Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

55 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I wonder if they're also doing the SOS missioncation this year as well? What with Derelict seemingly getting the boot and all...

That will be really interesting to see! Is it usually in December?

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Marigold said:

What a bizarre trip.

Very expensive and does anyone give a shit about them in Australia? 

I think that may be what the Gothard "brain trust" is counting on.

I'm sure they're all dying to goose their former golden-goose enterprise back to life -- both for financial reasons and because at least a handful of them may actually still be true believers in Gothard's shit.

But they probably also figure they need new blood abroad to do it. Gothardism is an old thing in the US and really got most of its momentum from Gothard's linking up to the growing fundie movement and the anti-60s backlash that occurred in the 70s and the 80s. So maybe they figure cleaning up the Duggars and trotting out this "wholesome" family -- replete with a bunch of cute young grade-schoolers --before an audience for which the Duggars aren't so much old news is their shot.

They can bring back the frumpers for the lost girls and put the bow ties and plaid shirts on the howlers and point to JB and M's great godliness -- "And, get this, Aussies! They're not just super-virtuous and godly but they're also big TeeVee Stars back in the States! Wowie, zowie! That's what embracing Gothardism can get you! Sign up now!".................

And to make that work, they'd have to be addressing people who don't know anything about the Duggars. They'd have to count on a lack of knowledge, I think. ....

I expect the whole thing will be a big failure because while the Duggs may be able to gin up a diehard internet fanbase of a million or so leghumpers in a country with pop. 330 million that third-of-one-percent tally isn't going to amount to much in a pop. around 25 million or so, even if they could achieve it, which I doubt. And even in the U.S. the vast majority of that fanbase aren't putting any money into Gothardland, which is what they really want. And the news of Joshley and the coverup is available worldwide, to at least some degree. 

Nevertheless, I would bet fairly heavily on something like this being the plan. Because there's no way in hell that JB is paying for all those expensive tickets just for family travel. The Duggars don't give a shit about travel. They're uninterested in everything. Whereas Gothardland has to be in some kind of desperation mode now, as they watch their cash cow getting very thin. It wouldn't surprise me that they might make some big stupid investments of their remaining money to try to reinflate it. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
25 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I think that may be what the Gothard "brain trust" is counting on.

I'm sure they're all dying to goose their former golden-goose enterprise back to life -- both for financial reasons and because at least a handful of them may actually still be true believers in Gothard's shit.

But they probably also figure they need new blood abroad to do it. Gothardism is an old thing in the US and really got most of its momentum from Gothard's linking up to the growing fundie movement and the anti-60s backlash that occurred in the 70s and the 80s. So maybe they figure cleaning up the Duggars and trotting out this "wholesome" family -- replete with a bunch of cute young grade-schoolers --before an audience for which the Duggars aren't so much old news is their shot.

They can bring back the frumpers for the lost girls and put the bow ties and plaid shirts on the howlers and point to JB and M's great godliness -- "And, get this, Aussies! They're not just super-virtuous and godly but they're also big TeeVee Stars back in the States! Wowie, zowie! That's what embracing Gothardism can get you! Sign up now!".................

And to make that work, they'd have to be addressing people who don't know anything about the Duggars. They'd have to count on a lack of knowledge, I think. ....

I expect the whole thing will be a big failure because while the Duggs may be able to gin up a diehard internet fanbase of a million or so leghumpers in a country with pop. 330 million that third-of-one-percent tally isn't going to amount to much in a pop. around 25 million or so, even if they could achieve it, which I doubt. And even in the U.S. the vast majority of that fanbase aren't putting any money into Gothardland, which is what they really want. And the news of Joshley and the coverup is available worldwide, to at least some degree. 

Nevertheless, I would bet fairly heavily on something like this being the plan. Because there's no way in hell that JB is paying for all those expensive tickets just for family travel. The Duggars don't give a shit about travel. They're uninterested in everything. Whereas Gothardland has to be in some kind of desperation mode now, as they watch their cash cow getting very thin. It wouldn't surprise me that they might make some big stupid investments of their remaining money to try to reinflate it. 

@Kokapetl posted up thread that Gothard headquarters in Australia was just sold, so the interest there must already have been waning. Are the Duggars going in order to rev up the interest? I think it's going to be a colossal flop. There are Australian posters on this site, and I'm sure the people there are well aware of the scandals and  what phonies these "Godly"people are.

And you are so right @Churchhoney. This family has traveled to places some people can only dream about, but show no interest whatsoever in their surroundings.  Their ignorance is astounding. They could have used their travel opportunities to teach the children about different lands,people and customs, and use these lessons in their home-schooling. But we saw none of that. We saw them handing out tracts and JB telling the world about his 19 children. 

I hope this is the beginning of the end for the Gothard movement, but even if it is, I don't see the Duggars breaking away. They are too deep in the Kool-Aid. Maybe there will be hope for the little ones. One can only dream.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

It's a lot of people and a lot of money -- I would thing $20,000+ for 16 people -- you know JB isn't paying that. Gothard must be paying.

Absolutely. And it's probably more than that.

Just the LA-Australia leg of the flights will be closing in on 2000 per person. Plus, they have to get from Arkansas to California, which is going to be another 300 or so probably. Whoever is paying will be lucky if the airfare alone doesn't top $35,000, I would think.

I suppose they'll be putting them up in whatever new smaller replacement facility IBLP Australia now has, and they can feed them slop because that's all they eat, so that part of the thing won't be so expensive. But the airfare is a substantial cost. .....

And Gothard has already thrown the Bateses at Australia a couple of years ago and then treated them to the Wallers last year? I see the Duggars as IBLP really bringing out the big guns. But there seems to be little indication that it'll really help. Gothardland looks desperate to me. Desperate and now throwing away all their cash in their desperation. 

Yay! 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Yep. As I thought. Here's the big Oz announcement: Duggars Down Under!!!

https://iblp.org.au/

They're going to "share insights" and "fellowship" at the family conference. No way JB is paying for any of this. No way he has any insights, either. 

https://iblp.org.au/event/duggars-down-under/

"Come and meet some of the Duggar Family (16 of them) as they join us Down Under. Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar, along with 14 of their children, will be sharing some of their insights into family life and homeschooling. The time of sharing will be followed by an afternoon tea for all to enjoy, while spending time fellowshipping  with the Duggars and other families."

• Love 2

OK, I sound like a 13 year old, but "Duggars Down Under" sounds dirty.  ;) 

I'll check myself into the prayer closet.  Sadly it's a little too early in my time zone for adult beverages.

• Love 11
40 minutes ago, Mollie said:

"Come and meet some of the Duggar Family (16 of them) as they join us Down Under. Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar, along with 14 of their children, will be sharing some of their insights into family life and homeschooling. The time of sharing will be followed by an afternoon tea for all to enjoy, while spending time fellowshipping  with the Duggars and other families."

I wonder to what degree the Aussie IBLPers follow the whole Gothard program. I haven't looked very carefully but in a quick scan I didn't see any particular reference on the Australian website to the Wisdumb-Booklet aspects of this, the ATI stuff. Looked as if it was focused on the behavioral stuff instead, the "basic life principles to stop your children from becoming their own people" parts. 

So, for example -- how many really want to hear insights about homeschooling that simply doesn't allow for the possibility that a kid could go on to college -- or tech school -- or anything, including working for people who aren't the kid's blood relations......

I'd be kind of surprised if many of them even know that that's the actual Gothard ideal. And if they don't, I'd think they might be kind of surprised by the "homeschooling insights" the Dummars "provide" -- and not in a "good surprise" way, either. 

Probably wishful thinking on my part, though, I suppose. The Duggs will probably be the toast of Melbourne before it's all over.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Duggars Down Under sent my mind there as well. Pity none of the married males in the family will ever go there to try to please their wives.

Hand me the extra strength brain bleach please before my brain turns to mush. Must try to get image out of my mind. Double, triple eeewwwww!!!

I think they went from Jessa checking tests online to Tabby Paine doing something, to Mrs. Hannah, who works in some capacity with the kids now. 

Mechelle hasn't "taught" her own kids, even the Wisdumb Booklets, in years.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Mollie said:

I’m sure Jackson and Josie will provide the audience with lots of insight. 

• Love 12
1 minute ago, Kokapetl said:

I’m sure Jackson and Josie will provide the audience with lots of insight. 

I suppose Jackson will at least leave them wondering, as they scroll through their phones afterward, how he managed to insert himself into every single picture. 

• Love 16
6 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Yep. As I thought. Here's the big Oz announcement: Duggars Down Under!!!

https://iblp.org.au/

They're going to "share insights" and "fellowship" at the family conference. No way JB is paying for any of this. No way he has any insights, either. 

For FOUR HOURS of "insights" ATI/GothardLand is willing to fly 14 Duggars to Australia?? Maybe the REAL secret of the Duggars is how *they* have gotten the Gothardite HQ to drink *their* Kool-Aid and fly them around the world!

• Love 18
32 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I suppose Jackson will at least leave them wondering, as they scroll through their phones afterward, how he managed to insert himself into every single picture. 

Then frantically look online to see how old he and Josie are.

• Love 8

Good Lord, those flights must cost a fortune. 

They probably have to fly from Arkansas to Dallas to LA to Australia. Multiply that by 16 and you probably could've sent a kid to college for what that trip cost. 

Who's dumb enough to foot the bill for these yahoos? 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Kokapetl said:

I’m Australian. Should I try and go see them?

Well Australia is a big country, but, if I could get a glimpse of them with little effort and no $$ expended I would give it a go!!  Just because.

• Love 8
32 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Well Australia is a big country, but, if I could get a glimpse of them with little effort and no $$ expended I would give it a go!!  Just because.

I’m in Perth, so it’s a 3h 30m 2721km flight. $400 return economy. I hate economy though. gofundme the $3000 for business class. 

And I guess I gotta get a haircut and buy some khakis. And car rental. And lace front wig and fake beard. I don’t want to be recognizable in photos. 

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 23
29 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Jim Boob will ask for iced tea, no doubt.

How could they possibly have 40 minutes of material, let alone 4 hour’s to keep an audience engaged, errr captive?

TLC strategy, repeat, review, repeat what they've reviewed, go down memory lane, repeat.

giphy.gif

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

I’m in Perth, so it’s a 3h 30m 2721km flight. $400 return economy. I hate economy though. gofundme the $3000 for business class. 

And I guess I gotta get a haircut and buy some khakis. And car rental. And lace front wig and fake beard. I don’t want to be recognizable in photos. 

Koka go as a female. Easy-peasy: jean skirt, flip-flops, modest shirt and long haired wig. Just look shyly at your toes and no one will figure you out. Take lots of pictures for us!

Get Jana's phone number!

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Koka go as a female. Easy-peasy: jean skirt, flip-flops, modest shirt and long haired wig. Just look shyly at your toes and no one will figure you out. Take lots of pictures for us!

Get Jana's phone number!

I’m 6’3”. That might arouse suspicion. 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I took it as a lecture and screechy violins followed by a meet and greet with tea. I'm sure books will be sold and signed. 

I read this as ...a lecture and screechy virgins.

Edited by crazycatlady58
  • Love 16
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Good Lord, those flights must cost a fortune. 

They probably have to fly from Arkansas to Dallas to LA to Australia. Multiply that by 16 and you probably could've sent a kid to college for what that trip cost. 

Who's dumb enough to foot the bill for these yahoos? 

Oh please Lord, let it not be TLC!

I can see it now, a 'very special' 2 hr episode not to be missed  - "Duggars Down Under".

Akkkkk

• Love 4
1 hour ago, lulu69 said:

Oh please Lord, let it not be TLC!

I can see it now, a 'very special' 2 hr episode not to be missed  - "Duggars Down Under".

Akkkkk

I can't imagine that TLC would do it. Not after all these years of totally hiding the Gothard connection. I doubt that the Duggs will be in Oz for much longer than the conference. So if TLC wanted to film them they'd have to film that. And they're not going to reveal a cult connection. not after hiding it all this time. They know Americans in general don't like cults any better than anybody else does. And since they've already done an Australia show with the Vuolos, I don't see why they'd do another one. Especially since the only "very special" aspect of this trip would be the IBLP conference, which they absolutely will not show. .... Well, except for about six Duggars falling over of heat stroke all at the same time that is, as @Gweilo mentioned ... That could be "very special" all right. If it were the right Duggars. I cringe to think of the young girls and their damn leggings under long skirts and their double shirting. 

I'm sure IBLP is paying for it. They've been pushing hard on Australia for awhile because they have at least a foothold there, unlike most other places. They sent the Bates down and so on. The Duggars are just more of the push, I would think. They might be expected to be a bigger draw. And to have 12 of the kids there for a fundie audience, including both sweet little girls and mid-20-somethings who are still obediently doing family chores for their parents -- I'm sure they hope that that will be very enticing to Australia's more control-mad parents. 

• Love 8
23 hours ago, Marigold said:

What a bizarre trip.

Very expensive and does anyone give a shit about them in Australia? 

In one word: No. 

We've got enough weirdos without bringing the Duggars here.  

It's not just that event, they are also speaking at the Annual Family Conference which starts the day after (14-17 Jan) and the Student Conference (18-19 Jan).  The conference paper says that "Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar" are the keynote speakers for both.  It's not cheap either, ATI Families are free but Associate Families are $130, Guest Families are $200 and Individual Guests are $90.  

The description for Jim Bob and Michelle is nauseating. 

"Raising 19 children is a big challenge; raising them for over 10 years while on reality TV is an even greater challenge.  Trusting in the Lord for their family is something that Jim Bob and Michelle have definitely experienced, both privately and publicly. The Duggars humbly share their joys and trials, desiring to minister to other families who desire God's best, even when their lives take unexpected turns.  Jim Bob and Michelle's message is still the same: trust in the Lord"

Out of the 4 keynote speakers, only 1 is actually from Australia.  The others are from Texas and Illinois (Joe Norvell and Robert Bath if those names mean anything). Apparently last year they had 220 people attend across both conferences.  All things considered, that is pretty tiny.  We get more people to our end-of-season soccer club event. 

Plus they have some serious competition with the 15,000 nutty Brethren who go even further than the Duggars.  The Brethren shut themselves off completely from the world with no TVs, radios and computers only allowed for business purposes and cannot be used to access the internet.  All media is sinful and the only news is from approved channels.  Children can only attend Brethren schools and cannot go onto higher education.  They will not accept food or drink which is not prepared and served by a fellow Brethren and will not vote.  Most recently, they were hauled up in front of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse which revealed a pervasive culture of child abuse and cover ups (http://www.smh.com.au/good-weekend/tony-mccorkell-reveals-secrets-of-the-wealthy-christian-sect-exclusive-brethren-20160429-goi6lc.html

If ATI are trying to lockdown the patriarchal, extreme purity and withdrawal from worldly influences market, they'll have to do a lot better than some washed up reality TV stars whose show is only on a barely watched pay TV channel. It might draw in the existing believers but it won't get anyone else. On the plus side, they'll get to add an extra 16 people to their attendance!  That is, if they don't drop of heatstroke because it's predicted to be another hot 40+ degree summer. 

• Love 17
7 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

I’m afraid you’ll look too sane and they’ll see right through you. Do you know anyone who could lend you four or five toddlers to add to your air of Gothard-loving authenticity? Just make sure they’re dressed appropriately in prairie dresses or polo shirts buttoned all the way up to the top. 

• Love 11
11 hours ago, Mollie said:

will be sharing some of their insights into family life and homeschooling.

9 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Seriously????

Well .... someone has to inform Australians about how essential it is to build separate wings in their houses for their boys and girls with the parents' room in the middle to serve as a barrier to prevent any little perverts they might be harboring from creeping around at night. Not everyone knows that.  

• Love 20

I can't see TLC filming for many reasons. The most likely way I could see this footage making it to TLC is if somebody found someone to court and started courting. Even then most likely JB or Michelle or one of the kids would film it and sell to TLC. But on the other hand they would to be sure this courtship was going to pan out.

I have never heard of the other speakers. Since they live in faraway states, it's probable the Duggars don't know 'em either. One of them (Texas) is a young associate pastor and I was able to google his church. I notice his church's website doesn't mention Gothard or IBLP for that matter. Is this normal? 

One more weird thing usually your biggest speaker/s goes last at conference, but it appears the Duggars go first. 

• Love 3