Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

My favorite was his comments about Troyzan on how he is a game changer because he yelled at a bunch of women that this was "his island" and that he wasn't going to go out without putting up a fight.  Of course the minute he lost immunity he was promptly voted out.

• Love 7
(edited)

http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/01/survivor-game-changers-cast-surprises/

In addition to Sandra, Caleb also doesn't think Tony is a game changer.  Ozzy doesn't understand why Caleb is a game changer for having heat stroke.  Hali is so adorable since she doesn't understand why she's even out there.  

No one really mentioned the boring Sierra.  I wonder if they could even remember her.  Speaking of that Sierra, she mentioned Tony scaring her again.  If they make it to the same tribe at some point, I wonder if that'll be her parting words for him when she writes his name down.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 6

For someone who spent eight days not doing much of anything and then half a day almost dying because he couldn't tell the difference between a reward challenge and an immunity challenge, Caleb certainly has a lot of opinions on who's worthy to play this season.

• Love 8
On 2/27/2017 at 7:46 PM, LanceM said:

Jeff Probst's cast assessment where he explains how everyone in the cast is a game changer.

He was pretty positive about everyone but a few people whom I've already forgotten - Ozzy was one.  Probst new favorite term - not a closer or a closer.  Ozzy is not a closer (according to JP).  Not trying to be mean or anything but Sandra is not only older but also heavier, that's going to be hard.  Varner has a pretty big belly going to.  Saw who Sarah was, got a vague memory of who she was.  Saw some faces in those old clips that make me grateful for this cast.  No one I really really can't stand (looking at you bounty hunter).  

I'd like to think that Caleb is just trolling the fan base at this point. That he is right sitting home in Kentucky laughing at all the reactions to him all over the internet.  I'd like to think that. But no, I think he is just completely clueless. At the other end of the spectrum I love Hali's response. She knows that she doesn't fit this BS theme so why bother to pretend and give a lame answer like so many in this cast have done. If anyone wants to know why I am a fan of hers this response could be exhibit A.  It was nice of her to throw Sierra's name in there too. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, LanceM said:

I'd like to think that Caleb is just trolling the fan base at this point. That he is right sitting home in Kentucky laughing at all the reactions to him all over the internet.  I'd like to think that. But no, I think he is just completely clueless. At the other end of the spectrum I love Hali's response. She knows that she doesn't fit this BS theme so why bother to pretend and give a lame answer like so many in this cast have done. If anyone wants to know why I am a fan of hers this response could be exhibit A.  It was nice of her to throw Sierra's name in there too. 

That was one reason I liked her and Jenn during WA.  They kind of mocked the whole collar aspect of the season, and purposely played it up.  Jeff and half of this cast is already super annoying with the whole game changers aspect.  Some of whom actually seem to buy into it.  I love that Hali doesn't take this show seriously, and isn't looking to be a professional Survivor for the rest of her life.

In terms of Caleb-he's just an idiot that believes his own non existent hype.

• Love 7

That video is hysterical.  I can't get over how young he looks (and all that hair!).

I would love to see Phil Keoghans demo tape for this.  It's still funny to think about that it could have been him wearing the khaki shorts and sniffing torches twice a year on our TV screens.  I believe he and Jeff would have been night and day difference.  But I just equate Survivor and Jeff as being one and the same anymore that I forget he wasn't the only choice.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, LanceM said:

So I guess Jeff Probst was on JImmy Fallon and Jimmy showed a clip of Jeff's demo tape to Mark Burnett back in 1999, Enjoy.

This needs to be distributed worldwide. Really. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

That video is hysterical.  I can't get over how young he looks (and all that hair!).

I would love to see Phil Keoghans demo tape for this.  It's still funny to think about that it could have been him wearing the khaki shorts and sniffing torches twice a year on our TV screens.  I believe he and Jeff would have been night and day difference.  But I just equate Survivor and Jeff as being one and the same anymore that I forget he wasn't the only choice.

I really hope those clips were from the late 80s/early 90s because there is no excuse for that hockey hair/quasi mullet in 1999. Also, he misspelled "principal actor" ;) 

I also can't picture anyone else in the role, kinda like Ryan Seacrest and AI. Their distinctive voices seem to be half the connection for me, I could pick either one of those 2 voices out of any radio spot any time. 

• Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:50 PM, KimberStormer said:

Jeff's previous experience was mostly in corporate training videos

I wonder why he didn't have any clips from Rock'n'Roll Jeopardy on his reel??

• Love 1

I think Rock n Roll Jeopardy was after he started Survivor.   I wondered why he didn't have anything from his gig on FX when it first started.  He was an on-air host there which was more applicable to what he was applying for than corporate training videos.

• Love 1
On 3/1/2017 at 2:59 PM, Giesela said:

Not trying to be mean or anything but Sandra is not only older but also heavier, that's going to be hard. 

She never depended on physicality, either at camp or at challenges, so I don't think it matters. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Maverick said:

I think Rock n Roll Jeopardy was after he started Survivor.   I wondered why he didn't have anything from his gig on FX when it first started.  He was an on-air host there which was more applicable to what he was applying for than corporate training videos.

Rock n Roll Jeopardy was on in the late 90's for maybe 4 seasons, so pre Survivor. Maybe demo given to Burnett in 1999 was made before. Demo really looked like early 80's. One thing I noticed in the clip was how much plastic surgery it seems Jeff had had. His hair doesn't look real either.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

She never depended on physicality, either at camp or at challenges, so I don't think it matters. 

It doesn't matter, she still has to walk to challenges, participate in challenges even if poorly, walk away from camp to have talks with people, do some camp chores.  All that with extra weight is so much harder, more uncomfortable, hotter.  Which all messes with your temper, your ability to think, your ability to motivate and get along.  I'm not saying its a huge deal but its will have an impact whether its very obvious or not. 

17 hours ago, Giesela said:

It doesn't matter, she still has to walk to challenges, participate in challenges even if poorly, walk away from camp to have talks with people, do some camp chores.  All that with extra weight is so much harder, more uncomfortable, hotter.  Which all messes with your temper, your ability to think, your ability to motivate and get along.  I'm not saying its a huge deal but its will have an impact whether its very obvious or not. 

Purely my own personal opinion, but I think going into a season with a degree of extra body fat is a sound strategic decision. 

Sure, going into the game all slim and trim looks good for the camera - at first.  A significant element of Survivor, though, is maintaining physical and mental alacrity over the course of a 39 day exercise in moderate starvation.  So starting a season with an absolute minimum of body fat means that after about Day 2 or 3 that buff-and-cut body will start scavenging itself for the nutrients it's not getting from the minimal diet, and its only available source will be muscle.  2-3 weeks into this exercise in starvation and that body which looked so good on camera the first week is beginning to look more like summer camp photos from Dachau, and is significantly physically weaker from muscle loss.

Having some extra padding won't eliminate muscle predation by any means, but it will (a) put off its immediate onset and (b) reduce its degree so long as some body fat remains as an alternate consumable metabolic resource.  Which means that while the body might not be quite so svelte in the early days of the season, its muscle mass will be better preserved and stronger in the game's latter days - when winning an immunity or reward challenge might be much more strategically significant.

So - considering Ozzy and Sandra both have multiple personal experiences playing Survivor and know its effects on their bodies - why assume their extra reserves are a liability?  Or, for that matter, even an accident?  :)

• Love 14

Weight loss hasn't seemed that extreme these past few seasons.  Not that they aren't hungry and don't lose weight but its not like it used to be.  That loss of mental acuity from weight loss seems to hit young buff men the worst.   IDK have you ever been heavy?  Extra weight can really drag you down and get in your way.  Bending over when you are overweight - you can't breath, its like the pressure on your lungs  just stops them from expanding.  IDK if she's big enough for that to happen though.  Varner's belly maybe.   Getting up from the ground will make you puff and pant  Big boobs just get in the way of everything!  Its tiring.  There is a optimum of a little bit of extra fat to carry you along and too much. I don't think she's well overweight but I think she is behind the optimum as is Varner's belly.  IDK how long she has been heavier.  That plays into it as well, how used to it you are.  

Anyway its just a comment.  I know how uncomfortable and limiting being heavy can be.  Whether it affects Sandra and Varner or not is something we will see soon.  

On 3/4/2017 at 7:18 PM, Giesela said:

IMO, Sandra is roughly the same size she was in her very first season, she was smaller during HvVs, but she looks pretty much the same as she did in Pearl Islands to me. I'm also not seeing where she's so heavy that it would have such an effect on walking, breathing, etc. She's not thin, but she's not on her way to a crossover with My 600-pound Life or anything. ;) 

Varner's belly is more of an issue because of the back strain, plus he has COPD, which is going to be his biggest challenge. 

• Love 7
On 3/6/2017 at 7:08 AM, Giesela said:

Anyway its just a comment.  I know how uncomfortable and limiting being heavy can be.  Whether it affects Sandra and Varner or not is something we will see soon.  

Have spent most of my adult life far more overweight than Sandra is. Still manage to be fairly physically active, and I have never had my weight interfere with the ability to think. I don't think that's even a thing. So, no, I don't think a little bit of weight affects game play. We have seen heavier-than-average players do well in both physical  (Rupert) and strategic  (Cirie) play. I just think it is a non-factor, especially for someone who plays like Sandra. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Jeff Probst lhighlights the game changers to look out for this season:

http://www.tvguide.com/news/survivor-game-changers-jeff-probst-premiere/

I don't think the numbering means anything but I am totally fascinated by who is listed as #1. I believe this interview happened after the season had already wrapped.

Here are the opening credits for this season that actually will never be shown during the episode itself

http://survivingtribal.com/2017/03/07/survivor-game-changers-opening-credits-finally-revealed/

Edited by LanceM

All I keep seeing from him about Sierra is her playing the same game and picking up where she left off.  Maybe I'm missing something, but is that a good thing?  What did she really do her season other than not flip and be nice?  And is her "taking it into 4th gear" just mean she does the same thing, but with veterans now?

I do love how Jeff is such a fan of Hali.  Since he said they went back and forth with CBS over who to bring back, I wonder if he's the reason she was included.  I definitely agree with his statements on her.

A video on who the Game Changers cast wanted to have back on this season:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/08/survivor-game-changers-cast-video/

Highlights: Sandra was disappointed that she was the only female winner cast. Said she would have loved to have seen another female winner, name drops Kim Spradlin from One World. A couple of mentions of Kelley Wentworth, Boston Rob, Hantz and Penner. In true Tony fashion, he doesn't care who comes back and who he plays against.

Speaking of Kim, I am actually disappointed that she hasn't been asked back and that TPTB don't seem interested in bringing her back. I know she's been having babies left and right, and of course, that gets in the way. But even though she played one of the most dominant games ever, Jeff just doesn't seem all that impressed by her. Well, why not pit her against "stronger" players and see how she plays? It's kinda disappointing how the likes of Sierra, Debbie, Caleb, etc. have all gotten back while Kim hasn't. Some people find her boring, but I do like her zen-like approach to the game. She's an alpha without being an outward alpha.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

A video on who the Game Changers cast wanted to have back on this season:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/08/survivor-game-changers-cast-video/

Highlights: Sandra was disappointed that she was the only female winner cast. Said she would have loved to have seen another female winner, name drops Kim Spradlin from One World. A couple of mentions of Kelley Wentworth, Boston Rob, Hantz and Penner. In true Tony fashion, he doesn't care who comes back and who he plays against.

Speaking of Kim, I am actually disappointed that she hasn't been asked back and that TPTB don't seem interested in bringing her back. I know she's been having babies left and right, and of course, that gets in the way. But even though she played one of the most dominant games ever, Jeff just doesn't seem all that impressed by her. Well, why not pit her against "stronger" players and see how she plays? It's kinda disappointing how the likes of Sierra, Debbie, Caleb, etc. have all gotten back while Kim hasn't. Some people find her boring, but I do like her zen-like approach to the game. She's an alpha without being an outward alpha.

Andrea had a pregame with Sophie. Surprised that she was kinda transparent there.

I agree with Sandra.  I actually think it's unfair to the winners this season, because they are at a disadvantage.  I wish they could have gone with their original plan of having an all winners tribe, along with the jury and pre-jury tribe.  Winners probably still would have been targeted, but if they got a decent group, maybe they could have gone further.  Winners did okay during HvsV (obviously, since two of them wound up in the final 2 and we got a two time winner).  

I thought I heard Kelley Wentworth turned this season down.  It's probably for the best that she isn't playing so close to her last season.  Some of the winners they mentioned (Earl, Sophie), were on the short list.  Lots of people wanted to see Boston Rob and Penner.  Does Kim want to come back?  I've always been under the impression she didn't want to come back.  I hope she gets another shot if she does.  Probst needs to do a little more listening to the fans once in awhile, a little less pretending that everyone he wants to see back is who he thinks everyone is dying to see again (and in some cases, again and again).

Ozzy mentioned Cao Boi!  

• Love 2
(edited)
14 minutes ago, thehepburn said:

Andrea had a pregame with Sophie. Surprised that she was kinda transparent there.

Sophie was one of the last cuts, no? I wonder what's the consideration. Especially because they have Sierra Dawn in there. (Sorry, I'm still really not over her being cast as a "Game Changer". But I will take back all of what I said about her if she pulls off a Wentworth this season).

13 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I agree with Sandra.  I actually think it's unfair to the winners this season, because they are at a disadvantage.  I wish they could have gone with their original plan of having an all winners tribe, along with the jury and pre-jury tribe.  Winners probably still would have been targeted, but if they got a decent group, maybe they could have gone further.  Winners did okay during HvsV (obviously, since two of them wound up in the final 2 and we got a two time winner).  

I thought I heard Kelley Wentworth turned this season down.  It's probably for the best that she isn't playing so close to her last season.  Some of the winners they mentioned (Earl, Sophie), were on the short list.  Lots of people wanted to see Boston Rob and Penner.  Does Kim want to come back?  I've always been under the impression she didn't want to come back.  I hope she gets another shot if she does.  Probst needs to do a little more listening to the fans once in awhile, a little less pretending that everyone he wants to see back is who he thinks everyone is dying to see again (and in some cases, again and again).

Ozzy mentioned Cao Boi!  

There's lots of "good on paper" concepts floating around for returnees season, like what you mentioned above. Someday I would like to see an all-winners season. Someone else also mentioned a "Zero to Hero" concept of bringing back Final 3 players who got zero votes during FTC. There's always FvF, BvW. 

Martin Holmes did say that Wentworth turned it down, apparently. And so did Joe Anglim. Kim did mention about wanting to come back and not being invited yet, but that was like 3 babies ago or something. Motherhood may have changed that desire to play again, I suppose.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Sophie was one of the last cuts, no? I wonder what's the consideration. Especially because we have Sierra Dawn in there. (Sorry, I'm still really not over her being cast as a "Game Changer". But I will take back all of what I said about her if she pulls off a Wentworth this season).

From what i gather, Sophie was cut for Nat A. Then when Nat A. pulled out last min, producers asked Sophie to take her place. Sophie couldnt do it last min bc she had a real job, which is why we got FFSDT.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Sophie was one of the last cuts, no? I wonder what's the consideration. Especially because they have Sierra Dawn in there. (Sorry, I'm still really not over her being cast as a "Game Changer". But I will take back all of what I said about her if she pulls off a Wentworth this season).

There's lots of "good on paper" concepts floating around for returnees season, like what you mentioned above. Someday I would like to see an all-winners season. Someone else also mentioned a "Zero to Hero" concept of bringing back Final 3 players who got zero votes during FTC. There's always FvF, BvW. 

Martin Holmes did say that Wentworth turned it down, apparently. And so did Joe Anglim. Kim did mention about wanting to come back and not being invited yet, but that was like 3 babies ago or something. Motherhood may have changed that desire to play again, I suppose.

I did hear Joe turned them down.  Which ruined my fantasy Ozzy/Malcolm/Joe season, but again, probably better in the long run.  No way he would have gone to the merge this time.  I would love to see him play again, along with Wentworth.  I hope Sierra can be another Wentworth or Parvati, or just something better than she was during WA.  Her interviews, and even Probst's comments, don't give me hope.  I just don't get that one, when I think of all the other players who were rumored this season, and all the other players that have expressed interest in coming back.  So hopefully she delivers.  Though I can't say I'd care if she does, because I don't know if I really want to like her.  

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, thehepburn said:

From what i gather, Sophie was cut for Nat A. Then when Nat A. pulled out last min, producers asked Sophie to take her place. Sophie couldnt do it last min bc she had a real job, which is why we got FFSDT.

Well I don't know what FF means, but I guess that just confirms it - production probably knows  SDT is on call anytime as part of the Dirty30 crew. ;)

Though I can't say I'd care if she does, because I don't know if I really want to like her.  

LOL! What a dilemma, right? I do end up liking players who played much better their second time around. Admittedly, I did question Wentworth's inclusion in SC - I know it's fan voted, but more like, why would fans want to even see her again?! - but thank God, she ended up playing in that season. 

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, piequinn35 said:

Wth is FFSDT? fan favorite Sierra?

or fan favorite Sandra? 

acronym :P

LOL! I didnt invent that acronym; it's a thing that I see everywhere. Fan Favorite Sierra. Meant ironically, of course.

(edited)

it stands for Fan Favorite Sierra Dawn Thomas. She along with Ozzy were spokes models on the Price is Right when they had all the Survivors on the show.  The two of them were introduced as fan favorites Sierra and Ozzy which made people laugh because well you know.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, enlightenedbum said:

It's kind of weird that Andrea's hosting People's recap show while also being a contestant.

EDIT: Though I hope she has Sophie and Courtney there every week.

Andrea is so good that I can't even tell how she placed. She's does a great job at hosting but not showing her cards. She didn't get much airtime so I'm looking forward to watching her on Survivor & People.com.

On 3/9/2017 at 4:25 AM, LadyChatts said:

Ozzy mentioned Cao Boi!  

He did!!!!??? Awww. I knew Ozzy was more than his TV persona! I wish Cao Boi was brought back too, he invented the move that Cirie gets credit for, after all, and he was such an interesting person (one of the first "characters", when characters were still interesting, unusual people rather than annoying fame wannabes).

• Love 4

So CBS is being a bunch of greedy bastards and only putting their secret scenes on CBS All-Access for which you will have to pay $5.99 a month to watch.  Hopefully this won't be the case all season but thankfully the good folks at Reddit have made them available so you can watch for free.

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/5xvwjk/survivor_game_changers_episode_1_videos_unblocked/?st=j04huk31&sh=0bf881dc

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 3

I already have all access but didn't even think to check there.  I was wondering where they were!  That is really crappy, though.  Hopefully they get enough backlash for it and reverse.

Edited by LadyChatts

Rob had mentioned that on the podcast. He was kind of surprised too because he likes to get all the information needed. Yup! CBS is being super greedy and know that some people will pay for it. I cancelled All Access after BB ended. I won't be renewing so I'll have to live without the extra scenes.

10 hours ago, enlightenedbum said:

Cirie split the vote in Exile Island, a season before Cook Islands. Though it wasn't to dodge an idol but to eliminate a goat.

You're right. For some reasons I remembered the two seasons in the wrong order.

4 minutes ago, KimberStormer said:

Cirie did a completely different kind of split-vote, if anything more impressive than Plan Voodoo,

Thinking about it, you're right.  Cirie's 3-2-1 plan (so named because it was at the F6, and she got the votes split 3 ways, exactly 3-2-1) is more impressive.

In that vote Cirie, Aras, and Danielle all voted for the goat Courtney (not Yates), Courtney and Terry Dietz (holding both the II and the original overpowered HII) voted Aras, and Shane voted Danielle.  There was an obvious failure point.  Terry could have played his HII on Courtney after the votes, thus saving her and sending out eventual winner Aras instead.  But Cirie (and everyone else on that season) knew that he was saving that to protect his own ass, even though he was an immunity monster.  So the plan succeeded.

Plan Voodoo, on the other hand, is relatively foolproof, as long as you have a majority alliance that can all agree to follow the plan exactly (looking at you here Tyson...).  The only sticking point is if the small side of the majority split is equal to the opposition.  Then the revote might happen (if that rule is in play.)  But since the entire majority will align on the revote, it's not a complete failure.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Maybe CBS can't find as many companies wanting to advertise during the show? What were the latest rating numbers, anyone know?

From Inside Survivor:

The double-episode premiere received 7.64 million viewers and 1.7/6 in the Adults 18-49 Rating/Share. This is Survivor’s lowest rated premiere in history. Last fall’s Survivor: Millennial vs. Gen X opened to a 2.3, and last spring’s Survivor: Kaoh Rong started with a 1.9 for the premiere. So this is quite a significant drop for Survivor, perhaps caused by the unusual March start date.

Damn! Maybe you're right.