Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Max said that the Survivors were pre picked that we're going to get called down.  I don't know if they knew the order they were getting called, though.  Seems they called some of the most popular first so they'd have a better chance of getting onstage.

Will, Jenn, and So from WA were also there, as was Aaron from China, and Mike from Samoa.  Did they put out a call for any former Survivors to show up, I wonder, or did they reach out to some specific ones?  Anyway, that was a lot of fun.  Looking forward to tonight and tomorrow!

Based on my vague knowledge of which TAR people are in California, I suspect proximity/availability was one factor, though not the only one.  This is just a guess though.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Ugh, Ben. His charity was probably The Ben Fund: Money for Ben.

I keep seeing his ugly mug in the first row. I truly want to know how he got himself invited. Gross.   I was hoping he would get faded into Survivor obscurity...

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

I keep seeing his ugly mug in the first row. I truly want to know how he got himself invited. Gross.   I was hoping he would get faded into Survivor obscurity...

Maybe he crashed?  Some of those choices to sit in the audience seemed random.  But I guess if they weren't getting picked anyway, their standards weren't very high.

I thought it was cute when Jeff snuffed the torches of the contestants who lost at the wheel.  I wonder if Julie and Phil will do something similar?

• Love 1

I enjoyed the episode. The one guy who got the $25,000 punch bunch prize--that had us screaming in the house. 

I was, though, taken aback at how old Ozzy and Boston Rob looked. That made me sad. (I'm, a-HEM, between them in ages.)

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, cherrypj said:

I enjoyed the episode. The one guy who got the $25,000 punch bunch prize--that had us screaming in the house. 

I was, though, taken aback at how old Ozzy and Boston Rob looked. That made me sad. (I'm, a-HEM, between them in ages.)

That's funny -I was remarking to Mr. sarahsmile how much older (and paunchy) Boston Rob looked. But I actually thought Ozzy looked really good...but maybe I am just partial to that long hair. I didn't think Ozzy was that old anyway...he is a little younger than me (less than a year) and I think he looks good. I think he could easily pass for younger.

Boston Rob, OTOH, looks his age.

• Love 2

I watched the Amazing Race episode of Price is Right last night and one of the "regular" contestants was Monifa Sims, AKA the asshole wife of asshole Will Sims from Worlds Apart. The fact that she got called down makes me side-eye the whole enterprise.

Her TAR team was Mark and Bopper, who for non-TAR watchers, were a popular and likable team. Drew asked her what she thought of them and she clutched her chest and said, "these guys ... showed so much heart. I aspire to be like them," as if she were auditioning for something. TAR is on the bubble right now and because I have a horrible feeling that Will and Monifa are going to show up as racers, I'm just going to hope it gets cancelled before that can happen.

• Love 2

I loved all 3 themed nights, but the TAR night was definitely my favorite.  Hoping they do this again.

I thought it was weird that Will's wife would show up on one of the reality themed shows as a contestant, of all the times she could have been on the show and gotten picked.  Glad she lost at the wheel.  Sorry Mark and Bopper had to be paired with her.  I doubt they will ever show up on TAR.  I can't believe TAR will ever be that desperate, and of all the cross overs they've done, has anyone ever been that unlikable?  Polarizing, maybe, but not outright unlikable by the fans.  They'd have way more options to pick from between Survivor and BB, and I know a lot of contestants who have openly said they'd love to do it.

(edited)
5 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Will and Monifa are going to show up as racers, I'm just going to hope it gets cancelled before that can happen.

Oh come on, you know somebody has to be the first team booted. :)

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 3

I am a little surprised that Daniel and Willard would be there.  Neither one of them were stand out players on their season.  Though Willard sticks out to me because his elimination episode is the only episode that I have missed since I started watching the show during the Amazon season.

1 minute ago, mojoween said:

I cannot for the life of me place Sierra who spokesmodeled with Ozzy.  Help?

Worlds Apart, Blue Collar tribe, tattooed eyebrows. Finished 5th.

• Love 1

Fabio was there, too.  I think they were just looking for any Survivor seat fillers, which probably explains why the likes of Daniel, Ben, Samoa Mike, etc, were there.  They already knew who they were picking, the others were just there for audience participation.  

Funny thing about Sierra, I had just brought her up earlier that day, and when I saw her standing there, it took me a minute to remember who she was.  Even more so when they called her a Survivor favorite.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Fabio was there, too.  I think they were just looking for any Survivor seat fillers, which probably explains why the likes of Daniel, Ben, Samoa Mike, etc, were there.  They already knew who they were picking, the others were just there for audience participation.  

Funny thing about Sierra, I had just brought her up earlier that day, and when I saw her standing there, it took me a minute to remember who she was.  Even more so when they called her a Survivor favorite.

Yeah I mean she is not even the first Sierra I think of when I think about Survivor.  The Sierra from Coach's first season is the first Sierra that comes to my mind.  In fact, for a brief moment I thought it was that Sierra and then I realized she was too tall.

• Love 3

There's a movie coming up called Nerve, where people decide whether to participate in the actual action of a reality show, or sit and watch, and give the participants actions to do in order to win money.  Until they're ordered to kill each other.

33 minutes ago, Rick Kitchen said:

There's a movie coming up called Nerve, where people decide whether to participate in the actual action of a reality show, or sit and watch, and give the participants actions to do in order to win money.  Until they're ordered to kill each other.

The theme of an audience passively endorsing a reality show that includes murder is one that goes back to much older books and movies (even ones that pre-date actual reality shows). 

On 7/25/2016 at 4:18 PM, Nutjob said:

Honestly, I had no idea he and Jenna had broken up. That's how out of touch I am with these things.

Me, too. Of course, it's also indicative of how little I care. If it’s not illegal or immoral, I don't really care what these people do. Even then, I only care as much as I care about any other asshole doing such things. 

• Love 2

http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/news/1005653/get-pumped-for-survivor-season-33-when-the-millennials-and-gen-xers-battle-it-out/?ftag=MKT-01-10aaa6b

Cast for S33 is officially revealed.  Jeff says they did this theme because of the desire to see younger people play, and of the constant culture change.  Isn't that basically summing up Nicaragua meets Worlds Apart?

From this video at least, they seem like a fun group.  I'm rooting for Team GenX as of right now.

Edited by LadyChatts

I am absolutely stunned. I just briefly read through all the bios and not one woman, I repeat not one woman, compared herself to Parvati.  I don't think this has ever happened post season 20.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, LanceM said:

I am absolutely stunned. I just briefly read through all the bios and not one woman, I repeat not one woman, compared herself to Parvati.  I don't think this has ever happened post season 20.

Maybe they're all too young to remember her.:)

• Love 2
On 8/17/2016 at 0:41 PM, LadyChatts said:

Cast for S33 is officially revealed.  Jeff says they did this theme because of the desire to see younger people play, and of the constant culture change. 

Haven't they been casting this way for years?  Why don't they just call this season what it is:  "We Skipped Casting the Token Old Person Because They'd Just Get Voted Off First Anyway"

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Maverick said:

Haven't they been casting this way for years?  Why don't they just call this season what it is:  "We Skipped Casting the Token Old Person Because They'd Just Get Voted Off First Anyway"

I'm not good with statistics, but I went back to the last few Survivor seasons to see just how young the casts were (not counting Second Chances).  Just to see if Probst's argument held up.  Last season, 9 of the 18 person cast were in their 20s (or 19 in Julia's case).  S30, 7/18 were.  And S29, 9/20 were.  And this season...9/20 are in their 20s (18 in one case, but close enough).  And one of the people on the 'they're changing the world, young and hip tribe' is in her 30s.  On average, it seems as though the main casting age range is 20s-30s.  So Probst's argument falls a little flat.  As usual.  And his hype has me worried that this season is going to be WA style train wreck, because that's the last season he got super excited about.

What's next?  Survivor: High School?

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 7
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 0:47 AM, KimberStormer said:

Is it Kelley Wentworth now, IS IT KELLEY WENTWORTH?  Was I right???

One woman did mention Kelley Wentworth. I think it was Mari.

Redmond did an analysis of what Survivors have been mentioned the most in this question starting with season 21. Not surprising it is Parvati by a wide margin (24 times) over the second place person Boston Rob at 16.  Stephanie Lagrossa is the second most mentioned female at 11 times.

http://insidesurvivor.com/survivor-contestant-youre-most-like-stats-16229

22 minutes ago, LanceM said:

One woman did mention Kelley Wentworth. I think it was Mari.

Redmond did an analysis of what Survivors have been mentioned the most in this question starting with season 21. Not surprising it is Parvati by a wide margin (24 times) over the second place person Boston Rob at 16.  Stephanie Lagrossa is the second most mentioned female at 11 times.

http://insidesurvivor.com/survivor-contestant-youre-most-like-stats-16229

Could be worse. I mean the question is "most like" not something like "most admire" or "most want to emulate". I mean if I was talking about women who'd done well in the game, then you'd think there'd be some Kim Spradlin in there, because she dominated people so easily, but I guess people go with the face they know, ergo Parvati (and Jeff Probst has always had it in for Kim Spradlin so she doesn't get mentioned). Then again, I suppose Danni Boatwright is another female winner disrespected (and thus never mentioned) even more than Kim (also because apparently a lot of Danni's "game" wasn't shown on camera--and Stephanie Lagrossa came off as the one who got cheated out of a win). 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

In case you don't have HBO, Bill Simmons saluted Probst on Any Given Wednesday.

As much as I respect Bill, I feel this is a slurp job. And he doesn't know Probst has a bunch of Emmys, more than he deserves. Now I'm dreading the eating of the tuckus of Johnny Bananas from The Challenge. It's only a matter of time.

ETA: Funny115 v3.0 is up and running! Inappropriate chicken jokes and Colton bashing! Fun for the whole family!

http://parade.com/508759/joshwigler/jeff-probst-survivor-millennials-vs-gen-x/4/

Is anyone going to call Probst out and tell him he has the exact same number of youngin's as any other season?

These were the highlights:

The Millennials, as a group, made me very happy. They made me happy because they had a very care-free attitude toward life. I found myself going home at the end of the day quite often and wanting to be more like them and less like my generation.

The turning point is that we saw five really great young people, and then a guy in his mid-40s came in and said, “Wow, what’s with all the kids?” And we started thinking, “Oh my god, this is a generational thing. That guy who just said, ‘What’s with all the kids?’ Not that long ago, he was probably saying, ‘What’s with all the old people?'” It really bloomed right there. We started interviewing people differently.

Edited by LadyChatts

He's so goofy.  I liked this line.  

When Generation X people walked in, we would interview them and ask, “What do you think about these… I guess they’re called Millennials? Question mark?”

Because, "Question mark?"  The Wikipedia part was so goofy, too.  

I like Jeff but you can tell he and his regular stable of interviewers are just throwing stuff out there to try to sound relevant and interesting.  I guess more power to them, if it keeps the show on.  I'm not sure his shtick is really partly responsible but who knows.  Or rather, who knows?  Question mark?  

I just hate that some of these interviewers are so far up his ass that they won't call him out for his hype and ask if he's pulling another WA style mistake.  Or, you know, just casually point out he has the same number of 20 somethings as last season.  I just picture Jeff, hearing that GenXer say "what's with all the kids?", and his eyes getting wide, his eyebrows raising to the point that they go to the middle of scalp, that big grin on his face, and literally seeing that lightbulb go off over his head.  I mean, the way Jeff tells it, they discover these themes like they use to discover Hollywood starlets back in the 40s.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

http://parade.com/508759/joshwigler/jeff-probst-survivor-millennials-vs-gen-x/4/

1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

The Millennials, as a group, made me very happy. They made me happy because they had a very care-free attitude toward life. I found myself going home at the end of the day quite often and wanting to be more like them and less like my generation.

Oh that makes me so sad.  I just know Jeff is going to continue to say some  gushy version of that quote through every episode.  'Look at those perky youngsters!  Aren't they just wonderful!"

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Oh that makes me so sad.  I just know Jeff is going to continue to say some  gushy version of that quote through every episode.  'Look at those perky youngsters!  Aren't they just wonderful!"

If Jeff does that, then I say we all chip in and buy him a walker for his next birthday.  To be delivered on-set.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I just hate that some of these interviewers are so far up his ass that they won't call him out for his hype and ask if he's pulling another WA style mistake.  Or, you know, just casually point out he has the same number of 20 somethings as last season.  I just picture Jeff, hearing that GenXer say "what's with all the kids?", and his eyes getting wide, his eyebrows raising to the point that they go to the middle of scalp, that big grin on his face, and literally seeing that lightbulb go off over his head.  I mean, the way Jeff tells it, they discover these themes like they use to discover Hollywood starlets back in the 40s.

And in season 30, and in season 29 and so on and so on. Hell they had 10 players under 30 in season 1.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, LanceM said:

And in season 30, and in season 29 and so on and so on. Hell they had 10 players under 30 in season 1.

So what's going to be next season?  High school vs college students?  College students free of debt vs college grads paying loans off for the next 50 yrs working 4 jobs?  Or will they jump the ultimate shark and say even 18 isn't even young enough, let's go younger.  It's so ridiculous with these themes to begin with.  But the way Jeff goes on and on about them, it one ups how stupid the theme was in the first place.  I get how he has to hype, but there's a difference between just saying 'please watch, it'll be a great season!' and this.  And, this season might be great!  But because Probst can't zip it, if the hype doesn't deliver, people might think it's terrible.  I just don't get the logic of getting younger people on this show.  If they aren't applying, or you're running out of applicants, recruit.  Joaquin was found on Tinder for crying out loud.  And not that I'm saying he was great pick, but hey, there are many more avenues today than there were 10 years ago.  So a tribe of millennials is supposed to...what exactly?  Make their 29 and under casting pool blow up?  Make them cool?

Also, I will love any millennial (even if they are the second coming of Dan Foley) if they say to Probst "thanks Jeff!  Glad someone old and not from our generation gets us!"  Bonus points if it's one of Jeff's favorites this season.

ETA: off the subject of our current Survivor season for a moment, but here is the trailer release for Joe/Kelly's reality show (looks like it'll be on Youtube and IG).  I don't know if anyone remembers that show Kelly hosted way back after her first stint on Survivor, Celebrity Adventures, but the concept here reminds me of that.

http://www.people.com/article/survivors-kelly-wiglesworth-joe-anglim-team-up-mana

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

This is for you, LadyChatts...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fien-print/survivor-millennials-gen-x-premiere-931716?utm_source=twitter

Some highlights:

"It's almost as if old people always think young people have it easier than they did and don't respect the process as much as they did, when the reality might be that young people are always young people and old people are always old people, at least until we start getting our Logan's Run on. But anyway... Let's ignore the facts so that we can make generalizations."

" Because the Millennials went with the chickens and Gen X picked fishing, Probst could declare "Gen X is looking longterm, Millennials are looking shorter," as if this were a meaningful choice in a game that will doubtlessly be shuffled or merged within 10 days. Nobody's taking up permanent residence in Fiji, so maybe the Millennials just like eggs and the Gen Xers had a player who lists "spear fishing" among his hobbies"

"The Gen X tribe lost the challenge not because they earned every darned trophy they received as kids and they couldn't go online until they were in their teens, but rather because two stupid people announced they were good at puzzles when they were not, in fact, good at puzzles. The Millennials didn't win the challenge because of their distrust of physical media or their adulation of Bernie Sanders, but rather because they were slightly better at puzzles than their competition. "

and finally, as we have been saying all along...

"Labels aside, this is the same Survivor cast as always. Will's on the young side, but we've had contestants nearly as young. The average age here might be a hair older than usual. Maybe. The women are a pretty diverse group. The men are not. But it's just Survivor with Jeff Probst saying stupid things about generations."

• Love 7

That was great!  So glad people are calling out how stupid this whole theme is, and the concept that it was about getting younger applicants (when they haven't been having that problem in the first place).  I love how the author points out that their brother virtually doesn't exist being born in 1983, because GenX cuts off at 1982 and Millennials start at 1984 (according to the logic of Probst and company, anyway).  Also this:

Bottom Line, I. We missed something in voting strategy for the Gen Xers, right?

Assuming GenX loses again this week, I hope maybe we see a little bit more from their camp, and a little less from Camp Cool Kids meets the Misfits.  I have no problem remembering anyone from the millennials, but during TC, I didn't know where half of the GenX tribe came from.  If Jessica didn't get the legacy advantage or have the funky eye infection, I doubt she would have gotten any airtime, either.  It would have been nice to maybe see why CeCe was targeted, or why the heck Rachel threw a random vote Sunday's way.  They couldn't have spent 5 seconds showing Ken telling her that's the way the vote was going?

Edited by LadyChatts
7 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

It amazes me that this guy is still so salty about Michele winning!  He wants Hannah to destroy Michelle, because Hannah reminds him of Aubry and Michelle has the same name as Michele?  That is completely insane.

From what that "this guy" feels, says and wants, he's indeed a total moron, but who are you talking about here?

• Love 1

I assume she means the THR article writer in the link just above.  

I just scanned the article but he does sound like a moron.  He talks about "people who say they're good at puzzles and then are not good at puzzles".  It's not like puzzles is one skill.  It's like saying if you're good at some sports you should be good at ALL sports.