Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Or when her bisexuality is used as an example of how awesome Sonny is because he acted like a human being and accepted her (he hung out in gay clubs with Lois and Connie all the time, don't ya know!).

This site needs a gagging emoticon because, suuuuurrrreee, ya did, Sonny.

It's embarrassing the lengths this show will go to to tell us Sonny is a good guy.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Wait! This wasn’t known? Although, she looked totally pregnant on Friday’s show whereas before she didn’t. I guess the taping schedule has been wonky & out of order:

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/gh-star-reveals-pregnancy/

Congrats to her but yeah, she looked pregnant to me as soon as the character found out she was pregnant onscreen. I figured they were writing in a RL pregnancy because a Sasha/Brando kid is beyond pointless. 

• Love 7
13 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

She looks very good, but I think writing in her pregnancy was unecessary.

It pretty much always is, AFAIC. Sasha and Brando (and Gladys) are third-tier characters who definitely don't need a baby just because Sofia Mattson is pregnant IRL.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

It pretty much always is, AFAIC. Sasha and Brando (and Gladys) are third-tier characters who definitely don't need a baby just because Sofia Mattson is pregnant IRL.

They could have written her off the show for a year, and I hardly would have noticed. They should have just sent her off to model in Europe for a while or something. Brando at least has vague ties to the canvas, but Sasha and Brando are really just kind of... there. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I believe since FV took over, the only RL pregnancy that wasn’t written into the show was ER’s and Guza/JFP weren’t any better. Even if we can tell the actress is pregnant, who cares? The last thing the show needs is more kids, especially when there’s no storyline purpose behind it.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if Brook Lynn’s faked pregnancy was originally a way for them to write in AS’ pregnancy but they didn’t end up needing to because of the COVID break and AS taking maternity leave early. 

• Love 8
17 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Wait! This wasn’t known? Although, she looked totally pregnant on Friday’s show whereas before she didn’t. I guess the taping schedule has been wonky & out of order:

When she suddenly announced a wedding anniversary when no one knew she was married, and then her character became pregnant, I wondered if something was going on.  Why all the secrecy?

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

They've been writing every actress's pregnancy in for a good long while, so I don't think that's it at all.

I was kidding. I’ve been watching since the 70’s so I know many pregnancies have been written in. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Hater said:

Sofia Mattson is very private. She's been married for 5 years and only recently revealed that too.

Yeah, she seemed so single and ready to mingle. LOL!   I had no idea. I don’t follow her but I don’t recall if her husband has been in any of her Instagram photos. The ones I have seen look like modeling shots but not in the professional sense. I thought the odd part was one minute she wasn’t shown and the next week she was. I think it may have been due to their taping schedule and going dark several weeks at a time. 

On 6/13/2021 at 8:24 PM, ByaNose said:

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything because she hadn't announced her pregnancy. But I assumed she was IRL; she looked a little more broad in the beam, as with real pregnancies. As opposed to the "just wearing a pillow up front" look of non-pregnant actors.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

More sweetness on Twitter, this time KMc and Brooklyn Rae Silzer. And wow, she [BLS] looks so mature!

Now, that Joss, Cam & Trina are college age they should bring her back full time and hire a new set of teens to join her. Since we can’t have Patrick or Robin around for Anna it would be nice to Emma back. Usually, the summertime is when they do more of the teen stories like when (really on Y&R) did back in the day. Are there any children that could be SORAS’d for Emma? I think Wiley would be too much of a leap. I guess Maxie’s son……..if they’re not biologically related. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Are there any children that could be SORAS’d for Emma? I think Wiley would be too much of a leap. I guess Maxie’s son……..if they’re not biologically related. 

Spencer, Jake, and Lila Rae. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, nilyank said:
2 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Spencer, Jake, and Lila Rae. 

Danny.

Now I'm imagining a Danny/Jake/Emma love triangle, with poor Emma having to put up with Danny and Jake's pain from their father not loving them. 

• LOL 6
14 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

More sweetness on Twitter, this time KMc and Brooklyn Rae Silzer. And wow, she [BLS] looks so mature!

Am I missing something here? Brooklyn must be what? 16 now? Wasn't she cast as Emma when she was like, 3?

10 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Am I missing something here? Brooklyn must be what? 16 now? Wasn't she cast as Emma when she was like, 3?

According to IMDB she was born in 2006 and started on GH when she was 4 or 5 in 2011. 

An image from GH on her IMDB page also reminds me that Charlotte could probably be in Emma's teen squad. Having Luke and Robert's granddaughters be besties would be a nice nod to the show's legacy. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
55 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

According to IMDB she was born in 2006 and started on GH when she was 4 or 5 in 2011. 

An image from GH on her IMDB page also reminds me that Charlotte could probably be in Emma's teen squad. Having Luke and Robert's granddaughters be besties would be a nice nod to the show's legacy. 

Thanks @absnow54

After her last visit, a no from me about bringing her back. She was so stilted and wooden. I adore Brooklyn, but she's no Kimberly McCullough.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, ffwbe said:

Congrats to her but yeah, she looked pregnant to me as soon as the character found out she was pregnant onscreen. I figured they were writing in a RL pregnancy because a Sasha/Brando kid is beyond pointless. 

The Show made the same kind of choice when Becky Herbst was pregnant with baby #3. Elizabeth is her usual thin self when she's in the hospital bed at GH due to hypothermia and her doctor, Kelly. announces to her, Lucky and NIkolas that she's pregnant. She gets admitted to Shadybrook immediately after that, and boom, she looks several months pregnant in her scenes in her room. Herbst said in an interview that she told the bosses she was pregnant, and they told her Elizabeth would be pregnant very soon. I guess the idea of a storyline of Nikolas and Lucky WTD drama was too good an opportunity for them to pass up.

However, first first pregnancy was not written into the show.  (When she was pregnant with her daughter, Elizabeth was pregnant with Cameron). 

Lisa L (sp?)'s pregnancy did not need to be written into the show, as there was no reason to give Olivia a second kid.  And as far as I know, the only reason LW had to play the most recent pregnancy storyline was because MB asked to honor a makeup artist named Donna whom he was close to, who passed away. 

Georgie could be SORASed although we just saw her. How old is Jake supposed to be now that Cameron is 18?

Even if they don't actually SORAS them, an early teen adventure a la The Hardy Boys could be fun.

2 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I'd be okay with Emma coming back to PC because that teen scene needs some sprucing up, but I find the actress painfully bad. Her acting hasn't changed all that much. 

And this is why I would dread a return unless the role was recast. But that probably wouldn’t happen because the actress has so much history.  Although… original Maxie comes to mind. So we could get lucky.

• Love 2

Emma and Spencer should be recast and added to the teen set, it was dumb that they aged Cam/Joss when they had made that creepy story of Emma/Cam/Spencer where Spencer was basically the child version of a Lifetime movie stalker but kept Spencer and Emma the same for the actors but, idk, Frank is either too into those two (and when Frank likes you we all know you've got a job) or doesn't see a value in them beyond casual appearances.  

• Love 4
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Brooklyn was 5 when she was cast; Emma was aged slightly when she was cast. She started in 2011 and was born in 2006.

7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Thanks @absnow54

After her last visit, a no from me about bringing her back. She was so stilted and wooden. I adore Brooklyn, but she's no Kimberly McCullough.

Yeah, she’s very cute and acts okay. She doesn’t have nearly the range (then and now) that Kimberly McCullough had has a child and later on aa a teen. They had success with both Kimberly and Jonathan Jackson. Although he was older when he started. 

2 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Yeah, she’s very cute and acts okay. She doesn’t have nearly the range (then and now) that Kimberly McCullough had has a child and later on aa a teen. They had success with both Kimberly and Jonathan Jackson. Although he was older when he started. 

And Amber Tamblyn  

• Love 1
(edited)

So I guess I'll be hatewatching this soon!

OMG, I can't imagine what this interview will be like. Just...wow.

(Side note: Someone at another soap forum used to call her "bootleg Janet Wood" and it ALWAYS made me LMFAO--that's Laugh My Fucking Ass Off, for those not up on their Internet lingo!)

Also: A throwback to one of the most karma filled moments I've ever seen on TV. The video was posted on YouTube 15 years ago, so it's not in the best condition, but it's TOTALLY worth watching.

Edited by UYI
  • LOL 1
15 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Well, considering how FV runs things, JFP might be a step up. (in some respects)

One thing I always found very interesting about comparing JFP/Guza's GH to FV/Ron's GH is that the former was thought to have so many stories that caused so much character assassination and destruction, but overall the scriptwriting and dialogue was considered very strong, whereas with the latter, the scriptwriting and dialogue was not considered to be NEARLY as strong--but--at least in the very, VERY beginning--there seemed to be at least some effort to repair some past character assassination and destruction caused by the past regimes (it didn't last, but still)?

Which leads to the question: Is it better to have weaker scripts/dialogue if the characters aren't being destroyed, or is a little character destruction worth it as long as the characters sound smart with what they're scripted to say? Ideally, the characters should be respected AND the scripts should well written, but when forced to choose one or the other? There isn't really an easy answer, at least in my mind. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, UYI said:

One thing I always found very interesting about comparing JFP/Guza's GH to FV/Ron's GH is that the former was thought to have so many stories that caused so much character assassination and destruction, but overall the scriptwriting and dialogue was considered very strong, whereas with the latter, the scriptwriting and dialogue was not considered to be NEARLY as strong--but--at least in the very, VERY beginning--there seemed to be at least some effort to repair some past character assassination and destruction caused by the past regimes (it didn't last, but still)?

Which leads to the question: Is it better to have weaker scripts/dialogue if the characters aren't being destroyed, or is a little character destruction worth it as long as the characters sound smart with what they're scripted to say? Ideally, the characters should be respected AND the scripts should well written, but when forced to choose one or the other? There isn't really an easy answer, at least in my mind. 

I don't know. It seems both regimes are fairly up Sason's ass, so that isn't good. I will give FV this: he is less racists and as homophobic as JFP/Guza. However, Guza did have a talent for developing characters, even if 90% of them were in the mob and he lost interest in the other 9%.  FV's problem is when he cleaned house of most of the staff writers that were able to keep the internal logic within the show in check, even Guza's plots were totally shit. It also seems that FV doesn't make as much use of General Hospital's casting director, despite JFP own penchant for Friends of Phelps. With both regimes, they were rather shit and storytelling. GH didn't deserve to be saved from cancellation; Frons' own fondness for Sonny & Jason along with the stronger nostalgia for 80s GH is what is kept and is keeping it on the air. 

• Love 1

One point I will always concede in favor of JFP: Her love of Robin Christopher. Just a fabulous actress who I miss in daytime to this day (both she and Fiona Hutchison--Gabrielle from OLTL--are the two I miss the most). 

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, UYI said:

So I guess I'll be hatewatching this soon!

OMG, I can't imagine what this interview will be like. Just...wow.

(Side note: Someone at another soap forum used to call her "bootleg Janet Wood" and it ALWAYS made me LMFAO--that's Laugh My Fucking Ass Off, for those not up on their Internet lingo!)

Also: A throwback to one of the most karma filled moments I've ever seen on TV. The video was posted on YouTube 15 years ago, so it's not in the best condition, but it's TOTALLY worth watching.

I’m confused. Has Phelps been announced to be coming back to take over as showrunner or are you just assuming the upcoming interview will be announcing that?

Edited by DanaK
(edited)
13 minutes ago, DanaK said:

I’m confused. Has Phelps been announced to be coming back to take over as showrunner or are you just assuming the upcoming interview will be announcing that?

NO NO NO! Oh my goodness, no, not at all. I was just commenting on how bizarre it will be to watch this discussion with her, given how much destruction she caused as an EP in her years in soaps. For all I know, she may be retired now.

Edited by UYI
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, UYI said:

NO NO NO! Oh my goodness, no, not at all. I was just commenting on how bizarre it will be to watch this discussion with her, given how much destruction she caused as an EP in her years in soaps. For all I know, she may be retired now.

Hey, at least FV didn't ruin OLTL, so there is that. JFP can't say that about any soap she was EP. 

• Love 5
Just now, Ambrosefolly said:

Hey, at least FV didn't ruin OLTL, so there is that. JFP can't say that about any soap she was EP. 

Santa Barbara and Guiding Light are the closest she can claim to success, but even then...well, if you know, you know. 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, UYI said:

One point I will always concede in favor of JFP: Her love of Robin Christopher. Just a fabulous actress who I miss in daytime to this day (both she and Fiona Hutchison--Gabrielle from OLTL--are the two I miss the most). 

Even if Skye didn't quite mesh in with the canvas (made worse when they undid Skye as a Q), RC had fab chem, especially the sisterly vibe she had with both Sean Kanaen and Billy Warlock's AJs.

• Love 2

I think Cyrus's story dragged on for too long, tbh, Jeff Kober or no Jeff Kober. And the wrap-up was unsatisfying. Dude was supposed to be a huge drug kingpin and he goes out with a whimper. 

That said, I hope Kober gets an Emmy, though I think Max Gail is the likely winner. I wouldn't be too made about that. Gail did some really good work with Mike's Alzheimer story.

• Love 9

Kober's story dragged on too long , floating around the hospital as king 'Where's my mommy?" but I think that the real problem was that Cyrus was never allowed to be a strong enough villain who was ever a real threat to Sonny and Jason. It's like trying to write a story wit half the alphabet missing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

Interesting that he was originally going to be on for just 3 months

I was convinced they were setting up a "who dunnit" for him over a year ago, and couldn't figure out why he was still around.

• Love 1