Type keyword(s) to search

Modern Family in the Media

Poor girl.  I wouldn't feel safe with a restraining order...if he gets within the order's distance from her he could do something to her before the time it would take her to call 911.  And to also threaten a dog? Sick freak.

The story I read had Julie Bowen coming to Sarah's aid. It's funny – – I've never ever liked Claire's character on the show, but now, knowing that the actor herself was of help to the young woman, I'm going to like Claire. Okay, time to dissociate reality from entertainment… But so it goes.

No mention of yet another Emmy for Modern Family?

This year makes it 5 years in a row that Modern Family won the Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series, a feat accomplished by only one other show (Frasier).

The win sparked backlash, especially from fans of the newer shows on cable stations and Netflix.

While I wouldn't put Modern Family on the pantheon of greatest ever TV comedies, I'll take it over Frasier any day.  And even the naysayers must admit it has been a good, if not great, show for a long time.  And that is worth some kudos.

• Love 1

I had no problems with Emmy wins 1 and 2 for Modern Family, and probably even Season 3. During that time the show was consistent and better than your typical laugh track schlep, but the show has been surpassed the past couple seasons by shows like Louis, Veep, and Silicon Valley. The fact that it keeps wining just feels like laziness on the voters' parts.

I like Modern Family, I still DVR every week, but I don't get excited for it the way I once did, or the way I do now, for one of the shows listed above or Brooklyn 99.

• Love 3

Didn't realize it at the time, but caught that on the rewatch. They did a good job with those photos. I had actually thought some of the other ones were going to be recreations as well, but can't find any reference for that.

It's sad they didn't explore more of this. All of Haley's interests seem to be these one off items that never get more developed.

No mention of yet another Emmy for Modern Family?

This year makes it 5 years in a row that Modern Family won the Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series, a feat accomplished by only one other show (Frasier).

The win sparked backlash, especially from fans of the newer shows on cable stations and Netflix.

While I wouldn't put Modern Family on the pantheon of greatest ever TV comedies, I'll take it over Frasier any day.  And even the naysayers must admit it has been a good, if not great, show for a long time.  And that is worth some kudos.

Just being a good show for a long time doesn't mean you deserve five straight Emmies, when there are many comedies in my opinion as good or better than this one.

In fact The Middle on just one hour before it on the same network I think it just as good if not better. Archer, Its Always SUnny in Philadelphia, Brooklyn 99, Lillyhammer if you consider it as a comedy (and if Ally Freakin' McBeal won as a comedy, surely Lillyhammer should qualify), Parks and Rec......all as good or better in my opinion as Modern Family. And thats just off the top of my head that I watch myself.

Its not that I don't enjoy the show. I still watch, I love it. Its the Emmy voters getting fixated on one show and failing to recognize other shows year to year that also deserve recognition.

• Love 1

I didn't say Modern Family deserved to win all those Emmys (certainly not last year's),   And I wouldn't put Modern Family among the top 5 comedies on TV today, or even the best of this century  (I would put Parks and Rec on that list).  But, it is of some historical note that Modern Family garnered enough support to win the Emmy five times in a row.  I suspect many Emmy voters don't bother to watch the nominees, but still, Modern Family has been a ratings and cultural winner for a while now.  And that is impressive.

Edited by Roaster

I just find it frustrating so many shows get overlooked, not just in winning but in being nominated, while this show, based largely on reputation and popularity rather than on writing quality, keeps getting nominated and winning

Its more a commentary on the poor job the Emmy committee does than how I feel about this show. I like the show just fine. I just wish the people responsible for the Emmys would actually do their jobs and nominate and vote for the actual best shows rather than the shows they THINK are the best based on past performance.

• Love 2

4-time defending champion at both the Producers Guild of America Awards and Screen Actors Guild Awards lost both awards to Orange is the New Black.

Finally being toppled at the Emmys this year?

Definitely. The bloom is off the rose for this show. Many viewers are tired and critical of it, its lack of awards is starting to reflect that. I'd be surprised if it's even nominated next year. I can see a show like blackish taking it's place as the fresh new family sitcom on network TV.

Anyone else catch the cast on the 2015 PaleyFest? (See link here if interested https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/paleyfest-la-modern-family)

I enjoyed the interview and camaraderie, and there were a couple of funny stories (to me the funniest ones this time around were Sofia's). I did get a slightly uncomfortable vibe from Ariel having to answer a question about her growth and maturity on the show and how she related to that. Then an older man in the audience was comparing her to Sofia Vergara--it just looked to me that she was not feeling it and at some point after the Sofia comparison even Sarah Hyland said she was not comfortable. Maybe I am reading too much into it....

Sadly, even in situations like this, it takes awhile to get the courts to fix the situation. Similar to Sarah's former abusive boyfriend who got let out of rehab and they warned her that he was coming. No fact that maybe he shouldn't have been released if he was still a danger to her and others. Hopefully, she can have someone of a normal life now with it over.

http://www.cruxnow.com/church/2015/05/14/vatican-official-praises-modern-family-for-raising-family-issues/

"A senior Vatican official paid tribute to Hollywood on Thursday for raising the profile of family issues, specifically citing the American sitcom “Modern Family,” a show that features two married gay men who adopt a baby, plus an older divorced dad who remarries a woman half his age.....

....Archbishop Vincenzo Paglia told the United Nations on Thursday that thanks to “phenomena like the media production ‘Modern Family,’ or same-sex marriage initiatives in a significant number of jurisdictions, the family has become the subject of increasingly intense interest and discussion.”"

I like Ty very much, but if Andre Braugher doesn't win, I'm going to have to slap the first Emmy voter I encounter. (Luckily, I expect never to encounter any.) Ty's won before and, even if he hadn't, Andre's the absolute best in my opinion.

• Love 3

I am curious based on some of her comments if her feelings about her body and breasts were why the dressed Alex as they did. Wonder if there will be a noticeable difference in her wardrobe.

One thing I do love is how close both Sarah and Ariel or in real life to Julie, it was Julie who Sarah called when her ex was harassing her and she was one of the first people she told about her surgery.

Thanks, biakbiak.  I'm a guy and I was wondering the same thing as mansonlamps.  I thought maybe there was a typo in the article.

Good for you, Ariel!  Never mind the idiots in the IMDb forums.  And good for you, Julie Bowen, for being the good adult for Ariel and Sarah.  Claire Dunphy still drives me nuts sometimes ...

Never mind the idiots in the IMDb forums.

People were commenting that if she hated the attention why did she always pose provocatively.  I've personally never seen that.

It's not uncommon with breast reductions because where the back band hits you may be different.

Right and to add to the complexity of bras, there are "sister sizes" where you can do something like go up a band size and down a cup size and the bra will still fit you.  So it's possible to be say both a 34B and a 32C at the same time, depending on what's more comfortable for you.

• Love 1

Is there now vanity sizing in the bra industry as well as the regular clothing industry? My niece, who I has a very cute, normal figure, a little bit large on top, measures out at a 32DD at Victoria's secret. To me, that size makes it seem like she should look like a flotation device.

I briefly saw something where the cast of Modern Family is going to play the characters from Cheers - Ty Burrell is going to be Sam, Jesse - Cliff, Rico - Norm, Ariel - Carla, Julie - Diane and Luke (actor's real name escapes me) - Woody.  Not sure what the specifics are - why, when, where, how many eps, etc., anyone know?

Y'know, with the Emmy loss last night, I feel this little sense of relief going into this season. 

I like this show, I still watch every week, but it's a familiar, coasting show for me now, which I think any Comedy gets to in its senior seasons. I think I'll enjoy it more this season, without the network lording the Emmy over the audience.

Just discovered there was a Greek version of the show called Moderna Oikogeneia:

"Greek Phil" looks older than "Greek Jay", "Greek Claire" is HOT and "Greek Alex"(or "Alexandra") looks like American Alex.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

Just discovered there was a Greek version of the show called Moderna Oikogeneia:

"Greek Phil" looks older than "Greek Jay", "Greek Claire" is HOT and "Greek Alex"(or "Alexandra") looks like American Alex.

Here are the three families:

moderna_oikogeneia_1.jpg?itok=jrdSh9r5

Pretty good casting, I think

I was quite surprised to see this article this morning about the actor who plays Dylan:

http://www.people.com/article/reid-ewing-body-dysmorphia-plastic-surgery-addiction

From the first two paragraphs of the article:  

Reid Ewing has struggled with body dysmorphic disorder his whole life, and as a result has undergone numerous cosmetic surgery procedures, all of which he says he regrets.

The Modern Family actor, 27, got his first procedure done in 2008 at the age of 19, after moving to Los Angeles to become an actor.

Edited by MMLEsq