Type keyword(s) to search

Modern Family in the Media

On 1/10/2020 at 1:36 PM, Artsda said:

Lol at Lily's not sad, don't care look. 

Mitchell also has a "trying to care" look, which matches up perfectly with his character.

On another note, I feel Ariel Winter must be spending ALL her syndication money on a publicist to get her name and photo out there because I can't open a Yahoo page lately without some ridiculous, "look at me" post of her in her underwear or some clothes that barely qualify as clothes with a lengthy, extremely hyperbolic and poorly written article about said picture. Like "Ariel Winter broke the internet with this pic...[insert long, net-speak filled, blathering article]" when in reality, no one outside of her regular IG followers would even have seen the pic if she wasn't paying someone to plaster the internet with them. 

I feel sorry for her because she clearly has self-esteem issues, but it seems like the worst possible way to deal with those issues. The comments are frequently cruel and most of them include some version of "who is this, again?"

It'd be nice if she could be proud of the accomplishment of being on such a massive hit show for years, but she seems determined to get validation solely through T&A. 

Edited by ljenkins782
4 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Mitchell also has a "trying to care" look, which matches up perfectly with his character.

On another note, I feel Ariel Winter must be spending ALL her syndication money on a publicist to get her name and photo out there because I can't open a Yahoo page lately without some ridiculous, "look at me" post of her in her underwear or some clothes that barely qualify as clothes with a lengthy, extremely hyperbolic and poorly written article about said picture. Like "Ariel Winter broke the internet with this pic...[insert long, net-speak filled, blathering article]" when in reality, no one outside of her regular IG followers would even have seen the pic if she wasn't paying someone to plaster the internet with them. 

I feel sorry for her because she clearly has self-esteem issues, but it seems like the worst possible way to deal with those issues. The comments are frequently cruel and most of them include some version of "who is this, again?"

It'd be nice if she could be proud of the accomplishment of being on such a massive hit show for years, but she seems determined to get validation solely through T&A. 

I click on some of those Yahoo articles just to read some of the comments.  There is something very disturbed about her complaining about "millions of strangers" commenting on her when she regularly posts skin pics on social media.  It would be pretty easy to eliminate comments by strangers if she would stop posting those ridiculous pics.  It's "look at me, look at me"  but "don't talk about me, don't talk about me".  Most of what is said about her is insulting and/or vulgar and most people don't find her more than middling attractive. 

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 1:05 PM, ljenkins782 said:

I feel much the same about Ariel Winter. 

She is an attractive young female, but far from anything special for Hollywood or even really most girls her own age. 

And I too don't understand what she or her publicist is trying to accomplish.  I see the same yahoo articles all the time, "Look at her how sexy she has become!" basically.  Is she trying to make herself into some young sexy starlet just out of insecurity and overcompensation, or does she really believe she can be that person?  Does she want to be that person? Seems like she likely has someone giving her bad advice. 

I think my feelings on her are a combination of annoying for putting out those articles and pity for her feeling or having someone talking her into doing it.  More annoyed probably with her publicist than her, but ultimately, she is now an adult and needs to have come control over it.  I know she had a rough childhood and lots of infighting with her family, but at some point as she ages she has to take some responsibility for her own image. 

On 1/27/2020 at 8:04 AM, MikaelaArsenault said:

I wonder how she died.

BASE jumping? 🙄

I never understood how the show reconciled her “loyalty” to Jay with her defection to the other closet company. I don’t think Jay would have ever taken her back.

• Love 1

One Day at Disney did a Modern Family episode, on Disney+

My favorite bit was Nolan showing how he and Ariel have their heights marked over the years on doorjamb from the Dunphy house set. Not Luke and Alex. Nolan and Ariel. Apparently they've been getting measured throughout the run of the show. 

• Love 4

Sarah Hyland is not happy with how Haley's story ends on Modern Family. She's also not happy with her diminished screen time: 

Or maybe it’s because Sarah’s character didn’t get the ending she deserved. Watch the final season, you’ll see: Haley suddenly has less screen time. It all came as a surprise and disappointment, tbh. Sarah wishes audiences could’ve seen Haley “own her badassery in the fashion world—becoming a badass stylist or brand mogul or anything like that.”

Instead, they got a new mom of twins. No offense to moms, of course: “There are so many amazing mothers who are also hard workers and excel at their jobs and kill it every day in both aspects,” Sarah explains. “That would have been a really cool thing to see, especially from someone like Haley.”

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/a31667187/sarah-hyland-cosmopolitan-cover-interview-may-2020/

She previously expressed displeasure with not being included in some episodes, particularly the one where Grandpa Frank dies: 

"So I don't read scripts of the episodes of Modern Family that I'm not in, so I just found out that my grandpa's dead along with all of you," she told fans. "I still feel special." ....

"Oh yeah, I guess I should have put a spoiler alert for Grandpa Frank dying, but I was just caught off-guard," she said. "As his granddaughter, you'd think I'd be invited to the funeral."

https://www.etonline.com/sarah-hyland-says-she-didnt-know-about-modern-family-death-until-she-watched-the-episode-139684

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Everleigh said:

Sarah Hyland is not happy with how Haley's story ends on Modern Family. She's also not happy with her diminished screen time: 

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/a31667187/sarah-hyland-cosmopolitan-cover-interview-may-2020/

She previously expressed displeasure with not being included in some episodes, particularly the one where Grandpa Frank dies: 

https://www.etonline.com/sarah-hyland-says-she-didnt-know-about-modern-family-death-until-she-watched-the-episode-139684

Now reading this with the series over, you really wonder what was going on to do this. We understood the past two seasons due to Sarah's health. However, now we are seeing that events that would have made "logical sense" were now that the writers just did things and then went: "Oh duh! That would make sense, but this is funny to us." Of course, like many actors she did what others have done: "Just smile and accept it and get a paycheck." 

Of course reading that Sarah really didn't think that getting back with Dylan ever made sense and having twins wasn't really Haley's end game. It's kind of why I get Ariel Winters attitude towards the last few years off screen. She was tired of Alex not really progressing and I'm sure she will say later on: "Why did Alex have to be treated like everything was her fault or guilted into these things." "Couldn't my character just be happy?" Of course Elliot Guald has started saying he has been unhappy the past few years and the writers pretty much proved that with all of Luke's dumb storylines the past three years. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, abc123 said:

Whatever happened to Luke's amazing form-filling-out invention?  This show drops storylines like a hot potato.

Yeah, just like magically he stopped trying to hook up with women over 35 or trying to hit on Manny's ex. I mean when they repeated the season premiere the other week, Luke didn't realize that Alex was in Antarctica. That was worst than the mobile devices episodes looking Haley thinking she married Andy. When no one decided: "Let me see if she is in her room." 

• Love 2

Or maybe it’s because Sarah’s character didn’t get the ending she deserved. Watch the final season, you’ll see: Haley suddenly has less screen time. It all came as a surprise and disappointment, tbh. Sarah wishes audiences could’ve seen Haley “own her badassery in the fashion world—becoming a badass stylist or brand mogul or anything like that.”

Instead, they got a new mom of twins. No offense to moms, of course: “There are so many amazing mothers who are also hard workers and excel at their jobs and kill it every day in both aspects,” Sarah explains. “That would have been a really cool thing to see, especially from someone like Haley.”

Really though? Let's review Haley's history, did nothing all through high school, barely made it into college, got kicked out after 6 weeks, and lived in her parents' basement for years and halfway worked at several jobs, not doing exceptionally well at any of them (she got a promotion at Nerp because the boss is a flaky nut, not because she worked for it). But she should have become a "mogul" just because...alrighty then.

Not that this show has ever dealt in reality or anything, but honestly, Haley winding up back with her high school boyfriend and accidentally pregnant is the most likely outcome for what we've seen of this character over 10 years. 

"So I don't read scripts of the episodes of Modern Family that I'm not in, so I just found out that my grandpa's dead along with all of you," she told fans. "I still feel special." ....

"Oh yeah, I guess I should have put a spoiler alert for Grandpa Frank dying, but I was just caught off-guard," she said. "As his granddaughter, you'd think I'd be invited to the funeral."

Now this part, I can understand. It was ridiculous that they'd have a memorial service for Frank with none of the Dunphy kids there. If they're budgeting for characters, thet would be the episode for Manny to sit out. Does the actor who plays Manny have a lower salary than the rest or what? Or perphaps a better agent? He seems to sit out the least of all the kids.

• Love 8

I never cared for Haley. I found her character uninteresting at best. She failed or half-assed everything bc people had told her she was special and so pretty her entire life, and she seemed to think that was all she needed. Then she got pregnant. Congratulations? If she'd ended up with Andy or the scientist I would've thought she'd at least try in life (to be a better person or decently educated.) Dylan, as dumb as he is, showed more growth and potential than she did. Haley becoming a kickass mom? If keeping babies alive is her definition of "kickass" then sure.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, readster said:

Now reading this with the series over, you really wonder what was going on to do this. We understood the past two seasons due to Sarah's health. However, now we are seeing that events that would have made "logical sense" were now that the writers just did things and then went: "Oh duh! That would make sense, but this is funny to us." Of course, like many actors she did what others have done: "Just smile and accept it and get a paycheck." 

Of course reading that Sarah really didn't think that getting back with Dylan ever made sense and having twins wasn't really Haley's end game. It's kind of why I get Ariel Winters attitude towards the last few years off screen. She was tired of Alex not really progressing and I'm sure she will say later on: "Why did Alex have to be treated like everything was her fault or guilted into these things." "Couldn't my character just be happy?" Of course Elliot Guald has started saying he has been unhappy the past few years and the writers pretty much proved that with all of Luke's dumb storylines the past three years. 

I think Sarah's absent from roughly the same amount of episodes as the Ariel, Nolan, and Rico, although  I've never counted. It seems like a few years back when the "kid actors" renegotiated their salaries, the show responded by putting them in less episodes to save money. While I do think the cast is bloated and dropping an actor or two from an episode every once in a while makes sense, each adult actor makes more than all 4 "kid" actors' salaries combined so why not write them out for one episode each season if they're looking to save money? 

4 hours ago, abc123 said:

Whatever happened to Luke's amazing form-filling-out invention?  This show drops storylines like a hot potato.

I was thinking about that last episode and wondering if they're going to end the series with him becoming super rich and successful as a result of this app. I know they haven't mentioned it since but I wouldn't be surprised if they suddenly brought it up again at the last minute. 

• Love 1

The adult "kids" were on Jimmy Kimmel last night. Rico Rodriguez seems to be as big of a tool as Manny is. Seriously, a shirt with his characters name? And a neck tie. You know this guy will never have a career after this and he is so hungry for one, it's just sad. I do like Ariel's new hair color, it's very flattering. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Really though? Let's review Haley's history, did nothing all through high school, barely made it into college, got kicked out after 6 weeks, and lived in her parents' basement for years and halfway worked at several jobs, not doing exceptionally well at any of them (she got a promotion at Nerp because the boss is a flaky nut, not because she worked for it). But she should have become a "mogul" just because...alrighty then.

Not that this show has ever dealt in reality or anything, but honestly, Haley winding up back with her high school boyfriend and accidentally pregnant is the most likely outcome for what we've seen of this character over 10 years. 

I'd like this a million times if I could.  I get Sarah's frustrations, but her character has been a hot mess from day one.  Wanting the character to end as a business mogul or fashion designer is crazy. 

Also, am I the only one who thinks it's weird that a recurring character doesn't read scripts of eps she's not in?  Wouldn't an actor want to know what's going on from a continuity standpoint? 

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I'd like this a million times if I could.  I get Sarah's frustrations, but her character has been a hot mess from day one.  Wanting the character to end as a business mogul or fashion designer is crazy. 

Also, am I the only one who thinks it's weird that a recurring character doesn't read scripts of eps she's not in?  Wouldn't an actor want to know what's going on from a continuity standpoint? 

From your lips to God's ears. Another thing are writers who just jump onto a show going: "I love this show, remember when this episode aired? I want to do those jokes and quirks too." Then you turn around and the characters end up doing something they either a) moved on a long time ago b) the main writers either got tired of or wrote off. c) they don't care to see what happened before and just do their "genius writing".

Sarah isn't the first and will for sure never be the last actor who does this. I just see at this moment in time, especially after the way Rico was talking. Some of them are not only full of themselves, but really trust more than they should in the people they work for. Of course, hey they have bills to pay too. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

The adult "kids" were on Jimmy Kimmel last night. Rico Rodriguez seems to be as big of a tool as Manny is. Seriously, a shirt with his characters name? And a neck tie. You know this guy will never have a career after this and he is so hungry for one, it's just sad. I do like Ariel's new hair color, it's very flattering. 

Thought this was a cute interview.   Sweet they will all miss Ed the most. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, tribeca said:

Over Ed O'Neil's career, many actors have said working with him has been such a fun experience and he apparently is that guy you just can't help, but be buds with. Great to see even a set of younger actors all agree.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, tribeca said:

I thought it was cute too. Sounds like they'll miss Ed the most because he's going to be chilling in his beach house in Hawaii and not keeping in touch, lol. 

Very glad Ariel finally ditched the Morticia Adams jet black, flat middle part look. She looks so much better with lighter hair.

I wish I could understand Nolan Gould a little better when he talks, it sounded like his "text from Julie Bowen" had a reference to Ariel and was potentially juicy, but he was half laughing/half mumbling and I couldn't make it out. 

I hope they have a similar interview with the adult cast, they always have a nice chemistry in group interviews.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I hope they have a similar interview with the adult cast, they always have a nice chemistry in group interviews.

The adult cast is on Kimmel tonight.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I thought it was cute too. Sounds like they'll miss Ed the most because he's going to be chilling in his beach house in Hawaii and not keeping in touch, lol. 

Very glad Ariel finally ditched the Morticia Adams jet black, flat middle part look. She looks so much better with lighter hair.

Ariel seems to dye it a different colour during the off season as she was blonde for the SVU episode she was in earlier this season.  Her colourist said Ariel never wants to go back to that colour ever again.

It doesn't surprise me that the kids will miss Ed.  Actors are lucky to be part of one long running series.  Ed was part of TWO.  

• Love 4
On 4/8/2020 at 4:02 PM, ljenkins782 said:

I wish I could understand Nolan Gould a little better when he talks

I will never understand why no one mandated he get speech therapy. It's emblematic of the laziness of the show that they really didn't care if anyone could understand what he was saying half the time.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I will never understand why no one mandated he get speech therapy. It's emblematic of the laziness of the show that they really didn't care if anyone could understand what he was saying half the time.

Also, I do not understand why magically he started being unable to talk. I mean it was like they hit a certain season, he was now older and he couldn't talk anymore. Never made sense, I also remember when they had him doing his "Trump Speeches" during his and Manny's senior year to become student president. He sounded like someone had punched him in the mouth when he spoke. It was really bad. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, readster said:

Also, I do not understand why magically he started being unable to talk. I mean it was like they hit a certain season, he was now older and he couldn't talk anymore. Never made sense, I also remember when they had him doing his "Trump Speeches" during his and Manny's senior year to become student president. He sounded like someone had punched him in the mouth when he spoke. It was really bad. 

I always thought he had a speech impediment, going all the way back to the beginning. It changed as his voice deepened, but the speech issues were always there, IMO.

(edited)
On 5/16/2020 at 11:53 AM, mtlchick said:

I was so sorry to hear this on Sunday morning -- I loved all of his appearances, but agree that he was not looking well in the final one or two.  It must have been hard to film the fictitious farewell to Fred.  If I am remembering right, he was mostly sitting in the final episode or two he was in.  Thank you for an endless stream of repeats as the loving Dunphy patriarch.  RIP.  

ETA:  This reminds me that I noticed him a few weeks ago in an early television appearance (around 1983?) as part of an audience scene on "Newhart" (the Vermont show), in the front row (uncredited).  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, freddi said:

I was so sorry to hear this on Sunday morning -- I loved all of his appearances, but agree that he was not looking well in the final one or two.  It must have been hard to film the fictitious farewell to Fred.  If I am remembering right, he was mostly sitting in the final episode or two he was in.  Thank you for an endless stream of repeats as the loving Dunphy patriarch.  RIP.  

ETA:  This reminds me that I noticed him a few weeks ago in an early television appearance (around 1983?) as part of an audience scene on "Newhart" (the Vermont show), in the front row (uncredited).  

Having Fred dead now makes his final episode not only more tragic, but also shows being robbed as his grand children were NOWHERE in the episode. Not to mention his great grandchildren. The show really screwed that up. We got a great  moment with Phil, remembering all the great times and so forth. However, as Sarah and Ariele put it in post show interviews. "We were his grandchildren and yet we are not in his final episode, you think that would have been important." 

On 2/3/2021 at 4:16 AM, Kiddvideo said:

All 11 seasons are on Hulu now. Glad I won’t have to watch the last seasons again bc that’s what was on USA or whatever. The early seasons really were quite good.

Oh good, my DVR can stop taping those same godawful late season episodes and I can revisit the earlier seasons at my leisure.