Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Christmas Day

Here are some portions of the wedding of Bertie and Elizabeth on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v36LiBNhzpo

Speaking of Marigold, it's a good thing that kid is so placid considering all the changes she's been through in her short life.  First, she's Swiss, then she's the daughter of a Yorkshire tenant farmer, then she's the ward of the Earl of Grantham and finally she's presumably going to be the adopted daughter of the Marquess and Marchioness of Hexham.  

But titles are becoming less important, and Edith adores Marigold. Not only that, she is an heiress. And judging by the flat Michael could afford on the profits of the magazine, we can expect her to be a pretty wealthy one as well.

• Love 3

It has nothing to do with how much Edith adores Marigold. In the world the characters live in, that of aristocrats, lineage is still very important. Changes don't happen overnight. They are still decades and decades away from titles being less important. Heck, some would argue that the UK is still a society based on class.

She will still be treated differently than her siblings, though, since they will all be titled. Obviously to Edith and Bertie and the rest of the Crawleys, there won't be a distinction. The outside world will see her a different way. But as someone adopted by a marquess, she will be better off than your average orphan, of course.

• Love 2

There will be a slight distinction, but she will always be wealthy and from a good family. And the fact Edith adores her means that she will make sure there will be no favouritism. And the aristocracy was changing. If it had been before the war, maybe it would have been more problematic.

And just following on from the belief that in reality Edith could never have married Bertie, it's actually more realistic than you'd think. In a time where a lot of aristocrats were losing their wealth, Bertie is not only a highly ranked aristocrat, but extremely wealthy. As such, people would be far more forgiving for any scandals than in a family that has no money and is relatively low ranked. In fact, Victorian stuffiness was more prevalent in the middle classes, as they lacked money and title to compensate for scandals.

• Love 2

This is still the 1920s in the UK. While Edith of course wouldn't show favoritism, society was still judging women harshly. Edith's and Bertie's position and money would provide some protection, but for the most part, Marigold still won't be regarded as highly socially as her siblings. A marriage to the actual child of a Marquess and Marchioness is more desirable to a family than the adopted child of the same. Again, things are changing, and they do even after WWII, but they're still slow to change in the UK with regards to a child out of wedlock. Marigold will be seen as someone raised by a good family, but she won't be seen as being completely a part of that family. Lineage is still lineage, after all. Hell, Marigold might not even be able to presented to court since she won't be considered nobility.

If things were changing as much and as fast as you claim they were, then Edith and everyone wouldn't keep continuing the charade of Marigold being some orphan she and Bertie have adopted, she would have said to the world that Marigold was her biological daughter, she was born out of wedlock with another man, and Bertie was going to be her step-dad, not adopting her as if she was someone else's child. Of course Marigold will have it better than many people who aren't rich and noble, but she will be seen as being different than her siblings.

I do feel bad for Edith, especially when Marigold starts asking her why her other sisters (if she and Bertie have any) are called Lady and she isn't. When she is older, Edith might tell her the truth, but until then, they'll have to keep the charade going.

• Love 1

Things weren't changing that fast, keeping quiet about Marigold's past would save a lot of hassle. But Bertie marrying Edith despite the risk of scandal is more likely than some are saying. And it may be more desirable to marry a Marquess's daughter or son, but it's not like most marriages were being arranged at that point, and as I said, Marigold is an heiress and therefore still quite a catch. She has connections and wealth and as such will be viewed as a desirable match. If someone were to fall in love with her, then it wouldn't matter if her sisters are titled.

It would be awkward for Edith to tell Marigold why she isn't titled, but as long as the family and servants don't treat her worse; which we know Edith won't let them do, Marigold should be fine as it is her family who matter the most. Besides, equal titles doesn't result in equal treatment. Edith was titled as well as her sisters, and she certainly wasn't treated equally to them. And I think having that experienced what it is like being the least loved child, she would go out of her way to make sure none if her children feel inferior.

• Love 2

I never said Marigold wasn't a catch, just that her siblings would be more of a catch, and more socially accepted. Why settle for an heiress when you can get a titled heiress? Again, this isn't necessarily how Edith's family would treat Marigold, just how others would. Marriages weren't arranged, but family influence still was important, even if the Crawley sisters seem to be atypical of how things were back then.

I always thought most titled nobility gave their bastard kids away, instead of trying to gaslight the rest of the world.

Anyway, lets agree to disagree, since neither of us will probably convince the other.

Edited by AndySmith

Maybe Marigold can move to New York where her great-uncle has connections (providing that they don't lose everything with the 1929 crash).  New York society probably wouldn't care that much.   

• Love 3

I thought that after (maybe during) WWII, they stopped presenting at court as the monarchs thought it seemed ridiculous in light of what was going on. How old would Marigold be in that era? Being presented at court lost its importance. I would think that Edith would make Marigold the inheritor of the mag and the money she inherited from Gregson--which seems substantial. 

Edited by Atlanta

Finally got a chance to watch, yay spring break, boo almost over. Yes, JF tied up lots of loose ends, but I did love some of the tie ups. Thomas will be to George what Carson was to Mary, unconditional love. Cora is now the female leader of the county, replacing the Dowager. Tom and Henry have a huge bromance, but due to Tom and Mary's combined smarts, Downton will survive the crash and WW 2. Edith and Bertie will be happy, Mary has mellowed and the downstairs folks are pairing off like Noah's Ark. I'd love to see a prequel, a young Cora and Robert.

• Love 2

Maybe Marigold can move to New York where her great-uncle has connections (providing that they don't lose everything with the 1929 crash).  New York society probably wouldn't care that much.   

Arguably New York society cared even more.  Otherwise, they wouldn't have been marrying off their daughters to dimwitted bankrupt nobles for the past 50 years.

Sometimes new money, because it is new, is much snobbier than old, mostly gone, money.

• Love 2

I would think that Edith would make Marigold the inheritor of the mag and the money she inherited from Gregson--which seems substantial.

Isn't that the main reason why Edith decided to "reclaim" Marigold from the Schroeders? IIRC, she wanted Marigold one day to be able to inherit the fortune, property, and magazine that Michael had left to Edith. And speaking of a substantial inheritance, I wonder who Rosamund will choose as her heir(s). She's got quite a lot of money and a gorgeous townhouse in an ultra-posh part of London that has to end up with someone(s) else someday.

I thought it was oddly sweet and kind of hilarious that Henry calls Edith "Edie." I like him, and I like Mary when she's interacting with him. His generally irreverent nature is endearing.

So glad that Lord Merton and Isobel finally married. It is so obvious that he adores her, and I find him very handsome too. Since he handed everything over to Larry on his way out, does that mean that he and Isobel are living on whatever inheritance she received from Matthew's father? 

I found the "passing of the baton" moment between Violet and Cora incredibly touching and frankly long overdue. I have to admire Cora's forbearance; I don't think that I would have suffered Violet's insistence on remaining the queen bee of Downton as sanguinely as Cora has done for 30-plus years.

Edited by arty
  • Love 3

Lady Diana Spencer wasn't a commoner - but Kate Middleton was when she married Prince William, and there was plenty written in the press about that. You may be conflating the two, perhaps?

I realize wikipedia isn't the best source but I'm not sure what site is considered to be reputable when it comes to this question. Here's the relevant quote:

"Diana was the first commoner to marry an heir to the British throne in 300 years. Charles' brothers also married commoners: Andrew, Duke of York, married Sarah Ferguson in 1986, and his youngest brother, Edward, Earl of Wessex, married Sophie Rhys-Jones in 1999."

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana,_Princess_of_Wales

I'm reading at other sites too that a commoner is simply somebody who isn't considered a royal. The main reason it stood out to me was because I remember it being brought up during the engagement of Kate and William and people saying that the distinction was that Diana was a daughter of the nobility whereas Kate was considered to be middle or upper middle class depending on how snobby a person is. Articles talked about Elizabeth Woodville and Anne Boleyn as comparisons. It seems like both ideas are correct it just depends on how technical a person wants to be. I don't think there are any working class commoners who have married into the royal family. 

So Diana was both nobility and commoner at the same time before her marriage. Or, the daughter of nobility, I guess. Interesting.

Here are a few sites detailing the season in London.

http://www.thehistorybox.com/ny_city/society/printerfriendly/nycity_society_london_season_article0008.htm

http://www.literary-liaisons.com/article024.html

Basically, an upper class meat/marriage market. The season did begin declining after WWI, as there were now less eligible bachelors. Plus, as some of the nobility began losing their fortunes, the events themselves started becoming less private and more public. Prior to WWI, the more exclusive events tended to be held at private homes. In 1958, Queen Elizabeth II ended the presenting of Debutantes to the royals at court (though the season itself still continues to this day).

When Sybbie, George, and Marigold are old enough to attend, it would probably be a very different season than the ones their mothers experienced.

So Diana was both nobility and commoner at the same time before her marriage. Or, the daughter of nobility, I guess. Interesting.

Here are a few sites detailing the season in London.

http://www.thehistorybox.com/ny_city/society/printerfriendly/nycity_society_london_season_article0008.htm

http://www.literary-liaisons.com/article024.html

Basically, an upper class meat/marriage market. The season did begin declining after WWI, as there were now less eligible bachelors. Plus, as some of the nobility began losing their fortunes, the events themselves started becoming less private and more public. Prior to WWI, the more exclusive events tended to be held at private homes. In 1958, Queen Elizabeth II ended the presenting of Debutantes to the royals at court (though the season itself still continues to this day).

When Sybbie, George, and Marigold are old enough to attend, it would probably be a very different season than the ones their mothers experienced.

There wouldn't have been much of a season for the kids.  Between Sybbie and Marigold, only Sybbie could have possibly been presented before the start of WWII.  Was there even a season during the war?  And Mary's Fetus would not be of age until the tail end of the war. 

How old would they have been at the start of the war? The season was suspended during WWII, like it was during WWI, but I'm not sure exactly what years it was suspended.

It wasn't unheard of some girls debuting at season if they were 17 or even 16 years old, depending on how "mature" they were...

So PBS re-aired the Christmas episode last night and showed two scenes that were not in the original airing:

- Bertie’s mother talking to Bertie about Edith being damaged goods after Edith reveals her secret.  

- Edith talking to Robert and Cora telling them she told Bertie’s mother the truth about Marigold.

I live in LA and neither of these scenes were shown in when aired two weeks ago.  I have on my dvr but since this was my third or fourth time watching, I was surprised to see these two scenes.  I will watch from my dvr again tonight to check.  Anyone else notice this?

How old would they have been at the start of the war? The season was suspended during WWII, like it was during WWI, but I'm not sure exactly what years it was suspended.

It wasn't unheard of some girls debuting at season if they were 17 or even 16 years old, depending on how "mature" they were...

George and Sybbie would be around 18, Marigold around 16 and Mary's Fetus around 12 or 13.

So PBS re-aired the Christmas episode last night and showed two scenes that were not in the original airing:

- Bertie’s mother talking to Bertie about Edith being damaged goods after Edith reveals her secret.  

- Edith talking to Robert and Cora telling them she told Bertie’s mother the truth about Marigold.

I live in LA and neither of these scenes were shown in when aired two weeks ago.  I have on my dvr but since this was my third or fourth time watching, I was surprised to see these two scenes.  I will watch from my dvr again tonight to check.  Anyone else notice this?

I'm pretty sure the NYC station included both of those scenes in the original airing.

• Love 1

George and Sybbie would be around 18, Marigold around 16 and Mary's Fetus around 12 or 13.

Sybbie is born in May 1920, George in September 1921, Marigold probably in January 1923 (as Edith became pregnant in April 1922) , Mary's child with Talbot perhaps in the middle of 1926 

So George, Sybbie, and possibly Marigold would be attending the last of the pre-WWII seasons.

Can Sybbie attend the season as her status is only middle class according to her father? And would Tom even want her to?

As for Marigold, she is probably yet in the school.  

The problem for Marigold will come later in life, when people will treat her siblings differently than they treat her.

No doubt, but it works both ways. To people who value lineage, Marigold will be inferior than her titled siblings. But what if she doesn't value people like that but wants to socialize with much more interesting people like George Orwell? That she can easily to do than her siblings. Because of their rank, they will also have a barrier when dealing with common people, but Marigold can do it naturally.   

Especially George and Edith's (possible) eldest son will be tied to to the estates they will inherit and they would be brought to fulfill their duty. Marigold will be free to chose her profession and to live her life as she pleases.

As for marriage, if some boring lord doesn't regard Marigold as a suitable wife, she will find a much interesting husband among self-made men.     

• Love 4

Sybbie could attend certain events like dinner parties, luncheons, the occasional ball, etc, given her connection to the Crawleys and Pelhams, but she couldn't be presented at court.

To people who value lineage

Which is still a lot of people in the UK, at this point...

if she doesn't value people like that but wants to socialize with much more interesting people like George Orwell? That she can easily to do than her siblings. Because of their rank, they will also have a barrier when dealing with common people,

Maybe, maybe not. Did the nobility at the time look down on people in the arts? I'm just basing that on Gosford Park, since none of the "upstairs" people in that movie seemed to care or were impressed that a famous actor was staying with them. Granted, the "upstairs" group in that movie were some really horrible people...

Edited by AndySmith

Did the nobility at the time look down on people in the arts?

There was some distaste over inviting Nellie Melba to dinner at Downton, as her profession was giving public performances. Robert made a related comment to her at dinner, I think. Or maybe it was about having her perform there at all. The other horrid event of that episode unfortunately cast a huge shadow on Kiri Te Kewana's appearance on the show.

• Love 1

Both those scenes were shown on Maryland Public Television during the original broadcast.  Maybe it was just your local PBS station which cut them?

I thought Sybbie could be presented if she had an aristocratic sponsor? Marchioness Edith could always sponsor her esp since she's her aunt and Sybbie is half aristocrat. Of course "Mr Selfridge" is just a TV show so I don't know how much is based on reality and not, but Lady Loxley presented Selfridge's daughter at court. The daughter was getting snubbed at school and thought the other girls would treat her better if she had been at court.

"Marchioness Edith"? Don't let the Dowager catch you addressing Edith like that, you'll have her clutching at her pearls ;)

Here is an interesting account of the season in 1939, by someone who experienced it...obviously, rose colored glasses may apply.

As for Sybbie...technically, she wouldn't be allowed to be presented at court, as per different sources, though there were occasional exceptions. Traditionally, you either had to be the daughter of nobility (daughters of baronets and knights were also allowed) or from certain professions, which included daughters of the clergy, military and naval officers, and of physicians and barristers (not solicitors or general practitioners). Some sources say daughters of bankers were allowed as well. However, as time went on, wealth and connections did allow some people to bend the rules and have their daughters presented. It's possible Sybbie's family ties (to the Crawleys and Pelhams) might have also allowed her to be presented as well. But technically, she wouldn't be allowed to be presented.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 2

But titles are becoming less important, and Edith adores Marigold. Not only that, she is an heiress. And judging by the flat Michael could afford on the profits of the magazine, we can expect her to be a pretty wealthy one as well.

I like to imagine that due to Edith and Bertie being progressive types, Marigold will, if she chooses, get a good education and go on to lead a fascinating life. As the "adopted" daughter of a Marquess with an inheritance of her own, she might also be quite attractive to younger sons of the nobility. 

• Love 3

People aren't going to be rude to Marigold or treat her poorly, that is just bad manners. People who do are people like Larry Grey and such. Marigold has both wealth and connections, so people who care about these things are going to treat her very well indeed. I certainly don't think Marigold has much to complain about. She has a doting family, lives in Hogwarts, is an heiress and will have opportunities many girls her age will never have. Plus she lives in Hogwarts.

• Love 8

Its all depends, Marigold is going to have some points in her favor, she is going to be the "adopted" daughter of a powerful and rich marquess, i doubt that "low" tittled men like Larry Grey would say anything in front of her or towards Edith or Bertie, they know one of their "job" is being in good gracious with a powerful lord, so that is a defense for her in the future. Also, even if she was the legitimate daughter of Bertie and Edith, she wouldn inherit anything or very little, the whole system of the english aristocracy is that the older son gets everything and his brothers and sisters a little. Marigold doesnt have those complications because Edith stated that she works the magazine to some days gave it to Marigold, so, Marigold´s inheritance is going to come from Edith and also from Bertie. And the show gave us clear clues that Bertie is confortable with Marigold in his house and also his mother, so i doubt that he or his mother allow that somebody there could do to her some damage. And Edith also said that she want a propper education for her daughter, so Marigold possibly is going to go to some very very good school and later to college, and all this is going to happen when Britain is in the ww2, in that time people had more important issues than the origin of some girl, also the whoe attitude of the country is going to be different.  

But there is also dangers, if somebody goes with the secret to the papers or say it in public, that could ruin Marigold, for that reason Mary´s actions sabotaging Marigold were so despicable, because she was not only hurting Edith she was also hurting Marigold future, for example she didnt know if Bertie would speak to others about Marigold and even not knowing that she did it anyways. But the logical thing is that Brancaster servants of some people close to Bertie and Edith are going to gossip but that is inevitable (in the same way the Downton servants gossip about the family when they are downstairs), but at least are only gossip and somehow could be limited to a certain number of persons or a place.  

• Love 1

I wonder if Edith would have connections in the women's magazine world outside of London.  With family connections in New York, once Marigold grows up, perhaps Edith and her uncle could be able to get Marigold a job at, say, Town & Country or some other "respectable" publication? 

I just realized that Marigold is a (fictitious) contemporary of Helen Gurly Brown.  Not that Marigold would work at Cosmo (though Cosmo was a "respectable" publication until Helen arrived)...

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 1

Sybbie is born in May 1920, George in September 1921, Marigold probably in January 1923 (as Edith became pregnant in April 1922) , Mary's child with Talbot perhaps in the middle of 1926 

Can Sybbie attend the season as her status is only middle class according to her father? And would Tom even want her to?

As for Marigold, she is probably yet in the school.

My late father was born in 1920 and died in 2006. Along the way he got comfortable with microwaves, computers, cable TV, the Internet. Basically, he was about five years older than don draper. Fascinating thing to keep in mind. All of these children will experience Most liekely the entire 20th century and well into the 21st. My uncle born in 1925 is stil alive and well with all his faculties and living in his own house, not a community.

• Love 4

My late father was born in 1920 and died in 2006. Along the way he got comfortable with microwaves, computers, cable TV, the Internet. Basically, he was about five years older than don draper. Fascinating thing to keep in mind. All of these children will experience Most liekely the entire 20th century and well into the 21st. My uncle born in 1925 is stil alive and well with all his faculties and living in his own house, not a community.

My paternal grandmother just turned 90 last month (i.e. she shares the same birth year as Mary's Fetus)!  I wasn't at her party - she's in Hong Kong - but my mom told me that she's still extremely active and refuses any kind of help (we are all worried about her).  She mostly lives alone, too. 

• Love 1

I'm dragging my mom to two plays tomorrow. And to get my credentials at tribeca film festival too. Up seniors! When I covered the senior citizens advisory committee for my town paper on my beat it was amazing how much feistier, better attended and organized they were than the environmental and civil rights commissions. And most were on email and facebook.

try your local library ... mine has the DVDs already ... I think PBS/ITV did library outreach because my library also had Downton related "season premiere" events, in the vein of Harry Potter fan-servicing -- etc. which surprised me ... catering to children is one thing, catering to adults .... 

• Love 1
(edited)

While this final season was horribly paced, and quite a few of the rapid-fire developments in this episode would have been more rewarding if they had been gradually developed over the course of this season, I thought this finale was reasonably satisfying.  It's too bad they didn't do for all the characters what they did for Mr. Moseley and Edith, who did have incremental developments leading to a happy payoff here.

It's almost refreshing nowadays to have a finale which tries to tie up loose ends and provide everyone with a nice ending.  I don't remember the last series finale I've watched where I feel happy for all the characters and their futures, without the need to play with emotions with A Very Special Death.  For that, I think the finale should be commended.

There was still very little chemistry between Mary and Talbot, but I liked him slightly more in this episode than the last.  It was also difficult to feel that happy for Tom and the Editor given we've only seen them talk once or twice before this episode.  Violet's scene with Cora at the end came out of the blue when it shouldn't have - given how much time they wasted with the horrible hospital arc, this relationship deserved a subplot to repair it.  

The other resolutions I was fine with.  The Isobel/Violet/Lord Merton subplot was quite funny, and much more entertaining use of Violet than the hospital stuff.  I actually did feel chemistry between Daisy and Andrew for the first time, so that happy ending worked for me.  And then a hint of Mrs. Patmore and Mr. Mason was enough.  Baxter deciding not to contact the man in jail was a bit anticlimatic, so she could have gotten a bit more.  Anna/Bates didn't get much screentime but I was fine with what they got.  Carson's hand shaking was a little out-of-nowhere, but his storyline could have gotten a slightly more positive spin towards the end.  I found his final scene with Robert very awkward.  Maybe because that was towards the final minutes... The same awkwardness was there in the scene with Robert and Cora in the upstairs hallway, though the conversation where Robert told Cora he watched her at the hospital was nice.

I did like Edith and Mary making peace with one another, though I'm not sure why they bothered to have those scenes of Edith and Talbot in the car and in London.  Those could have been cut and better used.  I find it very strange how the show is supposed to be about Mary, but the big 2-hour finale is focused on Edith's wedding.  But that was a good choice considering I was so much happier about Edith and Bertie, and they had much more chemistry than Mary with her beaus.  It provided adequate tension, though it was strange they skipped the scene where Edith told Bertie that she spoke to his mother.  I think that one was necessary.

All that was missing was O'Brien showing up and causing a ruckus.  Too bad they weren't able to bring her back one last time.

Overall, I don't think the quality of the final season was any worse than much of the series, so at least that's somewhat of a feat.  Despite the repetitive subplots and poor pacing, I still enjoyed visiting their world and frankly, I would have watched another season if all they did was eat dinner and talk about the food.

Edited by Camera One
13 hours ago, Camera One said:

Violet's scene with Cora at the end came out of the blue when it shouldn't have - given how much time they wasted with the horrible hospital arc, this relationship deserved a subplot to repair it.

That would have been lovely.  Too bad Julian decided on what he did with this final series.

• Love 1
On 3/21/2016 at 2:13 AM, Roseanna said:

No doubt, but it works both ways. To people who value lineage, Marigold will be inferior than her titled siblings. But what if she doesn't value people like that but wants to socialize with much more interesting people like George Orwell? That she can easily to do than her siblings. Because of their rank, they will also have a barrier when dealing with common people, but Marigold can do it naturally.   

Especially George and Edith's (possible) eldest son will be tied to to the estates they will inherit and they would be brought to fulfill their duty. Marigold will be free to chose her profession and to live her life as she pleases.

As for marriage, if some boring lord doesn't regard Marigold as a suitable wife, she will find a much interesting husband among self-made men.     

Maybe she could marry Charlie Bryant, Ethel's son.

• Love 1

I think that the only danger to Marigold is that her origings came public, but that child is going to have a very privileged life, with acces to all sort of things, acces to the best education, etc. Also when she is going to have 20 years or something like that Britain is going to be in the middle of the second world war and the post ww2 britain was basically another country. Seeing how miserable was Edith treated when she and Mary only job was to marry somebody i highly doubt that she would be like Cora, Edith is another breed, she didnt care about Bertie "prospects" and she wasnt parading herself as the girlfried of the new lord Hexham; so giving that, i think that she will be more conciouss about how raise her daughter than her own mother.

The thing is that the posible son betwen Bertie and Edith and George are going to have a hard time, with the years the death duties are other taxes will be increase with the years, Robert is still alive so when he dies, Downton is going to pay again death duties (remember that they are already paying Matthew´s). After the ww2 when Geoge will posible inherit is going to be a very very hard job keeping Downton with death duties of 80% to the assets. So, is not only open the house to tourism, is also renting the shoot, no longer valets, lady maids, etc, only a few people from the village to help the cleaning and nothing more, also George is going to have a work besides managing the estate, something unthinkable to someone like Robert. The posible son betwen Bertie and Edith is going to have the same problems, but with the advantange that Bertie is still young and we can see that Brancaster is far more rich than Downton so if they need they can sell some paintings or something like that, remember than when Robert lost Cora´s money they were going to sell everything, so Downton is not so rich. 

The problem with Downton is that didnt show us that practically the aristocracy died with the ww1 and the introduction of death duties. 

• Love 1

The thing is that the posible son betwen Bertie and Edith and George are going to have a hard time, with the years the death duties are other taxes will be increase with the years

Given that more than a few of the nobility in the UK not only survived, but thrived (with many worth hundreds of millions of pounds), there is no reason why the Hexums and the Crawleys couldn't thrive as well.

• Love 1