Type keyword(s) to search

Modern Family in the Media

2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

By not doing as much contouring as she is doing in that photo?

Pretty much, they will just keep the make up low, throw the glasses back on her and go: "Alex is here." 

5 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

ruin her youth a la Lohan.

So true - it would really be a shame to end up like Lohan.  Unfortunate, that they think they can guide their own careers (not knowing anything).  Look at Mayim Bialik - she has a Ph.D - why not follow HER example?

Edited by useryikes
spelling error
  • Love 4

Jesse Tyler Ferguson is one of the voices on John Oliver's book A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo (along with Jim Parsons, Jeff Garlin, Ellie Kemper, John Lithgow, Jack McBrayer, and RuPaul).

You can download the audio book at audible for $1.99 or the kindle version at amazon for $11.99.

The hardcover book is now sold out on both amazon and Chronicle Books but both sites say it's only temporarily out of stock (amazon says it will be back in stock in 1-3 weeks). You can download the ebook if you donate $11.99 to The Trevor Project or AIDS United.

All proceeds go to The Trevor Project and AIDS United.

A+ for the two website names that John Oliver bought for this project:

https://betterbundobook.com/
http://www.focusonthefurmily.com

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3
(edited)

I had no idea that Sarah Hyland’s dad was an actor currently on Broadway in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child but her IGstory watching the Tonys and rooting for the play was cute.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Emmy nomination:

Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (Half-Hour) And Animation - Lake Life

Hopefully the producers will realize that this one sad Emmy nomination means this show is stale as fuck and needs either a serious change or an ending.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, PumpkinLumpkin said:

The article said it perfectly, shows are having such a hard time getting stable shows. Doesn't matter if its comedy or drama. Agents of SHIELD was pretty much wrapped up this season, but was renewed last minute since there was nothing to replace it with since Once Upon a Time ended and their "drama" night which is why Last Man Standing and Dr. Ken were cancelled a year ago crashed and burned. Now, they are trying to bring back TGIF. However, when they try to pull shows out when they have nothing else to air, it becomes about a paycheck for the actors and the writers prove they don't have anything left in the tank. We shall see. I have to admit if either Ed O'Neil or any of the main adult characters choose not to return for an 11th season. ABC better realize that the kids of the characters can't carry the show. Especially when the writers prove they don't know how to write them.

I have to admit if either Ed O'Neil or any of the main adult characters choose not to return for an 11th season. ABC better realize that the kids of the characters can't carry the show. Especially when the writers prove they don't know how to write them.

I think the show is Like Everybody Loves Raymond-it is written about the experiences of the writers and producers involving their own families and hence they know how to write the characters and have NO IDEA on how to write for the kids once they become adulit..ish. Focusing on any of the kids would be a disaster since known of them are interesting, consistent or all that funny, not to mention that several of the actors (yes, I am looking at you Rico and Nolan, and especially you Aubrey) are not all that good at acting.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I wonder which character will die. I don't buy it will be a main character. More likely a secondary character like Claire and Mitchell's mother, one of Cam's parents or his sister, or Phil's mother. 

My first thought was Stella. Or possibly Phil's father. If they kill off Cam's sister it would pave the way for Cam & Mitchell to adopt her child.

• Love 2

My guesses for demise are Phil’s father or Pam.

I don’t see how they could kill off a main character in the last season and still be funny.  What would be funny about a family dealing with the death of a parent, spouse, child or sibling?  Even with a jump forward of several months I don’t think the audience would find Gloria/Jay/Phil/Claire/Cam/Mitchell going through dating hijinks as a widow(er) at all funny.  And killing off one of the kids?  I don’t see any way to make a family dealing with a child’s death (even a young adult child) even a little amusing.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, ichbin said:

If they kill off Cam's sister it would pave the way for Cam & Mitchell to adopt her child.

This was my first thought as well.  Any of the extended family are fair game: Claire/Mitchell's mom, Phil's dad, Stella, Manny's dad.  The only other person whose death could have some effect that I can think of is Dylan.  

• Love 1

My first thought was Pam and after hearing that the death’s effects will be felt across several episodes, I think she’s the only choice. She was never a very likeable character and has already been sent offscreen by being in jail due to her ex. Cam and Mitch have been taking care of her son for a long time now and her death would have episodes regarding the characters hearing the news, the funeral, applying for adoption for their nephew, the big courtroom scene where they are granted the adoption, scenes with Lily adjusting to being a sibling now, etc. I think any other death of a secondary character would only garner two episodes at the most (and really probably only one). I also don’t think they will kill off one of the main characters. It would change the dynamic of the show too much. 

• Love 7

I'm hoping it's Pam.  There's a little boy in Cam & Mitch's kitchen in the teaser for the new season, so that goes along with the theory that they adopt the boy.  Plus, her death would be felt by several characters but I think less than 0.005% of the audience would care if she got killed off. I think there was more grief for Mr. Kleezak when he died among the viewers than  there would be for Pam.  Otherwise, my prediction would be Dede.  It's probably too cruel to kill of both of Phil's parents and my other guess would be Stella, but there is nothing ever funny about a dead dog.

I do hope that this is the last season, however.  Lloyd says in the EW article that they're open to an 11th if they can negotiate it, but given the last couple of seasons, the tank is running dry.

• Love 3

What bugs me is that some quotes say a main character while other quotes say a significant character.  IMO that's not the same thing at all.  I don't want anyone getting killed off but I especially don't want them getting viewers by saying a main character is going to die when they have no intention of doing that.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I was thinking it would be Phil's dad that dies, but Pam makes more sense

I don’t think it’s Phil’s dad because though he was on the show unlike his mom they sort of mind that territory with her death.

I was thinking maybe it’s Dede. It’s the death of a significant character and would effect the most people.

• Love 3

Yeah.. I’m curious about this big death that’s going to happen.  I honestly don’t see them killing off one of our big mains. I think likely it’ll be Phil’s Dad, Dede or Pam.

And I have to admit a snarky part of me is fully expecting it to be Stella. Which would be awful because I love dogs but this does seem like something the show would do, tease us of a big characters death that will impact the show and then it’ll be Stella.

Again I just don’t see them doing it to the main characters. Unless it’s the last season and  I know there’s been talk with contracts being up at this year but they haven’t made any decision yet on the shows future so I can’t see anyone we know each and every week to be killed off.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t think it’s Phil’s dad because though he was on the show unlike his mom they sort of mind that territory with her death.

I was thinking maybe it’s Dede. It’s the death of a significant character and would effect the most people.

Yes Dede is also a good choice. 

Though I would miss her appearances.  She is funny on the show. 

I would put it at even odds between Dede and Pam, then Phils dad next. 

They did the episodes where Phil's mom died but he is clearly closer with his dad than with his mom. 

• Love 1

Yeah, I think Dede is the best guess. And her death would be the one that would ripples to various characters. I mean yes everyone would be sad about Phil’s Dad or Cam but it wouldn’t be as felt throughout the show, not in the way Dede would be.

• Love 1
On 9/15/2018 at 12:34 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah, I think Dede is the best guess. And her death would be the one that would ripples to various characters. I mean yes everyone would be sad about Phil’s Dad or Pam but it wouldn’t be as felt throughout the show, not in the way Dede would be.

I can see where Pam's death and the subsequent adoption of her child would cause a certain amount of ripples, but they've already sent her offscreen and shown Mitch and Cam realizing that they want to take care of her son while she's gone, so they don't actually have to kill her off to mine that storyline.

Dede would cause ripples in all three families, so she would make the most sense. But I'm not sure they're going to be able to pull much funny out of watching an ex-spouse, his new wife, children with a complicated relationship with the deceased, and grandchildren mourning the loss. Is this going to be like Black-ish's sudden turn toward the dramatic at the end of last season, where like 3 or 4 episodes were not funny at all and were just drama. 

Also, I'm weirdly addicted to the reruns of this show (even the so-so episodes from last season simply because that's all Hulu has), but I don't know that I need to see the contract extended. The comedy has gotten fairly mediocre and some of the kids have grown into truly awful actors. Lily is the worst by a country mile, but Manny is pretty bad too. The weird pauses he puts into his lines really get under my skin. Strangely, I kinda like older Luke and think he's a little better than he was as a kid. Haley and Alex have stayed fairly similar, but were slightly better as kids, IMO, (or else they had better storylines/writing).

Rather than extending the life of the series, I'd rather that they end it and release ALL of the episodes on Hulu, instead of just the most recent season.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

I can see where Pam's death and the subsequent adoption of her child would cause a certain amount of ripples, but they've already sent her offscreen and shown Mitch and Cam realizing that they want to take care of her son while she's gone, so they don't actually have to kill her off to mine that storyline.

Dede would cause ripples in all three families, so she would make the most sense. But I'm not sure they're going to be able to pull much funny out of watching an ex-spouse, his new wife, children with a complicated relationship with the deceased, and grandchildren mourning the loss. Is this going to be like Black-ish's sudden turn toward the dramatic at the end of last season, where like 3 or 4 episodes were not funny at all and were just drama. 

Also, I'm weirdly addicted to the reruns of this show (even the so-so episodes from last season simply because that's all Hulu has), but I don't know that I need to see the contract extended. The comedy has gotten fairly mediocre and some of the kids have grown into truly awful actors. Lily is the worst by a country mile, but Manny is pretty bad too. The weird pauses he puts into his lines really get under my skin. Strangely, I kinda like older Luke and think he's a little better than he was as a kid. Haley and Alex have stayed fairly similar, but were slightly better as kids, IMO, (or else they had better storylines/writing).

Rather than extending the life of the series, I'd rather that they end it and release ALL of the episodes on Hulu, instead of just the most recent season.

Yeah, I personally think they should end it. Only because the show has become sort of static. Most of the kids are all older(except for Lily, Joe, and Pam’s child) and the show seemed to have struggled with how to keep Luke, Haley, Alex and manny involved with the shows plots. And it’s been 10 years, that’s quite a long time. And I would like for them to have a final episode that they know it’s a final episode and end it right.

Theres a small part of me that still thinks it’s going to be Stella. Which will be terrible because STELLA!!!! But yeah, I feel like Phil’s Dad wouldn’t be that big for anyone but Phil and Claire’s kids of course (they had an episode when his mom died and everyone was there for Phil but they were off doing their own plots in that episode while Phil dealt with his feelings) and Yeah Pam would be something but like you said she’s already written out and that leaves Dede.. which yeah would be really dark.

Theres been a speculation from media outlets on it being one of Haley’s ex’s boyfriends but even that feels like it would be really dark for this show. 

I don’t know. I feel like all this speculation is kind of what the show wants and therefore when it happens it’ll be just be like.. “oh”. 

• Love 1

I'm going with Dede too.  She impacts almost everyone - even Manny seemed to have a good relationship with her.  Phil's father only impacts the Dunphy's, and Cam's sister really only impacts Cam and Mitch and Lily.

It's a long shot, but it could be Jay.  I read some time ago that Ed O'Neill was tired of the show, and he is in his 70s.  But I only see that happening if this is truly the last season, because I don't know how the show moves on without him. 

According to this article, season 10 will be the last season:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/rebeccalerner/2018/01/13/modern-family-to-end-next-season/#8a019f23a622

"If we can leave with most of our audience wanting more, I think that’s the right way to do it,” Levitan says to The Hollywood Reporter. “Never say never, but I just can’t imagine that we’d go past that.”

Honestly, I think that ship has sailed.  MF has not been funny in some time.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, mwell345 said:

ccording to this article, season 10 will be the last season: 

It was stated over the summer that they are currently negotiating with the cast for at least another season but no deal has been finalized yet.

• Love 1

I hope this will be the final season. They’ve already started recycling storylines within the same season (Phil’s hospitalizations and surgeries). I’d rather they know ahead of time that it’s the end so they can plan an ending everyone can be happy with and make the episodes leading up to the finale as funny as possible. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

I hope this will be the final season. They’ve already started recycling storylines within the same season (Phil’s hospitalizations and surgeries). I’d rather they know ahead of time that it’s the end so they can plan an ending everyone can be happy with and make the episodes leading up to the finale as funny as possible. 

I agree, there has to be a set end time for a show. You keep pushing just because you have nothing else to show in it's place (really that's what it comes down to these days). You then get a set of shows that people just stop watching and then you have to cancel them. It's good to just set with an ending and work your way towards it. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, readster said:

I agree, there has to be a set end time for a show. You keep pushing just because you have nothing else to show in it's place (really that's what it comes down to these days). You then get a set of shows that people just stop watching and then you have to cancel them. It's good to just set with an ending and work your way towards it. 

Yeah, I like it when a series has an end point or the creators at least has a idea of where/how they would like it to end. Because like you said then we are literally are just watching them try to find stories to place in the show.

That is why I kind of wish bts people already had an ending worked out from the beginning and look I understand things happen within the entertainment industry, someone may leave the show and you can’t get the ending you had envisioned but lately every time I watch a tv show I can’t help thinking that the people behind the series really have no idea how they’re ending this show and that’s why it’s becoming so ridiculous.

• Love 1

They like to say a "major character" will die, but viewers know that network hype machines are always in overdrive.

Dede? Not sure how her death would affect everyone over several episodes. They don't like her very much and she's only been on a few times. Out of sight, out of mind, and all that.

People mention Stella, and I had to scratch my head over who that was. Oh, the dog. Not sure how that would affect anyone besides Jay and maybe Joe.

I figured Phil's father, since he's played by a name actor and has been on several times even though his death wouldn't affect most of them. 

The guesses for Pam make the most sense, since her death precipitates an addition to the family, and a new son, brother, grandchild, nephew and cousin does affect everyone. It also continues the concept of the modern family, with its unique makeup.

My personal wish is Gloria, since her screechy overacting adds nothing to the show.

• Love 4
On 9/17/2018 at 6:41 PM, mwell345 said:

I'm going with Dede too.  She impacts almost everyone - even Manny seemed to have a good relationship with her.  Phil's father only impacts the Dunphy's, and Cam's sister really only impacts Cam and Mitch and Lily.

It's a long shot, but it could be Jay.  I read some time ago that Ed O'Neill was tired of the show, and he is in his 70s.  But I only see that happening if this is truly the last season, because I don't know how the show moves on without him. 

According to this article, season 10 will be the last season:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/rebeccalerner/2018/01/13/modern-family-to-end-next-season/#8a019f23a622

"If we can leave with most of our audience wanting more, I think that’s the right way to do it,” Levitan says to The Hollywood Reporter. “Never say never, but I just can’t imagine that we’d go past that.”

Honestly, I think that ship has sailed.  MF has not been funny in some time.

If it is the last season, I think Jay would be the most meaningful choice and could make the series end on a high, if a bit somber, note. This last season lacked humor while trying to be a comedy, but if they went a little darker with humor woven in, maybe that would help. But it would have to be at the end of the season, because Ed O'Neil is one of the few actors that I still find funny and occasionally poignant.

They like to say a "major character" will die, but viewers know that network hype machines are always in overdrive.

But in actuality, I think this is true. It'll probably turn out to be Arvin, Haley's most contrived-relationship boyfriend ever (who I can't stand, starting with that ridiculous "I've run calculations in my head..." bit that made me gag and roll my eyes) and will be nothing but a blip on the radar. 

• Love 3