Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

I already said I liked Karen on The Office, but I am with you on Pam too. She wasn't perfect, but she got a lot of scrutiny that was not always deserved. I love/hated the scene in the finale when viewers slammed her for not being as romantic as Jim and being annoyed with him for the whole Athlead thing. At first I thought the show was making fun of viewers, but it seemed that we were kind of supposed to side with them.

And because I can't read this thread without reading it's sister thread, I have another one. I hate the way Britta Perry was treated in universe on Community, and I got the sense that many fans did not like her. I liked her in the first season, but hated how she became "the worst." Gillian Jacobs did a great job with goofy Britta, but I missed the smart, sardonic woman from season one who was believably flawed.

Edited by Janet Snakehole
  • Love 5

My UO is that I can't stand Mellie.  Never could.  Never will.  No she's not funny.  No she can't "get it girl!'  No I don't feel bad that her husband is cheating on her.  None of that.  The retcon does not stick with me.  I remember S1 Mellie very clearly. 

I actually would have appreciated her more if she had been allowed say something like 'Yeah you can sleep with her all you want, Enjoy.  But I am not divorcing you.  I like being married.  I liked the power.  I like being first lady.  Move her into the Lincoln bedroom and frolic all night if you want for all I care.  Just shut it with the divorce talk."  Mellie started out kinda like a baby Claire Underwood from House of Cards.  I wish SR had doubled down on that.   I would have liked that Mellie.

In my perception, S1 Mellie was more as you described.  She arranged for Olivia to show up at that gala because she knew Fitz needed to see her.  She didn't give a damn about Fitz and Olivia's affair - she got angry with Olivia for exiting and "allowing" Amanda Tanner into the mix.  That was the Mellie I appreciated because her ambition was more important than Fitz keeping it in his pants. Ah, well, what might have been.    

Yea, I'm pretty sure uf networks in the US tried this all the rest of the time would bd filled with crappy reality shows and other filler, since my opinion is there aren't that many good writers. Personally i would rather have filler episodes of a good show i like than year round Big Brother or The Apprentice.

I don't know much about UK television, but given the sheer amount of content available stateside, and the number of TV shows that end up on the chopping block every season, I have a hard time believing that a shorter standard season would result in an influx of more reality TV.  Agreed that there aren't many good writers, but to me, that's true no matter if it's 10, 13, or 22 episodes.  It's probably not good business, since the few governs the many, advertisers buying air time, etc.  But just from a viewer's perspective, I'd bet that a lot of talented writers and producers are never given a shot because the same old showrunners repeatedly get their productions greenlit. But American TV generally isn't about storytelling, it's a business.  And the band plays on...

I don't know much about UK television, but given the sheer amount of content available stateside, and the number of TV shows that end up on the chopping block every season, I have a hard time believing that a shorter standard season would result in an influx of more reality TV.  Agreed that there aren't many good writers, but to me, that's true no matter if it's 10, 13, or 22 episodes.  It's probably not good business, since the few governs the many, advertisers buying air time, etc.  But just from a viewer's perspective, I'd bet that a lot of talented writers and producers are never given a shot because the same old showrunners repeatedly get their productions greenlit. But American TV generally isn't about storytelling, it's a business.  And the band plays on...

In the UK they are able to fill spaces in their networks schedules with tv shows from the US.  So if a show only runs 8 weeks, the network can run episodes of Law and Order or Modern Family or whatever the other 44 weeks of the year.

Plus the UK seems to love their reality TV. It is the birthplace of the Idol shows, the X Factor and Survivor. Plus Big Brother is a way bigger deal over there.

As far as their not being enough good writers, if you halve the number of episodes, you double the number of shows you need, requiring twice as many writers/show runners to come up with twice as many good ideas as before.Considering the crappy shows that make it past the pilot phase now, I can't imagine how many more really bad shows there would be.

I have to admit, after a strong start, what Olivia Pope has become annoys the living crap out of me. She used to be a powerful woman with a ton of agency and a sense of ethics, even if they were compromised. Now she careens between the sway of her cold-blooded killer father, the two cold-blooded killers she's sleeping with and her best friend the cold-blooded killer and leads a happy band of cold-blooded killers who like to torture people. In her copious free time, she helps keep the people who stole the White House in office.

I wish that Scandal was a series about someone like Judy Smith the way it was supposed to be. I think it's kind of disgusting that Shonda Rhimes had that chance and threw it away.

While it's the worst when she's around Fitz, I pretty much agree with this. I understand all the reasons why having a minority woman that's pulling off tropes that have been held exclusively for Caucasians is a good thing, but annoying tropes are just that--annoying.
  • Love 4

My UO is that I can't stand Mellie. Never could. Never will. No she's not funny. No she can't "get it girl!' No I don't feel bad that her husband is cheating on her. None of that. The retcon does not stick with me. I remember S1 Mellie very clearly.

I actually would have appreciated her more if she had been allowed say something like 'Yeah you can sleep with her all you want, Enjoy. But I am not divorcing you. I like being married. I liked the power. I like being first lady. Move her into the Lincoln bedroom and frolic all night if you want for all I care. Just shut it with the divorce talk." Mellie started out kinda like a baby Claire Underwood from House of Cards. I wish SR had doubled down on that. I would have liked that Mellie.

I don't enjoy Mellie so much as what the actress brings to a very insufferable character...someone you can love to hate. Like you said, i wish she'd just own how much she loved power by proxy...after all, she went through the effort of having a whole child to handwave rumors about Fitz's affair.

Watching Bob's Burgers and it reminded me that I think they do tribute episodes better than any other TV show right now.  The Goldberg ones seem way too shtick-y to me.  (In fact, I much prefer the Goldberg episodes in which the time period is a part of the background as opposed to the main story.  Sometimes their story telling seems like pandering.  It's like they take an event like Al Capone's Vault and just write a story around which is not as effective for me as just telling a story within the context of shoulder pads and cassette tapes.  And the while I'm tangentially on the subject, the anachronisms in the timeline of the episodes don't really bother me but don't play fast and loose with historical facts.  The Berlin Wall did not come down in April, but I digress).  I prefer the way Bob's Burgers does it instead.  It starts out like a regular episode but then half way though you're like "Oooooh!  This is Dead Poet's Society!"  My favorite one of all time might be the My Name is Earl/Rudy one.  Again, I think because it wasn't totally obvious from the outset but by the end you either got it because you were familiar with the movie or you didn't.  Nothing was explicitly spelled out.

The Abby haters always whined about her eating up the show (which she really didn't, since there were several seasons where she had very little story), but I loved every second of it because Maura was the best actress on the show and deserved to be featured that much.

Yeah.  Objectively, I can understand why people would have grown tired of the character but Maura Tierney always brought it so I never minded (and enjoyed a lot of) the Abby stories.

Edited by kiddo82

I never hated Abby but I thought she was kind of a Debbie Downer.  I never remembered her smiling all that much and whenever she came on camera, my reaction was  "oh Lord, what now?"  She just didn't exude any kind of joy or happiness and I think that wore on people around her.

• Love 2

I've mentioned this before, but I was never crazy about Joan on Mad Men. I didn't feel an  episode was lacking if she didn't have a big role in it. I never liked how poorly she treated other women and looked to men to fix all her problems. It took 10+ years of leers, condescension, rape, abortions, indecent proposals, divorce, and crude jokes for her to get her consciousness raised.

I didn't mind too Joan too much at first, but then when she rather viciously cooed to Paul's black girlfriend "maybe one day you'll be able to pull up in a station wagon and shop at the supermarket as well as work there" I was like, Bitch Please!  It was rather poorly done of her and exposed her character as not the Righteous Woman-hero so many of her fans think of her but rather as a petty person who would use something as serious as racial in equality & dehumanizing Jim Crow laws  to score points on a romantic rival who didn't even know she was a rival.

• Love 5

I didn't mind too Joan too much at first, but then when she rather viciously cooed to Paul's black girlfriend "maybe one day you'll be able to pull up in a station wagon and shop at the supermarket as well as work there" I was like, Bitch Please!  It was rather poorly done of her and exposed her character as not the Righteous Woman-hero so many of her fans think of her but rather as a petty person who would use something as serious as racial in equality & dehumanizing Jim Crow laws  to score points on a romantic rival who didn't even know she was a rival.

I remember that encounter; never liked Joan after that.  I don't care that she hugged Dawn later on when MLK was murdered.  Joan was a Bitch.

Lana Lang from "Smallville".  I mean, the very first episode she brags about wearing some kind of jewel made from the very meteor that had killed her parents in front of her. Were we supposed to be impressed or feel sorry for her? I just thought that was creepy!

I actually   disliked her character so much that it was a significant contributing factor re my  quitting the show altogether before even the end of the First Season because I never could see how [or why] Clark was supposed to think she was 'all that' instead of just vaguely flirting with her before running off to Metropolis to pine over Lois Lane( as in the comics' storyline).

• Love 2

No, I think that was just spin.  I mean what was she supposed to say, "they kicked me off for Shaw?"  

After Carter was killed off, there was such an uproar on the Internet that TPH appeared on David Letterman's show but you could tell that it was a last minute thing, like CBS freaked out or something and they didn't want to look like a bunch of racists.  

Yep. TPH went on The Damage Control Tour after The Crossing aired.

Regarding TPH wanting to leave, Nolan was asked point blank if this was a case of her asking to leave and the answer was no. Also Nina Tassler said that when Nolan approached her about killing off Carter he said it was because he wanted his catwoman not because TPH wanted to leave.

From what I understand it was her decision to leave. Hell she moved up from a secondary position on a male dominated show to a virtual lead where she is the talked about character.

Yes TPH is much better off now than she would have been had she not been let go from PoI. However, Empire was no where in sight when she was told of her end of PoI. I have seen posts around the net saying she left PoI for Empire and that's not true.

Edited by GodsBeloved
  • Love 6

Yep. TPH went on The Damage Control Tour after The Crossing aired.

Regarding TPH wanting to leave, Nolan was asked point blank if this was a case of her asking to leave and the answer was no. Also Nina Tassler said that when Nolan approached her about killing off Carter he said it was because he wanted his catwoman not because TPH wanted to leave.

Yes TPH is much better off now than she would have been had she not been let go from PoI. However, Empire was no where in sight when she was told of her end of PoI I have seen posts around the net saying she left PoI for Empire and that's not true.

I think TPH was very gracious about being dumped off the show on behalf of Root, but it's surpassingly disingenuous to pretend that any middle-aged actress, much less an african-american middle-aged actress (Mo'Nique much?) could afford to be undiplomatic and inconvenience JJ Abrams, the Nolan brothers, CBS and Warner Brothers. She's been a bit more forthcoming since she found another job.

• Love 2

With all the talk of PoI, it just brings to mind that I absolutely hate Root. I am not sure if that is a UO.

It's a (very) UO with a subset of people who still watch the show, but when they published last year's Q scores, Sarah Shahi was tied for top five among the women and Amy Acker didn't make the top 50. Taraji Henson had already left the show and wasn't eligible for the list. Make of it what you will.

I think TPH was very gracious about being dumped off the show on behalf of Root, but it's surpassingly disingenuous to pretend that any middle-aged actress, much less an african-american middle-aged actress (Mo'Nique much?) could afford to be undiplomatic and inconvenience JJ Abrams, the Nolan brothers, CBS and Warner Brothers. She's been a bit more forthcoming since she found another job.

She was definitely very gracious and I don't fault her one bit. I'm just happy for her post PoI monster success.

Regarding ER, my UO is I liked Carter and Abby together. They had plenty of work to do in their relationship but I always thought it would have worked. I would have enjoyed seeing them struggle but ultimately make it.

• Love 2

She was definitely very gracious and I don't fault her one bit. I'm just happy for her post PoI monster success.

Regarding ER, my UO is I liked Carter and Abby together. They had plenty of work to do in their relationship but I always thought it would have worked. I would have enjoyed seeing them struggle but ultimately make it.

Oh, no, it's just that Henson being gracious is cited kind of a lot as evidence that she was totally on board with being let go from one of the most popular shows on TV, which I found questionable at the time.

I liked her interactions with Shaw. I thought Shaw had a kind of kid sister this is who I want to be when I grow up way of dealing with Carter that I found kind of touching.

• Love 3
The thing that always annoyed me the most was them losing Maria Bello after just one (and a bit) seasons. I really liked her character.

Ohmygosh I thought I was the only one. I loved Anna and Carter together. Then suddenly the fifth season started -- and she wasn't there, randomly shunted off to Philadelphia with no explanation. I really missed her and her arc always felt unfinished to me.

I'm glad there are so many others who were pissed when Carter was killed off PoI and stopped watching. Somehow Carter's is the TV death that upset me more than any other. I loved her, John and Finch working together. I watched the episode after she died and I just couldn't deal, and haven't watched the show since then. I love Taraji on Empire and it seems like she's having a ton of fun, but IMO Carter was the better-written, more unique character AND the better acting job. 

• Love 3

It's a (very) UO with a subset of people who still watch the show, but when they published last year's Q scores, Sarah Shahi was tied for top five among the women and Amy Acker didn't make the top 50. Taraji Henson had already left the show and wasn't eligible for the list. Make of it what you will.

I don't watch the show. My UO is POI was always highly overrated but I do like Amy Acker. I am a Joss Whedon fan so I recognize his regulars and at one point she was one so when she is on a show it at least gets a once over. When she first appeared I checked out the show and a few back episodes and then stopped again.

Edited by Chaos Theory

While it's the worst when she's around Fitz, I pretty much agree with this. I understand all the reasons why having a minority woman that's pulling off tropes that have been held exclusively for Caucasians is a good thing, but annoying tropes are just that--annoying.

I totally agree...but my UO is that I still think Fitz and Olivia look hot together (even though I don't watch Scandal anymore and don't like them as couple anyway). In fact, I've been looking around for that Entertainment Weekly cover where Kerry Washington's bare brown leg is (tastefully) draped over Tony Goldwyn's shoulder. And Mellie's in the picture too, grinning like crazy, which is a little weird, but okay.

• Love 1

Ohmygosh I thought I was the only one. I loved Anna and Carter together. Then suddenly the fifth season started -- and she wasn't there, randomly shunted off to Philadelphia with no explanation. I really missed her and her arc always felt unfinished to me.

Right? Their friendship was really nicely done, and you could feel the attraction but it never came across as forced or overdone. I'm sure they did plan for them to get together, but Maria Bello wanted to do movies. I was pretty crushed when I watched the season 5 premier, and it was revealed that Anna had left, and gone back to the druggie ex-boyfriend.

It seemed like they never really figured out what to do with Carter's love life, after that. A relationship with Julie Bowen, a brief flirtation with Lucy, and then all that awful melodrama with Abbie. Very disappointing.

• Love 1

My UO is that I'm not devastated that Derek Shepherd was killed off on Grey's Anatomy when Patrick Dempsey wanted to exit the show. I never cared for MerDer and watch for all the other characters. 

• Love 5

My UO is that I'm not devastated that Derek Shepherd was killed off on Grey's Anatomy when Patrick Dempsey wanted to exit the show. I never cared for MerDer and watch for all the other characters. 

You can sit by me because I was indifferent when Derek was shot by the grieving dad who shot up the hospital, and I was indifferent at his actual death.  I was glad when they weren't showing too much of them together, because I never bought their relationship.

• Love 2

We're 4 episodes into season 3 of Game of Thrones and my opinion is:  "meh".  The only story lines I care about are Dany's and Tyrion's and that's a couple less than what I started out interested in.  The others have gotten tedious and boring.  Even with the interest in the two characters, I wouldn't miss it if I had to stop watching it and would be quite comfortable with getting a summary of what happens next. 

Stay tuned....I suppose my opinion could change by this time in season 4. 

I got free HBO for three months this year so I got caught up on the seasons of Game of Thrones, which I had never seen before since I don't have HBO.  When the free subscription ended I didn't bother to sign up because I didn't miss the show at all.  I got bored.  

We're 4 episodes into season 3 of Game of Thrones and my opinion is:  "meh".  The only story lines I care about are Dany's and Tyrion's and that's a couple less than what I started out interested in.

These are clearly the only plots of relevance for the show imo.

• Love 1

Game of Thrones, count me as yet another "meh". I checked out at the end of season 3, but only bothered to finish the season by marathoning the last episodes. My UO would be that the relentless off-screen praise lavished on everything Tyrion turned me off his story too. I don't normally react like this to mainstream hysteria, but I was growing more and more bored and irritated with the show, yet almost everywhere I turned there was just gushing passion, especially for him.

• Love 1

My UO would be that the relentless off-screen praise lavished on everything Tyrion turned me off his story too. I don't normally react like this to mainstream hysteria, but I was growing more and more bored and irritated with the show, yet almost everywhere I turned there was just gushing passion, especially for him.

You know, I've never really heard any gushing about Tyrion. Everything I've heard or read by fans is about the show as a whole.  I like Tyrion (so far) because I like that the character is really a lot smarter than the others think he is and I am impressed with Peter Dinklage's performance.  He has such a big presence, that I can't help but look forward to his scenes. 

• Love 1

Game of Thrones, count me as yet another "meh". I checked out at the end of season 3, but only bothered to finish the season by marathoning the last episodes. My UO would be that the relentless off-screen praise lavished on everything Tyrion turned me off his story too. I don't normally react like this to mainstream hysteria, but I was growing more and more bored and irritated with the show, yet almost everywhere I turned there was just gushing passion, especially for him.

People like underdogs and Tyrion is everything that makes a good underdog character. I don't watch the show; it is too HBOy for me but from what I have seen Tyrion is one of the most consistently well done characters.

• Love 1

The one good thing about GOT is that if you're stupid or get full of yourself, you get killed. Tyrion is very much not stupid, and acts full of himself, but he really isn't. On the other hand, basically the rest of the people are, so there's a lot of killing. It can get to be overly much. 

• Love 1

I guess my UO for Game of Thrones would be that the top three favorite characters (aka the ones who get the most promotion) aren't in my list of favorites. I'm of course talking about Tyrion, Dany, and Jon Snow. That's not saying I don't like them - I do. But it really is a large cast of different characters, so my top favorites are some of the ones who don't get the focus, which is why it's always been disappointing to me that Tyrion in particular (even though Peter Dinklage does a great job) remains the "face" of the show. Especially because even though some characters are more important than others, it really is an ensemble show (Ned Stark dying proved that) but promotion-wise, you'd think Tyrion was 70% of the show. I'm not surprised, but again it is disappointing since despite any of the shows flaws, it has a talented cast that gets overlooked because of this. Also, I in no way blame PD for this. He's a great actor and deserves all the praise, but I'm tired of his character getting so much.

• Love 2

My Game of Thrones UO:

After watching the classic Twilight Zone episode "It's a Good Life", I wonder why everyone acts like Joffrey is the most evil, terrifying kid in TV history. Compared to God-like Anthony Fremont, Joffrey is kind of a wuss. Sure, he's a violent little sociopath, but at least you can kill him, or he'll eventually be brought down by age or illness*, but Little Anthony? How in the hell do you defeat someone who can read your thoughts, anticipate your every move, and can banish you from existence with just a glance? You can't! 

Yes, I know Joffrey was killed a season or two ago, but since he still looms large in people's minds, I opted to use the present tense.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 2

Maybe some people have a hard time seeing black women and WOC as something other than just "the help" or "poor girls from the ghetto" or "the sidekick."

Or maybe they just find certain characters annoying despite those characters being WOC.  I find Olivia Pope seriously ridiculous, and it has nothing to do with gender or race; the character is just too much, at least since the beginning of season 2.  But I feel the same way about Meredith Grey.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

I'm not sure how unpopular this is, but I did see a couple of comments stating an opinion opposite of this, so I'll throw it out there: I have no problem with a character who has a secret identity letting a few friends/family members in on the secret.  Not only do I like that they have a support group, I don't enjoy the many scenes of them having to lie to cover up who they are, where they were, what they were doing, etc. and the anxiety of them almost getting caught on a regular basis.  Provided those in the know can somehow help, I'm all for it.

• Love 2

I'm not sure how unpopular this is, but I did see a couple of comments stating an opinion opposite of this, so I'll throw it out there: I have no problem with a character who has a secret identity letting a few friends/family members in on the secret.  Not only do I like that they have a support group, I don't enjoy the many scenes of them having to lie to cover up who they are, where they were, what they were doing, etc. and the anxiety of them almost getting caught on a regular basis.  Provided those in the know can somehow help, I'm all for it.

This is one that I find completely dependent on execution.  The issue is that the secret identity can go on too long.  But if a show goes on long enough then everyone knows and they become a crime fighting team and ruin the show dynamic.  I generally find myself getting sick of the secrets in the early stages, happy at the awesomeness of the reveal, annoyed when the reveal is a fakeout, indifferent when the reveal sticks, and then nostalgic for the secret the later in the series once charming supporting character becomes a main part of the action.  So I just can't win most of the time.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 4

This is one that I find completely dependent on execution.  The issue is that the secret identity can go on too long.  But if a show goes on long enough then everyone knows and they become a crime fighting team and ruin the show dynamic.  I generally find myself getting sick of the secrets in the early stages, happy at the awesomeness of the reveal, annoyed when the reveal is a fakeout, indifferent when the reveal sticks, and then nostalgic for the secret the later in the series once charming supporting character becomes a main part of the action.  So I just can't win most of the time.

ITA. One of the many reasons I bailed on Chuck.

• Love 1

Great minds and all that.  I almost wrote Captain Awesomeness and the annoying part of the action was Morgan.  But honestly, to a greater or lesser degree Smallville, Arrow, the Flash, BTVS, etc. all follow this pattern.  iZombie is well on its way.  I can't think of one secret identity show that doesn't do this.  Its kind of inevitable..

• Love 1
I'm not sure how unpopular this is, but I did see a couple of comments stating an opinion opposite of this, so I'll throw it out there: I have no problem with a character who has a secret identity letting a few friends/family members in on the secret.

One of the reasons why Reaper was so good.

Also, I don't care that the guy from The League lied about 9/11. I'm fairly certain he's not the first nor the last. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2

Also, I don't care that the guy from The League lied about 9/11. I'm fairly certain he's not the first nor the last.

Most likely true but that shouldn't excuse it.  Lying about almost dying on 9/11 is up there on the list as one the most emotionally manipulating things you can do.  Even today, first responders and folks who survived are dealing with illness and the psychological trauma directly related to that day.  Are there far worse crimes against humanity?  Sure.  I said the same thing about the Brian Williams thing.  And it's not that I'm calling for his head or will protest Buffalo Wild Wings or anything like that.  However, it was still a very poor life decision on his part (down right douche-y) and I don't have a problem if people's immediate reaction is to bristle at the revelation. 

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 12

I loved seeing the group work together on Grimm trying to stop the Wesen of the week. However sometimes revealing a secret can backfire if the person isn't ready to hear it. When Sam told Andi his secret on Reaper she dumped him.

• Love 2

Great minds and all that.  I almost wrote Captain Awesomeness and the annoying part of the action was Morgan.  But honestly, to a greater or lesser degree Smallville, Arrow, the Flash, BTVS, etc. all follow this pattern.  iZombie is well on its way.  I can't think of one secret identity show that doesn't do this.  Its kind of inevitable..

Ugh, having Morgan in on the secret was bad enough, but I had to stop watching when they basically turned Morgan into Chuck. That was the worst.

I don't mind secret superhero identities as long as they are done well and make a least a little bit of sense. You wear a disguise, but it doesn't cover much if any of your face and anybody who's met you more than once should be able to recognize you? You're trying to keep your identity secret, but you're constantly revealing yourself to friends, family, and even random villains at the drop of a hat? You claim to be keeping your identity and even the existence of the threats you're fighting from friends and family "in order to keep them safe", but time and time again it's shown that their lack of knowledge is what endangers them? Everyone in your life knows your secret, including people you dislike or can endanger you, but you refuse to tell the person closest to you for "reasons" (really so the show can create dumb, manufactured drama)? No, I will not watch you.

• Love 5

This is one that I find completely dependent on execution.  The issue is that the secret identity can go on too long.  But if a show goes on long enough then everyone knows and they become a crime fighting team and ruin the show dynamic.  I generally find myself getting sick of the secrets in the early stages, happy at the awesomeness of the reveal, annoyed when the reveal is a fakeout, indifferent when the reveal sticks, and then nostalgic for the secret the later in the series once charming supporting character becomes a main part of the action.  So I just can't win most of the time.

Very good point.  I agree, the execution has a lot to do with it, but I'm one of those people who gives a show a lot of leeway when it comes to change and sticks with most of them through to the bitter end--including Chuck, which I enjoyed all the way through, but wasn't crazy about the Morgan as Chuck storyline.

Better Call Saul should win over Mad Men and bob Odenkirk should win over Jon Hamm at the Emmys.

I've never seen Mad Men, but just the reveal scene between Saul and his brother alone was enough for me to be convinced that Bob Odenkirk deserves an Emmy this year.

However, it was still a very poor life decision on his part (down right douche-y) and I don't have a problem if people's immediate reaction is to bristle at the revelation.

Yes, and he apologized for it. His comedy special probably won't air, so he's paid for it. He's was a jerk and if people don't want to watch the show or whatever fine. Headlining news, however, this is not. Way way way out of proportion. It's fake outrage to me because you don't have to do anything about it and you can be like, "this is wrong, I'm mad." And that's it. Sure, plenty of people are legit mad and offended. Donate money to the first responders who have health problems if you're so offended then. 

I wish people who get so outraged over some blowhard spouting garbage like this actually would channel it into something more constructive. Like voting out of office people who have done far far far more damage to society.

And I know, you can be mad about more than one thing blah blah blah. He's a stupid comedian who said a stupid thing. 

• Love 3

Yes, and he apologized for it. His comedy special probably won't air, so he's paid for it. He's was a jerk and if people don't want to watch the show or whatever fine. Headlining news, however, this is not. Way way way out of proportion. It's fake outrage to me because you don't have to do anything about it and you can be like, "this is wrong, I'm mad." And that's it. Sure, plenty of people are legit mad and offended. Donate money to the first responders who have health problems if you're so offended then. 

I don't disagree but I think, like most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. It's so easy nowadays to show outrage over social media, message boards, or what have you that things do tend to get overblown and do take on a life of their own. I also agree that there can be a culture of fake outrage and slactivism. However, just because this applies to a segment of the population, it doesn't mean that absolutely no offense has been committed. To bring this back to a television discussion, the term "Mary Sue" has become so over and misused it is now nothing more than a coded term for "I don't like this female character." This doesn't mean that the initial intent of the term is invalid nor does it mean that true Mary Sue's don't exist. We've just become desensitized due to the dilution of the term. The same thing can be said about social media outrage. Just because a subset of the vocal minority may over blow things, that doesn't mean that folks shouldn't read the story about Rannazzisi and say "Dude, that's not cool" before moving on with their lives.

• Love 1