Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Ghost Your Baby

• Start Topic

There were some super fun meta moments in tonight's episode, though. Fiona's speech about how screwed up everything has been so far this season, whose baby she's pregnant with, "Sean's.. Maybe Gus's.. possibly Jimmys". I was happy the show even remembered that little bit of info, thought they would be skipping over that little plot line. 

Does anyone even enjoy Frank anymore? I.. just don't get it. WHM is great, I'm not disputing anything of that but the character just grates. Anytime he does anything on the show it makes me not want to watch anymore.

I really thought Debbie would be all angry at Fiona being pregnant but instead wants to have it be a bonding pregnancy? The hell?  

Poor Ian. I felt really bad for him during the scenes with him and Lip at college.  But I felt like that this moment, them fighting over Lip being "the smart brother" was a long time coming. But also I suppose him saving that woman is going to lead to him wanting to save people now?

Well, Gus and his song are kind of right. Should I be feeling bad for Fiona because I don't. Yes, her situation isn't great but all the stuff with Gus and Sean and everything is of her own doing. Gus was a good guy-too good- to her and she treated him horribly. His song is 100% right. 

Also, making the character Sean less likeable every episode they can. I don't think I can like any less and then another episode comes. Ugh. I don't like him at all. 

Also, another high-five to Fiona for her speech about what's going to happen if Debbie has this baby. She is getting kicked out. I hope if this happens, that is followed through. Because that is the ONLY way Debbie would learn. Fiona can talk and talk and talk about all the things she won't be doing, but if she didn't kick Debbie out, chances are she will be doing these things for the baby. 

Carl's subplot was hilarious. 

And now the Gallaghers are going to get evicted?  I'm still meh on this season. I know, it's only episode three but I really thought I would like some of the direction they were going in.  The only thing I really like now is seeing that Ian is possibly doing something more with his life. 

• Love 3

I just found the whole episode depressing and the teacher-gun vignette wasn't funny. At all.

Well, his parts were the only thing that made me laugh. I agree the whole episode was pretty sad. I have no idea where the show is going and honestly as of late with this show, question where it's going now and what they plan on doing. It really has no cohesive story. I don't really like any of the characters anymore. 

Wow, surprised by all the negativity here because I LOVED this ep! I can't remember the last time I had so much fun watching Shameless! Yes the pacing, tone and emotional beats will give you whiplash, but that's what makes it so good!

I loved it. Fiona finally acknowledging that her own life is a disaster and she's not in a position to try and run anyone else's! But also simultaneously loving Deb and refusing to cut her any slack about her own shitty decisions (Seriously, I don't think Fiona would ever actually cut Deb off, but Deb has not yet internalized that she will be on her own in looking after her child, and if she really wants to keep it, then she really needs to understand what she's getting herself into and not be expecting anyone else to put their life on hold to support her idiocy)! And getting closure with Gus that totally acknowledges that she's the bad guy! And telling Shaun the truth and not letting him give her any shit about it! I just loved everything about her story this week, even though it was rough, it all needed to happen.

And Ian finally getting something to do besides wander around like a zombie and waffle on whether or not to take his meds! He has needed a direction for so long, and hopefully this lights a fire under his ass. If he is inspired to become a firefighter, as this latest development seems to suggest, he'll actually have something to work toward! And Lip realizing that Ian's dreams are dead and that he has basically nothing left, and maybe deciding to be there for Ian and show him some support! If these plotlines come together, as I hope they will, then Ian will need to go back to high school or get a GED to move forward, reconnecting him with his siblings in high school, and Lip will become more involved with the family too, moving back toward that interconnected Gallagher dynamic that made the show so much fun in earlier seasons!

And Frank finally has something to do this week besides mope creepily about his dead girlfriend! Watching him advise Debbie on which deformities she should try and get her baby to have in order to get the most out of welfare reminded me why this character was on the show in the first place!

And Carl selling guns to all the teachers, so that the show can poke fun at the "more guns makes us safer from guns" mentality that is going to get someone killed very soon, in the lighthearted way that only Shameless can pull off! I laughed my ass off at the cafeteria panic scene, not going to lie!

The Kev and Vee stuff was "meh," but I'm hanging in there to see how it all turns out.

This episode seemed to tick off a lot of boxes for what people have been complaining about the show missing or moving away from over the past couple of seasons. I am very cautiously heartened by the direction things seem to be taking!

• Love 12

Fiona telling Debbie that she would not support her having the baby was harsh but great. Debbie obviously expects her family (aka FIONA) to pitch in and help her, as evidenced by Debbie telling someone earlier in the episode that they could have their babies together and then Fiona could watch Debbie's kid for her since she would already be watching her own baby. Who does she think will be paying the bills if Fiona stays home all day with their two babies?

I was so glad when Fiona pointed out that if Frank was the only one on Debbie's side, she should be concerned because that's what I thought as soon as Debbie said it. Obviously it means you are making a really stupid decision if Frank is the only one who is even remotely supportive.

When Gus said he had written a song about Fiona, I knew that scene was not going to end well. It actually wasn't as mean as it could have been.

I was afraid that if Sean found out Fiona was pregnant, he would want her to keep it so I'm glad he hasn't said anything along those lines (yet?). Please let her get to the clinic and have an abortion and put an end to this storyline.

While I feel for Ian, blaming Lip for the way his life is right now was stupid. I get why Ian is frustrated with Fiona constantly asking if he's taken his meds and then yelling at him at work (for the record, he totally deserved to be yelled at by Fiona when he was late or being too slow) and having this series of dead end jobs, but as Lip pointed out, no one made Ian drop out of high school (Ian is lucky that Lip isn't still mad at him for joining the military under his name) and no one is stopping Ian from finishing high school so he can do something besides mop up puke and bus tables. No, he isn't a super nerd like Lip but that doesn't mean he's stupid. He can still make choices that will lead him to doing things besides janitorial work. I'm not saying he has to go to college either, just that being a high school dropout doesn't lend itself to great jobs.

• Love 6

Oh, I hope Fiona doesn't change her mind and ends up keeping the baby. Would the show do that? I mean, the last thing this show needs is more babies, actually. I think the fact that there's a possibility that they plan on adding two more.  I don't think Sean is going to convince to have the baby, I think that a baby might be the last thing he wants right now, but who knows anymore. It's for sure the last thing he needs, considering he's like now dealing with his slip up.

And yeah  Debbie found out Fiona was also pregnant, this sealed what Debbie's plan was all along, Fiona would watch her kid but now it wasn't such a problem because Fiona would have a baby too. As I said earlier, Fiona setting her straight was my favorite thing ever. 

• Love 1

Since Sean doesn't have custody of his kid (and didn't his ex move to another state last season?), he may see Fiona being pregnant as a chance to be a better dad this time and then try to guilt trip her into keeping it. I really hope that doesn't happen because neither of them should add having a kid to their current stress level. As Fiona said, maybe in ten years she can have a kid but not now.

(edited)

Carl's scenes with Dominique were hilarious. I love that she and her dad have no time for his bull shit.

I actually thought that Dominique was going to end up liking Nick instead of Carl, so I'm just glad that hasn't happened.

I love that Carl used some of his gun money to buy groceries. And not just regular groceries - cage free organic eggs!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

Carl's scenes with Dominique were hilarious. I love that she and her dad have no time for his bull shit.

I actually thought that Dominique was going to end up liking Nick instead of Carl, so I'm just glad that hasn't happened.

I love that Carl used some of his gun money to buy groceries. And not just regular groceries - cage free organic eggs!

Carl is one of the bright spots of this season. For me, anyway. I like that he is contributing to the family. Last week, he tried to give money as well to help but Fiona refused to take it. 

I hope that Sean doesn't make Fiona keep the baby because he ends up missing his son-and yes, the wife moved out of state for a job she got and she has primary custody due to Sean's issue- because like Fiona said, she doesn't even know whose kid it is. And I know I should feel bad that Gus wrote a song and played it in front of everyone, but I don't. Not one bit. The song is true. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl

And Ian finally getting something to do besides wander around like a zombie and waffle on whether or not to take his meds! He has needed a direction for so long, and hopefully this lights a fire under his ass. If he is inspired to become a firefighter, as this latest development seems to suggest, he'll actually have something to work toward! And Lip realizing that Ian's dreams are dead and that he has basically nothing left, and maybe deciding to be there for Ian and show him some support! If these plotlines come together, as I hope they will, then Ian will need to go back to high school or get a GED to move forward, reconnecting him with his siblings in high school, and Lip will become more involved with the family too, moving back toward that interconnected Gallagher dynamic that made the show so much fun in earlier seasons!

I wish I had any faith that this is actually where Ian and Lip's story was going, because I would want to watch that. But I don't. I'm fairly certain that last night's episode is the only real focus on Ian and Lip's sibling relationship we're getting all season, and they rushed through it. That could have been a multi-episode arc, but unfortunately the show in its current iteration prefers to focus on new characters and love interests instead of infinitely more interesting family dynamics. I think the final shot of Ian's story last night made it clear that it's headed towards a new love interest for him (something I have absolutely no interest in on the heels of his ice cold dismissal of Mickey), and Lip's story will be shifting back to focus on his doomed relationship with Helene. I hope that some of what you wrote here will make it into Ian's arc this season, but I think that aspect of his story will be more marginalized than I'd prefer.

Since Sean doesn't have custody of his kid (and didn't his ex move to another state last season?), he may see Fiona being pregnant as a chance to be a better dad this time and then try to guilt trip her into keeping it. I really hope that doesn't happen because neither of them should add having a kid to their current stress level. As Fiona said, maybe in ten years she can have a kid but not now.

Fiona's unequivocal statement that she doesn't want this baby and doesn't feel any uncertainty about that was my favorite part of this episode. It's such a rare and refreshing thing to see on television, and feels very true to Fiona and where her life is right now. In my opinion, it's the thing that makes the fairly ludicrous double pregnancy story tolerable, so if they go back on that, or find a non-abortion way for Fiona to get out of this pregnancy, I'll feel cheated.

• Love 6

Re: Ian and the auto accident. I was thinking he might be blamed for and arrested for causing the accident. The other driver ran away and he is in a condition where he could be considered a drunk driver. Just saying.

I believe The Gallagher's or one of the Gallagher's own their home, therefore:

EVICTION NOTICE: A person cannot be "evicted" from their home. There are other operations of law that would result in a person losing their home. However, none would be properly called an eviction.

• In a domestic case, a judge could issue an order removing one party from their home.
  • A town could take the property for non-payment of property taxes.
  • A lender could take the property by foreclosure if the borrower defaults on the mortgage.
  • The government could take the property by a forfeiture in a criminal case.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1

I vaguely remember some sort of harebrained scheme where the Gallaghers locked in a cheap rent? But I was confused about the eviction notice too.

Fiona's reactions to her and Debbie's pregnancies was my favorite thing about this episode. I found it refreshing that she's not on the fence about abortion. And I loved watching Emmy Rossum's face change when she found out that Debbie got knocked up on purpose. That steely resolve was amazing. I don't know what Debbie will do, but I really hope Fiona sticks to her resolve and kicks her out if she decides to keep it. When Debbie was all "NBD, Fiona can just watch my baby while I go to school!" I wanted to smack her.

Fiona better give Gus back that ring. I didn't like that song, not because Fiona didn't deserve it (she did) but because I thought it was beneath Gus.

I liked seeing Lip so engaged in school, and I found his interaction with Ian very realistic. Looks like Ian is getting a new love interest.

The arming teachers storyline bugged me, but the confrontation between him and his classmate's father had me rolling.

• Love 1

I believe The Gallagher's or one of the Gallagher's own their home, 

Nope, it's owned by an Uncle who only let them stay because they kind of blackmailed him.  So my guess was he either sold the house, now that it's actually worth a decent amount due to the gentrification, or he's kicking them out, again due to the amount of money he could get due to the gentrification.  Or as I saw mentioned elsewhere, maybe he didn't pay the taxes on the home and the state took possession.  

• Love 4
(edited)

I think after the whole Aunt Ginger fiasco, one of their uncles became the owner of the house. I remember he was going to kick them out and then they blackmailed him into letting them stay. My guess is that the uncle stopped paying the mortgage or owes taxes on the house because in the preview for next week, Fiona says that

the house is up for auction.

I agree that it's nice to see Lip really adjusted to being a college student and being responsible. As a freshman, Lip probably would have blown off his responsibilities to hang out with Ian for the afternoon, so hearing him say that he had school stuff to do but that they could hang out later made me happy that Lip is putting school first, making a conscious effort to do so, and he isn't sliding by or self sabotaging.

ITA that Fiona needs to give that ring back to Gus. Wasn't it his grandmother's or something? I didn't think the song was beneath him. I think it was probably very cathartic, both to write it and to sing it to her.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5

Nope, it's owned by an Uncle who only let them stay because they kind of blackmailed him.  So my guess was he either sold the house, now that it's actually worth a decent amount due to the gentrification, or he's kicking them out, again due to the amount of money he could get due to the gentrification.  Or as I saw mentioned elsewhere, maybe he didn't pay the taxes on the home and the state took possession.  

That's the harebrained scheme I was thinking of! Thanks.

Dominique's Dad literally laughing in Carl's face got big LOL's from me, as did all his teachers whipping out their pieces when a canteen tray was dropped.

The song was a dick move from Gus. I know she hurt him, but that sort of public flaying was way out of order.

Loved Fiona giving Debbie a big fat truth sandwich. Still, it's hard to tell a teenager they are wrong. I remember being that age, and I shudder to think what went through my head back then.

Very relieved that the car accident/rescue seemed to stop Ian committing suicide, but if that is the way they intended, I hope the fact  that he was on the brink of something so drastic is at least discussed again. And he's found a hunky fireman to fall for. Bonus.

Edited by Gulftastic
  • Love 2

Thanks for those details about the Gallaghers living arrangements. I was confused about the eviction notice too; no mention of trouble with the property taxes or complaints from the city. Thought maybe it was implementing eminent domaine so it could reap taxes from new gentrified owners.

I think after the whole Aunt Ginger fiasco, one of their uncles became the owner of the house.

Actually it's their cousin, and he beat them to the punch by faking a death certificate so he could get the title to the house - which is exactly what they were trying to do. They got a dead body from the rest home where Vee works, brought it home, pretended it was Aunt Ginger (and even cut off her toe to match) then called 911 and acted like she'd just died so they could get a death certificate. When they took it to the title office they found out their cousin had already pulled this stunt and he had the title. I can't remember what they blackmailed him with the force him to let them continue living there. I do remember they have to pay him rent though.

I didn't realize until now that Fiona had "ghosted" Gus. All they said in the premier was that they were separated. So she just disappeared without explanation?!? Wow. She really is a garbage person isn't she?

On the other hand, Gus knows where she lives - he's been to the Gallagher house more than once so there was nothing stopping him from coming over to see what was up, and that's kind of what he gets for marrying someone he barely knew. But Fiona just isn't relationship material, for anyone.

The best part was Fiona telling Debbie she's on her own in no uncertain terms, especially after Debbie was telling her school mate she expected Fiona to watch her baby for her. Her delusions continue to annoy the hell out of me. I'm betting ultimately she gives the baby up for adoption. I just hope Fiona doesn't waver in her determination to abort because like someone above said, I would feel cheated with any other resolution. 

• Love 2

I loved this episode!  This is the "Shameless" I love best.  No Helena and no dead-girlfriend-mourning were huge improvements right there, but the show had a lot more to offer.

Since Fiona had said to Gus, "Can we talk after?", I wish she and Vee had waited and had that talk.  "Fine, you got me.  Now for the reason I came here tonight: to apologize and return your grandmother's ring.  So - I'm sorry, here's the ring, and let's get divorced as soon as possible."  At least that part of the story would be tied up.  She still needs to return that ring, and a divorce would also be nice.

All of the Gallaghers are better when they're interacting with each other, rather than off on their own storylines.  Carl grew up seeing Fiona, Lip, Ian, and even Debbie with her babysitting, all contributing the fruits of their efforts to the family's benefit.  Now that he's a big moneymaker, what does he do?  Buy food for the family, and not on the cheap, either!  I was proud of Carl for that, and Fiona should be proud, too, because she raised him.  There's a lot about Carl to cause consternation and horror, but he's loyal to his family.  Frank is 100% more tolerable when he's part of the family story, and his expert guidance of Debbie through the welfare system was fun to watch.  Frank is actually smart, maybe as smart as Lip - as we learned in their heart-to-heart in a previous season - and the welfare lesson and his fluent Spanish with the evictees remind us of the potential he had, and what he could have been.  

Debbie did, indeed, show her hand in this episode.  For all her brave talk about "I will take care of my baby! I don't want you [Fiona] anywhere near it!", she grew up watching Fiona raise Gallaghers, and she was taking for granted that Fiona would raise this one too.  And when Debbie told her that the pregnancy was planned, that she'd lied to her boyfriend about being on the pill, shock and anger were Fiona's inevitable reaction.  She'd been stuck with a family to raise, when she wasn't much older than Debbie is now, due to Frank's and Monica's irresponsibility.  Debbie needed to be informed that she can't take on responsibility on others' behalf; if she takes this on it will be HER responsibility alone; and Fiona got that message across in no uncertain terms.

• Love 5

I can't blame Fiona for leaving after the song.  The dick move was him point out Fiona for the crowd before singing about how terrible a person she was.  It'd be different if he just sang the song (and Fiona deserves all the anger he had) but pointing her out to the crowd is kind of a dick move (although somewhat justified).

• Love 2

Well, I thought the F song was priceless. Although I would hate to be someone named Fiona IRL today if anyone was mad at me.

That baby is Jimmy's, folks! He's coming back and he and Fiona will live happily ever after. Ha, just kidding. I hope. 

• Love 1

I'll preface by saying I support Fiona's stance on not taking care of Debbie's baby and appreciated her speech. I can't see her or the rest of the non-Frank Gallaghers leaving Debbie high and dry, but I understand the fear tactic.

Most (all?) of Debbie's life has been through cooperative rearing. From the start of the show, everybody's pitched in as was mentioned above. We've seen how Liam is raised, with multiple Gallaghers being actively involved. (I'm intentionally trying to not say "helping out" or "pitching in" because those phrases make it sound like it's not the norm or that it's supplemental.). We've seen the stability fall out from under them with Lip moving away and Ian being less stable.

With all that in mind, I don't see Debbie as just assuming someone else will just "help out." I see her as someone who thinks it's totally normal and expected that the household all pitches in. It's a scramble, but they survive by scrambling together. Of course, the weakness there is that the Gallaghers are growing up and some are realizing they don't want to be responsible for everybody anymore.

• Love 1

Actually it's their cousin, and he beat them to the punch by faking a death certificate so he could get the title to the house - which is exactly what they were trying to do. They got a dead body from the rest home where Vee works, brought it home, pretended it was Aunt Ginger (and even cut off her toe to match) then called 911 and acted like she'd just died so they could get a death certificate. When they took it to the title office they found out their cousin had already pulled this stunt and he had the title. I can't remember what they blackmailed him with the force him to let them continue living there. I do remember they have to pay him rent though.

I didn't realize until now that Fiona had "ghosted" Gus. All they said in the premier was that they were separated. So she just disappeared without explanation?!? Wow. She really is a garbage person isn't she?

On the other hand, Gus knows where she lives - he's been to the Gallagher house more than once so there was nothing stopping him from coming over to see what was up, and that's kind of what he gets for marrying someone he barely knew. But Fiona just isn't relationship material, for anyone.

The best part was Fiona telling Debbie she's on her own in no uncertain terms, especially after Debbie was telling her school mate she expected Fiona to watch her baby for her. Her delusions continue to annoy the hell out of me. I'm betting ultimately she gives the baby up for adoption. I just hope Fiona doesn't waver in her determination to abort because like someone above said, I would feel cheated with any other resolution. 

They tried to poison him while he was making repairs at the house first. When that didn't work, Debbie told their cop neighbor that he had touched or molested her. He agreed to their demands so he wouldn't be arrested.

This episode had way too much Sean and not enough Gus for me. Gus wasn't the lead singer of the band before, was he?

I wasn't very enthused about Carl's storyline this season, but at least he's showing some concern for others and taking care of his siblings. Debbie and Frank are just annoying to me, as is the whole Yanis/LisaLisa mess Kev and V are dealing with.

This season continues to be soooo much better than the last one(s). I really didn't think the writers could turn this around, but so far it seems they actually can.

Poor Ian. I felt really bad for him during the scenes with him and Lip at college.  But I felt like that this moment, them fighting over Lip being "the smart brother" was a long time coming. But also I suppose him saving that woman is going to lead to him wanting to save people now?

I think it will lead to him boning a hot fireman and I'm all for it!

Well, Gus and his song are kind of right. Should I be feeling bad for Fiona because I don't. Yes, her situation isn't great but all the stuff with Gus and Sean and everything is of her own doing. Gus was a good guy-too good- to her and she treated him horribly. His song is 100% right.

I don't think we are supposed to sympathise with Fiona here. The writers seem to have been listening to the fans and are trying to correct some mistakes this season. One of them being Fiona not facing enough consequences for her fucked up behaviour, everybody enabling her and nobody speaking up. She deserved that song and it seemed like she thought so, too. Edited by Miles
  • Love 2

Best episode of the season so far. Loved Gus' song. Fee totally deserved it. Sorry, she just did.

And Debs totally deserved Fiona's truthful, straight-forward tough love. It hurt my heart for Debbie but it also crushed Fiona to have to take that stance.

Emmy Rossum should have a shelf lined with Emmys by now.

Did it say 'eviction' on that notice? I'm wondering because I thought maybe the neighbors had reported Frank moving in all the people camping in the back yard.

• Love 3

We are only three episodes into the season so I think the show is still building each characters season long storyline.

Fiona dealing with the men in her life and as always her fracturing family.

Lip flourishes at school but his complicated relationships with two complicated professors threaten to tear him apart.

I am not sure about Ian but my guess is him dealing with is bipolar and trying to have a normal life.

Carl trying to thug it and have a girl who wants no part of the lifestyle.

I will include Frank and Debbie together because I think they are actually gold together. Frank needs a Monica and right now Debbie is acting like one. The two of them together could Bonnie and Clyde it quite nicely through the show at least for a season before Debb's better angels find her again.

• Love 2

Holy crap, why was that so good?!  I normally spend half an episode rolling my eyes but I am finding this season kind of riveting.  

The writing for Fiona is so much better, and far more believable.

My only ambivalence:  I can't tell if I'm supposed to be confused by Sean (is that his name? I don't know) "the perfect fit" and Sean Total Shell Game Heroin Addict Frank Substitute because I hate him no matter what.  Which, plot-wise, may work out fine, since very few demonstratively annoying characters get away scot-free in this show.  WHY THAT VOICE?  Seriously, am I missing the register here, like is this Mulroney's iconic douche-bag acting.  I don't care.  I look forward to his overdose.

Omg, when Fiona doing Chris Moltasanti pin-ball eyes when she realized that Debbie was asking for a hard line, amazing Rossum.  

Keep going, Shameless, I'm more into it than I have been in years.

Edited by runforcover
  • Love 4

We are only three episodes into the season so I think the show is still building each characters season long storyline.

I am not sure about Ian but my guess is him dealing with is bipolar and trying to have a normal life.

For Ian, I think the episode kind of spelt it out.  Since we met him he wanted to join the military, it was his driving force throughout the series.  But now that he was kicked out that dream is dead and so he's been kind of aimless ever since.  I'm thinking (hoping) we see some forward progress for Ian.  Maybe he decides to work towards being a firefighter.  But whatever the goal is, it would also help him feel different from Monica.

Gus was a dick.

He was actually a dick most of the time he was on last season, from running to marry a girl he barely knew because his parents did, to stopping Fiona from going on tour with the band.  I think she made an early mistake, she copped to it, and then he decided not to forgive her. Maybe that's asking to much, but you don't publicly humiliate someone who's making an effort (even if they hurt you) and get to call yourself a good guy. 

I think Fiona screwed up, but she also wasn't ready to marry him and she knew it. He should have known it to. By my guess, Fee is about 24, maybe 25, and he's at least a decade older. Gus hooked up with her after a very very rough year, and of course she was in turmoil. Then the guy she thought was dead (or at least gone forever) and she falters. Not great, but not unexpected at that age, either. 

And then when she makes an effort -- and Gus never made any sort of effort -- you humiliate her in the way a high-school sophomore (All I could think about was the song "Joe Lies" from Say Anything.  It was a mean, deliberate attempt to hurt, and she'd done nothing at all to warrant it. Grown ups ought to be above that, and being the spoiled little baby he is, he wasn't.

So Gus is a dick. 

I thought that was the worst I've ever seen of Frank. And Debbie, too, because for all her posturing, what she really wants is a doll to play with, and then let someone else take care of. Glad Fiona let her know, but Debbie wont' really understand. Maybe Lip could call the couple who planned on adopting Karen's baby just to see if they were still hoping to adopt. He seemed to have a report with them, and if Debbie's connive bed to have the baby, maybe that's an option once she realizes the hardness of the situation. Probably not, but it's something. 

I also think we're overdue for a Karen return, just to fuck up Lip's life a bit more. Maybe. 

• Love 3

Vee's reactions were cracking me up throughout the episode.

First her and Fiona's laughing about Fiona's pregnancy & multiple baby daddy situation, then her disbelief at Gus song, then her asides to Kev & the Gallaghers during Fiona's 'interbortion'.

Shanola Hampton is a gift.

• Love 7

I still like the show, but my enjoyment is somewhat diminished because of tendency of making each Fiona´s and Lip´s sexual partner less interesting then previous one. Karen was  the best, Mandy was worse, but still good, Amanda worse then Mandy, but still ok, but Helena? I dont see any chemistry or interesting storyline there. Fiona is on similar trajectory from Jimmy/Steve to Sean.

• Love 1

I still like the show, but my enjoyment is somewhat diminished because of tendency of making each Fiona´s and Lip´s sexual partner less interesting then previous one. Karen was the best, Mandy was worse, but still good, Amanda worse then Mandy, but still ok, but Helena? I dont see any chemistry or interesting storyline there. Fiona is on similar trajectory from Jimmy/Steve to Sean.

Heh. I am the opposite of you at least for Lip. I hated Karen and I am glad she is gone. I thought Lip and Mandy were gold together but I am really enjoying Lip and the professor. Lip has serious uhhh mommy issues so having him sleep with his teacher who has a son his age is so many kinds of awesome. Especially since Lip has a tendency to fall in love with the women he has sex with.

Fiona as the show has pointed out at least once...dates pussies. I don't think I have liked any of fhem. So at least she is consistant.

Edited by Chaos Theory

Best episode of the season so far. Loved Gus' song. Fee totally deserved it. Sorry, she just did.

I agree. Totally put me in mind of the Olivia Newton-John song from the Sordid Lives series several years ago. Richard deserved it too.

I have mixed feelings about Ian's moment with the hot fireman. On one hand, I love the potential of seeing if there would be any effect on Ian if he spent some time with a non-sociopath. On the other hand, I wouldn't wish getting involved with a Gallagher on anyone - it never turns out well.

• Love 2

For Ian, I think the episode kind of spelt it out.  Since we met him he wanted to join the military, it was his driving force throughout the series.  But now that he was kicked out that dream is dead and so he's been kind of aimless ever since.  I'm thinking (hoping) we see some forward progress for Ian.  Maybe he decides to work towards being a firefighter.  But whatever the goal is, it would also help him feel different from Monica.

I think it is simpler then that.   Lip was talking to a friend towards the end of the episode I think the lines go like this.

Lip:  "Ian thinks being bipolar means he is doomed to be a piece of shit like our mother.  Maybe its true."

Lip's Friend  "Maybe it's not.

I think essentially that's ian's storyline this season.  Is Ian doomed to be like Monica or can he find a path an find some happiness?  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

I have despised Fiona the last two seasons, but I loved her last night (well, I watched it last night). Loved her telling Sean her decision was not up for discussion, that she would not be judged for not knowing which man had gotten her pregnant (normally I think that's a bit of asking for a side-eye, but Sean is a recently relapsed heroin addict who knowingly got involved with a woman who married a guy after one date and recently slept with another, so I agree he shouldn't judge), loved her understanding that Gus still had a lot of anger and that his anger was justified, if not his public humiliation of her, but most of all, loved, loved, loved Fiona's disbelief turned anger when Debbie admitted she had gotten pregnant on purpose.

The one thing I wish the show had done though, instead of making Fiona unsure of the paternity, was have it unequivocally understood it was Sean. Sean strikes me as the jealous type, so he might not fight too hard her decision to abort knowing it could be Gus's or Jimmy's. But if he knew it was he that had gotten her pregnant, that would be an interesting storyline because I bet he would not be supportive of her decision.

This show has ruined Debbie. I get it, 15 year olds are not that mature and can be very unrealistic. But Debbie goes to a school where teenage pregnancy is a thing. She lives in a house where there is frequently no heat, groceries, working appliances, and all kids have been taken into foster care at least a couple times. She has to know this is a terrible idea bringing a baby into this. I get she thought she would just move in with Derek but now that she knows that is off the table, I can't believe she still wants to go through with it. And unlike Fiona, she actually had an affinity for school work, and even if she's not a genius like Lip, with her grades and economic background she could probably get into a decent college with either scholarships or financial aid. She's really turned into a selfish little asshole.

Did love Frank's advice. Club foot is worth extra money, so maybe ease up on your prenatals. But (something, can't remember what) pays more but also costs more, so don't ditch the folic acid completely. And then telling the woman at the clinic that Fiona had both a boyfriend and a husband.

• Love 1

Vee's reactions were cracking me up throughout the episode.

First her and Fiona's laughing about Fiona's pregnancy & multiple baby daddy situation, then her disbelief at Gus song, then her asides to Kev & the Gallaghers during Fiona's 'interbortion'.

Shanola Hampton is a gift.

And Vee using the interbortion to try to talk Debbie out of having her baby. She is just the best.

Carl's story pushes the envelope of humor, but that's what Shameless does. I'm finding it hilarious and the actor is fantastic. He reminds me of someone doing a Justin Bieber impression half the time, trying to be serious and "hard."

• Love 1

Does anyone even enjoy Frank anymore? I.. just don't get it. WHM is great, I'm not disputing anything of that but the character just grates. Anytime he does anything on the show it makes me not want to watch anymore.

Yeah WHM is great and the biggest name on the show but Frank should have died several seasons ago, he's just no longer entertaining to me.

• Love 2

I think it is simpler then that.   Lip was talking to a friend towards the end of the episode I think the lines go like this.

Lip:  "Ian thinks being bipolar means he is doomed to be a piece of shit like our mother.  Maybe its true."

Lip's Friend  "Maybe it's not.

I think essentially that's ian's storyline this season.  Is Ian doomed to be like Monica or can he find a path an find some happiness?  

What I thought was interesting about that scene was that Lip didn't acknowledge that Ian feels that way in part because his siblings told him he's just like Monica. The moment he was diagnosed, all they did was compare him to Monica and shove her faults in his face and expect the worst from him. It was one of the most frustrating parts of season 5. I would have liked to see Lip own up to that and express some guilt. 

Also, knowing this show and its love of parallels and unwillingness to ever let Ian be happy for long, I have a strong feeling that the answer to this question is a foregone conclusion.

Edited by stagmania

Shameless may be all over the map, but Emmy Rossum nails it down.

Emmy Rossum and the things she can do with her face are the best reason to watch this show, and they are plenty reason enough.

Her line readings at the end of last episode upon being told that she was pregnant ("What?" "What?"). Her face in Cascading Failures back in the middle of season 3, when Fiona listens to the tip that Frank called in to Child Protective Services. The Fiona character is clearly the heart of the show, and Rossum blows everyone and everything else out of the water.

I also agree - the Fiona/Lip team is the best team on TV. Too bad they have more or less hung up their capes.

• Love 2

This episode had way too much Sean and not enough Gus for me. Gus wasn't the lead singer of the band before, was he?

I don't know who the original "lead" singer was supposed to be, but it was another guy in the band who first started flirting with Fiona at Patty's Pies, and invited her to hear them play at a bar. When she showed up the guy's girlfriend was there and she felt stupid, and that's when Gus stepped in and pretended he was her date just so she could save face. Then they slept together and got married in like a day. 

I don't really have a lot of sympathy for Gus here; I think he knew enough about FIona's history to know better than to jump into a marriage with her and expect anything more than what eventually happened. But until this episode I hadn't realized Fiona just sort of "ghosted" him without any explanation - they hadn't specified that until now, and to me that makes Fiona look a lot worse than Gus.

I also thought he also looked a lot better with his beard trimmed but that's just a personal preference.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 2