Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

I have stated in this thread many pages ago that my UO is that there are just as many bad UK shows as there are U.S. ones. To spin it around, there are a lot of very entertaining U.S. shows. I say this as a person who watches many shows from both sides of the pond.

• Love 3

My issue with the British vs. American shows is with regards to remakes. Now in fairness some people just always naturally prefer an original show over a remake but I do get tired of hearing how much more superior the British version is when a show is remade. Like while I enjoyed the British The Office, I think Steve Carrell was just as brilliant as Ricky Gervais on the American version and his never winning an Emmy for that role is just one of those award injustices that will never make sense to me. 

A more recent example of this was the show Gracepoint, based off the British show Broadchurch. Now don't get me wrong, Gracepoint had its issues but all season long I had to read about all the ways it just didn't measure up to Broadchurch which was supposedly this far superior show. I watched Broadchurch and that show had just as many writing problems as Gracepoint did in my opinion. And at least Gracepoint is clearly not having a second season because Broadchurch did and I only got through half the season before I quit because the level of ridiculous and stupid was too much. 

• Love 6

UK tv is appealing because the stories are more serialized and the seasons shorter for me. Typically no cliffhangers either. Lots of shows are only one or two seasons and aren't dragged out to death. I tend to think they get away with edgier content than most US shows.

Nowadays since cable is doing so well, you're seeing similar moderns for US shows.

• Love 6

Which makes sense when you think about all the different ways you can get netflix on your TV (most DVD/Bluray players, Smart TV's, game consoles and set top boxes like Roku or Apple TV, how many people don't have one of those things in their house) and the fact that for most people their TV is going to be bigger than their computer monitor.

I don't have any of those things (except a dvd player but it's too old a model to stream anything).  Yes, I am something of a Luddite.  Or at least someone who thinks "the tv/vcr/dvd player/computer I have works just fine - I don't have the money to waste on stuff I don't really need".  So I probably would be inclined to agree that Netflix shows shouldn't be included with things actually made for television, but then again, no one ever asked me about it.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm tired of all the Leo versus Dominic back-and-forth for Chasing Life. I'm watching because I love Brenna, Beth, and Emma, not to mention the sisterly relationship between Brenna, Natalie, and April; I couldn't care less about April's love life or the guy she ends up choosing. If she chooses Dominic, I'm not going to stop watching the show, because it's not like it'll make me less interested in her relationship than I already am. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 2

I'm tired of all the Leo versus Dominic back-and-forth for Chasing Life. I'm watching because I love Brenna, Beth, and Emma, not to mention the sisterly relationship between Brenna, Natalie, and April; I couldn't care less about April's love life or the guy she ends up choosing. If she chooses Dominic, I'm not going to stop watching the show, because it's not like it'll make me less interested in her relationship than I already am.

This. I am actually indifferent to both Leo and Dominic. They are just there for me. I am not interested in April's love life. I am just not invested in it. Maybe somewhere down the line I would be if someone totally new that I actually liked was in the picture, but I find April's relationships with her family and Beth far more interesting than her with her various love interests. I do not find either Leo or Dominic to be the worst, but I kind of wish neither was actually around. I find there is plenty of story for April that does not have to be with her and the guy she is with, at least at this time.

• Love 1

This. I am actually indifferent to both Leo and Dominic. They are just there for me. I am not interested in April's love life. I am just not invested in it. Maybe somewhere down the line I would be if someone totally new that I actually liked was in the picture, but I find April's relationships with her family and Beth far more interesting than her with her various love interests. I do not find either Leo or Dominic to be the worst, but I kind of wish neither was actually around. I find there is plenty of story for April that does not have to be with her and the guy she is with, at least at this time.

Yeah, for me the strength of this show lies in the relationships between the various women.

But hey, if we're going to talk about guys, I find April far more interesting when she's interacting with Danny than either Leo or Dominic. And no, Chasing Life writers, that does not mean I want April with Danny instead! I just like their friendship.

• Love 1

Bachelorette UO: I have no problem with Kaitlyn as The Bachelorette this season, and rampant slut shaming of her is disgusting.  She's not the first bachelorette (or bachelor for that matter) to have sex with two of the contestants - who ended up being the final two anyway -  and she's not going to be the last.   

• Love 1

I've not watched the season, but have read some of the commentary.  The Bachelor/ette always, ALWAYS becomes the worst!person!evah! for any combination of things: "leading" someone on, having sex with multiple people (never mind that it's all consensual), keeping one person over another, not being sensitive enough, not providing the proper explanation when demanded of them, not looking interested enough, being too nice, being too candid, etc.  I knew Kaitlyn was gonna get it after reading spoilers of her season.  It's hilarious in its absurdity. I still chuckle at the TWOP implosion from Brad's original season and how he dared to choose no one. Definitely among the greatest TV moments of all time. 

• Love 3

I haven't watched much of The Bachelorette seasons but I do watch The Bachelors, and I think that Juan Pablo got the worst edit of any of the Bachelor/ettes. 

Regarding this Bachelorette season, I watched the first (or second?) episode when the contestants chose between Kaitlyn and the other woman whose name escapes me, to be the next B'ette.  I was somewhat surprised that they chose Kaitlyn because I thought the other one was more attractive, but maybe it was her personality that turned some of the guys off. 

(edited)

The premise of the Bachelor/ette is that a bunch of people are competing to marry someone they don't know for a prize and the opportunity to appear on TV, yes? And we're not just talking sex, we're talking the all-important Institution of Marriage we've heard so much about these last few years that these people are competing to enter into for a profit and bonus sex.

How is anyone getting shit for being inappropriately sexual on that franchise? The premise of both shows is that the person who wins is, literally, a whore.  

Edited by Julia
(edited)

I didn't like Vala on SG1. I love Claudia Black, loved Aeryn Sun, hated Vala.

I didn't really like her that much either, she was okay to be a recurring character. However I never felt like they should have had Vala join the SGC, she had no real skills to add. Jonas (who I did like) was a scientist and was a quick learner. Vala just sort of flirted with everyone she seriously worse that Chiana with that lol.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 2
(edited)

Where has this thread been all my life?  I seem to always end up hating characters that others love.

Game of Thrones - Arya.  The only time I may have had a nice thought about her was when she was nice to Hot Pie.

The Good Wife - Alicia Florek.  Haven't liked her since the first episode or two when I thought she was numb with shock and hurt and anger.  Then I realized that's just her - self-centered, ruthless, and not all that bright. 

Homeland - Carrie.  I would like that show a lot better if it weren't for Carrie.  I diagnose her with Self-Inflicted Histrionics Syndrome with a side of Foolish Choices and Bad Decisions.  I get it that she thinks she is sharper, smarter, more clever when she is off her meds.  But no, she is not.

Downton Abbey - Thomas the footman.  Hated him from the start for being such a weasel, and not in a "love to hate" kind of way.  Just hate.  Every now and then he'd seem to approximate some humanity, but it would quickly be replaced by unwarranted nastiness toward someone, anyone, everyone.  Somehow, that he occasionally showed that he is a troubled person in need of compassion made it that much worse for me when he tried to ruin someone else's life.

The West Wing:  President Bartlet.  Eh, he was ok, but I never felt any warmth toward him.  Considering how much I liked the other main characters, the President was a weak link for me with the show. 

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm running out of reasons to watch, except to see if April survives, although it's not looking good. I've stuck with the show despite its weird, sporadic schedule. But I'm not really invested in any character, let's wrap it up so I can get some closure! Edited by JasminePhyllisia

I don't really care if an actor is playing an historical figure and doesn't look too much like them. (To a point.)  I'd rather have the best actor for the part than basing it primarily on their looks. 

• Love 5

I was never allowed to watch "Hogan's Heroes" because my grandparents survived the concentration camps and found it to be insulting. I am a second generation Polish immigrant. Perhaps if I watched it now, I would get some enjoyment out of it.

My opinion (likely a UO given how the demand for these kinds of shows): shows like "Knock Knock Live" suck.

The idea of featuring schlublike "ordinary" Americans on TV seems noble in theory but just makes for boring TV in reality. The over-the-top celebrity worship makes me feel sad for these people. And these rich Fox people dumping $25,000 in dollar bills on a street in Covina, CA and having people rush to pick it up in mailbags is borderline obscene.

• Love 1

Since we're discussing viewing habits, I almost never watch TV shows live anymore.  That might not be unpopular here, but most people still do.  I'd much rather watch online, and reduce (if not eliminate) commercials.  Plus, I'm less likely to multi-task or get distracted when I watch a show on demand. 

The only show I watch live anymore is The Walking Dead. My family and I have come to an agreement. They give me one uninterrupted hour of television a week and I don't mention how a two hour movie usually takes me 5 hours to watch due to various and sundry things that need my attention right now.

Speaking of The Walking Dead, Carol's increasing coldness is starting to wear thin. While I appreciate her transformation from nigh-useless lump to certified one woman army, some of her recent actions have rubbed me the wrong way. Also, Daryl is not the be all end all of the show for me. I like the character and Norman Reedus does a great job, but I won't stop watching if Daryl dies.

Another UO: I liked seasons 6 & 7 of Buffy. Season 6 has my favorite episode of the entire series (Tabula Rasa).

• Love 1

I don't really care if an actor is playing an historical figure and doesn't look too much like them. (To a point.)  I'd rather have the best actor for the part than basing it primarily on their looks. 

That is precisely why I will never watch The Tudors.  I cannot believe Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Henry VIII.

• Love 2
(edited)
That is precisely why I will never watch The Tudors.

Don't watch the Tudors because it's a bad show. The fact that the actor didn't want to play the character age/physically appropriately is way down on the list. It's fair that Henry was athletic and in shape early in his life, but you have to change as he did. The physical changes are part of the story. So that's a little different than what I meant. I'm saying, I don't care what Bill Masters looked like irl, they cast the right actor for the role. The Tudors did not cast the right actor for the role simply because he wasn't willing to fully commit. 

I like the character and Norman Reedus does a great job, but I won't stop watching if Daryl dies.

"I'm not watching if this character dies" makes me laugh. By now, everyone wants to know how TWD ends. Same thing with GOT. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1
(edited)

That is precisely why I will never watch The Tudors.  I cannot believe Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Henry VIII.

I only watched it for Jeremy Northam.  When his character was done, so was I.  JRM was the least believable Henry VIII I've ever seen, and not just because there was no physical resemblance.  He didn't carry across Henry's reported personality at all, and I just couldn't buy him as someone as commanding and powerful as Henry VIII was said to be.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

I think it's great that Caitlyn Jenner is transitioning.   HOwever, I don't need to see a picture of her new outfit every damn day.    I thought she was just caught up in the Kardashian famestrumpeting.   Turns out she is just as bad as they are.    The paps wouldn't be getting pictures of her everywhere if she wasn't telling them where she was.

• Love 14
(edited)

That is precisely why I will never watch The Tudors.  I cannot believe Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Henry VIII.

I couldn't get past the changes like the first episode when he was all upset over his uncle's

murder he had his father had no brothers and his mothers brothers were the princes in the

tower and changing his sister Mary's name to Margaret was very distracting for me since

he did have a sister named Margaret who was Queen of Scotland and had a few scandals

of her own. I kept thinking of her instead.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 4

I couldn't get past the changes like the first episode when he was all upset over his uncle's

murder he had his father had no brothers and his mothers brothers were the princes in the

tower and changing his sister Mary's name to Margaret was very distracting for me since

he did have a sister named Margaret who was Queen of Scotland and had a few scandals

of her own. I kept thinking of her instead.

I almost wanted The Tudors to continue into the reigns of Edward, Mary, and Elizabeth if only to see how they would deal with Lady Jane Grey being the granddaughter of one of Henry's sisters and Mary, Queen of Scots the granddaughter of his other sister.

• Love 1
(edited)

I haven't watched much of The Bachelorette seasons but I do watch The Bachelors, and I think that Juan Pablo got the worst edit of any of the Bachelor/ettes. 

With him, there was also some insidious subtext, given how frequently his accent was mocked.  

The premise of the Bachelor/ette is that a bunch of people are competing to marry someone they don't know for a prize and the opportunity to appear on TV, yes? And we're not just talking sex, we're talking the all-important Institution of Marriage we've heard so much about these last few years that these people are competing to enter into for a profit and bonus sex.

How is anyone getting shit for being inappropriately sexual on that franchise? The premise of both shows is that the person who wins is, literally, a whore.  

Well, apparently, if you're to have relations at all, it must be with the final one and only him/her.  Because this process is pure and perfect and not at all manufactured and cast with wannabes.  

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 3
With him, there was also some insidious subtext, given how frequently his accent was mocked.

Yes, I think it was mostly about him being "foreign."  I got a lot of flak on TWoP because I liked him and didn't think he was any worse than any of the other Bachelors. 

• Love 3

murder

Plus, Sean Pertwee was more dynamic in those few minutes as the murdered uncle than JRM did for the entire two first seasons.

• Love 2

UO:  I missed all the behind the scenes showrunner drama on Sleepy Hollow.  I just binged Season Two, which I'd DVR'd but never watched.  I liked it almost as much as Season One. 

• Love 5

Yay!! A thread after my own heart. It's definitely heartening to know that there are others out there who tend to hate characters because of fandom overlove. Sometimes it feels irrational, but I suppose it's the mostly the same as people hating characters because they feel the writers are trying to force the audience to love them. I probably feel more strongly about fandom hate. I have far more characters I love that people, at least on message boards, tend to hate.

So many posts I want to quote. 

Felicity from Arrow. I liked her initially, but the strong love for her and how everything she does is awesome made me dislike her. Also, I could care less about Olicity. For me less is more with Felicity.

Felicity is definitely the main reason I decided to check this thread out. She's not the only beloved character I hate, but she's the one who annoys me the most right now.

She is a walking talking quirk.

This has been my main problem with her from the beginning. Before I even watched the show, I heard how wonderful she and Olicity was. I won't talk about my overwhelming hatred of Olicity here, but I've never particularly warmed to Felicity. I used to love quirky characters, but I've found over the years, I'm less interested in those characters, especially when there's not much to them but quirks. During the first season I felt like that was basically the writer's only way of developing Felicity's character - quirk. There was one episode, I can't remember which, in the first season where apropos of nothing she just started rambling about rat or cat droppings and I thought "Okay, writers we get it, she's quirky - can we move on, please?" They've developed her character slightly better since, but by that point the over the top fandom love, and Olicity, just soured me on her completely.

Spike, though he has long been a love or hate character. The moment I stopped liking him was somewhere in the episode Crush, where it turned out he had a crush on Buffy. After that, there was nothing he did or said either on Buffy or Angel to make me like him again.

This! I used to actually love Spike. But then the crush on Buffy happened and his character just changed completely, and I became completely disgusted by him. I was so done with the character, when I found out he was joining "Angel's" fifth season, that was the deciding factor in me quitting the show.

Damon Salvatore from "The Vampire Diaries" is another character in the vein of Spike, that I absolutely can't stand for the most part. At times, I find him amusing, and I love his relationship with his brother, but I would have done a dance of joy if he had been the one to leave the show last season.

I don't hate Helena from "Orphan Black" but I don't find her as precious as a lot of people do and would have been fine if she had never been resurrected.

I'm getting a little tired of Crowley on "Supernatural." I liked him well enough when he started, but he's kind of outlasted his usefulness for me.

• Love 4
(edited)

I just discovered the thread about widely loved characters that you dislike and said that thread was one after my own heart because I hate a lot of beloved characters. But, really, this is the thread for me. I have far more characters I love that seem to be hated, at least at some of the forums I've visited. I especially seem to find that I hold those opinions lately more often.

I'll definitely join in on the love for Xander from BtVS and Ross from Friends. I know all the reasons people talk about for hating them, but I just don't care. They were my favorites and the ones I cared for the most and made me laugh the most.

There are too many iconic Ross moments that too many people cherish (They were on a break, your/you're, the leather pants, his silent swearing).

PIVOT!

Sam from SPN is not a character I would have thought of as widely hated. I have visited forums where he gets more hate than Dean, but I don't know if it's a universal thing. But he's also a favorite of mine, no matter how much the writers have him do such stupid things.

There are a lot of characters who I probably wouldn't have felt one way or another about, but the over the top hatred for the characters on-line just annoyed me and made me want to stick up for the characters.

I've never really gotten the overwhelming hatred for Laurel on Arrow. The over the top hatred for her is one reason I won't even step foot in the Arrow forums, even when there are episodes I want to discuss.

Ditto Cami from The Originals.

I always preferred Dawson over Pacey. And I loved Noel on Felicity and detested Ben.

I really love Sabrina and Spinelli on General Hospital

Neil from Once Upon a Time. I think I could have liked him a lot more, but the writers seemed to not know what to do with him, and got rid of him too quickly.

I also really liked Jack and Kate on Lost. 

I'm not sure how widely hated he is or not, since I've only visited these forums, and the show is so new, but I've seen a lot of hate for Major on iZombie and I love him.

Despite the crappy things he's done, I still like Jake from Scandal, probably mostly because of my love for Scott Foley.

Never understood the dislike for Martha from Doctor Who.

If Connor from Angel was a widely hated character, than he'd be on this list. I really came to love that character. It was his exit - and Spike's arrival - that made me quit watching the show.

I think, maybe the most unpopular characters I like, are Piper and Larry from OITNB. Piper can get really annoying, but I think she has a good mix of strengths and weakness, at least in the first season.

Edited by FilmTVGeek80
  • Love 2

I'm not sure how widely hated he is or not, since I've only visited these forums, and the show is so new, but I've seen a lot of hate for Major on iZombie and I love him.

People hate Major? I like him too. I thought they really did well in making Major his own character and not just Liv's ex/love interest. I pretty much like all the main characters on iZombie though.

I like Rachel Zane on Suits. I always have. Though I do mostly enjoy her interactions with characters other than Mike, but really do not mind their interactions either. 

• Love 1

People hate Major? I like him too. I thought they really did well in making Major his own character and not just Liv's ex/love interest. I pretty much like all the main characters on iZombie though.

Like I said, the Previously TV forums is the only iZombie forum I've really visited, so I don't know if he's widely hated or not. And I do think over the course of the first season more people came around on his character. But when the season first started people really seemed to dislike him and consider him too boring and/or stupid.

• Love 1

In fairness, Major became more complex and interesting as the season went on. Perhaps that changed some minds?

I see him as sort of a metacommentary on the traditional "hero" and how he evolves as he moves outside his comfort zone. I mean, his name is Major Lilywhite. That's a bit of a lantern hang.

I think it's great that Caitlyn Jenner is transitioning.   HOwever, I don't need to see a picture of her new outfit every damn day.    I thought she was just caught up in the Kardashian famestrumpeting.   Turns out she is just as bad as they are.    The paps wouldn't be getting pictures of her everywhere if she wasn't telling them where she was.

Paparazzi camp out and follow celebs everywhere.  They couldn't get away from them if they tried. 

(edited)

I'm getting a little tired of Crowley on "Supernatural." I liked him well enough when he started, but he's kind of outlasted his usefulness for me.

I can't believe I forgot about Crowley.  I hate him.  He was kind of amusing at first but I am at a loss as to why he's still around.  Of all the characters they kill for no good reason on this show (including Bobby ffs) he's the one they let live?  Plus, he killed my girl, Meg.  Honestly, he needed to be gone after Caged Heat.

Edited by Sweet Tee
  • Love 4

I forgot why people hated Brenda.

I don't think it was really Brenda people had issues with, I think it was Shannen Doherty, who had a reputation for being incredibly difficult to work with, and that rep followed her when she went on to do Charmed, which she was also fired from, with or without Alyssa Milano's help. My sister watched the show obsessively back in the day, and you were either a Kelly fan or a Brenda fan, and liking one meant hating the other.

(edited)

I don't think it was really Brenda people had issues with, I think it was Shannen Doherty, who had a reputation for being incredibly difficult to work with, and that rep followed her when she went on to do Charmed, which she was also fired from, with or without Alyssa Milano's help.

I'm going to have to disagree with you.  Fandom hated Brenda.  There was a whole mainstream push about how fandom hated Brenda.  Forums like these didn't really exist back then and places online that were the precursors to forums I never visited for 90210 because I wasn't into the show enough to seek them out.  But I knew how much fandom hated Brenda.  It was on TV.  It was on radio.  It was in magazines.  I'm pretty sure it was on billboards.  I liken it to the precursor to the time when it was impossible to not to know about Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan because media would not shut up about it.   

In my memory, it went like this.  Fandom hated Brenda.  Cast hated Shannen Doherty.  Because fandom hated Brenda, cast went public about Shannen Doherty in a way that is mostly unheard of now and very unusual back then, especially with a star of a show.  Because cast piled on with the Shannen hate, fandom rolled that into the Brenda hate.  The seemingly universal dislike of both character and actress got Shannen Doherty fired. 

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 2
In my memory, it went like this.  Fandom hated Brenda.  Cast hated Shannen Doherty.  Because fandom hated Brenda, cast went public about Shannen Doherty in a way that is mostly unheard of now and very unusual back then, especially with a star of a show.  Because cast piled on with the Shannen hate, fandom rolled that into the Brenda hate.  The seemingly universal dislike of both character and actress got Shannen Doherty fired. 

I sort of agree, but OTOH the retroactive Brenda fans hate Kelly like poison. I don't think I'd ever heard the word "cankles" before I saw it back on the old BH thread on TWOP.

I sort of agree, but OTOH the retroactive Brenda fans hate Kelly like poison. I don't think I'd ever heard the word "cankles" before I saw it back on the old BH thread on TWOP.

I missed the thread on TWOP.  I have no doubt that Kelly was hated.  I bet there are a lot of fans that realized Brenda wasn't so bad once Kelly became the star rather than the BFF because she morphed into an entirely different character.  The never ending Dylan or Brandon couldn't have endeared her to a number of fans long term.  Triangles are never good for the person in the middle.  The difference for me is that mainstream interest in the show waned by then and Kelly hate never made it to full on media saturation.

Honestly, I can't think of another character that has been that publically hated who wasn't supposed to be.  A few actresses, but not characters

• Love 1

I like Rachel Zane on Suits. I always have. Though I do mostly enjoy her interactions with characters other than Mike, but really do not mind their interactions either. 

Yeah, I like Rachel too.  She is a perfectly fine character, imo.

• Love 2
I am at a loss as to why he's still around
Because he's played by Mark Sheppard who, by international treaty and local ordinances, must appear in every genre show. Him and Felicia Day.
  • Love 2
(edited)

Felicity is definitely the main reason I decided to check this thread out. She's not the only beloved character I hate, but she's the one who annoys me the most right now.

This has been my main problem with her from the beginning. Before I even watched the show, I heard how wonderful she and Olicity was. I won't talk about my overwhelming hatred of Olicity here, but I've never particularly warmed to Felicity. I used to love quirky characters, but I've found over the years, I'm less interested in those characters, especially when there's not much to them but quirks. During the first season I felt like that was basically the writer's only way of developing Felicity's character - quirk. There was one episode, I can't remember which, in the first season where apropos of nothing she just started rambling about rat or cat droppings and I thought "Okay, writers we get it, she's quirky - can we move on, please?" They've developed her character slightly better since, but by that point the over the top fandom love, and Olicity, just soured me on her completely.

I want to parse this a bit, because I don't think it's the quirks of the character that ruined her.  And it's not the fan-love per se.

For me what ruined her is the way the writers and producers folded like a house of cards to the fan-love.  What I believe we've all taken to calling "fan service". Fan love is fine, but it's not always the best guide to follow to write a good script, or a good arc.  The best writers can be inspired by fandom without totally giving in. When you service the fans to the detriment of what's best for the character, what's best for the show's plot, etc. then fan service becomes not just annoying, but damaging. That's what happened here--Felicity is probably the single best example of this in recent years of TV.

Felicity at the start of the program is fine--quirks and all.  But it was the vast increase in screen time--the inevitable seeming surrender towards making her virtually a co-protagonist that ruined her. She deserved a targeted increase in screen time to develop her character, but they went WAY overboard, and the extra time she got wasn't even "spent" well most of the time. 

Of course they had the problem of a leading lady for the show, Laurel, who sucked.  Who still sucks (even if she isn't really a leading lady anymore).  Promoting Felicity up to that role was in part a response to that. But honestly, till my least breath (and even with her in a new show) I'll always believe they should have instead tossed the lame plans for Sara's death and stuck with her as the romantic interest instead.  Because Sara could bear the extra screen time and focus, whereas when you did that with the likes of Felicity all you noticed BECAUSE of that were the quirks that (when she had 25% of the screen time) were acceptable.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I don't love her, but I do not dislike Laurel on ARROW and I don't quite get the intense hatred directed at her. It's not Katie Cassidy's fault that the writers force her onto the fans as much.

It IS kind of her fault though that she can't act (as much as it's anyone's fault for going into the profession of acting, not being any good at it, but being cast anyway).

And of course that's compounded by her having to do stunts and action and also not being any good at those either (although they shoehorned that into being part of the character's "journey" to get around that).

(edited)
Fandom hated Brenda

I have to agree. I know because I was the owner of an I Hate Brenda t-shirt. Since forums didn't really exist back in 1993 I ordered the shirt from a newsletter. I'm pretty sure it was called The I Hate Brenda Newsletter. I couldn't tell you why I hated Brenda now but I know that I thought she was the worst thing going in 1993.

Edited by mishy
(edited)

It IS kind of her fault though that she can't act (as much as it's anyone's fault for going into the profession of acting, not being any good at it, but being cast anyway).

And of course that's compounded by her having to do stunts and action and also not being any good at those either (although they shoehorned that into being part of the character's "journey" to get around that).

On a show with Stephen Amell as the lead, who is painfully good looking but a TERRIBLE actor, I can't snark on anyone on that show for being a bad actor.  He makes everyone else look like they should be doing Shakespeare.

After this most recent season of Orange is the New Black, I have to add Piper Chapman to the list.  Her story right now is a little silly, but I find the character hilarious.  

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1