Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I don't think you need a special bowl and whisk to make the tea, just use your own bowl and whisk or stir it good.  I've been buying matcha powder for years at a Japanese market.  I started buying it to make my own green tea ice cream using vanilla ice cream since I couldn't find green tea ice cream like you get in a Japanese restaurant in stores for a long time (I find it in the supermarket now), but this way I can make it low fat if I want using low fat vanilla frozen yogurt.  It's very good!

Ever just drink it as tea? I like regular green tea ok...but this looks a lot more smoothie-like. Very green, very frothy (from the whisking)...a little intimidating to me, I guess! They also sell a version that you just shake up in a bottle of water as a cold tea. But I think with winter really setting in (we were excited because it was a whole 35 degrees out today, woo hoo) I'm more interested in hot tea right now. 

I see that Janelle has inspired us to be tea adventurers....gulp. Wow, a pun! I read the book, Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane.  Good book and I discovered a tea called Pu'erh. It is not expensive and I got it from Amazon. That tea is so good that I have almost given up coffee. I get a feeling of well-being after drinking it.

Edited by neh
Spelling
  • Love 3
On 12/12/2018 at 8:37 PM, Yeah No said:

But you're never going to get there if you keep trying stuff that you don't like and try to convince yourself (unsuccessfully) to like.  You have to like your food and if you don't you have to find food you like that you want to eat every week or even every day.  I look at the stuff she posts and I could never be satisfied eating most of that stuff.  Yet I manage to find healthy foods that I DO like and ways to prepare them that I love.

This is why different people succeed with different diets. There is no magic bullet; losing weight is always a matter of taking in fewer calories than you use during the day. My boss swears by a diet called Code Red, which is hugely popular in my area because the author grew up here. But, it's not the diet, it's the fact that it includes enough foods that she loves to make up for the food she had to give up for the diet. I have another friend who has kept her weight off for 20 years using Weight Watchers, and one who has lost 25 lbs in 6 months by just giving up processed food, sugar, and fast food. All of them praise their food plans as the One True Way to lose weight, but it's still that they're eating smaller portions of healthier food that they like to eat.

• Love 11

They had snow that was enough to shovel. According to Janelle, she sat by the fire.

Meri shoveled, according to her, for 2 hours.

Christine played in the snow with her children.

I don’t recall Robyn posting about the snow.

Janelle is certified as a Health Coach.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

It's a fermented tea, that helps weight loss, cholesterol reduction and cardiovascular protection.   

Pickle, do you like Pu'erh tea?

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

And she's advertising something mediocre - why?  Damn, this woman is boring.  And yet her devoted bootlickers followers like and retweet this drivel.

She must lead a very mundane life if she is willing to sit through a repeat episode of a movie she found "pretty good" and "not great" the first time around.

That said, I never miss an opportunity to re-watch TV reruns of Best in Show and manage to find something to LMAO every time.  I wouldn't pay to attend a repeat movie theatre presentation though.

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

If my health coach mentioned a possibly beneficial recipe, and then told me to Google both said recipe and said benefits, my response would be, "Well what the heck am I paying you for?!"  Just sayin'.

How can you possibly question Janelle's extremely valuable service? Instead of laying on the couch browsing the internet for random health fads, you can pay HER to do it for you!!!   How much would you be willing to pay to have someone take on that arduous task for you?

• Love 6
7 hours ago, ginger90 said:

96D09ACE-8D7A-4189-9F38-572A649586DE.jpeg

6B8991A7-A75F-48BA-9570-EB83AD14EE86.jpeg

She has to be trolling us, you guys:

"My latest woe-is-me whinefest is that I can't sleeeeeep.  So I went to the store, bought $41.79 worth of ingredients that I will use twice (including a 2-pound container of nutmeg), Googled "I can't sleep" on the laptop and this crazy mixture popped up.  Now, mine turned out kind of gross and the turmeric went all over the place, so here's a pretty photo I lifted from another site.  If you don't believe me that this mixture works to put you to sleep, then look it up, loser.  And no, I am not going to post my recipe.  Again, I'm pretty sure you have fingers and a laptop, so find it for yourself.  I had my doubts, but after reading two reviews, I figured - why not?  There's plenty of room in my pantry for my shiny new batch of spices - I just have to find a place for that 20 gallon drum of molasses.  In the meantime, make your checks out to "Strive With Janelle."  Now leave me alone, I have a boring movie to re-watch to kill two hours.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 24
1 minute ago, laurakaye said:

You've got this, girl.  Just Say No to Nutmeg.  Because from there, it's cinnamon and then turmeric.  And don't get me started on cardamom.

I know, but it's so harrrrrrrrrrrd!!! And nothing looks as good in real life (wah wah wah wah....).

That whole post is just full of gems. Nothing looks great in real life, so here's a picture of somebody else who made it (but somehow made it look good in real life...her life must be fake).

• Love 9

First Janelle followed up on one of her posts  about using a neti pot, and pointed out one should  boil the water first. She left that out of her original post.

Now she’s thrown up a post touting nutmeg. Google nutmeg Janelle.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

First Janelle followed up on one of her posts  about using a neti pot, and pointed out one should  boil the water first. She left that out of her original post.

Now she’s thrown up a post touting nutmeg. Google nutmeg Janelle.

WOW!!!    Who knew.  Glad i rarely ever use it unless a recipe calls for it.

• Love 3

I thought this whole conversation about nutmeg was a joke.  I've known about nutmeg's possible side effects for a long time, but it would take what would be considered a LOT of nutmeg to produce any kind of reaction, much more than any recipe would ever call for or anyone would ever want on taste alone.  The incidence of any kind of reaction to nutmeg is extremely small too.  Nutmeg is only very lightly dusted on anything.  A little goes a long way because any more than that starts to taste bitter.  I sprinkle a little on egg nog and some in alfredo and other white sauce dishes, but a sprinkle is probably more than 100 times less than it would take to even cause a mild reaction.  Judging from Janelle's post, she only sprinkled it lightly over a drink.  I only found out about nutmeg about a decade ago, but even before that I would never have wanted to use more than a sprinkle on anything.  While I think Janelle is often a dolt about stuff like that, I doubt there's much danger that she's going to start chugging the stuff any time soon.

(Greetings from the Nutmeg State!)

• Love 12

My issue is that Janelle is suggesting that we all need to be very careful before sprinkling nutmeg on our coffee drink unless we are ready to fall instantly asleep.  The above information should've been something that Janelle took into consideration before stupidly informing us about the dangers of nutmeg.  When she posts "avoid nutmeg during the day for obvious reasons," she's being willfully ignorant.  Unless she did indeed pour a bottle of nutmeg into her drink and then couldn't get off the couch for the rest of the day...but I highly doubt that nutmeg was the culprit there.  Just another lazy post courtesy of Strive With Janelle!

• Love 14
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

My issue is that Janelle is suggesting that we all need to be very careful before sprinkling nutmeg on our coffee drink unless we are ready to fall instantly asleep.  The above information should've been something that Janelle took into consideration before stupidly informing us about the dangers of nutmeg.  When she posts "avoid nutmeg during the day for obvious reasons," she's being willfully ignorant.  Unless she did indeed pour a bottle of nutmeg into her drink and then couldn't get off the couch for the rest of the day...but I highly doubt that nutmeg was the culprit there.  Just another lazy post courtesy of Strive With Janelle!

The internet is full of idiots like this giving bad information. That's what make the internet untrustworthy--idiots. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

My issue is that Janelle is suggesting that we all need to be very careful before sprinkling nutmeg on our coffee drink unless we are ready to fall instantly asleep.  The above information should've been something that Janelle took into consideration before stupidly informing us about the dangers of nutmeg.  When she posts "avoid nutmeg during the day for obvious reasons," she's being willfully ignorant.

Yep. Exactly. That's why I made my sarcastic "ruining the family Christmas by passing out from nutmeg" post. :-) But yes, it is annoying that she posts that like there's a real danger from a PINCH of nutmeg.

My brother & I when it comes to egg nog....I'd take the nutmeg and "tap tap" a little pinch on mine, he'd always grab it and say "What the hell was THAT, you want to TASTE it, don't you?" and SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE a whole bunch on there! He'd have a big brown slick on top of his eggnog. (No he never OD'd!)

It always reminded me of a Golden Girls episode, where Sophia is cooking and says she's adding a pinch of some spice, dumps in a bunch, and Rose says "That was a PINCH?" and she responds "Ever been pinched by an Italian man, it takes 10 minutes!" 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

It always reminded me of a Golden Girls episode, where Sophia is cooking and says she's adding a pinch of some spice, dumps in a bunch, and Rose says "That was a PINCH?" and she responds "Ever been pinched by an Italian man, it takes 10 minutes!" 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

LOL, love it!  Janelle's penchant for "discovering" new things on the internet, but then telling her followers to Google it themselves rather than offering any substantive info, reminded me of Dorothy's sarcastic retort when Sophia is missing in the hospital:

Blanche:  Have you found her yet?

Dorothy:  Yes Blanche, about half an hour ago.  But I've hidden her again so that you can find her.

• Love 13

LOL, you guys are all on a roll today! 🤣🤣🤣

Yes, Janelle is some health coach alright. "Here's some shit I heard about. Google it yourself." Doesn't even include the recipe! Ummmm....then what do we need YOU for, Janelle?

Oh that's right...entertainment value! For us anyway...not so funny if you've paid 35 bucks a month for it. (But anyone who did sign up with her is probably not bright enough to realize she's making them do the research themselves!)

• Love 9

She got a slow start? Oh my God, I can hardly believe it! Janelle is usually so energetic and on top of things! <insert MAJOR eye roll> And now it still isn't even done and maybe won't be, but that's okay because she's contemplating it all...

I haven't put up a tree in 3 yrs. My Dad died on Dec 15th 3 yrs ago, and we had to bury him Dec 19th (today) which was his birthday. Which of course led to the saddest Christmas ever, and 18 months later my Mom died. Both of cancer. Now my brother and I go find some restaurant that's open on Christmas Eve, and that's all we do.

Talk to me when you've got some REAL problems, Janelle, not "Oh dear I didn't know what to do, I went to the craft store, but..." 

ARRRRRGHHHH! She is such a drag, I swear she could bring anybody down. How about being grateful you have 6 kids that you love, something not everyone gets to have??? Hmmm?

Christmas will probably never be the same but I'm enjoying getting all my gifts together for the family, and getting ready to head out on long trip to "other brother's" house for New Year's (poor guy, one brother lives right here by me and is the oldest, so the one farther away is relegated to "my other brother"! Ha!). Anyway, "other brother" has all the kids, so that's where all the fun is. 

So, Christmas kinda sucks for me, but when we get with the rest of the family in Jan to celebrate, I love it so I focus on that. I love buying them all gifts and my brother does NOT, so I do everything and we split the cost. It's not the same without our parents, and never will be, but shit changes. Deal with it. It can still be a lot of fun!

How does she ever buy gifts for all of her kids? God that has to be a daunting task, that takes a ton of meditation and "immersion in thought" before she can even get started...

Maybe she doesn't need all the calming spices in her lattes and all this over-thinking...maybe she needs a kick in the ass to get her going. I'll volunteer, because right now, I'd like to kick her in the ass!

• Love 20
7 minutes ago, Sasha888 said:

Maybe she doesn't need all the calming spices in her lattes and all this over-thinking...maybe she needs a kick in the ass to get her going. I'll volunteer, because right now, I'd like to kick her in the ass!

We can stand in line - I will give her kick #2.

Holidays are always so hard when there has been loss.  I was lucky to have my parents into their 90's but I still miss them and our childhood traditions at Christmas.  Yet, unlike Janelle, I still manage to get moving and get the decorations up for my family and family to arrive.  It's all by myself (no kids or spouse) but I take solace in looking at decorations from years past and remembering where I got them.  Maybe Janelle might want to say a "I'm lucky" chant hanging the ornaments on the tree instead of treating it like torture.  Dolt.

STRIVE not to be so damned lazy and call it being "contemplative".

• Love 13

I'm Kick #3.  

I will be celebrating Christmas this year for the first time without both my mom and my mother-in-law.  I also have a tree, and two older kids who weren't home when it was time to decorate.  What did I do?  I decorated it all by myself, remembering the special ornaments - especially those super-cheap ones made out of popsicle sticks by my kids when they were in preschool - and I enjoyed myself thoroughly, even as I palpably missed my moms.  Janelle is beyond contempt at this point, as far as I'm concerned.

As stated above, her tree isn't done (and probably never will be) because she doesn't have her kids around.  Okay, that could be a mom missing her large brood of kids charging around the place, making her life feel full.  But I think what it really means is that her kids are no longer around to distract her from the fact that she is miserable, and they are no longer her motivation to get her ass out of bed and GET SOMETHING DONE.  My gosh, she out-Eeyore's Eeyore himself by a factor of 10,000.  And I about spit my coffee out when I read the line about "the high level supervisory role that I had for many years."  That may have a sliver of truth, but let's not forget - she abandoned that supervisory role when it came to her own kids.  That job fell to Logan.  So cry me a river that now that you have to be the "adult" in your family, you can't be arsed to do anything about it, and your useless "husband" is never around - or when he is, he's napping on your couch.

She shouldn't be worth us getting upset over, but yet she manages to do it anyway.

Edited by laurakaye
rage typing = errors
  • Love 18

Ok not exclusive to Janelle... but I was thinking.. since the TeenMom girls are getting what 300-550K/year .... do we think this bunch is pulling in over a million/year by this point?  Maybe more?    I will always feel like the financials are the biggest unknown factor in this bunch. Their various life decisions would be much easier to put in context if we knew even just the ballpark of their annual incomes. 

• Love 6
On 12/11/2018 at 2:12 PM, laurakaye said:

MAD-LIBS:  JANELLE BROWN "STRIVE" VERSION

Now that it's (insert weather condition), I am feeling (insert generic complaint).  I am struggling to (insert any action that a human being does on a daily basis).  Because I also (insert any health ailment), I have been trying (insert latest health fad or food item).  I am not really sure about (insert new generic complaint) but I am finding (insert food) to be a (insert overblown cliche)!  

Now that it’s Friday at 4pm, I am feeling a little down that another week has gone by and I gained 3 pounds. Because I also have a yeast infection caused by my nettie pot or maybe from the nutmeg I brought at the dollar store. I read online that the ingredients in the filling of ding dongs have been known to heal such afflictions, therefore I have spent the afternoon trying to suck all the icing out in one fell swoop. I am not sure if I just got a bad box, but all 8 so far have not come out in one try. This could have been a game changer. Drats  

• Love 21
On 12/17/2018 at 11:06 AM, laurakaye said:

So I went to the store, bought $41.79 worth of ingredients that I will use twice (including a 2-pound container of nutmeg), Googled "I can't sleep" on the laptop and this crazy mixture popped up. 

I needed Turmeric for a soup recipe and found a great buy on Amazon for what I thought was going to be 2 cups (16 oz). It turned out to be 1 pound. Which is an even better deal, but will last me for the rest of my life and possibly my children's lives.

• Love 6