Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

The internet is forever. One quick Google search and the pics are there, maybe not on their IGs, but on the interwebs, none the less. They're so confident in their beliefs they are beyond tone deaf.

If they were truly so confident in their beliefs , they wouldn’t have removed the pictures from their own accounts. 

Edited by AstridM
  • Like 19
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

And then there is their shrine room to the Confederacy which they call their "America Room."  Gil Bates claimed that he only knew that Nathan Bedford Forrest was a Confederate general.  Sure.

bates heroes.jpeg

Edited by sagittarius sue
  • Sad 10
  • Useful 1
10 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

And then there is their shrine room to the Confederacy which they call their "America Room."  Gil Bates claimed that he only knew that Nathan Bedford Forrest was a Confederate general.  Sure.

bates heroes.jpeg

Yup. Another lowlight in their history that Kelly scrubbed from the blog. 

• Like 16
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, AstridM said:

If they were truly so confident in their beliefs , they wouldn’t have removed the pictures from their own accounts. 

I agree. Their confidence makes them tone deaf. Their want/need to shill and be famous has them kowtowing to push back.

• Like 6
20 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I agree. Their confidence makes them tone deaf. Their want/need to shill and be famous has them kowtowing to push back.

Kelly posted that Patriot Room pic before they had their own show, IIRC. It might have actually been after United Bates of America, but I don't remember the exact timing, only that it was part of the add-on that was started on 19 Kids.

• Like 6
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, sagittarius sue said:

Gil Bates claimed that he only knew that Nathan Bedford Forrest was a Confederate general.

That is somehow NOT bad enough?   Like the only thing you know is he fought against his own country and betrayed his oath?   But that's in your "America" room?   Just I cannot.   

• Like 7
  • Applause 6
  • Useful 1
12 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Kelly posted that Patriot Room pic before they had their own show, IIRC. It might have actually been after United Bates of America, but I don't remember the exact timing, only that it was part of the add-on that was started on 19 Kids.

That was posted a long time ago.  Maybe when the Dugs were visiting them one time for their show.

• Useful 2
12 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

That is somehow NOT bad enough?   Like the only thing you know is he fought against his own country and betrayed his oath?   But that's in your "America" room?   Just I cannot.   

A traitor. Yep. 

• Like 8
15 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

That was posted a long time ago.  Maybe when the Dugs were visiting them one time for their show.

Oh yeah. As I noted, it was on the old blog that was Kelly's baby. It was long before anyone had Instagram. 

• Like 5

Here's a rundown I came across of the new documentary -

The Duggars, with their 19 biological children, redefined an era of reality television through their hit show "19 Kids and Counting.'' Jim Bob Duggar, a conservative politician in Arkansas, and his wife Michelle, presented a wholesome, shiny, happy image to America. A devout Christian homeschooling family with strict rules on modesty, and a desire for as many children as God would give them, the Duggars were both an unusual fascination and an idyllic family. The show's popularity exploded. The Duggars modeled their family after the teachings of a magnetic leader named Bill Gothard. Through his organization, The Institute In Basic Life Principles (IBLP), Gothard sold a vision for America that promised to protect families from the dangers of the modern world, and the Duggars were the poster-family for the Institute. The reality series gave his teachings a national stage, and thousands of new members joined the fold. The organization was linked to the Quiverfull movement, an educationally questionable homeschool curriculum, as well as allegations of child labor and sexual abuse. Despite this, "19 Kids and Counting'' was a hit for TLC until, in 2015, an old police report was leaked, revealing the Duggars' eldest son, Josh, had allegedly molested several of his sisters. While the veneer of the Duggars' shiny world crumbled, survivors from other Institute in Basic Life Principles families began to come of age and leave the authoritarian system that caused them so much harm. As the series digs deep into the reality behind the facade, many IBLP survivors give extensive interviews for the first time, including Jill Duggar. Through the episodes, an insidious truth emerges. As America blissfully consumed abusive authoritarianism and misogyny as harmless entertainment, a new generation of culture warriors were infiltrating the highest levels of our country's democratic institutions, with the goal of assuring their "shiny happy'' fundamentalist ideology dictates America's future.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 12
11 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Here's a rundown I came across of the new documentary

If this delivers on all that -- it will be good.   I like how those who left Gothard are called survivors.   Yep.   

11 hours ago, DXD526 said:

the Quiverfull movement, an educationally questionable homeschool curriculum,

Its not just educaionally questionable, its damn stupid is what it is.

• Like 14

Starring Jill Duggar.

I'm guessing its an interview peppered throughout the show. I wonder what her angle will be? Something similar to Jinger's? I can't imagine Jill throwing too much shade at her family. Derick? For sure. Jill, not so much.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

If this delivers on all that -- it will be good.   I like how those who left Gothard are called survivors.   Yep.   

Its not just educaionally questionable, its damn stupid is what it is.

Abusive. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
26 minutes ago, Absolom said:

There is a trailer up.  

Watch Shiny Happy People: Duggar Family Secrets - Season 1 | Prime Video (amazon.com)

Here's the link for the trailer.  It appears Derick is sitting next to Jill so I imagine he comments also.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B0B8TTRX9Q/ref=atv_dl_rdr?autoplay=1

If you don't have Prime, it appears that one can watch the documentary with a 30 day free Prime trial membership.

• Thanks 4
  • Useful 4

I’m very curious about the doc and am off to view the trailer.

As for those pix above — ugh. I have an actual, visceral reaction (which I guess is good — for my own morals at least).

I live in Arkansas and my city seems fine, but yesterday on our way to a weekend getaway, we drove through a town that’s still known as a “sundown town.” Always gives me the creeps.

I just don’t understand people who think this way or at least don’t see a problem with it. Just gross. I hope the doc goes farther to expose the bugs under the rocks, so to speak. (No offense to bugs intended.)

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 5
(edited)
30 minutes ago, AgathaC said:

I’m very curious about the doc and am off to view the trailer.

As for those pix above — ugh. I have an actual, visceral reaction (which I guess is good — for my own morals at least).

I live in Arkansas and my city seems fine, but yesterday on our way to a weekend getaway, we drove through a town that’s still known as a “sundown town.” Always gives me the creeps.

I just don’t understand people who think this way or at least don’t see a problem with it. Just gross. I hope the doc goes farther to expose the bugs under the rocks, so to speak. (No offense to bugs intended.)

The mind blown is for the fact  there still exists a " sundown  town". That fact makes me want to cry. I.. i.. just have no words.

Edited by crazycatlady58
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Sad 12
Just now, crazycatlady58 said:

The mind blown is for the fact thar there still exists a " sundown  town". That fact makes me want to cry. I.. i.. just have no words.

Tell me about it. Absolutely disgusting. We’re straight WASPS, so “acceptable,” but we never stop there — even for gas. This time I caught a glimpse of a “white pride” billboard on our way through. It said something about love, but then advertised a WP site, so… yeah.

• Like 3
  • Sad 12
3 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

The mind blown is for the fact  there still exists a " sundown  town". That fact makes me want to cry. I.. i.. just have no words.

Had to google.  The last several years have been quite eye opening.  How this can exist TODAY in 2023 is deplorable.  It is shameful.  

I have to applaud Jill for participating in this doc.  While her personal beliefs may not be mine, she is AT LEAST calling out this sick and twisted 'religion'.  I would love her to take great strides but I am satisfied at least there are baby steps.  And let's be honest, satisfying me is the most important thing. 🤣😜

• Like 21

I watched the trailer and it does not focus as much on the Duggars as it does IBLP.  I hope the full movie does the same.  The trailer makes it seem like this is going to be a hard-hitting documentary on that cult - I hope it lives up to that promise.  These cults need to be exposed for what they are.  

• Like 12
  • Applause 5
(edited)

never have heard the term 'sundown town'.  need to google it, i guess.

~~~~

i did google it. i literally have never lived in a place like this. i can say that i have only once experienced even overt racism like this when i was a 16 y/o on a family trip to new orleans to visit an aunt and saw for my self the separate fountains and bathrooms. couldnt believe it then and still struggle with it now. it was so far out of my reality. just was not ever raised to accept that sort of stuff and always was taught that we are all that same so treat everyone the same.

...steps down off stool.

Edited by zoomama
  • Like 11
  • Applause 2
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

How would I watch or record this? I'm not familiar with Amazon Prime Video? I would love to see it. 

As Sagittarius Sue mentioned, Amazon is currently offering a 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime, which includes access to Amazon streaming, via their website or through other Amazon products.

Amazon Studios is, how to put this kindly, not exactly eager to share their original products with other streaming services, so I don't think it will be available anywhere else in the U.S. any time soon.  But some of the more popular Amazon Studios TV shows (The Expanse, Wheel of Time) have been released on Bluray and DVD, so if - and I stress if - this show is "popular" enough (by Amazon's standards), it might - might - get a DVD or Bluray release. I wouldn't count on that, though.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 4
27 minutes ago, zoomama said:

~~~~

i did google it. i literally have never lived in a place like this. i can say that i have only once experienced even overt racism like this when i was a 16 y/o on a family trip to new orleans to visit an aunt and saw for my self the separate fountains and bathrooms. couldnt believe it then and still struggle with it now. it was so far out of my reality. just was not ever raised to accept that sort of stuff and always was taught that we are all that same so treat everyone the same.

...steps down off stool.

I grew up in a very “old south” town and even I was stunned to discover this myself. There was a large black population and we just intermingled. Division was more along socio-economic lines than racial, really. I was just taught “everyone has value. Be kind to everybody.” So finding out this existed (when I was at college) threw me for a loop.

• Like 6
23 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Wow.  I had to Google as well.  I don't understand how this still goes on in some places, in this day and age.  I'm happy I grew up in Seattle, and wasn't raised to believe that way.

Living in the Twin Cities most of my life I've felt the same so I'm appalled by the fact that we've had six incidents of arson at Islamic Centers in 2023, one just yesterday.  Fortunately a suspect has already been arrested.  I believe this is primarily directed at the Somali community.  They have become a significant group through their own commendable hard work.

• Sad 7

I too had to Google sundown town. Uhm, oh my goodness.

There's a Google link to see them by state. There seem to be very many of them. Sometimes learning something new doesn't feel all that good.

• Like 3
  • Sad 15

It was mentioned in Jill's thread that she was pregnant during documentary interview. So sometime about a year ago. BUB was cancelled just about 2 years ago.

How far ahead do all these things happen in a documentary like this? When do they start reaching out to sources and contacts? Is it possible the documentary producers sent out letters/emails/phone calls to the adult Bates and Duggars asking for input or comments, 2 years ago? If they did, the way BUB ended would make total sense.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just checked out the trailer for Prime documentary.  It looks very interesting.  I look forward to watching.  Shall we post here or start a new thread?  

That's a good question.  I think we should start a new  thread just for the doc.  

• Like 2

I will start a thread for the documentary. 

5 hours ago, zoomama said:

~~~~

...steps down off stool.

Taking my reply to small talk. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, sixlets said:

I found this little gem on YT yesterday in my recommended list.  It is soooo cringy and just filled with second-hand embarrassment for the young kids.  There is an explanation of each clip with trigger warnings, and the creator also added on-screen commentary in certain areas.  Truly shows how fucked up this family is...

All the classics in one place!  'Mother is bleeding' to 'Grandpa on Wheels'!

The music with the mud wrestling!  😂

• LOL 15
On 6/14/2023 at 4:27 PM, sixlets said:

I found this little gem on YT yesterday in my recommended list.  It is soooo cringy and just filled with second-hand embarrassment for the young kids.  There is an explanation of each clip with trigger warnings, and the creator also added on-screen commentary in certain areas.  Truly shows how fucked up this family is...

All the classics in one place!  'Mother is bleeding' to 'Grandpa on Wheels'!

Regarding Josie's seizure, it occurred to me that not only did Michelle and JB not come home right away but the presence of the camera crew indicates they were filming without the parents there. I would have expected control freak JB to be there whenever the cameras were filming.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Tahitigirl said:

Regarding Josie's seizure, it occurred to me that not only did Michelle and JB not come home right away but the presence of the camera crew indicates they were filming without the parents there. I would have expected control freak JB to be there whenever the cameras were filming.

IIRC, Jana said in a talking head, she called the crew for help because they lived nearby. Then she called 911.

• Useful 4

The video goes into some detail about Josie.  One of the producers, Scott (Enlow?) was nearby filming some of the other kids, and someone told him what was happening.  He came rushing in to help Jana hold Josie.  JB & M were in Chicago, but since Grandma Mary and sister mother Jana were there, they knew Josie was in good hands 😒.  Stellar parenting at its finest.

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Sad 4
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, SMama said:

I thought JB and M were in Mexico or Central America when Josie had the seizure. 

That was a different time when Josie was a baby or a year old. She stopped breathing. Jana called 911. When asked why they left their premie in the hands of teenagers they claimed they were called for an emergency dealing with adoption. 

• Mind Blown 4
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 4
4 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That was a different time when Josie was a baby or a year old. She stopped breathing. Jana called 911. When asked why they left their premie in the hands of teenagers they claimed they were called for an emergency dealing with adoption. 

How those two could help anyone with an adoption?

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, SMama said:

Yeah. Sounds like BS to me. But then, I believe there have been plenty of shenanigans involved with adoptions of infants from some Central and South American countries. Maybe some sweet friends of the Duggars hit a snag - or were about to be busted - and JB rode to the rescue. Or it could have been something as simple as the parents needed someone to go to the country in question because something had happened to prevent them from going themselves. It wouldn't surprise me if JB were involved up to his eyebrows in anything sketchy, although of course I have no idea if that was the case in that situation.

And, I wasn't paying close attention to the Duggars at the time of that event, and now I'm kinda gobsmacked that MoTY Michelle would leave her precious miracle baby, her fragile preemie, with her kids and MIL, and flit off to Danger America. OTOH, if Josie was weaned, she was no longer Michelle's "buddy," so that was just the Duggar Family system in practice.

Assholes.

[About shenanigans, for example, adoptions of babies from Guatemala surged for awhile beginning in the mid to late 90's. Then several years later, that pipeline was shut down after significant corruption was discovered.]

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 6
2 hours ago, SMama said:

In the world according to Bill Gothard, the only way they should “help” was by talking the prospective parents into forgetting the whole thing. IBLP is against adoption because the child would be carrying the “sins” of the biological parents. Some of the married Duggar kids would occasionally mention the possibility of adopting (mainly to get attention), but they’d never go through with it. 

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

Oh my, that video.  My thoughts:

• As stated above, the music during the mud wrestling scene was genius.  The closeup of TFDW staring into the felon's eyes made me realize that you can laugh, cringe, and want to throw up all at the same time.  Talk about multitasking.
  • Poor Grandpa.  In addition to all the indignities everyone has called out, it looked like JB was shining that bright light he was holding right in Grandpa's face.
  • MEchelle is a lying liar who lies.  During the scene with poor Jason in the orchestra pit, she had originally claimed in an interview that no one was filming, they were just using their phone flashlights.  However, in the TH around the scene she clearly says that several people were using their phones to record the whole thing.  Poor Jason.
  • Finally, Josie's seizure.  Jana was totally freaked out.  I'm glad Scott Enlow was there because she needed someone to help her calm down.  It was horrifying seeing Josie lying limp being carried to the ambulance.  Any other parent would not have described that as a glitch.
  • Like 9
  • Sad 3
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 4
18 hours ago, SMama said:

It was just a lie they made up because they were getting grief for leaving their fragile premie in the hands of teenagers and left the country. 

• Like 15

I seem to recall that when Josie was still in the hospital in Little Rock, JB and M went home to Tontitown because a convenience store had applied to be allowed to sell beer. That’s a 3-4-hour drive. Josie was in good hands, of course, but I don’t think I would have gone so far out of town and away from my critically ill newborn to speak out about a business wanting to sell beer…

I may not remember that right, but I live in LR and I think I remember some local journalists being snarky about it.

• Like 13
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 3