Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

(edited)
3 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

http://insidesurvivor.com/premiere-date-announced-survivor-heroes-vs-healers-vs-hustlers-27959

Wed. Sept. 27th, 1 hour premiere and a week later than normal.

Thanks. 

Wow! Only, a one hour episode. It's usually a 90 minute or 2 hour premiere. I can't recall the last time it was an hour episode. Either way, I'll take it. I don't want to rush the summer (especially in the northeast) but I can't wait till September rolls around.

ETA: I guess I should have read the article first. It answered all my questions:

"also the first time since Season 24, Survivor: One World, where the premiere is just one-hour long. Since 2012, the Survivor premieres have either being 90-minute specials or double-episode features in the case of Survivor: Cagayan and the recent Survivor: Game Changers."

is that food or bad it's only 1 hour? Should I be suspicious? LOL!!!!

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

is that food or bad it's only 1 hour? Should I be suspicious? LOL!!!!

My first thought is that it was a bad sign for the season as a whole. 90 minutes gives us a nice intro to the characters and the season as a whole and that they don't want to commit to that suggests they might not think there's enough good stuff there. But I don't think there's enough info to say either way. 

• Love 1

I wish it would be at least 90 minutes.  Three tribes to focus on, setting up camp, idol hunting, challenges, TC, and the 10 minutes Jeff spends explaining to each tribe why they are what they are and acts like they've never seen the show before (which, maybe for some of them...)

Whether it's a good or bad sign I don't know.  

• Love 2

It's still early yet.  We have the whole summer.  For all we know, it could change to a ninety-minute premiere before September even rolls around.  We'll see.

There are only 18 contestants though, unlike last seasons 20.  And there's bound to be a 2 hour double elimination episode as it is.  Maybe someone gets medevaced or quits so it doesn't interfere with the boot order.

Of course that's also wishful thinking, because the Andrea/Michaela boot ep was a mess.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

There are only 18 contestants though, unlike last seasons 20.  And there's bound to be a 2 hour double elimination episode as it is.  Maybe someone gets medevaced or quits so it doesn't interfere with the boot order.

Of course that's also wishful thinking, because the Andrea/Michaela boot ep was a mess.

Yeah, the Andrea/Michaela boot episode was probably their worst edited episode ever. And, it's not just because it was them. It could have been any of the contestants. You can't do two boots in an hour and challenges and tribal council.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Yeah, the Andrea/Michaela boot episode was probably their worst edited episode ever. And, it's not just because it was them. It could have been any of the contestants. You can't do two boots in an hour and challenges and tribal council.

They did it before in Heroes vs. Villains with the Candice/Danielle boot episode.

11 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I feel like they've done this a few times but it's almost always two straightforward, predictable boots of inconsequential players - they did it with Will and Sunday just last season. What made this one terrible was that both were surprising boots and Cirie's gamble needed a LOT more time. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Michaela's boot came out of nowhere.  The show typically at least puts someone out there as being in trouble.  Andrea's boot wasn't terribly surprising, but Michaela?  While she had been at odds with some of her tribemates, it seemed like she had fallen off the radar.  I can see why they booted her, but it just seemed to come out of nowhere. 

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Michaela's boot came out of nowhere.  The show typically at least puts someone out there as being in trouble.  Andrea's boot wasn't terribly surprising, but Michaela?  While she had been at odds with some of her tribemates, it seemed like she had fallen off the radar.  I can see why they booted her, but it just seemed to come out of nowhere. 

Michaela wasn't even on the radar, from what I understand.  She only suddenly got onto it after Cirie made her bad move.  Before then, she was as good as safe.  As far as I could see, she wasn't even being considered, and that's why she had no airtime devoted to the lead-in to her ouster.

They really do paint themselves into a corner with the 20-person seasons. I keep wanting to say 'why didn't they just choose two more straightforward boots to jam together into one ep?' but given there were no reward challenges in that episode I'm guessing it was slated as a double-boot ep even during filming (probably with a back-up reward challenge or two in case they'd had quits/injuries and needed to fill the time). They couldn't have foreseen how it was going to go. 

I do wish that they were doing a bit better in the ratings so Jeff & Co were in a position where they could ask CBS for an extra hour (or even 30 minutes) - with so long between filming and airing it's not like the network's schedule is locked tight by the time they know they'll need it. 

• Love 1

They still hold the reward challenges, we just don't see them or hear about them. There is more then enough footage to avoid discussion of what happened and who won and what the reward was. The problem for me is that reward challenges play an important part in the show. Pretending that two rewards challenges didn't happen is BS. For all we know, something happened at one of those challenges that changed the vote or influenced the vote.

• Love 2
(edited)

Listening to Zeke's interview with RHAP and he said something that made made laugh. He said that they check to make sure you are only wearing one pair of underwear before playing. And, they really check. I don't know why that gave me pause. I guess I never heard anyone mention it before. I might have to rethink my dream of going on Survivor. LOL!!!

Edited by ByaNose
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

They still hold the reward challenges, we just don't see them or hear about them. There is more then enough footage to avoid discussion of what happened and who won and what the reward was. The problem for me is that reward challenges play an important part in the show. Pretending that two rewards challenges didn't happen is BS. For all we know, something happened at one of those challenges that changed the vote or influenced the vote.

I did wonder about that, and if that's the case I agree. All the politics around reward challenges are definitely relevant to the vote - just another reason that Andrea/Michaela boot ep was frustrating. 

Just with the timing though - according to Wikipedia, Sierra was voted out on Day 32, then Andrea on Day 33. Michaela was Day 35 then there was a boot on days 36, 37 and 38. So it's likely there was a reward challenge on Day 34 but where else are they fitting them in? 

Maybe they don't need the extra 30 minutes because it's a straight forward show? Maybe it's like "Hi this is everyone." I feel 18 is a bit more easy to manage than 20.. though 16 will always be the ideal. 

I'm also curious though they did ask to go back on Wednesday night, if moving to say Friday (even though it's a Kiss of Death) t.v. wise would actually help. then you could have 90 minute episodes the entire slot. what else is on Friday? 

(edited)

I'd prefer 16, forever and always.  But while I typically hate 20 person seasons, from a strategic stand point, I like having more people to pick from at TC.  Sometimes it won't matter regardless, but with a 6 person tribe, I feel like it's much easier for one person to be targeted, and no one argue for fear of a vote split or winding up the next target since you went against the majority.  Plus, with 20, I think the opportunity for tribe twists is better (even if it's the same stale formula for 18 or 20).

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

I like the 2-tribe 16/20 person seasons for strategy and options at TC, but I can go half a season without knowing who everyone is. On the other hand, the only times I've had a real handle on who everyone was (names, at least) by the end of the second episodes were the two four-tribe seasons - but they're frustrating for other reasons. For me, the 3-tribe, 18-person seasons are a bit of a happy medium - I can usually put names to faces pretty quickly and there are opportunities for strategy (plus they usually merge into two pretty quickly). 

• Love 3

I think 18 is the happy medium. if people quit - you can still do things, you have enough people to do swaps that are meaningful and impactful. And we get to know them as well. 20 i just feel - while they end up being some good seasons (Palau, HvV) - really bloated. 

• Love 1

It wouldn't surprise me if CBS was trimming Survivor air time down.  Last season was kind of a clunker, I thought.  TAR seems pared way back.  These shows are getting old.  

I won't be shocked if 2020/S40 ends up being the last Survivor season aired, or at least aired on TV (they might stream it online somewhere). 

I like the 2-tribe 16/20 person seasons for strategy and options at TC, but I can go half a season without knowing who everyone is. On the other hand, the only times I've had a real handle on who everyone was (names, at least) by the end of the second episodes were the two four-tribe seasons - but they're frustrating for other reasons. For me, the 3-tribe, 18-person seasons are a bit of a happy medium - I can usually put names to faces pretty quickly and there are opportunities for strategy (plus they usually merge into two pretty quickly). 

Agreed.  There's pros and cons to all number set ups (either for the viewers or the show).  I go back to the strategy aspect at TC as to why having more people in a tribe is better, but I honestly forgot about half of the people from MvsGX before the season even ended.  And sometimes it isn't even strategy, it still falls back onto some overconfident alpha male that just wants to vote out the older woman because she's weak by his standards (even if he has no basis for his argument and some male on the tribe is older than her and actually showed being weak). 

Another unpopular opinion, but I'd almost like to see a season with no tribe swaps, or a fake merge ala Thailand.  Yes, it could make for boring, predictable TV, especially if one tribe goes Ulong again.  I guess my current mood is, re-watching old seasons, I remember when stuff added the game was still fresh and exciting, and you never seemed to know what was going to happen.  Now it's just boring and stale.  I'd like to see people be on their guard and toes.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Another unpopular opinion, but I'd almost like to see a season with no tribe swaps, or a fake merge ala Thailand.

Palau had no swap.  Neither did Tocantins, Samoa, Heroes vs. Villains, Redemption Island, or South Pacific.

• Love 1
On 6/1/2017 at 0:48 PM, ByaNose said:

Okay, what is the premiere date in September for Survivor: HHH? I need to clear my schedule. LOL!!!! My life is very empty without Survivor on Wednesday night. After tonight, I won't have The Amazing Race either. What's left? I guess I could watch Big Brother but it's not appoinment television for me. Survivor is #1 in my book. Okay! Did anyone find the date? What's taking you so long? See everyone in September.

Start watching Ink Master, and join us in the forum. It just started on Tuesday. Not as bad as Big Brother. I probably like it better than Survivor, tbh. 

1 hour ago, Nalan said:

Palau had no swap.  Neither did Tocantins, Samoa, Heroes vs. Villains, Redemption Island, or South Pacific.

I think she means a season that "goes back to basics" with no swaps or twists of any kind, possibly with a surprise late merge to keep them on their toes. 

Tocantins and China are both solidly in my top 6 seasons. They had the double exile and warrior steal twists respectively, but both featured unplayed idols and few twists otherwise. 16-person casts results in me actually remembering specific stuff about every player. 

The problem? I've been seeing a lot of comments lately that these seasons are "boring". For me they prove that the players themselves make interesting gameplay without external factors. But MMV. 

• Love 4

Yeah, I know some seasons didn't have the swaps (and some were made better by it), but it's been awhile.  It's so routine now. 

Tocantins and China are both solidly in my top 6 seasons. They had the double exile and warrior steal twists respectively, but both featured unplayed idols and few twists otherwise. 16-person casts results in me actually remembering specific stuff about every player. 

The problem? I've been seeing a lot of comments lately that these seasons are "boring". For me they prove that the players themselves make interesting gameplay without external factors. But MMV. 

China is definitely one of my top 10 favorite seasons.  Usually a season that features a good old fashioned (almost) Pagonging is bleh to me.  But this season made up for the predictability in so many other ways.  Casting was definitely a huge factor as to why I found this season enjoyable.  America's Funniest Videos use to do these video mash ups, where someone was making a comment from one vid, and it was inserted into others.  I feel like they need to do that with Courtney's soundbites.  I think that's what I enjoyed about the season, though, is that it was one of the last ones to really feel like an old school season.

• Love 1

I don't necessarily need a 90 minute premiere, but I thought it was a nice bookend (book beginning?) with the Big Brother finale. It actually sounds like a slightly more positive sign for Survivor, that they want the premiere leading into a new drama that they care about and want to excel, not Big Brother, which they...don't care if it excels because face it, it's never going off the air as long as Julie Chen wants to do it.

My question is will they trim the Big Brother finale down now that they'll have no 90 minute thing to put before it? Or make it 2 hours (I hope not!)

Roll on, Survivor: Heroes vs. Hookers vs. Heartthrobs (kidding -- but the H names are hard to remember!)

• Love 2

I'll expand that. 

I think if the "fake merge" is done how it was in Thailand - it can lead to a lot of drama. 
I am still hoping no word of a lie, a season I thought one world would have been (and how we thought Palau was gonna). they ALL live on the Island. you draw for teams etc and that's your team for the 3 day cycle. that could be interesting. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I am surprised they haven't done the fake merge again after Thailand. Maybe, they think people wouldn't fall for it again. From what I remember, the word merge was never used and everybody (the viewers, too) just assumed it was. It was a great twist to an otherwise horrible season.

Also, one of my favorite seasons was Palau and I hope they NEVER do their twist again. I didn't like the kicking off (not picking) two people even before the game started. Even if it was Wanda. LOL!! I was always surprised that they never gave Jonathan Libby a second chance. He fit the good looking guy role, only 36 and he really does deserve that 2nd chance. Of course, Palau was so long ago (2005) that his time may have come and gone. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 1
(edited)

I doubt Jonathan would get a second chance after all this time, which is too bad.  That's probably the worst twist ever.  Willard got lucky, but I'm sure he figured there was no chance he was getting picked.  I liked the idea of picking teams, but it was so dumb.  It would have been a cool twist to say, once only Jonathan and Wanda were left, that they each got immunity and could join the tribe they wanted.  I'd still love to see Bobby Jon get a third chance, and Angie, Gregg, and Katie get second chances.  I'm also glad they never brought the Outcast twist back.  It's why I'm not a fan of redemption island, either.  Once you're voted out, you're voted out.  And after gamechangers, hopefully no more two tribes go to TC, but only vote one person out. 

But I think the fake merge, after all this time, would probably be totally forgotten.  I guess just anything to switch it up and make people think on their toes, or be on their guard.  I don't want them afraid to make moves, but I'd like for the votes to maybe be strategic.  The thought lingering that they might merge tomorrow, or maybe they'll merge and de-merge, or that a swap might not be coming.  So would that impact who they ultimately end up voting off, and could the plan change?  While I believe Shii Ann was next to go if Sook Jai lost, anyway, that look on her face when Jeff said "who said this was a merge" was absolutely priceless.  That "should have just waited 5 more minutes before blabbing." 

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Also, one of my favorite seasons was Palau and I hope they NEVER do their twist again. I didn't like the kicking off (not picking) two people even before the game started.

I hated that, too, but didn't they essentially do that in BvW? That's why Rupert went to Redemption Island, because they were going to send Laura there? I mean, you still had a way back into the game, but someone was going home based upon a choice before the game even started.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

And after gamechangers, hopefully no more two tribes go to TC, but only vote one person out.

Sorry.  Can't agree.  I wouldn't mind that twist cropping back up again.  But not for a few seasons, because people would be expecting it now after seeing it in Game Changers.

• Love 2
(edited)

I've seen various theories floating around that I think might be great, but I'm sure the show will ruin it and do something stupid.  Some retread of RI or the Outcast twist or some producer interfering twist.

ETA: So here's another tidbit from Redmond.  If this is what Ghost Island ends up being, I hate it, but I'm thinking this could be it.

http://insidesurvivor.com/survivor-30-ghosts-the-returnee-season-that-almost-happened-28061

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

ETA: So here's another tidbit from Redmond.  If this is what Ghost Island ends up being, I hate it, but I'm thinking this could be it.

http://insidesurvivor.com/survivor-30-ghosts-the-returnee-season-that-almost-happened-28061

I was just about to link this. I don't know how I feel about it but it seems annoyingly complicated. I can see a revolt if they did this with returnees, and unless they blow episodes out to 90 minutes there's no way I'll remember that many newbies. 

Given this info starting to come out, should we have a S36 thread? 

On 6/10/2017 at 8:12 PM, LadyChatts said:

I've seen various theories floating around that I think might be great, but I'm sure the show will ruin it and do something stupid.  Some retread of RI or the Outcast twist or some producer interfering twist.

Don't know if I'd love to watch it - but I would dearly love to play it.

46 minutes ago, MissEwa said:

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1670740/survivors-newest-twist-is-here-to-stay

If you're going to keep a "twist" (that's not even that much of a twist), I guess this is fine. 

35 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I actually like it, so I'm happy.  As long as it doesn't go off the rails, I'm good.

I, too, like the new, open-forum method to Final Tribal Council.  So I'm okay with them keeping it going forward.  Though yeah, make sure it doesn't go off the rails.  Otherwise, revert to the classic way.

• Love 3

S36 will be the first cast to know about this ahead of time, as S35 filmed while S34 was airing.  So it'll be interesting how the final 2/3 will handle the FTC going forward when they know that the jury isn't going to stand up and either grandstand on their behalf or just give bitter betty speeches where they won't have to answer anything.  I think that's what I'm most looking forward to.  But again, there's a few cons to how this might go so we'll see.  

• Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

S36 will be the first cast to know about this ahead of time, as S35 filmed while S34 was airing.  So it'll be interesting how the final 2/3 will handle the FTC going forward when they know that the jury isn't going to stand up and either grandstand on their behalf or just give bitter betty speeches where they won't have to answer anything.  I think that's what I'm most looking forward to.  But again, there's a few cons to how this might go so we'll see.  

Yeah, that will be an interesting take from Season 36. That's assuming they are going to stick with the format. It will be new to Season 35 and they are newbies. So, that's a whole different ball game for them. The vets are little more savvy with Survivor and Tribal Council. These new players will really have to think on their feet or when sitting on their stump as the case may be. LOL!!!

ETA: I spoke too soon. I just saw this:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/15/survivor-matt-van-wagenen-tribal-council/

Edited by ByaNose
16 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

So it'll be interesting how the final 2/3 will handle the FTC going forward when they know that the jury isn't going to stand up and either grandstand on their behalf or just give bitter betty speeches where they won't have to answer anything.

The new format is fine, but I like the grandstanding and bitter betty speeches. I do think most of the jurors have made up their minds before FTC so the questions to the F2/F3 don't mean all much, except that they show us a less guarded side of the person who got booted. Are they good sports (Shii Ann) or the dicks we always suspected them to be (Sarge)?  Some of the show's most memorable moments have come from FTC:  Sue's rats and snakes speech, Big Tom's drunken question about why animals lick their own asses, Natalie Bolton's weird come-on to Parvati, Brenda and Dawn and the teeth, and, although not a big moment, my personal favorite: Heidi trying and failing to get Matt and Jenna to kiss her ass.

"I mean ... just ... I think that ... is that the only person?" Heh.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, fishcakes said:

The new format is fine, but I like the grandstanding and bitter betty speeches.

The new format doesn't preclude those things from happening.  Just look at Zeke and Ozzy.  The only real change is that they weren't standing up.

• Love 3