Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Per Jeff S50 will be returning players

Furthermore, there will not be any more returning players until S50.

• Useful 1

Unfortunately, the returning players I would most want to see have either aged out or are considered 'less than' as they may be from real/original Survivor, and we know that according to Jeff (earlier this season), they would not have helped Ben with his anxiety attack and therefore do not meet the requirements to be in the 'new era' of over dramatic, attention seeking, er, kinder and gentler players (insert eye roll).  Sigh.  Maybe they would consider going back to 39 days for the returnees...

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Thank you for posting the article about the deaths of Survivor contestants.  I didn't realize some of those contestants had died and it was a sombering and sad read.  I remembered most of them and felt genuine sadness.

3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Unfortunately, the returning players I would most want to see have either aged out or are considered 'less than' as they may be from real/original Survivor, and we know that according to Jeff (earlier this season), they would not have helped Ben with his anxiety attack and therefore do not meet the requirements to be in the 'new era' of over dramatic, attention seeking, er, kinder and gentler players (insert eye roll).  Sigh.  Maybe they would consider going back to 39 days for the returnees...

I wonder if we will get any players from the pre-new era.  Outside of the winners who came back for S40, S35-39 have yet to be represented on any returning player Survivor season (although the show may want to forget S39 occurred all together).  It did make me wonder if they’d do a regular 39 day season for S50 but I guess that would depend on budget.  

(edited)

On the positive side (except for making us feel old), Rob and Amber have been married 19 years.  Also, it sounds doubtful that they will be part of S50...

Boston Rob and Amber Brkich Just Celebrated Their 19th Anniversary: "It's Different Stages" (EXCLUSIVE)
BY JAMIE LERNER   APR. 29 2024
https://www.distractify.com/p/boston-rob-amber-now 

"Just like on the island, life now is a little bit of a balancing act. But we try to make time for ourselves. We just recently went to Mexico for a friend's wedding. It's different stages, just like everything. And it's good.”
It’s been over 20 years since Rob and Amber fell in love, and from the sounds of it, they are still going strong. They last competed together on Survivor: Winners at War, during which their kids actually came out to visit during a very unique family visit. While Rob likely wouldn’t play Survivor again — he said the target on him is too big to make it worth it now — we would all love to see him and Amber join forces for something else in the future, which he seems open to.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

I don't have any two players I hate more than I hate Boston Rob and Parvati. Only their memory makes me want to throw up. I don't think Boston Rob's behavior would be ok today with the social media. He would have been canceled, but back then he was just a hero. 🤢

Season 8 was rather outstanding.  Definitely remember the heat with that season.  That being said, in terms of hating a past participant, I don't think there's any version of the history of the planet where I'd rank Rob & Amber first place over Spilo or Hantz.  But we all have our favorites and our villains.  No big deal.

For a second, I thought the headline was something I read a couple days ago, but I think I have clarity.  Not just 2021 to present players, with would've been a big mistake.  There's no reason to do Winners at War 2 here.  A lot of better non-winners than winners.

Glad Jeff cleared up that concern.  I was a little concerned that he'd have made the same mistake Bertram made about a decade ago at this time

I remember awhile back there were rumors of a Third Time's the Charm season, basically a third chance for people that have been on it twice, with another fan vote to determine the players. I think that would be fun.

For several options on news related to the release of the 2024-2025 CBS Primetime TV schedule, I'd go a GOOGLE search for them.  Especially given the fact that The Wrap actually wrote something to the tune of Survivor being back with an "All-Star Cast" for Season 47 which, in reality, is more than the opposite.

Ratings: Abbott Elementary Rises, Jeopardy! Masters Returns Down
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   MAY 2, 2024 
https://tvline.com/ratings/jeopardy-masters-season-2-premiere-viewers-low-1235227655/ 

CBS | Survivor (4.8 mil/0.8) and The Amazing Race (2.7 mil/0.4) both rose in the demo.

CBS Will Finally Debut Strike-Delayed Shows
By Bill Bradley   May 2, 2024
https://www.adweek.com/convergent-tv/cbs-debut-strike-delayed-shows/ 

CBS Fall 2024-25 Schedule
(New programs in ALL CAPS; times are ET)

WEDNESDAY
8 p.m. — Survivor
9:30 p.m. — THE SUMMIT (later changing to the spring edition of The Amazing Race)

Edited by tv echo

'Survivor 46's Tiffany Nicole Ervin Reveals Q Refused to Let People Give Their Reward to Liz
MIKE BLOOM   MAY 2, 2024
https://parade.com/tv/tiffany-nicole-ervin-survivor-46-eliminated-interview 

I mean you would have a reason to be confused, given that Liz voted to keep Q a day after she tore into him after not getting picked for the reward. What was your reaction to that meltdown? Did you, Kenzie, or Maria think about volunteering your spot to give it to her?
That did happen! They just didn't show it. Both Maria and Kenzie tried to give up their spot for Liz. And Q said, "No. I chose who I chose."

Wait. Q said no?!
Yes. He said, "Nobody's giving up their spot. We're going to Applebee's. I don't want Liz to come. [Laughs.] I was intentional about my choices. And nobody's giving up their spot." I'm surprised they didn't show that. That happened. I didn't try to give up my spot because I was hungry, and I was going no matter what. Also, I did feel in that moment that me and Q needed to chat because we hadn't spoken in two days. But people tried to give up their spots. He just wasn't with it.
You had spoken the past couple of episodes about wanting to get rid of the idol because it put a target on you. When did that mentality change to wanting to keep it for future plans? And, if you had survived the vote, what were you setting up your endgame to be?
So here's the thing. I did not know how badly everybody was on my back until I watched the episodes. So me out there. I thought I had runway to move forward. Me watching it back. I'm like, "Oh, y'all was thirsty to get me out!" So maybe I didn't have as much runway as I thought, whether I use that idol or not. Now, I definitely have plans on how to move forward. And I saw a path to the end, a very clear one. But looking back, I'm like, "Oh, yeah, y'all was just ready to snake me at the first opportunity y'all got." So maybe my threat level was a lot bigger out there than I thought it was. But I definitely thought I had a path to the end.

What was that path. Who did you want to sit next to the most?
So if I had to choose like my ideal path, I would have got Q out that Tribal. And then I would have went back. Assuming that I still have my idol, we could use that to break up that Charlie/Maria thing. And I think if we had wiped off the board, it would have been a Yanu/Nami split. Even if we decided to keep Ben, I felt like if I sit next to Ben, if I sit next to Liz, if I sit next to Venus, if I sit next to Kenzie, I think I have a pretty good shot at pleading my case against any of those people. But as long as I took Charlie and Maria off the board before we got to the end, I had really good working relationships with almost everybody out there. So I think I could have I could have convinced people to take me to that. Either that or I could have took myself there.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Jeff Probst Thinks the ‘New Era’ Of ‘Survivor’ Is Just as ‘Tough If Not Tougher’ Than the ‘Old Era’ (Exclusive)
By Kaitlin Simpson  May 3, 2024
https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/jeff-probst-says-survivors-new-era-is-just-as-tough-as-ever/ 

“I say that the new era is as tough if not tougher than the 39-day season for a myriad of reasons,” Probst exclusively told Us Weekly on Thursday, May 2, during the CBS Fall Schedule Celebration. “But obviously if you’re a player who played 39 days you have a little bit of pride in saying, ‘I did the full season’ but you go 18 days without any food, and then let me ask you a question, let’s see how fast you respond or don’t.”
“If you have players from the old era, playing in the new era — that is a storyline that’s going to be really interesting,” he teased.

Probst elaborated that in the new era, players “cannot pause” or “try to hide” compared to earlier seasons since the game moves at a faster rate.

“In earlier seasons if you started with 10 people on your tribe, you could hide if you were clever for a couple of episodes. You could just duck and move and not get a vote,” he explained while noting that now the show utilizes smaller groups. “You have six people on your tribe. That means there’s only five other people you cannot hide and I think the good players come out and they’re playing to win immediately.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Mind Blown 2

I'll get to the Probst interview from US Magazine in a minute.  I do have to say it's a combination of laughable, sorta unnecessary, and a non-shocker that 90-minute Survivor is hear to stay.  I think there is plenty of time to fit in a quality episode within a single hour.  Like most things at the very least, it doesn't make (too much) sense to go backwards.  Furthermore, no sense in putting a new show slated to fail when to fill it with 30 extra minutes to go along with 30 extra minutes of The Amazing Race (or whatever airs after Survivor when TAR isn't on the schedule).

What's hilarious is new era survivor is about 66.67% compared to Old Era Survivor in terms of taping length.  Meanwhile old era survivor is about 66.67% compared to New Era Survivor in terms of TV time.

I disagree with Jeff (to a point).  Part of it is due to casting, and remaining, well, isn't. 

The old era had less benefit from previous seasons compared to the new era.  Going over 5 weeks is more taxing than South of 4 weeks.  You played against a ton of decent players.  While it is just a game, those people cared about the top prize and really just winning.  More often than not.

Jeff is right in that you cannot easily hide with 6 people, but there weren't always teams of 10 in the old era.  In fact, several seasons had even fewer than a half dozen to start.  Plus, hiding wasn't automatic.  If people can make a case over several people as to why they should stick around, the invisible player loses that invisibility.

Another defense for Probst is that you have to earn stuff that used to be given to people at the beginning or close to it.  Given all the changes within the new era, that can be difficult.  Plus, it's not cool when it feels like it's done on the fly; it's at a point where someone can't prepare for it.

Finally, there weren't an infinite number of HII opportunities in the past.  Not that it matters on the show today

I know that the 90-minute episodes were thrown at the show after the season's had already filmed, so I'm hoping with the advanced knowledge that the episodes will be this long going forward that editing will be tighter.  I don't oppose 90 minutes, but this season has been rough at times (though I enjoyed last season).

As to the other stuff in the article:

However, the Survivor team hasn’t made it any easier for the competitors. Players now face harsher elements as they get less food and comfort in the game. Tribes also have to earn their flint when they step foot on the beach in Fiji and get it taken away if they lose a challenge.

First, I don't think Fiji is the harshest in regards to elements, even without creature comforts.  But I do approve that they aren't throwing tarps and 20 fruit baskets and doing huge cookouts for every reward anymore.  However, I don't care for them withholding flint until a tribe wins (and then taking it away when they lose).  In the early years of the show, you got flint either by winning the first IC or after you voted someone off if you lost that first challenge.  That was a trade off, you got flint but it cost you a tribe member.  I do think that when they started withholding flint until you won a challenge, tribes could still use their torches to start a fire but it could be harder to keep it going.  I also think once you've won it, the flint shouldn't be taken away.

“You have six people on your tribe. That means there’s only five other people you cannot hide and I think the good players come out and they’re playing to win immediately.”

I get what he's saying, but I also don't think this is necessarily a good thing.  In watching previous seasons, sometimes it was head banging when people slipped by because they had no strategy and were simply a number that would get dumped later on (and I know Probst used to complain that better competitors and characters were voted out).  But now, like we saw what happened at Yanu, all it takes is 1 person to get voted off and then 3 people have the majority.  Unless there's idols/advantages in play (that people actually use) at least 2 people on a tribe are screwed.  So is it really better players or is it just lucky players who get a majority early on?  I know an argument can be made that 8-10 tribe divisions, there could be a majority early on, and history has shown that, but there was still more wiggle room.  I mean outside of Jelinsky being voted off first the next two Yanu votes were painfully predictable.

Edited by LadyChatts

May TV Calendar: 70+ Season and Series Finale Dates to Save!
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   MAY 4, 2024
https://tvline.com/lists/tv-schedule-2024-may-finale-dates-calendar/bob-hearts-abishola-series-finale-ncis-hawaii/ 

WEDNESDAY, MAY 22
8 pm Survivor Season 46 finale (3 hours)
8 pm Chicago Med Season 9 finale (NBC)
8 pm Jeopardy! Masters Season 2 finale (ABC)
8 pm The Masked Singer Season 11 finale (Fox)
9 pm Chicago Fire Season 12 finale (NBC)
9 pm Abbott Elementary Season 3 finale (ABC)
9:30 pm The Conners Season 6 finale (ABC)
10 pm Chicago P.D. Season 12 finale (NBC)
10 pm grown-ish series finale (Freeform)

Jeff Probst ('Survivor') at 2024 CBS New Fall Schedule Party red carpet
GoldDerby / Gold Derby   May 3, 2024

Survivor’s Jeff Probst Promises a Fiery Finish to Season 46: ‘The Gameplay Kept Getting More and More Intense’
BY NICK CARUSO  MAY 4, 2024
https://tvline.com/previews/survivor-46-finale-preview-jeff-probst-interview-video-1235228381/ 

“The rest of 46 is as good as the last few episodes have been,” he teases. “There was just this momentum happening out there where the gameplay just kept getting more and more intense, and it became harder and harder to tell who was telling the truth. Which means, if you have an idol in your pocket and you don’t know if you should play it, and you look to your friend and say, “Should I play it?” and they say “no,” you’ve got to decide. Are they my ally or are they betraying me? And that’s part of why Survivor is so addictive [because] you sit at home and play along.”
Probst recently announced that Season 50 will feature all-returnees, though he admits they haven’t yet decided on a theme or even the criteria they’ll consider when it comes to picking its players. “You just want 50 to be a celebration,” he says. “We did Winners at War for Survivor 40. I want this to be fun and I’ve been really impressed with a lot of fan ideas, so who knows where that will lead!”

Edited by tv echo
  • Thanks 1

At the end of the day, to be fair: I still look at the positives when it comes to the new era.  I'm more of a fan of what was very good in the past for the most part.  As mentioned, I respect Jeff Probst.  The jokes have come & gone, and hit or missed, but he's been the face of the program since Day One.

It is a shame that things change based on what he prefers before anyone else, but for me, if it were totally bad, I wouldn't watch.  Hats off to him for doubling down and not making excuses for what may be unpopular.

JP ain't going nowhere.  If so, that's outside of the foreseeable future.  Hopefully Survivor doesn't get to a point where a change makes the show look like TPTB putting something together with bare-minimum effort.  I image they'll adapt which is what contestants have to do or they're out of the game.  Maybe they will; maybe they will not.  Hopefully the latter isn't the case since there's never been a (network) TV show that lived on forever taking the cheap & easy road

1 hour ago, Carey said:

At the end of the day, to be fair: I still look at the positives when it comes to the new era.  I'm more of a fan of what was very good in the past for the most part.  As mentioned, I respect Jeff Probst.  The jokes have come & gone, and hit or missed, but he's been the face of the program since Day One.

It is a shame that things change based on what he prefers before anyone else, but for me, if it were totally bad, I wouldn't watch.  Hats off to him for doubling down and not making excuses for what may be unpopular.

JP ain't going nowhere.  If so, that's outside of the foreseeable future.  Hopefully Survivor doesn't get to a point where a change makes the show look like TPTB putting something together with bare-minimum effort.  I image they'll adapt which is what contestants have to do or they're out of the game.  Maybe they will; maybe they will not.  Hopefully the latter isn't the case since there's never been a (network) TV show that lived on forever taking the cheap & easy road

I wouldn't want Jeff to go anywhere.  Even though he can be annoying in a lot of ways, it really wouldn't be the same without him.  I've watched Dancing with the Stars since season 1, and when they axed Tom Bergeron after 28 seasons it just hasn't been the same.  And I cringe to think of who Jeff's replacement would be.  If he wanted to leave it'd be one thing I guess, but the show would lose a piece of its soul.

I don't care entirely for the new era, but it is what it is for now.  I know from watching Survivor since season 1, things won't stay the same forever.  I have a feeling that, since S50 is supposed to be a returning player season (of old and new era players), that will usher in another the next new era of the show.  Survivor may be the same game but when things weren't working or working too well they changed it up.  Some of it was minor, some of it was game changing.  We've also seen the pace of the game and what matters to jurors change.  Jeff mostly likes to keep players on their toes, so that's why I feel this era of the new era is probably going to fade when the returning player season happens.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I wouldn't want Jeff to go anywhere.  Even though he can be annoying in a lot of ways, it really wouldn't be the same without him.  I've watched Dancing with the Stars since season 1, and when they axed Tom Bergeron after 28 seasons it just hasn't been the same.  And I cringe to think of who Jeff's replacement would be.  If he wanted to leave it'd be one thing I guess, but the show would lose a piece of its soul.

I don't care entirely for the new era, but it is what it is for now.  I know from watching Survivor since season 1, things won't stay the same forever.  I have a feeling that, since S50 is supposed to be a returning player season (of old and new era players), that will usher in another the next new era of the show.  Survivor may be the same game but when things weren't working or working too well they changed it up.  Some of it was minor, some of it was game changing.  We've also seen the pace of the game and what matters to jurors change.  Jeff mostly likes to keep players on their toes, so that's why I feel this era of the new era is probably going to fade when the returning player season happens.

Or they could lucky like with the Bachelor franchise.   Jesse has been a great replacement.  

• Like 1