Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

This. The Duggar show seems to be very popular with people from their faith community

How can their fans be from their faith community when their faith doesn't allow television?

• Love 5

How can their fans be from their faith community when their faith doesn't allow television?

They're members of their faith community, and they watch television. Just very, very selective television.

I'm wondering if the best approach now is just to ignore them. So, if TLC sinks more time and money into a Duggar series or special, I can't see it being as successful as past seasons. 

I still think the best way to be heard is to watch the first show; take note of commercials, and write complaints to advertisers.

• Love 5

If the Duggars think that Gothard's comments are going to help them, they're sadly mistaken.

Nice to see the old man is out of "retirement". And I'm wondering when someone's going to file a civil suit against HIM for his transgressions.

• Love 5

Okay, probably going to hate myself for asking, but what in Gothardese is a "whoremonger"? Because the literal definition is someone who patronizes prostitutes...what's he trying to say about Gothardite men?

• Love 1
(edited)

Okay, probably going to hate myself for asking, but what in Gothardese is a "whoremonger"? Because the literal definition is someone who patronizes prostitutes...what's he trying to say about Gothardite men?

I think he just likes to use words out of the King James. I've read a lot of "encounters with Gothard" stories, and in them he seems to be constantly quoting bible verses that had that word in them, along with "sorcerers" and words for other KJV-style evil-doers. I'm guessing he really likes fancy-sounding words and he figures that calling people for the Renaissance names for sins will be a good intimidation tactic to make them think that their own sins are maybe worse than they actually are.

I think that people genuinely care about the other 18 children and spouses and children, including Anna and her children. The only ones that everybody hates are the parents and Josh.

Rather than a spinoff with just Jill and Jessa, can't they do a show with everyone except Jim Bob, Michelle, and Josh? I want to know what happens with Josiah's courtship. I want to know if there is something between Joseph and Tori Bates. I want to know what happens with them all except for the three sickies.

I don't see how they would or even can, since the whole thing is predicated on their being familyfamilyfamilyJimBobheadshipJimBobheadshipJimBobDaddyWhoHasTheirHeartJoshieIsForgivenAndMeMeMEMEchelleGaveBirthToEveryOneOfThem. I mean, that's the whole story in their minds, that's the hook -- what a great godly patriarchal family they are. Excising the parents and the oldest brother -- born to "be the leader" of his family, as Derick said of Izzy -- would be a big flashing sign saying that the Duggar brand ain't what it's widely been supposed to be.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7

Not gonna lie, I kinda love the word "whoremonger." It has so much more bite than "sexually immoral." Let's look at Ephesians 5:5 -

English Standard Version

For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.

King James Version

For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

See what I mean? 

• Love 4

I think that people genuinely care about the other 18 children and spouses and their children, including Anna and her children. The only ones that everybody hates are the parents and Josh.

Rather than a spinoff with just Jill and Jessa, can't they do a show with everyone except Jim Bob, Michelle, and Josh? I want to know what happens with Josiah's courtship. I want to know if there is something between Joseph and Tori Bates. I want to know what happens with them all except for the three sickies.

All of that info would be posted regardless if there is a show or not.  The last month has revealed this.  

• Love 2

I don't pretend to be a biblical scholar, so I may have missed something, but Jesus didn't really say all that many things in the bible and I thought I was familiar with at least most of them. When did he mention seven stresses and the endocrine system?

• Love 14

I think that people genuinely care about the other 18 children and spouses and their children, including Anna and her children. The only ones that everybody hates are the parents and Josh.

Three sickies are the only revealed so far. The entire cult supports 'sickies' and by letting them keep their platform it draws more in. They breed like rabbits. It's not a good thing to follow that lure. IMO of course.

I also want to know 'what happens' but it's that curiosity about this family that keeps them in business. Eventually, again IMO, they will put it ALL on social media (if TLC drops them.) Right now they are using: The sex of the Seewald baby, the marriage preparations of Josiah, the missionary adventure of the Dillards and any potential pregnancies and courtships of the other kids, as bait to keep fans.

I will also feel defrauded if TLC is filming the missionary trip as they already have funds from fans and Jessa is misleading the public with her 'pretend' plane boarding. If that becomes a tv special and people don't question it? Then the sheep should be eaten up by the IN TOUCH wolves.

• Love 4

Not to be overly contrary, but we already KNOW what's going to happen. Failing a jailbreak on the part of some of the more intelligent, less brainwashed kids, it's arranged courtship, quick wedding, even faster pregnancy, then another one. Rinse, repeat.

Who cares?

• Love 23

I don't pretend to be a biblical scholar, so I may have missed something, but Jesus didn't really say all that many things in the bible and I thought I was familiar with at least most of them. When did he mention seven stresses and the endocrine system?

Didn't you know? Gothard has a direct line to Jesus. Just like L. Ron Hubbard had a direct line to Xenu. They get the inside scoop.

• Love 7

Not to be overly contrary, but we already KNOW what's going to happen. Failing a jailbreak on the part of some of the more intelligent, less brainwashed kids, it's arranged courtship, quick wedding, even faster pregnancy, then another one. Rinse, repeat.

Who cares?

Exactly. It's all just one long yawn.

• Love 5
It makes me wonder what JB and Mechelle know about bribes and why they brought a suspicion like that up unless they are familiar with such practices themselves.  Just my opinion.  Funny how they also brought up 'slander'  when they had no problem accusing someone else of taking a bribe to get the Josh info released.  JB and Mechelle openly in that interview accused OTHERS of bribery and slander.  Interesting.

Knowing what we know about the Duggars and how they have handled things in the past I'd say this could be a case of classic projection. They throw out accusations of slander and bribery because those things are exactly what they would do (and have done, at least the slander bit).

The more I find out about Jim Boob, the more I think he's got the morals of a spiv. And I'm not sure he even realises this because he seems to be completely lacking in self-awareness. To himself he is a morally upstanding godly Christian pillar of the community whose whole life is a 'ministry' to the evil godless heathens of the modern world. All those instances of bullying, shady deals, grifting, hiding crimes and so on are totally irrelevant and perfectly fine anyway because Jim Boob is the one doing them and he can obviously do no wrong what with being the above mentioned upstanding Christian and all.

• Love 11

Didn't you know? Gothard has a direct line to Jesus.

Well, he has a direct like to someone. Its unlikely that its Jesus at the end of that call. Although I can't imagine any deity or devil would be interested in hearing from him. I am trying to imagine a conversation between Gothard and Jesus. I imagine it mostly would go Gothard complaining that his followers aren't doing what he said. 'I told them to isolate themselves from everyone, follow everything I say, I kicked out the gays and told the ones inside to pray it away'. 'I never said any of that crap. Pick up a Bible you moron, I never said the crap you say. Stop putting my name on it'.-Jesus. 'Also, yes the getting you removed, and the fall of you, that Vision guy, that was my work. And I'm not done yet.' 'Also, tell that moron with all the kids that was me too. Not the liberals. Me. The phase those without sin cast the first stone? Ever heard of it? Probably not since its in the Bible. Considered the stone thrown. Your welcome, Jesus.

• Love 11

That link from The Daily Mail contained more information than InTouch and Raw Story combined.

When is somebody going to break this story wide open? Why has the compound not been stormed, with accredited child welfare councilors bursting in and demanding answers? What is the power Jim Bob wield over his county/state? 

This tip-toeing around makes me furious!

• Love 5

Well, he has a direct like to someone.

Actually I think it's two direct lines -- one is a direct line from him to his crazy and the other is a direct line from him to his crazy-like-a-fox. It's nuts. But it's made his family rich and (after a fashion) powerful.

• Love 3
The book "Devoted" is coming out just in time to maybe help shine a light on the dangers of the "modesty" culture.

I read Devoted as soon as it came out and I don't think the author really focused too much on modesty/purity and rape culture, honestly. There were a few mentions here and there but the emphasis is mostly on the protagonist not liking how she isn't allowed to read - there's this whole thing with her constantly reading A Wrinkle in Time, one of the only books she has - and getting in trouble for corresponding with a former fundie. Of course there's the requisite YA love interest, but there isn't as much modestly/purity angsting over that as you would expect. (Some angsting, yes.) To be fair though, I don't remember too much about the love interest angle, because that tends to be my least favorite part in any YA book. So maybe there was more angsting and I just blocked it out.

That link from The Daily Mail contained more information than InTouch and Raw Story combined.

When is somebody going to break this story wide open? Why has the compound not been stormed, with accredited child welfare councilors bursting in and demanding answers? What is the power Jim Bob wield over his county/state?

This tip-toeing around makes me furious!

It should be kept in mind that the Daily Mail is not a newspaper of record. It is a notoriously lowbrow tabloid. The Daily Mail article doesn't state when, where or how they interviewed Gothard. It's plausible that he was asked leading questions by someone pretending (or perhaps not pretending) to be further to the right than Rush Limbaugh. Gothard may have thought his answers would appease his interviewer.

This is the newspaper that nearly always published the underage Courtney Stodden bikini photo shoots/publicity stunts.

• Love 4

I also kind of wondered if it wasn't kind of a warning shot to the Duggars from Gothard. Sort of his way of saying, "if you don't play by my rules, I will do more interviews that make your family look even worse. And I'll be believed because people want to believe things (even if I have a history of being a lying pervert) and because I know everything about you"

I am trying to imagine a conversation between Gothard and Jesus. I imagine it mostly would go Gothard complaining that his followers aren't doing what he said.

. Ha! My mind shot ahead before I read the rest of your post, and I'm pretty sure a convo between Gothard and Jesus would be all about Gothard patiently telling the Holy Trinity how HE would do things if HE were in charge!

"K, Mr. Aahhh, Jesus..."

• Love 3

It should be kept in mind that the Daily Mail is not a newspaper of record. It is a notoriously lowbrow tabloid. The Daily Mail article doesn't state when, where or how they interviewed Gothard. It's plausible that he was asked leading questions by someone pretending (or perhaps not pretending) to be further to the right than Rush Limbaugh. Gothard may have thought his answers would appease his interviewer.

This is the newspaper that nearly always published the underage Courtney Stodden bikini photo shoots/publicity stunts.

Exactly, take anything from the Daily Mail with lethal amounts of salt. And yes they are (sadly not the only paper) who are incredibly hypocritical in that they get hysterical over "OMG EVERYONE'S A PEDOPHILE KILL KILL!!" yet in the same edition will publish "sexy school girl" photos and other underage girls in clothes that live nothing to the imagination under the guise of "fashion" or "celebrity".

• Love 3
(edited)

There's plenty of documentation of Gothard teaching 'doctrine' every bit as insane as anything he said in that interview, to children, for money, with helpful supportive classroom materials produced by the large religious organization he was using as a shopping mall to choose his own victims from. 

That said, I guess I'm not clear how it would help if Gothard was saying clearly insane things about sexual abuse and religion because he thought he was speaking to extreme reactionaries. He runs a cult filled with extreme reactionaries. His followers have women living as uneducated house servants and brood sows and training the daughters they breed to live as uneducated house servants and brood sows in a community their most prominent members say is rife with sexual abuse because Gothard says that's what God wants from them. Is the suggestion that the twisted predator's 'gospel' they live by is designed to pander to the political right? 

Not actually conservative myself, but I think better of them than that.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 3

I don't think of it as pandering to the right at all. Preaching to its most extreme fringe and hoping to make inroads with "fundie-lite" groups they can convert, sure. It's also something that the Huckabee's of this world support to a certain extent (maybe not as extreme)and he's a national politician albeit not seen as one who would win a presidential nomination.

My point was that the DM do have a habit of releasing “interviews” that turn out to be cobbled together quotes from other sources. Although, even if that’s the case we know Gothard himself does really preach a lot of this and worse. I wasn't commenting on the content of what Gothard said as bitching at the mail.

• Love 2

I just watched a David Waller video on YouTube named Michelle Duggar &Princilla Waller Give Encouragement to Mothers and Daughters. It was 4.12 minutes of true Gothard speak and high pitched baby voices. It seems to me f that Princilla is truely nuts.

• Love 4

Who are the two dark haired girls in the lower right?

One might be Jinger, assuming she'd finished her housework for the day. I'm guessing that's Ben on the couch, playing on his phone. You can't actually see that, but I'm 99 percent sure that's what he's doing.

• Love 1

I see tonight's prime time lineup is "The Man Who Lost His Face," "Born Without Limbs," and "Diagnose Me.' I'm thinking the sponsors are not all that picky. 

Maybe in another ten years, one of the freak shows (likely on TLC if it's around in some incarnation) will be "Born Without His Own Reality Show." Everyone should have his very own Truman Show!

• Love 3

Maybe in another ten years, one of the freak shows (likely on TLC if it's around in some incarnation) will be "Born Without His Own Reality Show." Everyone should have his very own Truman Show!

And some would say we as humans have evolved beyond the circus freak shows of the past. But, I fear another medium has developed. Whether it's "Jerry Springer" or TLC's "My 600 lb Little Person Face, That Sent Me To The ER For Having Sex and 25 Children......", trash and trashy people will find a way to try and make their lives feel normal, or make normal people feel their little peccadillos are not that strange. One could say it is just human nature, but I am done with TLC, Lifetime, and any other network that airs this trash. I am also done with any products that advertise on those networks. And I don't care what program they sponsor. If it's on a network that airs trash, I am not buying!

• Love 7

King James Version

For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

See what I mean? 

What if it was just "over the clothes"?

• Love 11