Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

I just want to know how Josh can claim that Evelyn is against same-sex marriage when his mother has been estranged from Evelyn for what appears to be several years? I guess he figured that would never get back to her; she would not be a likely candidate to be listening to the FRC's radio show. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

The article refers to Josh's claim that Evelyn Ruark is against gay marriage. The weird thing about that is that she's in a long term relationship with this woman, Sharon. So even if Evelyn is against gay marriage (which I guess could be possible - maybe) why does that matter at all?  Josh makes this claim trying to make it sound like his aunt acknowledges something "wrong' with being gay when it reality she is happily living in a homosexual relationship. While part of me hopes Evelyn speaks out against Josh's comments about her and other Duggar comments, the other part of me hopes she doesn't feel the need to justify herself or her relationship to anyone. 

• Love 7

It could also be that Evelyn and her partner have just decided that marriage isn't for them, and Josh is twisting her words to mean she stated that gays in general shouldn't marry.

It's funny how the Duggars only get their panties in a wad over issues that essentially concern sex (abortion and LGBT rights). Are they aware there are other problems in this country? They're such a lame, predictable, one-trick pony.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 6

It could also be that Evelyn and her partner have just decided that marriage isn't for them, and Josh is twisting her words to mean she stated that gays in general shouldn't marry.

It's funny how the Duggars only get their panties in a wad over issues that essentially concern sex (abortion and LGBT rights). Are they aware there are other problems in this country? They're such a lame, predictable, one-trick pony.

Also, they live in Ohio, which appears to be trending towards one of the last states to legalize same-sex marriage. It could be that they've simply said they won't bother to go out of state, do a commitment ceremony, etc., and that Josh is twisting that to mean she's against gay marriage. I know a lot of people who shrugged and said marriage just wasn't important enough to make a big deal, but the second their state legalized it and it was as simple as paperwork they were in line at city hall. 

• Love 1

I'm going to Occam's razor this.   Josh knows he has a gay aunt.   He knows he will get asked about it.   So he just decided to say she is against gay marriage without even bothering to discuss the icky issue of mawwiage with someone.

• Love 10

Jill is turning into a mini version of her mother. What does she do during the day that people will find interesting. Giggle and talk about her awesome, sweet husband and about her future investments aka her blessings aka her future God's Army aka her children. I would rather watch paint dry.

At the end of this article, the question "If Jill scored a spinoff, would you watch?" was posed. And as of this comment, only 2 replies received - both of which were negative BTW.  So maybe this is just a case of someone needing something - anything - to write about...

I'm figuring it probably is but just saying it puts it out there. Honestly I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is what Jill wants and let's face it, TLC isn't known for their good judgement.

It would be the same old, same old.  Birthday parties, family trips....Actually, I can't think of anything they could put in a Jill/Derick show that would be the least bit interesting.  One infant wouldn't bring much.  She had better wait until she has a half dozen blessings to have her own show.

• Love 2

Makes me wonder if Jill is/was hoping to have a 'Duggars: The Next Generation" type show with Josh and Jessa. I think Josh would go for it but I suspect Jessa would be less likely to. While we are speculating about gossip, there was that story that Jessa and Jill were at each other. Maybe it was over this. 

Wow - I seriously need a life.

• Love 1

I'm figuring it probably is but just saying it puts it out there. Honestly I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is what Jill wants and let's face it, TLC isn't known for their good judgement.

Completely agree. I'm guessing Jill would love-love-love this, since for one thing, it would probably require Derick to leave WalMart. And yes, I'm sorry to say I do think he would be dumb enough to do this. Even though I don't believe he's as clueless as the Duggars are about the real world, I can see him thinking "so OK, we do this show for a few years and build us a nice nest egg of cash, then we can do whatever we want afterward..."  

PS - never was there a truer sentence spoken than "TLC isn't known for their good judgment." LOL.

• Love 4

Look how they became famous.  Mummy's breeding skills and Daddy's super sperm.  The lack of education means you will never hear Josh expound (thank god) on the deficit, the merits of a Fair Tax, or cutting interest for student loan debt.  Sex and procreation is all these people know

• Love 3

As for Evelyn, Ohio did legalize gay marriage, but it was rescinded a couple of months ago. For all we know, Evelyn and her partner (sorry, can't remember her name) were first in line for a license. After 30 years of not being able to legalize it, I hope they were! Anything to make the Duggars seethe as they continue to be on the wrong side of history. 

Saw the Enquirer at the store yesterday. If there was a Duggar article, it was buried inside; the front was all about Miley Cyrus' "drug den." LOL

Makes me wonder if Jill is/was hoping to have a 'Duggars: The Next Generation" type show with Josh and Jessa. I think Josh would go for it but I suspect Jessa would be less likely to. While we are speculating about gossip, there was that story that Jessa and Jill were at each other. Maybe it was over this.

Wow - I seriously need a life.

I agree with this. And it's a big part of the reason I think Jessa, for all of the impression that she's the "princess" will be happy with the greatest reduction in income and lifestyle of all of the oldest children. Provided that it's her choice, of course. The other children seem almost frantically willing to sell every moment of their lives for money while she seems to at least understand that her privacy is still valuable. She knows she needs money - I don't think she's impervious, and she's not about to toss the whole thing aside - but I think she might live on less if it meant she could have more control. The others? They are more or less for sale.

Super Sperm? More like demon seed, he sure likes to spill his demon seed into MeChelle..

No,no! That's WRONG Jim Bob and Michelle made 19 earth blessings and two angels of heaven! And there's still more to make, you guys keep forgetting he's doing the Lord's work, impregnating a wanton whore like Michelle, who probably kissed a boy before Jim Bob.

He's like that one guy in the bible who kept staying with that prostitute lady. WWe should all learn about God's love from him.

(Imagine how scary it would be if Jim Bob actually thought this?)

• Love 2

I can't believe how out of the loop I am sometimes.  I just found out about Jana being edited out of an episode of the show so it looked like Smuggers and wife were actually capable of going on vacation with their kids without extra help.  Sometimes I hate these people.

• Love 1

If there is any truth to this spinoff idea, I suspect it's being seen as sort of an illustration of "The Duggars; the Early Years" by those who actually follow the family with admiration and miss being able to see where and how they began on their journey.

Problem being that you'd need to go back to some of the (probably *gasp* unchaperoned) conversations between the teenage Boob and MEchelle, followed by some speculation on god's will re BC after the loss of J'Caleb to really get a handle on the evolution of their beliefs. Just watching the day-to-day dynamics of a young family with a baby or even two in close succession doesn't give any insight into that. And if it includes anything like detailed footage of blanket training or other Pearl-approved (though I do understand they seem to have distanced themselves from the worst of it) techniques, I don't imagine it will do all thatmuch to boost their approval rating.

• Love 2

Glad you put the last sentence in otherwise you would have had an "accident" on the top of a high rise building. My post would have been: Dillpickles accidentally slipped of the edge of the building, who cares if his hands were tied and he was blindfolded.

My faith in father Jim Bob will serve to protect me from heathens like you who wish me harm.

By the power of Michelle, I banish you to the prayer closet!

(Is it true that they have like two? I think I read that on free Jinger somewhere )

In which it is proven that Jilly Muffin put up a heathen tree, and that she does in fact drive Derick to/from work AND eats lunch with him EVERY.DAMN.DAY. Smothered much? I hope Derick gets some "alone time" in the bathroom. /eyeroll 

• Love 2

In which it is proven that Jilly Muffin put up a heathen tree, and that she does in fact drive Derick to/from work AND eats lunch with him EVERY.DAMN.DAY. Smothered much? I hope Derick gets some "alone time" in the bathroom. /eyeroll

"Ben has a big heart/love for people. " except Catholics, gays etc.

Could Jill act anymore like a teenager? "I was like freaking out!".

Gag.

• Love 5

"I was like freaking out".

Yes, you sound mature enough to raise a child.

And we need to think of a Jill smother-y name. Driving him to & from work, & having lunch with him? Poor guy probably relishes the private time at work.

• Love 3

How did Jessa rate getting an SUV (in addition to Bin's pickup)? I've seen them in both in the past two months. However, we've yet to see Jerick in any vehicle (that one of them is driving) other than Derick's car. Maybe she didn't get an SUV because she got the McMansion? Who knows with these people?

First of all, Jill and Jessa are fascinating. For what? Because Jessa married Ben, and Jill got married and knock up within a short period of time. Seriously... Talk about a sad commentary on civilization.

Second, Jill and her giggling and smothering of Derick. How sweet, awesome, and special. Jill is starting to remind me more and more of Michelle.

Maybe that's Jim Bob's way of quelling the favoritism talk? Jill gets the big house but Jessa gets the fancy Paris honeymoon and her own car. If it's true that Jill and Derick are currently sharing his car (and all signs seems to indicate this) then I don't have problem with her driving him to and from work every day. That means she can have the car to do her own thing while he's gone instead of being stuck at home all day. 

Someone refresh my memory - what do the Duggars have against Christmas trees? Did Jilly *gasp* do something against her parent's approval?

Regarding the Jill spin off... The whole premise of the show is how they do things "a little bit different" because there were 14+ of them (I'm aware the different part can also refer to religion but let's face it just religion would not have gotten them a show)... So now Jill could get a spin-off and we can watch how she parents ONE child?

Josh's gay marriage comments... I fail to see why whether or not his gay aunt agrees with gay marriage has anything to do with the other millions of gay families shouldn't be allowed to get married. So what if she doesn't agree, then don't get married.., but that doesn't give you the right to decide that nobody should. There are plenty of straight couples that don't believe in marriage, but I don't see them picketing that nobody should get married. I don't believe she really feels that way, I think it just helps Josh sleep better at night that he's not being judgemental because his aunt agrees... But the mentality he has that even she says its wrong so it must be wrong bothers me.

• Love 6

(Wry tone) guess they are saving up for that second car rather than go into debt.

I thought the same thing. I realize she may need the car during the day, but couldn't she plan ahead "hey, I'll need the car on Tuesday to go grocery shopping. " & let him take the car the other days. That way they don't have to do 2 round trips each day (oops, make that 3 trips, I forgot the lunch run) & could save the money they pay in the extra gas for a second car. Plus I'm sure Jilly could borrow one of cars from the Duggar fleet if needed.

I was going to say I feel sorry for Derick being smothered, but once again, it must be OK with him or he would change it.

I thought the same thing. I realize she may need the car during the day, but couldn't she plan ahead "hey, I'll need the car on Tuesday to go grocery shopping. " & let him take the car the other days. That way they don't have to do 2 round trips each day (oops, make that 3 trips, I forgot the lunch run) & could save the money they pay in the extra gas for a second car. Plus I'm sure Jilly could borrow one of cars from the Duggar fleet if needed.

I was going to say I feel sorry for Derick being smothered, but once again, it must be OK with him or he would change it.

If she keeps up the smothering behavior, he very well might change it at some point.  Couples that are together nearly 24/7 almost never work out.  FYI - just a little bit of data from a childhood friend of mine who happens to practice family law or as she says "Hey I do divorces..."

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 1

There are two potential reasons for why the Duggars don't have a Christmas tree. Some conservative Christians want there to be a focus on Jesus during Christmas, which means no Santa Claus or Christmas trees, neither of which have anything to do with Jesus. The other reason may be that witches came up with the idea of decorating trees. Witches are often associated with the devil, so the Duggars try to stay away from anything that has to do with witches. It would be very hypocritical of them to not celebrate Halloween because it was created by witches but have a Christmas tree, which was created by witches.

The Duggars had trees in the past and even this year had a small evergreen with lights on it in the house.  You could see it in the Christmas video.  :)  Jill had a fully decorated tree.  It could be Michelle is just too lazy or the kids are too rowdy.  

• Love 1

The Duggars had trees in the past and even this year had a small evergreen with lights on it in the house.  You could see it in the Christmas video.  :)  Jill had a fully decorated tree.  It could be Michelle is just too lazy or the kids are too rowdy.  

I really think Michelle just doesn't care about that sort thing and she is possibly lazy or burned out. That sort of thing when it does happen seems to be for TLC storylines and then someone else does it anyway.

• Love 1

Good heavens, Derick, run, run run.   Can you imagine having to go back to work and explain how your wife insists on having lunch with him?    How does he network over lunch with his wife RIGHT THERE?   He needs to have time to DO his job and spend with co-workers so he can advance.   He can't do that with the "little woman" hanging off his arm allt he time.   

• Love 4

I really think Michelle just doesn't care about that sort thing and she is possibly lazy or burned out. That sort of thing when it does happen seems to be for TLC storylines and then someone else does it anyway.

From what we see in the video, she's mostly into painting big signs, just like when she was a cheerleader. 

• Love 3

I hadn't heard that Christmas trees were created by witches. I thought its principal origin was the German Yule tree in which its evergreen nature reflected eternal life. 

For "witches" read "followers of a pre-christian, nature-based belief system" who'd hold a big annual celebration to recognize that the days were getting longer. 

• Love 7

My husband and I actually didn't have two cars until we were in our thirties and did the drive to work and/or plan the day around no car. I can understand why Jill would rather have the car - aside from the fact that she isn't someone used to being alone (which is actually a really big deal) there is something to be said for the person with the more flexible schedule having the car, because emergencies and things you can't plan do come up (especially with a family member going through medical treatment and a pregnancy).

On eating lunch together every day? I've got nothing.

Re: the Christmas tree being a pagan thing, not a Christian Christmas symbol.

As I read, the Druids, who were pagan, worshipped and decorated the evergreen tree because they didn't understand why that tree remained "green or alive" during the winter while the others "died" and turned brown or dormant. They celebrated the winter solstice, which is Dec 21st and it was a pagan celebration. The collective celebration of Christmas was decided to be Dec 25th by the Catholic Church to deter interest in the pagan religion and easier to convert to Christianity to have a holiday around the same time of year. The evergreen tree got "sucked up" and absorbed into Christmas. One can make a Christmas tree a spiritual theme as easily as making it any other non religious theme. I think the Duggars are simply unnecessarily severe or extremely lazy or BOTH.

• Love 7

If the Duggars really wanted to avoid anything created by pagans, they would stop celebrating birthdays since birthday celebrations are based on ancient pagan ritual. I've heard of Christians and Jehovah's Witnesses who won't celebrate birthdays for this reason.

• Love 1

The winter solstice was about celebrating the birth of the Sun god. This evolved into Christmas and celebrating the birth of the Son (Christ). I'm sure Jim Bob and Michelle's ancestors participated in the Pagan rituals, considering they are Scotch/Irish.

I would love to do some digging into their ancestry. I know, I'm a nerd.

• Love 2