Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

50 minutes ago, sharkerbaby said:

Our CSA pick up (I've done 3 different ones) has always been at the Farmer's Market.  This was fabulous because I could pick up my "take what we give you and be gone!" (TM@Lovecat) boxes and shop for anything additional I wanted.  Personally I MUCH prefer the TWWGYABG (awkward abbreviation) arrangement precisely because I get things I am unfamiliar with using and likely would not buy of my own accord.  These unknowns have been mostly hits with only a few exceptions.

We have picked up extra stuff (especially things like apple cider, cider vinegar, and blueberry syrup, which the farm makes on-site) on many occasions!  Sometimes I have to restrain myself, though.  The blueberries may look nice, but if I've got a whole sack of pears and a cantaloupe in my CSA allotment, then that's going to be enough fruit for me for the week.  

• Love 3

I'm starting to think SoCal is the odd man out on CSAs.  The ones my kids and I have been in the boxes show up on the front porch.  

Whether she uses the vegies while fresh or not, Janelle is at least talking about and bringing attention to CSAs and farmers' markets which is a good thing.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

I'm starting to think SoCal is the odd man out on CSAs.  The ones my kids and I have been in the boxes show up on the front porch.  

Whether she uses the vegies while fresh or not, Janelle is at least talking about and bringing attention to CSAs and farmers' markets which is a good thing.  

Years and years, and years and years ago I lived in NorCal. My kids were toddlers and we belonged to a CSA. They delivered the boxes to our porch then. If I recall correctly, once a month members had to volunteer to pack the boxes. So not just a SoCal thing.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Is New a Mexico in the US?  Maybe it's a new secret Mormon state.

I was thinking the same thing, did I fall asleep and we gain a new state ?  Oh and Janelle, shut it with the nom nom nom,  that just sounds like she is shoveling it in and taking a breath between bites.

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Is New a Mexico in the US?  Maybe it's a new secret Mormon state.

It's a US southern border state between New a Arizona and New a Texas. I don't remember a whole lot from my geography classes but for some reason I do remember that. 

• LOL 14
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Hom skoolens ben gud to me

I lernt lots

Credit given where credit's due.  Janelle is the only one of the adults that speaks with clear, crisp diction and she also seems to organize her thoughts before she speaks.  The NOM NOM NOM drives me batty though, makes me think of a pig at a trough.

• LOL 4
  • Love 10

Could be worse, she could say "get into mah belly!!" like I've seen so many, many people do after taking carefully crafted pictures of their dinner and posting them on the ol' Insta.

Some days, there just aren't enough hoses to go around to spray these people off my lawn.

Edited by laurakaye
  • LOL 15
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Sandy W said:
4 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Hom skoolens ben gud to me

I lernt lots

Credit given where credit's due.  Janelle is the only one of the adults that speaks with clear, crisp diction and she also seems to organize her thoughts before she speaks.  The NOM NOM NOM drives me batty though, makes me think of a pig at a trough.

But that doesn't have anything to do with being educated.  That is more a matter of emulating those who raise you.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Could be worse, she could say "get into mah belly!!" like I've seen so many, many people do after taking carefully crafted pictures of their dinner and posting them on the ol' Insta.

Some days, there just aren't enough hoses to go around to spray these people off my lawn.

I think she's used that as a hashtag in the recent past.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I think it’s supposed to be “OM NOM NOM” but I really am not sure.  Didn’t that and “get in mah belly” come from Monsters Inc?
I agree that she seems to be well-spoken, comparatively.   But then, so does Robyn at times.  

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Meowwww said:

But then, so does Robyn at times.  

Robyn can be well spoken if she takes the time to compose herself before speaking, but look out when she gets all in her fillin's about a rennnall.

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

I asked a little while ago...I miss her too.  She could photoshop the BrownClowns so well, and give them a well-deserved hosing!

I truly hope she is okay.  I think of everyone on this forum often. May we all be safe.

• Love 13
7 hours ago, Meowwww said:

I think it’s supposed to be “OM NOM NOM” but I really am not sure.  Didn’t that and “get in mah belly” come from Monsters Inc?
I agree that she seems to be well-spoken, comparatively.   But then, so does Robyn at times.  

No it came from the second and third Austin Powers movies.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

No telephone poles or concrete road barriers this time, so that is an improvement over her usual shots from the car on the way home from buying junkfood, though it is just a random snap with no interesting focal point.  Why not wait for a bird or animal to come into view, or find a special tree to frame in the shot instead of two tree stumps.

• Love 8
On 9/25/2020 at 1:41 PM, laurakaye said:

"get in mah belly"... guilty over here... 😞

say it to mah dogs too when i feedz 'em... get in therr bellahs! nom nom nom🐕

can't help it... i love... mah belly

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

Yeah No.  I'm sure she doesn't have insurance.  So going to see the  gastro doctor is out of her price range at $160-$250 for an office visit without insurance.

I have acid reflux.  I take prevacid daily, if I didn't it would be a constant path of fire from my mouth down to my stomach.  The medication helps to lower the acid in your stomach which can cause digestion issues.  Had my gall bladder removed and that can also cause problems.  

Agree, if they are making as little as some people say they are, not sure how they are making all the payments every month.  It probably explains why everyone except Robyn is working.  There had to be cheaper places to live in Arizona/Nevada/Utah.

As a night worker I agree, leave the time alone.  Leave it on DST and stop moving it.  It causes me to have to work an extra hour when it falls back.  Plus it messes up your sleep and seems to take weeks to get acclimated to it.  I believe DST was originally started to save fuel and power during WW1.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

She certainly finds time to waste all this money on all her "rockstar" ingredients, many of which I know must have cost her a lot more than I would spend.

She could have seen a top tier GI doc with what she's wasted on crap that is growing mold in the back of her pantry.  For heaven's sake, you can get OTC meds for GERD now if that's what she has. I have to take the expensive stuff (Protonix) but it's been a miracle drug for me.

• Love 7

Most of her rock star ingredients, like cruciferous vegetables and red peppers swimming in oil, will turn up in as causing digestive issues in many people.  Better yet, search for a list of foods least likely to cause GI issues, and try one new rock star at a time to see if it makes things worse or not.

• Love 8

Where does Janelle think recipes came from before Starbucks? (homes). It only takes a couple of minutes to whip up eggs with bit of other things in them in on top of the stove, not 18.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 5
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Keep in mind that she also didn't know you could buy vegetables that don't come in a tin can.....

Including canned cabbage.  Not sauerkraut, canned cabbage!  And this mother of 6 thought that would be a sensible thing to feed to a 2 year old.

Good thing she worked long hours when her kids were little, bonus mom Christine's menus of tater tots and mock ravioli must have been kinder to their tender digestive systems.

• Love 6
On 9/28/2020 at 1:16 PM, ginger90 said:

A382F3CF-B640-4229-8135-23D7907F7E1C.jpeg

13995FDE-6312-4789-A765-E418681B2AF3.jpeg

They probably taste better than they look. I looked up some recipes and may try on a day off. Unlike Janelle, I'm sharing the link to the recipes: 

https://www.platingsandpairings.com/instant-pot-sous-vide-egg-bites-starbucks-copycat/

16 hours ago, CocoPuffs said:

Okay y’all don’t “egg” me, tee hee. But I make these all the time. Had them for breakfast this morning! They taste like a mini omelette. I love them. I also love gadgets, especially for the kitchen. So although the instant pot cuts cooking time on most dishes, it can end up being longer for some (like this one). I think it’s the allure of just being able to forget about it for a few minutes, I dunno. Egg bites are the cutest little food (I know that’s stupid, but they are). Janelle just really needs to start using stock photos.

Just saw this, I'm going to try them as well on a day off when I have time. Glad to hear they turn out good. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Someone asked for the recipe.........

Janelle’s reply:

I used the one in the package my molds came in.  But if google Starbucks egg bites you will find a lot of recipes 

She just doesn't grasp how to manage her social media account, does she?  You tell people your recipe.  You  post better pictures.  Sigh...

• Love 10

She was asked what she put in the apples:

I just mixed up oats, pecans, raisins and a little brown sugar.  Wetted it down with enough butter that it stuck together.  All and all if ended up being very little fat or added sugar per apple so I was pleased.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Janelle's pictures look anything but appetizing.

Has she ever mentioned a sister before?  Her mother we've seen, as she was one of Kootie's dad's wives.  But siblings?  I honestly don't remember any mention of siblings, or her bio dad, for that matter.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Has she ever mentioned a sister before?  Her mother we've seen, as she was one of Kootie's dad's wives.  But siblings?  I honestly don't remember any mention of siblings, or her bio dad, for that matter.

I believe her father passed away when she was around 3 years old.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Hints for Janelle: 

Your air fryer most likely came with a recipe book or at least a time chart that tells you how long to cook chicken - whole, half, quarter, etc.  I've been doing it for years, with only salt.  The skin provides all the fat you could ever need.  

Roasting apples concentrates its own sugars, you don't need to add more.

Simplicities like this make cooking a breeze, not a chore to put off for decades.  Is Gabe the only one in the family who knows how to use that elephant-in-the-room appliance, the stove?  Chicken and apples can be roasted in there too.

• Love 8
29 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

I have a very vague recollection of a conversation, maybe when all of the mothers visited one Mother's Day, that Janelle mentioned that there was conflict within her family when she and her mother split from the LDS church and embraced polygamy.  Maybe someone else can recall the details.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I picture Janelle wandering around her kitchen holding a box full of mysterious vegetables, wondering what to do with them...do they go in that big rectangle-shaped cold thing?  Do they go in the smaller rectangle-shaped really cold thing?  What about that big square thing that gets really hot when I push a button?  Or maybe that other thing that I can turn on and things come out hot but it doesn't take as long?

I mean has this woman ever eaten anything that didn't get handed to her from a window?  I am amazed that none of her kids have weight issues.

• LOL 6
  • Love 5