Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

On 10/4/2018 at 12:06 PM, Absolom said:

You can't eat just the type meals and portions that she posts and not be losing weight at her size.  I'm a LOT smaller than Janelle and I would lose weight on the meals and portion sizes that she usually posts.  I'm guessing that not only is she snacking and eating the leftovers, but there is maybe one healthy meal out of say six to nine take out or restaurant meals.

I think Janelle probably has insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome from being obese, which makes it incredibly hard to lose weight (and easy to gain), especially if there is fatty liver involved.  It has taken me 2 years to lose 35 pounds with that and it's been a monumental struggle.  But I do agree that she is likely not eating as little as she would have to eat to lose weight.  Unfortunately for her that is likely much less than what a person without those conditions would be able to eat and still lose weight.  I am shocked at how little I must eat to lose anything even with moderate exercise.  Most people would not be able to live on such a spartan diet for the long haul.  Janelle might be eating the right things, just too many of them!  I was always surprised at how I could follow established diets to the letter and exercise and still not lose weight.  I'd have to cut at least 200-300 calories a day from them to get the scale to budge.  And these were not easy diets to begin with!

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Kbo said:

They finally put another house on the market

Christine’s house is now listed at $649,000. (Originally $675,000 in July) Janelle’s starting price is $649,000, hers went on the market yesterday. 

Meanwhile.....

D26F6815-21F4-41AF-83A5-47FF7F1EFAEE.png

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Kbo said:

They finally put another house on the market

It's interesting how their houses are basically the same model but they chose subtle little differences in them.  Like Christine has her dining room open off the front door hallway while Janelle has hers open off the kitchen.  And Janelle's staircase looks bigger with a half bath underneath it.  I think Janelle's house is 6 bedrooms (versus Christine's being 5 bedrooms) because they enclosed the upstairs loft for Maddie and Caleb right?  So they both must be 1 master bedroom downstairs and 4 bedrooms with a loft upstairs.  Nice houses honestly.  But still not sure $649,000 is competitive with the market.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Meanwhile.....

D26F6815-21F4-41AF-83A5-47FF7F1EFAEE.png

OK, per serving the Alexia risotto doesn't have that much fat (4.5 grams) but there are supposedly 3 servings per package at about a half a cup for each serving.  How much did Janelle eat?  The whole pan or just a half a cup?  Plus it's a sodium bomb at 410 mg. per serving.  If you have two servings those numbers are doubled.  That's a small bag.  Don't tell me there's only a half a cup in that bowl.  Then also those mushrooms look like they had to be sauteed in some kind of fat, and people don't think about how every drop of oil or butter in the pan adds tons of fat.  So I am somewhat skeptical about this as a meal that would help her lose weight.  I wouldn't make this meal for myself on my diet.

• Love 4

I keep thinking I want to try the cauliflower deal and zucchini (?) pasta. I need to be brave and just dive in because this cold turkey no potatoes/no rice/no pasta has been haaard. But you will take my bread from my cold, dead hands!

People who post here are so smart about food. I've saved lots of pages/tips. The last 15 pounds of my goal needs to be gone!

• Love 4

I wonder what's keeping Meri's and Robyn's houses from being listed, also.  Has everyone vacated LV for Flag?

TMI Realty?  Interesting name.  Too Much Information?  

I still think the Browns believe that their "star" status makes their houses worth more.  

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

But I do agree that she is likely not eating as little as she would have to eat to lose weight.  Unfortunately for her that is likely much less than what a person without those conditions would be able to eat and still lose weight.  I am shocked at how little I must eat to lose anything even with moderate exercise.

Oh I get easily how little some of us get to eat while losing weight.  I'm just above 5' tall, am hypothyroid, and can't be very active.  

That's a good point about Janelle's latest post that while superficially it may appear "healthy," there are many ways there for her to sabotage herself.  

• Love 5

64% of the calories are SUGAR, the dominant ingredient.  And there appears to be more plastic packaging than figs in the photo … I can just imagine the cost of this "healthy" treat.  PS, each package is ~5 servings.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 5
30 minutes ago, absolutelyido said:

What year were the houses built? I didn't see it in the listing. They both look very dated to me. So much brown (no pun intended).

They were built in 2012.  I like Janelle's brown carpet better than Christines.  

• Love 1

If I were looking at any of those houses as a serious buyer, any offer i might make would reflect the fact that every square inch of flooring would be replaced before I moved in.  Particularly Janelle's place.  Judging from the dirty feet we've seen, not even a professional deep cleaning would compel me to spend one minute living on those carpets/floors.

Plus, i would never be the first to buy one of those places.  Too much risk that I would end up with two or three foreclosures sitting empty, dragging down my property values.   

• Love 5
7 hours ago, deirdra said:

64% of the calories are SUGAR, the dominant ingredient.  And there appears to be more plastic packaging than figs in the photo … I can just imagine the cost of this "healthy" treat.  PS, each package is ~5 servings.

My doctor said if you have a lot of weight to lose , that you should not eat any sugar, even fruit.  She said once or twice a week you can eat a low GI fruit if you feel that you need it.  Janelle may be eating healthy, but that doesn't mean it is going to help you lose weight.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

E8369ED2-DBC7-4AE5-9E76-8578BF661807.jpeg

That doesn't look too bad actually. What I'd be worried about are calorie-laden dressings/toppings--it's easy to take something healthful and ruin it with toppings (read the Calorie King book and you'll see that many restaurant/take-out salads are 800 calories or more). 

That said, Janelle is SO naive. She just became aware that you could buy fresh figs?!? Every time she discovers something, she shares it with everyone, making her sound even more incompetent and uneducated nutritionally. I wouldn't be so picky about it is she didn't call herself a "coach". Gawd!

ETA: If I could liken Janelle's expertise to a belt-color in martial arts, I'd liken her nutritional knowledge to that of a Yellow Belt. Who wants to take advice and lessons from a novice? Get some more experience/success and get back to us. 

Edited by TurtlePower
ETA
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

That said, Janelle is SO naive. She just became aware that you could buy fresh figs?!? Every time she discovers something, she shares it with everyone, making her sound even more incompetent and uneducated nutritionally.

She and Jill Duggar should have their own YouTube channel where they travel around and share simple things about the world that the rest of us learned about in grade school. Jill Duggar just learned that little boys like to play outside.

• Love 19

Buckwheat, huh.  Had anyone else tried buckwheat for breakfast? At some point the weather will turn cold  in North Carolina and I like warm cereal for breakfast. I never thought of buckwheat.

• Love 1

My father introduced me to buckwheat when I was about 3 or 4.  Buckwheat pancakes were a big deal for him apparently.  He made them every week.  Janelle should just go walk around a Sprouts or a Whole Foods and get educated.  Have done with this piece meal approach she has going.  Like go now Janelle and discover persimmons.  :)  

• Love 7

I agree with Savannah; buckwheat-as-oatmeal just makes me wish for real oatmeal.  (Although I admit that it may be my inability to cook it in a way that doesn’t make it a glue-like mush.) 

Buckwheat pancakes are a different story, though. 

• Love 1

Oh goodness Janelle.  Google is your friend at the very minimum before posting.  Those grains that you eat or grind up for flour are...you know...seeds of plants.  Plant it as a seed or eat it as a grain.  Buckwheat pancakes are very popular around here but are really old fashioned.  They have a very heavy texture in my opinion, but my husband really loves them.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Roslyn said:

Oh goodness Janelle.  Google is your friend at the very minimum before posting.  Those grains that you eat or grind up for flour are...you know...seeds of plants.  Plant it as a seed or eat it as a grain.  Buckwheat pancakes are very popular around here but are really old fashioned.  They have a very heavy texture in my opinion, but my husband really loves them.

Actually, buckwheat is not a grain and is indeed a seed -  and is an excellent option for people with celiac disease or other gluten sensitivities.  And while pointing out the obvious but furthering the point, all grains are seeds, but not all seeds are grains.  Grains come from plants in the grass family whereas buckwheat is in the same class as rhubarb.  It may be semantics but its a valid distinction.  

Edited by sharkerbaby
  • Love 9
16 hours ago, neh said:

Buckwheat, huh.  Had anyone else tried buckwheat for breakfast? At some point the weather will turn cold  in North Carolina and I like warm cereal for breakfast. I never thought of buckwheat.

We used it all the time when I was a kid. I love buckwheat.

And, AGAIN, Janelle shows why she should not advertise herself as a health coach. She "just discovered" something that's pretty common and has been around for a very, very long time. 

• Love 8
29 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

We used it all the time when I was a kid. I love buckwheat.

And, AGAIN, Janelle shows why she should not advertise herself as a health coach. She "just discovered" something that's pretty common and has been around for a very, very long time. 

Janelle must lose sleep trying to think of a new topic for her daily postings.  If she isn't writing about how much stress she is living with, it's the "new" foods she has discovered.

If I were one of her Strive subscribers, I would be more interested in how effective the program is.  Let's see how the program works and post the pounds and inches she has lost while participating.  I'm surprised she hasn't lost weight from the sheer stress about being stressed.

• Love 8
46 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

I mean, really. If you showed photos (or, better yet, walking, talking videos) of the wives to 1000 people and asked Which One Is The Health Coach how many would choose Janelle? I can't decide if it's self-delusion or conscious grift. Did Kody decree that wives would get side lines or was it caused by peer pressure? (Beginning with the joory). Of all the wives she is the one who for many years functioned in the real world. I think I have a pretty good handle on the others (including Kody) but she is the one who puzzles me. She makes me feel like an elementary school teacher: "Janelle follows rules and shows respect; knows the material but does not turn in assignments; does not achieve to her potential and seems satisfied with that."

• Love 10
18 hours ago, Absolom said:

My father introduced me to buckwheat when I was about 3 or 4.  Buckwheat pancakes were a big deal for him apparently.  He made them every week.  Janelle should just go walk around a Sprouts or a Whole Foods and get educated.  Have done with this piece meal approach she has going.  Like go now Janelle and discover persimmons.  :)  

Love buckwheat pancakes!

• Love 2

A refresher, from Strive....

Our Story

JANUARY 17

STRIVE with Janelle is about embracing the real-life challenges of maintaining a long-term healthy lifestyle. Janelle Brown understands the everyday challenges that come along with exercise and even more importantly, that it’s not just about short-term results. Check out her website at www.strivewithjanelle.com. Read the blogs and leave your comments. As an IIN certified health coach, she embraces the philosophy that health coaching isn’t about telling you what to do and eat, its about empowering you to make changes through support, cheer-leading and accountability. She provides health coaching with a unique perspective. She is someone who really gets what its like! Inquire about sessions today by emailing us at inquiries@strivewithjanelle.com .

4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

A refresher, from Strive....

Our Story

JANUARY 17

STRIVE with Janelle is about embracing the real-life challenges of maintaining a long-term healthy lifestyle. Janelle Brown understands the everyday challenges that come along with exercise and even more importantly, that it’s not just about short-term results. Check out her website at www.strivewithjanelle.com. Read the blogs and leave your comments. As an IIN certified health coach, she embraces the philosophy that health coaching isn’t about telling you what to do and eat, its about empowering you to make changes through support, cheer-leading and accountability. She provides health coaching with a unique perspective. She is someone who really gets what its like! Inquire about sessions today by emailing us at inquiries@strivewithjanelle.com .

Um, thanks, I'll pass!

Of all the endeavors that the Browns have been involved in, this one has me the most flummoxed. I'm just not sure what Janelle is trying to accomplish with this. I haven't done any checking up on it, but it can't be very successful, can it?

• Love 5
On 10/16/2018 at 6:55 PM, neh said:

I've been eating cream of buckwheat for a a few years now.  I love it, it's smooth, a lot like cream of wheat and works well with fruit and a few drops of honey or other natural sweetener.

• Love 2

Every time you are puzzled by why Janelle acts a certain way, you have to remember - she has more than one screw loose.  Janelle CHOSE polygamy.  She was not raised in it.  As an adult - she CHOSE to live this lifestyle (all the other wives were brought up with the religious nonsense, so I give them a wee bit of a pass).

She's simply bonkers.  It helps explain a lot.

• Love 18

Here's a word to the wise from a spelling nerd:

Desert = a dry, arid, barren region, like the Sahara, Gobi, Kody's hair, etc.

Dessert = a sweet after-dinner course 

A quick way to remember is to think of the number of S's.  Would you rather have two (or 4, in Janelle's case...) deserts or desserts?

Edited by LilWharveyGal
  • Love 16
7 minutes ago, rainbowrockgal said:

Yeah, if I was Christine, I would be pissed Janelle so publicly trashed the dessert. You are so right @laurakaye, she could have easily given it to others or even back to Christine.

Christine probably made the dessert with Janelle's food limitations in mind.  Grinding nuts to replace flour is an expensive option, and I would be hurt if I were Christine.  Giving it to one of the others or back to Christine would have been best to do;  if they can share a husband, why not a plate of dessert?

• Love 17

Ok, I'm usually a "live and let live" kind of person and rarely criticize or make judgement regarding others choices and living habits (even the Brown's), but this one made me irrationally angry.  There are so many others within arms reach here that I just can't get on the its okay to trash perfectly good food just because.... why???  Now maybe they aren't living right next door to each other anymore but I'm sure it's not that much out of the way to drop it off at someone's house, anyone's house - she even states she's about to go out to spin class. 

As for how Christine might feel about it, I can see a weird juxtaposition between hurt that she just tossed my efforts down the drain yet flattered that she enjoyed it so much that she couldn't resist.

Edited by sharkerbaby
  • Love 10
9 minutes ago, sharkerbaby said:

Ok, I'm usually a "live and let live" kind of person and rarely criticize or make judgement regarding others choices and living habits (even the Brown's), but this one made me irrationally angry.  There are so many others within arms reach here that I just can't get on the its okay to trash perfectly good food just because.... why???  Now maybe they aren't living right next door to each other anymore but I'm sure it's not that much out of the way to drop it off at someone's house, anyone's house - she even states she's about to go out to spin class. 

As for how Christine might feel about it, I can see a weird juxtaposition between hurt that she just tossed my efforts down the drain yet flattered that she enjoyed it so much that she couldn't resist.

I gotta admit I would be mad if someone threw out something I made.  Give it back to me if you cannot take it.  Or toss it but keep it a secret!  These  are people who have had to depend on the tax payers to buy them food in the not so distant past so to have her do this just sits wrong with me.  

• Love 20
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

Why couldn't she have shared it with one of her kids, her bonus kids, or her sister wives? 

Selfish twit.  Wasting perfectly good food is ridiculous when there are eleventy-seven mouths to feed.  Especially when someone made it specifically for her.

1 hour ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Here's a word to the wise from a spelling nerd:

The first thing I thought of when that error jumped out at me was:  "How do you stuff a whole desert down a garbage disposal?  Wouldn't all that sand gunk up the plumbing?"

• Love 13

In context, what does she mean by "overbearing?"  I don't get putting that word with lethargy.

Lookie lookie everyone!  I thank my sister wife for her efforts by trashing what she made for me, because it's too good to resist.  Huh?  Doesn't your awesome family share everything?

Surprised she calls her sycophantic followers "clients."  How many Strive subscribers can she have, with these kinds of posts?

• Love 12
3 hours ago, sharkerbaby said:

Agree 100% with you and everyone else here. I cut the Browns a lot of slack, A LOT, but this post really irks me. What a complete waste. When we have sweets or other foods around my house that we are trying to avoid eating, my sister brings them to work. This is just ridiculous.

• Love 5