Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E02: Week 2

• Start Topic

The thing with Mischa is uncomfortable because I feel for her for the various reasons others have stated, she had a full on breakdown and pretty much disappeared from the limelight for years. It's obvious that her people put her in this to get her back in the spotlight but I don't think this was the right way to do it; one, it isn't good for her mental stability to be judged on a weekly basis and dependable on votes, she obviously doesn't want to be there. The thing is, I think if she was able to just let go and have fun and not take it so serious, it would be better. I think sadly, she is the type of person who worries about how things look. Granted, I do think last week and the harshness of the judges may have played a part in her attitude but I also think if she let go, it would maybe endear her more to the viewers and possibly the judges, look at Harlodro, he sucked, he knew he sucked but he still went out there and had a ball with it. Don't get me wrong, I don't really like him but I really like when these star contestants just do it BIG! It's why I loved Tommy Chong and was so excited the season he was on. He was the greatest. 

• Love 2

I know she's a skin cancer survivor, but that answer seemed totally off the cuff like Tom forced her into it.  Knowing Von's football related interviews the last few weeks have included what fines he has to pay in the locker rooms (farting, cussing, being late are all offenses), I'm pretty sure that package was supposed to be taken as a joke until everyone took it really seriously.

Ahh thanks - I didn't know the fines were a football locker room custom.  I was going by Witney's snapchat . 

Von said he'd paid $1500 so far so at $100/tardy minute and $100/fart and $100/cuss, he's only had 15 instances in 4 weeks.

This seems like a really low-scoring season. I like it. It's hard to distinguish the good from the meh when they're all getting 7s Week 1. Those 4, 5 and 6s were well-deserved.

Geraldo dressing up as Donald "I'm going to build a wall" Trump during Latin week was just gross. It wasn't even funny.

I can't get excited about Paige.

Mischa is getting a serious bitch edit. I don't think I've ever seen it so blatant this early. They also seem to be going out of their way to catch her bad moments during the live-broadcast. I'm curious if it's earned or editing.

Wanya for the win!

"Blood flow." I laughed out loud. Line of the night.

• Love 3

I was a little underwhelmed with a lot of the dances last night.

I thought Jodie did well. surprised she scored so low.
I thought Paige did very well. How did Alan learn the dance so quickly, and from who??
I thought Nyle did very well again.
Wanya had the best night, IMO.
Doug's dancing was greatly improved from the previous week.
Thank goodness Geraldo left, but it is sad losing Edyta after she just returned.
Misha is not likable at all.
The others aren't even worth mentioning - they were all just so so.

• Love 5

I'm totally bummed about Mark's injury and hope this doesn't impact their votes if Mark doesn't recover for the season! I disagree that his heart's not in it because of his music career with BC Jean (what a dumb name). He seemed more excited than ever to have Paige and also seemed really unhappy about this new guy filling in so well with Paige. It also probably literally added insult to injury that Alan was more the muscular man that Paige was complaining Mark wasn't. I love Paige as a dancer (she's not even as good a fighter yet as she is a dancer) but I didn't like that she has this running theme of teasing Mark in this emasculating way.

I warmed to Antonio when he responded to Sharna's question of "Have you ever seen Dirty Dancing?" with "I think I'm seeing it now." LOL! They have hot chemistry. Too bad his dance didn't live up to that.

I like everyone this season, even troubled Mischa (Len was way harder on her than Geraldo because I think he's never heard of Mischa before but knows Geraldo of course). Even Geraldo was tolerable as he rightfully went out first so we weren't stuck with him. And he was down-to-earth instead of deluded with his ego to the high heavens like it was on Celebrity Apprentice. 

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 3

I'm totally bummed about Mark's injury and hope this doesn't impact their votes if Mark doesn't recover for the season! I disagree that his heart's not in it because of his music career with BC Jean (what a dumb name). He seemed more excited than ever to have Paige and also seemed really unhappy about this new guy filling in so well with Paige. It also probably literally added insult to injury that Alan was more the muscular man that Paige was complaining Mark wasn't. I love Paige as a dancer (she's not even as good a fighter yet as she is a dancer) but I didn't like that she has this running theme of teasing Mark in this emasculating way.

I agree with this. Mark wears his emotions on his sleeve...last week, he was just beaming dancing the foxtrot with Paige and tonight, he looked so bummed that he couldn't dance the salsa with her. I too hope Paige will lay off the teasing as we move forward.

• Love 7

I agree with much of what has been said.  My only comment beyond that is why do the pros choreograph these silly and awful dances for the older contestants?  They make them look worse, and like they are being made fun of.  They do it with so many of the older contestants, and I hate it.  Geraldo's was just like many we have seen in previous seasons.  I get they can't dance well, and they are trying to hide it, but I just get horrified by these routines.  I would prefer they do a really simple dance and try to learn a little technique.  Make it a little classier?  

• Love 9

I warmed to Antonio when he responded to Sharna's question of "Have you ever seen Dirty Dancing?" with "I think I'm seeing it now." LOL! They have hot chemistry. Too bad his dance didn't live up to that.

I do not see any chemistry at all between them.  

Erin needs to lay off her sexual innuendo during her "interviews."   She was practically drooling over Antonio.

agree on both of these counts.  As much as I don't like Mischa's attitude, I'm also leery of the fact that this show can't be good for her mental health.  The sooner that she gets off of it and away from the harsh public critique and media headlines, the better.  Also I want Artem to get an amazing, capable partner next season.

I thought Mischa's mental issues stemmed from her drug use.  She is not a good dancer and her attitude is worse.  I do not think it is a bad edit either.

• Love 4

Like others have said, watching Mischa is difficult because I do know her history and I do worry about how she's handling this situation. I assume whatever people she has left were more concerned about her financial situation that if this was really the best fit for her. It's not and it really shows. Artem seems like he's at a loss, but at the same time, why choreograph sections where she's out on her own? She doesn't have the command or confidence to make that look anything other than silly. Keep her in hold. If you really have to put her on her own, sit her on a bench, Ginger-style. There are things he could be doing to make this a little less painful. He's not new to this, so I can't figure out why he wouldn't, unless its producer driven.

Loved Paige again. She was my favourite last week too and this week I thought she was better. It was a little frantic but considering the situation, I can't be surprised. She didn't have much time to practice with Alan (two hours seems low considering Mark hurt himself yesterday, but who knows with dress rehearsal and stuff?) and she had that big lift that would make anyone nervous. Plus, Alan was out there so hyped that she probably fed off of that too. Still, there's no doubt that she's the real deal talent wise and I want her to stick around until the end. I am worried about Mark. MRI, bone scan and CT right? Mark has grown on me like a fungus these past few years but even if I hated him the way I used to, I don't want to see any dancer injured. That's so tough for them.

As for Alan, he was very happy to be out there. I can't blame the guy, but its not endearing to be so excited that a dancer got injured. Other people who have had to step in have managed to be gracious and at least fake some concern. I'm not really a fan of anyone in the troupe though because they all just seem so thirsty for the camera. Jenna in that opening number made Lacey Schwimmer look camera shy. I'm not one to swear too often here, but watching the troupe all I ever think is calm the fuck down people!

Nyle was good on anyone's merits and very good on his own. It was frantic and I do mostly put that on Peta. She choreographs the dance so if she doesn't put in the slower, sexier moments its not like Nyle can create them out of the air. I do think they need to figure out a way  to improve tone as a team. I don't know if Nyle needs to read the lyrics of each song, or Peta needs to give him a character (not like Donald Trump, but like guy trying to pick up for a Cha Cha or passionate lover for rumba) to help him understand the tone the music creates. I am sure they'll figure it out, but I'm glad it came up early so its something that they can pay attention to now while there's cannon fodder. I will say this; last week was stronger. I don't know if that's because the rumba tends to be a harder dance for most guys or because of the time crunch, or both but it does make me nervous for Nyle as we get farther along in the competition. I stanned hard for Marlee and I still think she's one of the best natural dancers to ever come on this show but there came a point where she couldn't keep up because how she learned was so different. I worry that Nyle may hit that wall too and not because he isn't great (he really is) but because this show is its own very crazy beast and the schedule gets nuts about halfway through the season.

• Love 2

Wow, Flutie was WAY overscored. He got the same score as the football players and Nyle? Mischa needs to go, and quickly. Ginger and Paige are good, but their personalities are annoying. I loved Wanya and the football players. Jodie is good, too. It wasn't Nyle's best dance, but I still like him.

Personally I'd be fine if Mark got replaced. I never cared for his choreography. Give Alan a chance and see what he can do. 

Keo and Tony seem so happy to still be there. I'm happy for them.

• Love 1

Stop with the extra dancers!!!

STOP, STOP, STOP!  It is a huge background distraction. Could barely see Doug Flutie with that cast of  thousands behind him!

I just want to watch the two people dancing on a normal dance floor. Is that asking too much???

• Love 15

I don't think Alan learned the dance in two hours - although he may have.  I'm fairly certain a few seasons ago it was mentioned that one of the troop learns the dances in case they are needed.  I think various members of the troop are paired with pros they shadow and learn their choreography.  We've watched various packages with troop members helping out at practice sessions etc.  I think it's the equivalent of having an understudy for plays.   Alan and Paige looked very comfortable together and neither one of them seemed to have any problems with the closeness they seem to have.  I do feel terrible for Mark for his injury - backs can be very tricky and he obviously knew what had happened, so it's not the first time he's had this injury.

• Love 2

STOP, STOP, STOP!  It is a huge background distraction. Could barely see Doug Flutie with that cast of  thousands behind him!

I just want to watch the two people dancing on a normal dance floor. Is that asking too much???

I agree 100%  It's all too much and makes me want to crawl out of my skin.  I don't know where to look, there's so many distractions.

Geraldo was so confusing - he seems to be in great shape for his age, yet moves like he's made of cement.  I really disliked the play-acting before the dance.  It seemed terribly under-rehearsed, almost ad-libbed.  And I kind of can't believe anyone thought it was a good idea to have Geraldo impersonate Trump during such a politcally charged time, and also with Trump's ex-wife in the cast.

There seems to be quite a bit of cringe-worthy "jokes," awkward pauses, etc. this season.  Even the judges seem to be stumbling over what they want to say, and I don't remember this show being so oddly constructed a few seasons ago.  I miss the old-school show too much, I guess.

• Love 3

I agree with much of what has been said.  My only comment beyond that is why do the pros choreograph these silly and awful dances for the older contestants?  They make them look worse, and like they are being made fun of.  They do it with so many of the older contestants, and I hate it.  Geraldo's was just like many we have seen in previous seasons.  I get they can't dance well, and they are trying to hide it, but I just get horrified by these routines.  I would prefer they do a really simple dance and try to learn a little technique.  Make it a little classier?  

Remembering Geraldo from Celeb Apprentice, I am sure that the skit he did was his idea, and that he insisted on it, and refused to hear anything else.   It's who he is, and how he presents his ideas as so much better than anything anyone else could come up with.   I am positive that Geraldo thought his "humor"  would be endearing and would outweigh his inability to dance. 

I think  Edyta likely went along with it in order to not argue and end up with an uncooperative partner. 

• Love 4

Most of the celebs spend a decent amount of time around the troupe, just because I feel like they are always around and are often in the celeb dances, even just as background.  So I would expect Paige to feel fairly comfortable with Alan in that sense.  Plus Mark had some sort of dinner party for Paige's birthday over the weekend and I'm pretty sure Alan was one of the pros that showed, so they must know each other well enough.  Still hard for Paige to dance with someone new on only week two, but I don't think Paige/Alan were strangers either.

I also think Mark is invested in Paige.  In general I think Mark's dance career is winding down.  He has a lot of injuries and I do think his heart is now in his music, but IMO he is more invested in Paige at week 2 than he was in Alexa all of last season.   I really don't think he liked Alexa very much.  Either that or he didn't like Carlos or the whole married couple schtick.  

One thing I do think the show needs is to find some taller male pros.  So in that sense Alan is a good addition.  Most of the popular male pros are not overly tall so it's always hard to pair up the taller female celebs and they often wind up dancing with people who are the same height as them in heels, and in some cases taller.

Unfortunately I get the impression the show wants troupe dancers that are extra.  Not sure why.  The only troupe member I liked was Brittany Cherry, who was on for the last two seasons.  But of course the show kicked her to the curb because the troupe needs four males?  They kicked her to the curb last season too and then asked her back and the very last second.  She's also BFF with Emma so I can't imagine either is very happy with DWTS at the moment.  Emma of course is being gracious because she's Emma, but also because she's playing the good girlfriend and rooting on Sasha,

Jodie has great rhythm. She seems to feel the music.

I love, love,love Wanya but he seems like he could fall or drop Lindsay at any moment, IMO. He just does not look grounded or steady.

Val, I love you but quit with the messing about.

Edited by gohawks
  • Love 1

There seems to be quite a bit of cringe-worthy "jokes," awkward pauses, etc. this season.  Even the judges seem to be stumbling over what they want to say, and I don't remember this show being so oddly constructed a few seasons ago.  I miss the old-school show too much, I guess.

I hear you. This season is so "choppy". They are going in a million directions at once.

At least Len is back.

• Love 2

My only comment beyond that is why do the pros choreograph these silly and awful dances for the older contestants?  They make them look worse, and like they are being made fun of.  They do it with so many of the older contestants, and I hate it.

Probably because the pros realize their partners have no dance ability and aren't going to improve so they're throwing all their eggs into the "entertainment" basket hoping voters will pull for them just for the laughs. When Tom asked what the strategy was behind the Trump routine Edyta replied "because this is supposed to be fun and we wanted everyone to have a good laugh." That's about the best they can hope for with celebs like Geraldo or Cloris Leachman.

When Marla was enumerating the many healthful things she does to stay in shape she said "I drink lots of PH water." What the hell is PH water? Is that a name brand for some kind of designer water? Or does she mean that she drinks lots of ph-balanced water? Probably the latter but it struck me as somewhat pretentious, like she doesn't even know what she's talking about. That aside I have no qualms with healthy living.

Someone up thread mentioned the troupe members and their desperation for camera time - I have noticed quite often there is some random shirtless guy in the background shot whenever Erin is interviewing the couples after their dance - and sometimes they make a point of crossing in front of the camera too.

Speaking of interviews this is the second week in a row where Nyle didn't get an interview with Erin. I imagine they think the logistics of getting his interpreter up to the sky box or back to the red room is too difficult but this could easily be solved by positioning him in one of the spots where they break for commercial before revealing the scores. It irritates me they keep skipping the interview portion, because I'd like to see more of his personality in a spontaneous situation (vs. the rehearsal package). Nyle looked a little baffled when he was trying to interpret Bruno's comments, LOL.

• Love 2

Mischa's attitude is horrible, and has been for years. Girlfriend seems to see herself as a Meryl Streep when she's really a D list actress with drug and alcohol issues. Her contempt for the show and everyone involved with it is very, very apparent. I'm not familiar with her partner, but he seems competent enough and doesn't seem like he's a monster or anything. He was way more patient than he should have been.

Geraldo was a horrible dancer, but I appreciate the fact he knew it and was having fun.

Kim Fields crying over being told she missed a step? The hell? And why weren't they called out for a lift when he completely picked her up and spun her around when other got dinged for a toe coming a centimeter off the floor?

I like Nyle, but he's got ugly feet. This week was better than last and I think they will get better each week, but as the dead weight gets the boot, I won't be surprised if sooner or later they are called out.

• Love 3

I made a Mischa face when I realized that Dirty Dancing came out the year before Antonio was born. I am so old.

• Love 3

Kim Fields crying over being told she missed a step? The hell? And why weren't they called out for a lift when he completely picked her up and spun her around when other got dinged for a toe coming a centimeter off the floor?

Kim did a Salsa. Lifts are allowed in the salsa.

Alan (Paige's partner) is another So You Think You Can Dance transplant, and he was complimented consistently on his excellent partnering work. He's great and I think he'd be such an asset to this show. I'm bored of Mark and find him irritating and I think Alan would be a way way better choice for future season if Mark decides to "take a break".

• Love 1

I don't like Geraldo as a personality or a journalist. He's not a good dancer. But at least he puts some effort into it. I would rather he had stayed and Mischa gone home.

I don't like Geraldo as a personality or a journalist. He's not a good dancer. But at least he puts some effort into it. I would rather he had stayed and Mischa gone home.

• Love 1

Caught up on the second hour and I have a few thoughts on some of the other pairings:

Von/Witney - Witney's choreography for the first two weeks has been awful. Yes they've had some really, really shitty music both weeks but I still think she can do better than she's doing right now. And while I am all for the Pro dancing down so as to not overpower their celebrity, watching Witney at certain points of the dance I felt like she was half-assing the moves and just phoning it in. And I'm not sure from what I've seen so far that Von has enough charm and charisma to overcome that level of mediocrity Witney is delivering. 

Mischa/Artem - I agreed with Carrie Ann that I felt there were some moments in the dance where she looked like she let go and it wasn't half bad. When she smiled and shimmied and looked like she was actually attempting to enjoy the dance, it wasn't the worse thing I've seen on this show. But Mischa is so clearly uncomfortable and awkward and in her own head that it just makes the whole thing very, very painful. And yes Artem looks like he thinks he's being punished for something. 

Wanya/Lindsay - As a person who grew up with Boyz II Men courtesy my sister, I knew coming into this that Wanya would have rhythm and perform the hell out of the dances and boy is he. While I didn't love his performance last week because I felt his feet was a little messy, I have to say this week was loads better. He was sharper and a lot cleaner. Lindsay is killing it with the choreography. I am waiting for him to have a slow, standard dance though because I do think that's where his frame and the extra weight may be a problem. I hated Lindsay's costume. While I'm no prude, that costume was just way too skimpy in my opinion with no reason to be. 

Ginger/Val - This was just okay. Ginger did have really good musicality as usual and her samba walks were good but the whole thing felt very basic and quick. Also, while yes it was a recognizable Samba, I felt like Len's praise for Val about delivering recognizable steps while shading the other Pros was a bit much. Honestly I felt like only Witney delivered a hot mess of whatever in her choreography. Whatever problems that were in the dances, I felt all the other Pros did stick to their assigned dances in their choreography. And really, Ginger's Samba had no Samba rolls, no batucada walks, etc. Again not saying it wasn't a proper Samba, I just didn't feel Len's shade at the other Pros (well except Witney) was necessary. 

Doug/Karina - I feel like Doug did more walking than actual dancing but he certainly captured the mood and personality of the character of the dance and committed to it completely so I was okay with the scores. As usual Karina was perfection. 

• Love 2

This is just to erase the memory of that dance by Mischa Barton. NO ONE and I mean no one should dance Pata Pata again like that.

Paige the wrestler was the best. She had the rhythm which is a must in Latin.

Peta's ability to teach 'tone' to Nyle remains to be seen. It shouldn't be hard since most pros train and learn choroe in the real dance-world without actual music.

Edited by skyways

Completely honest question regarding the troupe.

The troup hasnt' really become a thing that's used on an episode-to-episode basis until what, maybe 3 seasons ago? So we've had about 19 seasons or so of troup members being reserved for Tuesday night result shows or finales. Maybe it is the fact that we prefer weekly routines the traditional way, purely partners, but why does there seem to be such a dislike for troup members? 

Imagine having essentially the same resume, training at hte same dance studio, winning the same national or international competitions, but you're dancing in the troupe while someone else is considered to be a "pro" when all-in-all you have the same experience as the "pros". I could imagine that being a source of competitiveness amongst the troupe members as well as the pros. Newer pros have to fight to keep their spot since the more established pros (who didn't have to go through the troupe hazing period) are pros until essentially their contract is up for renegotiation. Look at Lindsay who went from pro-troupe-pro arc on the show. Dancing is just as competitive as any other commercialized entertainment industry and one way to get ahead is camera time. Jenna and Alan have been troupe members for what ... 2 years now? I can see why they want their time to shine since this is what they've dedicated their livelihood to it. 

Was Alan the most deferential? Does Alan need some media training? Probably. Does a big part of me appreciate that Alan told the truth and was clearly very happy to show the audience what he can do with a celeb. Yea sure. Both Alan and Jenna were in the "Whip-Nae Nae" promos last season which lead us to believe they could be pros. They both have gone on multiple tours. The show has been hinting at it for a while. I can't hate an Alan for seizing an opportunity. Mark has been on the show for A LONG time. By no means do I want him to be injured, I'm a fan of Mark, but maybe that's his body's way of telling him he needs a break. 

• Love 3
Imagine having essentially the same resume, training at hte same dance studio, winning the same national or international competitions, but you're dancing in the troupe while someone else is considered to be a "pro" when all-in-all you have the same experience as the "pros". I could imagine that being a source of competitiveness amongst the troupe members as well as the pros.

Except other than Alison who is not even ballroom trained and trust me, I have my issues with her being a Pro, I wouldn't say that statement is accurate about them having the exact same experience. I can't speak about the new male Pros since I don't really know them but is Alan and Jenna really as accomplished as Karina for example, or Val, Mark, Tony, etc.? Also, that other girl with Jenna is not ballroom trained far as I know so she really needs to not be anywhere near Pro status because one of Alison is bad enough. 

And I personally am not saying people aren't allowed to want their moment to shine. I'm just saying that personally I find they come off damn thirsty and it's a turn off for me. I'm sure they have their fans who don't think they're annoying but I do. Also, that's just the way the show works sometimes - things aren't always fair. Yeah Jenna and Alan have been there for two years (and has it really been two years for Alan because I feel like he came on after Jenna) but so was Lindsay who after one shot at Pro was booted off back to troupe and if it wasn't for luck last season with Alek signing on last minute, she'd probably still be there. And lucky for her she made a strong case for herself last season and now she's back as a Pro. Also they booted Brittany in favor of the other girl who isn't ballroom trained while Brittany is. Is that fair?

Frankly I don't really care that much if they make Alan and Jenna pros. I just feel like they just all seem a little too desperate and it's a turnoff. No matter how excited dude was about dancing last night, his comments were tone deaf and annoying. Also, frankly what little I've seen of them in the troupe does not impress me to learn more. Neither one interests me on any level whatsoever. But you know what, at this point, I do want them to get a shot so their little fans can stop whinging about it online and I don't have to read nonsense like I did on the DWTS instagram account yesterday that Jenna should have been Pro over Karina who has had her shot already. Yeah...okay then. 

Does a big part of me appreciate that Alan told the truth and was clearly very happy to show the audience what he can do with a celeb. Yea sure.

But did he really show what he could do with a celebrity because the entire dance was Mark's choreography and Paige's learning the technique was Mark's work since Mark didn't get hurt until camera blocking. All Alan did was literally stand in and execute the steps that Paige had been rehearsing all week with Mark. So I still fail to see how he showed anything last night other than he can dance ballroom. 

Also, I guess because Mark is who he subbed for that his name is coming up but why is it suddenly an issue of Mark for Alan? Tony's been on as long, if not longer than Mark and frankly I am none to impress with Keo's choreography and no, I don't think the problem has solely been his not getting great celebrities. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 7

Except several of our current pros did go through the normal troupe hazing period.  Sharna and Peta were both in the troupe once upon a time.  Lindsay and Witney both did their time in troupe.  Sasha obviously.  Emma was in troupe, though clearly she's not on this season. It's really only the old school pros, the Karina and Edyta types, that have been with the show since towards the beginning that never went through that process.  Even Artem did a season in the troupe when he first came over to the US edition. There are also quite a few troupe members that did a few seasons and got tossed by TPTB for whatever reason.  So no, I don't necessarily feel bad for the kids biding their time in troupe because at least they have regular jobs and that is the current process of how to become a pro on this show.  I get wanting camera time and being happy when you get it, but I think it's more about proving to TPTB that you have what it takes to be a pro.  I'd hazard to guess that most casual DWTS viewers don't even know who is in the troupe season to season.  I can kind of understand Jenna being antsy to some degree because I think this is season 5 for her at this point?  Alan hasn't been on that long in comparison.

Also I don't think tour is really taken very seriously when considering who gets to be pro season to season.  There were several background dancers on tour, none of which were asked to be a part of the troupe this season.  Emma has done every single tour and that didn't help her get a partner.  Sasha did the tour dutifully and got passed over and the one time he didn't do tour he got promoted.  Lindsay got promoted over Jenna back when Jenna was doing the tour and Lindsay wasn't.   Brittany has done every single tour and to repay her the show fired her not once, but twice.  I kind of think the tour is its own separate beast.

Edited by spanana

I think they go off of who the audience responds well too-they had Lindsay become a pro over Witney at first and had her dancing with Victor Ortiz and he got cut early, then she was back on the troupe for another year while Witney got promoted before getting moved back up again...there's got to be some politics to it, of course, but I think if the audience likes a certain troupe member/dancer then they get a shot at being a pro. I know on So You Think You Can Dance Alan was well received, but Jenna was not by the audience. A lot of people wanted her to go home early on and she was in the bottom for weeks, but the judges always opted to save her because she was so good. Whereas on their season of SYTYCD, Lindsay and Witney are both favorites. It seems like it has more to do with who has good presence and personality on-camera and in interviews too (something Jenna struggles with).

About Mischa:

The thing is, I think if she was able to just let go and have fun and not take it so serious, it would be better. I think sadly, she is the type of person who worries about how things look.

My problem with Mischa is, Mischa is SUPPOSE to be an ACTRESS who ACTS a certain way because it's in the script. So WTH can't she ACT like she's enjoying herself on this show? Keep the petulant attitude for your trailer or any other off-camera time. When the camera is on you, that's your time to become someone else, Actress Mischa, like maybe act like a person who likes to dance.

Or is that role too difficult for her?

I, too, remember Geraldo on Celebrity Apprentice and had to quit watching when it became obvious Trump was all about the self-serving Geraldo staying and other better competitors being "fired." His Trump skit was extremely uncomfortable for me to watch for so many reasons, including the fact that one of Trump's exes is on the show. Just poor taste all around.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

But did he really show what he could do with a celebrity because the entire dance was Mark's choreography and Paige's learning the technique was Mark's work since Mark didn't get hurt until camera blocking. All Alan did was literally stand in and execute the steps that Paige had been rehearsing all week with Mark. So I still fail to see how he showed anything last night other than he can dance ballroom.

That's my stand on it as well. Mark choreographed the routine and taught Paige the routine. Alan showed he could dance the routine. He's a professional dancer, that should be in his arsenal. (-; Kidding aside, he did well, but IMO being a competing pro is very heavily dependent on what you can produce as a teacher and what you can produce as a choreographer and if you can deal with the DWTS competition hamster wheel. So Alan, as all the troupers, is a big fat question mark on that front. What did crack me up was his gleefully making out with the camera and general antics. (-: Like a very young Mark on his worst days, so it seemed appropriate he subbed in for him.

Mark seems very enthusiastic about Paige, so I hope he can continue dancing and the injury isn't too severe. But I also think he's with one foot out the door anyway, his interests seem to be shifting away from the show more and more and the injuries are piling up. And he's appeared frustrated with the reality tv aspects for years. So having a good season with a partner like Paige would be a good way for him to go out, I feel.

Did Mischa stop at one point in rehearsal to put on blush? I was pissed for Artem when she also stopped in the middle of what he was showing her and arrogantly asked if they can dance to music like she was in charge and knew what to do. Artem went along with it although he told her it would be harder because she clearly hadn't learned the steps yet. Last week she mentioned that she has done a lot of dancing in her life. I bet it's difficult to teach someone who thinks she knows already. I really don't know what to make of her. Last week I felt sorry for her and thought she needed encouragement and to just relax. This week her attitude really stunk.

• Love 1

Alan does seem to have the personality of an overstimulated eager puppy....so I do take that into consideration.... but his choice of words during the post dance interview with Paige & Mark had me laughing so hard.  Keo hit the nail on the head when he was talking to Jodie....that if you try too damn hard you look desperate.  I'll be fine if Alan gets a shot at being a pro.  I agree with the majority of posters that I still don't know if he's a good teacher.  

Thirsty as hell is how both Jenna & Alan come off to me. It's not cute and it gives me 0 desire to see them paired with a celeb.  At least when Sharna, Peta, Sasha etc. were in troupe I was interested in seeing what they could do as pros.  Not so much with Jenna & Alan. I felt the same way about Henry.  Back when he was in troupe he rivaled Jenna in the camera hogging/mugging.  It was unbearable. He eventually got his shot at being a pro and eliminated first with Diana Nyad.  Of the current selection of troupe I'm just not invested...and quite honestly don't understand the hype?

Given all that....I think the hype for Alan (based on that 1 dance) was for a few reasons:

-Paige & Alan had fun/sexy chemistry for their salsa. She could very well have had that same chemistry with Mark but we've only seen 1 dance from them (foxtrot).  I think it's too early to say that she has "better" chemistry with Alan over Mark.

-They went from their package (which was all about how Mark wasn't strong enough to lift her) to Alan literally swinging her all across the dance floor has got people thinking Mark should be replaced stat.

Alan could be a great pro/teacher/choreographer...who knows.  I just don't think he proved anything by that 1 dance. I would still take Mark (even though he drives me INSANE when he takes his choreo too far or gets lost in a concept piece...or his general style of dress and hair). He's proven himself time and time again as a pro who can put out some great choreo is a good teacher and understands the DWTW "game."

• Love 2

And really, Ginger's Samba had no Samba rolls, no batucada walks, etc. Again not saying it wasn't a proper Samba, I just didn't feel Len's shade at the other Pros (well except Witney) was necessary.

I thought Ginger's Samba lacked the signature Samba bounce and I was surprised Len (or even Bruno) said nothing about it. I also noticed there was no attempt at a Samba roll but I was OK with that; I've seen very few celebs perform them well, they always tend to look awkward.

Paige might be better off if Mark has to be replaced for the rest of the season, quite honestly. At this point being paired with Mark can be just as much a detriment as an advantage because a lot of viewers are sick of him, myself included. He has the potential to actually hurt his partners as far as the voting goes. Someone new with less baggage might help Paige out more.

• Love 2

YMMV but I don't get the impression that Mark is that polarizing. Like I can accept some viewers don't care for him but I don't think it's to the point that it would hurt his celebrity. Again I may be wrong but as the internet already represents just a small part of the show's viewers/voters in my opinion, coupled with the fact that I really don't see any intense hate for him like say e.g. Val or Derek when he's on, I just can't believe that his being paired with Paige would hurt her. I actually think that despite how much focus some place on the Pros online, the show still often comes down to the celebrity and the partnership that celebrity and their Pro develop.

Like awesome as Peta is, I think a lot of the support for their pairing will be because of Nyle and his story. Same with Lindsay and Wanya. Wanya and his personality, charm and ability is carrying that pairing. Which is why no matter how good a Pro is sometimes, if they're stuck with a celebrity viewers just can't connect with, they can't win. Similarly, Mark made it all the way to second place just a few seasons ago with Sadie because people just adored her and adored them together. Don't get me wrong, obviously the Pro's ability to choreograph awesome dances help and to play to what makes their celebrity shine but at the end of the day, I really don't think there is this significant block of viewers that won't vote for Paige because of Mark. They likely won't vote for her because they're simply not a fan of her and the pairing or they're bigger fans of another couple. 

• Love 4

Loved Paige again. She was my favourite last week too and this week I thought she was better. It was a little frantic but considering the situation, I can't be surprised. She didn't have much time to practice with Alan (two hours seems low considering Mark hurt himself yesterday, but who knows with dress rehearsal and stuff?) and she had that big lift that would make anyone nervous. Plus, Alan was out there so hyped that she probably fed off of that too. Still, there's no doubt that she's the real deal talent wise and I want her to stick around until the end. I am worried about Mark. MRI, bone scan and CT right? Mark has grown on me like a fungus these past few years but even if I hated him the way I used to, I don't want to see any dancer injured. That's so tough for them.

Nyle was good on anyone's merits and very good on his own. It was frantic and I do mostly put that on Peta. She choreographs the dance so if she doesn't put in the slower, sexier moments its not like Nyle can create them out of the air. I do think they need to figure out a way  to improve tone as a team. I don't know if Nyle needs to read the lyrics of each song, or Peta needs to give him a character (not like Donald Trump, but like guy trying to pick up for a Cha Cha or passionate lover for rumba) to help him understand the tone the music creates. I am sure they'll figure it out, but I'm glad it came up early so its something that they can pay attention to now while there's cannon fodder. I will say this; last week was stronger. I don't know if that's because the rumba tends to be a harder dance for most guys or because of the time crunch, or both but it does make me nervous for Nyle as we get farther along in the competition. I stanned hard for Marlee and I still think she's one of the best natural dancers to ever come on this show but there came a point where she couldn't keep up because how she learned was so different. I worry that Nyle may hit that wall too and not because he isn't great (he really is) but because this show is its own very crazy beast and the schedule gets nuts about halfway through the season.

Re Paige, (from an E!online post show interview last night), not only did she have to get used to a new partner, they also changed some of the choreography, all in 2 hours.  Alan would have learned the dance from the rehearsal videos, but I guess some of it required more practice than they had time for, so they just changed it.  Here's the link: http://www.eonline.com/news/752295/mark-ballas-offers-update-on-dancing-with-the-stars-injury-will-he-be-able-to-return-this-season

Re Nyle, I agree that he had a stronger performance last week than last night. I got to thinking, last week was a party dance. Nyle seems to live a pretty normal life, doing all the things guys his age like to do. I'd bet he's been out clubbing and club dancing. He's learned to socialize and party it up and probably even club dance by matching the moves of his dance partner. (This is all just my supposition here. I'd never heard of him until the cast reveal.)  Last week he watches Peta and Maks demonstrate the dance. Nyle picks up the basic steps and gives it his own groove that he's accustomed to from clubbing. Nyle and Peta mirror each other (all the pros can adjust on the fly when their partner messes up) so it looks like a cohesive choreography and Bam! There's the dance.  Along comes the rumba this week, and same thing. Except Nyle doesn't realize this is supposed to be a more sensitive dance.  Again he watches Peta + Maks, throws in his own groove-which really doesn't work this time.  Peta's just thrilled he's got the steps down.  (I'm not sure I'm explaining this very well.)   I think Peta is doing well so far, but she's got to do more than just teach the steps.

• Love 2

Paige seems insulting to Mark. Last week he needed to be more of a man. This week she took shots at his being able to lift her. It seemed rude to me

Glad Geraldo is gone sheesh, but I thought it may be Mishca (typo)

• Love 1

I notice a lot of people seem to like Alan.

I looked at his SYTYCD profile - it didn't say much.

Does anyone know if he's ever taught before?

Has he ever choreographed anything?

As much as Alan's interview was terrible, I laughed just as hard at Keo when Erin asked him if he thought he was going home. He basically said "Yeah, I'm cool tonight but whoever goes home, don't take it personally!". He should've said some bull about having a great time and getting to know Jodie and blah blah. Keep it classy next time, Keo.

I really don't care for Alan. He will be the most unfortunate looking male pro in years. Seriously, we've gone from the lovely Tristan, Dmitry, hell even Maks to this ferret looking fool? No thanks.

Ditto to the Brittany Cherry love. I always enjoyed watching her, wish she was on this season.

• Love 3

It seemed like Marla's heels were too high for her.  She couldn't get her feet under her so was taking a lot of little steps to catch up with Tony.  She could do the poses and the lifts but was slow or (too quick?) going from pose to pose.  I realize Tony hasn't had a good partner in a while, but I think she can dance, he just needs to watch her feet more.

I don't know how Ginger is going to get through the season.  Travelling back and forth for work would be exhausting but add in her new baby and I think it's unfair the network signed her up for it.  I get that she probably wanted to lose baby weight, so let her work from LA for the 2 and a half months.  It's silly that she has to back and forth twice a week while she's trying to feed the baby.

Mischa is a mess.  She seems very fragile, (which is why the judges were nice to her last night, despite the awful performance).  Artem doesn't seem to be losing patience just yet, but he's got to be frustrated.  She'll probably be the next to go, but it sure seems clear she just wanted the starting paycheck.  I look for her to not put in any effort this next week and yes, she did look disappointed that she wasn't voted off.

• Love 2

Also I don't think tour is really taken very seriously when considering who gets to be pro season to season.  There were several background dancers on tour, none of which were asked to be a part of the troupe this season.  Emma has done every single tour and that didn't help her get a partner.  Sasha did the tour dutifully and got passed over and the one time he didn't do tour he got promoted.  Lindsay got promoted over Jenna back when Jenna was doing the tour and Lindsay wasn't.   Brittany has done every single tour and to repay her the show fired her not once, but twice.  I kind of think the tour is its own separate beast.

I agree. I don't think doing the tour proves any of the qualities needed to be a partnering pro. The tour takes stamina and dance ability and probably the ability to get along with others during weeks on a bus.  It doesn't demonstrate the ability to teach a beginner "star" who may or may not actually care about dancing. It doesn't demonstrate the ability to choreograph since the tour is choreographed ahead of time by others.  I also don't believe that doing the tour proves "loyalty" to the show - it's approx. 2 months of paying gigs.  I imagine it's pretty hard for the multitude of dancers to earn a living in dance.  The tour is a bonanza for those troupers who participate - they get paid for 2 months and remain in view of tptb who -may- put them on tv for the next DWTS season.  I don't think the tptb owe anything to those who participate in the tour, quite the opposite. I think those who participate in the tour should be thankful they got to participate.

(I'm referring to troupe members.  I think it's a different story for the bigger name, more established pros like Mark, Val, Sharna, probably Emma who tptb believe will draw crowds to the shows.)

Edited by Uke
  • Love 2
Paige seems insulting to Mark. Last week he needed to be more of a man. This week she took shots at his being able to lift her. It seemed rude to me

This made me laugh since the biggest (pun) reason a male dancer can't lift the female is she is too hugely heavy/fat/weighs a ton. Women pro dancers are tiny things for a reason. So, back at you, Paige.

I really hoped Jodie and Keo would have more chemistry together, but the truth is she looked better by herself / with the other girls during her dance. I hope she makes it to the partner swap episode.

I enjoy Ginger, Nyle and a couple of the other dancers as well, but no one has been amazing thus far.

The Mischa situation is just uncomfortable to watch. She's clearly not in the right mind-set.

Edited by Jal
  • Love 2

If Mischa wasn't so sulky and disengaged I might almost feel sorry for her. Then again this is how she's always reacted to negativity in her career, so why should this be any different? She's a prime example of someone who should never have been put on this show, because ultimately she's just too fragile (emotionally, I mean). You can be a trainwreck physically and still come out on top from doing this show if you're mentally tough and emotionally resilient. Mischa has always been a total mess and this is the last kind of environment she needed to be in.

It's an interesting contrast with Jodie Sweetin, who also has an emotional boneyard/minefield in her past. It's hard to say if Jodie is in a better place simply because she's got some inherent dance talent, or if she's simply now more stable/tougher than Mischa too. Sometimes breakdowns and addictions toughen people up, sometimes they weaken them. We probably have a case of each here on this show.

That all said, as much as Mischa probably NEEDS to get off this show, for her own sake, Geraldo being gone is a relief too. Even if it highlights how Edyta always gets screwed over by this show.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2