Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E17: Live Playoffs, Results

• Start Topic

Team Adam played out exactly how I thought. Except for thinking Amy and Shelby would've been flip flopped.

Team Pharrell. Bye Riley, I'll miss you. Once Evan got in over Celeste you knew he was picking between Mark and Darius. To paraphrase Indiana Jones...he chose "unwisely".

Team Gwen...Korin for the only real surprise of the night. And I for one am okay with that.

Team Blake, so much for Itunes. Emily Ann got the multiplier and still needed Blake's save. Wow. Still ended up with the three I figured, just not the predicted order.

The final 12 breaks down with 4 country singers, 1 jazz, 1 folk, 3 Blue-eyed soul (two of which are male Adele types and if we're comfortable calling Evan that), 1 R&B, 1 indie-pop, and Braiden who I'm not quite sure how to classify.

Team Pharrell's performance>>>>>all other team performances.

• Love 2

No huge surprises. I'd have let Shelby go but Adam didn't get that choice.

I know. I'd rather have had Blaine. Now Adam doesn't really have a rock-type artist this year, and I think he's really going to have to work to keep the song choices for his 3 artists different.

Adam: Expected 3. I'm a tad annoyed that Amy wasn't ahead of Shelby, but w/e.

Pharrell: Madi and Evan, expected. 

I think it should've been Celeste over Mark though.

Blake: Based on iTunes results, expected 3. Though...what's up with Emily needing Blake to save her when she had the 2nd highest seller of the week?

Gwen: Well, I didn't see this at all.

While Braiden and Jeffrey were among this week's 3 top Gwen sellers, Ellie was higher than Braiden, and she did so well in the first 2 rounds. 

I definitely would've thought Gwen would go with Ellie, or Viktor who seems to have star quality and did pretty well previously, over Korin who is actually my 2nd-favorite behind Amy but kinda melted down this week. I mean, I'm glad, but I did not expect this.

Of course, we have to remember that the Swon brothers needed Blake's save in the playoffs but still ended up in the final 3, so this week's results may not be very meaningful for the future.

Edited by jjjmoss

I thought there were some surprises tonight.

Emily Ann made top 10 on itunes but she wasn't saved by America. I kind of like when itunes is not a completely accurate predictor, which is how things turned out several times tonight. It shows the other forms of voting matter and it leaves some surprise. I like that itunes is a bit of a peak behind the curtain to see where votes are going, but it's not the whole story. That said, top 10 is pretty big and I think she was the right choice for Blake.

I wasn't sure who Gwen would pick. I probably would have thought Ellie and Viktor were more likely choices.

I thought Celeste would make it through from Team Pharrell. Not one bring back artist moved on. That twist was a bit of a bust. It changed nothing.

The only surprise was that Adam looked like he was struggling with his choice. He was choosing Amy. Everyone knew it. Why the drama?

• Love 1

Braiden Sunshine? Really, America? To quote Adam, "I hate this country!"

Amen. That was a big bag of suck.

ETA: I'm supremely pissed that Braiden was voted in. I mean, really America. WTF? And that other kid on Pharrell's team? I don't even know his name - the skinny one. What's happening?

Edited by beaker73
  • Love 6

Very disappointed to see Darius go--I felt that he gave a really good performance last night and is at a whole different level than Mark.    Evan?  Really?   I just don't see it.    

• Love 4

T5 downloads of each round for the contestants still left.

Playoffs
Jordan Smith - Halo
Emily Ann Roberts - In the Garden
Barrett Baber - I Drive Your Truck
Zach Seabaugh - Brand New Girlfriend
Madi Davis - Songbird

KOs (made T100)
Amy Vachal - A Sunday Kind of Love
Jordan Smith -  Set Fire To the Rain
Madi Davis -  A Case of You
Braiden Sunshine - Feeling Good
Korin Bukowski - All I Want

Battles (made T200)
*Barrett Baber & Dustin Christensen - Walking In Memphis
*Mark Hood & Celeste Betton - Ain't No Mountain High Enough
*Korin Bukowski & Chase Kerby - Samson
*Jordan Smith & Regina Love - Like I Can
*Amy Vachal & Jubal and Amanda - To Love Somebody

Auditions (made T100)
Jordan Smith - Chandelier
Amy Vachal - Dream a Little Dream of Me
Shelby Brown - Stars
Barrett Baber - Angel Eyes
...okay it looks like the next-highest was below #300, which is an absurd gap, so let’s just go with T4.

Most consistent:

#1 (shocker) Jordan - 1st, 2nd, 4th, 1st

#2 Amy - 1st, 5th, 2nd

#3 Barrett - 3rd, 1st, 4th

#4, 5 Madi, then Korin - 5th, 3rd

1 placement - Emily, Zach (lives); Braiden, Shelby, Mark

Nothing - Jeffery, Evan

The only person previously cut by someone who's still in is Amy (Pharrell choosing Madi over her).

Edited by jjjmoss

Pharrell's and Adam's teams are exactly what I'd thought they'd be, no real surprises. Well, ok I didn't know who it would be besides Madi and Mark, but I knew those 2 would be through. I don't know why Adam and Pharrell took so long to make choices, it was fairly obvious who they were going to pick.

I was fairly surprised Braiden got voted in. I though Gwen might choose to save him, but I didn't think he'd have the votes. Based on iTunes I was thinking it would be Jeffrey and Ellie. I would have preferred Ellie to Braiden, but I'm glad Korin was saved. She's been one of my favorites even if her last performance wasn't great.

And sooo annoyed Barrett was voted in. I thought it would be Emily Ann and Zach and was hoping Blake would choose Yvonne or Nadjah. I know, I was probably dreaming that Blake wouldn't choose Barrett anyway, but I'm still wish there'd have been the chance of losing Barrett.

Of course, we have to remember that the Swon brothers needed Blake's save in the playoffs but still ended up in the final 3, so this week's results may not be very meaningful for the future.

Yeah, this has happened quite a few times where the coach saves in the playoffs have made it far. Chris Jamison, Will Champlin, Koryn...

I was a little surprised that Emily didn't get the public save. Then again, we've seen top 10 iTunes sellers get eliminated before. Amber Carrington in favor of Michelle. The Kristen Merlin/Christina Grimmie situation was always questionable. In tonight's Emily case, Barrett and Zach weren't really that far behind in the iTunes rankings. Gap could easily have been overcome through other voting methods. Tonight just goes to show once again that iTunes is a decent indicator but not perfect.

America didn't like black singers tonight. Just sayin. I'm not surprised America didn't save Emily Ann. That is my grandmas favorite song and every one of my cousins could sing it better than she did.

Edited by Miss chi chi
  • Love 6

Nooooo, why do I have to see Barette again. And I can't even blame it on Blake. It doesn't bode well for Emily Ann that she wasn't voted through even though she was in iTunes top 10 with multiplier. As soon as she doesn't do well next round, she's gone. Yes to eye candy Zach being in though.

I'm alright with Korin but Ellie has more potential and I prefer people who looks like they enjoy performing rather than scared out of their mind.

• Love 1

Man, this show has been American Idolized. Not even pandering to Christians could save Emily Ann when up against to white, country guys. Only 2 women got saved by America tonight. That is brutal. Blake looked unhappy that both his guys made it through. I think he would have saved Yvonne had Emily Ann been voted through.

Blake's team is now composed of the 3 least talented people he had on his team.

Pharrell save Mark instead of Riley or Celeste.

On Gwen's team, we got stuck with the white guy who butchered Stevie Wonder and the kid.

I am ready to call the finale now - Barrett, the guy who did an Elvis impersonation last night and Jordan.

Edited by pivot
  • Love 2

I'm alright with Korin but Ellie has more potential and I prefer people who looks like they enjoy performing rather than scared out of their mind.

Eh. That doesn't bother me too much.

Carly Simon hates performing and throws up b4 every performance.

I think Korin looked fine tonight singing. I think she was uncomfortable with the song Gwen gave her and the unnecessary makeover.

Well it looks like Adam is going to be the winner again this season. Jordan is going to take all the other singers out one by one. The voice has become an absolute bore/snorefest.

I wouldn't count on it. Blake's bland country singers have won over more talented contestants time and again and Adam tends to screw his artists over with bad song choices at some point in the competition. Considering how many potential winners Adam as had on his team, he's only won twice.

• Love 1

I'm tired of young, short, blonde, white, female country singers.  I no longer care if they can sing like angels, so I was hoping that Emily Ann would get chopped. 

I'm sorry that Victor didn't make it, but was glad that Amy did. Braiden I think was kept in the running because,  like me, people are curious as to where he"s capable of going. 

Madi - bah. America wasted its vote. 

Mark is like an over-enthusiastic puppy, but I like him because he doesn't have a sob story background and because he seems to be getting a kick out of this whole experience. 

I don't like this drastic elimination round; at least four players per team should have been saved. 

Edit for typos. 

Edited by DownTheShore

Man, this show has been American Idolized. Not even pandering to Christians could save Emily Ann when up against two white, country guys,

Braiden does seem to me like one of those bland, lightweight but cute boy singers that Idol voters seem to love. He had maybe the weakest performance of the whole round, but he sails through. Not a good sign. Emily Ann was also bad, but I didn't have a second's doubt that Blake would save her. He just loves his little blonde country singers. The fact that he gave her a Jesus song was a sure sign he's in it with her for the long haul.

I don't get Barrett. He's generic and dull. And for my money, so is Jordan. His performance was a bunch of show-off high notes. Just because you can hit those notes doesn't mean you always should. That's not what singing is about. I hope that everyone here is wrong and that he doesn't have this thing wrapped up. Two seasons in a row in which there was never a doubt about the winner would not be a good thing.

The coaches' comments didn't help. Pharell: "Your voice has been signed by God." What the hell does that even mean? And then Gwen, who I believe thinks way more about hair and fashion that religion. "When you sing all I can think of is God."  Give me a break, people. It's a TV singing completion. Can we leave God out of it? What do they think this is, a football game?

Finally, can I point out that when coaches say they are making a choice based on who they can help the most (as Gwen did with Korin) that's actually the opposite of what this show is supposed to be, which is finding America's best undiscovered singer, not the one with the most room for improvement. This makes the show all about the coaches and not the singers. Which may be a valid concept for a show, but it isn't the one that The Voice has been selling all these years.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2

Good point. 

I think that all the coaches really want to be the one to find the next ________ (fill in the name of a hot young breakout star). They don't want someone who may already be savvy about how the music biz works and who has a better idea of the path they want to travel. 

They want someone to mold. 

I'm not surprised America didn't save Emily Ann.

Yes, her voice seemed so weak during the group song.  I am no country music expert, but, sorry Blake, I think bluegrass country gospel has been done before Emily Ann.....and Way better.

I may be wrong but with the apps, phone voting etc.... the voting eliminates a significant number of older or less savvy viewers.

I was befuddled with the  Upside Down song choice for Nadjah Nicole but now I think he is pushing her to be a background vocalist somewhere....not a bad gig.

Edited by SpringTulips

Team Blake, so much for Itunes. Emily Ann got the multiplier and still needed Blake's save.

And so much for the seemingly widespread belief that singing a hymn is an automatic win.

I may be wrong but with the apps, phone voting etc.... the voting eliminates a significant number of older or less savvy viewers.

Hey!  Just how old are we talking about here?  lol

• Love 1

For Emily Ann, I think we have to keep in mind that the playoff competition is within teams. She may very well have been a top 4 or 5 vote getter overall. Whether song choice had something to do with it or many voters actually like her is up in the air.

• Love 2

I can't really complain about Blake saving Emily Ann because America chose BARRETT. The top vote getter on Blake's team was Barrett. Just, holy hell, America.

Honestly, none of these guys really do anything for me in the oh my gah they're so awesome department.

Something having nothing to do with singing: I hate the way some of these little singing pishers seem to be such bad sports. Like, what was Ellie's deal? Was she in shock? Regina was trying to reach out to her and she just stood there, looking pissed. Then some of the others, like Shelby and a few others who I can't remember right now, didn't even hug their other eliminated team members, even though said team members were at least pretending to be happy they were chosen over them.

Finally, can we get rid of Gwen as a future judge please? I have gone back and forth on her because I've always kind of liked her, but her speech over the save was unbelievably self-centered and self-serving. I like the way Pharrell seemed to burn her a little bit when he said I'm not going to make this about me. Seriously, PTB, I am completely over "you're so cute, OHMIGOD you're only 16, 17, 18, 95, whatever, we can go shopping, I can dress you up and thank you for making being on my team all about me." I sincerely hope hers and Blake's "romance" is short lived. She's not good enough for him.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 8

I thought there were some surprises tonight.

Emily Ann made top 10 on itunes but she wasn't saved by America. I kind of like when itunes is not a completely accurate predictor, which is how things turned out several times tonight. It shows the other forms of voting matter and it leaves some surprise. I like that itunes is a bit of a peak behind the curtain to see where votes are going, but it's not the whole story. That said, top 10 is pretty big and I think she was the right choice for Blake.

I wasn't sure who Gwen would pick. I probably would have thought Ellie and Viktor were more likely choices.

I thought Celeste would make it through from Team Pharrell. Not one bring back artist moved on. That twist was a bit of a bust. It changed nothing.

The only surprise was that Adam looked like he was struggling with his choice. He was choosing Amy. Everyone knew it. Why the drama?

I think its possible that Adam wanted Amy over Shelby.  Perhaps in his head he expected Jordan & Amy to get America's saves and then he had Blaine or Keith in mind for his save.  When he "suddenly" had to make the choice between Amy & a "bro" it might have gotten much harder.  (But I doubt that- see next paragraph)

But really- I suspect that they have be told exactly how long to stall for to create drama.  Even with 6 contestants there are a limited number of scenarios.  It would not be that hard to figure out who you wanted prior to the announcement of America's Saves.  Really you just figure out your "ideal" team and then rank them against each other in case you have to choose between them.  I suppose you could also take into account factors like wanting different genres or genders. But in that case you figure out your top 3 and then just have the alternate in place.  In any case- I highly doubt any strategy is really happening in live TV.  It either pre-planned or they surprise themselves with a gut reaction.

As for Gwen- I am pleasantly surprised she picked Korin over Viktor.  I am not surprised about Ellie- after letting her go once before. 

I suppose the twist of bringing back an artist is that it gives America a chance to vote them through.  I wouldn't expect a coach to save a comeback artist unless they were allowed to pick from another team and brought back someone they never had a chance at.  For example- if Amy had been eliminated after Adam had already used his knockout steal. I am not at all surprised that none of the coaches saved their bring back artists given that they had already let them go once before.  I think it was just a nice chance for the artist to perform live and be seen.

• Love 1

I don't like this drastic elimination round; at least four players per team should have been saved. 

I think this would have been a great place for one last steal per judge.

• Love 5

Barrett is being pimped hard in Arkansas. The local NBC affiliates are featuring him in ads several times a day (usually calling the Hogs) and reporting live on his advancement in the show with reporters broadcasting from backstage at The Voice. The local station's Facebook page lets all their followers know when and how to vote for him. With Razorback football being the state religion, connecting him to the Hogs guarantees a block of votes from here for him every week. I'm a faithful watcher who doesn't vote, so I'm not really invested, but I think he's as good as most of the others in this season's crop -- though I do wish he would enunciate, as Blake advised him. I wasn't surprised by many of the finalists last night, though I thought there was a chance Darius would edge in over Mark and I was a bit surprised "America" saved Evan..

• Love 1

I'm all about Jordan because he's local and his aunt and uncle are my wonderful next door neighbors, lol, so I'm happy for him, but really disappointed about Blaine and Celeste.  They were my two non-Jordan favorites.

And I think Gwen shot herself in the foot by getting rid of Viktor.  I think he was her only shot, although a huge longshot, at winning.

• Love 3

Finally, can I point out that when coaches say they are making a choice based on who they can help the most (as Gwen did with Korin) that's actually the opposite of what this show is supposed to be, which is finding America's best undiscovered singer, not the one with the most room for improvement. This makes the show all about the coaches and not the singers. Which may be a valid concept for a show, but it isn't the one that The Voice has been selling all these years.

I see it as just something to say with not much meaning behind it.  Better than saying I choose ___ because I think they are better, or have more of the X factor or they are my favorite.  

Gwen lit up when Sunshine got voted in (pun intended). It annoyed me. Try to hide that you're playing favorites, Gwen. His Bread performance was awful.

Shocked she didn't keep Ellie, who has probably sold more on iTunes than anyone on her team. Although Korin sounded good on the group sing last night.

• Love 4

Isn't phone voting gone? I wasn't paying too much attention to Carson's voting into. I voted on the app. 

I think Emily Ann would appeal to young voters too. I think she might have been voted through if she was on Team Pharrell or Team Gwen. Her problem was that Blake's team was strong on Monday. Barrett has been getting pimped all along and Zach really stepped up.

I'm tired of the older guys with kids getting through on the show.  They (as winners) don't tend to do well post show (Javier, Jermaine, Josh K., CWB), so I don't see Barrett's prospects being all that promising.  

I'm not surprised Blake saved Emily Ann.  He is the one coach who really looks at iTunes downloads, and she did have her song in the top 10.  Adam may have also been using iTunes as a barometer somewhat with Amy, as she did well in previous weeks with her iTunes downloads.  I agree that Emily Ann will most likely be cut next week.  She has been the least talented on Blake's team and I was so sorry that Ivonne wasn't saved by Blake.  I do like Zach, but Barrett can leave any time.  

I agree that we really don't know the actual voting totals for each contestant since we only see how they fared on their respective teams.  I hope and pray that Braiden Sunshine's performance didn't have near the same number of votes as Jordan, Amy, Ivonne, Jeffrey, Celeste, Zach, Blaine or Ellie.  

I think Jordan has a good shot at winning this, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion as Sawyer was last season.  I just hope Emily Ann, Braiden, Mark and Shelby are gone next week.  I liked Shelby at first, but she appears to have a bit of an attitude.  

Braiden Sunshine? Really, America? To quote Adam, "I hate this country!"

May I remind you that a hat with hair, a guitar, and blandness underneath it somehow won LAST season?

America failing us via this show is nothing new.

• Love 7

AmeriKKKa was out in full force. 8 saves. 8 white people. They might as well flash a neon sign saying "Minorities need not apply."

But I actually agree with most of America's choices and all of them have something that appeals to me...even Braiden. I'm curious though. Is this the whitest top 12 ever on The Voice?

Edited by ppl

I think its possible that Adam wanted Amy over Shelby.  Perhaps in his head he expected Jordan & Amy to get America's saves and then he had Blaine or Keith in mind for his save.  When he "suddenly" had to make the choice between Amy & a "bro" it might have gotten much harder.  (But I doubt that- see next paragraph)

But really- I suspect that they have be told exactly how long to stall for to create drama.  Even with 6 contestants there are a limited number of scenarios.  It would not be that hard to figure out who you wanted prior to the announcement of America's Saves.  Really you just figure out your "ideal" team and then rank them against each other in case you have to choose between them.  I suppose you could also take into account factors like wanting different genres or genders. But in that case you figure out your top 3 and then just have the alternate in place.  In any case- I highly doubt any strategy is really happening in live TV.  It either pre-planned or they surprise themselves with a gut reaction.

As for Gwen- I am pleasantly surprised she picked Korin over Viktor.  I am not surprised about Ellie- after letting her go once before. 

I suppose the twist of bringing back an artist is that it gives America a chance to vote them through.  I wouldn't expect a coach to save a comeback artist unless they were allowed to pick from another team and brought back someone they never had a chance at.  For example- if Amy had been eliminated after Adam had already used his knockout steal. I am not at all surprised that none of the coaches saved their bring back artists given that they had already let them go once before.  I think it was just a nice chance for the artist to perform live and be seen.

I remember reading somewhere that the playoff results show is not exactly live.  It's taped maybe an hour ahead of time so that the show can edit it.  Which makes sense...how else does it happen that every season, Adam's decision is revealed just as credits roll? 

I agree that the coaches should have an idea of who to save when the public saves are revealed.  There are only so many possible combinations.  I still remember Blake saying one season, that he never ever would have expected a certain outcome (maybe season 4?)...which of course is such bullshit.  Typical Blake stuff.

Regarding the bring back contestants, I don't know if I get the reasoning behind it.  Granted I haven't been watching most of this season's episodes, but as far as I can tell from these boards, there seemed to be very little buzz/promotion around the twist.  So it's not really a playoff ratings thing.  Maybe the producers really wanted those 4 bring back contestants to have a second chance? Genre diversity?  Gender? Race? I don't even think the coaches chose these contestants themselves. I know Blake said something about learning about the twist before the knockouts so he knew exactly how to set up his pairings and basically implying that he intended to bring back Nadjah all along.  But that could very well be typical Blake bullshit.  

Edited by Noreaster
  • Love 1

Regarding the bring back contestants, I don't know if I get the reasoning behind it.  Granted I haven't been watching most of this season's episodes, but as far as I can tell from these boards, there seemed to be very little buzz/promotion around the twist.  So it's not really a playoff ratings thing.  Maybe the producers really wanted those 4 bring back contestants to have a second chance? Genre diversity?  Gender? Race? I don't even think the coaches chose these contestants themselves. I know Blake said something about learning about the twist before the knockouts so he knew exactly how to set up his pairings and basically implying that he intended to bring back Nadjah all along.  But that could very well be typical Blake bullshit.  

It's possible Blake was lying, but it would be a rather pointless lie and he repeated it twice.

They experimented with bringing back an artists before. It was in the season of Team Adam dominance and they brought someone back close to the finale. It was an interesting idea, but I think it's a little hard for someone to win when it feels like they got a free pass late in the competition and they weren't bringing in the votes to begin with. I think this was a way to play with that idea earlier in the season. At least these artists had never been subject to a vote before and there was a chance America would love them.

My thinking for why they chose this round is next week they do 12 performances in in a night. The playoffs typically feature 10 performances each night. That means they could add 4 performances over 2 nights and have a slightly fuller show and give America a few more options. As it turns out, America saw those options and didn't pick any of them.

The twist being a bit of a bust maybe a good sign as far as producer manipulation. I would have expected producers to lean on Gwen and/or Pharrell a little bit to make sure a bring back artist advanced. If there was any pressure, Gwen and Pharrell clearly felt they weren't obligated to follow it. 

When they did the wildcard in season 7, I thought it was primarily for ratings.  The show hyped it up all season long.  It made sense in that if viewers became invested in any of the top 12 that were eliminated, they might still tune in in case their favorites came back.  Also, it makes the penultimate results show an actual performance show instead which generally garners higher ratings.  Also, it gives another coach an opportunity to have a contestant in the finals.  I don't know...that one made a lot of sense in a few different ways.  

This bring-back contestant twist in the playoffs had virtually no promotional support so it seems weird to me.  I think the producers wanted some of those contestants back on the show for some reason. And we're still down to Top 12 now anyway.  It's not as if they increased it to Top 13 or 14 or whatever.  

As for the Blake thing, lying about planning to bring back Nadjah all along makes him look like a good guy.  See, Blake never intended to eliminate Nadjah.  He supported her all along!  (I'm obviously speculating, but there's been so much crap coming out of Blake's mouth over the seasons.  I believed him fully in the first couple of seasons but now realize that he makes so much stuff up and says them with such a straight face.  He truly has a gift.)

Edited by Noreaster

>>May I remind you that a hat with hair, a guitar, and blandness underneath it somehow won LAST season?

Yes, but it was a young, darling hat with hair, a guitar, and blandness.  /insert eyeroll here/

I can't really complain about Blake saving Emily Ann because America chose BARRETT. The top vote getter on Blake's team was Barrett. Just, holy hell, America.

Honestly, none of these guys really do anything for me in the oh my gah they're so awesome department.

Something having nothing to do with singing: I hate the way some of these little singing pishers seem to be such bad sports. Like, what was Ellie's deal? Was she in shock? Regina was trying to reach out to her and she just stood there, looking pissed. Then some of the others, like Shelby and a few others who I can't remember right now, didn't even hug their other eliminated team members, even though said team members were at least pretending to be happy they were chosen over them.

Finally, can we get rid of Gwen as a future judge please? I have gone back and forth on her because I've always kind of liked her, but her speech over the save was unbelievably self-centered and self-serving. I like the way Pharrell seemed to burn her a little bit when he said I'm not going to make this about me. Seriously, PTB, I am completely over "you're so cute, OHMIGOD you're only 16, 17, 18, 95, whatever, we can go shopping, I can dress you up and thank you for making being on my team all about me." I sincerely hope hers and Blake's "romance" is short lived. She's not good enough for him.

I have to agree with you on so much of the above. I don't see how Blake -wouldn't- save Emily Ann, because she's (in his eyes) "other" (lol, Pharrell, it depends on context) and was a big iTunes seller. I thought she did okay with her song although ITA with whoever said it reminded her of her grandmother. Indeed.

I honestly do think that if getting rid of phone voting is intentionally aimed at skewing the outcome so will be decided by younger viewers with (supposedly) a greater likelihood of creating a commercial success.  (Bye, Emily Ann). How else to explain Braiden (cute teenage guy) and Barrett? Well, I got nothing for Barrett except, maybe, good looking from a distance? Based on this forum, he would have been gone a couple of weeks ago.  (I think this means that, as usual, my preferences aren't winning).

Anyway, PepperMonkey, I'm glad you posted about Ellie. I'm not terribly invested in anyone on Gwen's team (but was surprised --and pleased!--that she chose Korin over Viktor). But I thought Ellie did well Monday and on iTunes and was expecting her to advance. However, ITA, after seeing her pissy, standoffish (maybe even entitled) reaction last night, she could go home any time. She wasn't so special to be able to pull that. Regina and Viktor were disappointed, too, but she couldn't have been any colder, even when R. tried to give a hug (for the cameras, Ellie, even. Think about it!) 

I understand its hard to deal with major disappointment (although when you're brought back as an afterthought, competing for only 3 spots, you might be quite prepared for going home, you know?)  But, however you're feeling, when you're on camera (at least), one would think you could remember what good sportsmanship looks like. It can kind of become part of your brand (or, in her case, not). I didn't miss her at all after that.

As for Gwen, well, I think she seems like kind of a sweet, good-natured person, but her obsession with the details of hair and clothes gets annoying. (However, after hearing her sing on the show--she's terrible--so I can see why "performance" and "presentation" would occupy so much of her attention.)  But, she kind of got some "independent thinking" points from me yesterday for saving Korin over Viktor (and letting Korin have her glasses back, ditto to Braiden). And she has some good ideas re: songs (or at least seems willing to listen to what her singers want), so I'm okay with her at the moment.  Even with the new younger-skewing voting though, I don't think she has any chance at all of winning this.

• Love 2

AmeriKKKa was out in full force. 8 saves. 8 white people. They might as well flash a neon sign saying "Minorities need not apply."

But I actually agree with most of America's choices and all of them have something that appeals to me...even Braiden. I'm curious though. Is this the whitest top 12 ever on The Voice?

I really disagree with you about it being a racial thing (and agree with the second part, about most of America's choices). More ethnic diversity would be nice, but I can't think of anyone I felt was "robbed" while a white competitor advanced. I think, this year, its just a reflection of the contestant pool.  America didn't really pass up anyone I would have expected them to choose if not for race.

I was very struck by the change in Ivonne from her audition until now--the growth in confidence and stage presence--and in Nadia. Ivonne really blossomed with this opportunity and she and Blake were so cute together. He's really a great mentor, I think, like an encouraging older brother they can really talk to and feel comfortable with.  And Nadia seemed like a completely different person, too, this time--so happy and cute and relaxed. I guess she was just very nervous before but I really liked her this week and appreciated her voice (even the "styling by Gwen" hair)--even though I thought it wasn't my favorite performance. I hope this opens doors for her back home, but whatever happens, like Ivonne, she seemed like someone who already got so much from the experience. This show does so much more of that than AI ever did, so even when I'm not crazy about the eliminations, I still enjoy it. 

• Love 1

Kinda funny reading some of these comments about race in here. There were no black people saved by America and such. Well, Celeste was a comeback who oversang so desperately that she never had a chance, Nadja wasted her chance with, well, I forget. Mark got a bieber song and Darius can't actually appeal to many. We've seen his offerings so many times on these shows and guys like him never go far unless they do something surprising and original and he was never going to. All of the people who got voted through have displayed a bit more depth. Braiden was not good but he was obviously going to get the little boy vote that always happens. This is the same year as Daniel sievy happened. Zach was the clear winner of the playoffs. Not saying he is the best singer by any means but he came out swinging in the opposite way Celeste did and it was super entertaining and stood out and that's why he's still there. There is no mystery why Jordan is there but he should really do a song that isn't a total cliche. That said I fully expect him to do a Whitney Houston song next week. Followed by Mariah Carey. You see where I'm going with this. If he was a female we would all be very bored with him. I can see Jeffrey picking up some momentum. He's really good and I feel like his journey is pretty genuine. That voice is unbelievable. Barrett. No. That's all. Shelby is another who can sing great but needs better songs. Amy has run her course. Waste of a save. Should a been Blaine or Keith who are both really good and now there is no rock representation at all. Evan reminds me of gay karaoke bars. He's gone soon. Madi is lovely. I'm glad she's still there. She could go far if she gets something special next week. Mark. Still don't know if he can even sing. Emily Ann. Shoulda saved Morgan. Korin could be great if Gwen would let he be herself. I honestly think half of her nerves come from the stupid makeover crap. She did great before that. Hopefully she gets it together.

All in all, this group is much less exciting than last season or the one before but maybe some will surprise from here.

1. Jeffrey

2. Madi

3. Zach

4. Korin

5. Shelby

The rest I don't care, Barrett. No. Just no.

• Love 2

I remember reading somewhere that the playoff results show is not exactly live.  It's taped maybe an hour ahead of time so that the show can edit it.  Which makes sense...how else does it happen that every season, Adam's decision is revealed just as credits roll? 

[snip]

Yeah, I noticed last night that it said "recorded today" or "recorded earlier" when the opening credits were rolling.  And also if there were no editing I think there would be a lot more of Carson hurrying them along to make a decision.  I think it was Pharrell who took a reaaalllyyyy long time (other than Adam) last night.  I thought he was going to flat-out refuse to choose at one point.

I really disagree with you about it being a racial thing (and agree with the second part, about most of America's choices). More ethnic diversity would be nice, but I can't think of anyone I felt was "robbed" while a white competitor advanced. I think, this year, its just a reflection of the contestant pool.  America didn't really pass up anyone I would have expected them to choose if not for race.

I don't usually pick up on how many white people advance each year to the top whatever but I thought it was interesting to see that everyone America picked this year were all white people. America usually votes through the most talented people anyway with the exception of a few people of course.

I'm not that person that's all about diversity for everything. I just want the best people to go through and America picked 5/8 that I had in my top 2 from each team. 2/3 left were in my top 3 for each team and then the last one had a off night but was good in the past so I'm pretty happy about the results.