no!  :(

RIP, Barbara. I guess Perry needed you. 

Btw, Barbara's son is William Katt, the Greatest American Hero.

ETA I always loved the subtext with Perry and Della. Always having dinner together. In one episode, Della needed $25,000 and Perry wrote her a check, no questions asked. 

Among other roles, William Katt also co-starred in the Perry Mason revival movies from 1985-1988, playing Perry's investigator, Paul Drake Jr., who was supposed to have been the son of the Paul Drake character from the original show.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Among other roles, William Katt also co-starred in the Perry Mason revival movies from 1985-1988, playing Perry's investigator, Paul Drake Jr., who was supposed to have been the son of the Paul Drake character from the original show.

Yep. And he did a good job in it.

• Love 1