Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E17: Live Playoffs, Results

• Start Topic

This bring-back contestant twist in the playoffs had virtually no promotional support so it seems weird to me.  I think the producers wanted some of those contestants back on the show for some reason. And we're still down to Top 12 now anyway.  It's not as if they increased it to Top 13 or 14 or whatever.  

I think the producers had nothing to lose with the bring back. It adds a little excitement to the round (it's a surprise! even though you could see who was brought back on the app) and it doesn't cost them anything. They had 4 potential performance slots that got filled. It's not like they had to majorly reshuffle anything to add those 4 artists. It gave America more choices even if America said no thank you.

• Love 1

Where to begin?

• Keith Semple is running out of singing talent shows to audition for. I guess X Factor Australia is next for him.
  • I wouldn't mind Braiden if Gwen would stop trying to make him into her own personal Justin Bieber doll to dress up and make over and give him current songs to sing. Viewers knew him as the cartoonish kid with the curly hair and glasses. Leave him be. Also, what's next in Gwen's playlist for him to sing? Donny Osmond? Bobby Sherman? Fabian? (yes, I am old).
  • As for the lack of people of color on the show, none truly stood out since the BIs. I guess Pharrell chose Mark over Darius because he was younger. However, I see him in next week's Twitter sing off if he doesn't come up with a boffo performance.
  • I have to admit, Zach heated up the room Tuesday night. Maybe Blake can give him some songs to truly get the grannies going. I find him more interesting than the cookie cutter petite blonde or the plane crash survivor who Blake says can be the next Hank Williams. Or was it Marty Robbins? Or George Jones? 
  • Jordan may be the winner, but Amy is the most interesting of Adam's three singers and the one who might have an actual career in music. To me, Jordan is just a male version of Susan Boyle, without the truly "inspiring back story." And even she didn't win Britain's Got Talent.
Edited by Nedsdag

I sure wish Blaine would have made it -- we need an energetic rocker dude.  What happened, Adam, does your wanting to beat Blake with a country artist trump your rock roots?  Especially after what you did to Amber, who was a country girl who you consistently ignored?

I think Regina and Ellie were done in by the song choices. "Hello" just came out and people are still downloading Adele's version and "Exes and Ohs" Still has a lot of traction from the summer. If they were going to do those songs they needed to put their own spin on it like Mark did with the Bieber tune. It felt like the ladies were doing Karaoke.

• Love 1

Jordan may be the winner, but Amy is the most interesting of Adam's three singers and the one who might have an actual career in music. To me, Jordan is just a male version of Susan Boyle, without the truly "inspiring back story." And even she didn't win Britain's Got Talent.

Totally agree on Jordan. He is basically someone who is made for these singing competition shows, but in the "real world," who exactly would he appeal to? Not meaning to be cruel, but we know how much looks and image count for. I can't see any record company or producer wanting to invest huge amounts of cash into trying to promote him, even if he were The Voice winner. Where's the market?

Regarding Amy, I agree she probably has the most commercial potential of any contestant (at least outside of the country market, which I would never profess to understand). But here's the thing. Within the context of this show she really stands out because of her very different performing style, but in the "real world" there are many indie female artists with a similar approach. (And who are also very attractive.)  I understand she writes her own songs, so that could be a factor.

Regarding none of the black singers getting voted through, I don't think it's any kind of intentional racial discrimination. I think it's a result of the fact that people tend to vote for the singers they can identify with, both on personal level and in terms of their vocal style.  Assuming that the Voice voting demographic is very heavily weighted white, they means the white singers. And more specifically, in many case, the white country singers, reflecting a disproportionate number of southern voters. (For example, Shelby getting more votes than Amy).

Edited by bluepiano

I think the producers had nothing to lose with the bring back. It adds a little excitement to the round (it's a surprise! even though you could see who was brought back on the app) and it doesn't cost them anything. They had 4 potential performance slots that got filled. It's not like they had to majorly reshuffle anything to add those 4 artists. It gave America more choices even if America said no thank you.

There are costs involved...contestant living costs, transportation costs, song royalties, studio costs, more time needed with the band, etc.  Anyway, it doesn't matter.  We'll probably never know the real reason.  Still think it's weird to not promote the twist if the intent was to add excitement.  Hey, to think less cynically, maybe Pharrell really regretted that Celeste was eliminated (or substitute any other coach and contestant) and asked the producers if there was any way to bring her back.  Ergo, the twist....   Yeah, I'm stretching now.

I sure wish Blaine would have made it -- we need an energetic rocker dude.  What happened, Adam, does your wanting to beat Blake with a country artist trump your rock roots?  Especially after what you did to Amber, who was a country girl who you consistently ignored?

Shelby was saved by the public.  Adam saved Amy. 

There are costs involved...contestant living costs, transportation costs, song royalties, studio costs, more time needed with the band, etc.  Anyway, it doesn't matter.  We'll probably never know the real reason.  Still think it's weird to not promote the twist if the intent was to add excitement.  Hey, to think less cynically, maybe Pharrell really regretted that Celeste was eliminated (or substitute any other coach and contestant) and asked the producers if there was any way to bring her back.  Ergo, the twist....   Yeah, I'm stretching now.

Shelby was saved by the public.  Adam saved Amy. 

True, however those costs are minimal. The royalties paid out would probably be offset by itunes sales. Aside from maybe having the coaches talk more, pretty much anything used to fill time on those shows would have some cost attached. I think this was an easy twist to add in. I think this show has enough of a budget to defray minimal financial costs for a twist (Nissan! Kohls!) I guess I was talking more about the cost of having to majorly reshuffle the schedule or find time to squeeze something in. This fit in neatly to the existing schedule and seemed relatively easy to pull off.

I really only cared about Amy so am happy with that.  I guess.  Surprised she wasn't voted in instead of Shelby, but America seems to love the Big! Voice!  Hence, Jordan.  I'm sorry folks, but I don't get Jordan.  Yes, he has a big, superb voice but it does absolutely nothing for me.  Probably a personal thing but I agree that he is the probable winner.  He seems as inevitable as Sawyer did which will make for another boring season.  Speaking of Sawyer, I hated his song and I still hate his hat, and I'm already sick of Madi's hat.  She doesn't need it, the voice speaks for itself.

Not surprised Blake saved Emily Ann because I'm guessing that, in his mind, she has the most potential in terms of Nashville.   

I don't keep up with the twists and turns of the format, so maybe someone can tell me. Are any of the 12 people eliminated last night going to be brought back through some kind of wild card, or are they permanently toast?

I thought that with the first eliminated group Carson said something like "they're saying goodbye to the show for now." But then with the other groups I didn't hear any "for now" kind of qualifier.

Edited by bluepiano

I'm really surprised Jordan's done so well on iTunes, but I think the novelty of big power diva songs are going to wear off and, while he certainly has a very impressive range and control, he really seems to have nothing charisma-wise that would keep people pushing him through to the end. Adam can call him a magical unicorn or whatever but it's not just his unconventional-for-singing-star looks, he just doesn't project much of a personality off stage either. I know he's faced and overcome a lot of rejection and probably is pretty introverted and he may be a very nice person. But if it doesn't convert somehow to "likeable" (in lieu of "charismatic"), I don't see how his voice along on all the big songs he's going to do, will take him to the end.

Sawyer had kind of an old 60s "troubadour" feeling to him, something about him seemed soulful and unique (and odd in an interesting way) in a very young guy. He seemed to connect to his songs emotionally, not just concerned with showing off his voice (which wasn't all that great).  So I don't think of him as being a whole lot like Jordan.

It''s kind of funny on this site that we don't generally seem as captivated by Jordan or Barrett as "America"-- or even their coaches-- are. Not sure why that is, but I'm glad it's not just me.

• Love 2

This bring-back contestant twist in the playoffs had virtually no promotional support so it seems weird to me.  I think the producers wanted some of those contestants back on the show for some reason. And we're still down to Top 12 now anyway.  It's not as if they increased it to Top 13 or 14 or whatever.

I want there to be a wildcard for the top 24. I just want Ellie back.

Edited by Kaito
  • Love 1

Something having nothing to do with singing: I hate the way some of these little singing pishers seem to be such bad sports. Like, what was Ellie's deal? Was she in shock?

I thought in one of the earlier episode forums someone wrote that Ellie had really lashed out at Gwen on Twitter when she was eliminated, making me surprised that she was brought back at all.  I can't find it right now, but anyone remember that?

• Love 1
Team Pharrell's performance>>>>>all other team performances.

I loved Team Pharrell's performance, which surprised me, since I don't usually go for all the embellishments and could not remember half of the performers.  But everyone sounded lovely, individually and together, and I really liked the way all the parts were parceled out and then put together.  I thought it was one of the best group songs ever.

Team Gwen: Braiden looked as surprised as I felt.  I'm not particularly invested in anyone on Gwen's team, so it doesn't bother me all that much.  Still, I was disappointed it wasn't a Top 2 finish for Korin and Viktor.  I'm sorry to see Viktor go, I thought he deserved to stay.  My ideal 3 would have been Korin, Viktor, and Ellie, so I'm 1 for 3.  I know Jeffrey is someone a lot of people like but I honestly never remember him.

Team Blake: I was pretty sure both Emily Ann and Morgan were going to get through, so I was very surprised when neither of them made it.  I think Blake saved the right one, although I would rather have them both than only one + Barrett.  My ideal top 3 would have been Nadjah, Emily Ann, and .. no one, until this week.  I'm happy for Zach to have made it, on the strength of his Elvis hips and surprisingly good voice.  I hope he keeps surprising us.

Team Pharrell:  I still can't tell Mark and Darius apart.  I had them both mentally categorized as over singers.  I'm with limecoke - I really hate Madi's hat.  I also hated Sawyer's hat, and Josh K's hat, and I'll throw in Melanie's bow for good measure.  Which I hated.  (in case that wasn't clear)

Aside from the hat, though, Madi was a clear choice to stay and I like her singing a lot.  I also have a lot of good will for Evan left over from the blinds.  He was one of the few to make a strong impression on me earlier this season.  I have no problem with America saving the two of them, but it put Pharrell in a very difficult position.  I personally would have wanted Riley as the save, but that would have advanced the three white people on Pharrell's team and eliminated three black people.  When I was looking at that, I literally thought there was no way Pharrell would be able to save Riley for cosmetic reasons alone, which is too bad, because I think Riley deserved the save far more than Mark.  If Pharrell wasn't going to choose Riley, though, I wish he would have saved Celeste.  I think her voice is easily as good, AND she has far more musical taste than either Darius or Mark.  Wasn't Mark the "showman"?  If so, yuck.  I did not like that show.

Team Adam: Put me on the underwhelmed by Jordan team.  My favorite, by far, on Adam's team is Amy.  Then again, I love jazzy voices and think there is always room if you can come up with another great version of an old standard.  I think that's easier to do if you're a woman, too.  (I love Motown as well, but often there is no room at all for another version of those songs.)  Anyway, I'm very glad Adam saved Amy.  However, when he was looking at all the people on the chopping block, I realized that I liked both Keith and Chance a lot more than I expected to.  (Blaine did absolutely nothing for me.)  I think Shelby is talented but uneven and a bit generic.  If it were up to me, I wish America had saved Amy and Keith, and then Adam had to choose between Shelby and Jordan.  That would have been interesting.  Arguably, Shelby is more original but Jordan is more entertaining.

For me, I'm down for a final fight between 3 women: Amy v. Madi v. Korin.  Evan can come in 4th, and I wish Viktor were still around so that he and Evan could give Jordan a run for his money.  As it is, I'm pretty certain Jordan will skate through to the finals. 

Edited by ToxicUnicorn

I thought in one of the earlier episode forums someone wrote that Ellie had really lashed out at Gwen on Twitter when she was eliminated, making me surprised that she was brought back at all.  I can't find it right now, but anyone remember that?

I do remember reading about it here, but I never went back and looked for what she allegedly wrote. But I thought about that post while I was watching last night. Ellie seemed happy for the people who advanced, hugging Jeffery and Braiden, and immediately applauding and smiling for Korin, even though she knew it meant she was out. I think it's unfair to focus on a few seconds of her being heartbroken and call her a sore loser without taking the rest of her behavior last night (including hugging Regina and Viktor when the camera was no longer focused on them) into account.

I'd have preferred Ellie to go through, but I can't argue with choosing Korin over her. I like them both and hope Korin gets a song better suited to her. Adia was a tough ask.

I don't dislike Ellie or anything. In fact, in my original post when I asked if she was in shock or something, I meant it. I wasn't saying it to be snarky. She seemed off and she seemed pissed at the same time and because I wasn't there at the show, I didn't see her hug Regina and whoever when the camera wasn't focused on them. I also didn't see her hug and clap for the others who got through but I could have missed that, I guess, because the show was so damn boring to me. Anyway, I mentioned Ellie and several others, not JUST Ellie, because it seems to me (yes, I'm old) that no one has manners anymore. All of this is just my take on things, but I had a bad day at work today and I'm feeling pissy, so it kind of bugged me when I was called "unfair" for stating my opinion. You know what they say about opinions.

In the long run, it doesn't matter. Ellie wouldn't have won the thing anyway, and hopefully, they all got enough exposure from the show to get some juice.

I think Jordan or Barrett are going to take the whole thing and if I had to choose between the two of THEM, I would choose Jordan, because as someone else mentioned previously, we already HAVE a Garth Brooks. Barrett doesn't really remind me of Garth anyway (Blake, you're such an idjit sometimes) because I can actually understand the words of the songs when Garth sings.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 1

True, however those costs are minimal. The royalties paid out would probably be offset by itunes sales. Aside from maybe having the coaches talk more, pretty much anything used to fill time on those shows would have some cost attached. I think this was an easy twist to add in. I think this show has enough of a budget to defray minimal financial costs for a twist (Nissan! Kohls!) I guess I was talking more about the cost of having to majorly reshuffle the schedule or find time to squeeze something in. This fit in neatly to the existing schedule and seemed relatively easy to pull off.

I get your points but going a little off-topic here, I always wondered if the show makes money off of the iTunes sales. I mean, I don't know how they break down their P&L but there are actually a lot of costs that go into putting together the iTunes. I always thought of it as keeping viewers more engaged, having them feel more invested in the contestants' prospects by buying iTunes, etc than anything else. It's a branding support mechanism but not an actual revenue generator.

I really disagree with you about it being a racial thing (and agree with the second part, about most of America's choices). More ethnic diversity would be nice, but I can't think of anyone I felt was "robbed" while a white competitor advanced. I think, this year, its just a reflection of the contestant pool.  America didn't really pass up anyone I would have expected them to choose if not for race.

Well, I personally thought all three black contestants on Pharrell's team had much better performances than Evan's lackluster boring Stevie Wonder cover.  So did Riley for that matter.  But what really struck me about the voting this round is how much it went against the women.  Only two were voted through by America, while the likes of the aforementioned Evan and Braiden were voted in over women who outsung and outperformed them by a considerable margin.

Overall, the top 12 this season seem so much less interesting or talented than last season.  It's not even close.

• Love 1

Eye (or ear) of the Beholder. I thought Riley was finger nails on a blackboard and Evan has been my favorite male on the show since the beginning. I loved the tone of his voice. This round wasn't his strongest, but I voted for him because I wanted to hear more from him.

I thought Darius sounded the best --by far-- in the group sing, but he had been so acrobatic with his voice in previous rounds, that I never fully appreciated what a great tone he has. It was impressive, but for my tastes, the songs he'd been singing and how he sang them, just didn't do it.

I feel like Sunshine Day (he seems like a Brady, doesn't he?) took Ellie's slot, and I don't begrudge her for looking pissed. Her iTunes numbers were higher than his. Her iTunes numbers were cumalitively way higher than anyone else's on her team. And Koryn tanked this week. Ellie was probably shocked Gwen didn't keep her. I was.

Ellie was probably shocked Gwen didn't keep her.

Probably especially after all that gushing about "The Queen of Ska" and "you're my idol." Wonder how she feels now.

I think Jordan or Barrett are going to take the whole thing

I would be really surprised if Barrett wins, but then, I was surprised that he got saved by the public. I tend to underestimate how strong the country voting bloc is, so may well be right. Cringe. At least Craig Wayne Boyd had a bit of the Waylon Jennings outlaw country vibe, which made him more interesting to me, and I respect that he'd been paying his dues on the road for years. Barrett typifies the kind of bland, commercial, safe country music that bores me to tears. And that whole dedicating his music to the people who didn't survive the plane crash feels manipulative and phony.

• Love 1

All of this is just my take on things, but I had a bad day at work today and I'm feeling pissy, so it kind of bugged me when I was called "unfair" for stating my opinion. You know what they say about opinions.

And I stated my take on things and expressed how and why I disagreed with your opinion. I stand by my opinions that a) Ellie wasn't being rude and b) it's unfair to call her a bad sport when she demonstrated the opposite several times on the show. You're free to disagree and I won't take it personally.

Sorry you had a bad day.

"Hello" just came out and people are still downloading Adele's version

"Hello" may be new, but it's the most digitally downloaded, most viewed on YouTube and on the most pre-release-bought album pretty much in history. If anything, any penalty attached to it wouldn't be that people didn't yet know it... it's that they DID and the version they heard on this show simply didn't live up to Adele singing it (of COURSE it didn't).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

One week later and Jordan's Halo is still at No. 5 on the iTunes chart (while two of his previous performances are still on the Top 100).  It's not often that Voice performances have this kind of staying power.   But considering that Emily Ann and Madi are still in the Top 25, perhaps its simply that not much music is being released at this time (the Adele effect?).