Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

As an aside UO, The Crown is really, really dry.  I understand why it's so awards-y, and Lithgow was fantastic, but now I'm in season 2 and it's a chore. 

I agree.  I would watch two or three episodes and then have to give it a couple of weeks to go back.  The last one I watched was from Season 2 when they focused on how much Princess Margaret had wanted the crown her whole life.  That was a couple of months ago and I just haven't felt the urge to go back.  I'm thinking about making myself, though, because Princess Diana came into the picture when I was a young teenager and I was fascinated by her, so I'm more interested in the next season. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I love the first two seasons of The Crown, but it requires your full attention.  I can see where it comes off as dry if you are distracted.  So much of Claire Foy's acting is non-verbal and if you are not paying attention you miss it.  I watched the first two seasons in the dark with my phone out of my reach.  

That's fair.  It's definitely not a background show.

• Love 1

I typically only have time for one show per day, but I don't mind watching a season over a week. It's something to look forward to. Notable exceptions were Ozark because I just happened to have the free time, and Lucifer because I think I had a long weekend and finished up chores etc., in the first day. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, partofme said:

I used to think I didn't like binge watching, but since covid I've gotten really into it.  Also I think there are so many networks now that there really hasn't been one show that everyone watched in a long time.

I'd never binge-watched anything before Season 1 of Game of Thrones, which I blew through in less than a week.  (I got HBO for every season after that to watch it live.)  More recently, however, I've binge-watched an Australian drama series on dvd (but made myself stick to 2 episodes per night to make it last longer), and then moved on to a 20 year old Australian soap opera which has like 40+ episodes per season. If I didn't binge that, it'd take nearly a year to watch if I stuck to just one episode a day.  Plus, there are some thing on Amazon Prime which I need to see before I cancel my membership, so I'll definitely binge-watch them.

So I guess, for me, it depends on the show?

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Zella said:

Oh I forgot to add that I cannot binge procedurals. I die of boredom. LOL But I do love watching them on a week to week basis. 

Oh god. Ion has SVU marathons which my husband likes to have on as background noise, and there is only so much I can take!

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Oh god. Ion has SVU marathons which my husband likes to have on as background noise, and there is only so much I can take!

I can only binge SVU if the episodes are Munch-centric.  But, I will watch the hell out of the Mothership seasons with my favorite detective Lenny Briscoe.  Even then, I will tune out the Order part.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I can only binge SVU if the episodes are Munch-centric.  But, I will watch the hell out of the Mothership seasons with my favorite detective Lenny Briscoe.  Even then, I will tune out the Order part.

I do that during the McCoy years. With Sergeants Greevey and  Ceretta I could see myself tuning in for just the second half with ADAs Robinette and Stone 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I'd never binge-watched anything before Season 1 of Game of Thrones, which I blew through in less than a week.  (I got HBO for every season after that to watch it live.) 

One of the things that broke me from serious binges was watching all of GOT season 3 in a day with a friend. It was just way too much information (and horror) to process in a day, and I ended up at a Mexican restaurant afterward babbling incoherently. Pretty sure the servers thought I was insane. Which is sort of the same thing I did after my brain died after taking the GRE but it was a sandwich shop that I babbled incoherently in that time. LOL (I need to stop trying to eat in public places in those moments.) I rewatched GOT earlier this summer, and the 2 eps a night worked well. Wrapped up each season in less than a week and the whole show in a little over a month but not at a pace that overwhelmed me. 

9 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Munch's definitely the best part of SVU. I always hated Benson and Stabler. Like, I loathe them more than almost any other TV characters I've ever encountered. This has not stopped me from watching copious amounts of SVU reruns, but it astonishes me how awful they are at police work. Stabler constantly losing his shit and assaulting people always offended me, but I've never gotten over the episode where

Spoiler

they interfere with people in witness protection--after being warned that doing so jeopardized another agency's investigation--and they did it anyway and then got the witness killed. And then afterward they stood there dumbfounded while the other investigator who'd warned them just stared numbly at their dead witness. How do either of those dumbasses have badges? 

In any event, binging Stabler or Benson-centric episodes would probably cause my blood pressure to spike at dangerous levels. 

I really liked Barba, too, but thought the show ruined his character. I am neutral on Ice-T and mainly just think of John Mulaney's standup bit about him more than his actual presence on the show. 🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 9/5/2020 at 7:16 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Yes, but the fact that it's an ensemble now isn't new. To say 'it was never meant to be an ensemble' is not accurate.

We all have different tastes as to whether one companion is more enjoyable than an ensemble, which is fine. 

I don't think the problem is The Doctor having multiple companions, it's hack writers who cannot handle it.

On 9/15/2020 at 7:01 PM, Anduin said:

Award shows and awards in general. Yes, there needs to be a way to sort the wheat from the chaff. The good from the bad and the waste of time. But other than that, why the need for such competition? Why not just create things for people to enjoy? Why the need to say, yes, this is the funniest comedy show or most thrilling action show of the year? Why state so firmly which of these half-dozen actors is actually better than the others? It all feels pointless. Just enjoy and celebrate what's on offer.

My UO: Awards shows are B.S. and not worth the effort to watch. I believe Adam ruined them once on his show.

• Love 2

So I'm watching The Boys.  I think I like it overall but it does give me some mixed emotions.  Last night I watched Season 1, episode 4 with the plane hijacking.

Spoiler

I'm not familiar with the source material of The Boys, but the scene for me acted as a direct counter to Iron Man 3 when Tony saves everyone as Air Force One is going down.  I know that The Boys portrayal of such an event is probably more "realistic" to what might actually happen but I still get such a charge every time I watch that scene in Iron Man, no matter how far fetched.   It's fun. 

I like the idea of answering the question "What if people who had superpowers were, at best, dicks, and at worst, criminals?", and Karl Urban cracks me up, but I don't know if everything needs a "grim" or "realistic" counterpart.  Especially something that is already fantastical by nature.  This is why you don't invite your Debbie Downer friend to hang out all that often.

Edited by kiddo82

I'd never call The Boys grim or realistic. It's quite over the top and has a lot humor (black, that is). It's also surprisingly political (mostly in S2, though). I'd say they're walking a fine line between a straight up deconstruction and a fun-filled romp mocking modern society.

I also really love that they have a few relatable characters who aren't assholes. 

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

It wasn't until I watched The Haunting of Hill House that I finally understood why some people that loved anime hated Avatar the Last Air Bender. It's okay as a ghost story, but I often find the dialogue overwritten and too self serious.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

It wasn't until I watched The Haunting of Hill House that I finally understood why some people that loved anime hated Avatar the Last Air Bender. It's okay as a ghost story, but I often find the dialogue overwritten and too self serious.

The Netflix show?

On 9/27/2020 at 4:23 PM, Ubiquit0us said:

I don't think the problem is The Doctor having multiple companions, it's hack writers who cannot handle it.

My UO: Awards shows are B.S. and not worth the effort to watch. I believe Adam ruined them once on his show.

He did.  Just watched that video though he just really confirmed all the rumors about them which is that it's about money and gifts and many factors except what is really the best. 

I never watch the actual awards  shows myself.  I do pay attention to who wins and will tune in on the nominees and winners if I haven't seen the already. Especially with tv now and so many shows it's good to keep up with some you might misd

Edited by DrSpaceman73
2 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

yes. Same goes for the Haunting of Bly Manor.

Sounded like it. I haven't started Bly Manor yet, but I was really annoyed by how HoHH often just randomly took passages from the novel and stuck it in characters' mouths as dialogue, often in contexts that didn't make any sense but was meant to make it seem like the show had something important to say that it really didn't. I think that definitely added to it coming across that was. I can just imagine doing the same thing with Turn of the Screw with Bly Manor. 

• Love 3

So thanks to Stephen Colbert's interviews with the some of the cast of The West Wing last Friday, and discovered that I still can't stand Donna. She's ANNOYING AS ALL GET OUT. It's why I fast forward ALL her scenes, even if those scenes have characters I like/love, like Allison Janney's CJ.

Watching this show is like a quadruple-edged sword.

My heart skips a beat or two and tears well up when John Spencer is on my screen, knowing he's no longer with us.

And Dulé Hill looks like such a baby! Such a talent. Who knew Serious Charlie could become Burton "Gus" Guster, who would make me laugh till my tummy ached 7/8 years later on Psych!

But I just want to whack Donna with a hockey stick every time she opens her mouth.

Yes, I'm a meanie.

• Love 14

I was rewatching the West Wing but had to stop because the campaigning In the show is too much for me right now. Maybe I’ll pick it back up after the election.  I still hate Josh so very much. I’m also not pleased with how Toby was written in the final season. CJ is my favorite by far.

• Love 6

I enjoyed The West Wing when I first watched it several years ago. I got to season 3 and then ended up losing interest. Went back to do a rewatch a couple of years later and could barely make it through the first season. I hated Josh, and I also found Donna annoying. But, to be honest, I disliked Bartlett intensely. I didn't care how he tried to frame it, I thought him covering up his MS when it was causing him to have debilitating episodes was wrong, and I never could get past that. 

• Love 3

I'll preface this by saying that I'm really am enjoying Cobra Kai.  It's fun and nostalgic, the production quality is really good, and there are moments when William Zabka shows what a great actor he is.  God love him, he's doing his best with what they are giving him.  My UO is that it's not a well written show.  Johnny is a mere caricature, as a couple others, and the constant (seems like every 2 or 3 shows) misunderstandings between characters is getting ridiculous, as is the "Johnny and Daniel are finally coming to terms---oops, nope, spoke to soon"  issue, which happens with about the same frequency.  I'll start season three to see how it goes, because it's light, easy fare, but it could be much better.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 5
49 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I thought I was the only person who hated Donna.  I loved Sam and was very sad when he left.

I loved Sam, thought I’m not really a Rob Lowe fan. I don’t dislike him; I just don’t fawn over him. But Sam was a great character with a lot of potential. Josh Malina never filled the hole that he left.

If Donna had been my assistant, I would have fired her. I know they used her as an audience substitute to explain things, like why we loan money to other countries, why budget surpluses don’t get distributed, etc, but she was annoying. SO annoying. 

• Love 4

I liked Donna fine in the beginning, but when the show began shoving her down my throat without ever actually showing me any reason she was special compared to the other assistants, I quickly grew tired of her.  I had thankfully quit watching by the time she and Josh got together, because just the notion of it makes me want to gag.  First, when the show started flirting with it (and viewers started rooting for it), she was his assistant.  That kind of direct reporting relationship, especially with it being a male supervisor and a female subordinate and especially where his position is incredibly powerful and hers is incredibly not, is a big hell to the no for me as something appropriate to turn sexual.

But even though - at least I think this is how it played out - she no longer worked for him when they got involved, I still shudder at the notion; as I've said in the WW thread, they were this really odd situation in which each one was too good for the other.

• Love 7

Sam was my favorite character as well. And I didn't even particularly enjoy him in the first couple of episodes, but once they moved beyond the stupid hooker plot, I came to really appreciate his character. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I liked Donna fine in the beginning, but when the show began shoving her down my throat without ever actually showing me any reason she was special compared to the other assistants, I quickly grew tired of her.  I had thankfully quit watching by the time she and Josh got together, because just the notion of it makes me want to gag.  First, when the show started flirting with it (and viewers started rooting for it), she was his assistant.  That kind of direct reporting relationship, especially with it being a male supervisor and a female subordinate and especially where his position is incredibly powerful and hers is incredibly not, is a big hell to the no for me as something appropriate to turn sexual.

But even though - at least I think this is how it played out - she no longer worked for him when they got involved, I still shudder at the notion; as I've said in the WW thread, they were this really odd situation in which each one was too good for the other.

Their relationship is the thing that really dates the show.  Josh was incredibly condescending and misogynistic and the fact Donna never hauled his ass before HR makes this show seem like it's from another era.  And yeah, Donna's quirkiness wasn't endearing, it was annoying.

It's still the best show that was ever on tv though. 🙂

• Love 7

There was a lot of misogyny in TWW. The talk of "women's issues" and "women's groups" is often derogatory or dismissive. Josh is constantly making anti-women comments. The secretaries and assistants are all women. Bruno says things like, "I love it when the women get involved," and it's so dismissive.

Throughout the entire show, CJ is shown as being mostly level-headed and forward-thinking, interspersing that with pratfalls, while Josh and Toby routinely fuck things up and somehow it's still a big shock that she becomes Chief of Staff.

And YES, the Josh/Donna relationship is so, so dated, but it was awful back then too. Somehow, despite that, it remains a fantastic show. And I'm going over to TWW thread to make some more comments about that. 

• Love 11
On 10/13/2020 at 9:53 AM, BlackberryJam said:

There was a lot of misogyny in TWW. 

It was Aaron Sorkin so!

I just finished You're the Worst. It only took me 4 years lol. I loved seasons 1 & 2 and then just got bored with it so I stopped watching a few eps into season 3. I tried to watch it again a couple years ago but I just could not make it through. I finally slogged through it all this past month. And it was a slog. My biggest UO is that I could not stand Gretchen or the way Aya Cash played her. I realize she had a profound mental illness but she was also just a real shitty person so I could not empathize with her. I also pretty much never cared for the Gretchen/Jimmy relationship and initially I was coming back mainly for Edgar and Lindsey. By the end I didn't really care for any of them though. That being said, I did cry during the finale lol. I liked what it was saying (mostly) but I hated Jimmy/Gretchen by then so I kinda didn't want them to get that happy ending. Also, I feel really bad for their kid. Her life is gonna suck lol.

• Love 2
On 10/12/2020 at 11:55 PM, Crs97 said:

I thought I was the only person who hated Donna.  I loved Sam and was very sad when he left.

Yeah, I lost interest in the show after Sam left. For several reasons, some of which overlap -

Partly because I followed all the contract renewal drama and felt very disillusioned that the rest of the cast didn't back Rob Lowe but mainly because Sam was the optimistic heart of the show, in my opinion. He was the idealist relatively untouched by Washington cynicism, the one that they could all look to to say the right thing. Not the expedient thing, or the politically advantageous thing, but the right thing. Without him, everything just felt a bit dour and hopeless.

Another issue was that Sorkin let 9/11 colour the show so heavily. We went from discussions on mandatory minimums, electoral funding reform and the MS storyline to all those dimly lit Situation Room scenes and the fictional terrorist country who was suddenly the big bad guy. It was too caught up in the reality of Bush and Cheney and their determination to start the War on Terror.

What also put me off was that Zooey's kidnapping at the end of season four was, beat for beat, exactly what Bartlet laid out in Mr. Willis of Ohio as the thing he was terrified of happening. It felt so hacky and creatively bankrupt to actually do it.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

We went from discussions on mandatory minimums, electoral funding reform and the MS storyline 

What also put me off was that Zooey's kidnapping at the end of season four 

Sam leaving & these 2 storylines really hurt the show. I loved Sam & absolutely hated the MS & kidnapping plots. Also, Mandy just disappearing without anybody saying anything drove me crazy, & I have never found out what the reason IRL was for it.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 5

I like the "Scott's Tots" episode of The Office, because as bad as I feel for those kids I enjoyed seeing Michael suffering the consequences of his actions. Too many times he's been so frustratingly clueless about other people's feelings especially Pam's. I was just so glad to see him finally aware how much he screwed up. Any other person I would feel a little pity for in that situation, but seeing him squirming in agony in that classroom I thought nope, "You deserve this."

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 9
23 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I like the "Scott's Tots" episode of The Office, because as bad as I feel for those kids I enjoyed seeing Michael suffering the consequences of his actions. Too many times he's been so frustratingly clueless about other people's feelings especially Pam's. I was just so glad to see him finally aware how much he screwed up. Any other person I would feel a little pity for in that situation, but seeing him squirming in agony in that classroom I thought nope, "You deserve this."

And technically he made a "promise that they relied on."  They could have sued him into oblivion.  Michael just says stuff to get people to like him and throws the future (which in some cases is 5 minutes) to the wind.  And in that way, I do feel a little sorry for him, because you know nobody liked him as a kid, and probably due to no, or very little, fault of his own.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

And technically he made a "promise that they relied on."  They could have sued him into oblivion.  Michael just says stuff to get people to like him and throws the future (which in some cases is 5 minutes) to the wind.  And in that way, I do feel a little sorry for him, because you know nobody liked him as a kid, and probably due to no, or very little, fault of his own.

The part of the season 2 episode where we see old video of him as a kid saying he would want a "hundred kids" so he would have a "hundred friends so noone could say no" to being his friend is one of the saddest things but also the funniest because of the cat puppet's reaction!

• LOL 2

There's a lot that I hand wave away when watching television and seeing Hollywood's version or what they think they know about Indians; like the differences between Hindus, Muslims, and Panjabis--FROM 40 years ago or so. But not today. Hell, not even in the last 20.

I've vented my spleen about the inaccuracies on Law & Order in their respective threads, so I won't repeat myself here.

BUT.

I was looking for something to watch, and I avoided this show for reasons I can't recall, but I've spent the last two weeks watching Madam Secretary on Netflix and it's all I can do not to roll my eyes so HARD, lest they fall out of my head.

Pakistanis speak URDU, not "Arabic" or whatever language the token terrorists were muttering in some episode. Urdu is just a formal way of speaking Hindi. Like the difference between speaking formal/proper English as opposed to...normal English that we all speak. And yet they'll have other middle eastern countries speaking in Farsi. Or maybe it's just Netflix that doesn't know the difference, since they're providing the closed captioning. Because Pakistan is NOT the Middle East. It's part of the Indian Subcontinent.

Or the depictions of any national that is not from Europe, as petulant, petty, teenagers.

Or not getting the CORRECT pronunciations of certain regions that aren't a tongue-twister to pronounce.

Showing Hindu gods in homes of clearly Muslim characters. It's aggravating and frustrating. It's not that hard to do the research so you don't look like ignorant boobs. But then again, they probably don't give a shit unless it's a period piece, and even then, they don't get it right.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
34 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

There's a lot that I hand wave away when watching television and seeing Hollywood's version or what they think they know about Indians; like the differences between Hindus, Muslims, and Panjabis--FROM 40 years ago or so. But not today. Hell, not even in the last 20.

I've vented my spleen about the inaccuracies on Law & Order in their respective threads, so I won't repeat myself here.

BUT.

I was looking for something to watch, and I avoided this show for reasons I can't recall, but I've spent the last two weeks watching Madam Secretary on Netflix and it's all I can do not to roll my eyes so HARD, lest they fall out of my head.

Pakistanis speak URDU, not "Arabic" or whatever language the token terrorists were muttering in some episode. Urdu is just a formal way of speaking Hindi. Like the difference between speaking formal/proper English as opposed to...normal English that we all speak. And yet they'll have other middle eastern countries speaking in Farsi. Or maybe it's just Netflix that doesn't know the difference, since they're providing the closed captioning. Because Pakistan is NOT the Middle East. It's part of the Indian Subcontinent.

Or the depictions of any national that is not from Europe, as petulant, petty, teenagers.

Or not getting the CORRECT pronunciations of certain regions that aren't a tongue-twister to pronounce.

Showing Hindu gods in homes of clearly Muslim characters. It's aggravating and frustrating. It's not that hard to do the research so you don't look like ignorant boobs. But then again, they probably don't give a shit unless it's a period piece, and even then, they don't get it right.

I used to get trapped into watching Madam Secretary because it was on before The Good Wife, and it is such a steaming pile of shit. I've sat through a lot of shows because they're on before what I want to watch and I'm too lazy to change the channel, but it was so bad that I did change the channel. 

It became a running joke between me and my grandparents (who sat through it with me) about how many times her college professor husband would go randomly slap on a flightsuit to relive his military pilot glory years and save the day. Because I guess nobody else in the country can fly a fucking plane? 🙄

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Zella said:

I used to get trapped into watching Madam Secretary because it was on before The Good Wife, and it is such a steaming pile of shit. I've sat through a lot of shows because they're on before what I want to watch and I'm too lazy to change the channel, but it was so bad that I did change the channel. 

Oh God, I thought it was just me! I kept finding myself comparing it to The West Wing, (a show I know not everyone likes, or cares to watch, etc.) which is a clear sign that it's not a good show. But I love Tim Daly. His character was good until they changed his character into James Bond Wannabe, but without the training and experience.

Not even his scrumptiousness (Don't judge me! He was SUPERMAN!!!), or the talent of Bebe Neuwirth or Zeljko Ivanek could keep me watching.

But it's the egregious laziness in portraying Pakistanis, Indians that had me bailing. I include both because I know that while it's been over 70 years since Pakistan and India split, each gaining her independence, Pakistan used to be part of India. They're intertwined for me, because Hollywood think they're interchangeable and the same. And they're not. So I can't express my thoughts without mentioning both.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh God, I thought it was just me! I kept finding myself comparing it to The West Wing, (a show I know not everyone likes, or cares to watch, etc.) which is a clear sign that it's not a good show. But I love Tim Daly. His character was good until they changed his character into James Bond Wannabe, but without the training and experience.

Not even his scrumptiousness (Don't judge me! He was SUPERMAN!!!), or the talent of Bebe Neuwirth or Zeljko Ivanek could keep me watching.

But it's the egregious laziness in portraying Pakistanis, Indians that had me bailing. I include both because I know that while it's been over 70 years since Pakistan and India split, each gaining her independence, Pakistan used to be part of India. They're intertwined for me, because Hollywood think they're interchangeable and the same. And they're not. So I can't express my thoughts without mentioning both.

Oh yeah I completely understand! I just remember thinking, "Why are we wasting poor Keith Carradine on this shit?!" LOL I actually don't remember a lot of the show because I got so irritated with it, but I do remember the bad James Bond moments because that's what I fixated on. But it had many, many issues. 

I am not a big TWW fan--I think I've mentioned on here I watched the first few seasons and liked them okay but got really frustrated with it and then tried to do a rewatch and was really put off. But The West Wing is like Shakespeare compared to Madam Shakespeare

• Love 2
Just now, GHScorpiosRule said:

Hah! And I thought Keith was HORRIBLE as President! At least for the first season and a half.

I generally like KC, but I think he was literally just showing up for a paycheck for that show. 🤣

• Love 4
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

One inaccuracy on Law & Order:  They never EVER got the grand jury correct.  

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

One inaccuracy on Law & Order:  They never EVER got the grand jury correct.  

It certainly bore little resemblance to the one I served on, but I thought that was just because I live in a little Podunk county and L&O is in NYC.

36 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

It certainly bore little resemblance to the one I served on, but I thought that was just because I live in a little Podunk county and L&O is in NYC.

I've been on grand jury in NYC, and L&O, all of them got it wrong, wrong, wrong.

• Love 1