Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

52 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Open houses again this weekend!

Out of curiosity (because I'm not familiar with that part of the country), I looked it up and it takes approximately 4 hours to drive from Flagstaff to LV.  Making that trip every weekend has got to get old.  That's a lot of time to spend away from the flannel robe and yoga mat.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Out of curiosity (because I'm not familiar with that part of the country), I looked it up and it takes approximately 4 hours to drive from Flagstaff to LV.  Making that trip every weekend has got to get old.  That's a lot of time to spend away from the flannel robe and yoga mat.

But it's a gorgeous drive.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, AZChristian said:

But it's a gorgeous drive.

It gets old, for me anyways. I hated that drive, pretty as it is (and even getting paid for it). Take arrested to jail, drop off, drive back through Kingman. Over it, glad I don't have to do that any more! 

Just get me an Iron Man suit already. I hate driving. 

• Love 6

From article linked above:  

The next season of the series, set to air in January, will follow the family to the point where they departed Las Vegas.

So they finally do something marginally interesting, and we won’t get to see it this season.  But apparently we’re going to be treated to them discussing their “fillings” about the move ad nauseum.  I truly don’t understand what they’re thinking.  I want to see the move and their new setup, not them sitting around talking about moving.  I wanted to start a pool on how many flat tires they’d get on this move.  Curse you, TLC. 

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, Kbo said:

The next season of the series, set to air in January, will follow the family to the point where they departed Las Vegas.

If they maintain that schedule the summer of 2018 relocation will air in January 2020. Has the show always lagged that far behind/18 months? I lose track of stuff like that. TIA

• Love 2

So there will actually be a season 11? What if season 10 bombs, especially if we are just going to see them preparing to move? I guess this answers our question about where they got the money/lending for the land. They were guaranteed at least two more seasons of income. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

So there will actually be a season 11? What if season 10 bombs, especially if we are just going to see them preparing to move? I guess this answers our question about where they got the money/lending for the land. They were guaranteed at least two more seasons of income. 

Very true! No season 11, no Flag! Oooff.

• Love 1

I agree, it's an "oooff" moment not to have Flagstaff in this coming season, but truthfully I didn't expect it since they obviously film these things in advance and it would be too close to the airing of this next season for them to include it.

12 hours ago, Kbo said:

From article linked above:  

So they finally do something marginally interesting, and we won’t get to see it this season.  But apparently we’re going to be treated to them discussing their “fillings” about the move ad nauseum.  I truly don’t understand what they’re thinking.  I want to see the move and their new setup, not them sitting around talking about moving.  I wanted to start a pool on how many flat tires they’d get on this move.  Curse you, TLC. 

I knew there was a catch! I wonder if they're done after this season and don't want their flagstaff lives to be shown.

How. BORING. The point at which it'll get interesting and they cut it off. 

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 7:36 AM, laurakaye said:

I have literally never heard of putting butter in coffee.  But it's no wonder Janelle can't lose a pound - she jumps from fad to fad on a daily basis.  So of course nothing is going to work.

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:08 AM, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Agree.  Vegetables + lean protein = weight loss.  All that other stuff is adding lots of calories for minuscule portions.  My doctor even told me to avoid fruit as it has sugar and defeats weight loss.

Putting (grass fed) butter or MCT or ghee in coffee is a big thing in the Keto world.  I don't know if that's what she's doing, I haven't followed her "journey" much.  But for me, I'll say I've been eating lean meat, tons of veggies, grains plus working out since March and couldn't lose a pound (it really gets harder the older you get I'm finding).  Last month I tried Keto and have lost 11 lbs.  So whatever works, do it. 

• Love 5

If you read the article they are claiming they can afford the move to Flagstaff due to the appreciation on their homes: 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The exodus to Flagstaff was an opportunity “to move somewhere that was a little bit quieter than Las Vegas, for the kids, and so we took it,” Brown said. More than half the children are out of school now. “We came from a less urban place, and we kind of wanted to get back to a less urban place, for the sake of the younger children who are still home.”

Another reason was local real estate market values will allow them to cash in on the equity they have acquired here.

“We bought at a very good time and we got a good interest rate, so there’s some value (in the homes), and that was part of the reason why we decided to move.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It won't take much time for the cost of keeping up four empty houses plus living expenses in Flagstaff to wipe out any equity they have acquired in those houses.  Since they aren't running from the law this time (LOL), it probably would have been smarter for them to stay in Las Vegas until their houses were sold and the money was in the bank.  

They could have emptied out three of the houses, and moved everyone temporarily into the fourth.  When the third house sold, then make the move to Flagstaff, and list the fourth house.  It's their business, of course, but it looks to me as if they have chosen the absolute most expensive way to make the transition.  They apparently are paying mortgages on the Las Vegas houses, paying for land in Flagstaff, and also paying for rentals in Flagstaff.  

Of course that would have required them to use some money sense, live in a less than comfortable situation for a while, and delay their gratification, so I can see where they probably didn't consider doing anything other than satisfy their immediate impulses.  The real fun to watch stuff with these people will be when the TLC gravy train ends and they're scrambling to keep from losing everything.   

• Love 22
3 hours ago, smarty2020 said:

If you read the article they are claiming they can afford the move to Flagstaff due to the appreciation on their homes: 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The exodus to Flagstaff was an opportunity “to move somewhere that was a little bit quieter than Las Vegas, for the kids, and so we took it,” Brown said. More than half the children are out of school now. “We came from a less urban place, and we kind of wanted to get back to a less urban place, for the sake of the younger children who are still home.”

Another reason was local real estate market values will allow them to cash in on the equity they have acquired here.

“We bought at a very good time and we got a good interest rate, so there’s some value (in the homes), and that was part of the reason why we decided to move.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They probably should have tried to sell about 1 year ago.  I can understand moving to a quieter place.  But Flagstaff has high property taxes and they will have to build a certain cost home on the land.  Will they be able to afford to live here in retirement?  Or will they move again.  

• Love 6
12 hours ago, smarty2020 said:

Brown added "And a big screw you to the middle children who were uprooted from Utah, for no reason, other than the adults wanted to move to Vegas, who will now be uprooted once more for no other reason than that the adults no longer want to stay in Vegas."

• Love 19

I think Zillow varies widely when unfamiliar with a location.

I live on Lake Huron in a row of little cottages built in the 1940's, mostly for summer use and mostly unimproved.  Someone built a McMansion about a mile away with a motel on one side and a 300 square foot place on the other.  Zillow is saying that place is worth 1.1 million.  No way in hell they are going to get that much. It's been for sale for over a year and they keep decreasing the asking price (down to $800,000) but still no takers.  While it's lakefront you also have to take into account the neighborhood.  I'm not sure Zillow really does that except possibly in big urban areas.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Zillow publishes its accuracy rating within 5, 10 and 20% of asking price by state and county within state:

Pretty  much what I figured. Lowest ranking in my area.

Edited by Kohola3
5 hours ago, Xena said:

Brown added "And a big screw you to the middle children who were uprooted from Utah, for no reason, other than the adults wanted to move to Vegas, who will now be uprooted once more for no other reason than that the adults no longer want to stay in Vegas."

Yeah, it's not like they have to relocate for a job or jobs.  Meri and Christine can sell that LuLaNo crap from anywhere.  TeeVee Stars (LOL) can work anywhere, too.  What about doing it all "for the kids?"  Guess not.

• Love 6

Typical Janelle, for me, would say:  I'm not going to bother with any food plan that doesn't include all of my favorites.  Janelle's Strive persona:  Well, I have to pretend to care that I'm looking into #wackyornotwackydiets, and thinking about trying one or more of them, but it's so hard to get out of bed because:  the days are getting shorter; it's colder than crap here in Flagstaff; I have to drive back to LV and try to unload one or more of our overpriced houses; blah, blah, blah.

What a life.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Sandy W said:

Enough with the Reasons and Recipes Janelle, I'm sure your Strive followers want to see the other R word..........Results.

But what would the result be?  STRIVE is so vague that no one knows what the end result looks like.  Is it a weight loss program?  Is it about healthy lifestyle choices?  Who knows?  It just seems like random musings and trendy fads.  Janelle doesn't seem to have a f*** ing clue.  And neither does anyone else.

Who cares about the stupid soup she found in some cookbook? Did she post a recipe?  What's the point?  Even Jill Duggar posts recipes, as crappy as they may be. Either do something or stop.  

Edited by toodles
  • Love 17

Their side hustles reflect who they are and their place in the family. Robyn, with the jewry, faked it while she made something out of nothing. Meri, with LLR, can barely see any of them in her rear view mirror. Christine sometimes takes a little bite of what the "adventurous" wives come up with, just to see what it tastes like. Janelle keeps her head down and her eyes on her own paper, and plods and trudges on the slow track to nowhere.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, toodles said:

But what would the result be?  STRIVE is so vague that no one knows what the end result looks like.  Is it a weight loss program?  Is it about healthy lifestyle choices?  Who knows?  It just seems like random musings and trendy fads.  Janelle doesn't seem to have a f*** ing clue.  And neither does anyone else.

Who cares about the stupid soup she found in some cookbook? Did she post a recipe?  What's the point?  Even Jill Duggar posts recipes, as crappy as they may be. Either do something or stop.  

Janelle has slid into the internet posting equivalent of navel gazing.  This stuff is self-absorption to the max.  It's not even goal oriented.  I realize she has spent a lot of her adult life focused on her kids, so perhaps this is just a wild swing in the opposite direction now that she has less to do in that regard.  Still, really?

• Love 11

There seems to be an underlying sadness with Janelle. Maybe she's uneasy about having an empty nest fairly soon. Some couples look forward to being just the two of us. If they started out as a couple they can go back to that; if they came together mid-life and blended a family they get to be a couple for the first time when the nest empties. And some couples dread it because their life was all about the kids so now what? Can you imagine this bunch when all the kids are gone and it's just Kody and 4 empty nesters looking to him for companionship? But, Janelle will have lots of time to go fishing - and mountain trout are the best!

Polygamy shortchanges women in every phase of their lives.

• Love 12
On 11/12/2018 at 3:56 PM, smarty2020 said:

I was surprised they moved to Vegas in the first place and completely understand wanting to relocate to a smaller town. 

Regarding Vegas, I cannot believe the cost of homes in the valley. In Henderson, areas that were barren 2 years ago are filled with new homes. "New homes starting in the low 300s!" The low 300s? What are people doing for a living that they can afford this? Who's going to buy the McMansions that are priced in the 600s--without spas/pools or anything of a 'perk' to get people to bite? I wouldn't consider a home that expensive without a spa, pool and outdoor kitchen/grilling area. They're just big, boring homes (with nice kitchens I'll give em that).

Edited by TurtlePower
apostrophe abuse
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Who's going to buy the McMansions that are priced in the 600s--without spas/pools or anything of a 'perk' to get people to bite?

But, but, but........these were the scene of the smash hit Sister Wives!  They were owned by the utterly fascinating Browns!  Who wouldn't want to live in the space and breathe the same air as these ultra famous celebrities? 

You boring monogamists just don't ever understand, do you.

• Love 5

As far as the new season....Of course they won't show the actual move this season. This is how they get another season / paycheck. We will probably see up until the moving trucks pull away, then be left to wonder what the actual living arrangements will be. The information that they are recording in a warehouse in Flagstaff makes since now, they don't want to give the viewers any hints of where they are living while filming there "couch sessions". I hope they are more sensible with this move and build smaller, more efficient homes. Christine only has 3 at home, and 2 of them are in high school, Jenelle only has 2 at home, and her youngest son is almost grown, Meri has no one at home, and only needs a 2 bedroom so there is a place for Mariah and Audrey to stay when they visit. Robyn is the only one with a larger family and small children.  The children have shown that they leave the nest as soon as they are grown. The show can only go on for so long. Let's hope they are thinking of their future and being able to pay a mortgage payment when the show goes away. If it was me, I would build whatever my TV paycheck could pay off in the next few years.

• Love 7
58 minutes ago, bamaview said:

. Let's hope they are thinking of their future and being able to pay a mortgage payment when the show goes away.

HAHAHAHAHAHA....oh, you are serious. The Browns thinking ahead?  Being logical?  Planning for the future without their "smash hit show" and all of its perks?

Not happening.

1 hour ago, bamaview said:

We will probably see up until the moving trucks pull away, then be left to wonder what the actual living arrangements will be. The information that they are recording in a warehouse in Flagstaff makes since now, they don't want to give the viewers any hints of where they are living while filming there "couch sessions".

Except we already know.  Good grief, there are links to pictures of the place that Christine just bought.  And the land.  Who do they think they are fooling?  Everything they have done in the last two seasons has been old news.

• Love 14
22 hours ago, ginger90 said:

16CAEA85-CB6C-48B2-A48C-DA7F853A0096.jpeg

NEWS FLASH!!! I found my walking/grocery shopping/gardening/getting the mail shoes.  Much to my surprise, they were in my closet right where I left them!  

Further updates as needed.  Carry on.

#IfoundmyshoesrightwhereIleftthem

#Idontneedtopostaboutmyshoes

#noonecaresthatIfoundmyshoestoday

#noonecaresaboutmyshoesatall

Edited by toodles
Thought of one more
  • Love 12
22 hours ago, ginger90 said:

16CAEA85-CB6C-48B2-A48C-DA7F853A0096.jpeg

Oh, Janelle.  You crack me right up.  I understood your subtle subcontext right away.  I got a kick out of how you're pretending to be happy that you found this specific pair of shoes that you only use for spinning (are you supposed to have a different pair of shoes for every single type of exercise?  Because if so, I'm doing it wrong).  But I digress!  What you really mean by this post is that because the shoes in question have been "missing" since you've moved, you have not been able to don a different pair of shoes and go to spin class...but now that they have been supposedly located from their mysterious hiding place, you can now joyfully join back up with your beloved spin class, from which you have been notably absent because shoes.

Good one, Janelle.  Enjoy your 9 x 13 pan of peanut-butter Fritos under the smug assumption that you have once again pulled the wool over the eyes of your "followers."

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 11

Not a slam at anyone specifically... but for years there is talk about their financial woes..... and yet..... here they are buying what, an $800K property? Selling four homes, each $600K?  Plus everything else needed/wanted for five adults and however many kids? 

• Love 8

Thinking she's in control of a situation then realizing she isn't? Maybe related to a hurt or disappointment. " ... pointless expense of energy." Sorta translates as "Why even try, it's a waste of time."

• Love 4
9 hours ago, suomi said:

Sorta translates as "Why even try, it's a waste of time."

That’s how I took it. That’s why I wonder why she thought it belonged on “Strive”, It’s more like one of those vague Twitter posts.

• Love 5