Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Christmas Day

Well, I really messed myself up by being too curious and clicking on this thread.  I live in the U.S. and now that I know what the finale is, there's no point in watching anymore.  It's my fault.

• Love 1

eh, if you've ever watched reruns ... you can enjoy watching this season (or not) even if you know how various plot points turn out ... fashions, quips, longing glances (okay, I made that last one up) 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 1

Actually I would say: Be happy you watch the season spoiled then you won't be as disappointed as the viewers who watched it unspoiled. It's entertaining enough, it has nice episodes and if you already know the outcome you won't have too high expectations. 

I thought it was about as predictable as can be. I enjoyed parts of it and I got a few laughs but it wasn't terribly memorable and it doesn't help that I'm not a huge fan of the character Thomas Barrow. He certainly is the butler with the secrets though. He knows more secrets than Carson.

Mrs. Patmore got a laugh out of me when she asked Andy "What are you implying?" after he asks her if Daisy is interested in men.

The interesting thing to me about Edith being a Marchioness isn't about her outranking Mary. To me the interesting story comes with Marigold. If Edith has more children they're all going to be titled and it makes me wonder if there would be any issues of jealousy there.

I've always been touched by Mary's affection for Carson and the finale didn't disappoint in that sense.

Tom's story was boring. Henry was a boring character. Good looking cardboard. That isn't a slam on Matthew Goode. He did what he could with a nothing role. I maintain that Julian Fellowes missed an opportunity with Tom and Mary.

I was pleased about Isobel and Lord Merton but I thought that storyline was pretty over the top in how horrible the son and daughter in law are. I did laugh at Violet's line about force.

I suppose Fellowes realizes that there are people like me who wouldn't be able to stomach Thomas becoming butler without the benefit of the kids really liking him. The cuteness with George made it bearable. I'm not going to go down the list of how awful he's been season after season so I just tell myself that the family doesn't know the half of it when it comes to him.

I do hope that there will be a movie. I'm fine with it being set in the thirties. I like the idea of that and I'd love for Atticus and Rose to be featured. Maybe picking up in 1933 or thereabouts. I'd love it if they did a mini series like three episodes or something. Maybe one episode can feature Edith in her new life hosting a house party where the family visits. Another episode can feature London and then the third one can be more Downton centric. I still feel like there are stories Fellowes could tell. (Not that I have much faith that he'll focus on what I'd like him to focus on.)

• Love 4

I suppose Fellowes realizes that there are people like me who wouldn't be able to stomach Thomas becoming butler without the benefit of the kids really liking him. The cuteness with George made it bearable.

I think that the scenes between Thomas and George made it believable that Thomas loved George genuinely, without a self-interest. On the same time it showed a too progressive attitude from Crawleys' side to have a gay near their children.

Otherwise, Thomas "change of heart" was too swift to be believable and most of all, it was shown only in words, not deeds.

Also, it wasn't right to let Thomas explain all this troubles according to Anna's advice. It's true that Thomas brought to himself the dislike of the other staff members by his own deeds, but it left completely out *why* he was an outsider.

Finally, why destroy a character who is needed to make trouble, if DA sometimes continues?

The interesting thing to me about Edith being a Marchioness isn't about her outranking Mary. To me the interesting story comes with Marigold. If Edith has more children they're all going to be titled and it makes me wonder if there would be any issues of jealousy there.

To Mary, it certainly was about Edith outranking her. And especially Robert's attitude towards Bertie changed: as a land agent he could be accepted if Edith loved him, but a Marquess he became all Robert wished for a son-in-law. Instead, Cora spoke all the time only about Edith's happiness - which could be based only on honesty.

As for Edith, it was about Marigold. She loved Bertie already before the title which actually made more difficult telling about Marigold.

However, although it was of course splendid to see Brancaster, I would have liked better if Edith had married Bertie when he was a land agent and she could somehow continue to co-edit her magazine. Now the magazine wasn’t even mentioned!

It was very old-fashioned to show that a woman willingly gives all else for love and marrying the titled man shows a woman’s worth.

Of course one must remember DA was a fairy tale. Irl Marigold would have been an obstacle and Edith would have known it.

As for the future, I don’t think Mary's jealousy simply goes way – at least if Edith will get a son (sons) who will be too young to fight in WW2, unlike George.

• Love 3

Well, I really messed myself up by being too curious and clicking on this thread.  I live in the U.S. and now that I know what the finale is, there's no point in watching anymore.  It's my fault.

I did the same thing.  I wanted to know two things:  if Elsie had managed to make a decent husband/human being out of Carson; and if Baxter and Moseley ever got together.  Sounds to me like neither question was sufficiently answered, but I am glad, at least that Moseley became a teacher.  

I lost interest in the upstairs (and most of the downstairs) some seasons ago, but will definitely miss the hats and the quips from the Dowager . . .

• Love 1

Just finished watching Season 6 courtesy of my local library's DVD collection.  

Wow, Tom ex machina! Now I see why they brought him back.  I thought his showing up back at DA was bizarre. But now I get it. He was needed, not only to move some significant events along, but also to tell me, the viewer, that Mary was deeply in love with Henry. Because had he not kept explaining how in love with Talbot she was, I would totally not have seen it.  (Nor would many of you, I gather, based on other posts in this thread.)  Mary + Henry = whatever....

So basically everyone (except, I suppose, Carson) got a happy ending. Just odd that JF decided to do that--wrap everything up in a nice big bow, I mean. For most of the characters, the happy ending was telegraphed early on. Very predictable.

I did like when the reverend asked, during Edith's wedding, if anyone had a reason why the marriage should not take place, and there was this big PAUSE.  I assume JF wanted viewers to wonder if once again an Edith wedding was going to be blown to bits at the last minute. Nice touch.

Over all, I have to say that I was a bit disappointed that all of the DA upstairs folks seemed to have become very accepting of change during this season. For example, when maid Gwen returns to DA as a respectable married woman, and Barrow lets it be known during dinner that she used to work downstairs, everyone was so contrite about not recognizing her! I expected an uncomfortable silence from at least one aristocrat upon learning that they were dining with a - gasp!- servant.  But now, this season seems to have brought us a kinder, gentler DA.

I'm in America, but pre-ordered the DVDs from PBS, so they arrived this week and I was able to marathon-watch the rest of the season, finishing last night.  I actually LOVED that there weren't loose ends to be tied up at the end, and that there was no really weird twist to the ending.  I laughed and cried, and I already "miss" the show, knowing that the regular series is over.

To this day, I hate what the writers of St. Elsewhere did to their loyal viewers in the last episode.

• Love 9

So, question...can we assume that Andrew had dyslexia, and what's-his-name school guy was able to glomm onto this fact and teach him to read?  Because one minute all of Barrow's teaching was barely paying off, and the next minute, Andrew's reading well enough.

BTW, I judge the passage of time by the size of the dog. It amazes me how much plot line growth (Andrew's learning to read, for example) occurred in a very short amount of time, seeing as the dog was still fairly small the last time we saw her. Growing, but still small.

It was nice to see the loose ends tie up.

• Edith's Wedding.  Her parents finally happy for her.
  • Mr. Carson and Mrs. Hughes calling each other by their first names for once.
  • The beautiful Christmas and snow scenes.
  • The Dowager Countess' laughter when she read Spratt's article.  (Has she ever laughed like that on the show?)
  • Violet and Isobel busting in to rescue Dickie.
  • Rose sharing photos of her baby...and pointedly mentioning she's not named for her mother.
  • Brief acknowledgment of Martha Levinson.
  • That nice scene with Thomas and the kids.  But, yes, his goodbyes took too long considering the show was projecting Carson's health problems/retirement a mile away.
  • Love 3

I do like where the characters wind up for the most part. The whole thing seemed rushed. It would have been better if there were one more episode just to flesh the story lines.

Lord Merton is dying then suddenly not dying. What was that?

• Love 1

I did like when the reverend asked, during Edith's wedding, if anyone had a reason why the marriage should not take place, and there was this big PAUSE.  I assume JF wanted viewers to wonder if once again an Edith wedding was going to be blown to bits at the last minute. Nice touch.

I don't think so as Edith and Bertie were smiling as if they had no care in the world.

• Love 2

I do like where the characters wind up for the most part. The whole thing seemed rushed. It would have been better if there were one more episode just to flesh the story lines.

Lord Merton is dying then suddenly not dying. What was that?

He was erroneously diagnosed with pernicious anemia which was a death sentence back then.  However, he noticed that he was feeling just as well as ever and went to Dr. Clarkson to find out why he wasn't fading, since his death was supposed to be imminent.  He was retested and found to have only iron deficiency anemia which can be treated with the proper diet and iron supplements.  In the end, old Dr. Clarkson to redeemed himself by showing that the fancy Harley Street physicians were dead wrong - not once but twice!  Remember Sir Phillip Tapsell, was the Harley Street physician who ignored Clarkson's warnings about Sybil and she died of eclampsia.  Now, Amelia Grey's Harley Street gang had misdiagnosed Lord Merton and had him with one foot in the grave.

Edited by kpw801
  • Love 5

"I don't think so as Edith and Bertie were smiling as if they had no care in the world."

I loved that. It gave me the feeling the bad luck was over and Edith knew it. Apparently it's also bad  luck to have red and white flowers at your wedding, so the fact Edith has those flowers makes me like to think that she's saying eff-you to all the bad luck she has had. Almost like she's daring the bad luck to come and get her. Although when I say that out loud it sounds kind of crazy.

"I don't think so as Edith and Bertie were smiling as if they had no care in the world."

I loved that. It gave me the feeling the bad luck was over and Edith knew it. Apparently it's also bad  luck to have red and white flowers at your wedding, so the fact Edith has those flowers makes me like to think that she's saying eff-you to all the bad luck she has had. Almost like she's daring the bad luck to come and get her. Although when I say that out loud it sounds kind of crazy.

Uh oh! I had red and white flowers at mine. LOL

I know both families know of Marigold's parentage, but how are they going to explain her to others? People in the village, London, extended family? Don't remember if that was addressed.

• Love 1
I know both families know of Marigold's parentage, but how are they going to explain her to others? People in the village, London, extended family? Don't remember if that was addressed.

Same story they've been telling all along: that Marigold is Edith's ward, a poor little orphan taken in because the farm family who'd been caring for her 'couldn't cope'. People might put two and two together and gossip behind closed doors, but the official story will remain the same regardless.

• Love 1

I doubt that Mary was really proud that Henry became the owner of a second hand car shop. Not only she used such a belittling term, but Tom had to urge him not to be a snob and Henry became distressed of her cold shower. Only after that she as if plastered a smile in her face and said she was proud. Henry seemed to be convinced.

Also, in the two scenes with Henry in the picnic and in the bedroom it was as if she was playing a loving and concerned wife, but she lacked naturalness and genuineness that she had with  Matthew. 

Instead, in Edith's wedding Mary was quite good with Henry because then she could show her usual high airs but in a playful manner. 

I doubt that Mary was really proud that Henry became the owner of a second hand car shop. Not only she used such a belittling term, but Tom had to urge him not to be a snob and Henry became distressed of her cold shower. Only after that she as if plastered a smile in her face and said she was proud. Henry seemed to be convinced

Yes that expression on her face rang so falsely.......

Yes that expression on her face rang so falsely.......

I think that she doesnt like the idea and she "fought" to put a good face to the whole car business, also if you notice, before the wedding, in Edith´s bedroom when Marigold is mentioned she looks to the floor and she also does the same thing in one moment of the wedding. Ovbiously she is not 100% happy with her possition now, but she is learning to handle it and leave her snobbism behind. 

So my husband asks me if we can "delete this old Downton Abbey" off the TiVo, and it turns out it was the season 6 Christmas episode, aired one day early in my area! Needless to say, I got to view it a day earlier than I thought. I actually teared up once. So now I will be off to watch The Walking Dead tonight, then back here later to discuss the Downton series finale.....

• Love 1
(edited)
I can't believe that I cared for Daisy in the early series, hoped she'd get on in the world, find a beau, and by the end of the whole thing she worked my last nerve.

Right?  I was pulling for the hairdryer to be entirely lethal.   That's pretty much my reaction to the end of the series, "But on the completely positive side, no more Daisy!  Hooray!"  Of course, I will have to live with the hole in my life left behind where I used to wonder how she was getting on with her studies.  I anticipate that one being very easy to fill.  Nearly effortless.  Nix the "nearly" and there you have it.  

You know ever since Fellowes mentioned, in absolutely every piece of press that I saw from him the last year, that women would follow him around shops, corner him and then dramatically burst out with "Why can't you just let Edith be happy?!?"  in tearful tones, it was kind of apparent that Edith would end the series not merely happy, but quite possibly the actual Queen of the Universe, Ruler of all She Surveys.    I think it was sort of sweet that Fellowes decided to end the series with a story about how everyone was just as happy as could be for Edith, with Edith beaming happily too.  

Too bad it had to come after an almost cartoonish series of events in which Mary nearly morphed into an actual, fire-breathing would-be-intended-consuming Dragon crossed with a Barracuda at the breakfast table in the last episode, in order to continue to beat the drum of the only relationship to truly seem to needle every single viewer over the years:  the epic Thunderdome, Throwdown with Icy Glares and Withering Stares:  the sibling rivalry between the Sisters Crawley.   

Made me truly glad I don't have a sister, I'm telling you. 

Poor Allan Leech, he was given little to do other than to play matchmaker for Mary and finally find his way back to a garage.   Mary's marriage to Henry seems just about as thrilling as their courtship.  Their relationship battlecry has seemed to be "You'll do" and "I suppose we must."  I know poor Michelle Dockery was going through so much personally and that if they had to have her play a romance, it was kind of Fellowes to write her such a restrained, bloodless, implied love story.  

In fact, Fellows seemed to be flying his Kindness Flag for the finale.  Good for him.  Not a very gripping episode and a rather gentle exit for the story.  

I can say one thing with great fervor and true passion:  God almighty, am I ever glad to not have to see some of those wigs again.  I hope Joanna Froggart got to burn hers, dance drunkenly in the ashes and as a bonus, got to set her entire freaking wardrobe on fire.  Twice.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 8

Violet saying the only thing Robert can keep in are secrets was an epic burn.

I'm completely convinced the only reason Tom pushed the Mary/Henry relationship is because he needed another man to talk to other than Robert.

Oh, Lord Merton and Isobel!  Go get your man! STFU, Cruikshanks.

I thought Bertie's mother would be someone more well known seeing how it was the last episode.

Finally, a scene that proves Henry knows of George's existence.

Downton's hat game is so strong, I'll miss it so.

Won't miss Denker, AT. ALL.

I rather liked Thoroughly Modern Daisy's new hairdo.

Edith looked stunning coming down the stairs, and the moment between her and Robert was absolutely lovely. ALL MY FEELS!

Hopefully Edith and Mary's relationship gets better due to distance.

We'll never know if Anna and Bates' son's name is Norman.

Edith got her happy ending (although I wonder how involved she'll still be in the newspaper), Isobel and Lord Merton got together, Molesley and Baxter and Mrs. Patmore and Mr. Mason seem to be heading that way, so I'm quite pleased with the way it wrapped up the things I cared about. You got lucky, Fellowes. I won't have to come find you.

Even though the show could be so damn frustrating (seriously Uncle Julian, work on your pacing), I'll miss it.

• Love 12
(edited)

Well, it was enjoyable and nothing I didn't expect. I liked Daisy's Clara Bow haircut,  Violet's line about Denker and Spratt as Salome and Herod, and her open giggling at Spratt being Cassandra Jones. Not sure about Edith's wedding dress, but it's growing on me. 

Moments of unintentional hilarity:

-yeah, we got the hints of Tom and Laura Edmonds, but come on - we know that car business is a cover for Tom and Henry's bromance.

-Robert's face at that tense moment when it looked like Bertie's mother would nix the engagement: "Lady, announce it or my ulcer will go!"

-Downton's servants not even caring about keeping up the official cover story for Marigold's parentage before the wedding. 

In spite of Isobel getting her happy ending, Violet and Isobel were a bit bittersweet. Nice bit of understated emotion from both of them.

Edited by moonb
  • Love 6

Well they did wrap things up, though as usual with the Christmas special I feel like some of the plot would have been better served by stretching into the preceeding episodes.  Oh well.  Happy to see Edith happy, which is what I most wanted.

• Love 3
(edited)

Well, that was nice.  Bittersweet.  Really, that's all I can say.  It's was beautiful and bittersweet.

And we got to see Thomas in a three piece suit.  Be still my heart!

It's too bad Cora's mother couldn't be there.  I also wished we had a "Where are they now" type of thing for the former staff (O'Brien, Jimmy, and the rest) to see what's become of them.

But we got The Dowager Countess and Mrs. Crawley teaming up to take down Lord Merton's wicked children (never mess with the old ladies, kids),  Anna and Bates had something lovely happen to them for once, Mosley's going to become a teacher, Baxter is finally letting go of her troubled past, Thomas is head butler now, Carson and Mrs. Hughes will still be together come what may, Denker got shot down for the last time, Spratt is a successful writer, Edith's married to a man who doesn't care about her past, Mary's second husband is giving up racing so he'll still be around, Tom is going to be building cars, Daisy's got knowledge and a new haircut, Mrs. Patmore has her bed and breakfast, Rose (Rose!) and her boring husband have a happy life and a happy baby in happy New York (God, I hope The Great Crash doesn't screw 'em up too bad), Rosamund is still awesome,  Andy's great at farm work, really everything is great except poor Carson's Parkinson's.  And Cora and Robert are still together.

It's nice seeing a series end quietly with its characters happy instead of a couple of them dead and more shenanigans carrying on in a comic book.  Please don't carry on in comic books, Downton Abbey!

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 12

Well . . . it wasn't a great episode.  There we moments when the dialog made me groan.  But I enjoyed this show over the years and I enjoyed this wrap-everything-up episode.  I was willing to suspend disbelief to let everyone get paired up, married, retired, moved into a new job, or born, with no one dying.  Thanks Downton Abbey. It was a good ride.

• Love 7

The show was never anything but a silly fantasy, so I'm okay with "everyone gets a happy ending".

I just wish this season had better pacing and story development. For instance, I would have liked to see Tom and the lady editor build a relationship slowly so you would really be rooting for them, rather than having it feel like Julian Fellowes just found the nearest single woman and smashed her together with Tom because, as he seemed to remember for the first time all season, Tom is an actual character that people actually care about.

I also think that Mary would be appalled to be married to a man who owns an auto shop. I don't understand why her character suddenly and inexplicably changed so much over the last two episodes. Again, I think if they had built a gradual change over the course of the whole season, it would have been a much more believable character transformation.

• Love 9
(edited)

A little bit cheesy, but things were tied up nicely.  Those of us in Toronto were interrupted by an Amber Alert (note: the child was found safe).

ETA: So Mary's married to a used car salesman?  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 11

Anna and Bates was such big story through out the show, but they - especially he seemed so shoehorned in. Makes me wonder how many scenes or lines had to be changed due to Brendan Coyle showing up to the set too hungover to film as scheduled (according to The Mirror). The birth scene seemed to have them interact as little as possible

• Love 2

Lady Edith is happy...she looked lovely as she came down the staircase, but it must have had terrible echoes for her of her past jilting. I wanted nothing more from Downton than some happiness for Edith...and Bertie is himself quite a catch...as land agent, unemployed or Marquess. He's a peach. Good on Robert for giving his mother a last minute nudge...any more disasters for Edith and I would scream.

So, the hookups continue...Mrs. Patmore and Mr. Mason, Daisy and Andy, Mrs. Crawley and Lord Merton, and of course Moseley. Happy endings for all.

Barrow has his dream job, Carson is now on side, Elsie has her own house to run, the Bates have a son who will soon be charged with random murder and Daisy has a haircut.

Have i forgotten anyone. Oh yes, Tom and Ms Edwards...a future hook up.

Still, it was great fun, and the ending was magical. 

• Love 7

"Hark at you, Becky Sharp!" I will miss Mrs. Patmore.

When Anna said it was hot in the church, I was sure her water would break during the wedding ceremony.

Robert's puppy is so adorable, I don't want it to be used for hunting. I want it to play in the drawing room and be given treats.

• Love 5

Yes, it was predictably happy endings for all, but I don't care.  I loved it and the whole last season. 

One thing, though:  They should have used a messier wig for Daisy's final 'do.  Her hair was perfectly cut and coiffed, like a professional did it. 

• Love 3