Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Christmas Day

(edited)

regarding Henry -- there was an odd moment (that made me realize that what Fellowes intended us to know was not what we had seen) where Henry says to Mary that now that he's not a glamorous race car driver, he's got to do something to make him a worthy husband to her ... 

Which made me realize that I had not been SOLD on him as much of a glamorous anything .. If he were the Mario Andretti of his day, much less a Lucky Lindy, with that sort of "oh gosh" name recognition, I missed it ... how he made a living -- as in being paid by whom, for what, etc. escaped me entirely, in fact, he seemed very seat-of-the-pants and hands on (and a bottle of pop) ... Again a writing fail -- we were supposed to find the character Henry more interesting and intriguing than he seemed -- a pretty Ken-doll of a character for Mary to toy with. 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 7

My favorite part of the show was when the characters were singing to New Year's, and we got shots of all the different characters in their happiness. Isobel and Lord Merton was the one that made me happiest. I only wish Cora's mother could've appeared.

Have to say I was very happy to see Thomas take over for Carson. And it seemed as if they could actually have a positive relationship, with Carson reassuming the role for special occasions.

Am I the only one who thought the dinner where Bertie and Edith's engagement was announced was horribly done? When Robert tells Bertie's mother that this may be her last chance, the shot's not even focused on them.

Cora finding some fulfillment, Rose cringing at the idea of naming her child after Susan, and Violet breaking down into laughter over Spratt's "secret identity" were all fantastic moments.

I'd be up for a movie of Baxter-Moseley and Mr. Mason-Patmore marrying, Tom and the editor dating, and Thomas finally getting a love interest (yes, even if Violet isn't there). If there is anything else, I'll definitely be watching.

• Love 3

"I also can't believe that Anna would be able to keep working, they'd really allow the baby in the nursery."

Well, it's never too early to start learning how to valet. Master George can't dress himself!

• Love 14

Even Dickie's anemia couldn't resist the happy ending, and stopped being pernicious just in time.

Farewell, Downton Abby..I will miss you.

It's the best anemia ever!  Although if the diagnosis comes from Dr. Clarkson, wouldn't you get a third and even a fourth opinion?  It was touching that the villagers were so concerned that he wouldn't be there to treat them. 

So who's going to take care of that perfectly nice elderly couple now that Thomas has deserted them?

• Love 3

I really enjoyed it.   Since the very beginning I have always despised Edith and Thomas, and I was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked the happy endings they were given.  I think it does prove that people can change, and I liked the fact that were it not for Mary calling up Bertie, that Edith might have been a spinster forever.

It did look like everyone was happy, but I wanted even more.  I would have preferred if Violet had fired Denker once and for all and told her that she was tired of her meddling and her attitude.  I nearly spit out my Darjeeling when Denker told Spratt that he was jealous of her because she was interesting, exotic and attractive.  A perfect ending would have had Violet firing her.

I also didn't care for the fact that the nasty Amelia and Larry Grey got to keep the big house. When they said that it was Dickie's home, he should have said, yes, that's right, and it's no longer yours.  Then kick them out and give all the money to the hospital.

I will greatly miss (most of) these characters and I will greatly miss this show.  Hard to believe that it won't be coming back next season.

• Love 1

All in all, a happy ending for everyone (if bittersweet for Carson). The End of the Abbey's Road (it is sad to see a classy piece of Egghead TV [PBS] finally fade to black) had something for all of Downtonia, as Fellowes seemed to nod to the various audience segments who were rooting for various favorite characters:

* For once, Edith had a happily-ever-after, and she was the center of attention for the whole show. Edith has been the most miserable and yet one of the more sympathetic of characters. Many have been pulling for years for her to have a good outcome, and it finally happened

* Mary's atonement for her grievous sin was good. Not as believable, but good. Extra bonus points for becoming less viprous and warmer after marrying Henry. Although she was always Fellowes's favorite, her story, even the announcement of her being with child, was more background

* Baby Bates. After 7 years of marriage, Baby Bates arrived. With water broken in Mary's room. Let's hope that if there is a Downton movie, we don't get Young Bates doing time in juvie while being unjustly accused. Just. Don't.

* Robert seeing Cora as a leader. Her Ladyship might have been the most underserved of all the characters during the show's run. Cora in Season 1 was far more crafty and forceful, as also in Season 2. After that, it sure seemed like Fellowes reverted to the "dumb Yankees" approach, as Cora often sounded like a "bubble-headed bleach blond (comes on at 5)". It was good to see Lady Grantham get her moment in the sun, and be appreciated for it

* I don't begrudge Thomas his landing the butlership. This season has been about his lonely road and his road to redemption. Although he was the BEST. VILLAIN. EV-UH. ON. DOWNTON, it was good to see him migrate from cardboard cutout bad guy to reasonable citizen

* Bravo to Isobel (and Violet) for putting out (so to speak) the miserable Larry Gray and his shrewish, gold-digger wife). Poor old Clarkson. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride

* Daisy finally went to the farm. Should have happened long ago. A lot of left-handed compliments to Andy ("You could do worse"), Sort of weird though. Mrs. Patmore marrying Mr. Mason would kind of but not quite make her Daisy's mother-in-law

* Molesley and Baxter, Baxter and Molesley. The former butler, valet, butler, ditch-digger and Footman becomes a teacher full-time, and it's implied that the butt of Fellowes's jokes will be getting hitched with Baxter

* Spratt's social column. Eh, why not? There was plenty of happiness to go around

* Lots of kissing at the end. LOTS. 

Although I have seen some really excellent finales (TNG, Alias, Fringe), Downton's was one that seemed to appreciate its audience's tugs. It avoided conflict (what if Carlisle, Jane Moorsum, and O'Brien had shown-up?) and let key characters close their story arcs.

• Love 8

I know someone mentioned that all three children had lost a parent, but weren't all those actors wanting to get off the show for whatever reason? It's hard to blame the author for the plot when his actors desert him.

I think the show might have been fantastic if Matthew hadn't had to be killed because of the actor not signing. Same with Sybil which left Tom doing not much of anything.

• Love 2

Can someone explain Bertie's dear old mum?

Wasn't Bertie just the estate agent?  How come 1) she was already apparently totally familiar with that huge castle (“Mrs. Pelham will see you in the Yellow Drawing Room”) and 2) felt qualified to snarkily dictate to the Earl and Countess of Grantham and their daughter what was best for her kid and the castle.

If she’s a Mrs. Pelham and apparently doesn’t have a title, isn’t she overstepping just a bit with her high handed plans? 

And did she have seamstresses working overtime as soon as old Peter bit the dust to bring her wardrobe up to snuff?

• Love 4
(edited)

She probably had an annuity, much like Violet, and she acted as the hostess on behalf of Peter. She might of had a residential life interest, or was simply a welcome family guest who willingly performed a role.

Edited by MrsR
  • Love 3

I would have liked more of them and much less of Spratt and Denker.

For me, the best scenes in this show happen at Violet's home, and that would include Isobel, Denker, and Spratt.

Will Denker ever figure out that she's the mouse and Violet's the cat who loves toying with her?

There are only a few couples on this show that I cared about (none of them include Mary or Edith). One of them was Baxter and Mr. Molesley. The show sure kept me hanging.

• Love 1

I always thought the show should've ended with M&M's wedding -- I was pretty checked out after that, even before Matthew died (although after that,I stopped watching for awhile & just read recaps & rolled my eyes).  I remember the first two years of the series with great affection -- this was before it became A Really Big Thing.  When people I know started watching it, due to the buzz, during Season 3, I was all: Eh, make sure you start from the beginning!

I was so glad for Isobel & her long-suffering Merton, and Anna & her long-suffering Bates.  But during almost all of Thomas's scenes, I found myself tearing up, to the point of bawling my eyes out.  At one point, when he'd reached Maximum Evil, and was coming down the other side, I yearned for him to enjoy the fate of Fellowes' Elsie from Gosford Park: leave Blighty for Hollywood & become a Big Star! (or, the butler to a closeted Big Star).

This ending reminded me of the last few paragraphs of Jo's Boys, and How They Turned Out (the second sequel to Little Women).  Alcott tied up all the characters' fates, and concluded with (drastically paraphrased): "Now, with as many marriages & much success, and as few deaths as possible, may the lights dim and the curtain fall forever on the March family."

• Love 7

I also didn't care for the fact that the nasty Amelia and Larry Grey got to keep the big house. When they said that it was Dickie's home, he should have said, yes, that's right, and it's no longer yours.  Then kick them out and give all the money to the hospital.

My head canon about this is as follows:  Isobel and Dickie are perfectly happy with each other in her home, now their home.  Amelia and Larry are in the big house, but Dickie has taken his checkbook with him.  He does not pay their way, they foot their own bills, and that wasn't exactly what the two jerks expected.  Plus now he may be alive for a good long time.

• Love 18

That's usually a completely valid point, but we have been told Anna has an incontinent cervix and had a stitch in place, etc.  So whereas they would have done well to maybe throw in a call-back to that in some form or fashion, they had written in reason that Anna could expect a rapid delivery, I suppose.  

But it took me a moment to remember why Mary was pretty much immediately swinging into near tourniquet levels of medical intervention in her haste to get Anna directly into a bed less than a foot away.  At first I put it down to just reminding us that Mary actually is a really good friend to Anna on a lot of levels, but then recalled the "Oh...yeah.  Okay.  Incontinent cervix."  

That does explain the rush. I hadn't remembered that. I believe the term is "incompetent cervix" - though I think I like "incontinent" better - it sounds very similar and is actually more descriptive of what happens.

Anna was past 37 weeks, so likely the stitch had already been taken out.

I doubt Anna had the time with all the wedding hubbub to go to London to get the stitch out. Hopefully Isobel's doctor managed the snip before it progressed too far. Even after delivering two kids (in record time, like Anna), the thought of that stitch freaks me out more than regular childbirth.

• Love 1

God - I am going to miss MS - every single word/expression/laugh/gesture was pure gold.  I loved when she was laughing at the column in the newspaper - it was so - well, the Dowager.  

I would love to have her in my life - every snort, every roll of the eye, all of it - 

I realized after I watched that one of the MANY reasons I wish the show had been well written vs so badly was because I find it so enjoyable to watch a show that doesn't have all the new technology cluttering up the scenes and dialogue - there are so many shows where people are either answering their phones, making a call, texting, whatever - fooling with their tablets that watching a period piece where none of this stuff existed is so much more pleasing than it used to be and I have always loved period pieces - but, damn, why couldn't it have been better written without all the redundancy, etc.  What a shame. 

Yes, I know it was a grand success but just imagine it with good writing!  I have and have been wistful about not having it.

I'm fine with how it all ended even with someone given a death sentence suddenly having been misdiagnosed.  That was a treat, for a change, happy endings.  

And, in case anyone missed it:  things they were a changin' 

• Love 7

I don't know what I wanted for Mr. Mason (other than Daisy's sudden death).  He was my favourite character and I'm glad things turned out more decently than they could have for him.  I loved him in Horatio Hornblower and I loved him here.  Also, his new farmhouse was the most beautiful domicile on the show - my favourite scene was everyone sitting around the kitchen after they moved him.  I can totally imagine the scent of that room. 

• Love 8

I think if the show is willing to pretend that Edith managed to do things like take an interest in the "ward" of a local farmer, take her to live with her at the Abbey after showing way too much interest in her , causing the farmer's wife to have slow dissolution of sanity, that ended with her kidnapping the child and her husband having to give up his farm at local farmer's fete while Edith did everything but shriek "Where is the fruit of my  loins?  The former inhabitant of my womb??"  aloud for the village to see and hear,  with no one, apparently no one at all doing the math on "Hey, isn't that kid ...four....and showed up just at the time that Lady Edith came back from her six month absence abroa....HEY!"  Where her parents can both know about it, a couple of the servants and just about everyone who wasn't named Mary. 

Then Fellowes would bend the reality of the aristocracy enough to allow Bertie to adopt his wife's illegitimate child, that even his "Morality First!" mother was seen to be doting on, because in a world where breeding was everything, that's how that would work. 

So yup, Marigold.  Likely adopted in this, the world of Fellows.  AU of the real world of the aristocracy.  

God and the staging on his "Surprise! You're totally gonna live!  You only have the 'take some iron pills and eat a lot of fiber!" type of anemia, not the 'get your affairs in order!' sort....which I'm telling you in a church pew, at a family wedding, so that you'll be in the right place to give thanks, after stating that I'll be moving in a moment so that I won't be the ass-awkward third 'I asked her to marry me too, you know' wheel in this scene....." was killing me. 

OK that made me laugh so hard I literally started to cry.

The idiocy of the village and basically everyone in not figuring it out has been an ongoing bit of hilarity to me.

I wanted Baxter to catch the bouquet.

Me, three.

I will miss this show.. a lot of its plotlines were unbearably silly and Fellowe's optimistic Toryism as well, but the actors were always so good and the costumes so pretty I forgave it a lot!

• Love 5

I liked it.   I'm not very demanding.   Downton Abbey is comfort food.   I don't look for social relevance, or historical accuracy.  I like the gorgeous surroundings, the clothes, the social graces, the allure of a lost era.   The beautiful shots of Highclere Castle alone were worth the price of admission.

I laughed at Henry being broody at the afternoon picnic.   What a dilemma for him.   To marry up into a wealthy family and have to partake in tweedy rambles in the countryside, idle picnics and champagne toasts on the lawn.  Truly, he bore the weight of the world on his manly shoulders.

I never liked Thomas, but I must say, even my heart cracked a little when Master George said "Goodbye, Mr. Barrow."

Goodbye, indeed.

• Love 21

My favorite scene was when Violet and Isobel liberated Dickie from Mrs. Grey-nee-Cruikshank's Prison for Wayward Lords and Disobedient Fathers-In-Law. I think I might've actually cheered. They need to spin off a show in which Isobel and Violet dispense justice for crimes against etiquette--armed only with Violet's razor-sharp wit.

I enjoyed the rest of the episode, and I couldn't believe how sad I was at that final shot of the house. But I did think JF outdid himself in trying to set up so many happy endings. Glad Thomas got to come back and be the butler, happy that Edith told the truth to Bertie's mom and it didn't derail the marriage.

But when Bertie and Edith were at the altar, I had flashbacks to the Strallan situation, and I realized afterward I was holding my breath waiting for something bad to happen.

I also thought Anna had a baby way too quickly. When my son was born, my water broke but the baby didn't arrive for another 24 hours. I think TV too often uses the water-breaking as shorthand for "baby will be born in the next five minutes."

• Love 10

I mentioned how much Marigold looks like Bertie just as an aside (and as a reason Bertie's mom might bond with her), and it probably was just coincidental casting, but I could certainly imagine rumors that Bertie is the father. Conceivable imo that he and Edith could "adopt" her and possibly never even tell Marigold she was adopted (not that unusual to keep that a secret from the child)--more believable imo than Matthew's late fiancee's father leaving his estate to Matthew in the nick of time to save DA!

• Love 6

Shrimpie is the Marquess of Flintshire. 

I love this sentence.

Whilst looking at the Laura Carmichael and the two Marigold photos, I also saw cute ones of Michelle Dockery with the Georges, and JIm Carter with several of the kids.

I'm so going to miss seeing these characters, even if most of the last season wasn't so great.

• Love 2
Am I the only one who thought the dinner where Bertie and Edith's engagement was announced was horribly done? When Robert tells Bertie's mother that this may be her last chance, the shot's not even focused on them.

I was very confused about what was going on.  Was Bertie's mother the one who was supposed to make the announcement about their engagement?  I was expecting that Bertie, the new Marquess, would announce his own engagement, so at first I thought she was speaking to shut Bertie up about the engagement.  Then I realized Robert had been urging her to make the announcement so as to stay in Bertie's good graces.

• Love 1

But when Bertie and Edith were at the altar, I had flashbacks to the Strallan situation, and I realized afterward I was holding my breath waiting for something bad to happen.

I thought, "Watch, Michael Griggson will burst through the church doors shouting 'I'm not dead!'"

• Love 9
(edited)

Watched the finale tonight!

Biggest disappoints:

-Bates did not go on a murdering spree.

-Daisy did not die in a fire.

It's pretty disappointing. The only silver-lining out of either of those two things not happening is that Anna and Bates had a BOY whom they did not say the name. Therefore, I am declaring the child's name to officially be Norman. No one can dispute it but Julian Fellowes himself.

Other thoughts:

-Daisy can die in a fire. And get punched in the face. Repeatedly. It makes me sick thinking that Andy basically got paired up with her at the end. She only got interested in him when he started brushing her off, AND you could literally see the gears in her head click when Mr. Mason mentioned how nice it was to have free help.

-hated Daisy's new hairdo. Anna gave her the exact same haircut as Sybbie. SYBBIE.

-basically Mr. carson's and Mrs. hughe's marriage continues to be kind of awful (in one way or another). i did feel for Mr. carson when he had to retire though.

-The Thomas stuff was predictable.

-happy for Edith and Man-Edith, but upset that we got to see more of her wedding than Matthew and Mary's.

-glad to see Mrs. Patmore and Mr. Mason, Moseley and Baxter basically paired up in the end. And happy that Moseley took the job and Baxter decided to move on from the Coyle stuff.

-Mary and Talbot were YAWN. And Mary's pregnant? Joy.

-glad to see Rose and Atticus again!

-I really wish What's-his-face had written Larry and his evil wife out of his will or booted them out of his house. He could have stayed at Isobel's, but Those two got off way too easy.

-loved how Spratt finally got the last laugh (kind of). I was getting tired of Ms. Denker getting the upperhand with all her blackmail.

-I'm going to miss the Dowager on my screen.

Edited by HoodlumSheep

No. Not even Lord Fellowes.

Past that, though, she is the last of the show's three very different mothers-of-heirs-presumptives: Isobel, Mary, and Ma Pelham. For a model, she seems to lean more toward Mary than Isobel. Presumptive in her own right.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I know it was winter, but why were the wedding fashions so drab? Couldn't they break out some color?

And why on earth did Robert walk his daughter down the aisle in shirtsleeves??? Scene rehearsal, maybe?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/features/slideshow/downton-abbey-s6-e9-edith-bertie-wedding/

Judging from Sybbie's wreath, she and Marigold were apparently in the wedding.

Edited because shirtsleeve needed to be plural.

Edited by jschoolgirl

Wasn't Bertie just the estate agent?  How come 1) she was already apparently totally familiar with that huge castle (“Mrs. Pelham will see you in the Yellow Drawing Room”) and 2) felt qualified to snarkily dictate to the Earl and Countess of Grantham and their daughter what was best for her kid and the castle.

If she’s a Mrs. Pelham and apparently doesn’t have a title, isn’t she overstepping just a bit with her high handed plans?

And did she have seamstresses working overtime as soon as old Peter bit the dust to bring her wardrobe up to snuff?

She definitely doesn't have a title. Her husband, Bertie's dad, was Peter Pelham's second cousin, so if he were still alive when Peter died, she would have become Marchioness then. But as it is, she has no title anyway since Bertie was the heir.

Given that Peter seemed to travel quite frequently, maybe she was allowed to sleep over there when the castle wasn't being rented out? Who knows. Bertie was on really good terms with Peter, it's possible Bertie and his mother were invited over there occasionally by Peter.

Of course, I'd imagine as soon as she heard Peter was dead, she probably sprinted to the castle with the blue prints and a tape measure...

• Love 6

I also thought Anna had a baby way too quickly. When my son was born, my water broke but the baby didn't arrive for another 24 hours. I think TV too often uses the water-breaking as shorthand for "baby will be born in the next five minutes."

A friend of mine gave birth on the bathroom floor, less than 20 minutes after her water broke. Sometimes it really is that quick.

She definitely doesn't have a title. Her husband, Bertie's dad, was Peter Pelham's second cousin, so if he were still alive when Peter died, she would have become Marchioness then. But as it is, she has no title anyway since Bertie was the heir.

Given that Peter seemed to travel quite frequently, maybe she was allowed to sleep over there when the castle wasn't being rented out? Who knows. Bertie was on really good terms with Peter, it's possible Bertie and his mother were invited over there occasionally by Peter.

Of course, I'd imagine as soon as she heard Peter was dead, she probably sprinted to the castle with the blue prints and a tape measure...

I imagine that Bertie and his parents were on good terms with Peter Pelham and his family and spent a fair amount of time at the house - in the same way that Isobel spends a fair amount of time at Downton and knows the house well. Bertie was clearly very close to Peter and that relationship didn't develop out of thin air. So it seems reasonable to suppose that the two families spent enough time together for Bertie's mum to be familiar with the house - even if they only visited at Christmas and special occasions during Bertie's childhood, she seemed really into the proper etiquette and whatnot, so probably always paid special attention!

• Love 1

I thought this last episode was pretty predictable, though I won't begrudge JF his happy ending.

It does annoy me when everyone in a small circle is paired up at the end (looking at you, JK Rowling). Really there is NO ONE in town that Daisy might have had her eye on, or Mosely might have met a pretty, young teacher?

Another annoying thing was Anna's water breaking. It's a castle, for cripes sake, let her take a few steps to another bedroom! She's not going to give birth that very minute.

I'm going to miss Isobel. I enjoyed her character, her diologues, her way of delivering her lines.

Loved that they were carrying that puppy everywhere.

I'm going to miss the fashions & the beautiful homes. I may be weird, but I just loved that shot of the outside of Isobel's house. I may have to cross stitch it.

And yes, my grandparents were married in 1926 & grandma had a hideous headpiece & veil. Edith's was a big improvement!

• Love 4

I imagine that Bertie and his parents were on good terms with Peter Pelham and his family and spent a fair amount of time at the house - in the same way that Isobel spends a fair amount of time at Downton and knows the house well. Bertie was clearly very close to Peter and that relationship didn't develop out of thin air. So it seems reasonable to suppose that the two families spent enough time together for Bertie's mum to be familiar with the house - even if they only visited at Christmas and special occasions during Bertie's childhood, she seemed really into the proper etiquette and whatnot, so probably always paid special attention!

Mostly what I said lol Though I do wonder on how good terms Bertie's mother was with Peter, given her distaste for his lifestyle. She probably was nice to his face, though behind his back...which means, watch your own back, Edith.

• Love 2
(edited)

I am not convinced that Henry and Mary will have a happy marriage. All during the courtship when everyone was urging Mary to accept him, I was uncomfortable. He had the right birth and background, but apparently his family had not been too careful with money, and it had slipped away. He was pursuing Mary, i thought, just to replenish his family's coffers. He has no training or money, so he is desperate to marry Mary at every turn. Citing love and a strong attraction to her, he is so anxious to pin her down that he has a valid marriage license and all the requisite signatures and approvals for insta-marriage, once she agrees. Isn't that slightly suspicious, at least?

Then almost immediately after they marry, she is pregnant, so that the commitment and bond is strengthened. In the meantime, Henry, like a typical gold-digger,  has grown bored and is still attracted to cars, but knows he cannot risk upsetting the bonds he has been nurturing with Mary. Going into business with Tom, her brother-in-law, forges a new and different family bond that will tie his fortunes in with the Crawleys'. I see Henry playing a chess game, planning every move and using the Crawleys. If their child is a boy, I can even see him trying to overshadow and influencing George, the legitimate heir, for his own benefit. The Crawleys have permitted a snake into their bosom. And Mary, who is still competing with Edith, is able to appear happy and a new bride too--although the reality is. I'm sure, much more ominous and problematic.

Edited by P3pp3rb1rd
  • Love 4
(edited)

but apparently his family had not been too careful with money, and it had slipped away

Was that ever confirmed or mentioned?

At the end of the day, given how nicely everything wrapped up in the finale, I think looking for ominous or nefarious futures for any of the characters is stretching things a bit much. I just take it all on the (basic) face value JF gave in the finale; everyone (mostly) gets their fairy tale happy ending. And nothing deeper than that.

I mean, I'm honestly surprised JF didn't have everyone (upstairs, downstairs, assorted family members and hanger-on) gather around the Christmas tree after Edith's wedding, then have Oprah pop out from the behind the Christmas tree telling everyone individually "You get a happy ending!" "You get a happy ending!" and so on...

For the record, I'm fine with mostly everyone getting a happy ending. Carson's was a little bittersweet, Denker got her comeuppance, and Clarkson lost Isobel for good (assuming he still carried a torch for her), but everyone else got to be happy.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 3
(edited)

I wonder how many more seasons would have been needed to include WWII?

I wonder if a reunion is possible?

regarding Henry -- there was an odd moment (that made me realize that what Fellowes intended us to know was not what we had seen) where Henry says to Mary that now that he's not a glamorous race car driver, he's got to do something to make him a worthy husband to her ...

Which made me realize that I had not been SOLD on him as much of a glamorous anything .. If he were the Mario Andretti of his day, much less a Lucky Lindy, with that sort of "oh gosh" name recognition, I missed it ... how he made a living -- as in being paid by whom, for what, etc. escaped me entirely, in fact, he seemed very seat-of-the-pants and hands on (and a bottle of pop) ... Again a writing fail -- we were supposed to find the character Henry more interesting and intriguing than he seemed -- a pretty Ken-doll of a character for Mary to toy with.

Instead of a Ken-doll she gets a Ken-dull

Edited by BrianJ62
  • Love 2
(edited)

yes, and being a "race car driver" seemed so terribly dillettantish ... even more so than being, say, a baseball player (who are paid salary commensurate to talent) or a golf-pro (where there are purses to be won) ... but I'd be hard pressed to be fascinated, much less drawn to a race car driver, golf pro or baseball player as my dinner companion. 

I had just chalked Henry up as Mary's reward for having "done her duty" married Matthew (who inherited a fortune) and produced an heir and secured Downton's future leaving her free to marry for love or infatuation, sexual attraction, etc. (Rather as how family fortune and respectability had freed Soames and Winifred Forsyte to marry Irene and Darte respectively and disastrously "for love" ).  Since the Crawleys are notoriously unintellectual, marrying a "sports figure" would seem more appropriate than marrying a someone artistic or clever. 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 1

I nearly spit out my Darjeeling when Denker told Spratt that he was jealous of her because she was interesting, exotic and attractive.

I laughed at that as well.  Not being familiar with the actress at all I Googled her and was surprised by how pretty she is in real life.

It seems to be an unpopular opinion but I somewhat enjoyed the ridiculous banter between Denker and Spratt.  It was better comic relief, to me, than continuing to make my beloved Molesley a bumbling fool.

• Love 8
(edited)

I know it was winter, but why were the wedding fashions so drab? Couldn't they break out some color?

And why on earth did Robert walk his daughter down the aisle in shirtsleeves??? Scene rehearsal, maybe?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/features/slideshow/downton-abbey-s6-e9-edith-bertie-wedding/

Judging from Sybbie's wreath, she and Marigold were apparently in the wedding.

Edited because shirtsleeve needed to be plural.

I loved that they included "Golly gumdrops" in the caption with the shirtsleeves photo.

I liked Edith's wedding dress, especially the scalloped lace hem. The headpiece and veil were a different story. In the shots at DA after the wedding she was wearing a different headpiece which looked a lot better. I loved the pic of Laura Carmichael chatting with Maggie Smith during a break.

Edited by dangwoodchucks
  • Love 2

At the end of the day, given how nicely everything wrapped up in the finale, I think looking for ominous or nefarious futures for any of the characters is stretching things a bit much. I just take it all on the (basic) face value JF gave in the finale; everyone (mostly) gets their fairy tale happy ending. And nothing deeper than that.

Yes, but then again Cora did say to Robert something to the effect of we never know what's coming.  But we the viewers know that the Depression is coming, and Hitler, and much misery.  I guess we can hope that the bonds we were shown them forging will help them face all of it. 

• Love 3

I think that's what we were supposed to take from Robert and Cora's conversation. Despite what will come down the line, Downton will thrive and survive. Maybe not as opulently as it has in the past, but the future will be a positive one for them.

• Love 1
(edited)

One thing I really liked about the finale (and I will not say this well, no doubt, but oh well)--for five or so years we have seen DA as the to-die-for home of the Crawleys living the life of the Upstairs of the wealthy entitled British. And for me they were mightily diminished (in a good way) by the finale as Robert and Cora pulled into the grounds of Brancaster Castle and we stepped into that Upstairs world, with many elegant multiples of the Crawley servants and rooms and land. Whoa. For me, these scenes made Robert and Cora more human than anything previous to this episode. (I know the Crawleys were guests at the castle the previous season under different auspices but now Edith's fiance had taken over and so I was able to see the comparison between the Brancaster and Downton lifestyles more clearly). It made Downton look downright cozy (and the management of its future and its survival easier to envision)!

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 8

Perhaps I should put this in Unpopular opinions, but I agreed with Robert for being annoyed with Cora & her hospital business.

He tells her that Edith is engaged & they are going to meet Mrs Bertie, & the first thing out of Cora's mouth is that she has a hospital meeting.

Then with a house full of guests & the day before the wedding, instead of helping Edith with the flowers, she runs off to another hospital meeting.

At any other time I would say "bravo Cora" but not when a wedding of this importance is going on. And its EDITH finally getting her happy ending! Reschedule a few meetings.

• Love 2

Brancaster Castle gave me the creeps as a residence.  A museum, a historical place to tour and learn about like the Alhambra or something, fine.  But not to live there.  I think Downton is more livable but also way too museum-like for me.  Give me Violet's or Isobel's any day of the week.  Or Mr. Mason's. 

• Love 6
(edited)

A friend of mine gave birth on the bathroom floor, less than 20 minutes after her water broke. Sometimes it really is that quick.

My first was born 40 minutes after the water broke, my second 10 minutes after the OB said "well, it's going to be hours" and stepped out of the room. He barely got his gloves on in time to catch her.

Even so, I agree that Anna could easily have been moved to another bed. Although I enjoy seeing MY experience played out on TV, I do think TV overplays the sudden birth bit. Still, with Anna's condition, I think the speed might actually be realistic.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 2
That does explain the rush. I hadn't remembered that. I believe the term is "incompetent cervix" - though I think I like "incontinent" better - it sounds very similar and is actually more descriptive of what happens.

That was the kindest correction ever, clanstarling, thank you and you're right, it's incompetent cervix, not a cervix that needs Depends :-)  

Also, thanks lucindabelle, nice to be able to return the favor on occasion :-)  

God believe it or not, yes, probably:  Cousin Shamed by Prudery, who it was strongly implied was gay, may not have had a mother available to be in residence as the Dowager anything.  So it seems that Bertie's mother, as the estate agent's mother, likely presided over all the things that the estate would be called upon to do.  

Doesn't quite explain how she managed to adjust so thoroughly to being the Grand Dame of the joint to that swanning extent, but at least it does explain why she was so ultra-comfortable there.  

The part I couldn't explain was everyone at that dinner relating to her as if had always seemingly been so, that she held an exalted social position, so you have me there, but at least it makes some sense (if you cock your head just right and squint) that the servants seemed so very comfortable with her being in residence and she seemed practiced at running the household.   Can't explain that very grand wardrobe, but maybe she'd always had it.  Even with the heir being absent, there would still be expectations for the estate to do specific things, preside over specific things.  

Apparently in a chandelier's worth of sparkly things to boot. 

• Love 2

I laughed at that as well.  Not being familiar with the actress at all I Googled her and was surprised by how pretty she is in real life.

It seems to be an unpopular opinion but I somewhat enjoyed the ridiculous banter between Denker and Spratt.  It was better comic relief, to me, than continuing to make my beloved Molesley a bumbling fool.

I looked her up on IMDb and hadn't even recognized her as having been in 'Brassed Off'. She played one of the band's groupies, or cheerleaders if you will.

I'm In the minority but I liked Spratt. The actor had the most marvelous facial expressions.

I haven't been a huge fan of Spratt, but he grew on me (far more than Denker ever did) in the last few episodes. And I loved that his writing the column was the catalyst for Violet putting Denker in her place. 

I didn't mind Edith's wedding gown, though I didn't love it, but I liked the gown she wore for the almost-wedding to Strallan much better. I guess, as someone said upthread, it was a matter of the styles of the different eras. But the rest of the fashions from Season 6 have been stunning. I wouldn't really want to go back in time and live in the 1920s, but I wouldn't mind wearing some of the clothes.

• Love 2
(edited)

I figured at Bertie's level the wedding would be at his site. Like Prince William didn't get married at Kate's hometown church.

I think traditionally the bride's family pays for and hosts the wedding. A marquess is a higher rank than an earl but probably not a factor in that particular tradition since the bride would still be living at home up until the wedding day. The exception would be if one was marrying into the royal family - and neither Edith nor Bertie are royalty. 

We didn't really get a lot of insight into the Pellham family dynamics. When Bertie was first introduced it was as a poor relation to the Marquess, though close enough to act as the agent and apparently fairly good friends. In his own words he didn't have much to offer when he first proposed to Edith so I can assume his immediate family (parents) were not wealthy enough to leave him any considerable fortune. That he was actually first in line to inherit his cousin's title - even if said cousin was expected to have children eventually - is a bit inconsistent with the way he was introduced to us. To even be related to the Marquess would have made the Pellhams a well respected family if nothing else. I think Berties mum was just the type to put on airs and had no trouble slipping into the role of Grande Damme once Bertie inherited the title.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1
When Robert tells Bertie's mother that this may be her last chance, the shot's not even focused on them.

I suspect this was dubbed in afterwards because whatever scene they actually shot did not work.  So they cobbled that in.

"Surprise! You're totally gonna live!  You only have the 'take some iron pills and eat a lot of fiber!" type of anemia

I'm not sure they had the pills yet -- did they?  It was a pretty gross regimen of eating a half a lb of ground liver a day, if I recall correctly.  Ick.

I do think of Shrimpie fondly, mostly because we were introduced to him by the Dowager making her first phone call, screeching “Shrimpie?!!!” into that infernal contraption.

Perhaps I should put this in Unpopular opinions, but I agreed with Robert for being annoyed with Cora & her hospital business.

He tells her that Edith is engaged & they are going to meet Mrs Bertie, & the first thing out of Cora's mouth is that she has a hospital meeting.

But it’s not like it’s a half dozen people sitting around a conference table – it looked like the whole village was invited. Not the kind of thing you just move around so you can catch an earlier train.

• Love 3

I think Berties mum was just the type to put on airs and had no trouble slipping into the role of Grande Damme once Bertie inherited the title

I agree - the Hyacinth Bucket of Downton!

• Love 8