Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

Wow, I'm actually kind of impressed with Bin. Even mentioning something on social media that doesn't stick to the Duggars' finally tuned script is a HUGE step in the right direction. 

In fairness to the family though, I've never seen any behavior from them that indicates they're racist. The anti-Kaepernick tweet came from Cathy, not Michelle or Boob. I'll give the Duggars the benefit of the doubt on this one.

• Love 5

Bin is the most interesting 'Duggar'. We need more (planted) leaks of him going to concerts with people and doing more mainstream things. TLC must be thinking, phew, at least one of the marrieds added some texture to the show.

The show has flat-lined. A really good progressive spouse with a super crazy fundy foil could save the show. So add Marjorie and Nurie TLC.

Babe seemed exciting at first, but he's just another JB famewhore beta. So far

• Love 4

I'm thrilled for a Duggar or Duggar relative to be against racism and racial discrimination and acknowledge it's existence and it's immorality, however I see little hope of even one of them ever being against sexism, sexual discrimination or acknowledging the immorality of that. In their view it was God who set up sexual discrimination and so it's here to stay - along with anti-gay views.  

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I've seen several articles saying much the same.  If ONLY they really did threaten to spill the frijoles. 

Won't happen until the TLC monetary stream dries up. And even then, the pull of the cult and Bob's blackmail will be hard to resist.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Won't happen until the TLC monetary stream dries up. And even then, the pull of the cult and Bob's blackmail will be hard to resist.

Free housing, free vehicles. If they would think about it,  those kids earned all of that. They should not have to live under Boob's rules to benefit from what they have earned from their appearances on the show. They would lose the free babysitting, but lost girls deserve a better life than raising someone else's kids. TLC has imprisoned them. It is so hard on the outside: they have never learned to face controversy, deadlines, complete difficult tasks, or make decisions.

• Love 13
7 hours ago, sometimesy said:

Free housing, free vehicles. If they would think about it,  those kids earned all of that. They should not have to live under Boob's rules to benefit from what they have earned from their appearances on the show. They would lose the free babysitting, but lost girls deserve a better life than raising someone else's kids. TLC has imprisoned them. It is so hard on the outside: they have never learned to face controversy, deadlines, complete difficult tasks, or make decisions.

Yeah the kids earned that money, not the parents. No one was watching for the parents even in the beginning of the show when it was called 14 Kids and Counting.

• Love 2

I wish it were the money that kept the kids in line, but I really think that's just a tiny part of it. The kidults would have a lot of power if they wanted to use it...the fact that they don't tells me that the emotional ties to their parents is too strong and they'll forever be stuck.

Or maybe they do wield that power sometimes. Maybe Ben and Babe are the result of Jessa and Jinger saying to Jim Bob and Michelle, "don't fight me on this or you'll have a PR nightmare that makes your handling of Josh look understandable." (Although if that's the case I'd have to be on JB's side on that one.)  A Duggar kid telling the press they were kicked out of the Duggar fold for who they wanted to marry would be the final nail in the TLC coffin. You can't claim wholesome, loving family when you disown your child.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Does Ben believe prayer will solve racism?  "...Seewald blamed racism and violence on the Devil and evolution."

Well, I expect he believes that if everybody converts to the true religion, then that will end racism because it'll make the world Christ's kingdom (eventually). .... That leaves him having to explain why so many people that he probably accepts as already having embraced the true religion are pretty racist, though. lol

Ah, Bin, you're questioning and treading on ground that may lead you to question even more deeply one day. I like it, Bin. Keep it up. He's not the brightest bulb on the tree, but he's definitely got a more active brain (and heart, I suspect) than the rest of his new clan.

• Love 14
20 hours ago, Defrauder said:

I'm thrilled for a Duggar or Duggar relative to be against racism and racial discrimination and acknowledge it's existence and it's immorality, however I see little hope of even one of them ever being against sexism, sexual discrimination or acknowledging the immorality of that. In their view it was God who set up sexual discrimination and so it's here to stay - along with anti-gay views.  

I wouldn't despair of it. If you change, you start somewhere. You generally don't change all your views at once. I mean, a lot of Bin's co-religionists believe that God set up racial boundaries and discrimination as well. And he may move on to wondering about that. And from there, he could move on to other questioning, too. Bin mixes with people, and likes people. That too could one day open him up to thinking that anti-gay views don't make sense. And so on. Once you open that door a crack, it can keep opening (won't necessarily, of course, but CAN). That's why Dim Bulb is so eager to keep all doors closed, of course.

• Love 19

I'm surprised if the Duggar adult children are really against filming. I wouldn't expect them to have the idea that their parents exploited them and their childhood. I would hope they would rebel against their parents and their rigid rules. Rules their parents didn't have to live by, so that makes them hypocrites. That was what I would hope. Their own tv show would come in very handy when you don't have a job or education and have no plans to use contraception. Otherwise, how will they live and pay their bills?

Now if only the Gosselin children would revolt! (I believe they will someday).

On 9/26/2016 at 2:08 PM, lascuba said:

He believes racism was caused by belief in evolution. I'm not giving him any credit for being "progressive."

This doesn't even make sense as an opinion. Racism didn't exist before Charles Darwin lived? Super conservative Christians who don't believe in evolution are never racist? Come on, Ben. 

• Love 10
On 9/27/2016 at 7:45 AM, Churchhoney said:

Well, I expect he believes that if everybody converts to the true religion, then that will end racism because it'll make the world Christ's kingdom (eventually). .... That leaves him having to explain why so many people that he probably accepts as already having embraced the true religion are pretty racist, though. lol

Ah, Bin, you're questioning and treading on ground that may lead you to question even more deeply one day. I like it, Bin. Keep it up. He's not the brightest bulb on the tree, but he's definitely got a more active brain (and heart, I suspect) than the rest of his new clan.

I like that he is questioning also.  But it must have been that liberal schooling.  HA!  

I am pretty hard on the Duggars and their slovenly ways (including the Bin's) but IF one of the kids give their creepy parents the 1 fingered salute and splits the compound to start a more mainstream life I would watch.  I might even tell my headship about it.  Duggars do Burning Man!  Jing and Jer at Coachella!  Joy and Josiah take on West Hollywood!  

I would like to think the kids are purposely making this show boring as all get out so its canceled but sadly I think this is their true existence.  Here is a secret Duggar kids, you ARE allowed to leave once you are 18 and no one can stop you.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

I would like to think the kids are purposely making this show boring as all get out so its canceled but sadly I think this is their true existence.  Here is a secret Duggar kids, you ARE allowed to leave once you are 18 and no one can stop you.

But then they would have to, you know, WORK.

• Love 8

But then they would have to, you know, WORK. says Love2dance

Well there is that.  According to them they have some pretty sick skills such as concert pianist, grand poobah of heavy machinery, house reconstruction, nanny, car detailer, and teacher/professor.  Oh yeah!  Duggar Productions.  They are set!  Set I tell you!

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Bitter Betty said:

This doesn't even make sense as an opinion. Racism didn't exist before Charles Darwin lived? Super conservative Christians who don't believe in evolution are never racist? Come on, Ben. 

It is nuts, but Bin didn't make it up. It's a big argument made in lots of creationist circles and by pretty much all the top creationist names, as far as I know. Bin's really just a parrot for a lot of nutty people. And often, frighteningly, fairly educated people. Who make up all sorts of arguments that they present as reasons for their faith beliefs. Bin's just the guy who gets it on popular television.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2

I'm posting from my phone so I can't submit a link. On the 19kac Reddit there is a guy that went to a marriage retreat with Josh, Anna, JB, M, and Joy. It reads as reslistic. If you post questions or pm the poster he might still answer.

Josh  sounds  like he hadn't changed one bit. No surprise there.

Michelle thinks Joshua was under satanic attack. Shockingly she's also an attention whoring narcissist in person. Jim Bob is a douche. They're victims of everything, except their own shitty choices, of course.

Anna seems very sad, trapped, and beaten down. Sounds like she was crying. I have a modicum of sympathy for her since it sounds like the rest of her life will be a voluntary stay in hell.

Here is the general group: I think it's one of the top posts

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Why the hell was Joy on a marriage retreat? Pre programming?

I read through the posts and apparently the camp doesn't have a lot of paid employees. So the couples bring along their kids to "volunteer" and do the shit work. The fact that Boob and Michelle saw nothing wrong with bringing Joy, of all people, shows how disgusting and deluded they really are. 

• Love 7

The poster on Reddit mentioned a couple of times that Michelle made comments about the arrows Satan has been slinging at her poor, innocent family. Nothing shocking there. In fact, all of the comments he made pretty much confirms that, with the Duggars, what you see is what you get. I'd argue that, in Michelle's little analogy, Satan's arrows came in the form of the sick, twisted doctrine she used to somewhat raise her kids.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I have read through the posts now, too. That guy sounds like he needs to grab Anna and escape together. 

....except that he said that Anna was wearing jeans and a T-shirt. Wouldn't that be scandal enough??

Not sure I believe "him", or whoever it was. Could be good fan-fic.

• Love 3

Michelle is despicable, she is misdirecting responsibility onto Anna.

Anna can call her brother, deal with TLC for a new season of life (Jebus, if Amy can get a feature...). Get a decent divorce settlement, and if Boob tries to swing the fact that Josh makes no money/has no property.. go for the throat, expose everything. She has ammo and options that a lot of women don't.

Also, 'Smuggar' no longer distinguishes Josh from the rest of the Duggars.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, drafan said:

....except that he said that Anna was wearing jeans and a T-shirt. Wouldn't that be scandal enough??

I dunno, I'm inclined to believe him because he didn't make any outrageous or even surprising comments or accusations. Just pretty much confirmed what we already know: Boob and Xanaxia are insatiable famewhores, Anna is in a terrible situation, Josh is gross. One thing I will say is he doesn't seem to be a very effective headship since his wife apparently drags him to these fundie events that he isn't really into. 

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, drafan said:

I think you may have misunderstood.  He said Josh was wearing sloppy looking jeans and a t-shirt while Anna was looking good in full make-up.  He didn't say anything about Anna's clothes in particular but did mention that all of the women tended to wear long skirts.  

11 minutes ago, Aja said:

I dunno, I'm inclined to believe him because he didn't make any outrageous or even surprising comments or accusations. Just pretty much confirmed what we already know: Boob and Xanaxia are insatiable famewhores, Anna is in a terrible situation, Josh is gross. One thing I will say is he doesn't seem to be a very effective headship since his wife apparently drags him to these fundie events that he isn't really into. 

I actually feel pretty bad for the author, provided this isn't an elaborate piece of internet performance art.  When you read his reminiscence of his early life with his wife, who has since gone full fundie, it's remarkably sad.  But yes, his comments on Dolt and Doofus are pretty spot-on.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Aja said:

I dunno, I'm inclined to believe him because he didn't make any outrageous or even surprising comments or accusations. 

I agree. Plus a lot of what he said clears up some questions, for example, why several of the J'Slaves accompanied Boob and Michelle on the earlier retreats. Now we know the camp doesn't have housekeeping or serving staff, so parents drag their free labor along. God forbid Mom or Dad have to put their own sheets on the bed. That right there is textbook Fundie behavior. I also noticed that when someone asked if he interacted with Anna, he said no, rather than spin an elaborate tale. If the original poster isn't legit then he's quite adept at telling a believable story. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4

M & JB did attend a retreat this past weekend. Not sure if I believe the Reddit poster or not. Parts of it felt legit, parts of it read like a gossip article.

https://www.fortrock.org/events/2015/fall-marriage-retreat-september-30-october2-2016/

This year’s Fall Marriage Retreat we are blessed with having  Jim Bob & Michelle Duggar, as well as Evangelist Tom Harmon, share the Godly principals for keeping a vibrant, Christ-like marriage!

FAQ’s

Q. Can I Bring My Nursing Baby?

A. Yes! Children that are 18 months and younger are allowed at no additional cost. Please, no other children, we want you and your spouse to completely focus on the Lord and each other!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Aja said:

I went back and reread, and yes, I agree, this sounds pretty legit. Anna wasn't wearing jeans, which would've been a big red flag that this was made up. However, the reread forced me to the "Swapping Spit Strawberry Social", and it made me throw up in my mouth picturing JB and Mullet hey-hey-hey-ing through it. Josh, on the other hand, is probably a pro at it, but it was most likely Anna's first time.

Poor guy (the author)....what a horrible way to spend a weekend.

• Love 2

I'd ingratiate myself to them for the first day, earn their trust, then tear Josh, Michelle, and Jim Bob new piety-holes. They're so locked into their script they just *can't* change for anything. In ten years this will make a 'fun' cargo cult.

• Love 3

His admittance that he never interacted much with the Duggars, just observed them, makes the whole thing seem quite legit. If it was some guy trolling for attention I think there would've been far more stories about him having conversations with them or being best buds. He sounds pretty honest, poor guy (and that masturbation story had me in stitches).

The whole thing made me feel quite sorry for Anna; Boob and Michelle seem to have no respect or compassion for her at all. Her sister in-laws apparently treat her like Cinderella, letting her do all the dirty work in the house and now her parents-in-law basically ignore her existence in public. Yay for that Christian love and compassion!

And Josh seems to have lost his smartphone privileges again; according to this guy he's got his very own flip-phone of shame now. Since he was caught on camera with a smartphone a few months ago, I can't help but wonder if he abused it and got caught so daddy took the smartphone away.

This family is so dysfunctional.

Edited by Vaysh
  • Love 3

It is incomprehensible to me that a grown ass 28 year old man with a wife and 4 kids LETS his father take away his phone.  

Hello.  If I pay for my phone, nobody is going to dictate to me WHAT sort of phone I can have or confiscate it. I'm not a minor, and neither is Josh, and though he has behaved badly, he's still legally an adult. I think Boob gets a sadistic pleasure out of reminding Josh that he's only there because no one else will have him. It's a form of payback for disgracing the family, but Josh will pay on the installment plan for the rest of his life.

• Love 14
30 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

It is incomprehensible to me that a grown ass 28 year old man with a wife and 4 kids LETS his father take away his phone.  

Hello.  If I pay for my phone, nobody is going to dictate to me WHAT sort of phone I can have or confiscate it. I'm not a minor, and neither is Josh, and though he has behaved badly, he's still legally an adult. I think Boob gets a sadistic pleasure out of reminding Josh that he's only there because no one else will have him. It's a form of payback for disgracing the family, but Josh will pay on the installment plan for the rest of his life.

I would suspect that Josh is not paying for his own phone...thus Daddy can, indeed, dictate the terms. Or do we know otherwise? I know he had one (obviously) before Joshgate, but it would seem likely to me that whatever he has had since is likely doled out by Boob and subject to his whims.

• Love 7

Exactly, Arwen Evanstar!   No one is about to try to tell me what I can and cannot have, for fuck's sake!  I am a grown ass person and will own whatever the hell I choose to.  Alas, I actually ya know, work.... and ya know, pay my own bills and such..... 

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I would suspect that Josh is not paying for his own phone...thus Daddy can, indeed, dictate the terms. Or do we know otherwise? I know he had one (obviously) before Joshgate, but it would seem likely to me that whatever he has had since is likely doled out by Boob and subject to his whims.

But he can always sneak off to Walgreens for a Straight-Talk iPhone. He can hide it between his moobs.

• Love 11

Before marriage, Anna's father made Josh promise that Anna would monitor his internet use.  Not that promises are worth anything to these dingbats, but that would put Anna in control of his internet cell phone use, or lack thereof.  However I'm sure her word isn't worth squat, so yes, Boob is in control.