Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E22: Live Top 10 Performances

• Start Topic

Omg seventeen! Omg sixteen! Omg Fifteen!

Enough already, judges. Nobody gives a shit about their ages. Now what about the voices?

I want to like this 100 more times. The way they do that is infuriating.

You could have given me 1,000,000 to 1 odds that Jordan wouldn't sing Hallelujah this season, and I would not have bet a single dollar on it. He sang it fine, but what an incredibly obvious song choice. 

• Love 13

I had to post this before I forgot.  Gwen, Braiden hair was NOT punk rock! When she said that to him, I yelled, WHAT?!!

Thought Shelby sounded really great, she got ahead of herself in one spot, but just held a note a little longer to make up for it.

Off to watch this new series NBC has been plugging all night, Superstore. I never even heard of it, I must be off my game.

Shelby should have done the Patsy Cline song; I think she could have put the emotion into it that Emily Ann's version lacked. 

Braiden's song was forgettable, no matter what his hairstyle was. 

I'm glad Korin reverted to her own hair color. She probably did so in case she got axed this week and would been sent home stuck with the platinum hair. 

Another well-sung yet depressing Jeffrey song. 

I don't care who sings it - NO MORE "HALLELUJAH"!

I enjoyed Zach and Amy.  

While Madi's version was interesting, the song itself is meant to be both plaintive and fun, and she drained that right out of it. 

Whatever it was that Barrett sung (I wasn't really paying attention) he seemed more at peace with the guitar in his hands. 

Edited by DownTheShore
  • Love 1

Zach made me smile. That started rough, but by the end it was so much fun. He's not the greatest vocalist in the competition, but if producers want a potential break out star, he's a good candidate. Similarly, I just like Emily Ann. Shelby is the better vocalist by far, but she tries to do too much and makes unpleasant sounding mistakes. 

I wanted to love Amy this week (*N Sync 4ever) but it was overhyped. We get it, you change up songs. The final result was a bit boring. Also boring this week was Jeffery.

Brayden was bad. Also I'm tired of hearing every week that this is the true Brayden. He's the crooner, he's the classic rocker, he's super modern, blah. 

i continue to not get Jordan. Cliche, cliche, cliche.

• Love 8

Dear Blake, "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" is not new to country. Unless you forgot about Dwight Yoakum's version? And nothing can touch Dwight covering Freddie.

I thought Jeffrey killed it tonight. Impressed with Shelby, but I'm a sucker for anything Vince Gill. Emily Ann did a decent job on Patsy, it was less pageant goat voice than normal.

Sick of Maddie and Amy. Go away twee precious ones.

Braden, Jordan, Barrett, all overhyped. Bleach. Would have given Jeffrey the pimp spot at the end.

Edited by dbell1
  • Love 1

2 Jordan Smith Hallelujah (The Voice Performance) 
5 Emily Ann Roberts She’s Got You (The Voice Performance) 
6 Barrett Baber I’d Just Love To Lay You Down (The Voice Performance) 
7 Madi Davis Girls Just Want To Have Fun (The Voice Performance) 
16 Shelby Brown Go Rest High On That Mountain (The Voice Performance) 

19 Jeffery Austin Jealous (The Voice Performance) 
22 Amy Vachal Bye Bye Bye (The Voice Performance)

44 Zach Seabaugh Crazy Little Thing Called Love (The Voice Performance)

70 Korin Bukowski Same Old Love (The Voice Performance)

210 Braiden Sunshine Radioactive (The Voice Performance)

America, I feel like we need to talk. Doesn't everyone who downloads reality show performances already have like 5 versions of Hallelujah? And why Barrett? Whyyyyy?

Kind of cool to see so many Voice artists hitting the top 10 so quickly.

• Love 6

You could definitely feel how they're now singing songs in full, as even songs that started pleasantly enough kept dragging on and on after I wanted them to be over.

Not too surprising, given how the music market's the lowest it's been since the show started. The #10 seller when:

Sawyer was in the T10 - 95k in sales

Matt was in the T10 - 81k one week, 84k another

Christina was #17 - 86k

Matthew was in the T10 - 105k

Swons were #22 - 118k

Cassadee was in the T10 - 101k one week, 94k another

Tony was #16 - 95k

Javier/Dia were in the T10 - 127k

Kworb.net is estimating that 63k will get a song T10 in sales this week.

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 1

Okay, maybe Amy and Adam changing up Hotline Bling could be interesting, fine, I'll give you Blank Space, but Bye, Bye, Bye. It's been the same exact thing three weeks in a row now. It's not interesting anymore.

Jordan singing Hallelujah was not even remotely a surprise and Madi turned Girls Just Want to Have Fun into a funeral dirge. Zach was the only person who looked like he was having any fun up there at all.

• Love 6

Honestly don't get Jordan. Hallelujah is supposed to be bitter. (And Girls just Wanna Have Fun isn't a ballad.) Wish Zach could come back in 3 years after he's grown into that voice. He's fun but *not* *ready*. Liked Shelby tonight, loved Barrett, applauded Korin's de-platinuming but not her singing.

• Love 1

Well I went into tonight thinking it would be Shelby v. Korin in the sing off.....now I'm not so sure. Wise, strategic song choice by Shelby may open the door for Braiden or Zach to end up in the sing off instead.

Team Adam: 

Jordan, won't listen; won't comment.

Amy, Follow up T Swizzle w/ 'N Sync. Another strategic Itunes decision that will probably pay off. The finished product is never quite there. Something about her stylistic choices have given most of her songs an unfinished quality for some reason. Still she's miles more enjoyable than most of rest and I have no doubt she'll be in the finale.

Shelby, Her voice was almost too aggressive for that song. It's like she doesn't trust herself to not crank it up at some point in every song. Still enjoyed it enough to not wish her into the sing off.

Team Pharrell

Madi, The upthread description of a "funeral dirge" was spot on. The abrasiveness of her tone, and the way in which she constructs the pronunciations of most words is just too much most of the time. I know a lot of people didn't love her Jewel cover....but at least she took her voice in a direction that wasn't laced w/ cyanide levels of melancholy and mopey-ness. I'd have no issues w/ her battling Korin in the sing off.

Team Blake

Barrett, Pimp spot? Again? All in all, I probably liked that more than any performance of his since Colder Weather. Blake's encyclopedic knowledge of Country songs from the 70's to the 90's that no one else on a reality singing competition would touch w/ a 10 foot pole is truly impressive.

Zach, He's so out of left field when compared to everyone else. He reminds me of JPL from one of AI's ancient seasons. Vocally he probably should be in the bottom two.....but he brings so much effort to his performances/showmanship, I'd be ok if he lasts one more week. If nothing else he breaks the monotomy and adds some pizzazz to the proceedings.

Emily Ann, I'm not quite ready to call it yet but I strongly believe she will be the most successful Voice country alum (not that Danielle, Cassaddee, the Swons, and Gwen Sebastien are a super high bar to clear). She doesn't have the twang of a Jennifer Nettles or the attitude of Miranda....but she has that piercing quality that a lot of bluegrass artists have....complimented w/ the look of a country pop star. Vocally she seems much more confident as the season progresses, which is another sign that bodes well for her future.

Team Gwen

Jeffery, Supremely talented but not my cup of tea. I'd like Gwen to take a page from Adam and give Jeffery a dance pop song to re-imagine. Or heaven forbid, actually do an uptempo "happy" song.

Korin, for a split second she seemed to get back some of that confidence she had doing Cecelia and the Satellite. She also handled a repetitive, uptempo dance track (not exactly the song type w/ the best Voice track record) admirably. If I was criticizing anything.....I might have held this song back for the sing off which she almost inevitably will end up in. The Selena Gomez superfans on twitter might have helped her houdini act for one more week.

Braiden, Who is this person? He reminds me of a contestant on the X Factor Australia from a couple seasons ago (Caitlyn) who was nominally a country artist but literally had the kitchen sink thrown at her week after week. She basically became a jukebox artist like Braiden has been all season. I didn't hate Radioactive with the heat of a thousands suns....I just spent three minutes rattling off a long list of songs that would have been way better for him.

I'll say Korin finally goes out tomorrow night w/ very little confidence. She easily could knock off a few individuals w/ her legion of twitter fans who already know the drill.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 2

I didn't enjoy the show much tonight.  Jordan, Amy, and Madi are still my favorites because I love their voices, but I wasn't blown away by anything.  When I saw that Jordan was going to sing Hallelujah, I was definitely annoyed. He still sounded pretty great, but I just wish he'd do another big song. Big, meaning, a full diva song.  He was best at that.  Amy sounded good, and I was entertained,, but it felt more gimmicky than before.  She's still making smart iTunes choices.  And if she loses this competition, she'd definitely have a career making the Grey's Anatomy soundtrack. (Those of you who watch: this season, all they play is slow covers of pop songs). I guess Madi could do that too.  She sounded pretty, but not a fan of that version.

Everyone else...meh to bleh. Speaking of bleh, Barrett's voice annoys the ever-living shit out of me. It's just such an annoying tone. (There's a reason I am not a fan of country. He is very COUNTRY). 

• Love 1

Tonight's performances were mostly boring. Vocals were okay to great. I'm already preparing myself for a boring ass finale. 

Jordan (devout Christian) sings Hallelujah. Does he not know what the song is about? It was okay but I mostly half listened while he sang. I was actually making a mental to-do list for the rest of the week. Please producers I beg of you to retire this song permanently. 

Amy (The Voice Whisperer) I just can't with here anymore. Maybe I never could. Anyway, I was an N*Sync fan (never a Backstreet Boys fan) and I didn't appreciate how she bastardize that song. Be gone. Unfortunately, I fear she will be in the finale.

Jeffrey I feel is only going to perform ballads, unless it's a team performance. Hey it works for Adele and Sam Smith. Maybe it will work for Jeffrey post show. Who am I kidding? Only country artists appear to have middling success after this show. I do enjoy his voice very much. I just didn't like the song. It never felt like there was any kind of build.

Shelby (every song is dedicated to her grandpa) I almost forgot about her. She is a country vocal powerhouse. I do like her voice, but again I didn't like the song. I'm glad she got her giraffe. That is my middle sister's favorite animal as well. *shrugs* 

Braiden pick a genre please. No Gwen I do not love him. I can barely tolerate him. I also think I had that same hairstyle that he now has in the mid to late 80s. 

Korin this was the first time that I actually enjoyed one your performances and I am in no way a Selena Gomez fan. Please please please burn that pantsuit immediately. IMO it made you look like a mid-thirties housewife from the neck down (not that there's anything wrong with mid-thirties housewives) and it did your butt no favors. Why can't you just once wear your hair down for a performance? Forgo all the knots, twists, or braids. Be young and kooky.\

Madi (or is it Maddi?) I actually love her voice and was 50/50 on the rearrangement of the song. I did not know until I read over at MJ's that a man originally performed this song and it was meant to be from a man's point of view making the walk of shame. Cyndi Lauper actually flipped the song to a woman's point of view. Learn something new everyday. Fingers crossed that you can make it to the finale, but I know it won't happen.

Emily Anne is one of the contestants that I think with the right management could have a successful career post show. She sings well, but doesn't have the best voice. She's pretty and approachable. I like her and I've gotten over my hatred of Blake choosing her over Morgan. 

Zach the show ended almost three hours ago and I'm still waiting for you to dance. A couple of hip swivels and a walk around the stage does not equate to dancing. You're supposed to be the entertainer and you spent the majority of the song looking lost, scared, and like a deer caught in someone's headlights. I think he's only here for the pretty.

Barrett I do enjoy his voice as long as he doesn't draw out a word or phrase too long, because then it gets a little too twangy for my liking. Just like Shelby and Jeffrey, I enjoyed your vocal but did not care for the song. 

I'm not going to even try to guess who will be the bottom two tomorrow night. I spent more time typing this post than I did paying attention to the performances, and that is saying a lot about this season's contestants. 

• Love 5

Braiden and Emily sounded truly horrible.  He turned radioactive into naptime.  She was performing at screechfest 2015.  Again, we’re at a bad high school talent show.  Overall this episode did not draw me in.

I agree with all of you that want a permanent hiatus for Hallelujah.  I actually love that song which is why I am especially tired of hearing it sung as if it is inspirational.  Ain’t no praise Jeebus in there, so let it go people.

• Love 1

http://kworb.net/pop/

2 Jordan Smith - Hallelujah
 4 Barrett Baber - I'd Just Love To Lay You Down
 5 Emily Ann Roberts - She's Got You
 6 Madi Davis - Girls Just Want To Have Fun
11 Jeffrey Austin - Jealous
12 Shelby Brown - Go Rest High On That Mountain
15 Amy Vachal - Bye Bye Bye
21 Gwen Stefani - Used to Love You
27 Zach Seabaugh - Crazy Little Thing Called Love
51 Korin Bukowski - Same Old Love

Braiden Sunshine ??? I couldn't even find Braiden's name

I did not like anyone tonight. Love Leonard Cohen and hate anyone ever saying somebody's version was "inspiring." The only thing that song should possibly inspire is maybe suicide. The show is called The Voice so I find the Elvis Impersonator especially galling. I do not factor how hard someone tries into my opinion of their voice.

ETA This post was after ff'ing everything but the actual performances. No pre stuff. No coaches comments. Had I watched in realtime I am inclined to believe it would include some form of borderline profane language.

Edited by Pathetica
  • Love 1

Well, not stellar really, but I enjoyed it for the most part anyway.  Not crazy about Jeffrey's song choice (again), but his talent pulls me in anyway. I'll be shocked if he doesn't make the cut for F4. He's so talented.

Still enjoying Amy. I like Adam's approach to coaching her rather than shoehorning her style to make it fit the song of his choice.

Jordan....why?  What a terrible choice--overdone and since he doesn't understand the song, it's just a vocal exercise. Boring. Cliched.  (Naturally he's #2 on iTunes.)

Zach.  He's no Freddy Mercury of course, but he's also no Elvis. I kept picturing Elvis killing that song. But... Zach brings energy and tries to give us a show (could have done more, like Brand New Girlfriend, but in this low-energy group that was still like dialing up to "10").  I hope he stays.

Korin was okay, but she'll probably be in the bottom tomorrow with Braiden. I hope she gets one more week, especially because she sang something that really spoke to her.

Madi gave a disappointing version of GJWHF. Shelby? Whatever. I can't watch Barrett anymore so no idea why he got the pimp spot.

Emily Ann. I give her points for not just imitating Patsy Cline. But I take away -many more- points because she is just so vocally inferior to PC it was painful.

As for Braiden, who really needs to go tomorrow, the only excuse I can think of for Gwen's coaching of him is that she expects him to go home every week and is just trying to get him to have more experience performing onstage and experimenting with different personas. Because vocally what she has him doing each week makes no sense. "Radioactive"? He was so off. (And I seem to remember once thinking that he had a nice vocal tone, and a good voice. Was that someone else? That seems so long ago.)

My choice for F4 would be Amy, Jeffrey, Zach (for fun) and maybe Madi.  But I think it will be:  Jordan (of course), Amy, Emily Ann and hopefully Jeffrey over Barrett.   But, except for Jordan, song choice will probably be everything.

• Love 1

I have heard many renditions of Hallelujah and Jordan's is no where near the top of that list.

Liked Jeffrey, think he has a beautiful voice.   Thought the rest were boring and turned it off and went to bed when Barrett was up.   I just don't get him, at all.

You could definitely feel how they're now singing songs in full, as even songs that started pleasantly enough kept dragging on and on after I wanted them to be over.

So much this; these songs went on forever.

I was pretty bored as well with this. Not being a Jeffrey fan, I was surprised to find that I liked his performance the best, but dude, it's OK to go up-tempo once in awhile! I couldn't get past the first few bars of Radioactive, ff'ed through Shelby's grandpa song, and skipped Hallelujah after seeing Jordan scream/screech a line in rehearsal. The show just wasn't...entertaining, and I can't see any of these people having a career in this field.

2 Jordan Smith Hallelujah (The Voice Performance) 

5 Emily Ann Roberts She’s Got You (The Voice Performance) 

6 Barrett Baber I’d Just Love To Lay You Down (The Voice Performance) 

7 Madi Davis Girls Just Want To Have Fun (The Voice Performance) 

16 Shelby Brown Go Rest High On That Mountain (The Voice Performance) 

19 Jeffery Austin Jealous (The Voice Performance) 

22 Amy Vachal Bye Bye Bye (The Voice Performance)

44 Zach Seabaugh Crazy Little Thing Called Love (The Voice Performance)

70 Korin Bukowski Same Old Love (The Voice Performance)

210 Braiden Sunshine Radioactive (The Voice Performance)

America, I feel like we need to talk. Doesn't everyone who downloads reality show performances already have like 5 versions of Hallelujah? And why Barrett? Whyyyyy?

Amy's being #22 is a crime--especially in comparison to that Hallelujah crap being #2 and Emily's Kuntry Krap being #5.  And poor Korin. #70? Oh man.

At least Braden is getting his due. #210 sounds about right.

You know what really bugs me? That the coaches SAYING stuff is going to chart on iTunes is inherently a self-fulfilling prophecy. Especially with that finger pointing moron on the end, who basically uses that phrase to call his army.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Nice to see Korin back to a light brown.  It will still be an expensive journey until her hair totally grows out.  The brown will not hold for more than 4 weeks.  Color fades from highly bleached hair, quickly.  I would have loved to see how that change went down.

I have nothing more to say about last night!  Just okay for me. 

• Love 1

My favorites from last night were Jordan, Shelby and Jeffrey.  I'm normally not a big fan of Jeffrey - I haaaated his take on that awesome Robyn song a week or two ago - but I really enjoyed him last night, mainly because that song was new to me and I loved it.

I can't handle Barrett, there's just something smarmy about his performances that I can't take.  I hope he goes tonight, but I'm guessing it'll be Korin.

Emily was a shriek fest last night. I like that she has started doing bluegrass arrangements, but, with the exception of her Judds song, I've cringed through all her performances. And last night's was the worst. Patsy's grave was a turning last night. Shame on Blake for being ageist and picking her over Morgan.

Brady Bunch Sunshine Day didn't bother me for the first time last night. But iTunes did not agree.

Everyone I liked is gone. I've never had this little interest in the remaining voice contestants this early in the show. Usually, this happens when the eliminations get down to the bottom two or three. Maybe if half the contestants weren't introduced as "wait, how old are you? How old? No! No!"

Over It:

Emily Ann - I don't think she's terrible but her voice is nowhere where it should be at this point in the competition. Also, the songs she sings, for the most part, she can't pull off because her voice isn't grown enough to carry the weight of the lyrics.

Amy - I do not understand the love for her, especially from the judges. She sounds exactly.the.same on every song - slow, sleepy, emotionless and when she holds notes, ugh! Her voice is so thin.  There's no range and I have to laugh out loud that slowing down a peppy, pop tune to the point of bland, vanilla breathy singing that mimics a million girls in coffeehouse open mike nights (ala Bye, Bye, Bye or Blank Space) is showing some kind of OMG! amazing artistry. When all the judges can do is talk about how good she looks (which she is, gorgeous and sexy, and that's part of why she's still in it) and her "artistry," but not her actually singing, that's not good. I wish this could be the performance that finally sends her "bye bye bye," (pun intended), but I'm sure she'll make the final four.

Korin - She sounded better tonight and love that she's not SWF'ing Gwen anymore, but she's been saved twice so she needs to go. 

Braiden - He's adorable but not cut out to win this.

Liked:

Jordan's Hallelujah - I agree, though, that this song needs to be on the banned list.

Madi - I don't like the song choice but I like what she did with it and when you contrast what she does with Amy, why do we need both of them in the competition again? Madi has a far better voice and deserves to stay IMO.

Zach - I liked his song choice but it wasn't "Brand New Girlfriend." I think he's safe though. I mean, just look at him.

Loved:
Barrett - I know he's not everyone's favorite but I like his country-bluesy voice (although his "Colder Weather" is still my favorite performance from him). And thank you, Barrett, for not chewing the scenery for a change..

Shelby - that, Emily Ann, is how it's done. 

Jeffery - he sounds like he's already won and come back to perform a song from his debut album.

I also have to give a shout-out to Gwen - she was so good in her performance and you could feel her emotion. Gavin is an idiot.

Edited by CountryGirl
  • Love 1

I started to watch this morning and thought about how there were 10 singers and the damn show is one hour and 25 minutes without the commercials and I just could not make myself watch it. So I read the comments here and then DID decide that I wanted to see Jordan's performance of Hallelujah, more out of morbid curiousity than any other reason.

First, there definitely should be a moratorium on Hallelujah. For me, it doesn't get any better than Jeff Buckley or Leonard's original version and it also just bugs the everliving shit out of me that NO ONE that sings it for the thousandth time on one of the competition shows actually seems to understand what the song is about or if they do, they  just glom onto the Hallelujah part and pretend it's a religious song or even a song that's appropriate at Christmas.

Beyond that, Jordan does have a lovely voice, but I just can't get behind him and I'm not sure why. I'm pretty sure he's going to be the eventual The Voice of this season/cycle/whatever they call it, since it's only been around for like five years and they're already on "season" nine. Or eight. Who can keep track?

I'm totally disinterested in these contestants, but then I usually am at this point in the show. That's me and not you, show. Or maybe it is you and I'm just being nice.

• Love 4

Last night was the first time I watched The Voice this season.  I've been kind of burned out on it.  I actually enjoyed most of the singers.  The only thing that would have made it better is to have DVR'd it and fast-forward through the commercials and judges' comments, because those judges still have absolutely nothing new or constructive to say.

The one person that really stood out to me as far inferior to everyone else was Braiden.  I'd really be surprised if he survives to sing another week.  Korin (?) didn't hold my attention at all.  She may have a good voice, but nothing about it interested me enough to listen long enough to find out.  Went and worked on the Xmas tree instead.

I thought a lot of people did step up this evening, making it perhaps the strongest live show so far this season. Not that this means much given how mediocre this season has been.  But I suspect that I’m not the only one with this opinion given that 7 of the 10 performances are currently in the iTunes Top 10 (everyone except Zach, Korin and Braiden).  This is how they lined up at noon EST:

#2 Jordan Smith - Hallelujah
#3 Barrett Baber - I’d Just Love To Lay You Down
#4 Madi Davis - Girls Just Want To Have Fun
#5 Emily Ann Roberts - She’s Got You
#7 Jeffery Austin - Jealous
#9 Amy Vachal - Bye Bye Bye
#10 Shelby Brown - Go Rest High On That Mountain
#20 Zach Seabaugh - Crazy Little Thing Called Love
#29 Korin Bukowski - Same Old Love
(Braiden did not even make the Top 100)

My personal favorite of the evening was Madi.  I pretty much loved everything about that performance, from the arrangement, to the instrumentation to the vocal choices she made.  Madi managed to provide a fresh interesting take on a song that has been done to death.

I also liked what we got from Jeffery, Barrett and (surprisingly) Korin.  I really do think Jeffery is the best vocalist of the bunch, even if he does seem to be doing the same song every week.  Barrett and Korin had their best performances of the live shows. 

As a sidenote, I do wonder why I saw several recaps call “Same Old Love” an up-tempo pop dance tune, when its mid-tempo at best and the lyrics are actually quite somber.  It’s certainly a departure from most of what Selena Gomez has done in the past (and in the right direction).

Emily Ann and Amy weren’t nearly as good as last week, but were still solidly in the middle of the pack. Shelby gave us more of the same; very good when she goes up high, but uneven on the verses.

Jordan’s vocal technique was impeccable as usual, but his performance was seriously flat.  I felt his version of Hallelujah fell quite a bit short of some of the previous covers of that song we’ve gotten on this show (Mathew Schuler, Nichole Nelson).

For me, the two worst of the night by quite a margin were Zach and Braiden. They simply don’t have the vocal chops to handle those songs.  Braiden should have been gone weeks ago.  As for Zach, I thought he actually looked kind of tentative and awkward during most of the performance, only really turning it on at the end. Add in his weak vocals and it was all very underwhelming.

Edited by viajero
  • Love 4

#2 Jordan Smith - Hallelujah

#3 Barrett Baber - I’d Just Love To Lay You Down

#4 Madi Davis - Girls Just Want To Have Fun

#5 Emily Ann Roberts - She’s Got You#

7 Jeffery Austin - Jealous

#9 Amy Vachal - Bye Bye Bye

#10 Shelby Brown - Go Rest High On That Mountain

#20 Zach Seabaugh - Crazy Little Thing Called Love

#29 Korin Bukowski - Same Old Love

(Braiden did not even make the Top 100)

My personal favorite of the evening was Madi.  I pretty much loved everything about that performance, from the arrangement, to the instrumentation to the vocal choices she made.  Madi managed to provide a fresh interesting take on a song that has been done to death.

Thanks for that. So if it was down to F4 this week instead of next, with each coach having one person in the finals (which may not actually happen of course) based on iTunes it would be:  Jordan (Adam), Barrett (Blake),  Jeffrey (Gwen), and Madi (Pharrell).  That's would be tolerable, a bit different styles/genres.

• Love 3

Huh, seven songs in the Top 10. Saying a song broke Top 10 doesn't seem particularly meaningful anymore.  Sort of like saying how a contestant nowadays got 4 chairs to turn.  Who cares.  It's not that rare.  

I guess like someone else mentioned, music downloads are just down overall and a #10 song today represents far fewer sales than in the past.  But are there any other changes impacting itunes charting?  Did Apple change their charting algorithm?  Or is it simply that more people are buying more itunes than ever before?  New viewers?  An easier way of downloading?  Because otherwise I don't understand.  This season has kind of sucked.  

As for last night's episode, I was thoroughly bored. There were no "wow" performances. No performances I was compelled to hear a second time. Actually I found Madi's interesting but didn't really like it. Appreciated the artistry but her voice was just not pleasant to my ears. Kind of shrill.  

And what's up with the audience?  Screaming after every performance and cheering at inopportune times during?  

So the sing-off will probably be between Braiden and either Korin or Zach.  I think Braiden has a chance against Korin if he does his best- though I personally prefer her.  I definitely prefer Braiden over Zach but I imagine Zach has the better fan base.  (I voted for Korin in hopes of boosting her past Zach but I'm not very optimistic about that happening.)

Truthfully, it doesn't matter that much to me and I would suspect they will all be gone by next week, if the reported bloodbath is true.  

I'd like a final four with one contestant for each coach.  So my fantasy pick would be: Madi, Jeffery, Emily Ann & Jordan.  Added bonus of even gender distribution.

However, reality I actually prefer Shelby to Emily Ann and Amy to Madi.  I don't like it when one judge has 3/4 of the finalists but I always vote for the artist I prefer not based on their coach.  My votes will depend on next week's performances.

So wait. Tonight one person will be eliminated, per Carson, taking it down to 9. Then next week 5 will be eliminated so we get down to the final 4??? This is weird. I don't think it was always this way (1-1-1-5), was it?

No, it wasn't.  This stupid show changes the rules every season. 

My guess is that the bottom two tonight will be Korin and Braiden with Korin finally getting the hook.  

Although I liked Shelby tonight, I hope that instead of buying her on iTunes, people will check out Vince Gill. She doesn't compare to VG even a little bit as a vocalist. And this is coming from someone who is not a country music fan.

Other than that, I continue to like Jeffrey and Madi for finals.

• Love 2
Although I liked Shelby tonight, I hope that instead of buying her on iTunes, people will check out Vince Gill.

1000 times "yes" to this!  If you like the song, get Vince - he sings it from his heart as he wrote it after his brother's death.  I'm another who doesn't get Shelby.  I get that her voice is superb but she loses me somewhere.  

On the other hand, I must be some kind of freak because I actually thought Emily Ann did a decent job on Patsy's song.  She is improving and should do moderately well in county music.  Just how well, hard to say.  

Jordan, Jordan, Jordan, there are no words to describe my hatred for that song.  I remember Jason Castro singing it on American Idol years ago and I haven't wanted to hear it from another reality show contestant since (and I actually liked it when Jason sang it).  Why anyone thinks it's a Christian or spiritual song is beyond me.   Can we please retire the song?  Now?  Please?  

Korin, you'll probably be going home this week so I'm truly glad you brought back your lovely brown hair and please, don't ever do the platinum thing again.  Thank you.  

I was disappointed in the song choice for Amy.  Don't know what else to say about that.  I think the iTunes ranking reflects the same thing.  

• Love 2

ver It:

Emily Ann - I don't think she's terrible but her voice is nowhere where it should be at this point in the competition. Also, the songs she sings, for the most part, she can't pull off because her voice isn't grown enough to carry the weight of the lyrics.Forums

Amy - I do not understand the love for her, especially from the judges. She sounds exactly.the.same on every song - slow, sleepy, emotionless and when she holds notes, ugh! Her voice is so thin.  There's no range and I have to laugh out loud that slowing down a peppy, pop tune to the point of bland, vanilla breathy singing that mimics a million girls in coffeehouse open mike nights (ala Bye, Bye, Bye or Blank Space) is showing some kind of OMG! amazing artistry. When all the judges can do is talk about how good she looks (which she is, gorgeous and sexy, and that's part of why she's still in it) and her "artistry," but not her actually singing, that's not good. I wish this could be the performance that finally sends her "bye bye bye," (pun intended), but I'm sure she'll make the final four.

I still enjoy Amy although that breathy way of singing isn't usually my taste. But I think Gwen agrees with you. I had to laugh when she was talking about "You're ready to go on tour" and then amended it to "a tour of coffee houses". lol

As for Gwen, she looked lovely, but I don't "get" her appeal as a singer--I read on the other thread about "ska" and how her dad said voice lessons would spoil her natural gift for what she was doing. But to me she just sounds seriously flat whether solo or in a group and I find her voice very unpleasant to listen to. Her song was bad, too, maybe something good in it but like nearly everything last night, it just dragged on and on with too much repetition and not enough melody. It's another problem with her as a coach, imo, because she can't demo how something should sound. When Braiden asked, "Can you help with the melody?" she should have just admitted it, "No".  I think he's the one who's showing the least improvement--actually seems to be getting worse each week--so I hope he is mercifully out tonight.

• Love 3

He was so much better tonight with just his guitar. I normally just listen to him instead of watching. I love Conway Twitty and I think he did a decent job with the song.

IMO, for Hallelujah no one beats Karise Eden. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pfiZA0UCkw

I agree with you on Barrett. I thought he did teh song justice and I liked him with just the guitar.

But I feel bad, because the clip of Karise just wasn't my thing. I listened twice to try to get it. Her "grit" mostly sounded like straining to me, though, which is odd, because I often like grit - I love Joe Cocker for example. I don't think I have the best musical taste though, so it's probably me.

I liked Jordan's voice on "Hallelujah." It was lovely for me, but he seemed almost uncomfortable or stiff singing it maybe? And in general for me, when I hear that someone is going to sing "Hallelujah," I know I likely won't like it as well as my favorite version which was by - don't laugh - Bon Jovi. I've seen Jon sing it live twice and it was amazing both times. I love the way his voice goes deep at the end of the last hallelujah. I don't think many others sing it that way though Jordan came close - which I appreciated, because musically I prefer it that way. Jon also includes the more bitter verse at the end. I was going to include a link, but couldn't decide which version to include - the studio live one or one from one of the concerts I saw - but for those who love the song and haven't heard his version, I encourage you to find one on You Tube - live is best.*

* And I know he sings it live, because he accidentally missed a lyric on one of the times I saw him - he recovered and sang the rest beautifully, in my opinion.

Edited to add: Here's a great example (in my opinion) of Jon singing it: Hallelujah

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 1