Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

Returning player seasons don't seem to do well in the ratings.  KR had better ratings than SC I believe, and I think WA also had higher ratings as well.  I notice that their are posters on YouTube who must embed the videos and post them to their own channel.   Typically CBS has been getting rid of most of the clips at the end of each season, but there's a poster who has a lot of the extra clips and Ponderosas posted to their channel.  I had wondered if they were trying to crack down on that.

It probably is though a mix of greed and trying to steer web traffic to their site.  I don't know exactly how advertising works, but they show ads even if you have the all access so I don't if that would be it (and if you want to pay an extra $4 a month you can be ad free on there-I considered it because they show so freaking many).

Edited by LadyChatts

I pay for ad-free CBS All Access and still had to wait through some ad before one of the bonus clips played.  When I first stepped up to ad-free I complained about the continuing ads and was told it's only free of outside ads, not CBS promos.  But lately I don't get those on my TV, which is using the CBS app through a Fire stick.  I bet that Beauty and the Beast ad I saw through the CBS site on my tablet was a CBS promo.  

CBS is really devious.  I used to buy the Survivor seasons on Amazon to stream but they kept not releasing the finale eps to Amazon until like 4-5 days after it aired, even though the normal embargo time is like midnight on the air date.  So if you're a cord cutter and don't want to have the finale spoiled and avoid discussions for a week, CBS All Access is your only option.  

If you go to Youtube there's a channel called Outwit, Outplay, Outlast that has some of the extra videos.  I don't believe that's an official CBS channel so they may not be there long.  That person may have gotten them from the reddit link.

Edited by LadyChatts

HA! I'm guessing the others thought Scot was a really enthusiastic older ball boy. At least he can "celebrate" the anniversary with Kyle Jason. Those two pantloads deserve each other. I want Tai to go far this season if that pisses them off.

• Love 4

Second time Scot's been ignored for his athletic past.  During that podcast with Max, he said that some publication went through all of the pro athletes who have competed on Survivor.  Guess who they left out?

• Love 3
On 3/10/2017 at 7:29 PM, LanceM said:

So CBS is being a bunch of greedy bastards and only putting their secret scenes on CBS All-Access for which you will have to pay $5.99 a month to watch.  Hopefully this won't be the case all season but thankfully the good folks at Reddit have made them available so you can watch for free.

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/5xvwjk/survivor_game_changers_episode_1_videos_unblocked/?st=j04huk31&sh=0bf881dc

I am a subscriber to CBS All Access and I STILL can't seem to find these clips. I can see them on my TV, but I can't see them on the computer. I have to find a link from here and slide in sideways, but I don't know where they are housed. Very annoying. 

I saw that last night.  I posted Malcolm's day after in his thread, then realized the other clips were up as well.  I'm glad, because I could not find them on the website at all.  No problem on the TV, but the website was impossible (of course it was probably right in front of me the whole time).  At any rate, I'm glad they changed their mind.

Here's Malcolm's Gordon Holmes interview.  http://my.xfinity.com/blogs/tv/2017/03/23/survivor-castaway-malcolm-jt-trying-screw-us-100/  Have we been shown any indication of what he says, that there's antagonism between Aubry and Sandra?  (anything not goat-related, anyway, and post-Tony voteout?)  

We certainly have not been shown anything with regard to what he says about Troyzan in the word association.  With Gordon, all I can say is.... "oh."

Holmes: Troyzan?
Freberg: Biggest penis I’ve ever seen on a man.

Holmes: Let’s finish with JT.
Freberg: Son-of-a-bitch, bastard idiot.

Malcomb was targetting Michaela, why? because she is like Abi-Maria? O_o

Edited by piequinn35
  • Love 1

That's...interesting.  Malcolm has a sense of humor though, but certainly not what I'd expect him to say.

Aubry has a near silent edit, which is kind of surprising (since she's been to TC 3/4 times so far) and yet we've seen nothing of her.  She was also a big character from KR.  Has she even gotten any confessionals yet?

I agree with him about being a traditionalist when it comes to the game.

Edited by LadyChatts
13 minutes ago, piequinn35 said:

Malcomb was targetting Michaela, why? because she is like Abi-Maria? O_o

Listening To Malcolm on RHAP and he apparently didn't like Michaela at all. He said he would have voted her off first.  I guess some people just don't mesh well. Now, about Troyzan's penis. When did Malcolm see it? Why? Where? On the beach or at Ponderosa. Does size matter in Survivor? So many questions...........so little time....LOL!!!!

• Love 5

Someone posted Malcolm's exit interview with TV Guide and in the middle of the page on the article is a link for the 24 hottest male contestants and now I have issues. 

First they only have 23 and second there is no Burton which is a CRIME, no Brady, no Boo (those beautiful eyes yum) and no Osten. 

Third the picture they used of Savage was um and they should not have put Nick in there because it feeds his ego about thinking he is the most gorgeous man on the planet.

• Love 1

I really hate that picture of Joe.  While I think he had better hair during WA, he looked much better overall during SC (considering those seasons filmed within a year of each other, I don't exactly know what the difference was). 

First they only have 23 and second there is no Burton which is a CRIME, no Brady, no Boo (those beautiful eyes yum) and no Osten. 

You like Brady too?!  I feel like the 4 youngsters of Vanuatu were hated and forgotten.  I am glad they included John Kenney.  Peter from KR and Brian Heidek are on that list?  Also, I have no recollection of Brett from Samoa.  I also never got the appeal with Colby or James.  I thought James was a good, funny guy his first two seasons, but never thought he was that attractive.  And my opinion of him drastically changed during HvsV.

My personal fave that never makes a blip anywhere-mostly because he was completely invisible his season-is Nick Brown from Outback.  I've been re-watching that season since I'm longing for old school Survivor, and whew.  Of all the guys they could have made invisible.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

You like Brady too?!  I feel like the 4 youngsters of Vanuatu were hated and forgotten. 

I thought Brady was very pretty, but also dull and pompous. Overall, I thought JP was more attractive, albeit dumb as a post. Sometimes I just randomly remember M. Giant's TWoP recap of JP's conversation with Bubba and it makes me laugh:

Travis tells JP that he's going to base his decisions on his four children and wife back home. "So if I had kids," JP says, getting worked up right past Travis's point, "would that alter your decision? Is that what you're telling me?" JP, Travis isn't playing for all kids. He's playing for his kids. That's an important distinction. Now, maybe if you had Travis's kids, this would be a different conversation.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, LanceM said:

I think the most intriguing part of Malcolm's comment about Troyzan was that he specified that it was the biggest penis he has ever seen on a MAN.

hmmmmm...

Well, comparisons to blue whales would probably be unfair....

• Love 4

I'll be in Germany!! Well, I plan on bringing my Surface so this will be a great time to see if I can live stream on CBS All Access. This means I'll have to be up at 2:00 am to watch, but, hey, it's Survivor!

Yeah, a March start with a 2 hour episode but still finishing in May. How is that possible? I'm not complaining  but I guess I thought it would end in June. Even, on the last of the month on May 31st. Either way, I'll be watching and probably complaining about the winner & loser. LOL!!!!

7 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Yeah, a March start with a 2 hour episode but still finishing in May. How is that possible? I'm not complaining  but I guess I thought it would end in June.

Probably some double episodes coming our way throughout April.  Best I can think of there.

Edited by Vyk

Dalton Ross had some cool behind the scenes stuff about what actually goes on before a challenge.

http://ew.com/recap/survivor-season-34-episode-5/2/

"First, some behind-the-scenes intel. Here’s what basically happens out on location before a challenge. After Jeff Probst gives the instructions for what the challenge is, you hear him say, “I’ll give you a minute to strategize.” And he does. But that minute does not happen immediately. What happens first is he and challenge producer John Kirhoffer walk each tribe individually through the contest — literally walking them from section to section explaining exactly how it should be done, what is allowed, and what is not allowed. While Probst is giving one tribe the tour, the others are in a lockdown, meaning they are not allowed to speak to each other at all. So say he is walking Nuku through it. While he is doing that, Mana and Tavua have to just sit there and stare off into the ocean and contemplate Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey.

Also worth noting: While Probst is giving the tours, someone from CBS standards and practices is listening in. If the host gives one piece of information to one tribe but forgets to tell the others, that S&P person will flag it and make sure the other tribes are informed as well. So everyone gets the exact same 411. Anyway, after all three tribes have gotten their personal walk-throughs, the cameras are turned back on and then they are finally told to strategize. This is always filmed but hardly ever shown, just because there is never enough time. If it is ever shown, it is because it somehow directly connects to something that will happen later in a challenge — usually someone saying how great they are at a particular thing and then sucking. (Think about it: They never show someone saying how great they are at puzzles… and then that person rocking the puzzle. I mean, they actually did do that here with Zeke, but it was jut to show all three tribes strategizing to set up the Debbie fireworks. If that Debbie craziness does not happen, none of that is ever shown.)"

• Love 9
(edited)

After the first several seasons, Survivor has been hit or miss.  I never thought I would, but I meandered away for a few years....can't recall when I dropped off, but I do recall being sucked back in during Russell Hantz' season!

This season is a bit of a miss for me.  I'm engaged but it's kind of dark and for whatever reason, it seams to be moving at an odd pace for me.  Plus, nearly all my favorites - and nearly all the most entertaining players - are gone.   I don't care much about many of those who remain.  Maybe part of it for me is that I think a lot of those who remain are those who played them game when I had tuned out years ago.  I'm just not that invested in them.

Still the best thing on TV right now, though.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 2

So there is an hour episode this week on April 12th. Then there is a 2-hour episode on April 19th. I'm guessing it's two single episodes with 2 boots for the night. They started late this season and this will be the second 2 hour episode not including the 2 hour Season Finale. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/6/2017 at 3:37 PM, piequinn35 said:

I was about to post this on the Sandra thread, but it seems to fit better here.

I don't care who decided to do it, screw everyone who ate that goat. And screw production for allowing it to happen.

I didn't used to think the chickens were animal cruelty, but after a post on a different thread of how they're tossed around before they're butchered, and ruminating on if there's a difference between chicken versus goat, I'm tired of the live animals part of this "game".

I might be done with this show. I haven't liked the novelty idols and twists for a while. This might be the last straw.

ETA: I just took it off my DVR. I'll get an additional hour to my week.

Edited by Dust Bunny
  • Love 2

Nice of the show to make it seem like the tribe did the noble thing by letting the goats go, only to hide the fact that they actually did end up eating one.  I think the way they treat the live animals on this show is horrible, and I don't see the point.  They get more than enough food, and if they don't, the can sit down and whine until the show caves and brings more out.  The chickens seem to be more for the drama at this point.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

They get more than enough food, and if they don't, the can sit down and whine until the show caves and brings more out.  The chickens seem to be more for the drama at this point.

At the point where people like Will last season are losing like 30 pounds in what, 30 (?) days I'd argue that some of the contestants actually are starving. Everybody's body is different. Some can compensate better and for longer, but no, I don't think they're getting enough food out there. Possibly getting a reward to add calories every few days helps, but I think people are overestimating how much most of these people are eating.

From Sandra's interview, it sounds like they were wild goats that islanders were also trying to trap. Personally, I don't have a problem with hungry people hunting and killing their own food since it appears they ate it. (It's also unclear whether it was the goats shown or if they caught a different one.) They catch and eat fish, which definitely feel pain. I know people tend to have more sympathy for fellow mammals, and I do understand that, but for many people it is just as valid to draw the line anywhere from "anything that feels pain is off limits" to "all animals except humans are fair game."

• Love 9
56 minutes ago, simplyme said:

At the point where people like Will last season are losing like 30 pounds in what, 30 (?) days I'd argue that some of the contestants actually are starving. Everybody's body is different. Some can compensate better and for longer, but no, I don't think they're getting enough food out there. Possibly getting a reward to add calories every few days helps, but I think people are overestimating how much most of these people are eating.

From Sandra's interview, it sounds like they were wild goats that islanders were also trying to trap. Personally, I don't have a problem with hungry people hunting and killing their own food since it appears they ate it. (It's also unclear whether it was the goats shown or if they caught a different one.) They catch and eat fish, which definitely feel pain. I know people tend to have more sympathy for fellow mammals, and I do understand that, but for many people it is just as valid to draw the line anywhere from "anything that feels pain is off limits" to "all animals except humans are fair game."

It doesn't look like anyone is losing much weight yet. I do miss the old days when they starved them. That was the best thing about this show. The Survivor Diet. I think that's why a lot people signed up. LOL!!! That said, I think we're only 16 Days in. We haven't even reached the jury phase yet. I'm sure I'll see some skinny people soon enough. 

• Love 2

From Sandra's interview, it sounds like they were wild goats that islanders were also trying to trap. Personally, I don't have a problem with hungry people hunting and killing their own food since it appears they ate it. (It's also unclear whether it was the goats shown or if they caught a different one.)

Nice of the show to make it seem like the tribe did the noble thing by letting the goats go, only to hide the fact that they actually did end up eating one. 

This is sitting uneasily with me as well, because I feel like they made me like the goats by showing the baby being cute and them calling to each other. I'd be interested to hear one of the other tribe members weigh in on it, because Sandra seemed to be using the story to throw the blame on others rather than herself in Goat Gate. And I agree that the interview was somewhat ambiguous in which goat was eaten--she says at one point that they let the mother and baby go, so maybe they caught a different one? I'm definitely surprised though, given how against it most of the tribe seemed to be.

• Love 5

I have no better idea of where to post this, so here goes: for the posters who are active in the spoiler thread, did you know about this? and to what extend? I'm just going with the posts that seem to indicate that it was indeed spoiled and want to confirm if indeed it was. Was that leak out ahead of the fact and if so, how far ahead?

[I also have another question totally off topic: what makes those of you who do read spoilers do it? Does it enhance your viewing experience? I'm really curious because the one time I was spoiled on Survivor ruined a big part of the experience for me, so for me it seems that real fan and spoiled are contradictory, but I'm still open to reading otherwise. Thanks a bunch to those who will answer, I really come with this out of curiosity and not with any judgement]

• Love 1

I accidentally got spoiled for the F3 of Philippines. It didn't ruin it for me, it just made it a different kind of viewing experience. It's kind of interesting to watch the show knowing the F3 because it lets you really examine the editing and lets you pay closer attention to those players. (ETA: And as @LadyChatts pointed out below, it helps keep the anxiety level down!) I still prefer watching without knowing anything though. I think I got accidentally spoiled for someone in the F3 for this season and it's kinda bumming me out. I might go ahead and see who the whole F3 is because knowing only one kinda does ruin it for me.

Edited by peachmangosteen

This was spoiled I believe back around the time filming ended and spoilers first started coming out.  At first it was hard to believe and I know I wasn't the only one who was hoping it was wrong.  I can't remember when it was revealed Varner was the one who outed Zeke, but he kept alluding to something happening that he was in the middle of, and his personal reflections on publicly stating how the game changed him and made him look at things differently indicated he was directly involved.  I was hoping it was going to be an accidental slip or something.

As to the second part of your question-I actually enjoy the show more when I know what's going to happen.  If anything, not knowing ruins it for me, because sometimes it's just the wondering when the people I hate are going to get booted, or seeing my alliance gain the upper hand, only to be taken out by some idol play.  I guess it's knowing the good or bad news ahead of time keeps my anxiety level down lol

I should add that spoilers don't really come out for non returning player seasons.  Usually the main source for a season like this is one of the players.  For KR, the only thing I remember being revealed was Calebs medevac.  I don't remember anything being spoiled for WA or MvsGX. Most was speculation.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

I do read spoilers because I like watching how the editing is, how 'televised' you can see who's going to the end and who's probably not.  That said, I tend to just look for the F3 spoilers, I'll just glance over other things, or just speed through.  So I had no idea about Zeke.  The only thing I heard was a reference to Varner betraying Zeke, but I assumed, as I was watching, that it was the whole 'through the women under the bus' thing.  Needless to say, I'm suddenly having to explain transgender to my 9 year old, who was all 'how do they do that?"  Ah, the magic of medicine I say.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I accidentally got spoiled for the F3 of Philippines. It didn't ruin it for me, it just made it a different kind of viewing experience. It's kind of interesting to watch the show knowing the F3 because it lets you really examine the editing and lets you pay closer attention to those players. I still prefer watching without knowing anything though. I think I got accidentally spoiled for someone in the F3 for this season and it's kinda bumming me out. I might go ahead and see who the whole F3 is because knowing only one kinda does ruin it for me.

31 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

This was spoiled I believe back around the time filming ended and spoilers first started coming out.  At first it was hard to believe and I know I wasn't the only one who was hoping it was wrong.  I can't remember when it was revealed Varner was the one who outed Zeke, but he kept alluding to something happening that he was in the middle of, and his personal reflections on publicly stating how the game changed him and made him look at things differently indicated he was directly involved.  I was hoping it was going to be an accidental slip or something.

As to the second part of your question-I actually enjoy the show more when I know what's going to happen.  If anything, not knowing ruins it for me, because sometimes it's just the wondering when the people I hate are going to get booted, or seeing my alliance gain the upper hand, only to be taken out by some idol play.  I guess it's knowing the good or bad news ahead of time keeps my anxiety level down lol

I should add that spoilers don't really come out for non returning player seasons.  For KR, the only thing I remember being revealed was Calebs medevac.  I don't remember anything being spoiled for WA or MvsGX. Most was speculation.

Thank you to the three of you for your honest answers.

I'm amazed that the cat was out of the bag so early on - LadyChatts, was it Varner (or Zeke) who kept alluding?

For what it's worth, my viewing pleasure was seriously reduced when, after having recorded the last episode of Fans vs. Fav because I had been away on a business trip, I opened my newspaper the day I was going to watch it only to see "Parvati Shallow wins Survivor". And while I was more than happy that she won, I was supremely angry that THAT suspense had been taken out of my viewing experience.

So obviously I'm the opposite of you, LadyChatts, because I want to be on the edge of my seat! You seem like you'd like to know who the killer is when you go watch a whodunnit, when I'm like, if they can surprise me, all more power to them!! :)

But then I have one follow up question for you: you seem to be fairly active in this forum, but if (as it is a returnee season and you have good reasons to think you know how it's going to go) you know more than average posters, is it really fair of you to post? Do knowing what's in the cards colour your opinions? I promise I'm not being snarky, it's just that I have always felt that spoiled viewers could (sometimes without realising it) spoil it for others. And in older seasons, I've been amazed at the number of people saying xxx is gonna win, when we had hardly seen xxx at that point (only to realise after the season ended that xxx had been branded as the winner in the spoiler threads). In my ideal word, there should be a dual thread, one for people who read spoiles, and one for those who don't. And just to avoid misunderstandings, I don't think you, LadyChatts, has spoiled anything intentionally, but how do you know knowing how it all ends doesn't influence your posts?   

adding to my previous post: Hanahope, who knew Survivor would become a teaching tool? Still, why do you look to know who the F3 are, and how does it add to your enjoinment? As for editing, I can get it while watching previous seasons, but wouldn't want it know in advance, so is it also for you to not stress about it? I'm really curious, not judgemental, it amazes me how we all look for different things from this show.  

Edited by NutMeg
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, NutMeg said:

Still, why do you look to know who the F3 are, and how does it add to your enjoinment? As for editing, I can get it while watching previous seasons, but wouldn't want it know in advance, so is it also for you to not stress about it? I'm really curious, not judgemental, it amazes me how we all look for different things from this show.  

Well, for the last 20-25 years, 90% of my television viewing is through recordings, whether VCR, DVR, or discs.  My life schedule is such that I so very rarely get to watch prime-time live.  I'd say probably only about 20% of what I've seen I had no clue as to what was going to happen.  I guess I'm just so used to knowing in advance the general plotline, outcome, winner, that its not the goal of my watching.  My goal, my enjoyment is watching the story, the journey, the process.

Now sometimes I do my best to avoid spoilers so I will be surprised.  But most of the time I don't take a real active effort to avoid spoilers, and I enjoy reading about the programs or shows, so I'll learn the basic plot line.  But I do still enjoy watching the show later.

I didn't start watching Survivor until Guatemala.  I liked the show a lot, so I made efforts to find and watch the prior seasons.  It was impossible to avoid finding out who the winner was in most of those prior seasons.  It didn't affect me knowing that then, and so it doesn't really make a difference to me now.

Edited by Hanahope
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, NutMeg said:

But then I have one follow up question for you: you seem to be fairly active in this forum, but if (as it is a returnee season and you have good reasons to think you know how it's going to go) you know more than average posters, is it really fair of you to post? Do knowing what's in the cards colour your opinions? I promise I'm not being snarky, it's just that I have always felt that spoiled viewers could (sometimes without realising it) spoil it for others.

I often think about this, too. I worry that people who read spoilers are unconsciously letting the spoilers influence their posts in the episode threads. And even sometimes people will accidentally post innocuous spoilers in the episode threads and that can be annoying. I like your idea of different episode threads for spoiled and unspoiled people, but it could be dicey for some like me if they know only one or a couple spoilers but don't want to know anything else.

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

Well, for the last 20-25 years, 90% of my television viewing is through recordings, whether VCR, DVR, or discs.  My life schedule is such that I so very rarely get to watch prime-time live.  I'd say probably only about 20% of what I've seen I had no clue as to what was going to happen.  I guess I'm just so used to knowing in advance the general plotline, outcome, winner, that its not the goal of my watching.  My goal, my enjoyment is watching the story, the journey, the process.

Now sometimes I do my best to avoid spoilers so I will be surprised.  But most of the time I don't take a real active effort to avoid spoilers, and I enjoy reading about the programs or shows, so I'll learn the basic plot line.  But I do still enjoy watching the show later.

I didn't start watching Survivor until Guatemala.  I liked the show a lot, so I made efforts to find and watch the prior seasons.  It was impossible to avoid finding out who the winner was in most of those prior seasons.  It didn't affect me knowing that then, and so it doesn't really make a difference to me now.

Thank you for your answer. I realise it's hard to avoid spoilers about most shows because even mainstream media are all over them. It's still amazing when you are surprised though! Might not necessarily happen here if you know a lot of people who watch, but I've just watched a full season of a show I knew nothing about, and what joy it was to fully be along for the ride :) (of course it helped that the show was really good!)

Did Zeke do an interview with People? I saw this elsewhere.

"I, too, was inspired by Zeke until I saw today's PEOPLE interview where he's still "struggling" to "forgive" Varner.  He didn't go to Harvard--and publish his reports there on transitioning--without figuring out that this is a PR bonanza for him."

• Love 2

Regarding being spoiled and posting.  On some forums, if you post on the spoiler thread you can't post on the non-spoiler threads.  I think here you're not supposed to post on both the spoiler and speculation threads -- is that right?  Here,  the Game of Thrones board has "book talk" and "non-book talk" threads for every single episode.  Because if you've read the books, it's almost impossible not to have it leak into your comments!

I never read the spoilers until the season that Cochran won, and I found I enjoyed watching how that played out, knowing he would win (I'm a fan, so I was excited).  I could see reading spoilers to decide if you wanted to keep watching once all your favorites are gone.  I don't always read spoilers though and of course they're not always right! 

Edited by Special K
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Special K said:

Regarding being spoiled and posting.  On some forums, if you post on the spoiler thread you can't post on the non-spoiler threads.  I think here you're not supposed to post on both the spoiler and speculation threads -- is that right?  Here,  the Game of Thrones board has "book talk" and "non-book talk" threads for every single episode.  Because if you've read the books, it's almost impossible not to have it leak into your comments!

I never read the spoilers until the season that Cochran won, and I found I enjoyed watching how that played out, knowing he would win (I'm a fan, so I was excited).  I could see reading spoilers to decide if you wanted to keep watching once all your favorites are gone.  I don't always read spoilers though and of course they're not always right! 

No, that is not the rule here, that would be terrible!  It is fun to discuss the show with everyone.  It is easy to avoid mentioning the boot order.   It isn't like there is a lot to spoil like on BB, show vs live feeds.   

• Love 1

I'm sort of a strange case. In general, I try to avoid spoilers because I like trying to predict what's going to happen. However, I inevitably click on the button at the bottom of the page to go to the next unread post in the next thread and THEN realize it's the spoilers thread, so on occasion I have accidentally read a couple and simply hoped they were wrong. (Usually I squint and scroll down as fast as I can, trying not to focus my eyes.)

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Did Zeke do an interview with People? I saw this elsewhere.

"I, too, was inspired by Zeke until I saw today's PEOPLE interview where he's still "struggling" to "forgive" Varner.  He didn't go to Harvard--and publish his reports there on transitioning--without figuring out that this is a PR bonanza for him."

The interviews I've seen with Zeke are all the same as the Hollywood Life one.  In fact, I almost think People was supposed to have the exclusive, and then the other mags would post, but Hollywood Life beat them to it.  I've seen some people accuse Zeke of using this to an advantage and playing it up for his own gain, especially in the Survivor world.  I do see a lot of backlash aimed more at the show for even airing this and publicly outing Zeke, even if he was okay with it.  But eventually, the outrage will subside, like it does with everything scandalous, and people will move on.  We'll find something to grumble about next season I'm sure.  As scary as it is to think about, I'm sure down the road a future castaway will end up trumping what Varner did.  Hey, I always think "no way anything will ever be worse than that", and Survivor keeps on giving.  For better or worse.  I do wonder if Zeke will be open to the other tribe now that he's out, or if he and NuNuNuku will keep it to the themselves.

As for the spoilers-I try and make sure I take it episode by episode, and play along.  Spoilers aren't always right to begin with.  I have to say if we had separate threads for spoiled vs non spoiled, whose to say someone spoiled wouldn't go into the non spoiled threads anyway?  Also, those threads would get a little lonely.  I've seen forums that have different threads for BB live feeds vs no feeds, and while that makes sense, no one seems to really post in the no feeds forum.  I get what you're saying, and I know who here posts in the spoiler thread, but I think we do a good job of not letting things out. I guess the best advice if you know someone reads spoilers and you are worried is to put them on ignore so there posts don't come up.

I used to not follow spoilers, but I think it was around the time of PI and the Outcast twist that I started snooping around.  I guess I look at it as watching a movie or old TV show and knowing what happens, but still finding enjoyment out of it.  I, too, don't always have the privelage of watching TV when it's live, and  I'd go crazy sometimes wondering what happened.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

Quick clarification, Zeke's essay was with The Hollywood Reporter (THR). Just wanted to clarify because I think the folks from THR would be insulted to be compared to Hollywood Life, which is a bottom basement tabloid. Also, I do think Zeke gave an interview to People which was quoted in other publications like Entertainment Weekly and Us Weekly. So basically he wrote a personal essay for THR, which was published after the episode and did a shorter interview with People Magazine. 

• Love 1