Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

Does Jim Bob try to give her a special present everyday?  I will now head back to my prayer closet.

Just the thought of Jim Boob in a frisky mood is horrific. One can only imagine his seduction technique.

And now I need a wire BBQ brush to scrub that image off of my brain pan...

• Love 4

Regarding the Christmas video - oh my! Just what I want from my neighbors is a gift basket with a bible, banana & some candy. I guess it's the Duggar version of Harry & David's. Of course, MEchelle dodged the answer of why they don't have a Christmas tree. (Besides little ones getting into it?) I don't understand how a Christmas tree is going against their beliefs if that is why they don't have one. I noticed Derick, Jill & Baby Dill bump are right up front when the group is singing. I could go on with more snarking but it is Christmas Eve.

Can't wait to read about Amy's man.

I thought she was going to say something directly about a tree being pagan. I was noticing that they had a fir tree decoration on the table behind her though it wasn't decorated in the manner of the pagans so perhaps it is a compromise.  Josh brought it up and (I think) expected Michelle to explain how a Christmas tree is pagan. It was an awkward moment, I thought.

Re: The twelve things the Duggars gave to me #4 is wrong. It's 4 children in 7 years. They will be married closer to seven years when the baby is born. I know at least two couples who had 4 in kids in 6 years, although maybe they're counting from when Mac is born.

Two On the quiz I got 85 percent. I missed the last two questions. 

Edited by Temperance

The most consistent thing about the Duggars seems to be that they lack self control with ANYTHING. They are unnecessarily severe in all they do and in all they don't do. They constantly site comparisons like enjoying ONE alcoholic beverage with getting out of control drunk and driving and the unthinkable happening. They don't have any boundaries in their decision making and their actions. I believe that's why they live to restrictively; to reduce their chances of "going wild".

Well when you live a life of black and white and never get a chance to experience shades of gray, of course you think there's only one or the other. Look at the responses you get from the older kids about them being sheltered (some of us like pickles and some don't!) and the way they talk about "other" people. It's so obvious that they have no idea how the rest of the world works nor do they ever want to.

• Love 1
As a wine-swiling Christian I have asked some of these self-righteous Christians about this very thing. Haven't heard a good response yet. There is a difference between drinking and getting drunk. The differentiation is made in the Bible.

I have a response to this, but I'll take it to the Religion thread.

One more comment about the Christmas video. On the group shot of the family, MEchelle is holding Josie, once again. It was bad enough when she was younger, but Josie is 5 now. I do realize in MEchelle's mind Josie is the baby & will always be treated as such but it will really look weird when Josie is 12.

I'm off to do my heathen's tradition of leaving milk & cookies out for Santa. Merry Christmas !!

• Love 2

Could Josh be more obnoxious in the video. I guess they are trying to prove how giving the family is by the gifts for the neighbors. And why the heck are people sending them presents? Donate to organizations who actually help people not for a bunch of famewhores who sell their own children for a five minutes of fame and ratings.

If they have that secluded property how are they making gift baskets for neighbors they probably don't know?

I like the fake dishwashing- we all know they will be eating on disposable plates.

One more comment about the Christmas video. On the group shot of the family, MEchelle is holding Josie, once again. It was bad enough when she was younger, but Josie is 5 now. I do realize in MEchelle's mind Josie is the baby & will always be treated as such but it will really look weird when Josie is 12.

I'm off to do my heathen's tradition of leaving milk & cookies out for Santa. Merry Christmas !!

I thought the same thing. And I saw a magazine cover of Katie Holmes holding Suri Cruise again. She is always being carried! My DS is the same age & 75 lbs. My back would go out.

Wait- isn't J'chelle supposed to have a bad back?

The most consistent thing about the Duggars seems to be that they lack self control with ANYTHING. They are unnecessarily severe in all they do and in all they don't do. They constantly site comparisons like enjoying ONE alcoholic beverage with getting out of control drunk and driving and the unthinkable happening. They don't have any boundaries in their decision making and their actions. I believe that's why they live to restrictively; to reduce their chances of "going wild".

Which is why if the kids ever got free they would go crazy

If they had a conscience they would send any presents they receive to charity organizations to be donated to others, or liquidized for cash. Perhaps they do some of this. I hope so, at least.

This is what I'm hoping for, looking at their wedding gift registries. They know people will want to buy them gifts, so they ask for things they know charities can use, or can be turned into money to donate. That way they avoid the whole charity issue, allow people to give, but the outcome is the same.

• Love 1

If they had a conscience they would send any presents they receive to charity organizations to be donated to others, or liquidized for cash.  Perhaps they do some of this.  I hope so, at least.

Sorry to say it, but I REALLY doubt they donate any gifts they receive.  It just doesn't sound like something that would even occur to Boob.  Nope, I'm thinking they go right into one of their numerous corrugated steel warehouses...

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 8

Sorry to say it, but I REALLY doubt they donate any gifts they receive. It just doesn't sound like something that would even occur to Boob. Nope, I'm thinking they go right into one of their numerous corrugated steel warehouses...

Why would they donate things to those in need?

God impressed it upon someone's heart to bless the holy duggars with these offerings of love!

• Love 2

So much for the bad back that kept her from being able to hold a child any bigger than an infant up until now.  Thou shalt not bear false witness, bitch.

• Love 11

I, too find it difficult to understand why Josie is still being held in pictures. She turned 5!  That missing back muscle must have miraculously regenerated itself. I think Josie is quite difficult to control and stand still. In the photos I have seen posted, she is either being held, or Michelle has a "death grip" on her.

• Love 1

My favorite part is how Mechelle pontificates about Luke and not having a Christmas tree, yet in the center of the kitchen island, the centerpiece contains THREE CHRISTMAS TREES! LMAO! 

I also just can't with Smuggar's (Christ)mas hoodie. We KNOW already! 

Because we all know Christ is parenthetical to Christmas. 

I love how Jessa said Jill is an example of a loving wife. Yeah, Jill's a pro at marriage after just 6 months. Sorry, I just have to comment that Baby Dill is front & center in the wedding photo.

• Love 1

I noticed in the caroling pictures some of the little girls don't have coats on. Is it that warm in Arkansas this time of year that you can be out at night without a jacket?

Right now it's in the 40's at night. I would certainly have my kids wear a jacket. A few weeks ago iwe had a few days of 60's in the day & still pretty warm in the evening. Who knows when the actual caroling was taped.

I noticed in the caroling pictures some of the little girls don't have coats on. Is it that warm in Arkansas this time of year that you can be out at night without a jacket?

I can tell you that it's like pulling teeth to get my 11 and 14 year old to put coats on even when it's below freezing outside.  I think it's a new "thing" among adolescents and kids.  Coats are not "cool."  They insist that their hoodie is a "jacket."  We've had many, many go arounds on this one.  However, that's not necessarily the reason for it in this case.

Is King Jesus a normal name to call him?

In some Christian circles this is standard and acceptable, although not usually used as the primary title or address.  It's one of many titles by which Jesus is revered.

• Love 1

I just noticed on the family picture from the video it looks like Josh has a Baby bump. He's just carrying his higher than Jill's.

I'm glad the kids got some toys to play with. Since there are no real babies for them to care for at the present, it looks like the lost girls got baby dolls. I'm sure by today Jackson will have the dolls hanging off the catwalk.

• Love 2

From the Duggar FB page, some Christmas pics. Nothing too thrilling. I think it's John David behind Jana and Jinger wearing a Ted Cruz t-shirt. Blech.

https://www.facebook.com/duggarfamilyofficial (It's the first post on 12/26. Don't know if it will be after today.)

I'm sorry- it just stuck me as funny that J'chelle counted her two "pre-born" grandchildren in her count. I think mentioning her pregnant daughter & pregnant daughter in law was acknowledging them, no?

• Love 2

My favorite part is how Mechelle pontificates about Luke and not having a Christmas tree, yet in the center of the kitchen island, the centerpiece contains THREE CHRISTMAS TREES! LMAO!

I also just can't with Smuggar's (Christ)mas hoodie. We KNOW already!

I just came across duggarfamilyblog.com, & in 2011 it says the Duggars gather around the family Christmas tree to play games & drink apple cider. Tree this year is decorated by Jessa & Jinger.

So which is it J'chelle? Tree or no tree? I think she is rewriting the family history again.

• Love 3

Mark your calendars:

There's a blurb on the Duggar family blog saying new season starts on February 17, 2015. Says we will see how Jerick are doing as newlyweds as well as them sharing home videos as they prepare for Baby Dilly. The last sentence says the new season will also feature Benessa's wedding.

Well, I haven't read the blog, but if it's true it sounds like Jill is the new star of the show.  Viewers can look forward to lots of footage of her new marriage being instantly eclipsed by the Godly pregnancy, and occasional mention that there is another Duggar that has something going on in their lives.

• Love 2

Just watched the Duggar Christmas video.  Oh my, where to start?

Josh is so full of himself.  And his grammar is appalling.  "Cards have came in from all over the world."  And how many different things did he say are the "true meaning of Christmas"?  Jill and Jessa have got the adoring stare while hubby speaks down pat now.  Jessa spouts bilble verses spontaneously.  Mechelle makes me throw up in my mouth a little.  And their singing made my ears bleed.

Since when do we see the guys working in the kitchen? 

The whole thing is fake, FAKE, FAKE!!

• Love 3

That video was so staged, I think they should have listed credits when it was over...producer, director, lighting, sound crew, etc...The only real one was Jana toiling away yet again, now at a desk getting writers' cramp doing what her mother should have been doing.

• Love 2

These young Duggar fellows are being trained to head up Jim Bob's media empire.  He won't have to rely on TLC for his promotion and he can produce programs with the message he wants to spread, which might not be allowed on TLC (like the anti-abortion t-shirts.)  Their training has been pretty simplistic so far with little family videos.  Maybe Alert includes a film school.

I think the most nauseating part of the video was the fake, obviously staged scene of the boys doing dishes. Total FU moment for the Internet critics. The Duggars must think we conveniently forgot about the scene where the girls were hauling luggage out to the bus while four able-bodied teenaged boys sat around doing nothing.

• Love 1

The Christmas video was enlightening. Looks Josh will be giving birth a few weeks after Jill, and to add to that it looks like his breasts are keeping up with his stomach.

Jana looks like it's just another day at the office at her desk/reception/mail room area.

I'm all for celebrating Jesus and keeping him the center of Christmas -- no snark there, but the lack of a Christmas tree bc they're celebrating Jesus' birthday and they don't want to distract from that is hypocritical when you see all the myriads of Duggar Christmas presents on the long bench.

The hat that Jinjer had on was cute -- except that it's a hat for wearing outdoors, not indoors -- typical for the Duggars though.

Joy is getting big, not just tall, but big as in busty -- holy Nike!!

Jeremiah is getting chubby -- darn it! He's so handsome, it's a shame he'll lose his good looks eating all those cookies like his dad and older brothers.

Jill just bugs me by looking at her -- a mini Michelle. Hope her hair continues to fry and her gums continue to recede.

Well all that snark was like scratching an itch. Happy New Year, everyone!!

• Love 4

"Cards have came in?" Yikes. That is bad.

No kidding, this is really poor.  Should have been a "Take Two" on this video but I'm guessing no one heard anything wrong.  And this kid's job - in large part - is PUBLIC SPEAKING?  Right up there with the many "...this is Michelle and I's first time to do X..." that we've heard from Boob over the years.

• Love 2

Wasn't sure which thread to post this to, but stumbled across Sidehugs to Happily Ever Afters: TLC's Year of Love 2014 over the weekend. Had a lot of footage of the Duggar courtships and Jill's engagement & marraige (but not Jessa's engagement). Also showed footage of 90 Day Fiance and the two Little People, Big World engagements (& Jeremy's marriage). It was interesting to see the contrast of the stunted courtships to real relationships. And "Yes, totallly!" made the cut.

Edited by Turquoise

Wasn't sure which thread to post this to, but stumbled across Sidehugs to Happily Ever Afters: TLC's Year of Love 2014 over the weekend. Had a lot of footage of the Duggar courtships and Jill's engagement & marraige (but not Jessa's engagement). Also showed footage of 90 Day Fiance and the two Little People, Big World engagements (& Jeremy's marriage). It was interesting to see the contrast of the stunted courtships to real relationships. And "Yes, totallly!" made the cut.

I saw it too. Even tho there were clips from the other shows, it seemed to dwell on the Duggars. It was interesting to see the contrast of the courtships.

Well heck, I've been waiting for somebody to post about the article in the Daily Mail where they show pictures of Michelle and her brother and sisters.  They feature the gay one, and the article is about the gay sister supposedly calling Michelle's religion a cult.  Hello, fellow posters, where are you?