Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

(edited)

The last one was ok. Home Again. 

I think they were trying to tick off boxes more than anything, and I think they (TPTBs) didn't really understand how people watch tv in 2016. There's not really a story to tell here. 

The fans imo have been just ungrateful and pissy. 

It did make me laugh that when Chris Carter said some of the fans could be petulant, they immediately took to the internet to declare that he was the worst person ever and he'd always hated Mulder and Scully anyway and he should immediately be fired. Seems he had a point. My UO is that so long as he lays off religion and intense internal monologuing, I actually quite like Carter and think he has a reasonably healthy attitude towards his show's fandom.

Edited by Grace284
  • Love 2
(edited)

My UO which I may be the most UO of all.    Reality voting shows. I don't mind if someone is religious sings religious and/or doesn't want to sing certain songs due to their beliefs.  I don't think they are trying to get votes by doing it. There times I think it hurts them more.

Edited by tribeca
  • Love 10

My UO which I may be the most UO of all.    Reality voting shows. I don't mind if someone is religious sings religious and/or doesn't want to sing certain songs due to their beliefs.  I don't think they are trying to get votes by doing it. There times I think it hurts them more.

I would give this 2000 thumbs up if I could. As a die-hard Voice viewer, I get so annoyed by all the accusations of "pandering" every time someone chooses a religious song, especially if their background indicates that he/she is a person to whom faith is important.
  • Love 5

My nephew is a youth pastor and a worship leader, and he manages to perform secular songs all the time.  I had a friend who was the choir director of a church and he played bass in a heavy metal band.  You can be someone of faith and not have to sing faith songs.

• Love 3

I don't mind people singing religious songs, but I don't agree that it's not ploy for votes. I believe it definitely is. But again, I don't really care that they do it.

Pretty much everything a contestant does on shows like that is a ploy for votes in one way or another.

• Love 5

I wonder if the most vociferous of those fans are also the most pro-Ship too. Because much of the complaints seemed to jump off Why Isn't There Ship Now?

I don't know about that. For myself, I haven't been vociferous about it, but simply wasn't impressed enough with the first installment to finish watching all the episodes yet. I'm not a shipper though and could care less whether there is one. 

I was just really disappointed since they'd had something like 10 years to come up with something great. I'm someone who enjoyed the show til the end, though, and also liked the last movie more than the first one. Yeah, I know.

• Love 1
(edited)

Pretty much everything a contestant does on shows like that is a ploy for votes in one way or another.

Exactly.

It doesn't bother me, but I do see why it seems particularly gross to others when people use religious songs to do it though.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1

Agent Carter is not a perfect show.

Agents of SHIELD is not a horrible show.

Both shows are good. Both shows have their issues. Agent Carter is probably the more charming show, mostly thanks to Hayley Atwell who is like charm personified. But SHIELD has good things going for it too, good characters and teamwork among them.

Mostly I do not understand the need to trash Agents of SHIELD in favor of Agent Carter.

• Love 8

Welcome to the digital age. Having an opinion in favor of one thing automatically means you have to think its counterpart is garbage, or at least that is what the defenders of the counterpart read your opinion as. No one is allowed to like two things on the whole, but just prefer one over the other. Nope, it must be mutually exclusive.

• Love 11

I'm curious as to how "Jon Stewart would have done so much more of a better job with the election" than Trevor Noah. In what way? Because I'm not seeing much in the way of explanation or deconstruction of TDS beyond it's just !=Jon Stewart. 

Well, this is the Unpopular Thread, so here goes:

I like Trevor Noah. He's funny. He makes me laugh.  But I'm one who is sorely missing Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert this election season. Why? Because, for me? I miss Jon's rage. Seeing Jon's rage/anger and being funny, at the same time, made me feel better. It helps that I'm getting some of what I want in Samantha Bee's new show.

• Love 7

I wasn't as invested in JS, and over the last couple of years I think he just got tired. I would concede that JS at his peak is better than a TN who literally has less than 100 episodes under his belt, but I mean come on. Honestly, though, recent JS was tired. 

The show is actually good with TN, and there's been some great pieces by the others. So I just don't see with JS there that the show would be a huge leap up. 

• Love 3

I stopped watching Jon Stewart when he invited Jennifer Love Hewitt as a guest and proceeded to insult her. Furthermore, I like JLH more than JS. Party of Five & The Ghost Whisper are more important pieces of television than The Daily Show. 

• Love 3

I didn't see the JLH interview, but if that's what he did then that's awful.  I know someone who worked on Ghost Whisperer and said that she was great to work with.  Very down to earth, charming and funny.

• Love 3

Or it's possible that at least one or two of the people who like Carter and not AOS feel that way because they think Carter is a good show and AOS isn't. Presuming groupthink and bad faith in people who disagree with you is depressingly far from unpopular on the interwebs :)

• Love 3

I wasn't as invested in JS, and over the last couple of years I think he just got tired. I would concede that JS at his peak is better than a TN who literally has less than 100 episodes under his belt, but I mean come on. Honestly, though, recent JS was tired.

The show is actually good with TN, and there's been some great pieces by the others. So I just don't see with JS there that the show would be a huge leap up.

Your initial post stated you hadn't read any "explanation" from those that think Jon should be here during this election. And I responded, giving you my reasons I wish Jon was still hosting The Daily Show. I do agree, that he left because he was tired. But that doesn't mean I don't miss him, because I do. It's not because "it's Jon!" I just think he would give it more bite and be sharper, as he's proven in years past.

I don't want to debate the Jon v. Trevor, and who is better. Like I said, you were asking for an explanation over the preference for Jon, and I gave you mine without the vague generalization. I'm not knocking those that love and prefer Trevor. I like him too. But I like Jon more.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

My UO is that some of the best shows on today are kid's shows like Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, Gumball

Also, Avatar the Last Airbender was/is one of the best shows ever.

• Love 4

I don't want to debate the Jon v. Trevor, and who is better. Like I said, you were asking for an explanation over the preference for Jon, and I gave you mine without the vague generalization. I'm not knocking those that love and prefer Trevor. I like him too. But I like Jon more.

I like both of them. They're both funny and have their own style. I think Jon was better on TDS when he was at his peak, but that's because he had time to hone his skills and make the show his own. Trevor is still new, and I know he'll get even better than he is now. 

• Love 2

I like both of them. They're both funny and have their own style. I think Jon was better on TDS when he was at his peak, but that's because he had time to hone his skills and make the show his own. Trevor is still new, and I know he'll get even better than he is now. 

Your initial post stated you hadn't read any "explanation" from those that think Jon should be here during this election.

Yes, and I responded to the reply within the context of my own viewing experience and the comments about TN on TDS-at-large. I don't what the issue is here.

I stopped watching Jon Stewart when he invited Jennifer Love Hewitt as a guest and proceeded to insult her. Furthermore, I like JLH more than JS. Party of Five & The Ghost Whisper are more important pieces of television than The Daily Show.

Now, I can't agree on POF and the Ghost Whisperer as being more important than TDS (even though POF was a show I LOVED), but I will say that my UO is that I think Jennifer Love Hewitt is a pretty good actress, and I wish she could find the right vehicle for her talents - I think she'd be great in a a comedy, and when given the right type of material, she can be good in dramatic roles as well. I've always thought she was FANTASTIC in her episode of Law and Order SVU. And I do agree with you that Jon Stewart was a dick to her in that interview.

As for the Jon Stewart vs Trevor Noah debate, my UO was that I never liked Jon Stewart at all, so I didn't start watching TDS regularly again until Trevor was the host. Before that, I hadn't been a regular viewer since Colbert was on, since my other UO is that I always thought the Colbert Report was a much stronger show than TDS.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 7

Sigh, my UO is that I love LaPorsha (from American Idol) when she does those runs.  I don't love everybody's runs, and they can be overdone.  But when someone has enough vocal control to do runs and hit every note with intention, that is a thing of beauty.  Whitney Houston was a master at it; Mariah Carey is hit or miss. I do think it has a lot to do with having your formative musical years rooted in the black church, as runs and glissades are part and parcel of gospel music.  Not everyone can do them well, but LaPorsha is a master at it.  So I disagree when people say she should stop doing those runs. I say, run on, baby, and rock on with your natural hair, too. 

• Love 6

Whitney Houston was a master at it; Mariah Carey is hit or miss. I do think it has a lot to do with having your formative musical years rooted in the black church, as runs and glissades are part and parcel of gospel music.

I think you're probably right about the gospel influence, but I suspect Mariah Carey's mom the opera singer who taught voice probably had something to do with it too.

• Love 4

For me the difference is that you can hear Mariah trying, where Whitney's runs were effortless.  it's really apparent on their duet, "When You Believe." Of course, Mariah has that insane range, so that's her jam.

• Love 1

Now, I can't agree on POF and the Ghost Whisperer as being more important than TDS (even though POF was a show I LOVED), but I will say that my UO is that I think Jennifer Love Hewitt is a pretty good actress, and I wish she could find the right vehicle for her talents - I think she'd be great in a a comedy, and when given the right type of material, she can be good in dramatic roles as well. I've always thought she was FANTASTIC in her episode of Law and Order SVU. And I do agree with you that Jon Stewart was a dick to her in that interview.

All of Party of Five is on Hulu now and I have been watching it. I don't even know if this is unpopular but I LOVE it. I was only like 4-10 when it originally aired but my older sister loved it and I loved Neve Campbell from Scream and Jennifer Love Hewitt from I Know What You Did Last Summer (clearly I had a genre), so I just knew I would love it no matter what. Not to mention I'm obsessed with LOST and love Mean Girls so Matthew Fox and Lacey Chabert were just added bonuses. Anyways, it's so 90s and melodramatic but I don't even care I love it.

I also agree that JLH is underrated and great at comedy. She's in the movie Heartbreakers with Sigourney Weaver and dammit do I love that movie. And she's great in it.

I also think Neve Campbell is awesome and underrated and I wish she was a much bigger star than she is, even though she consciously avoided becoming that. Happy to see her back in the limelight with House of Cards and still looking fantastic.

And since I mentioned the rest of the cast but not him, I should say I think Scott Wolf was great on Party of Five as well.

• Love 6

Really? How so?

I have a feeling they were joking. They may know those two shows aren't that important, but being a fan of JLH they wanted to make them look more important than they actually are. 

I will say that POF was definitely a quintessential 90's teen show, for what it's worth. :) 

Edited by UYI

Late to the party but this so much:

Maybe it's because I find Milo Ventimiglia utterly charmless, maybe it's because I've met one too many people like this in my life, but I was glad when he went far, far away.

And I liked Logan. I thought he had good character progression and pushed Rory outside of her comfort zone. I thought the show did a nice job of showing him growing right alongside Rory growing and he seemed like a good match for her, intellectually, but I loved that he wasn't so bookish. It was a good balance.

I loved Logan for exactly the reasons you mentioned. He was the only one of the 3 boyfriends who I felt resembled a well-rounded adult and he had just enough of an edge to challenge Rory (who I always though was a little too perfect and special). I never realized he was so hated until I started reading these boards, heh.

And yes to what you said about MV. Not only did I find his acting boring but I grew so tired of Jess's constant whining and "tortured soul" personality. To me, Jess's relationship with Rory was the tritest repressed-good-girl-moons-over-misunderstood-hipster trope ever.

• Love 4

I don't think Adaline "raped" Nick on "Grimm." She's a witch who used some kind of body-switching spell, but he had sex with her willing. The obsession with rape I've seen in regards to this almost ruin my enjoyment of the show.

• Love 1

I have to disagree. Nick believed he was having sex with Juliette his long time girlfriend not Adalind who he hated. Nick never consented to sleep with her and that in my opinion makes it rape. I've been bothered by the writers inability to see what Adalind did as sexual assault because it implies that women can't rape men which is untrue.

• Love 13

I hate when shows do a musical episode. If the show is a musical, fine, but when it's otherwise not normal in-universe to break into song, it's very off-putting. Because they're generally done for fun, I don't find that they add anything to the show, it's just a complete waste of an episode. And when these shows aren't really musicals, and the actors haven't needed to be able to sing, a lot of the times they suck, which just gives me second-hand embarrassment.

• Love 6

I hate when shows do a musical episode. If the show is a musical, fine, but when it's otherwise not normal in-universe to break into song, it's very off-putting. Because they're generally done for fun, I don't find that they add anything to the show, it's just a complete waste of an episode. And when these shows aren't really musicals, and the actors haven't needed to be able to sing, a lot of the times they suck, which just gives me second-hand embarrassment.

I'll up that UP a notch by saying that, contrary to the popular opinion amongst Buffy fans, I thought their musical episode flat out sucked and was one of the worst  episodes ever.

• Love 5

The mods here are petrified by political talk even though there are multiple threads for political satire shows, which naturally leads to political discussion. Lots of posts are seemingly deleted on a whim.

The mods are disingenuous for allowing sports talk; i.e., discussion on actual football games, and how players play in actual games, rather than limiting the the discussion for the telecast of those games. The college basketball thread is consumed with who should be in the tournament currently. Which is fine.

Which we should be able to post in the Real Time, or Daily Show, whom should be selected for the VP. "No not talked about on the show". Not exactly though, A lot of "we deleted posts because reasons" is more the case than letting people talk. 

• Love 2

When Neil Degrasse Tyson's Cosmos was aired, many commentators criticized the historical reenactments in Carl Sagan's Cosmos.

I liked them

So, is it a UO to prefer the original Cosmos?  Because, while I enjoy Neil deGrasse Tyson in general and his presentation of Cosmos in particular, I felt it was dumbed down for a modern audience compared to the original.  Which is probably just an accurate reflection of the state of scientific education/awareness today, but depresses me nonetheless. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

So, is it a UO to prefer the original Cosmos?  Because, while I enjoy Neil deGrasse Tyson in general and his presentation of Cosmos in particular, I felt it was dumbed down for a modern audience compared to the original.  Which is probably just an accurate reflection of the state of scientific education/awareness today, but depresses me nonetheless. 

I agree completely.  While I adore NDT I was totally bored by his Cosmos and didn't even finish watching the series.  

• Love 1

I don't know if it's an UO but I loved the original Cosmos. It was one of my favorite shows. I did not like the new one. Those animated stories got on my nerves. There's my UO.

Edited by festivus
  • Love 1

UOs: I have liked Gotham since it premiered. I like Jim Gordon. The Penguin and Nygma have become boring. The young actor portraying Bruce Wayne (David Mazouz)  has become my favorite Bruce Wayne, with Christian Bale being a close second.

• Love 3

I'm curious as to how "Jon Stewart would have done so much more of a better job with the election" than Trevor Noah. In what way? Because I'm not seeing much in the way of explanation or deconstruction of TDS beyond it's just !=Jon Stewart. 

I haven't watched in a while, but have always felt Jon was a little over rated.  It is not a news show it is a comedy.  Lighten up.

• Love 2

Why politics and not sports, cooking, etc? Simply put: collectively, people don't lose their shit in those other arenas.

So I totally get why politics is verboten, but I just wanted to say I kinda snorted at the idea that a lot of sports fans don't collectively lose their shit. I only wish that were true... sigh. 

• Love 12

So I totally get why politics is verboten, but I just wanted to say I kinda snorted at the idea that a lot of sports fans don't collectively lose their shit. I only wish that were true... sigh. 

Honestly--and this might be a UO--they're often even worse. 

• Love 6

Honestly--and this might be a UO--they're often even worse. 

It's not a UO with me. I've seen news reports where people are, like. setting stuff on fire and generally going crazy because the Bulls won a basketball game.