Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Closure

• Start Topic

Rosalind going down was sadly predictable. Got to give the devil his due though, Ward was rightly proud of that shot. It looked to be about 1200 yds and it's not like she was right next to the window.

Was it me or did Coulson ramp up to 11 awful fast? I know he liked her but this just started. Ah well, looks like they get to settle their beef on an alien planet.

• Love 2

Rosalind going down was sadly predictable. Got to give the devil his due though, Ward was rightly proud of that shot. It looked to be about 1200 yds and it's not like she was right next to the window.

Was it me or did Coulson ramp up to 11 awful fast? I know he liked her but this just started. Ah well, looks like they get to settle their beef on an alien planet.

He lost his burger buddy, Coulson gets to be insanely mad.

• Love 8

Come on, show.  Roz was a good character who didn’t deserve to be fridged by Ward in the first five minutes.  And Banks too?

I thought the exposition was a little thick in places, but I liked the action scenes in this ep – the opening, the jewelry store kidnapping.  I didn’t anticipate Coulson’s skydive to the other side.

I had assumed up to this point that Ward’s little brother was dead.

I can feel the cliffhanger looming next week.

• Love 3

Killing Roz just when we are starting to like her?! Damn you, Whedons!!!

Ward had better be dead in the MSF. I'm 1000 percent done with this. If waiting for Ward to die is going to be like waiting for the dragons to come to Westeros, I'm quitting the show right here and now.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 5

I didn't realize this was part 1 of a 2 part "winter finale", so I can give them another week to off Ward before I give up on this show.  He was at peak smarm levels tonight, to the point that I contemplated muting him when he was on screen. 

Lots of set up, not much substance.  Bleh.

• Love 2

FRIGGIN' WARD.  That man needs to die in the most trifling way possible, yesterday.

The rest of this episode was really good -- Coulson losing it, Mack taking charge, Daisy's team finally assembling -- but I am never not gonna be mad about Ros.

And Fitz and Simmons better both be OK or I am gonna riot.

• Love 4

I predicted that Rosalind was going to die, just not so sudden at the start of an episode. I feel really bad for Coulson, but hopefully he'll get to take it out on Ward. Though I'm still hoping that Fitz gets the altermate kill.

I knew that they were going to kidnap Fitz and Simmons. But I wonder how dumb they are going to feel when they realize that all Fitz did was use rope and that he really doesn't know how to get back. I imagine that he's plan is to trap them all there, and at some point they will realize that he doesn't know how to get them back lol. Will assuming he is really just a human, will know who Fitz is.

I love the idea of Mack being encharge temperarly since he is the only one who doesn't hate Ward. And I like the inhuman team going out to help.

• Love 1

Roz dying was predictable, CZ does have another show she's a regular on.

Coulson's always been a terrible leader, this just proves it even more. He's a second banana guy not a Director. 

And people complained about Will having to save Jemma, now Fitz does while she stands around with her hands tied behind her back. Jemma sure lost a storylilne about her to a man quickly. I was still holding out hope for a surprise from her but nope, this is all Fitz's story now so he can save her. 

Somebody better kill Ward next week. I think he's become more of a special snowflake than Daisy. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

Man, going from the fun of The Flash tonight to the opening scene of SHIELD was an extreme mood whiplash.

Die Ward die.  And that line by Daisy about Ward feeling too much was just all kinds of wrong.  There better be no redemption for that piece of crap.

Loved Brother Ward saying "Just because you grow up in a family of abusive monsters doesn't mean you have to become one."

• Love 9

I predicted that Rosalind was going to die, just not so sudden at the start of an episode. I feel really bad for Coulson, but hopefully he'll get to take it out on Ward. Though I'm still hoping that Fitz gets the altermate kill.

I knew that they were going to kidnap Fitz and Simmons. But I wonder how dumb they are going to feel when they realize that all Fitz did was use rope and that he really doesn't know how to get back. I imagine that he's plan is to trap them all there, and at some point they will realize that he doesn't know how to get them back lol. Will assuming he is really just a human, will know who Fitz is.

I love the idea of Mack being encharge temperarly since he is the only one who doesn't hate Ward. And I like the inhuman team going out to help.

He needs and eye patch and a leather duster though

• Love 2

The dialogue tonight really played toward Will being the monster.

The only alternative I can see is its a misdirect and Ward will become the creature. But they've done so much character development with Ward that I can't see them turning him into something completely new, possessed by this thing.

Either way, the writing is on the wall for him. Either he dies, gets possessed/transformed, or gets stranded until the writers have more usefulness for him.

• Love 2

Rosalind is killed off for Coulson's manpain, terrific.  Not that he doesn't have a reason to be angry at Ward and want revenge but Angry and Sanctimonious Coulson is annoying as hell and seems to bring out the stupid in him.  I've always maintained that Coulson is a terrible Director and this reaffirms that.

Still, I really enjoyed this episode and they've set it up nicely for an epic conclusion with the expedition to the alien world and the attack on the Hydra base.

Using Grant's younger brother as bait was a good idea.  I seem to recall Ward telling Koenig during his interrogation that he also had a sister.

• Love 5

Coulson at least had the sense to put the only emotionally uncompromised person in command before he skipped out.  Coulson has always taken things to heart.  I think he is so ready for Ward to be dead, for all his crimes, that he is compelled to achieve that or die trying. ae2, you outlined Ward's potential fates perfectly.  I'm leaning toward possessed - it'd better not be Fitz.

I agree with the commenters that said Jemma's been shunted aside.  She needs to have agency again because she is a good character in her own right.  And Gideon's casual sexism toward her rankled.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by MisterGlass
  • Love 1

Well, I didn't see Rosalind dying within, the literal first couple of minutes of this show, and I can see Coulson going off like that, but I didn't understand why he wanted to do the interviews. Also, didn't see Coulson jumping from a plane nor Ward actually worried about his younger brother. 

Edited by TVSpectator

I totally did not see Coulson ending up with them on the other side. I thought maybe we'd get some parallels to Ward's and Fitz's grand adventure from first season next week, but not with Coulson.

I hate Ward. I can't even love to hate him. Koenig, Roz, Bobbie, FitzSimmons, his wake of terror is vast. He's destroyed lives all for the sake of his own brand of justice. Ugh, the Whedons need to let go and make whatever this endgame with Ward done and over with.

Loved Mac as the Director. Loved the momentary return of Fitz's stutter. I figured Fitz would be the one to cave, but in impressed with how long he held out. And I'm super impressed with Jemma and her ability to hold out as well, especially being the main victim of Ward's abuse.

Wish Coulson had sent a Koenig to help out Mac back at base. I know emtionally Coulson wasn't there because of Roz, but it would have been very Coulson-y to do so.

Can't wait until next week to see how it all goes down.

• Love 3

This episode should've been titled "Manpain" not Closure because that really what is was about. Ward's manpain, Coulson's manpain and Fitz's manpain. 

The women better get some agency next week or this show went downhill quickly for me. Taking Jemma's storyline and giving it to Fitz prove his love or some BS like that makes me ship them even less than I did before. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 10

Half the fun for me is following spoilers and speculating. Sometimes though I end up predicting everything right so I wasn't surprised by anything. I hope they surprise me next week although I doubt it. Will will be the Inhuman rescued by Fitz and Coulson. Ward can rot on the planet hehe.

The women gets plenty of action on the show, I'm glad to see the gents get theirs. Next week the guys are on the planet and the women will be trying to get them back. 

• Love 2

It drives me crazy that the team has an agent that can...you know,  kill you with her quake power....and another member that can generate electricity...and Coulson brings...Hunter.  

Ward needs to definitely die. 

Hunter's a killer, Daisy and Lincoln aren't.

• Love 6

Hunter's a killer, Daisy and Lincoln aren't.

Daisy had no problem putting 4-5 slugs in him BEFORE he killed Roz.  I am not saying Hunter is useless, he's a great Agent.  I just think it's silly to go up against a huge thorn like Ward and NOT bring your 2 Inhumans.  

• Love 4

Does anyone wonder what is It and if they are going to take something from the comics? I really do hope that they use source material from the comics (and maybe add some of the little bit more weird stuff in, like having the Entities- who are not aliens but the literal embodiment of what they represent- come on the show) because I find half the fun of watching this show is seeing stuff from the comics and seeing how they tie into the stuff solely from the show, into a coherent story. I also like seeing stuff from the movies being tied into this show as well. 

• Love 3

Daisy had no problem putting 4-5 slugs in him BEFORE he killed Roz. I am not saying Hunter is useless, he's a great Agent. I just think it's silly to go up against a huge thorn like Ward and NOT bring your 2 Inhumans.

I'm guessing the reason why they didn't do that was to prevent Daisy and Lincoln ending up in the deep freeze by Hydra. They've still got Lash who we definitely know has no love for Lincoln.

Edited by missbonnie
  • Love 1

Ugh, too much wallowing in manpain in this episode.  I was not expecting Ros to die in the opening scene of this episode.  What a waste!  I haven't been one to complain about Ward's presence on the show, but I'm pretty ticked at him for wasting Comstance Zimmer right now!  But angry Coulson was nearly as annoying as Ward whining over Kara's death yet again. 

Add me to the list of people who are annoyed that Jemma's storyline has been highjacked by boys.  Come on show, you're better than this!  AoS has had a lot of problems in its run, but this usually isn't one of them.  They're usually pretty good about giving their female characters stories of their own.

But I wonder how dumb they are going to feel when they realize that all Fitz did was use rope and that he really doesn't know how to get back. 

Well presumably Jemma already explained how the portal moves to Fitz, which he's in turn already communicated to Hydra.  Malick told Ward to meet at a specific set of coordinates in 12 hours, which implied that they know (or think they know) where the portal will open up at that time.  That's knowledge that must have come from Fitz since Simmons won't talk.  

Edited by xqueenfrostine
  • Love 1

Daisy had no problem putting 4-5 slugs in him BEFORE he killed Roz.  I am not saying Hunter is useless, he's a great Agent.  I just think it's silly to go up against a huge thorn like Ward and NOT bring your 2 Inhumans.  

And she killed 10-12 Hydra mooks in 2.19 without blinking

If they don't kill Ward this season I think i'm going to be done w/ this show.  This is just getting ridiculous at this point.  I mean seriously...I would have loved it if Coulson would have just made the kill shot from the air and taken Ward out as he jumped into the Monolith portal.  Hell...bring Daisy, have her earthquake the room and knock everyone off their feet then take out each Hydra goon and save Fitz and Simmons.

Word to the poster upthread who said Ward is becoming a "special snowflake" like Daisy at this point.  

Seeking of Daisy, I loved how she felt she need to rush to Coulson's side after Roz's death...I couldn't roll my eyes hard enough at that.  Of course, who did we have to go to for the most intel on Ward...but his one true lady love...Sky..er Daisy.

Edited by CMH1981

They will never kill Ward. I will be very surprised if he isn't left stranded on the other planet, presumably to die of insanity or as a victim of the mysterious beast. In actuality, Ward will be in plot stasis awaiting writer revival and improbable escape back to Earth when they need an injection of annoying eeeevil.

• Love 6

Sorry, Coulson, but can Mack just take over as the Director of SHIELD, now?  His pep talk to Lincoln and Joey was a bit on the "tough coach" side of things, but more enjoyable then Coulson's normal "We're doing this, because fuck you, I said so!" approach to motivating the troops.  Plus, he gets access to the axe.  The shotgun-axe isn't going to make itself!

I suspected Rosalind was going to die due to all the previews showing Coulson flip out, but it was still disappointing.  Basically Ward getting his "revenge", because he's a psycho.  Nothing to see here.  And they even had to kill off Banks too, so basically they just wiped away all the big ATCU characters.  Stupid Wo Fat (sorry, he will always be Wo Fat to me.)

Simmons and Fitz get captured, and now Fitz is going to the planet with Ward, because he couldn't stand hearing her get tortured.  Kind of annoyed that Simmons is taking a backseat again, but as usual, Ian De Caestecker and Elizabeth Henstridge sold the hell out of their scenes.

If ABC ever does go through with the spin-off, I can totally see their time with Coulson being a good reason for both Hunter and Bobbi to be like "Yeah, sorry guys, but we would like a transfer, please!"

Ward continues to be an asshole, and probably should die, but I suspect that this is somehow going to end with him getting the upper-hand over Gideon, and sticking around for longer.

• Love 2

Sorry, Coulson, but can Mack just take over as the Director of SHIELD, now?  His pep talk to Lincoln and Joey was a bit on the "tough coach" side of things, but more enjoyable then Coulson's normal "We're doing this, because fuck you, I said so!" approach to motivating the troops.  Plus, he gets access to the axe.  The shotgun-axe isn't going to make itself!

I suspected Rosalind was going to die due to all the previews showing Coulson flip out, but it was still disappointing.  Basically Ward getting his "revenge", because he's a psycho.  Nothing to see here.  And they even had to kill off Banks too, so basically they just wiped away all the big ATCU characters.  Stupid Wo Fat (sorry, he will always be Wo Fat to me.)

Simmons and Fitz get captured, and now Fitz is going to the planet with Ward, because he couldn't stand hearing her get tortured.  Kind of annoyed that Simmons is taking a backseat again, but as usual, Ian De Caestecker and Elizabeth Henstridge sold the hell out of their scenes.

If ABC ever does go through with the spin-off, I can totally see their time with Coulson being a good reason for both Hunter and Bobbi to be like "Yeah, sorry guys, but we would like a transfer, please!"

Ward continues to be an asshole, and probably should die, but I suspect that this is somehow going to end with him getting the upper-hand over Gideon, and sticking around for longer.

The actor is like CZ is on another show  and his is filming at the same time as this - he is playing a Russian heavy on Agent X

The show didn't actually stick Rosalind in a refrigerator. That's gotta be a positive, yes?

Yeah, watching Coulson go from zero to vengeful did leave a bad taste in my mouth. And Ward's comeuppance has to be friggin' epic. With our luck, Steve Rogers will slum it up to shield-slap Ward in the run-up to Civil War.

Anybody else think of the Tenth Doctor crashing in "The End Of Time" while watching Coulson head for the portal? I can't be the only one.

• Love 4

Mack is awesome all of the time.

I couldn't care less about Coulson's need for vengeance over Ros getting killed. I didn't really buy it. Maybe if Ward had keyed Lola...It's terrible but I actually thought wow nice long range shot Ward.

Edited by miracole
  • Love 4

This episode should've been titled "Manpain" not Closure because that really what is was about. Ward's manpain, Coulson's manpain and Fitz's manpain. 

The women better get some agency next week or this show went downhill quickly for me. Taking Jemma's storyline and giving it to Fitz prove his love or some BS like that makes me ship them even less than I did before. 

You took the word right out of my mouth.

Ward has gone from annoying to boring and repetitive.  Oh look, another father figure has conned Ward.  People complain about Jemma having no agency, but Ward doesn't either.  Anytime a new daddy comes along, Ward falls in line.  And Ward kills because he feels too much?  GMAFB.  Surely there must be a high profile shrink in the Marvel canon that can come deal with this emotionally fucked up mess and let SHIELD deal with, you know, aliens, mutants and the like.

How the hell did Coulson end up on the plant?  We saw him diving toward toward the portal (and that chamber is open to the sky how/why exactly?  Wasn't it in a basement?) and then we see the portal close.  I was expected Coulson to splat like Wile E. Coyote (Google it, kids) but he makes it through.

• Love 1

How the hell did Coulson end up on the plant?  We saw him diving toward toward the portal (and that chamber is open to the sky how/why exactly?  Wasn't it in a basement?) and then we see the portal close.  I was expected Coulson to splat like Wile E. Coyote (Google it, kids) but he makes it through.

The scene showed Coulson going through the portal, just really really fast.

Talking about agency but then reducing a male character's emotions to 'manpain' kind of spoils the effectiveness of what you are trying to say (not you specifically; this is a more general comment).

And the reason Fitz is going through the portal is because Jemma is STRONGER then him. She held up under physical torture while Fitz did not hold up under mental torture.

• Love 9

Yikes. Roz got fridged. That's disappointing.

Fitz hearing Jemma's screams in the next room definitely reminded me of in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows when they're captured at Malfoy Manor and Ron's in the dungeon freaking out because of Hermione's screaming as she's being tortured by Bellatrix.

Director Mack! That was a great development and that he establishes the Secret Avengers. Also love the fist bump with Daisy.

I was wondering if they forgot about Ward's little brother that he pushed in a well.

Couslon jumping out of the quinjet like Captain America without a parachute was nice.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
Add me to the list of people who are annoyed that Jemma's storyline has been highjacked by boys.

I'm sorry you don't think that boys and girls can cooperate and share the burden back and forth and eventually achieve goals together. It's really not enlightened of you at all.

Coulson's pretty badass. That high dive could've ended with a broken everything.

• Love 4

I'm sorry you don't think that boys and girls can cooperate and share the burden back and forth and eventually achieve goals together. It's really not enlightened of you at all.

Oh come on.  If they were actually cooperating, it wouldn't be hijacking.  Instead Jemma just stood around with her arms tied up behind her back without attempting to do any sort of plotting to escape or strategize with Fitz on how best to strand Hydra and Mystery Villain on the Blue Planet while still getting to come home.

• Love 2

With any luck, Rosalind's death was a meta-message that they're not going to do any more of this ridiculous soap opera love story melodrama on this show. Office romances really are horribly overdone and out of place (IMO) on this show.

Wishful thinking, I know, but I'm going to hold on to that hope for another week.

I'm sorry they fridged Rosalind. I was enjoying her takeout date with Coulson until, well. Usually romance on this show is not done well, but I liked Coulson and Rosalind. I liked that they were dating even after all the lying and subterfuge.

I want Ward to die, like, yesterday, but I will say I like how they handled his brother. An abusive background is not an excuse for becoming an abuser or killer. Explanation, sure. Excuse, no. Also Malick, another father figure for Ward, yawn. I actually rolled my eyes when he was giving Ward the persuasive speech and Ward of course bought it.

You know it's bad when I'm fantasizing about Ward dying in all kinds of different ways. Like in that Supernatural episode when Dean kept dying. Piano falls on his head. Bad tacos. Stabbing by a thousand paperclips, perhaps. Ooh, getting eaten by a shark. Hit by a bus! GODDAMMIT WARD, JUST DIE ALREADY.

Loved Daisy and Mack's little fistbump. Their friendship is my favorite. And I also loved Lincoln and Joey's uncertainty at their mission. More of them in that capacity, please.

• Love 7

I believe it's easier to endure physical pain onself than to have to witness a person you love suffer. I'm pretty sure that if Jemma had to listen to Fitz being tortured, she'd react the same way. Still, Ward made his choice that way, because - I think - he had an axe to grind with Jemma for trying to kill him earlier... And he just loves messing with Fitz's sense of self-worth.

I know most of you hate Ward, but I still love to hate him :) He's still a good villain IMO. It's hard to find an equally personal foil to the team, unless somebody's long-lost realtive will pop up... Having said that, I'm pretty sure we haven't seen the last of Thomas. I want to believe he was really a good guy, but... you never know with this series.

Ros's loss would have touched me more if I 
a) knew more about her and
b) cared more for Coulson.

Funny how in a series that centers around Coulson, I couldn't care less for him. I started to care for Skye/Daisy, I love May, I adore Mack, i wouldn't like to live in a world without Simmons and Fitz... But I just don't care much for Coulson, his resurection, life, loves and losses. Heck, I felt more for Banks in this episode!

edited to add:

- the portal must have some momentum dampening abilities, because Coulson was seriously getting some speed when jumping down the hole and the impact on the other side should have killed him (unless the portal shoots the objects passing through 'up' and thus manages to dampen the total speed... which could be the point)

- the whole scene with Fitz and Simmons by the portal reminded me of Empire Strikes Back and Leia/Han goodbye. But this may be just my recent Star Wars rewatch talking.

Edited by Ariah
  • Love 4

Unnecessary exposition of the night courtesy of Bobbi: "Ermagerd, they're shooting at us! We can't stay here!" Yes Bobbi, you're absolutely correct. I hope the pilot of the plane gets that message.

I loved Lincoln rolling his eyes at Mack's speech, as if he knew it was cut and pasted from The Motivational Inspirations of Phil Coulson.

Fitz and Simmons disappointed me this episode. Leading them to where all the science gear is should lead to a similar result as locking the A-Team in a machine shop. Beyond Simmons trying to kick Malick in the nuts and Fitz struggling against his bonds I don't think they even tried to escape.

Let's have Coulson being all sad and mopey not because he loved Rosalind (he barely knew her after all) but because the part he feels the worst about is that he never got to enjoy that hamburger.

Malick gave Ward a hard time for trying have Coulson killed. However, I am sure that since Ward's operation was infiltrated the last time he is currently contracting out to Dial-A-Mook (now providing services to Homeland, The Blacklist and Blindspot! Call today, mooks are standing by! 1-800-HENCHMAN!) and while he appreciates that the price per mook is below market rates you ultimately get what you pay for.

I would have loved to see Fitz explaining to Ward how he brought Simmons back. "With a rope... you idiot."

• Love 2

Mack once again is awesome.  And I am very disappointed that Fitz has not yet made him the shotgun-axe.  I needs to see it, k?

Wo Fat was woefully underused here.  Having him levitate hammers and make intimidating faces is BS when you hire Mark D. 

And the reason Fitz is going through the portal is because Jemma is STRONGER then him. She held up under physical torture while Fitz did not hold up under mental torture.

They really should have done a better job in hair and makeup post-torture.  Jemma has one scratch on her face and some mussed up hair?  Show, you disappoint.

I was really hoping she would launch a loogie into Ward's face when he was talking to her face-to-face.

While I liked Roz very much, I really did not see the Great Love that would short circuit Coulson's brain into "Most Kill Ward" mode.  And I got very hopeful when they mentioned Koenig, but my dreams of watching Roz' facial expression to seeing multiple Koenigs are dashed.

Very little May, but the shot of Mack approaching the assembled team where she is standing legs apart and all in black?  She radiates BA without saying a word.

• Love 1

Killing Roz just when we are starting to like her?! Damn you, Whedons!!!

Ward had better be dead in the MSF. I'm 1000 percent done with this. If waiting for Ward to die is going to be like waiting for the dragons to come to Westeros, I'm quitting the show right here and now.

Ward is better left on the planet with that whatever it is and Wil brought back. 

• Love 1