Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

This?  I can't see how I'll be thinking anything positive of it.  Those last challenges can be endurance, which can ultimatemly come down to luck.  So the best

player in the game might lose because he/she lost their balance or (if they know about the twist ahead of time it might bring added pressure).  So a sure fire winner could get eliminate because of luck, and three of the worst players in the game could land in the final 3. 

This. What makes me nervous about it is I honestly feel like this changes the winner of a lot of seasons (my back-of-envelope calculations say about 40% of winners in final 3 seasons potentially change with this twist). Immunity is supposed to protect yourself and yourself only. Not make you King/Queen for a Day.

And of course Probst will love this new change. It bestows more power on challenge beasts, who he usually wants as winners. That's why I was questioning the timing of this happening after Culpepper lost.

2 hours ago, Daisy said:

MvGenX- 10-0-0 split (why i dunno)

Oh, snap. ;)

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Eolivet said:

This. What makes me nervous about it is I honestly feel like this changes the winner of a lot of seasons (my back-of-envelope calculations say about 40% of winners in final 3 seasons potentially change with this twist). Immunity is supposed to protect yourself and yourself only. Not make you King/Queen for a Day.

Oh, snap. ;)

hahhaaa

well theoretically. winning the final challenge DID make you King/Queen of the day. you always chose who you were bringing with you - (by voting the last person out). if i read it properly - this is basically setting up a "tied" scenario, automatically going into a fire challenge. 

15 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

And of course Probst will love this new change. It bestows more power on challenge beasts, who he usually wants as winners. That's why I was questioning the timing of this happening after Culpepper lost.

Oh, snap. ;)

I totally believe this came about because of Culpepper.  There's a long history of Culpepper type losers, but he was Probst's boy.  And what a great strategy he would have had picking Troy to go the final 3 with him, leaving Sarah and Tai to do fire.  They were friends!  That's all this is going to amount to.  Or, they are going to pick someone deemed totally beatable.  So will we get more goats or people doing nothing so they can at least guarantee a spot in the final 3?

And the thing about Brad is, there's still no guarantee he would have won.  Not everyone on the jury respected him or his game.  Sarah could have won in a fire tie breaker.  And Tai seemed well liked and to have respect of some of the jurors.  Debbie was always going to go with Brad because her infatuation was almost as bad as Probst's.  But Ozzy thought Tai was like himself.  He respected what he brought to the game and that appreciated more than just the strategic aspect of it.  So while I think Ozzy probably still would have voted for Brad, there's a chance he would have been a Tai vote.  But the others, who knows.  Tai could have squeaked out a victory.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Daisy said:

Terry's was the same, right? I think that's it. 
I do agree with that . however. let's even say had it been final 2 and Yul v. Ozzy - I do think it's still 1 vote difference. Yul did say he deliberately held back on some challenges. (and i could see that). (also. if it was final two. yul/becky think they can take out Ozzy, going with the idea that Yul is holding back, woila. 

Okay so let's look  at this again - and we can see if the Third person makes a difference or not. 

Terry's was the same except it didn't buy him a guaranteed final tribal like Yul's, so he still had to win immunity which he didn't.

My point was not at all that it would be Yul v Ozzy in a F2, far from it!  My point was that in any other season there would be no possibilty of Yul and Ozzy being in the finals together at all!  Yul votes out Ozzy the minute he loses immunity or Ozzy votes out Yul the minute his idol stops working.  There's a reason Malcolm doesn't make Final 3 in Philippines, for example...people are planning for the F3, and want to take out the threats before then.  That's why it's still, often, a winner and two goats.  If there's two very strong players at the end presumably someone has made a mistake or someone won crucial immunity.

It's very true that, as Oholibamah says, some seasons would be less close without F3 and some would be closer but possibly less satisfying (though never underestimate the power of the edit), and I don't mind the F3.  I'm just saying the F3 doesn't make for superstar VS superstar, it just changes the math of when superstar A votes out superstar B.

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, KimberStormer said:

I'm just saying the F3 doesn't make for superstar VS superstar, it just changes the math of when superstar A votes out superstar B.

To use vernacular from another thread: F3 vs F2 doesn't make for Fox vs Bear at FTC.  It changes when the two go against each other to see who is the Goatherd.

• Love 5

Jeff now says he wants to stay in Fuji "forever".

The previous two seasons, the brand new one in a few days, and the one eventually in the spring have all been filmed in Fuji already.

I realize that (according to Jeff) several of the previous locals are no longer viable (political unrest, weather patterns), but

The only thing that made this show not seem redundant IMO was at least switching to different locals.

Having the same "personalities" doing the same things now in the same local will just make this show "decay" even faster.

I'm going to get sick and tired of Fuji eventually.

• Love 3

I'm guessing a lot of it is cost.  The other Survivor series seem to travel around to various countries, so I don't know how big security issues are.  It's probably easier for them to just set up and be consistent.  That said, what I hate about the same locations is that we are destined to continue to have stupid themes because we can't just use the location as the title (let's see if they come up with another way to have a Brains/Beauty/Brawn season with a different name-and I'm betting we'll get another BvsW 3 that was like the first one, and FvsF 3, the same style challenges, the same style camps....but I still enjoy the show, despite hating so many of the changes that have come with it in the last few seasons.  So I'll take it.

I saw a tweet from Redmond that made it sound like they are filming in Fiji again next year, so I'm guessing we are there until the end.  Whenever that is (I'm still betting on 2020, unless CBS can't find anything better).

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

I'm guessing a lot of it is cost.  The other Survivor series seem to travel around to various countries, so I don't know how big security issues are.  It's probably easier for them to just set up and be consistent.  That said, what I hate about the same locations is that we are destined to continue to have stupid themes because we can't just use the location as the title (let's see if they come up with another way to have a Brains/Beauty/Brawn season with a different name-and I'm betting we'll get another BvsW 3 that was like the first one, and FvsF 3, the same style challenges, the same style camps....

...the same style cases of necrotizing fasciitis....

• Love 4

So one issue about reusing the same locale was mentioned by Zeke Smith during his interview with Rob Cesterino on his podcast.  Zeke had made a sortof 'fake idol' during S33 (millenial v. gen x) only intended to fool others into thinking he had one (it was essentially some sticks wrapped in a piece of burlap, which he planned to just briefly flash as 'something wrapped up like an idol').  He never used it, but had hidden it near the camp.  When he was on S34 (game changers), his initial camp was right near his S33 camp and Ozzy found it.  Ozzy showed it to Zeke, who explained what it was.  

Sooo....what if someone did in fact hide either a real or a better 'fake' idol during one season and then either themself or by telling another where it was, be able to find and use it?  

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

Sooo....what if someone did in fact hide either a real or a better 'fake' idol during one season and then either themself or by telling another where it was, be able to find and use it?  

The idols are different looking every season, aren't they?

They don't have any grumpy old (or, hot) Dads this time around. This cast skews very young. There isn't anything wrong with that but they cut back on the Senior Class. LOL!!! I can't hardly wait till the 27th. Right now, I'm making through the RHAP breakdowns with Rob & Josh.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Right now, I'm making through the RHAP breakdowns with Rob & Josh.

I haven't listened to any of the interviews or whatever other podcasts Rob has done for the following reason: I find it moot to learn every contestant really well only to see many of them leave before merge and forget about them totally. I mean, I would be interested to listen to these interviews after the merge for the remaining people who will make jury. For now I will just wait and see how they are portrayed in the game rather than what they consider themselves to be or what they want to accomplish. I mean, most of the times what they say they plan to do before the game and what they end up doing are tow different things, so why bother?

• Love 3

Here's Jeff's take on the contestants this year.  I love how Chrissy is the oldest person out there and is only in her early 40s.  Probst seemed to salivate at the Heroes tribe.  He loves Ashley, but thinks Katrina may struggle because of her personality.  I guess he hadn't heard what the other contestants were saying about Miss Ashley then.  I feel like Probst was going through the motions and trying to be enthused with this season.  Heard him calling a lot of people smart and super likable.  He seems to just love everyone this season.

Can I get in on the discussion of the new twist? I'm intrigued by it. I'll reserve judgment for now.

It absolutely will change the game. All twists do and some work better than others. But here's the thing - it's impossible to apply the twist to previous seasons because if the twist had been in place, the contestants would have played differently (at least after the first time a cast got surprised by it). We don't know if this cast knew about the twist before the game started, do we? If not, I think it's shitty to throw them into it blind because it necessarily changes your strategy. Cirie got hosed in Micronesia because of the surprise switch from F3 to F2. 

On the other hand, the more possibilities there are for final scenarios, the more contingencies each contestant has to have. It's tough. I think I like it!

• Love 1

Jeff Probst's five reasons to watch this season:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/19/survivor-jeff-probst-best-finish-ever/

1. The theme. 

2. Dr. Mike

3. The challenges

4. the last third of the season

5. The final tribal council

Sorry, Jeff. the theme is lame.  It is not exciting to see these people with different approaches to life interact you know why?  Because I am guessing they are not that different from each other and you just randomly decided they could be grouped into these lame categories.

Hmmm.. last time you hyped a contestant before the season was Zeke, who in my opinion failed to live up to it at all.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 3

Zeke failed to live up to the hype twice.  Yet Probst will no doubt try and make him happen again.

The theme is already irrelevant, no matter how many times the castaways are poked with a stick to talk about why being a healer/hero/hustler is better than being whatever tribe they aren't on.  And his reasoning for hustlers is the stupidest ever.  The theme will be even more irrelevant after the first swap, no matter how many times Probst says at TC "so being the only hero/hustler/healer on your new tribe, how different are you from them?"  I now have a reason to root against Dr. Mike.  The challenges, are they going to be the same old, same old?  Puzzle pieces buried in the sand, something retrieved from the water, balls used to knock down said puzzle pieces?  If he's hyping the challenges I'm hoping it's something new and different, or at least challenges we haven't seen for a long, long time.  The first IC I've seen in the promos was one of my favorites from Guatemala, and I don't like it's been used since (it looked like a little different set up, however).  And if the last third of the season is the part to watch, does the rest of the season suck?

As to his last point

Spoiler

I wonder if the theory floating around about it being a tie is true.

• Love 1

Jeff is Jeff. He has to hype the season somehow, folks. I kind of feel that no matter what he would say, people would be grumpy about it. Are the challenges getting repetitive? Yes. Hopefully they'll do something new with some of them.

The theme is dumb, and I don't care, just like I didn't care about it in MvGX and it ceased to matter after a certain point no matter how much Probst applied his pointy little stick of "speak in generational generalizations!" (Say that five times fast.)

Having looked through the cast... I have some decently high hopes. That could mean I'm going to be horribly disappointed, but there are a number of castaways who appear intelligent and somewhat humorous in their print interviews. Hopefully that translates to the screen. (If nothing else, in terms of eye candy, Cole Medders has a freaking 8 pack. Not a 6 pack. An actual 8 pack. And it's not a plastic He-Man chest. *boggles*)

I really enjoyed MvGx. It was the first full season of Survivor I'd watched in years. Having now recently gone back in the past 6 months or so and watched or rewatched 21 seasons, I don't think the most current seasons are really any worse than the first 20 seasons. We're just more jaded. Honestly, taking a few years off Survivor was probably the best thing I could have done to sustain my love for the show and I didn't even know it. It let me get over my issues with it (casting Brandon, casting Brandon again) and focus on other aspects.

• Love 3

I get that Probst has to hype.  In fact, I look forward to his pre-show hype and spin!  Especially when it comes to the theme.  He's always been a champion of the challenge team.  I can't remember the last season where he didn't somewhere give his approval to the job they do.  I'm still hoping for something different.  The international versions (that I've seen) have amazing challenges, and if Survivor is going to make Fiji its permanent home. maybe they can splurge financially, or get a better set up.  

I'm optimistic about this cast.  I have the people I like pre-show, the people who annoy me, and the people who I'm indifferent to.  I guess it will depend who ends up at the end, and whether this is a boring Pagong-style season where nothing exciting happens (and if there's too many advantages).  Jeff's all about big moves, which is probably what his third half of the season talk is about.  But big moves talk from Jeff doesn't always mean exciting big moves.  It probably means he's man crushes end up taking control of the game, or there's a rock draw, or some big idol play.  In addition to his hype of Dr. Mike mirroring that of Zeke, it reminds me of when he hyped WA and said that he told them mid-filming he wanted them to all come back some day.  I don't trust his judgement.  I know he's gotta give his take, but I am leary when he singles out just one contestant.  

I really enjoyed MvGx. It was the first full season of Survivor I'd watched in years. Having now recently gone back in the past 6 months or so and watched or rewatched 21 seasons, I don't think the most current seasons are really any worse than the first 20 seasons. We're just more jaded. Honestly, taking a few years off Survivor was probably the best thing I could have done to sustain my love for the show and I didn't even know it. It let me get over my issues with it (casting Brandon, casting Brandon again) and focus on other aspects.

I liked MvsGX when it got to the merge.  The first part of the season was kind of dull for me.  What I like about the early seasons vs the post HvsV seasons is the game still felt fresh.  People could still make good moves without idols, there weren't a million of them planted, there weren't advantages on top of idols, the challenges didn't seem too repetitive, and we got more footage than strategy, challenge, strategy, TC.  On the other hand, the pre HvsV era had it's snoozers (looking at you, Thailand).  And when I re-watched Borneo and Outback recently, some of the eps really dragged on.  I enjoyed them from an old school perspective, but I forgot just how much of the camp life they showed.  It reminded me of how other reality shows used to be in their early seasons.  They showed the contestants getting creative and trying to keep themselves entertained, and actually having to fend for themselves.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I know he's gotta give his take, but I am leary when he singles out just one contestant. 

If it makes you feel better, elsewhere he's listed I think eight (?) people to watch. I seem to remember them as Alan, Desi, Mike, Ryan, Patrick, Roark, Ali, and Chrissy, but I could be misremembering them.

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:51 AM, Twilight Man said:

Jeff now says he wants to stay in Fuji "forever".

I'm going to get sick and tired of Fuji eventually.

Since when has Survivor become all about the location?  To my knowledge, the premise of the show was never solely about where they "live" but more about the dynamics among the contestants.  I honestly don't care what continent they film on or whether it's China or the Philippines. I want to see the interactions, the plotting, the scheming. IOW, Outwit, Outlast and Outplay! Not Outdo the next location.

• Love 3

To me part of the charm of Survivor is the incorporation of local culture into challenges and rewards. Plus seeing a part of other countries. If you're going to film the rest of the series in one country, why not just stay in the U.S. and use the same set over and over again?

• Love 7

Heck! If it keeps Survivor on the air I'm all for Fiji 24/7. They haven't really used the culture of their locations as they have used their "stupid themes". That said, the themes are usually null after the 3 or 4 episodes anyway. All in all, it doesn't bother me too much. I've been watching since Day 1 and I will continue to do so.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Heck! If it keeps Survivor on the air I'm all for Fiji 24/7. They haven't really used the culture of their locations as they have used their "stupid themes". That said, the themes are usually null after the 3 or 4 episodes anyway. All in all, it doesn't bother me too much. I've been watching since Day 1 and I will continue to do so.

Personally, I like some scenic variety - but Fiji has phenomenal vistas to spare.  And you're correct there's very little in the way of true local culture incorporation into the series; usually just use of some local lingo for the initial Tribe names, and (sometimes) use of a local legend or story for the "Remember This?" maze/collection challenge.

45 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I'll continue to watch, too.  But I'm with those that like the scenic variety.  I know that they don't always incorporate the culture (but when they did, those seasons were usually among the best I thought).  And we'd no doubt still have stupid themes, whether it was Fiji, Cambodia, or Nicaragua (which I really disliked compared to Fiji).  I think some locales provide different hardships as well, especially depending what time of year it is.  But being in Fiji, we are definitely destined to continue the themes, repeated themes (since they can't come up with anything original-and H/H/H is just WA 2.0), and stupid stunts because they can't just fall back on the location as a name.  I fully expect to see another FvsF or BvsW (like the first one) and probably another AS season in the next few seasons. 

• Love 3

Some of the current castaways first impressions of each other.  Desiree thinks the men were all picked from muscle magazines, Jessica thought she might be viewed as a physical threat but doesn't think that now, Simone said Ryan always is looking around like everyone is judging them (probably not an unfair assessment), and several commented on Ashley not smiling or being friendly.  I don't expect her to make it far if she keeps that up.  Jessica and Devon annoyed me from this video, and I really hope (as of now anyway) that Devon is an early boot.  Ali might be a new Cirie/David.  I really like Desiree.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, LanceM said:

First look at the tribal council set. Atleast they are changing that every season 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/survivor-a-tour-season-35s-tribal-council-1042619?utm_source=twitter

From the above:

We spent quite a long time looking into this. Some of the iconography and motifs we wanted have a bit of an Indian flair to it, with a Fiji backdrop. We really had to find out what part of those things came here. What kind of era it was. What other things were going on at that time. What ships were happening, what sort of [sugar, referenced earlier] industry, just to make it as authentic as we could.

You mean what was happening with how those various Indian cultures came to Fiji as indentured servants for that very sugar industry?  How are you going to reference that, Probst?  

Is the following season, if you stay in Fiji, going to reference the 1987 and two 2000s coups d'état?  If you proceed further into modern history, might as well, Jeffy-poo....

• Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 2:24 PM, Nashville said:

Personally, I like some scenic variety - but Fiji has phenomenal vistas to spare.  And you're correct there's very little in the way of true local culture incorporation into the series; usually just use of some local lingo for the initial Tribe names, and (sometimes) use of a local legend or story for the "Remember This?" maze/collection challenge.

That's how it is now, but I've been rewatching old seasons and there is more. I just finished Gabon and they could see elephants and hippos every day. Plus there were trips to villages. Some seasons a local person comes out and teaches them how to fish and look for food. The Tocantins has a totally different landscape and as a viewer, I like seeing different environments and how the tribes have to deal with them.

• Love 5

I love Ryan even more after watching that.  I was on the fence about this season, but now I'm cautiously getting exciting that it might be a good one.

Or maybe it's just because Survivor is finally back, whether it ends up being a bad season or a good season.  I didn't care for Game Changers, so there's not big shoes to fill as far as I'm concerned.

That's how it is now, but I've been rewatching old seasons and there is more. I just finished Gabon and they could see elephants and hippos every day. Plus there were trips to villages. Some seasons a local person comes out and teaches them how to fish and look for food. The Tocantins has a totally different landscape and as a viewer, I like seeing different environments and how the tribes have to deal with them.

Totally agree.  I said in the Gabon thread that the scenery was stunning.  I enjoy land locked locations once in awhile, because it does provide different elements and challenge set ups.  Even different islands that have been used in other seasons can provide something different than Fiji can.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2
On 9/25/2017 at 8:11 AM, MsTree said:

Since when has Survivor become all about the location?  To my knowledge, the premise of the show was never solely about where they "live" but more about the dynamics among the contestants.  I honestly don't care what continent they film on or whether it's China or the Philippines. I want to see the interactions, the plotting, the scheming. IOW, Outwit, Outlast and Outplay! Not Outdo the next location.

I agree to a point, but still, different locales provide for different kind of challenges. For instance, I really enjoyed Guatemala for many reasons, but one of them was that it was a complete change from island/sea based challenges. And after that I enjoyed the going back to a seaside/island setting in Panama. Ideally, I'd like it if the show could alternate between land based and seaside based locations.

It also helped me remember each season individually, because the last theme-based kind of all blur together and I have no idea where they were filmed, whereas the previous ones had more of a individuality. Also, as LadyChatts said above, there used to be some way to incorporate local culture, whether through challenge winners visiting a village or school nearby, fishermen coming to camp to help them get food or any other setup. But that's probably just me. 

Edited by NutMeg
instead is not instance
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, NutMeg said:

I agree to a point, but still, different locales provide for different kind of challenges. For instance, I really enjoyed Guatemala for many reasons, but one of them was that it was a complete change from island/sea based challenges. And after that I enjoyed the going back to a seaside/island setting in Panama. Ideally, I'd like it if the show could alternate between land based and seaside based locations.

It also helped me remember each season individually, because the last theme-based kind of all blur together and I have no idea where they were filmed, whereas the previous ones had more of a individuality. Also, as LadyChatts said above, there used to be some way to incorporate local culture, whether through challenge winners visiting a village or school nearby, fishermen coming to camp to help them get food or any other setup. But that's probably just me. 

And I totally agree with what you're saying.  It just irks me when I hear people suggest they're done with the show (or threaten to not watch because it's boring) just because of a repeated location. I could understand if initially the location was a prime attraction, but for me at least, it was always about the game. I'm a die hard fan from Season 1 no matter where they play. Well, maybe not the Outback for the sake of the contestants (LOL).

• Love 4
21 hours ago, MsTree said:

there used to be some way to incorporate local culture, whether through challenge winners visiting a village or school nearby, fishermen coming to camp to help them get food or any other setup

You'd think with a semi-fixed location that it'd be easier to set things like these up.

• Love 1

I'm fine with Fiji Ever After.  It's not like there are 30 more seasons to come.  At least there's water and beauty.  And maybe it'll be a Survivor themed resort someday when the show wraps.   Though by then it will have probably need a good sanitizing.  Hopefully they've got porta potties or latrines now if they're re-using the same beach areas over and over.  

I'm more concerned about the fact they've had repeated instances of serious bacterial skin infections - necrotizing fasciitis, or something close to it - contracted by contestants living in these designated locations, yet they keep using the same locations.  At least move the camps around every now and then before somebody gets seriously ill.

• Love 3

Yeah, there were a multitude of nasty infections when they were in Cambodia for those two seasons. That place took the cake for medevacs. I don't recall anything too horrible since they've been in Fiji, but now I'm thinking about the "elimination"  issue mentioned above. Ew.

Edited by kassandra8286
  • Love 1
On 9/12/2017 at 0:01 PM, Nashville said:

I can understand the appeal of Fiji - especially to the Production crew, as they're not having to make do in tents out in the bush - but I can't deny I'd miss some variety in the locations and cultures.

Some of the variety we crave rests in the sameness of challenges and unsatisfying rewards, too.  They are filming almost back to back which means their crew has to be happy with being on location longer.   I think they have lost some key people along the way. 

Jeff mentioned that locals build the challenges in Fiji.  They used to travel with challenge designers and those guys would tweak and improve things during the build.  They were part of the planning and excited about creating their new ideas. 

Production's creature comforts have taken off the edge.   

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3

It seems to be what makes it easier and cheaper for TPTB, and what will provide the best locale for eye candy  (and probably less whining than in a harsher location).  I think Fiji is just the combination of it's cheap, plus it provides an island locale.  Which means more 20-somethings they can cast in their bikini and 6 pack ab bodies. 

Although Heidi and Jenna did strip down in the Amazon for peanut butter, so....

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

It seems to be what makes it easier and cheaper for TPTB, and what will provide the best locale for eye candy  (and probably less whining than in a harsher location).  I think Fiji is just the combination of it's cheap, plus it provides an island locale.  Which means more 20-somethings they can cast in their bikini and 6 pack ab bodies. 

Although Heidi and Jenna did strip down in the Amazon for peanut butter, so....

But I want people to die in the heat like they did in beauty vs brawn vs brains. Now, they are living in the lap of luxury in Fiji. LOL!!!!!!!

• Love 1