Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

Ryan is a curveball. Not only did I half-forget about him by the finale, I'd've thought Noelle would be the clear choice for Most Inspirational Cast Member.  I guess one sees the world differently though the bangs of a giant two-tone wig.

• LOL 6
9 hours ago, PhoneCop said:

Ryan is a curveball. Not only did I half-forget about him by the finale, I'd've thought Noelle would be the clear choice for Most Inspirational Cast Member.  I guess one sees the world differently though the bangs of a giant two-tone wig.

Her money, her choice.  Sia isn’t obliged to give a penny and can choose anyone she wants to…she’s been very generous with her own money…according to the article it’s something like $800,000 so far.   Considering this show must make the network millions…

• Like 3
5 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Her money, her choice.  Sia isn’t obliged to give a penny and can choose anyone she wants to…she’s been very generous with her own money…according to the article it’s something like $800,000 so far.   Considering this show must make the network millions…

Oh yeah, I get that.  I do wonder if she ever hears about some of her award recipients after the fact and second guesses giving them the money.  Ryan just seemed like a surprising choice since it was Noelle that was the face of inspiration this season.  I think Probst foams at the mouth when he has moments like that when he can hear himself talk more about how tough the situation is for said contestant, but they keep struggling through.  Because, of course, that’s what Survivor is all about!

I was thinking about it last night because when Sprint stopped sponsoring the fan favorite award they just quit doing it.  Now they have Sia to do it for them, even if she gets to pick.  So the show gets out of awarding more money and can still brag about a big named star generously donating her money to certain contestants.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yes, and we can question why and try to understand her inscrutable thinking process.

Without a doubt.  I just thought the original comment seemed critical not questioning.  

1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

Oh yeah, I get that.  I do wonder if she ever hears about some of her award recipients after the fact and second guesses giving them the money.  Ryan just seemed like a surprising choice since it was Noelle that was the face of inspiration this season.  I think Probst foams at the mouth when he has moments like that when he can hear himself talk more about how tough the situation is for said contestant, but they keep struggling through.  Because, of course, that’s what Survivor is all about!

I was thinking about it last night because when Sprint stopped sponsoring the fan favorite award they just quit doing it.  Now they have Sia to do it for them, even if she gets to pick.  So the show gets out of awarding more money and can still brag about a big named star generously donating her money to certain contestants.  

I wonder how long she will do this.   I think she is doing a lovely thing, but sometimes it feels like her generosity is taking advantage or make just taken for granted.  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Ryan just seemed like a surprising choice since it was Noelle that was the face of inspiration this season.

I read somewhere on Reddit that Noelle suggested to Sia that Ryan should get the "prize" and not her.  So Noelle may have been Sia's first choice, but she turned it down.

And that makes sense for a couple reasons.  Ryan's apparently a blue-collar guy, so he could use the money more than a (semi-?)pro athlete like Noelle.  Plus Noelle might lose sponsorship deals if she accepted a donation like Sia's.

• Like 1
  • Useful 5

I wish at least one juror would just flat out admit that they liked Gabler more than Cassidy. Because the reasons cited for not voting for Cassidy (Gabler beating Jesse in fire, the Ellie boot)? Were not nearly as much done by Gabler as they’re claiming. Cassidy put Gabler in fire, and I’m sorry, but fire is not a move. Even if it was, Gabler had no agency in being put in fire. The Ellie boot? Wasn’t that more facilitated by Sami more than anyone, plus, Gabler had no risk there since he was already immune that tribal council. The best they could come up with a move was from pre-jury?

I think it’s perfectly valid for jurors to vote for someone based solely on relationships/likability, but why they can’t just say that as their primary reason? 

• Like 10
3 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

I wish at least one juror would just flat out admit that they liked Gabler more than Cassidy. 

I think it’s perfectly valid for jurors to vote for someone based solely on relationships/likability, but why they can’t just say that as their primary reason? 

This so much. Every season, they wanna make themselves seem more like intellectual or something. It's ridiculous.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I'm sure they've drank the Peachy-flavored Kool-Aid.   I'm sure his pontificating about what the show is and how it should be played is not limited to what we see on TV   I can imagine being on the island with Probst is kind of like being in Room 101 in 1984.

• Like 3

I thought I had heard something about Woo stealing food from production (in his defense, there've been several stories over the years of contestants finding the production camp and stealing items from it before they were caught).  Stealing the meds from Trish blows my mind, though.  This is why I miss old school FTC.  Even though a lot of was apparently left out, there was definitely more bitterness than there is with today's model.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

And when you follow along with that thread, she confirms that she doesn't know any of this stuff firsthand, but is only repeating what she heard.  Whatever.

Right! I was like wow and then I read that the 'meds' he stole was a prescription mouthwash. Like, not exactly the crime of the century lol.

16 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I thought I had heard something about Woo stealing food from production (in his defense, there've been several stories over the years of contestants finding the production camp and stealing items from it before they were caught).  Stealing the meds from Trish blows my mind, though.  This is why I miss old school FTC.  Even though a lot of was apparently left out, there was definitely more bitterness than there is with today's model.

There's an awesome "Ask me Anything" that Tony Vlachos did for Reddit.  He had another take.

By the way, the AMA is really freaking entertaining.  I was laughing at it last night.

Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 1.06.40 PM.png

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
On 1/2/2023 at 9:00 AM, peachmangosteen said:

Right! I was like wow and then I read that the 'meds' he stole was a prescription mouthwash. Like, not exactly the crime of the century lol.

True, but medicated mouthwash usually means gum disease which left untreated can mean losing all your teeth. In any case he was stealing her stuff. Woo does sound like a weasel.  

I don't mind Cass letting that story out, but I do mind her bossy directive to us to, "Put it to bed."  Zero chance of me ever liking her.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I guess that could work, but it would change the structure of the entire game. There might not be a tribal phase at all since the only point of having tribes is for them to compete against other tribes. So just everyone together from the start and the only immunity being HIIs, maybe? I think the challenges themselves have become repetitive, but their existence adds an unpredictability to the game and can be a factor in revealing and/or disrupting alliances. Without them, the game becomes more straightforward, but I think also boring.

• Like 2

While sort of half watching, half listening to the AFC Championship game on Sunday, I suddenly became aware of Jeff's voice in an ad telling me that I would definitely want to watch this season of Survivor. I thought, "Maybe, Jeff. Maybe. But don't gabler gamble your life on it."

6 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

While sort of half watching, half listening to the AFC Championship game on Sunday, I suddenly became aware of Jeff's voice in an ad telling me that I would definitely want to watch this season of Survivor. I thought, "Maybe, Jeff. Maybe. But don't gabler gamble your life on it."

Ol'Probst actually seems excited for this season.  Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing, since this is the guy who told the S30 cast (while filming was going on) that he wanted them all to return and play again one day because of how great the season was going.

Some highlights from the cast bios: I actually saw people say that they either identify or want to play like Erika.  Jaime-Lynn also identifies with Angelina, and Caroline says she's most like Noura from a personality stand point (she also mentioned wanting to play like Maryanne). 

And as for what best prepared Frannie for this game:

What's one life experience you feel has prepared you for the game? I worked at an intense, high-traffic nail salon for five years, where I had to balance the needs of customers with those of 20 Vietnamese women, many twice my age and with ranging language barriers. I had to navigate very different perspectives to keep everyone happy, sometimes with grown adults literally screaming in my face about their nails.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • LOL 1
Just now, LadyChatts said:

Some highlights from the cast bios: I actually saw people say that they either identify or want to play like Erika.  Jaime-Lynn also identifies with Angelina, and Caroline says she's most like Noura from a personality stand point (she also mentioned wanting to play Maryanne).

New favorite!

Some of the "3 words to describe you" choices include feral and zesty! (exclamation point is the contestant's, not mine). And unfortunately, at least three people included "loud" as one of their words 😬

7 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

New favorite!

Some of the "3 words to describe you" choices include feral and zesty! (exclamation point is the contestant's, not mine). And unfortunately, at least three people included "loud" as one of their words 😬

Yeah, this cast seems like it leans very super-fan.  If so, I can understand why Probst liked it.  Doesn't mean I will lol 

Edited by LadyChatts
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Well Cassidy seems to be a fan

I'm going to assume she's genuinely happy to be replaced because she knows her season was edited like shit and she's ready for it to recede even further in people's minds than it already has. I choose to read "pls put our season to shame" as a call for justice.

@tracyscott76 oh yeah, I'm sure she and the rest of the S43 cast are ready to move on.  I don't think any of them anticipated how controversial Gambler's win would be, especially since Cassidy had very little in terms of edit.  Plus, the stuff that came out over Karla and Jesse being bitter betties and allegedly poisoning the jury against Cassidy.  I will say that I'm loving the Cassidy/Owen friendship that came out of the season, but I don't know that the cast as a whole is super close.  The S43 cast reminds me of S41, where it seemed like some of the cast were close after, the others wanted nothing to do with each other.

I am curious if we get any snark from Cassidy this season over the gameplay and decisions vs her season.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I am curious if we get any snark from Cassidy this season over the gameplay and decisions vs her season. 

istockphoto-172929897-612x612.jpg

Here is the S44 cast explaining while they will win Survivor.  All but about 5 of them had some form of ‘social threat’, ‘physical threat’, ‘adaptable’, ‘relatable’ and  ‘I know the game’ in their answer.  Brandon had the longest answer.  

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-season-44-cast-why-they-will-win/?did=8187125-20230202&utm_campaign=ewk-tv_newsletter&utm_source=ewk&utm_medium=email&utm_content=020223&lctg=3a614854f47e1f88df38854140fa20e07429d4ee

And here are 3 minutes of the premiere (nothing spoilerish here in case anyone was wondering):

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-44-premiere-first-footage/

Edited by LadyChatts
4 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Here is the S44 cast explaining while they will win Survivor.  All but about 5 of them had some form of ‘social threat’, ‘physical threat’, ‘adaptable’, ‘relatable’ and  ‘I know the game’ in their answer.  Brandon had the longest answer.  

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-season-44-cast-why-they-will-win/?did=8187125-20230202&utm_campaign=ewk-tv_newsletter&utm_source=ewk&utm_medium=email&utm_content=020223&lctg=3a614854f47e1f88df38854140fa20e07429d4ee

And here are 3 minutes of the premiere (nothing spoilerish here in case anyone was wondering):

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-44-premiere-first-footage/

Jamie says she's going to win in part because she's a yogi (she will also build relationships!). She is still shaping up to be my fave this season.

I listened to the first episode of the podcast. I thought it was pretty interesting, it was more behind the scenes than specific to the episode, though he did have a short interview with the player who was medivacced. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, Valerie said:

I listened to the first episode of the podcast. I thought it was pretty interesting, it was more behind the scenes than specific to the episode, though he did have a short interview with the player who was medivacced. 

Same and same.  I haven't subscribed to it, though I may do so after the next episode.  Depends on how much I enjoy that one.

For anyone on the fence, it's not just Peachy hosting (though he does do a lot of the talking).  One of the other producers of the show (who worked her way up from the Dream Team) Brittany Krapper, and Emmy-nominated producer of other tv shows Jay Wolff co-host.  Jay's there for the fan perspective, with Brittany as a second BTS perspective.  And the show is supposed to be a BTS show, using the episode as a springboard. 

Other than the interview with Bruce, the main focus of the episode was about "Getting to Day 1".  As in, how the crew prepares for a season, from the moment the previous season is over until just before the new castaways first put their feet on the sand.  Which makes sense for both the season premiere and the podcast premiere.  Peachy talks a bit about his reading and YouTube viewing habits, and how he sees everything through a Survivor filter.  He also mentions that he'll occasionally call Elan Lee, one of the guys behind the game Exploding Kittens, to talk about game mechanics.  

There's a segment at the end where one of the other hosts reads a fan message about "Why Jeff Sucks".  And Peachy will either defend himself, or possibly agree with the assessment...or both.  (There's also a short preview episode of the podcast, and they include this segment in that.  That one was about whether Peachy would suck at playing Survivor himself, and he agreed with the fan's assessment that he would, but disagreed with the reasoning.  The fan thought Peachy would have BMF, but Peachy thought he'd be the guy voted out with a Pocket Idol.)

Next episode is supposed to be about idols and advantages.  That subject is going to be interesting.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

The headline for this Primetimer article is "Survivor Alum Hai Giang on What Season 44's First Boot Could Have Done Differently".

The answer? "Not anything, really." Thanks, Hai and Primetimer for this insightful analysis. I mean, I guess his answer is "she chose her allies incorrectly", but that's still not a very meaningful answer. It's not necessarily a bad interview, but the headline is rather misleading (a misleading headline?! I never!). Also, it seems clear from Hai and Joe Reid's comments about Jaime that either Maddy's post-show interviews hadn't come out yet when they did this, or they hadn't read them.

4 hours ago, fishcakes said:

This is a good interview with Sophie Clarke on sexism, strategy, and game twists.

https://www.primetimer.com/interviews/survivor-44-sophie-clarke-fake-idols

Yeah, much better than the Hai interview I linked earlier. The Owen one was good, too, but you can always count on Sophie for some good insight and snark.

Except she likes

Spoiler

Matthew

so that's a point off (no game spoilers, just didn't want to give away anything from the interview before someone read it)

If you listen to the podcast Probst hosts every week, this info probably isn't new, but here Jeff explains why the Tyler Perry idol wasn't a good idea in hindsight, and how some other celeb fans have made decisions about the game (it was Jimmy Fallon's idea for Rob and Sandra to sit in on the TC in IOTI in that secret booth).  I wish a celebrity fan would text Probst and tell him why the fire making challenge and an abundance of idols and advantages and producer planted fakes are a bad idea.  Maybe we'd actually get rid of them.

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-jeff-probst-tyler-perry-super-idol/

And I saw this mentioned in the episode thread, but Probst also makes it seem like they are going to change the sit out rule in the challenges going forward (S45 should start filming here in a few weeks so I wonder if we'll see a change from there):

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2023/jeff-probst-survivor-44-sit-out-rule/

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Like 3

So, Jeff will listen to celebrities, but ignore the shared ideas of legions of viewers/fans?  Okay then.  So, here's an idea-cast Tyler Perry and let him enact all of his ideas (I do appreciate Mike White's ideas as he did actually participate in Survivor).

• Like 5