Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

'allo 'allo was a crappy show but I thought the way it handled the English actors playing French people but speaking English v. the English actors playing English people trying to speak French (while actually speaking English)  was clever.

• Love 2

'Allo 'Allo! was a magnificent show. Not crappy at all. The humour was about far more than just funny accents and big boobies, a very on-point parody of Secret Army. Gordon Kaye was an unlikely romantic hero, but it all worked really well. And there was a surprising amount of educational value to the show, for those wanting to learn about occupied France in the Second World War. It was also incredibly successful around the world, as odd as it might seem for such an obviously British comedy.

Gordon Kaye cheated death once, when his car was hit by an advertising board, blown through his windscreen during a storm, and I think 75 is a good old age, even by modern standards. He was a very funny man. 

• Love 1

MTM was in such ill health for so long, and had a number of tragedies in her life.  I hope she is at peace now. 

I loved her in the Dick Van Dyke Show and then in her show too.  Great ensembles for each show.  How amazing to be in two classic tv shows. 

• Love 12

We stumbled upon the MTM Show last year on Hulu and ended up binging our way through it after being too young to see it the first time around. Other than a few bits played for laughs back then that would be sexual harassment or stalking now, it holds up pretty well and remains genuinely funny. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, bmasters9 said:

Well, at least she made it to 80-- that mitigates it somewhat, at least IMO.

Considering that she was diagnosed with diabetes in her early 30s, it's quite a feat that she survived to 80.  It sounds like her last couple of years were really tough.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Inquisitionist said:

Considering that she was diagnosed with diabetes in her early 30s, it's quite a feat that she survived to 80.  It sounds like her last couple of years were really tough.

Based on what I'm reading, incredibly so-- that Type 1 diabetes really took its toll on her in her last years here.

• Love 2

The NY Times obituary for MTM is up.

In the 1996 movie “Flirting With Disaster,” Ms. Moore played with aplomb the mortifying adoptive mother of Ben Stiller’s character, who at one point lifts her shirt to show her son’s girlfriend how a bra should fit.

OMG, how could I forget MTM's role in that movie?  She was wonderful, along with George Segal as her husband.

• Love 6

Mary was always one of my favorites because she and I shared a birthday and also the MTM show is one of the shows I remember from my high school days. The theme song is one of the songs on a mixed thumb-drive that I play in my car and it's one that I always belt out.  Fly high, Mary, we will miss you, but we know you are glad to be back with your son again.

• Love 2

In addition to her work on the DVD and MTM Shows, I thought she was amazing in Ordinary People, and I liked her in the little known Just Between Friends.  And yes, she was wonderful in Flirting With Disaster

From some stories I've heard, I don't know if she would have been someone I'd like to be friends with, but she was a great comedic and dramatic actress.

• Love 7

Or when she played Georgia Tann, the evil woman who sold babies back in the thirties.  That role was about as far from Mary Richards as you could get.  I still remember her spitting out the words,"...the illiterate whores who bore them."  Yikes.

• Love 2

Several years ago I was in an elevator with 2 women about my age, and then a younger woman, maybe early 20s.  The Muzak in the elevator started playing the theme from the MTM Show, and the older ones of us just looked at each other and all started talking about how great the show was.  The younger woman looked at us like we were speaking a foreign language.  A good example of how the soundtrack of one's life can instantly bring back memories. 

• Love 5

I hope MTM took solace and comfort in the innumerable women who admired her as a TV role model. Even though she had many, many high points and funny moments in her career as an actress, what I remember most is Oprah sobbing at the sight of her when she was a surprise guest. Her impact portraying a single professional working woman will be felt for a long time.

Edited by Lord Donia
  • Love 11

I don't think she ever gave a bad performance.  I grew up watching her on DVD and MTM.  I don't think younger people really understand just how groundbreaking she was in her eponymous show, but she moved mountains in the 70s that a lot of thought might never move.

44 minutes ago, Inquisitionist said:

The NY Times obituary for MTM is up.

OMG, how could I forget MTM's role in that movie?  She was wonderful, along with George Segal as her husband.

Flirting with Disaster is one of my favorite movies.  And she was great, playing against type.

Now Valerie Harper, you hang on!

• Love 4

Omg I can't believe it. I know she lived to 80 and that is a blessing but I still am surprised to hear it.

I loved her in so many things and then couldn't stand her in Ordinary People.

I am sure she is turning Heaven on with her smile. R.I.P Mary.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

I am sure she is turning Heaven on with her smile. R.I.P Mary.

And I am sure, presumably, that Mimsie is also up there welcoming MTM home.

From third-season (1984-85) Remington Steele DVD:

mtmlogoremingtonsteele.jpg

• Love 3

I remember a scene on the MTM show, where she was antiquing a piece of furniture and had been instructed to hit it repeatedly with a chain. At first, she couldn't do it because she felt bad, and then she started cracking up with every whack. I LMAO.

• Love 3

I knew the quiet was too good to last.

Still, considering all her health problems, 80 isn't too bad. We all remember her as herself and Laura Petrie, but let's not forget the icy bitch mom that got her the Oscar in Ordinary People. RIP.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I knew the quiet was too good to last.

Still, considering all her health problems, 80 isn't too bad. We all remember her as herself and Laura Petrie, but let's not forget the icy bitch mom that got her the Oscar in Ordinary People. RIP.

That's the role I liked her best in, though she was charming as Mary Richards & Laura Petrie.

• Love 2

MTM was nominated for an Oscar for Ordinary People but didn't win.  It did win best picture, director, and didn't Timothy Hutton win for his role?  I think that year Best Actress went to SIssy Spacek for Coal Miner's Daughter.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I loved Laura Petrie and her capri pants.    Then Mary with her "spunk" as a single working woman.    

Lou: "You know what-- you've got spunk."
Mary: "Well, yes..."
Lou: "I hate spunk!"

(premiere of Mary Tyler Moore on CBS, "Love Is All Around," Sept. 19, 1970; from Mary Tyler Moore first-season DVD)

mtmlougrantspunk1.jpg

mtmlougrantspunk2.jpg

mtmlougrantspunk3.jpg

• Love 8
55 minutes ago, UYI said:

What's incredible is that the death count for The Mary Tyler Moore Show is very small--Ted Knight died almost 31 years ago, but Mary is only the second cast member to go. We, amazingly, still have everyone else. 

What was even more amazing was that, until today, we still had both the leads from a show that ran almost 60 years ago.  

• Love 5
5 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I love her as Laura Petrie. The chemistry between her and Dick Van Dyke was fantastic.

She and Van Dyke re-united for the TV production of The Gin Game, as nursing home residents. A bit sad to think of "Rob" and "Laura" there, but MTM and DVD still played beautifully together. Mary's character was a bit like Ordinary People's Beth thirty years later: still proud, still angry at her son, and very much alone.

Everyone remembers her with Dick Van Dyke, but she also did--what's the female equivalent of "bromances"?--really well. Some of her best moments were with other women: Rhoda and Phyllis on her show, Millie on Dick Van Dyke, and with Julie Andrews in Thoroughly Modern Millie.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Dammit.   2017 is picking up where 2016 left off.   Too many already this year.

I loved Laura Petrie and her capri pants.    Then Mary with her "spunk" as a single working woman.    

I disagree.   2017 has been respectful so far.

We lost a couple that really made an impact on pop culture, but no one that hasn't lived a full life.

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I disagree.   2017 has been respectful so far.

We lost a couple that really made an impact on pop culture, but no one that hasn't lived a full life.

Agreed.  And given the fact that Ms. Moore had been suffering from the effects of Type I diabetes for half a century, I can forgive 2017 for this one the same way I forgave it for ending my mother's physical ailments.

But just because I give you a pass on this one, 2017, that doesn't mean that I give you carte blanche to go wild the way 2016 did.  Just so we're clear on that.

• Love 5

I grew up watching MTM and her shows on Nick at Nite-when N&N was a real thing and not when they started airing Full House, FRIENDS, etc- and I loved MTM. Her shows were always my favorite that they played because I really adored her. I'm sad. But I guess like others have said, she had been sick and she did live a full life but..it still worries me. 2016 had deaths coming out of nowhere, left and right. It got really scary there at the end of 2016.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 5