Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E02: Week 2

• Start Topic

A couple of times last night, Len looked like he'd rather be any place else.  He appeared to be irritated with Bruno and with CAI.  FREE LEN!

He works with Bruno year round, since they're both also on the British show. So I bet he's more used to Bruno's brand of idiocy.  But CAI is enough to drive anyone crazy, I bet, especially when she's judging stuff she's never been all that qualified to judge.

• Love 2

I also have never really seen Mark as that polarizing a pro, and especially not the point to cost his celeb votes.  I get there are plenty of people that don't like him and I used to not be able to stand him in his early mugging days (notice a theme) because I often felt like he was trying to out dance his partner, but he has calmed down considerably in later seasons.  If we are going to play that game, I think both Derek and Val are/were far more polarizing.  People love both of them but people really hate both of them too.  Mind you it's warring factions.  Derek fans can't stand Val.  Val fans can't stand Derek.  Both sides for the most part are okay with Mark.  But all this to say if we are still counting Derek, Mark IMO is only #3 on the most polarizing male pros list.

I think what is interesting with the current troupe is is that a lot of these numbers are being put together by Mandy Moore, who tends to be partial to the SYTYCD implants since she's worked with them all on that show.  For instance, Mandy loves Jenna and Jenna often assists her, so I think sometimes Jenna being front and center is because Mandy puts the routines together.  However I don't think Mandy has any say in who gets to be pro season to season so just because she chooses to highlight certain people, I'm not 100% sure that represents how TPTB feel about people.  Also we changed exec producers a few seasons ago, so I also assume Rob Wade has different opinions than his predecessor.  

I did laugh at Keo's comment.  He knew there was no way he was going home week one this time.  I did actually like what he said to Jodie in their rehearsal package though.

Did Keo really tell Jodi not to over dance or she'd look desperate? if so, then dude, practice what you preach.

I thought Antonio was cheesy and a bit creepy in his package, leering over Sharna. Just no dude.

My 47 year old self was fan girling all over Wanya. Lol

• Love 2

Thoughts on contestants for week 2 (in alphabetical order):

Ginger & Val – it was a nice samba number.  The stationary walks, promenade runs looked nice and she showed nice rythym.  I think a slight emphasis on her footwork may be something she'll need to hone in on (its two weeks in a row; cleaner ronde leg action would be nice).  Seems she gets a little excited with the music/production and can slightly force some of the moves, such that they don't come off naturally.  Her carefree, relaxed posing on center stage during the couple's introduction with Tom, was what I was hoping to see in the live number; so its in her DNA. 

Jodie & Keo – thought she felt the music well and carried out some nice, subtle bouncing actions.  She looked comfortable at the opening solo with the troupe members and blended in well.  Midway and towards the end, agree it seemed she was unintentionally holding back a bit.  She should lower her center and sink her teeth into the ground with her foot a bit.  Think Jodie can be a bit careful/polished in her routines, but thought in this number she slowly surrendered herself to the music and let go a bit.  Thought it was an improvement from last week.

Nyle & Peta – he made an earnest effort, looked defeated at the end, but thought he made a valiant effort with the rumba.  He showed some tension when he lifted both arms at the very top and seemed to not feel comfortable during the routine (high shoulders were a bit distracting).  Thought he needed to present a bit more of a masculine framework/posture and show even more expressive arm movements.  Agree there could've been some breath in the choreography, but think its good that he got this difficult dance out early so he can focus on other styles that may suit him better.

Paige & Mark – there were risky moments in the routine (lifts) that could've gone wrong, but it was nice to see her carry them out well.  There was a constant flow of sensuality and a sense of tease and fun as well.  Agree she can move ahead of the music; she should stay a hair disciplined and maybe study film of Jodie in her opening solo; the way Jodie can chew, digest and taste each dance step, all within a split second, before transitioning to the next.  If Paige has a ballroom dance next, she'll need to be keen on her shoulders to come close to her latin score.

Wanya & Lindsay – thought he created a fun atmosphere and vibe.  Liked how he reached out to the fans so that the dance didn't feel constricted in the small area.  It was flirtatious and it looked as if he was out in a club having a nice time.  Plenty of arm movements that were smooth, effortless and pleasing to the eyes.  He showed lots of rhythm and flair in that performance.  Still would like to see how he can deliver on the dramatic, intense performances.  Also, think it will be important for Lindsay to show different sides to Wanya as the weeks progress; nonetheless, it was a fun number to watch.

• Love 2
Did Keo really tell Jodi not to over dance or she'd look desperate? if so, then dude, practice what you preach.

No, he basically told her she needed to relax because if not then she was going to get frustrated and be in her head and come off desperate and honestly, he was right. I may not be the biggest fan of Keo as a Pro but I thought he handled that moment very well.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Ugh -- the Geraldo dance was ugly on many levels. First of all, he is incapable of dancing. Most importantly, he decided to be the Mexican dancer who looks like Trump? The guy who wants to build a nice tall wall (at Mexico's expense)? Could not be more tone deaf. Embarrassingly bad.

ETA: I can see that this appears to be me calling out Geraldo as a Mexican-American or Mexican immigrant, with no regard to his personal history. I apologize for this misconception. Instead, I am calling out the character Geraldo (and Edyta! Disappointed...) chose to play. Why the over-the-top Mexico theme? Yuck.

Geraldo's actually of Puerto Rican descent, I believe. I get what you're saying about Trump & the US-Mexican border wall he wants to build IF he becomes President, but Geraldo's Puerto Rican (& Jewish, I believe).

Geraldo's actually of Puerto Rican descent, I believe. I get what you're saying about Trump & the US-Mexican border wall he wants to build IF he becomes President, but Geraldo's Puerto Rican (& Jewish, I believe).

Personally I've begun wondering if a logical next step of Trump's xenophobia is if he tries to undo Puerto Ricans' US citizenship. That said, yeah, It's akin to thinking that Rubio is against what Trump said simply because he's Cuban, and thus also Hispanic.

I didn't see Mischa in the final shots either when everyone gathered around Geraldo/Edtya. Something is seriously up there. I feel bad for Artem, but I'm sure Tony is thanking his lucky stars this season!

I noticed that Mischa just stood there when Artem came over to say goodbye to Edyta and Geraldo. I thought it was very odd, and it did not endear her to me. I am sorry that she's struggling, but she should have had an idea what the show required before agreeing to participate. I hope this doesn't bring her to another breakdown, because no show is worth that.

So if Mark can't overcome his injury, can we dump Mischa and throw Artem and Paige together?

win-win? no?

lol

I wish Mark the best and hope he heals well, but would not be disappointed if he decided to take it easy! I'd rather see Artem take over than more of Alan (no offense to him, but I have more confidence in Artem as a teacher/choreographer than I do with Alan at this point), if Mischa gets voted off next week. What I really want is for Tristan to come back to DWTS, but I know that's not happening.

• Love 1

I personally like Keo. I think a lot of what people are seeing as negative with him is just a cultural difference. A lot of the pros are foreign (most are from England, Australia, or Eastern Europe). And even the Eastern European pros, like Karina and Val, came across as harsh and stern in their earlier seasons before learning that in America it comes across better if you learn to loosen up and show your silly side. Keo is South African, which is new for the show, and I think that a lot of his personality "quirks" that we're seeing have to do with how he grew up and his culture. Just my two cents.

• Love 4

I noticed that Mischa just stood there when Artem came over to say goodbye to Edyta and Geraldo. I thought it was very odd, and it did not endear her to me. I am sorry that she's struggling, but she should have had an idea what the show required before agreeing to participate. I hope this doesn't bring her to another breakdown, because no show is worth that.

I didn't attach extra meaning to her not going over to say goodbye--or at least not any kind of sour grapes. Probably the opposite, actually. She literally looked stunned, like she couldn't believe it. No... like she was upset that she wasn't going.

Actually, I think she's just on autopilot half the time. And I'm sure the show knew it by the time of the premiere and it was too late to change her out for an alternate. Notice how in the premiere, in the show opening number, she got the "up on a video screen pre-recorded" bit they typically give to some senior citizen contestant they can't count on doing a more impromptu than usual extra number. Together with how her candid sequence this week kind of implied she barely practiced, you can see the picture forming I think.

In short, she doesn't want to be there--IS there only because of the contract she signed, and the show is clearly working around that. It's a good sign the show is being honest with the voting that she isn't gone.. because if it WAS manipulated they'd probably WANT her gone almost as much as she clearly wants to be.

Edited by Kromm

I think Mischa signed up for this having no idea what the hell she was getting herself into. After The OC she had a mental breakdown and was actually hospitalized for it, and I just think she's someone who is incredibly fragile and has a difficult time coping in general. I just don't think a show like this, where there is a lot of pressure to perform, it's live, and you're expected to give your time to a partner is just not a good fit for her. She needs a lower stress, low key job. I'm confused as to why her manager would push her to do this knowing what she's been through and the struggles she's faced since her time on The OC, actually. Her career has kind of gone down the tubes and now she's in made for TV lifetime movies most of the time. If this was supposed to be a comeback, it failed because she doesn't have the personality for this. I feel kind of bad for her and want her to leave if her heart isn't in it.

• Love 1

I would imagine Mischa's manager was thinking that 10% of nothing is nothing. The girl barely works so she's not bringing in much income for herself or the people on her team. I would imagine they pushed her to sign up for the paycheck.

A couple of times last night, Len looked like he'd rather be any place else.  He appeared to be irritated with Bruno and with CAI.  FREE LEN!

Len's mantra was that he wanted to see "steps he recognized." In other words, he was cranky when the dance wasn't a "true" Rumba, Samba, whatever. I think Carrie Ann, Bruno and Julianne pretty much let this slide and Len wants it known that when he's on the panel he's not going to let them get away with that. I've never seen Strictly Come Dancing but I imagine they're a lot more strict about the technical stuff on that show and I get Len's frustration when the choreography takes too many liberties with ballroom styles. He was a pro ballroom dancer, after all, unlike either Carrie Ann or Bruno.

I wish Mark the best and hope he heals well, but would not be disappointed if he decided to take it easy! I'd rather see Artem take over than more of Alan (no offense to him, but I have more confidence in Artem as a teacher/choreographer than I do with Alan at this point), if Mischa gets voted off next week. What I really want is for Tristan to come back to DWTS, but I know that's not happening.

Why? Has Tristan said he's through with this show, or vice versa? 

As for Artem vs. Alan, it would be unprecedented and maybe even a little shady if a pro gets voted out then comes back to partner with someone else the very same season due to another pro's injury. I'd be interested to know if there are rules in place for such a scenario.

• Love 1

As for Artem vs. Alan, it would be unprecedented and maybe even a little shady if a pro gets voted out then comes back to partner with someone else the very same season due to another pro's injury. I'd be interested to know if there are rules in place for such a scenario.

The Pro's do not get voted out though, the Star's do.

Misha just cannot dance, no sense of rhythm.  Not her fault, some just don't have it.  Her sour and almost haughty attitude is a turn off.  She will go next week.  I googled her and still don't know who she is!  Not much there.   

• Love 1

I'm enjoying most of the celebrities and don't feel like anyone's being shoved down my throat. I think Wanya, Antonio,and Von are a fun combination of charming, adorkable, and funny. I'm so glad Lindsay is back. I like Ginger. I'm not sold on Nyle, yet, but am enjoying him. I'm surprised that I like Jodie as much as I do and am liking Keo with her.

The pros all seem to be having fun and more relaxed than last season.

I wish I liked Paige more than I do. I'm not even sure what it is, but something rubs me the wrong way with her. I'm excited to see what Mark does with her, though. Even if Mark can't dance, I'm sure he'll keep teaching and choreographing like Derek did with Nastia. It'd be a great learning experience for Alan, too.

Aside from Mischa, it's shaping up nicely this season.

• Love 1

Len's mantra was that he wanted to see "steps he recognized." In other words, he was cranky when the dance wasn't a "true" Rumba, Samba, whatever. I think Carrie Ann, Bruno and Julianne pretty much let this slide and Len wants it known that when he's on the panel he's not going to let them get away with that. I've never seen Strictly Come Dancing but I imagine they're a lot more strict about the technical stuff on that show and I get Len's frustration when the choreography takes too many liberties with ballroom styles. He was a pro ballroom dancer, after all, unlike either Carrie Ann or Bruno.

I HAVE (seen Strictly Come Dancing) and Len is actually "the nice judge" next to a guy named Craig Horwood, who's basically like a camp, dance-oriented version of Simon Cowell. 

Misha just cannot dance, no sense of rhythm.  Not her fault, some just don't have it.  Her sour and almost haughty attitude is a turn off.  She will go next week.  I googled her and still don't know who she is!  Not much there.   

Well she was only really in one thing that people have had any reason to see--although it was a leading role and a very prominent show for several years. She's basically done nothing else. So really the "I don't know who she is" thing boils down to if you saw the show or not.

In other words, she's really no different than any of the people who are on this show because they were on big shows in their past and then disapeared. She's essentially no different from that guy who played Urkel, for example, except that she bowed off her show, had a breakdown, and perhaps that's made her infamous to some as well as famous.

• Love 1
except that she bowed off her show,

She didn't bow out - she was fired and her character killed off. Let's just say the show creator/head writer was none too fond of her in the latter seasons. Of course her fans at the time did crow about the show's ratings dropping dramatically the next season and Fox quickly cancelling it which is a fair point. I was a huge O.C. fan so I paid attention to all the gossip and backstage drama. And it is crazy what's happened with Mischa and just proves how unpredictable Hollywood can be.

Because the girl really was everywhere for a minute and totally being touted as the next big thing, making the covers of Elle, Vogue, etc. And instead the other three main actors are the ones who all went on to have decent enough careers, all now either married or have kids and she's kind of just lost. That said, she was also a lot younger than them when the show blew up and all the fame happened. I think she was like 18, so a kid really. 

• Love 1

...... What I really want is for Tristan to come back to DWTS, but I know that's not happening.

That is what was said about Edyta for several years. Edyta left DWTS on a bad note and here she is....back on the show. You just never know.

Why? Has Tristan said he's through with this show, or vice versa?

I suppose I mis-spoke (mis-typed?) when I said "I know that's not happening." What I should have said is "I've read on a number of boards..." that he's no longer working in the U.S., and that I have noted a tendency among the show management to focus on bringing in new/younger talent (e.g., focus on the troupe and the promotion from within or use of SYTYCD alums) which makes me assume that they will not bring Tristan back. Edyta's return gives me hope.

I have to confess that Alan is currently the only troupe member I can identify enough to match a name to a face, and only because he filled in this week. I pay so little attention to the individuals in the troupe that I don't even notice most of the time when a new pro has come through the ranks instead of coming in from outside the show.

Edited by St. Claire
  • Love 1

It's know it's happened before, but actually more than I realized, so there is precedent that an eliminated pro can come back and sub in for an injured pro.

- Season 7 Julianne ended up having an appendectomy so Edyta (who had been eliminated with Jeffrey Ross in week 1) subbed in with Cody Lindley in weeks 8 and 9.

- In Season 9 both Lacey and Derek were out with the flu, so Maks (eliminated in week 4 with Debi Mazar) performed with Joanna Krupa in week 5 and Anna (eliminated in week 5 with Chuck Liddell) performed with Mark Dascoscos in week 7.

- In Season 15 (All-Stars) Mark (eliminated in week 4 with Bristol Palin) came back to dance in week 7 with Shawn Johnson after Derek injured his neck.

Of course, that was all before the troupe existed and they had extra dancers to pull from so maybe they've made changes? But it's happened before ... more than once. That said, I'm a big fan of Artem and am sad he's kinda gotten the shaft this season (especially after getting screwed last season, too), so I'd be in favor of TPTB choosing him as a potential replacement for Mark. On the other hand, I also would like to see what Alan can do as a pro, so I'd probably be okay with them choosing him, too. (Just so long as Artem sticks around to be part of the pseudo-troupe like he did last season.)

I've never seen Strictly Come Dancing but I imagine they're a lot more strict about the technical stuff on that show and I get Len's frustration when the choreography takes too many liberties with ballroom styles. He was a pro ballroom dancer, after all, unlike either Carrie Ann or Bruno.

From what I've watched of Strictly on YouTube, they're much less flashy and much more traditional anyway. The dances are more recognizable as standard ballroom, they don't throw in dumb styles like burlesque or Bollywood or fusion dances or even contemporary (though there might be jazz?), they don't have a troupe and don't go all out for sets, and even the costumes are less sequined and more tame. There's a beautiful pro waltz with Tristan to Danny Boy where it's very simple and the women are all very covered and simple. It's actually kind of jarring (but not unwelcome!) coming from the American version. It's the kind of dancing we don't get anymore because it's all been replace with Mandy Moore's club-and-grind.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 1

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDmKsiVsYVt/

Mark's at the rehearsal studio and took a selfie with a fan. Also Paige is snapchatting from the rehearsal studio.

No word if Mark is cleared to dance yet. It's possible he's done the choreography and using Alan (or another trouper) to help train Paige. He could rest his back until the next show. Or maybe he's already cleared to dance. 

I suspect tptb are going to keep us in suspense.  The fan says "Glad that he's still competing".  I hope this is true but I'll wait for confirmation.

About Tristan, he and his wife have bought a house in Sydney and are expecting a baby very soon. He also had a small part in a just finished 2-month Oz/NZ tour of a play called "Good Mourning Mrs Brown". He played a Mormon missionary!

In a March 7 interview (about Strictly, the British version of DWTS):

Q: "The question everyone is asking - Do you know if you will be coming back to Strictly?"

Tristan: "No, I won't be going back.  I think over the time I have been there I have realized more and more that it is not for me.  I think the show needs someone a lot different to me on the show to get what they want, and I need something a lot different to make me happy and get what I want out of it.  I think there will be a lot of changes on the show, and I have enjoyed it for the most part but right now I just need a break from it all. This kind of goes hand in hand with the other question in that you can do whatever it is you want to do but when you have to start doing things you don't, then you have to decide if it’s for you or not.  You can be a dancer or you can be a dancer on a tv show and with that comes a whole other bag.  It can be fun, but I’d sooner leave it as it is then spend all my time complaining about it."

But he may be back in the US later this year to do the stage show "Ballroom with a Twist":

Q "Also, there have been a lot of questions about Ballroom With A Twist and Dancing With the Movies here in the states.  Do you currently have any plans to be in any of those shows later this spring and summer?"

Tristan: "I have heard great things about the new show and maybe later in the year I may do some but right now I have a lot of stuff going on that needs my undivided attention, and I’m putting all thoughts of what’s next out of my head for a bit.  I’m very happy where I am working at the minute and very content."

http://www.macmaniacs.org/tristan-interviews

-

-

I hope he'll be back on DWTS though, a la Edyta or Louis. You never know. He was called back to be on the Spring 2015 DWTS but Rob Wade changed his mind :(    There's also an Australian version of DWTS.

Edited by Morrigan

It's know it's happened before, but actually more than I realized, so there is precedent that an eliminated pro can come back and sub in for an injured pro.

- Season 7 Julianne ended up having an appendectomy so Edyta (who had been eliminated with Jeffrey Ross in week 1) subbed in with Cody Lindley in weeks 8 and 9.

- In Season 9 both Lacey and Derek were out with the flu, so Maks (eliminated in week 4 with Debi Mazar) performed with Joanna Krupa in week 5 and Anna (eliminated in week 5 with Chuck Liddell) performed with Mark Dascoscos in week 7.

- In Season 15 (All-Stars) Mark (eliminated in week 4 with Bristol Palin) came back to dance in week 7 with Shawn Johnson after Derek injured his neck.

Of course, that was all before the troupe existed and they had extra dancers to pull from so maybe they've made changes? But it's happened before ... more than once. That said, I'm a big fan of Artem and am sad he's kinda gotten the shaft this season (especially after getting screwed last season, too), so I'd be in favor of TPTB choosing him as a potential replacement for Mark. On the other hand, I also would like to see what Alan can do as a pro, so I'd probably be okay with them choosing him, too. (Just so long as Artem sticks around to be part of the pseudo-troupe like he did last season.)

From what I've watched of Strictly on YouTube, they're much less flashy and much more traditional anyway. The dances are more recognizable as standard ballroom, they don't throw in dumb styles like burlesque or Bollywood or fusion dances or even contemporary (though there might be jazz?), they don't have a troupe and don't go all out for sets, and even the costumes are less sequined and more tame. There's a beautiful pro waltz with Tristan to Danny Boy where it's very simple and the women are all very covered and simple. It's actually kind of jarring (but not unwelcome!) coming from the American version. It's the kind of dancing we don't get anymore because it's all been replace with Mandy Moore's club-and-grind.

Didn't someone also sub in for Derek with Nastia when he had multiple issues with his foot (foot & ankle)?

Didn't someone also sub in for Derek with Nastia when he had multiple issues with his foot (foot & ankle)?

Yep, Sasha, but he had already been tapped to practice with Nastia all season when Derek needed to be in NYC (I think). Plus, he was still in the troupe and hadn't been competing on the show with a celeb. I intentionally left them out because I was looking for pros that had been eliminated already from the season, just to see if there was precedent.

Sasha, from the troupe, with Derek still choreographing. That's the route I think they'll go if Mark is out another week - he'd likely still choreograph with Alan doing the dancing. The only way I could see him being replaced completely is if the injury is season-ending, if he will take months or more to heal. (Which doesn't seem to be the case, unless he's just overly optimistic.)

My feeling on Mischa is that she had no idea what she was getting into it with this show and that it was more her people told her to do this, to get her back in the spotlight. And she clearly isn't in the right frame of mind to be on a show where she is getting harsh criticisms. And she isn't a grade A actress, she's..an actress but also I can't think of anything she has done major since The OC-which I'm going to be honest, back in the day, was my show, although not for her so much-so, yeah. I think more or less it's her not being right in her head to do this but she needed a comeback and her people urge to do this.

However, you need to have a right set of mind when doing this show; yes, it's cheesy as ALL hell, and I  LAUGH and laugh when people take this thing so serious. During rehearsals if a celeb freaks out about not having enough time to learn a dance and be with their boyfriend/girlfriend and it's like, 'who is holding a gun to your head to have made you sign up for this'? or when during elimination, the married Vega pro couple lost their damn minds when they were both in the bottom two and then cried when the wife was eliminated as if she was being sent to execution, but since I knew Mischa Barton's history and how she looks, she can't take what the judges are saying to her. I know her attitude is bitchy as well and that's not endearing her to anyone but I will say, a part of me felt a little bad for her when after her scores on Monday, she ran off right away. I don't think she can handle this type of atmosphere. You have to be able to take it in stride with this show. And I don't think her mental capacity is able to do that.  

• Love 4

That's the route I think they'll go if Mark is out another week - he'd likely still choreograph with Alan doing the dancing. The only way I could see him being replaced completely is if the injury is season-ending, if he will take months or more to heal. (Which doesn't seem to be the case, unless he's just overly optimistic.)

Ugh. I hate to say it, but if for some reason Mark has to sit out the rest of the season, I hope he's just plain gone. It irks me when they turn the pair into a trio and Mark has to be there for the opening and the interview with Erin alongside Paige and Alan (or whoever fills in for him). It's like . . . camera whore, much? It's not like we're going to forget about him after only one season.

Then again I supposed he only gets paid if he shows up and does something.

Ugh. I hate to say it, but if for some reason Mark has to sit out the rest of the season, I hope he's just plain gone. It irks me when they turn the pair into a trio and Mark has to be there for the opening and the interview with Erin alongside Paige and Alan (or whoever fills in for him). It's like . . . camera whore, much? It's not like we're going to forget about him after only one season.

Then again I supposed he only gets paid if he shows up and does something.

Yeah, I think they only do that if he's able to come back. That way it's a few weeks of a "trio," and then he'd be back. I think they wouldn't want to replace a pro completely if he had a chance of getting better before the season was over. If they knew FOR SURE that it was a season ending injury, then I think they might replace him, with the new pro assuming all responsibility (choreography, etc.)

From Mark and Paige's Snapchats, Alan is definitely rehearsing with them, Mark is doing PT, and as of yesterday he couldn't bend down to tie his shoes. Whether or not he'll be recovered enough for show day remains TBD.

Based on the reaction from Mark when Erin asked him what his status was after Paige and Mark danced, it seemed like his injury was more serious than he let on. Of course, TPTB might have insisted on all the tests, but an MRI, a bone scan, and a CT makes it sound like the doctor is concerned about the severity. Plus, he seemed pretty familiar with the pain, so my guess is it's happened before, which means it's likely to happen again.

All in all it's not a great start to the season and while I'd guess he could make it back to dancing before the season is over I'd also bet that Alan's got a good opportunity to showcase himself as an almost-pro for the next three+ weeks.

Looked at the dances again and ,IMO, Jodie was woefully underscored. Paige had more tricks but Jodie's sense of rhythm is second to none.

Also, if Keo wants to keep his shirt off and paint his body every week, I am OK with that.

• Love 2

Being without Mark was such a disappointment. Hopefully the injury is not as bad as it sounded when he was listing all of the tests he was going to have to have done.

It was a big bummer for me too. Mark has always performed through injuries for his partners in the past, so this time must have been quite concerning.

Looked at the dances again and ,IMO, Jodie was woefully underscored. Paige had more tricks but Jodie's sense of rhythm is second to none.

Came here to say the same thing - Jodie and Keo should be proud of that samba, and it should've been more than a 1-point improvement over last week.

• Love 1
Paige seems insulting to Mark. Last week he needed to be more of a man. This week she took shots at his being able to lift her. It seemed rude to me

I didn't see the first episode so I can't speak to the "be more of a man" issue, but as someone how has partner danced before I have no problem with her being apprehensive about doing lifts with him. It can be more difficult to do lifts with a guy who is almost the same size and Mark doesn't have huge biceps, so just from looking at him, I can see why she might be a little nervous especially considering the lift we saw them practicing during rehearsal and then later in the actual performance. It's one thing to do an assisted leap (as one of the female pros did this week with her male celebrity this week - maybe Lindsay?) or to do the kind of turning lift where the female's body stays at basically the same height as when she's standing and is held against the male's body while she lifts her legs off the floor briefly, but Mark wanted to do a lift where she was over his head which takes a lot more strength, balance, and trust. I've done those pressed against the body turning lifts with guys who had no dance experience and I wasn't bothered at all, but doing lifts where the guy had to pick me up over the head? I was nervous even with guys I had danced with before who I knew could pick me up easily. It's just a totally different feel and it really does take a lot of trust, strength, and timing.

• Love 1
(edited)

That all said, as much as Mischa probably NEEDS to get off this show, for her own sake, Geraldo being gone is a relief too. Even if it highlights how Edyta always gets screwed over by this show.

Typical of DWTS.  After a long absence to be a wife and mother (she and Alec are one great looking couple so the kid's got good genes) Edyta comes back to all of the ballyhoo, gets stuck with a clunker and bam, she's gone after one week.  The saving grace is that eliminated dancers always stay for the season and are in the pro routines so we'll get to see more of her.

BTW, what does everyone think of the show so far without Derek?  Looks OK to this point.  Sasha is an outstanding dancer and partner and takes up some of the slack. He can do some good things with Kim once she calms down a bit.  Nice to see Keo with a contender for once as well. Tony too since it looks like Marla can move out on he floor. Overall, there seems to be more balance this season between the celebs minus Geraldo, Misha and maybe Doug.  The distribution among the pro dancers seems better balanced as well.

Edited by cali1981
(edited)

Wait. We're those real tattoos on Mark or were they fake and just part of the performance?

The neck + chest were decals put on by the makeup dept.  Mark had some amusing snapchats of the process. He has real tattoos on his right arm (full sleeve) and left forearm (partial sleeve).  The left shoulder was makeup + Paige's sharpie.

Edited by Uke
  • Love 2