Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E02: Week 2

• Start Topic

Can we just … wtf is up with Geraldo’s face? I can’t tell if it’s Mark in a mask or if it’s just Geraldo that got stung by a thousand bees.  Ohh … he’s supposed to be Donald Trump? Why?

• Love 2

Missed the entire second hour because Spring season means Bates Motel is back and sorry, crazy serial killing Norman Bates and his equally nutty mother takes precedent. So based on what I did see:

Jodie/Keo - I can't decide if Jodie just keeps getting screwed for going very early in the show or the judges are just really nitpicky with her. I thought she was underscored last week (I'm still baffled by that 6 from Len) and thought she was underscored again tonight. Considering some of the dances that have gotten at least one 8, I thought she deserved at least one as well. She had great rhythm, her Samba bounce and walks were pretty good and she and Keo had really good chemistry. Seems like she's getting a little low-balled so far. 

Marla/Tony - Marla is a gorgeous woman and she had some divine lines but I agreed with Carrie Ann about the in-between parts of the dances. It did feel a bit posey at times. I also feel like it felt a bit rushed at certain points. Now that could have been because of the music but I thought it made her a little unsteady at certain points in the dance. Also, I think she's wasted on Tony and his boring choreography.

Paige/Alan - This was really good and she certainly sold the hell out of it but I was glad Carrie Ann and Bruno warned her about not rushing because it did feel a bit hectic at points. Yes it's a Salsa which is fast but this just felt like it was on speed, which had me a little on edge watching. I was almost holding my breath, waiting for her to make an error or trip at any point because it seemed too fast and a little unsteady at points due to the speed. Alan couldn't hide his glee at finally getting a moment in the spotlight. Dude couldn't even believably express sympathy about Mark - it was all, "well sucks for him but YEAH me!!!" These troupe members all seem thirsty as all hell. The female pros should be careful - drink nothing that's offered to them from Jenna and the other insignificant one. 

Geraldo/Edyta - Only saw a few seconds but I feel like that was more than enough. I'm wondering if that Trump angle he pulled may hurt him. 

Antonio/Sharna - Glad to see the judges crack the whip this week considering I thought, with the exception of Len, they were way too generous with the scores last week. And yes his technique, especially his feet, is incredibly messy. This show far too often lets those football players get by on "charm". If they score him appropriately and make a point of calling out the issues early on, maybe he'll actually buckle down and work at getting it right. 

Sasha/Kim - Thank goodness Carrie Ann mentioned those faces because I adore Kim's dancing and think she is doing amazing but yeah those weird facial reactions, especially that eye thing is really distracting. It's a pity about the mistake because before that she was actually doing really, really well and I loved the choreography and chemistry between her and Sasha. 

eta: Well guess it doesn't matter about Geraldo now. Can't stand him so not sorry to see him go but wow, sucks for Edyta. To come back after all these years only to be the first one eliminated. Of course considering her time on the show before, it's like nothing really changed. The producers always did love saddling her with these duds who were never long for the show.

I'm actually not so surprised Mischa was safe. I think Artem actually has a decent sized fanbase that really wanted to keep him around another week but also, reading around online last week, I saw many comments about feeling bad for her and thinking the judges, especially Len was way too harsh. I mean she'll probably be gone next week but maybe not being the first one eliminated might give her a little confidence to relax just a little. Though I seriously doubt it. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

I feel bad for Artem because I feel like he’s trying but Mischa’s not at all invested and now he’s just trying to put on a happy face. Sharna even gave him a sympathy embrace when they got into the skybox. I don’t know what to make of it because I do think Artem’s a good teacher and knows the DWTS game and I feel like he’s frustrated because he doesn’t know what to do with her apathy or that she doesn’t trust him or something. But you know we’re in a bad spot when the celeb is calling out changes in music as her biggest problem.

I’ll miss you when you’re gone, Artem. Don’t let this experience scare you off DWTS forever. Come back and dance with Edyta for the rest of the season?

Also … I’m gonna say it, I think I like Paige better with Alan. I don’t know why, but Alan’s kind of endeared himself to me and I’ve never been Mark’s biggest fan. The choreography was standard Mark frantic, but I think Paige and Alan handled it well. I … think I’d like to see what Alan could do as a pro and as a teacher. I hope Mark’s back heals fast though. Back injuries suck and it sounds like they’re downplaying how serious it actually is.

On one hand I think Alan could use some humility, but on the other I think, well, if they can keep Keo and Allison despite being pretty mediocre ballroom teachers ... dude has to take his break somewhere. It's a sequin-eat-sequin world on the ballroom floor.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 14

I feel like week 2 is always a wake up call for the celebs.  They get comfortable with having several weeks to prepare their first dance and then freak when they realize they basically have four to five days to learn their new dance.  There are still a ton of people with potential, but they all have a lot of work to do.

I'd be shocked if Nyle doesn't win this.  I know he needs to get past football players and the like, but nobody is going to beat his story and he's both good and charming to boot.   I don't mind the judges docking on a lift if it's a legit lift.  Plus neither of the current football players are that interesting.  Wanya is my personal fave, but I still see Nyle winning.

What did Mischa think she was signing up for?  I get she has no natural dance talent and I can sympathize with that, but she has no desire to be here either.  I couldn't even watch her whole dance.  Free Artem.

Paige did pretty well considering she had to dance with someone new and didn't have ample time to prepare with them, let alone a partner who spends most of his time staring at the camera.  Especially with lifts.  Jodie did decently, but she's too in her head.  I also think she's getting lowballed a bit by going early in the show.  I like Kim, but her dance wasn't that great and I didn't get her being upset over a simple critique from Sasha.  She's going to need to toughen up, but I still like her and she and Sasha are really sweet together.

I just want Nyle and Wanya at the end and I don't care what else happens.  Everyone else can go home now.  I am so happy Lindsay got a great partner.  She's turned out to be my fave female pro (at the moment).  The joy she and Wanya have is infectious.

How much time did Ginger spend on that bench?  Ginger had some good moments but also some missteps.  She's still not quite as great as the judges want us to think she is, but oh well.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 7

I'm not going to miss his ... um ... dancing? ... but the one thing Geraldo has going for him is that he’s willing to go out and not take the whole thing seriously. He’s not under any impression that he’s good or that he’s going to win, and he’s not afraid to do silly things. I think there’s a place for that on DWTS, otherwise you end up angry and petulant like Master P. That said … he’s was never long for this competition. Sorry, Edyta.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 12

One of the worst things about this show is when one of their contestants clearly does not want to be on the season, but they stick around to cash the cheques, while the show itself tries desperately to assassinate their character at every opportunity. Tough to watch.

I had no idea what type of dance Whitney choreographed. I'm glad Bruno called her out on it. Actually, there were quite a few moments where the judges criticized the pros. I think they were being fair. I watched some of the early seasons of this show, and the dance choreography was much better back then. Oh well.

• Love 8

I didn't see Mischa in the final shots either when everyone gathered around Geraldo/Edtya. Something is seriously up there. I feel bad for Artem, but I'm sure Tony is thanking his lucky stars this season!

• Love 5

Alan needs to be a pro. I have love for Mark but has he ever taken a season off? Alan and Paige looked great tonight and I second truthaboutluv in regards to his clear and unrelenting glee to dance with a partner, especially one who is as capable a dancer as she is. He was also extremely affectionate with her, he basically fully embraced her during the whole scoring process. Alan looks like he's ready, and Mark could use a break. 

The two current football players. I think they are both great and quite frankly if the finale was the two of them, Wanya, and Nyle I'd be one happy lady. The men are way stronger than the women this season, that's just a fact. Which is nice actually as it's been a while since most of the pros in the finale were Val, Derek, and a random female pro. 

Mischa... Mischa strikes me as someone who has severe anxiety. She just seems perpetually scared. I know she had some issues after The OC and that's why her career didn't take off like it was "supposed" to but I hope this show isn't too much for her. Just because you are a performer, doing something live and televised is entirely different ballgame and if I was her media team right now I'd be thinking of next steps when this show is over because she's coming off very poorly. 

To that end, it is super irritating to constantly have one female contestant every season (at least for the past 4 or so seasons) that is seen as the difficult contestant. Whether it's Mischa, Tamar, Nastia, Rumer were all painted this way. It different strokes yes, but essentially they were difficult to handle at some point in the season. Mischa with her arms closed, Mischa fixing her make-up, Mischa talking back. It's clear that the producers are portraying her in a way that we're not supposed to like her. 

• Love 7

Geraldo was the right elimination tonight.  Len bought Mischa another week.  I'm also still not sure Geraldo had a bigger fanbase than Mischa.  Most of his fans probably solidified around Marla Maples.  Mischa definitely will be the elimination next week.  Past that, I pleasantly have no clue.  Most of the stars could make a case right now for Week 3 elimination.

Watching Keo was like having a seizure.  He must have danced two hip thrusts for every one movement that Jodie did.  I have a feeling her nostalgia will take her far, but it will not be on Keo's back at all.

I got the feeling Mark was ready to say he's done.  He was obviously in pain, but his facial expressions read that he was over it.  I wouldn't be surprised if Alan just stayed on the rest of the season while Mark "recovers" and keeps playing with BC Jean.  You can tell that's where his heart is now.

Nyle is impressive, but I'm starting to see the c***** in the armor.  You could really tell he was performing off rote memorization and there was very little "wow" factor.  I'm predicting he's going to implode once he gets to multiple dances in a week.

• Love 3

Too bad sour faced Mischa was not the one to go.  It would have been nice to have gorgeous Edyta around for at least one more week.

I hate that Mark is injured.  He is the reason I tune in for this show season after season.  Paige did a great job having to dance with a fill in on such short notice.

• Love 1

I'm just not sure what to make of Mischa. She's not all that great, and she doesn't seem to put much effort into her dances, but she looked like she was about to burst into tears while the judges were critiquing them. I like Artem, and I think he's a good teacher, so I threw them a couple of sympathy votes.

I was glad Doug Flutie was better this week. He's still got a ways to go, but I agree that the paso suited him. I hope he sticks around a few more weeks.

So far I think my favorites are Wanya and Nyle. I think Kim is fun, and I don't mind Jodie and Paige. But I agree with the person up thread who said her temp partner (Alan?) was way too excited about getting to dance and not nearly sympathetic enough to Mark. I still can't bring myself to care about Ginger. I thought Antonio and Sharna were cute togethe.

• Love 4

Ugh -- the Geraldo dance was ugly on many levels.  First of all, he is incapable of dancing.  Most importantly, he decided to be the Mexican dancer who looks like Trump?  The guy who wants to build a nice tall wall (at Mexico's expense)?  Could not be more tone deaf.  Embarrassingly bad. 

ETA:  I can see that this appears to be me calling out Geraldo as a Mexican-American or Mexican immigrant, with no regard to his personal history.  I apologize for this misconception.  Instead, I am calling out the character Geraldo (and Edyta!  Disappointed...) chose to play.  Why the over-the-top Mexico theme?  Yuck.

Edited by msburg
  • Love 4

Thank the Lord for PVRs - I ffed through more than half of that show.  A lot of it is just too embarrassing to watch.

Geraldo looks like he is stuffed with some super heavy puffy metal.

I hope Edyta is in the troupe - they cast a lot of guys in the troupe this year, didn't they?

• Love 2

Last week I felt sorry for Mischa because I felt the judges were overly harsh with her, especially for week one, but this week, I just don't know. Why is she here? She doesn't seem like she's at all interested or even cares. And poor Artem, he seems completely confused as to what to do because Mischa couldn't care less.

Once again, Wanya was my favorite with Kim a close second. I think Kim could be a dark horse and maybe sneak into the top 4.

And Alan, I know getting to be a pro for a night is exciting, but it came at the expense of an injury, maybe saying that's your dream come true wasn't the best way to express your excitement.

• Love 8

Wanya was great !  REALLY good, in all the important ways.  I like that he is standing out amongst all of the buff NFL players in a good way.  And speaking of, Doug Flutie was pretty freaking awesome tonight!  Also liked how fearless Paige was.  While the "star" quality may not be up to snuff for some, the dance quality is really good!

ETA: My keyboard is acting up in some very bad ways....

Edited by msburg
  • Love 5

Ugh -- the Geraldo dance was ugly on many levels. First of all, he is incapable of dancing. Most importantly, he decided to be the Mexican dancer who looks like Trump? The guy who wants to build a nice tall wall (at Mexico's expense)? Could not be more tone deaf. Embarrassingly bad.

Geraldo is Puerto Rican and Jewish.

• Love 5

What I'm really not understanding about Mischa, is who in her camp allowed her to sign up for this?  If Mischa didn't know what she was getting into surely she has management and a team of advisors or at least friends/family that knew this show and knew how bad a fit she would be for this experience.  If her management encouraged this, then she should fire them.  Unless she really just needed the paycheck.  We're in S22 here so nothing should come as a surprise.  Especially since Mischa herself claims she talked to Rumer about doing the show.

Nyle may have shown some c***** in his armor, but I by no means think he's going to have problems when he gets to two dances a week.  Or at least he's not going to have more problems than the rest of these people.  They all have major c***** in their armor for one reason or another and Nyle not having wow factor on week 2 isn't a huge deal when most of these other people, who can hear the music, didn't either.  Wanya was probably the only wow factor IMO.  

I laughed at Alan's glee at Mark being hurt.  Way to feign sympathy dude.  He didn't do a bad job with Paige but I agree with the above poster.  I don't think these pros should be drinking anything a troupe member offers them.  They want in front of the camera and they want it bad.  All you have to do is watch them angle themselves in the camera shot any time the pros/celebs get interviewed in the red room.  I don't think Alan is necessarily a bad dude, but he's fairly immature.  Which I guess is why he's in the troupe.

I was glad to see Doug make some improvement and get better scores before he leaves.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 7

Well, here's my first impressions tonight:

Jodie: Impressed when she was on her own w/the troupe gals.  It lost something (fierceness?) when Keo joined her. Agree with the scores, though I wouldn't have minded one 8 for doing a large segment on her own.

Marla:  Gorgeous legs. Didn't like all those tiny steps at the beginning.  Those long, long legs should have been used fully extended as much as possible. That said, agree with Bruno - it was a bit by-the-numbers. No heat. But also agree with Len - it was clean and polished.  Underscored by a point. Disagree with Len's 6.

Geraldo: Dancing was bad. The "humor" fell flat for me.  At least he can laugh about it.  Same score as last week.

Paige:  Tough choreography but she pulled it off beautifully. Also impressed that she had only 2 hours to get used to a new partner.  But once again, I think she overpowers at times.  That may be the "rushing" the judges are talking about.   I hope Mark is ok.  I think this is the 1st time I've seen someone sub for him.  Mark has lifted much heavier than her.  If she hesitates or resists during lifts or that slide-through, that's where injuries happen. Agree with the scores.

Antonio:  Nice posing but no hip action.  He got the basic moves down, but there was no flow to it.  I follow them both on snapchat. I really have to wonder how much rehearsal time he's actually putting in.   I agreed with the 6's. The 7 was a point too high.

Kim:  Ahh the shock of having only 1 week to learn dance #2.  Energetic but zero hips and she seemed to forget her choreo for a moment.   Again, I agreed with the 6's. The 7 was a point too high.

Nyle:  Nice extensions, an attempt at hip motion, a lot of too-fast movement. I feel bad for the interpreter trying to sign Bruno's comments.  I'm ok with the scores. maybe a point too high. 

Misha:  Not a good rehearsal package.  It's hard to teach someone who is so resistant.   If she's going to have little temper tantrums in rehearsal, don't give me that sad, about-to-cry face at judging.  Agree with the scores.

Witney:  Are they not paying Witney what she thinks she's worth? She seems to be charging for alot of things.  Meanwhile her feelings were hurt for being called a Barbie Drill Sargent?   I think she needs to be careful not to turn people off. Originally she said she was keeping the money. Glad Tom put her on the spot - now she says she's donating it. (?)  Anyway, he started off doing well, but he kind of lost it half way through and was just tending to Witney's flips and tricks.  I'm ok with the scores - maybe a point too high.

Wanya:  I don't like when they have the audience crowd the stage and I don't know how the judges (who remained sitting) could see anything.  He did very well and he really got everything moving and shaking.   Agree with the scores (although I don't think his part in his dance was anywhere near the difficulty of Paige's part in her dance, with the same score).

Doug:  He owned that dance!  What an amazing turnaround from last week. Very impressed.  I wouldn't have minded 3 7's.

Ginger:  Before she dances, I'll just say I'm getting a little annoyed at how she seems to be featured so much more than anyone else in the tv ads and on local ABC news whenever they talk about DWTS.   While she seems like a nice person, and I'm generally neutral about Val, the pimping is turning me off.  They took a lot of time on the bench on an already short dance.  Did she slip or run into Val's face - not sure what happened. Didn't care for the song for Ginger trying to get her flirt on.  I really think she's capable of doing more difficult choreography.  I'm wondering why Val is holding back.  I'm ok with the scores.

Sad to lose Edyta but Geraldo just couldn't dance.  Though last week I thought it would be Mischa leaving first, I think maybe she'll be leaving next.

• Love 3

Wanya and Paige went beastmode this week. Wanya and Lindsay are still my favorite pair, but Paige is an absolute ball of fire. Her fearlessness on those lifts with last minute sub, Alan was something to behold.

I get the critiques of Nyle this week, but I'm not sure how to correct for a disconnect to the tone/mood of a song that he'll never be able to hear. Paige and his translator can try and describe it (and that may be enough some weeks), but to me that's the difference between experiencing something in 2D instead of 3D....

Jodie and Ginger were just alright, but this being the week that everyone has to get used to much shorter prep times from here on out I think they survived reasonably well. Jodie going 1st cost her at least one point, probably two.

They gave Doug his "dance" of the season to hopefully outlast Mischa next week. I still get almost zero musicality and fluidity from him....but hey guess what? The Paso is the one dance where you can mostly skate by on pure athleticism and still sell the hell out the intensity the style requires.

Von and Kim regressed. Especially Von who didn't really look like he did much of anything in that dance. Just a lot of shuffling with no real defined frame whatsoever. Antonio didn't necessarily regress (because his technique was pretty much lacking last week too), he did get a crash course in sexual chemistry with Sharna that will probably come in handy farther down the line. Also not a bad thing to get slapped down in Week 2 to hopefully be able to build back up from these 6's. Still seeing a lot of Jacoby Jones (who finished 3rd).....seriously cocky attitude in the packages and a willingness to skate by on charm and natural athletic ability whenever he's able.

I know Mischa wanted the heck out of dodge, but I'm still happy Geraldo went out first. That dance tonight was pretty tasteless and I'd rather someone who physically isn't able to do the various dances not be kept around basically for the judges and the audience at home to laugh at (not along with). I just have zero idea w/ Mischa. I followed them a little bit on social media this week, and read her blog for People mag and I really thought she'd improve (her attitude and her dance quality). Boy was that wrong. Artem seems utterly baffled as to what to do. I mean there have been plenty of contestants with little to no natural dance aptitude (Ty Murray, Bill Engvall, Alek, Tommy Chong) who figured out how to play the game and navigate the dances in a way that worked for them. Mischa is nowhere close and pretty much has to be gone next week. Right?

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 3
I couldn't watch Alan after the dance.  He was so elated and excited that it was painful to watch. Couldn't someone coach him about how to appear to be gracious rather than like a grinning vulture?

I think that's just Alan. He always seems like an overeager, excited puppy even when he's not supposed to be. I don't think tonight was any sort of malicious glee against Mark, even if that's how it came off. I'll still give him a shot over Keo "thank God I got a good partner" and Allison "If I move fast enough they won't see my teaching failings".

• Love 8

My favorites are the "Boy to Man" and female fighter, both are wonderful to watch!

Can't believe the judges didnt call out Antonio and Sharna for absolutely no hip movement in their rumba!!

I wish Gerardo would have been eliminated last week so we would have been spared tonight. I was embarrassed for him, wow! I've watched since first season and although Edtnya seems like a great person, I feel her choreography has always been lacking.

Love me some Val , but way too much " messing around" in a very short dance to begin with!

Stop with the extra dancers!!!

• Love 3

Thought the judges were harsh on Nyle & Peta's rumba. I thought it was solid.

I really liked Jody & Keo tonight. She seemed far less nervous than last week.

Wanya and Lindsay continue to delight.

Glad Geraldo and his Trump wig are gone. But that means we still have another week (possibly more?!?!) of Mischa. She can go next. I'm liking this season so far, and she is harshing my buzz. Doug may not be a great dancer, but he puts in an effort, which is more than I can say for Mischa.

• Love 10

I get that, but the mariachi costumes in the dance do not show his personal background.  Just embarrassingly awful in optics featuring Trump.

• Love 4

Witney:  Are they not paying Witney what she thinks she's worth? She seems to be charging for alot of things.  Meanwhile her feelings were hurt for being called a Barbie Drill Sargent?   I think she needs to be careful not to turn people off. Originally she said she was keeping the money. Glad Tom put her on the spot - now she says she's donating it. (?)  Anyway, he started off doing well, but he kind of lost it half way through and was just tending to Witney's flips and tricks.  I'm ok with the scores - maybe a point too high.

I follow Von pretty closely since we went to college together.  All the things she was charging for are things that Von pays for in the locker room.  Von and some other football players have been joking about it in the media during their last few interviews.  I assumed that was part of the joke of the package.  I'm not sure Witney was actually keeping the money or they were just being silly.  I do think Von and Witney end up doing something official for some skin cancer charity though.

I get the critiques of Nyle this week, but I'm not sure how to correct for a disconnect to the tone/mood of a song that he'll never be able to hear.

I’m putting this all on Peta, mostly because she's the pro and it's her choreography. She's the one that knows the what the tone of the dance should be, she's the one teaching the tone of the dance, and if it's frantic it's because she didn't do anything to help it not be so. If Nyle is following her lead - literally, because he can't hear the music - she needs to be better at getting him to understand the flow of the dance (a rumba is slow, a paso is strong, a cha cha is sharp, whatever) so that all his dances don't all blend into one ballroom hybrid.

I'm still really impressed with Nyle and I think his challenges will be different than we thought. He's proven he can move and that he doesn't have a problem staying on time, but now he'll have to trust Peta to help him adapt to different styles. He seems willing, so it's ultimately going to circle back to Peta and her teaching ability and adaptability. 

• Love 6

The dance referenced the wall Trump says that he is going to build. The dance had a "huge" MEXICO banner with a cactus and Bienveidos, a man with a Mexican hat. The drums suggested Cuba to me. General tropical with the palm trees and his shirt. It was a play on the wall anyway, imho. Some years the "old coot" that was funny could stay for a few weeks. Too many good dancers this year.

I'm glad Geraldo is gone but I wish he'd taken Misha with him. She seems so miserable and doesn't seem like she's trying at all. Poor Artem looks like he's at a loss on what to do. Was it me or did it seem like she was disappointed she wasn't going home. I want to good dancing but if you're not the best dancer you could still look like your putting in an effort. Doug is not a good dancer but he look like hes trying his best and that makes him endearing. This is a fun season so far with no clear cut winner and Misha acting like a miserable brat is particularly noticable.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 9

The worst things you can be on this show are apathetic/whiney or forgettable.  In Mischa we have the former.  The crowd didn't even react well to that dance and zero loud boos at the critique....not a good omen.  In Marla, we may have the latter.  Her dance was nice...not great...not awful.  Everyone else had a storyline going.  All they could say  about her was she ate and drank weird stuff.  I don't think she has a big enough fan base to pull her through very long.

• Love 3

I like Latin night overall and think aside from Ed Sheeran and Justin Bieber, all got fairly decent and appropriate songs for their dances.

A few opinions on tonight's dances:

Jodie/Keo: She suffered from going first because her score should’ve been a point or two higher compared to some other dances. I like that she lived up for this Samba. It had fire and attack from her. Would’ve liked a Samba roll or maybe a little more bounce action, but all in all, a strong Latin from her.

Paige/Alan: I wasn’t sure exactly how Paige would fare with Latin, but I was quickly impressed by this. Lots of rhythm, great hip action, and I loved the fast, sharp turns. Lifts were great and fearless. I have to commend her for adjusting so well to dance with someone new so early in the season. Makes me confident the switch up won’t trip her up. This was easily my favorite dance of the night and of the season so far.

Antonio/Sharna: Antonio is someone who was an early projected winner and not since Hope Solo was a pre-season frontrunner have I been this underwhelmed by it. There is talent there but it’s very rough around the edges, plus he’s coming off cocky and arrogant a bit

Nyle/Peta: Tonight and last week were both a bit hectic and jerky. Last week he got a pass because it was fast and it was surprising how well he did for being deaf, but I can see this being a constant problem.

Wanya/Lindsay: He’s good, maybe the best male in terms of ability and showmanship and Lindsay has fun, fresh choreo. Like Kim, it’s hard to really gauge how well rounded he’ll be with two back to back party dances. He could be hard to beat though, and we all know TPTB want another male winner after only having 2 since season 14

Ginger/Val: I hated how long it took to start and even more so the song they got saddled with. She's good, but needs to watch her shoulders, they creep up sometimes on extending her lines. She strikes me as "shock elimination" as much as I like her. 

• Love 2

The worst things you can be on this show are apathetic/whiney or forgettable. In Mischa we have the former. The crowd didn't even react well to that dance and zero loud boos at the critique....not a good omen. In Marla, we may have the latter. Her dance was nice...not great...not awful. Everyone else had a storyline going. All they could say about her was she ate and drank weird stuff. I don't think she has a big enough fan base to pull her through very long.

I was shocked when the audience did not boo at ALL at Mischa's low scores. Not that I don't agree, but as a viewer, you just get very used to hearing it. A glaring silence. The producers/editors also obviously agree, given that package.
  • Love 2

I enjoyed Nyle and Peta's Rumba tonight.  My complaint is with the judges esp when they talk to Peta and tell her that she needs to do this or that with Nyle instead of talking to them together.  IE: Peta make sure that Nyle follows through on this or that movement.  Instead they should say "Nyle you need to follow through with your arms, make them a continuous motion etc".  Even though he can't hear them, Ramon is there to translate (they even place Ramon behind the judges so that Nyle is looking in their direction) and they need to speak to him as he is there.  By talking about him instead of to him they are ignoring him.  I know that some comments were directed to him but where as other contestants were talked to, Nyle was talked about.  (Hopes this makes sense)

Edited because grammar is important!

Edited by mimirose41209
  • Love 17

Most of the dances seem like they lack content, except for Wanya, Paige, Jodie, and Nyle.  I feel like some are finished in 30 seconds. I think Ginger 's dancing is a disappointment.  I see her going in the middle of the pack.  Poor Artem.  He is at a loss.  I think he gave up since his "partner" did.   She was so hoping she got eliminated tonight and so was I.  I was rooting for Flutie tonight.

Edited by dirtydi
  • Love 1

Mischa and her excuses make me realize why athletes never use them: "It was a hard day - I had to dance to live music in dress rehearsal." Oh, the tragedy! What a hardship. A lot of past contestants danced a whole season with injuries (Meryl comes to mind), and never even mentioned it, yet alone used it as an excuse. Poor Artem.

Another nod to the athletes - can you imagine any of them bursting into tears and complaining like Kim Fields did? ("You hurt my feelings when you said I couldn't do a step."). Some of these celebs are so pampered. It's no wonder why so many athletes and Olympians do well and win.

• Love 7

Witney said she was giving the money to a charity for skin cancer. I remember reading that she had skin cancer on her foot. She had surgery and was not sure she would be able to dance again. I believe her mom is a melanoma survivor.

Witney said she was giving the money to a charity for skin cancer. I remember reading that she had skin cancer on her foot. She had surgery and was not sure she would be able to dance again. I believe her mom is a melanoma survivor.

I know she's a skin cancer survivor, but that answer seemed totally off the cuff like Tom forced her into it.  Knowing Von's football related interviews the last few weeks have included what fines he has to pay in the locker rooms (farting, cussing, being late are all offenses), I'm pretty sure that package was supposed to be taken as a joke until everyone took it really seriously.

• Love 1

So, DWTS tipped their hand tonight. Tom specifically called Geraldo, Mischa, and Doug the "bottom three." Not surprised with those being the bottom, only surprised they didn't do the faux "jeopardy." As someone who watches the show for good dancing, I'm happy to see the three worst dancers were in the bottom. Gives me hope for the upcoming order of eliminations.

One of the entertainment magazines was reporting before the season began that Witney was fining Von $100 for tardiness, so I don't think it's a gag for the benefit of having a funny rehearsal package.

Edited by Mbeaker
  • Love 1

I'd be shocked if Nyle doesn't win this. I know he needs to get past football players and the like, but nobody is going to beat his story and he's both good and charming to boot.

This. Let's face it, the show has been trying to have a winner with a disability for awhile now. Amy came the closest but there was the Meryl train to contend with that season (oh and Maks' 10-year journey to the mirrorball, let's not forget) and nothing was stopping that. This season there is no clear and obvious ringer and super popular favorite and he is just the type of contestant to pick up the casual voter as the season progresses. Barring something wonky, as in his technique stalling (which I can't see happening because he clearly has very good natural rhythm), I think he's the favorite to win. And it'll be well deserved for Peta who I'm sure is really working hard to get him to look as good as he does and the dances to go as smoothly as they have.

What I'm really not understanding about Mischa, is who in her camp allowed her to sign up for this? If Mischa didn't know what she was getting into surely she has management and a team of advisors or at least friends/family that knew this show and knew how bad a fit she would be for this experience. If her management encouraged this, then she should fire them. Unless she really just needed the paycheck.

I'm going to go with the bolded. According to some of her interviews before the season started, the show has approached her for many years and she said no. So there had to be a reason she agreed this time and since it's clearly not due to a love for dance and wanting to learn dance, I have to go with the paycheck. The Mischa situation is weird for me. As someone who watched The O.C. as a teenager, I remember not liking her at all, especially when it seemed the media was so up her ass as the next big thing simply because she was skinny and tall. I always thought she was mediocre at best as an actress and at first enjoyed seeing how much her career went nowhere after The O.C.

That said, she has been through some really awful stuff in the last few years and had a full on mental breakdown where she was actually institutionalized, I think on a 50/50 hold. So this whole situation just makes me really uncomfortable to be honest. I'm just not sure this show is good for her mental state and she does not seem to be enjoying it at all and then it's just leading to criticisms and negative comments online about her piss poor attitude and the whole thing just seems like a bad idea for all involved. May it end very soon.

Alan needs to be a pro. I have love for Mark but has he ever taken a season off? Alan and Paige looked great tonight and I second truthaboutluv in regards to his clear and unrelenting glee to dance with a partner, especially one who is as capable a dancer as she is. He was also extremely affectionate with her, he basically fully embraced her during the whole scoring process. Alan looks like he's ready, and Mark could use a break.

Here's the thing though. As decent as Alan was which as a professional ballroom dancer, I would expect him to be, the choreography and entire performance was really all Mark as he did not get injured until camera blocking. My point is it is not just a matter of how well a Pro can dance and perform themselves but how well they can one, teach a celebrity who sometimes will not come with as much natural talent and experience as someone like Paige and two, how well they can come up with new and interesting choreography week after week.

So yeah Alan grinned his way through a great performance with Paige but I for one am not ready to boot Mark for him, no matter how much I hate Mark's hair and thinks he looks like he smells bad with that awful look he's working right now. And it also doesn't help that Alan just seems so unbelievably desperate and thirsty to me, what with the constant douchy shirtless poses. Like enough dude... That said, I would definitely take him over Keo and Alison or hell pass on all three.

While I enjoyed Nyle and Peta's rumba as a performance and I still believe he has some incredible rhythm and great natural talent for dance, it did feel a bit hectic at points and as result affected the romance and passion of the dance. But that's on Peta as the choreographer. She looked gorgeous though. I loved that costume.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 8

Why is Mischa Barton on this show???  She just looks so miserable.  I feel sorry for her partner, Artem.  I would have rather seen her go than Geraldo Rivera.  At least he tried to have fun with it.

Edited by ifoundit
  • Love 5

I'm going to go with the bolded. According to some of her interviews before the season started, the show has approached her for many years and she said no. So there had to be a reason she agreed this time and since it's clearly not due to a love for dance and wanting to learn dance, I have to go with the paycheck. The Mischa situation is weird for me. As someone who watched The O.C. as a teenager, I remember not liking her at all, especially when it seemed the media was so up her ass as the next big thing simply because she was skinny and tall. I always thought she was mediocre at best as an actress and at first enjoyed seeing how much her career went nowhere after The O.C.

That said, she has been through some really awful stuff in the last few years and had a full on mental breakdown where she was actually institutionalized, I think on a 50/50 hold. So this whole situation just makes me really uncomfortable to be honest. I'm just not sure this show is good for her mental state and she does not seem to be enjoying it at all and then it's just leading to criticisms and negative comments online about her piss poor attitude and the whole thing just seems like a bad idea for all involved. May it end very soon.

That's how I feel about Mischa too. 

Jodie improved this week, I thought. Much better face.

Marla has amazing flexibility.

Donaldo, I just can't with you. John Hurley and Cheech Marin were showing major second hand embarrassment. 

Paige did an amazing job, especially after being worried about lifts and then having a brand new partner. Hope Mark recovers soon.

When Mischa went behind the drummers, I honestly thought she had just quit mid-dance. Her movement was so un-dance-y, and combined with her attitude I thought she walked off. Len's meanness saved her this week, but I will be shocked if she makes it through again. She's just so wrong for this show.

Wanya was a lot of fun, and the guy can move, but I wish they didn't put the crowd in the way of the cameras. 

Nyle is still my pick to win. 

• Love 1

Here's the thing though. As decent as Alan was which as a professional ballroom dancer, I would expect him to be, the choreography and entire performance was really all Mark as he did get injured until camera blocking. My point is it is not just a matter of how well a Pro can dance and perform themselves but how well they can one, teach a celebrity who sometimes will not come with as much natural talent and experience as someone like Paige and two, how well they can come up with new and interesting choreography week after week.

I agree on both of these counts.  As much as I don't like Mischa's attitude, I'm also leery of the fact that this show can't be good for her mental health.  The sooner that she gets off of it and away from the harsh public critique and media headlines, the better.  Also I want Artem to get an amazing, capable partner next season.

I also agree on Mark/Alan.  Alan certainly deserves praise for stepping in at the last minute and learning the dance quickly, as pros are often asked to do, and he was good with Paige...but Mark was still responsible for both the choreography and the teaching.  Somebody said that they saw Keo and Val trying to help Paige backstage too before she danced, which wouldn't surprise me since Keo and Val are Alan's closest buddies on set I believe.  I think Alan sort of fancies himself a mini Val.  It reminds me of last season that time Jenna filled in for Tony's partner who couldn't be at the live show.  She stepped in last minute and learned the routine and performed it well and then the peanut gallery tried to hold that up as exhibit A of why she should be a pro.  Because she can dance well with another pro?  Being a good dancer has nothing to do with being a good pro on this show.  Two completely different skill sets.  I'd like to think anybody employed by the show as a professional dancer is a good dancer.

• Love 4