Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

Survivor Stars John Fincher and Parvati Shallow Are Engaged!http://people.com/tv/john-fincher-parvati-shallow-engaged-survivor-contestants/?xid=socialflow_twitter_peoplemag

John Fincher — of Survivor: Samoa, which aired in 2009 — and Parvati Shallow — who competed in Survivor: Cook Islands and later on Survivor: Fans vs Favorites (which she won) and Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains — are engaged, a CBS rep confirms to PEOPLE.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Which one was John? There seems to have been so many, and Samoa may as well have been titled The Season Of Russell. And I did not know Parvati initially tried out for TAR.

John was a young arrogant dude with a smart sounding job.  May have been literally been a rocket scientist.  He flipped to avoid rocks and was voted out almost instantly after that, I think?

The only reason he was well-known in the fan community before he started dating Parv was bc Probst famously called him a "poseur" in his cast assessment and he used to guest-pod on RHAP a lot. His gameplay on the show is a common sighting of the flipper being voted out the ep after he flips.

Personally, at the only Survivor fan thing i ever went to, he was the only Survivor out of about 8 Survivors there who hid from the fans. Nobody really cared bc they were all there to see Fishbach anyway.

I don't see how Will would be, but Taylor I can see.  He did steal food, after all. 

I'd rank it as Heroes: Adam (as much as I hate to), David, Ken, Hannah, Michaela

Villians: Taylor, Zeke (only because I doubt they'd seriously cast him as a hero), Jay (though he could go either way)

The rest weren't really memorable enough to be one or the other for me. 

Edited by LadyChatts

Whoever yells "F*** you Brad Culpepper" first is my pick to win.

http://parade.com/543889/joshwigler/survivor-game-changers/

Here is an interview Jeff gave, as well as the cast reactions on finding out that they were on a season titled "Game Changers" (I wonder if they realized that wasn't exactly the original idea).  In addition, GC was almost another fan voted season but CBS nixed the idea.

And here is the 'meet the cast' video

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, LanceM said:

Jeff Probst defends the Game Changers casting, more specifically Hali (his dark horse to win) and Caleb (who almost "died" competing in a challenge). Strangely enough doesn't mention Sierra.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/02/13/survivor-game-changers-jeff-probst-casting/

I guess even he can't waste the energy on that one.

I get that this is just a theme that is ultimately going to mean nothing in the end with how the season goes (aside from us poor viewers having to hear about it 40 times an episode).  But it's hard to get behind when he cheerfully says that game changers can be people that made no moves, because it did change the game.  Which, okay, I get it.  But really?  I'd rather see people who actually did stuff that did alter the course of their respective season.  Sierra sticking with the blue collars even though they were complete assholes just for the sake of loyalty is not a game changer, even if it might have very well led to Mike winning when he otherwise might have been booted.  So did her not flipping change the game?  I guess, and it gave Mike the million, but nothing to brag about.  I also love how Probst acts like this is a theme that came to them and has been in the works for awhile, when in reality it wasn't originally what they wanted to go with.   

Probst makes it sound like a love story with Caleb nearly "dying for the game".  His body was just reacting in what was probably a normal fashion for the conditions he was under.  Cydney was on the sidelines struggling in that challenge, too, Probst.  Mike Skupin's medevac was more of a game changing moment in Outback than Caleb's was for his tribe and season.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 5

I'm enjoying those deep dive podcasts. There's no way I could do the 2 hour Tony one or a few of the others...Troyzan, etc. But, I like getting a refresh on how things went down on a player's past season(s), and really getting into how these people operate (and what they will need to change).

It is interesting to hear a fan perspective on the play & their game. These are true fans who have rewatched their seasons. I'm a huge fan & have watched every season but I don't think I could articulate it as well as these guest podcasters. I appreciate the hard work they are doing and I also appreciate that Rob is really delving into it. I'm going practically insane waiting till March 8th. I'm reading every interview that he, Josh Wigler, Dalton Ross & Gordon Holmes are putting out. It's helping me get through the month but this March debut is killing me. 

• Love 1

I'll have to give those a listen (well, some of them-though I'm intrigued what a fan of Brad Culpepper has to say).  Has he ever done fan podcasts like this before a season?  I know a lot of time he just uses former castaways, but since it's a returning player season, maybe he figures they'll give away any spoilers that they know.

ByaNose, I hear ya.  First I don't have American Idol this winter, and TAR keeps getting jerked around the schedule (though that's no surprise anymore), but it hasn't felt like February without Survivor.  Nothing is right in my TV viewing world where reality TV is concerned.  Though I'm still thinking there's a 50% chance this season will tank, at least I can laugh about it here with the rest of you.  And I'll watch, regardless of how terrible it might be.

• Love 1
On 2/8/2017 at 5:53 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Cast pic:

0UXfvF7.png

Ha, I could not figure out who the hell the guy in the blue shirt was, JT looks so different! Also took me a sec to recognize Michaela without the huge bun of hair piled on top of her head. 

• Love 3
On 2/20/2017 at 9:32 AM, rose711 said:

FYI: Rob has a podcast has been doing a show on each of the season 34 contestants. He has guest commentators who are fans of the players review their career.

The one to watch out for especially if you arent already is the Sandra one. Paul from The Tribe podcast is doing that one. I dont like The Tribe but Paul has an encyclepedic knowledge of Survivor and is a big Sandra fan so should be a perfect correspondant for her.

• Love 2

Dalton Ross is posting the players' pre-game choices for first boot on his Instagram.

I haven't looked at them all yet, but Debbie's is really gross and uncalled for and reminded me that Debbie kinda sucks. And Caleb's is stupid, of course, but in his defense he's since apologized about his idiotic Sandra comments.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Dalton Ross is posting the players' pre-game choices for first boot on his Instagram.

I haven't looked at them all yet, but Debbie's is really gross and uncalled for and reminded me that Debbie kinda sucks. And Caleb's is stupid, of course, but in his defense he's since apologized about his idiotic Sandra comments.

Sierra's was kind of dumb.  I got a kick out of Caleb's, mainly because of the facial expression and the fact that he's dissing a two time winner.  Debbie's way too much of a try hard.  I hope she's gone early.  I love Zeke's (JT: Too Dreamy).

• Love 1
13 hours ago, enlightenedbum said:

I skipped that season but Debbie clearly sucks.  And not just because Andrea's the best.

Exactly.

14 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I love Zeke's (JT: Too Dreamy).

I liked Zeke's, too. I have always gone back and forth on Zeke, but I'm hoping he'll be the Zeke I like throughout this season. I picked him for my fantasy team for some inexplicable reason and I need him to do well!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Exactly.

I liked Zeke's, too. I have always gone back and forth on Zeke, but I'm hoping he'll be the Zeke I like throughout this season. I picked him for my fantasy team for some inexplicable reason and I need him to do well!

I'm with you on Zeke.  Ultimately, by the time he left, I was not a fan, and could only say 'good riddance'.  However, he seemed to be really reflective in his boot interviews, and there's a different vibe I'm getting from him here.  I wouldn't be overly surprised if he ends up not doing much of anything this season, and just takes a back seat to whatever alliance he gets into.

• Love 2

http://ew.com/tv/2017/02/24/survivor-jeff-probst-cirie-ozzy/

No limit as to how many times a contestant will be brought back, which makes me wonder if someone down the road will have 'Professional Survivor Contestant' as their occupation.  The thing is, he says people want to see Cirie win and that's why they bring her back.  And that the 4th/5th/6th/20th time might finally be it.  But really, I don't know if someone like Cirie can ever win this game at this point, unless luck got in their favor or they were cast with people from RI.

Andrea is indeed awesome from my experience. I once saw her at a viewing party. She was not expected there but not only did she show up and she arrived 2 hours before anyone else of note and just hanged and was chill. I was literally rubbing shoulders with her for a hr bc it was packed and I thought she was arguably the nicest person in the room.

Also, stunning in person.

• Love 9

Reading all the comments from Caleb about Sandra reminded me what an asshole he is. There is a reason people didn't want to see him after his time on Big Brother. I don't care if he apologized. He didn't say just one thing, and this isn't his first brush with being a dick. What did that dude do that changed the game? Hoping his ass is booted early. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

Reading all the comments from Caleb about Sandra reminded me what an asshole he is. There is a reason people didn't want to see him after his time on Big Brother. I don't care if he apologized. He didn't say just one thing, and this isn't his first brush with being a dick. What did that dude do that changed the game? Hoping his ass is booted early. 

Well... Caleb's BB season performance probably resulted in an entire rewrite of the network's contracts with reality show participants on penalties for sexual harassment.  That's something.  ;>

Edited by Nashville
Get bold!
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Well... Caleb's BB season performance probably resulted in an entire rewrite of the network's contracts with reality show participants on penalties for sexual harassment.  That's something.  ;>

Am I the only one who didn't find that Caleb was sexually harassing that chick in BB? She never said NO and she even invited him on a date!

1 hour ago, himela said:

Am I the only one who didn't find that Caleb was sexually harassing that chick in BB? She never said NO and she even invited him on a date!

Would I be correct in guessing you only saw the broadcast show?  Viewers of the feeds and/or BBAD got a slightly different picture of Caleb.

P.S.: This discussion probably needs to go to the Caleb-specific thread if it's to be continued further; it could get a mite windy.  :)

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Nashville said:

Would I be correct in guessing you only saw the broadcast show?  Viewers of the feeds and/or BBAD got a slightly different picture of Caleb.

P.S.: This discussion probably needs to go to the Caleb-specific thread if it's to be continued further; it could get a mite windy.  :)

Yes you are correct. I did only see the episodes on TV. What more did Caleb do?

10 hours ago, himela said:

Yes you are correct. I did only see the episodes on TV. What more did Caleb do?

Frankly, I don't have the energy to type that much.  Suffice it to say that Obsessive and Possessive both looked up up from the dictionary and said, "Dude, you really need to chill a mite...."

• Love 1

Good old Jeff didn't let me down!  He is a proponent of making moves, yet this cast is probably the worst example of move makers.

I think the cast would disagree about Sandra being underestimated, since she's one of the top 3 people everyone wants out.  Some of my other favorites:

Malcolm: "pretty good at challenges, but not great; pretty good strategically but not quite there."  Maybe holding back is his strategy. 

Michaela: the only thing he could say was she knows how to win challenges and needs to work on her social game?

Sierra: "she got to a point where she could make a move and started, and it got her to the final 5" (that makes no sense, Probst).  Believes she'll pick up where she left off.  And I don't remember Sierra being on the bottom when the swap happened.  If anything, the BC guys were initially a little worried about her flipping.

He really wants to make Zeke happen.  He was his biggest cheerleader last season, and Zeke crashed and burned.  He also seems a little more flattering of Sarah here than he was in the other video.  Really, this cast assessment was pretty much what I was expecting.  Probably one of his biggest stretches yet.  He sure used a lot of 'put that last piece there' and 'not close'.