Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Sorry Janelle, but that looks caca.  I wouldn't be saying 'nom nom nom.'

She has no idea how to photograph food. Also, it's tiresome to continually hear her trying things and never making any progress. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Just Wondering said:

No mention of how Kody liked it.  On cooking shows and blogs, the spouse’s preferences and reactions are usually also mentioned frequently.  Hmmmm

Well of COURSE Kody didn't even try it.  Why in the world would he go over to Janelle's house?  He probably hasn't been over there in the last 6 months.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
21 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Well of COURSE Kody didn't even try it.  Why in the world would he go over to Janelle's house?  He probably hasn't been over there in the last 6 months.

And now that he has seen what Janelle likes to do to 🍆, he won't be back.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 10
  • Love 2

Are those Oreo cookie crumbs in the corners of her mouth that need accounting for?  Oh I forgot, the 14 or 21 day challenge doesn't start until the 14th.  Plenty of time left to be unaccountable.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

Yeah, I'd want her for my health coach. 

Also note how she helpfully says she used a cookbook for her eggplant abomination  but  can't be bothered to name it and instead directs strifers to pinterest. Does looking stuff up online burn calories?

• LOL 6
23 minutes ago, deirdra said:

It is only a pound, not a kilo.  Does it have any taste left after sitting in the cupboard for a year?

In her mind it would should she ever actually use it. Which I'm guessing she forgets its even there after she gets entranced by someone else's "research" and buys a metric ton of that new substance.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, dreadfulLeigh said:

Oh, dear Gabe, doing the Lort’s work. 

So it’s a kilo of peppermint tea and now a kilo of spearmint? If you’re buying mint teas by the kilo to aid in digestion, maybe get your Gi issues looked into? Hmm?? Maybe??

Mint tea is not great for people with digestion issues.  Just looked it up.  Anyone with indigestion, GERD, or stomach or digestive issues shouldn't use mint in a tea.  

Sad fact the older you get the less your body tolerates some foods.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, dreadfulLeigh said:

Oh, dear Gabe, doing the Lort’s work. 

So it’s a kilo of peppermint tea and now a kilo of spearmint? If you’re buying mint teas by the kilo to aid in digestion, maybe get your Gi issues looked into? Hmm?? Maybe??

Getting her gut checked would be a good idea. She let the cancer on her lip grow so big, even Mohs surgery left a scar. Having part of her colon removed would be a much bigger problem. 

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Mint tea is not great for people with digestion issues.  Just looked it up.  Anyone with indigestion, GERD, or stomach or digestive issues shouldn't use mint in a tea.  

Sad fact the older you get the less your body tolerates some foods.

Oh, yeah. I have all of those conditions lol (and have since I was young) and have to hold back the eye rolls when all the EO and holistic-I-don’t-like-to-use-medication people always suggest peppermint oil/tea/etc. I’ll take my biologic and PPI’s, thank you very much. 

*oh, and seeing an actual GI doctor.

Edited by dreadfulLeigh
  • Love 11
6 minutes ago, dreadfulLeigh said:

Oh, yeah. I have all of those conditions lol (and have since I was young) and have to hold back the eye rolls when all the EO and holistic-I-don’t-like-to-use-medication people always suggest peppermint oil/tea/etc. I’ll take my biologic and PPI’s, thank you very much. 

*oh, and seeing an actual GI doctor.

True.  I have GERD and other issues.  I tried to do the natural approach so as to stop taking Prevacid.  OMG!!!!!  I felt fire from my stomach all the way up into my mouth.  After two days back on the meds, the fire went away.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, Chicklet said:

In her mind it would should she ever actually use it. Which I'm guessing she forgets its even there after she gets entranced by someone else's "research" and buys a metric ton of that new substance.

Yes, she typically gets way more than she needs. Probably winds up in the back of the pantry after 2 days. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

My guess is that Janelle doesn’t have health insurance and therefore isn’t going to see a doctor about her digestion issues. All of them seem to have a head in the sand attitude about health issues. 

Knowing what is wrong is half the battle, then the person can take a plan they know will heal them instead of guessing. There are so many variables when it comes to digestive issues. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

Knowing what is wrong is half the battle, then the person can take a plan they know will heal them instead of guessing. There are so many variables when it comes to digestive issues. 

True.  But even with insurance you might not get a proper answer.  I know, I've been there done that.  Just power through my issues.  

• Love 5
10 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

My guess is that Janelle doesn’t have health insurance and therefore isn’t going to see a doctor about her digestion issues. All of them seem to have a head in the sand attitude about health issues. 

And....gasp....the doctor might figure out that they are....gasp....polygamists!

• LOL 8
27 minutes ago, Meowwww said:

And....gasp....the doctor might figure out that they are....gasp....polygamists!

No way!!!  They aren't polygamists....  You're just teasing!!  lol

Everyone knows that Robyn is married to Kody and Christine and Janelle are ex-girlfriends.  Meri is his ex-wife.

I am willing to bet Kody goes weeks without seeing any one of them except Robyn.

Edited by Kyanight
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Yes, she typically gets way more than she needs. Probably winds up in the back of the pantry after 2 days. 

I imagine her pantry smelling like one of those natural food type places that stink to high heaven 🤮

• LOL 8
1 hour ago, Kyanight said:

Everyone knows that Robyn is married to Kody and Christine and Janelle are ex-girlfriends.  Meri is his ex-wife.

I am willing to bet Kody goes weeks without seeing any one of them except Robyn.

I want part of that action, too.  

Janelle (paraphrased):  "Kootie is very good at dividing his time."  

I didn't believe it then, and I certainly don't believe it now.  

Has he once traveled to see his grandkids, since Evie was born?  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

Has he once traveled to see his grandkids, since Evie was born?  

Didn't he go once shortly after Evie's birth? Maybe I am misremembering...COL after all... Anway I don't see him rushing to their side given all the medical issues...he is so good at ignoring anything that might require expensive medical care.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Kyanight said:

I agree, and I think coronavirus provided the perfect cover "excuse" for not visiting the others. I remember he did show up once or twice at Christine's -- they took Truly on a drive to a fast food place in another town. Maybe In N Out?

• Useful 1
24 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

I agree, and I think coronavirus provided the perfect cover "excuse" for not visiting the others. I remember he did show up once or twice at Christine's -- they took Truly on a drive to a fast food place in another town. Maybe In N Out?

For Truely's birthday.  He probably couldn't come up with an excuse to get out of it where he could save face.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

True.  But even with insurance you might not get a proper answer.  I know, I've been there done that.  Just power through my issues.  

I can empathize. Took me forever to figure out celiac and I had to ASK for the test. 

• Love 4

Janelle needs to haul out her InstaPot (you know she has one still in the box because she's afraid of it).  Then she needs to take all the expired rockstar crap out of her pantry - the ghee, the nutmeg, peppermint, spearmint, etc. and blend it into soup.  Chop up all the wilted veggies that she gets from the CSA, toss them in the rockstar concoction and throw them in the InstaPot.  Take out her best chipped plates and bowls and dump in whatever comes out of the Pot.  Photograph it and tell us how nom-nom it is, then see if the dogs will touch it with a ten-foot pole.  After tossing it all out into her composter (brand-new, still in box) she should deactivate her stupid Strive website, refund everyone's money and go get some real help.  THEN, after losing 50 pounds, maybe come back and tell us how she did it under the care of a doctor and a trainer.  Until then, stop telling your followers - all 14 of them - to drink 5 cups of mint tea a day to help cure them of their PCOS.  One of these days she's going to hurt someone if she hasn't already.  She has about as much business giving any kind of health advice as Robyn has explaining how to define and contour a small chin.  Just shut up already!!

• LOL 6
  • Love 13
15 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Janelle needs to haul out her InstaPot (you know she has one still in the box because she's afraid of it).  Then she needs to take all the expired rockstar crap out of her pantry - the ghee, the nutmeg, peppermint, spearmint, etc. and blend it into soup.  Chop up all the wilted veggies that she gets from the CSA, toss them in the rockstar concoction and throw them in the InstaPot.  Take out her best chipped plates and bowls and dump in whatever comes out of the Pot.  Photograph it and tell us how nom-nom it is, then see if the dogs will touch it with a ten-foot pole.  After tossing it all out into her composter (brand-new, still in box) she should deactivate her stupid Strive website, refund everyone's money and go get some real help.  THEN, after losing 50 pounds, maybe come back and tell us how she did it under the care of a doctor and a trainer.  Until then, stop telling your followers - all 14 of them - to drink 5 cups of mint tea a day to help cure them of their PCOS.  One of these days she's going to hurt someone if she hasn't already.  She has about as much business giving any kind of health advice as Robyn has explaining how to define and contour a small chin.  Just shut up already!!

ALL. OF THIS. 

This apathetic, unsuccessful slob has no business telling women how to "cure" their PCOS. 

You're spot on with the "after losing 50 pounds, maybe come back and tell us" part. That's how it is supposed to work. But no, not for Janelle. She thinks she can fake and bumble her way into somehow appearing competent. 

• Love 11

From Strive with Janelle Facebook:

Today was one of those days.  My mom used to say “someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed”.  There was no real reason, I was just feeling overwhelmed, angsty, quick to annoyance etc.  Yes the 9/11 remembrance always brings me down a little, but this was more.  By the time 9:30 rolled around it had reached a 3 alarm fire stage of whatever feeling this was.  I decided to take the advice I always give everyone- go outside and move your body in nature.  As I gathered my stuff, even having to go all the way back in the house two times for things forgotten, I was trying hard to talk myself out of it.  Very hard.  I started driving to this larger urban park trail area we have nearby and I seriously thought about detouring to run and errand and call it good.  However I finally made it to the park and started walking.  My hips and legs were stiff from a weight lifting session on Wed and boy were they complaining.  But I kept walking.  After a few min I started to notice the small flowers by the trail, I lifted my head up and took in the hills, I began to notice the birds and heard their singing.  My mood slowly began to lift.  I reveled in the rhythm of my steps and how it felt for my sore muscles to begin to loosen.  Worth it!

63E63992-CAD9-443B-9F9E-DEA39159E367.jpeg

• Love 1

The fact that she tries so very hard to talk herself out of doing any form of exercise kind of negates the benefits of the exercise in the first place.  It's great that she does it but she most definitely does not want to, and if she hates it the entire time she's doing it, it's likely that the next time she WILL talk herself out of it.  If that's supposed to send a "if I can do it you can do it!" message to her followers, I don't think it works.

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

The fact that she tries so very hard to talk herself out of doing any form of exercise kind of negates the benefits of the exercise in the first place.  It's great that she does it but she most definitely does not want to, and if she hates it the entire time she's doing it, it's likely that the next time she WILL talk herself out of it.  If that's supposed to send a "if I can do it you can do it!" message to her followers, I don't think it works.

She has a terrible way with words and they are certainly not inspiring. Janelle, after this many years, ought to know that a brisk walk will help her sore muscles, yet she seemed surprised when the walk made her feel better.

And THAT^ is why she has no business in this business. 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Oh, blech.  They might taste fine but her photo makes them look just vile.  And hasn't she been getting those mystery boxes for a couple of years now?

I don't know if she has or hasn't, but it most CERTAINLY is not something new because of Covid.   Farmers in our state have been doing that for YEARS.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

I don't know if she has or hasn't, but it most CERTAINLY is not something new because of Covid.   Farmers in our state have been doing that for YEARS.

Not to defend Janelle or anything, but I think what she meant was that her CSA is giving out pre-packed boxes this year, vs. being able to go and pick what you want in your share.  We do a CSA; the first couple years it was "take what we give you and be gone!" but a couple years ago they switched to a system where they would tell you which, say, 8 items were available for farm share that week, and you could pick which 5 you wanted.  We liked it because we didn't get stuck with things we do not care for.  This year because of COVID we're back to the pre-packed boxes, so I've had to re-home an occasional eggplant (we hates them, precious), extra zucchini (hubs doesn't eat them and there's only so much I can put away myself), and in one case, half a cabbage after I made coleslaw from the rest of it (which hubs also doesn't eat).  I have a friend who has a large family, so I am known for showing up on her doorstep with random vegetables which she is always happy to put to use.  This year the local health department, which is a sponsor of the CSA, is also doing a meal kit thing...if you are a CSA member OR you buy the week's featured produce, you get a recipe card and a meal kit with all the rest of the ingredients you need for that week's recipe.  We're really enjoying that, and have made some great recipes that we may not have tried had we not gotten the meal kit.  They are all vegetarian recipes, but we are not above sneaking in some chicken, ground turkey, or sausage when the mood strikes 😉  This week is a spaghetti squash casserole, which is kind of like a baked pasta dish with mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, and cheese, with the spaghetti squash serving as the pasta.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 7

I think Janelle has gotten the CSA boxes in the past, but this time she said farmer's market.  She's shown photos regularly of her shopping there so I do think she means the farmer's market started prepared boxes because of COVID rather than the free shopping of stalls.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

I think Janelle has gotten the CSA boxes in the past, but this time she said farmer's market.  She's shown photos regularly of her shopping there so I do think she means the farmer's market started prepared boxes because of COVID rather than the free shopping of stalls.

It could be either; the farm that does our CSA also has a market each week during the CSA pickup time window.  They have "regular" shopping, but you are not allowed to touch the produce; you point and tell them how many/how much you want of a particular item, and the farm stand people bag and weigh for you.  Who knows, with Janelle!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

Still - we get a box of whatever they put into the box.  You never know what you are going to get - and that was years before Covid.  I'm just thinking that maybe that's something new THERE - but it's definitely not something they are doing HERE because of Covid.  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Absolom said:

Our CSA pick up (I've done 3 different ones) has always been at the Farmer's Market.  This was fabulous because I could pick up my "take what we give you and be gone!" (TM@Lovecat) boxes and shop for anything additional I wanted.  Personally I MUCH prefer the TWWGYABG (awkward abbreviation) arrangement precisely because I get things I am unfamiliar with using and likely would not buy of my own accord.  These unknowns have been mostly hits with only a few exceptions.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2