Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

Now I'll have to find occasional clips. Loved Charles Shaughnessy's Shane Donovan! (And yes, also know him as Mistah Sheffield!) Rather shocked it's a contract role as I figured CS would want to do more prime time, but I guess the money was good enough.

I do wonder if it'll be his old character or someone new?

• Love 1
13 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

You would think SOD would have mentioned he'd been on GH before.  Nice journalism-ing.  Is Lulu on staff now?

LOL. And ouch! And totally earned.

He will also only be Mistah Sheffield to me. 

• Love 6

I like the actor but this cast is so bloated. The last thing they needed was another contract character. I regularly watch and still have trouble remembering stories because they keep cycling through 15 different ones due to the cast size.

• Love 4

I agree the cast is way too large. Could he be on contract but a short-term hire? That is, they wanted to lock him in for x amount of time so gave him a contract? Otherwise I fear we'll see him a lot at the beginning and then he'll fade away like everyone who isn't Carly/Jason/Sonny.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ffwbe said:

I regularly watch and still have trouble remembering stories because they keep cycling through 15 different ones due to the cast size.

I think the pacing is a bigger problem than the actual size of the cast. For some stories it makes sense to have it one the backburner for a while (e,g, the mysterious person in Port Charles Aunt Stella is related to) but for others, like what happened to Holly, it's ridiculous because people forget what's going on. How long is Holly going to be trapped in a life-threatening situation? If they couldn't work around Covid, they shouldn't have started it.

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

It feels like they announced his initial casting a zillion years ago, not that I can say I'm happy the day has finally arrived.

Just yesterday I was thinking, "Shouldn't Cam Mat be showing up soon? Don't tell me they cut him already. Ugh, Ryan Lavery* and Jason Morgan on the screen at same time might cause me to spontaneously combust from sheer loathing."

(Yes, I know he's not actually playing Ryan.)

15 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

If thinking CamMat isn't a good enough actor to play a character differently from Ryan Lavery makes me a bitch, call me a bitch. Drew is just going to be Ryan Lavery by a different name. 

I only heard 3 seconds and I don't want to hear anymore.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

If thinking CamMat isn't a good enough actor to play a character differently from Ryan Lavery makes me a bitch, call me a bitch. Drew is just going to be Ryan Lavery by a different name. 

Same. So much same. If he rages out at any woman, while being the good guy, I'm out... unless he calls Carly a cancer.

CM interview with EW: https://ew.com/tv/general-hospital-cameron-mathison-exclusive-first-look/

This quote is not as cute as he thinks it is, it actually makes him and Frank look bad IMO.

CAMERON MATHISON: Before Home and Family went off the year, it got reduced to two days a week so I would have three days a week off in L.A. I had been thinking a lot about General Hospital and working with EP Frank Valentini, who I have known for many years. I reached out to him. I sent a text very respectfully saying, 'Hey, I've got this extra time. And as you know, I'm a huge fan of the show and would love to work with you, man.' Frank just went with it. I was really, really excited. When he responded, it was one of the most exciting things.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

CM interview with EW: https://ew.com/tv/general-hospital-cameron-mathison-exclusive-first-look/

This quote is not as cute as he thinks it is, it actually makes him and Frank look bad IMO.

I'm so not looking forward to this.  All this time I still hoped Billy Miller would return.  I really liked the character, but I don't know if I can buy this actor in this role.   I don't like that we never found out why BM left or whether he was let go, or whether he was ever asked back.  

• Love 2

I think a recast is actually a good idea for Drew. Whether Cameron Mathison is the right recast is a separate issue, but with someone other than Billy Miller in the role, they can reboot the character somewhat. BM's Drew had the baggage of being Jason, which we all knew was baloney until Steve Burton returned. With CM as Drew, it can be a part of the character's history, but with a new actor it's easier to have it fade into the mists of time. Maybe Drew can be more of his own person now.

• Love 6

Billy Miller has not acted in anything in over 2 years at this point.  He currently has nothing listed on IMDb, he's not busy acting that's for sure.  He wasn't asked back for a reason....

9 minutes ago, Hater said:

Billy Miller has not acted in anything in over 2 years at this point.  He currently has nothing listed on IMDb, he's not busy acting that's for sure.  He wasn't asked back for a reason....

Maybe he just isn't interested in returning to GH. 

• Love 6

Billy Miller is on his last shot at making it in primetime and streaming, which is not going to happen but it's what they all do around that age. He might not have left if they'd given a shit about him or Drew once they got Steve back, but they didn't, really, and Miller has always kept on plugging at breaking out while using daytime as the fallback. Like a lot of soap stars.

I don't fault Cameron Mathison for getting paid. I think he's miscast as Drew but it's whatever. The bigger issue is this show is not going to let anyone but Jason be the central star, and that has nothing to do with Kelly Monaco's sleepy performance or inability to leave the show when Miller quit or was fired (any more than Jason Thompson should've been expected to spontaneously quit when Kimberly McCullough left, which some of their fans absolutely took offense at him not doing), or anything like that. It's just the way the show is currently structured. If they do put Sam and Drew back together I'll be legitimately surprised - I suspect they will tease a triangle but ultimately put her and Mathison with other people.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 7

With all due respect to Billy Miller's acting career, it always seemed like he was looking for greener pastures, always. He never seemed to be content to be a lifer in soaps. Nothing wrong with that if he had other opportunities, but it seemed like he was coming and going from Y&R before GH and [as shitty as he was treated here for Steve Burton] I think he was just waiting for something more and using soaps as a backup.

Maybe casting directors just decided to hedge their bets and that's why JT was kept as Billy on Y&R even when Miller became free...and why he wasn't asked back to GH now. I don't know, but perhaps?

In this day and age with soaps, lifers are probably a rare commodity and are seen as the path of least resistance in being able to tell stories without fear of the actor suddenly deciding to peace out in the middle. Shrug.

And/or maybe Miller is making a mint in real estate or something as other non-working former soap actors seem to do.

• Love 4

Yeah, BM had a rep for being noncommittal long before he was ever cast on GH, so I was never surprised that he noped out.  Kind of how we expected RoHo to fuck off at a moment's noticed because he always had a rep for being in and out at OLTL.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Maybe casting directors just decided to hedge their bets and that's why JT was kept as Billy on Y&R even when Miller became free...and why he wasn't asked back to GH now. I don't know, but perhaps?

I think Y&R is still so stuck on a specific mediocre period with popular actors from the late 2000s/early 2010s that if Miller offered to come back to them they'd nuke multiple vets to pay for it. He seems clearly dedicated to following up on that CW show that never really happened for him.

2 hours ago, ouinason said:

Yeah, BM had a rep for being noncommittal long before he was ever cast on GH, so I was never surprised that he noped out.  Kind of how we expected RoHo to fuck off at a moment's noticed because he always had a rep for being in and out at OLTL.

Roger made it clear about ten years ago, and again in a recent podcast interview re: his early OLTL days, that he's just happy to work these days. He doesn't overthink it or get deep into the trauma of the character's issues like he did with Todd Manning, he just wants to provide for his kids and have a good time. He had shed a lot of his baggage by the time he returned to Todd in 2011 on OLTL and said so at the time, he enjoyed himself when he returned, but he also is very clearly happy to be playing anyone but Todd these days. Which is another reason he explicitly chose to stay at ATWT on CBS for almost a full decade despite very poor writing and watching it circle the drain. He's said outright why he left and stayed gone back then.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I can't make heads or tails of that link. What is it saying? (at work and link won't work).

It’s an interview with Katelyn McMullen (Willow) about the current story. here’s the text…

Willow has noticed that something is up with Chase, but she doesn’t suspect that he knows she’s cheating on him. So, what does she think is going on? “She thinks maybe it’s just him feeling inadequate because he’s stuck in this wheelchair. There could be so many things; that he’s feeling helpless, that he’s been working so hard in physical therapy and making very little progress so far. Progress is progress, but he wants it now. So I guess it’s the frustration that he must be feeling with his situation; that’s what Willow thinks is going on.”

This week, Willow has a conversation with Michael and tells him that as soon as they have a solid indication that Chase is moving in the right direction in terms of his mobility, she will tell him the truth about her relationship with Michael. Why does she want to wait until that point? “I think it’s about ensuring that he’s on the right track with his health and his ability to walk, because if they tell Chase too soon, maybe he’ll just give up on physical therapy and won’t continue on the track he’s on. Willow has done some research and learned that as soon as some- one takes five steps, there is the biggest possibility that they will be able to fully regain their ability to walk. It’s a precursor to being fully able to walk again, so that’s what she’s waiting for.”

Obviously, she’s not looking forward to telling him, but how would you describe her state of mind as she contends with the prospect of having to do so? “At this juncture, I don’t think that Willow has fully processed just how crazy this all is, what she’s doing. I think she’s kind of still in the thick of it, thinking, ‘Okay, he’ll hate me, but I’ll just take it, I know it’s my fault, and ultimately I believe I’m doing what’s best for him.’ She’s still [going off of] the adrenaline of it. But I think after that juncture, it may start to hit her, what she’s done and the gravity of everything.”

Willow is also dealing with the reappearance of her mother, Harmony. How do you feel about having your on-screen mom, Inga Cadranel, back at the studio? “Oh, my gosh, I was so excited to see Inga! We were just hugging it out the whole time, laughing between takes. Josh [Swickard, Chase] hadn’t seen her in a while, either, so we were just really exited to get to work together again. It’s been, like, a year! She’s amazing. She’s a very grounded individual, very warm, very kind.”

Given that Willow’s heart is with Michael, what do you think of a potential Chase/ Brook Lynn pairing? “Oh, I think viewers love Chase and Brook Lynn! They have such a great energy together and such a good connection. I mean, I’d probably be rooting for Brook Lynn and Chase! They’re so cute!”

So, where we are in the story is that Chase is deciding what to do with his knowledge of Willow’s adultery. What is your take on how this saga has unfolded? “It’s interesting, because he knows the information but nobody knows that he knows. It definitely expands the stakes of the story and it definitely gives Josh a bunch of fun stuff to play with. It makes the problem that much bigger, and when that happens on the show, and something has a ripple effect and affects everyone, it creates more story. It’s more fun that way! I think it keeps you more on the edge of your seat wondering, ‘What will he do?’ ”

• Useful 1
28 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

It’s an interview with Katelyn McMullen (Willow) about the current story. here’s the text…

Willow has noticed that something is up with Chase, but she doesn’t suspect that he knows she’s cheating on him. So, what does she think is going on? “She thinks maybe it’s just him feeling inadequate because he’s stuck in this wheelchair. There could be so many things; that he’s feeling helpless, that he’s been working so hard in physical therapy and making very little progress so far. Progress is progress, but he wants it now. So I guess it’s the frustration that he must be feeling with his situation; that’s what Willow thinks is going on.”

This week, Willow has a conversation with Michael and tells him that as soon as they have a solid indication that Chase is moving in the right direction in terms of his mobility, she will tell him the truth about her relationship with Michael. Why does she want to wait until that point? “I think it’s about ensuring that he’s on the right track with his health and his ability to walk, because if they tell Chase too soon, maybe he’ll just give up on physical therapy and won’t continue on the track he’s on. Willow has done some research and learned that as soon as some- one takes five steps, there is the biggest possibility that they will be able to fully regain their ability to walk. It’s a precursor to being fully able to walk again, so that’s what she’s waiting for.”

Obviously, she’s not looking forward to telling him, but how would you describe her state of mind as she contends with the prospect of having to do so? “At this juncture, I don’t think that Willow has fully processed just how crazy this all is, what she’s doing. I think she’s kind of still in the thick of it, thinking, ‘Okay, he’ll hate me, but I’ll just take it, I know it’s my fault, and ultimately I believe I’m doing what’s best for him.’ She’s still [going off of] the adrenaline of it. But I think after that juncture, it may start to hit her, what she’s done and the gravity of everything.”

Willow is also dealing with the reappearance of her mother, Harmony. How do you feel about having your on-screen mom, Inga Cadranel, back at the studio? “Oh, my gosh, I was so excited to see Inga! We were just hugging it out the whole time, laughing between takes. Josh [Swickard, Chase] hadn’t seen her in a while, either, so we were just really exited to get to work together again. It’s been, like, a year! She’s amazing. She’s a very grounded individual, very warm, very kind.”

Given that Willow’s heart is with Michael, what do you think of a potential Chase/ Brook Lynn pairing? “Oh, I think viewers love Chase and Brook Lynn! They have such a great energy together and such a good connection. I mean, I’d probably be rooting for Brook Lynn and Chase! They’re so cute!”

So, where we are in the story is that Chase is deciding what to do with his knowledge of Willow’s adultery. What is your take on how this saga has unfolded? “It’s interesting, because he knows the information but nobody knows that he knows. It definitely expands the stakes of the story and it definitely gives Josh a bunch of fun stuff to play with. It makes the problem that much bigger, and when that happens on the show, and something has a ripple effect and affects everyone, it creates more story. It’s more fun that way! I think it keeps you more on the edge of your seat wondering, ‘What will he do?’ ”

Thanks.

I'm sorry, but the actress sounds like a moron. She's just regurgitated Willow's lines from this week.

Guess she's just toeing the party line, because all of that is just bullshit and that Chase is some weak minded, corn for brains idiot, who will die on the spot or give up trying to walk if he's told the truth that Willow has cheated and isn't in love with him. Or ever had been, the way the character's been talking and acting.

• Love 1

@GHScorpiosRule I agree but I’m not sure what you expected? She’s not going to trash the storyline when the show is promoting the hell out of it. Or when she’s getting primo air time. Whatever she may think privately, she’ll say what’s expected if she wants to keep her job.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Sake614 said:

@GHScorpiosRule I agree but I’m not sure what you expected? She’s not going to trash the storyline when the show is promoting the hell out of it. Or when she’s getting primo air time. Whatever she may think privately, she’ll say what’s expected if she wants to keep her job.

I agree. If she goes and trashes the story she might end up like TR getting benched for calling out the writing (yes I know he did mention Wes Wright in that video, haha). If they're going to promote, the show most likely wants everything to be positive and not negative.  She probably knows she's full of shit. 

Edited by Hater
  • Love 3

I thought it was interesting what she didn't say. True the interviewer asked about Chase but KM said nothing about Willow's great love for Michael or how awful she feels that she can't be with him because she has to be careful with Chase not well.

5 hours ago, Sake614 said:

She’s still [going off of] the adrenaline of it. But I think after that juncture, it may start to hit her, what she’s done and the gravity of everything.”

I'm really not interested in Willow self-flagellating and Michael telling her it's not her fault, there is nothing else she could have done. I'll be shocked if Carly's son feels any guilt himself.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Sake614 said:

When I see Willow, I always see the actress thinking, "MUST. MAKE. MILLOW. WORK. RENT. NEED. TO. PAY." 

I doubt she's unaware of the show's history of continuing to pair Michael in failed relationships that never take off and them always 86-ing the actress while Chad is allowed to continue on keeping on despite his inability to spark chemistry with any of his leading ladies. (Including the girl who he actually WAS dating.) 

She did have better chemistry with Chase but it's not like this show is ever going to groom a leading man in Michael's age range.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Maybe, oh, I don't know, use her own words instead of the lines of dialogue that Willow spouted? Even if those words are favorable toward Willow and TWSLS pairing.

I realize this is old news now but with Cameron Mathison joining is there speculation they’ll bring Rebecca Buding back to try and reignite that spark? I doubt it would work, it never seems to when it’s different characters but the same actors (If Stephan Nichols and MBE couldn’t make it work I think no one can). But just curious who they might pair him with. I could see him having chemistry with Rebecca Herbst too though that would be kind of awkward with the characters history. 

• Love 1

I won't believe they're bringing back Rebecca Budig until I see her on my screen. They've written her off three times already. Which should say that there's a solid chance for her to come back, especially with the storyline taking place now. But what it tells me is that they've never truly been invested in her as an actress or her character. JMO. They give contracts to people like KM/Willow though. 🙄

And it's a double edged sword for me, because while I would love to have her back, absolutely love, she'll be paired with one of two actors/characters that I do not want. Plus the writing for her has sucked since literally day one. Why would this time be any different?

Edited by tvgoddess
  • Love 1

There is no actual character to Hayden beyond "Rebecca Budig does riff on her AMC character on GH". That's it. 

I get that people like Budig; I like her. But Hayden means very little to me.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 7

Most people (definitely not me) only liked her after she was paired with Finn. And there is a contingent that wants to see them together again. I'd rather eat rocks. But again, the writing for her character has never been there, since day one.

I was never a Greenlee fan in my AMC time (the mocking references to, as she called her, "Lesbianca" were one turnoff), but Hayden did grow on me. I always thought Budig was good. She's a high-quality daytime performer, and she had chemistry with some of her GH circle outside of her love interests, notably Rebecca Herbst, Donnell Turner, Jane Elliot. I especially enjoyed Hayden and Liz, not the catfights as much as the post-thaw period after they discovered their connection. Liz finally had the interesting sibling relationship they couldn't develop with either of the Sarahs or (mileage might vary on this one) either of the Stevens.  

I also thought she was promising in the little bit we saw of her opposite Coloma's Nikolas. She and TC hadn't been exciting to me, but he looked checked out all around toward the end.

I'd be happy to hear the character was returning, and I'd prefer she be played by Budig it happens. Not getting my hopes up, etc. But I'd happily trade any two of Willow, Sasha, and Maxie for her.

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

she had chemistry with some of her GH circle outside of her love interests, notably Rebecca Herbst, Donnell Turner, Jane Elliot. 

I so agree with this. She worked well across the entire canvas, but especially with those three. She had a scene with Maura West that I enjoyed. Really cute as Fun Aunt Hayden too. Loved her relationship with Liz, both the antagonistic and the sisterly bond. She was more than just her pairings, but that's mostly what she got reduced to which I find sad.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I wonder if they'd bring Rebecca back since they have Cameron and reunite the AMC pair on GH?

Ugh, I hope not. For one thing, Ryan/Greenlee may have been the most obnoxious couple I've ever seen on a soap. Top 5, anyway. Secondly, I HATE when shows pair up actors that were paired on another show, because whatever chemistry never translates. My first experience of this was when Stefan/Bobbie was derailed for Stefan/Katherine, who were awful, even though Patch/Kayla was (is?) a DAYS supercouple.

• Love 2

With CM playing Drew I would find it a terrible stretch to ever see Hayden with him.  Like, more of a stretch than Carly/Franco (because they are both saner).  I also hated Ryan/Greenlee.  RB was much better as Michelle on GL anyway.  

I'm sorry to see Gennie take a break, but at least it's not some dramatic firing or something.  

• Love 1

Yes- it looks like he got one hell of a sunburn and it looks uber painful.  

I would not be surprised if this is why he's cancelling the tour- he looks AWFUL.

Also, do we know if Steve has been vaccinated?  Because that is pertinent to know if it's a breakthrough infection or not.