Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

Eons ago there was a family that rented the house next door to us.  They might have been polygamists as there was more than one wife-aged woman, but they kept to themselves and were VERY unfriendly and made it clear that they wanted to keep to themselves so we never asked.   Their kids played with our kids but they were really young - I think the oldest were around 3 or 4.   The guy was mean as heck to everyone.

After 2-3 years the family moved out.  The owners of the property hired someone from their church to come clean the place up for the next renters, and the people walked in - and they walked out without cleaning it.  The next thing we knew, some people came and removed ALL of the carpeting, rolled it up and hauled it away.  When I saw the owners' adult son (whom we knew) I chitchatted with him for a bit and then asked him what was going on.   He said that the house was complete infested with cockroaches - it was the worst case of infestation anyone had ever seen.  The people who were supposed to clean the house refused because I guess cockroach eggs can stick to the bottom of your shoes from the carpet and you can take it back to your own home.  I'm not sure how true that is, but that is what I was told.  He said that there were all of these open coffee cans full of bacon fat, and they think that's how this roach problem got out of control.

I was terrified that once they cleaned the house out that the roaches were going to travel over to our house - but it never happened. (THANK HEAVENS!)  And to this day I keep bacon grease in the fridge in a jar with a lid on it.  It would probably be fine in a cupboard with a tight-fitting lid.  We always used to keep Crisco unfridged.  Do they still make Crisco?

• Useful 5
  • Love 1

I make an all purpose cooking fat with 1/3 strained bacon fat, 1/3 unsalted butter and 1/3 EV Olive Oil.  I mix it together in a canning jar and keep it in the refrigerator.  It is firm, but a spoon scoops it easily and I use that to saute whatever needs it.

Yes, Crisco is still out there, but it is no longer the same formula.  After the 0 trans fat legislation took over all vegetable shortening was reformulated and now all of them are a blend of palm oil and vegetable oils.

...I have a soap formula that my skin absolutely loves that was made with the old vegetable shortening.  I have come close trying to reformulate, but not exactly...sigh...

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Eons ago there was a family that rented the house next door to us.  They might have been polygamists as there was more than one wife-aged woman, but they kept to themselves and were VERY unfriendly and made it clear that they wanted to keep to themselves so we never asked.   Their kids played with our kids but they were really young - I think the oldest were around 3 or 4.   The guy was mean as heck to everyone.

After 2-3 years the family moved out.  The owners of the property hired someone from their church to come clean the place up for the next renters, and the people walked in - and they walked out without cleaning it.  The next thing we knew, some people came and removed ALL of the carpeting, rolled it up and hauled it away.  When I saw the owners' adult son (whom we knew) I chitchatted with him for a bit and then asked him what was going on.   He said that the house was complete infested with cockroaches - it was the worst case of infestation anyone had ever seen.  The people who were supposed to clean the house refused because I guess cockroach eggs can stick to the bottom of your shoes from the carpet and you can take it back to your own home.  I'm not sure how true that is, but that is what I was told.  He said that there were all of these open coffee cans full of bacon fat, and they think that's how this roach problem got out of control.

I was terrified that once they cleaned the house out that the roaches were going to travel over to our house - but it never happened. (THANK HEAVENS!)  And to this day I keep bacon grease in the fridge in a jar with a lid on it.  It would probably be fine in a cupboard with a tight-fitting lid.  We always used to keep Crisco unfridged.  Do they still make Crisco?

As someone said they do make it but the container is paper not metal so you cannot pour hot Bacon grease in it. Ask me how I know!

• LOL 7
2 hours ago, Roslyn said:

I make an all purpose cooking fat with 1/3 strained bacon fat, 1/3 unsalted butter and 1/3 EV Olive Oil.  I mix it together in a canning jar and keep it in the refrigerator.  It is firm, but a spoon scoops it easily and I use that to saute whatever needs it.

Yes, Crisco is still out there, but it is no longer the same formula.  After the 0 trans fat legislation took over all vegetable shortening was reformulated and now all of them are a blend of palm oil and vegetable oils.

...I have a soap formula that my skin absolutely loves that was made with the old vegetable shortening.  I have come close trying to reformulate, but not exactly...sigh...

I'm trying that!  I bet it provides a lovely flavor backdrop for pretty much everything.  Curious though, none of those need to be refrigerated so do you do that to keep it from separating perhaps?  All have different melting points so on the counter butter may be soft but solid, bacon fat would be semi-solid, and EVO would be liquid.  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, CocoPuffs said:

Actually they do. I bought some on a whim one time and if I wasn’t too lazy, I’d snap a pic of the jar in my fridge. It’s like a mayo-type jar. Anywho, I bought it to season greens and beans, but I keep forgetting about it. I’m pretty sure it keeps a long time though. It was kind of pricey [to me] and they stocked it near the fancy oils and butters, like duck fat and truffle butter.

Good to know.  Thanks.  Although I doubt I can get Instacart to deliver it.  I've never seen it on the list.

34 minutes ago, Absolom said:

If Amazon's price is anything to go by, store bought bacon fat is pricey:

https://smile.amazon.com/Bacon-Up-Grease-Rendered-Cooking/dp/B07RDYQSGP/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=bacon+fat&qid=1598139783&sr=8-2

With Janelle it's tough to tell if she'd fry bacon for it so she could have the bacon or if she'd buy it, use a few tablespoons, and then forget she has it.

Doesn't Janelle put bacon (and ranch dressing) on almost everything?  That's a serious question.  It seems like she is always adding bacon to her concoctions.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Roslyn said:

I'm making this too!

Growing up we had a white enamel tin with a lid with  red trim (6" x 5" x 3" tall). It sat on the counter and held bacon fat. When my Mom passed in '88, I made sure that I brought that home with me. I do keep the fat in the refrigerator now though. I'm going to make your mix and keep it in my precious tin.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Can you freeze bacon grease?  I would buy a tub of it to make the mixture with butter and olive oil, if I could freeze the bacon grease.  I won't use it very often.  I really know nothing about it.

OK. I found an answer to my own question.  One suggestion was to freeze it in ice cube trays so you have a small amount when you need it.  The article said it can be frozen up to a year.  Who knew?  I'm learning more than I ever thought about bacon grease!  Thanks. Janelle.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

I've never had boiled peanuts either but I can't imagine that popping a few in your mouth equates to a "big food experiment."

Although, with Janelle's digestion issues, I guess you never know...

Boiled peanuts are an acquired taste.  I tried them while traveling through the southern states, you will often see individuals attending to a huge vat of boiling peanuts, but the appeal for them escapes me.  

A little further down the road, you could find someone with a pecan set up and a machine to crack the shells.  Now that's another story!  So Good!

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
54 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

I've never had boiled peanuts either but I can't imagine that popping a few in your mouth equates to a "big food experiment."

Why is trying something new always a “big food experiment” for Janelle? I try new things often and rarely feel the need to announce it. I mean, seriously who needs to hear this: “Guys! I’m trying okra a different way today to see if I can make it less slimy”, cared no one ever.  

• LOL 8
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Why is trying something new always a “big food experiment” for Janelle? I try new things often and rarely feel the need to announce it. I mean, seriously who needs to hear this: “Guys! I’m trying okra a different way today to see if I can make it less slimy”, cared no one ever.  

I think that's the scourge of social media.  People seem to think their every thought or action is of interest to the world. Seriously, it is not. I don't care where you shop or what you eat or what color you are painting a room or how your digestion is doing.

We've become a population of verbal diarrhea.  Just shut up already.

• LOL 2
  • Love 17

Janelle is soo brave to try peach pie! Oh, she meant the boiled peanuts. Those things are vile and I grew up in the south. I will never understand who invented those and why.

Janelle is evidently lonely and she imagines she has lots of friends online with whom to converse. I don't think that's working out so well for her. 

And if it isn't posted online it didn't happen so I'm finding out.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, sharkerbaby said:

I'm trying that!  I bet it provides a lovely flavor backdrop for pretty much everything.  Curious though, none of those need to be refrigerated so do you do that to keep it from separating perhaps?  All have different melting points so on the counter butter may be soft but solid, bacon fat would be semi-solid, and EVO would be liquid.  

17 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I'm making this too!

Growing up we had a white enamel tin with a lid with  red trim (6" x 5" x 3" tall). It sat on the counter and held bacon fat. When my Mom passed in '88, I made sure that I brought that home with me. I do keep the fat in the refrigerator now though. I'm going to make your mix and keep it in my precious tin.

I'll take my response over to small talk...

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

That is good info, and I will freeze some, but I like the combo mix of fats for sautéing, maybe they can be frozen in ice cube trays too?

You can freeze bacon grease in ice cube trays, but it doesn't pop out cleanly and cleaning fat off plastic never seems to work well; even in the dishwasher not all is removed.   I prefer to freeze it in jelly-sized or 500ml mason jars and then pull out one to keep on the counter or in the fridge.  Much easier cleanup and you can get the last bit out of the jar by nuking it and pouring it out.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

I have a container that looks like this for storing bacon fat.  https://www.amazon.com/Aulett-Home-Grease-Container-Strainer/dp/B077D7RDJV/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=bacon+grease+container&qid=1598229271&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzUVVWS0xLVVREVFYwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjE4NDE0Mk1QRUI4WDRLUERPUCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTI5NjAyTzdaTzFPNjZJM0VHJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

well, bother, it didn't show up. it is a metal container with a mesh strainer.   I collect bacon grease and cook pancakes in it; then serve with pure cane syrup.  Delish!!!

Is Flagstaff on Mountain time or Pacific?   I usually have no trouble with a time change of 2 zones. 

If she is going to keep posting food pictures, she really needs to read a few articles about presentation.  Her food usually looks gross.

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I have a container that looks like this for storing bacon fat.  https://www.amazon.com/Aulett-Home-Grease-Container-Strainer/dp/B077D7RDJV/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=bacon+grease+container&qid=1598229271&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzUVVWS0xLVVREVFYwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjE4NDE0Mk1QRUI4WDRLUERPUCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTI5NjAyTzdaTzFPNjZJM0VHJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

well, bother, it didn't show up. it is a metal container with a mesh strainer.   I collect bacon grease and cook pancakes in it; then serve with pure cane syrup.  Delish!!!

Is Flagstaff on Mountain time or Pacific?   I usually have no trouble with a time change of 2 zones. 

If she is going to keep posting food pictures, she really needs to read a few articles about presentation.  Her food usually looks gross.

I have a white stoneware version as my grease keeper.

16 minutes ago, deirdra said:

Mountain time

Keep in mind that they do not observe daylight saving time.  They are on standard time year round which makes it more complicated to figure out!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Keep in mind that they do not observe daylight saving time.  They are on standard time year round which makes it more complicated to figure out!

Right.  So it is Mountain time in Winter, but the same as Pacific time in Summer.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Sounds like Janelle grew up eating general food, Not sure what type of food is standard in the Mormon Utah community.  Probably a lot like the polygamist Mormon community.  I guess most of us eat what is in the area of the country in which we live.  I grew up in Texas so we had a lot of southern food.  Mustard green's  for example with,  Bacon Grease!!!!!!!!! for seasoning.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Sounds like Janelle grew up eating general food, Not sure what type of food is standard in the Mormon Utah community.  

I suspect most of Janelle's food came out of #10 cans.  At one point she had a side-job at a Mormon "Cannery" selling truckloads of canned & boxed food to those who keep 1-year's worth of food stocked at all times.  So as not to waste food, they eat the oldest stock so it doesn't go bad.  That is probably why she overcooks a lot of veggies in lots of fat, so they are mushy, like the canned food she is used to.  Spices & herbs & fresh vegetables are all new to her; she is learning about them ~30 years later than most of us did.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I miss living in AZ because they did not change their clocks. Clocks changing twice a year needs to stop. It doesn't "save" anything, it merely changes the perception of time. It's just as easy to change one's schedule versus forcing everyone to change their clocks. 

• Love 9
49 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

I miss living in AZ because they did not change their clocks. Clocks changing twice a year needs to stop. It doesn't "save" anything, it merely changes the perception of time. It's just as easy to change one's schedule versus forcing everyone to change their clocks. 

I do not think I have ever met anyone that likes or sees the need for daylight saving time. Except maybe golfers. I do not care which one they choose, but just stick with one or the other. This bouncing back-and-forth is ridiculous.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

I think part of the reason they do this is for the safety of kids.  In the winter I see young kids walking to the bus stops (we have two different schools drop off and pick up near me) and it is still pitch black.  They change the clocks and it is much lighter - and maybe a creep would feel less hidden if he grabbed some kid.  At least that's what I tell myself when I change my clocks.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I do not think I have ever met anyone that likes or sees the need for daylight saving time. Except maybe golfers. I do not care which one they choose, but just stick with one or the other. This bouncing back-and-forth is ridiculous.

I like it. I love it every spring. It means in my perception the days are getting longer and my depression lifts.

Edited by OdinO.
  • Useful 3
  • Love 10
On 8/21/2020 at 10:47 PM, DakotaJustice said:

Another winner from the Jelly Belly Ayurvedic Eating Coach.  Bacon grease AND butter??

Look!  Look at all the pretty veggies and beans I'm eating!  Super healthy, right?  Greens, tomatoes, beans....yum!  And great for my digestion, which I don't even need to tell you about because you ALL know by now, hahaha!  But...to be honest I found it a little bit bland.  I was too tired to hit the Googles today to see if I could add some of the contents of my pantry to it to make it taste better (ghee, nutmeg, peppermint tea....I mean that stuff is getting DUSTY, LOL)!  So I cooked a pound of bacon (and ate it), saved the grease and poured it over the top.  Better, but let's be real - butter makes everything better!  So I added a stick.  Stirred it up and it was fantastic!  Okay, gotta go.....and I do mean GO!  That darn digestion, it gets me EVERY time and I'm not sure why.....anywho, until next time!  Keep Striving!  

• LOL 14
18 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

So what happens in the fall when it gets dark before dinner?  

I have to think that Janelle will cease trying to Strive and instead regale her followers with how she was gonna do yoga but got too busy, or she was gonna cook a good dinner but the store was all out of kale, etc.  Janelle already seems to have some pretty strong depressive tendencies, and as someone who is similarly affected in the winter by SAD, it's extremely easy to talk yourself out of going for a walk and eating a salad when you really just want to crawl under a blanket and eat Doritos.  It would be fantastic if, rather than give out increasingly useless advice as the season progresses towards winter, she actually sought help herself and maybe passed on some advice that might actually be helpful.  But she won't.  What she will do is pass on excuses.  Which serves no one, least of all herself.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

So what happens in the fall when it gets dark before dinner?  

I hibernate. 

Just now, OdinO. said:

I hibernate. Even without that change it gets dark before dinner in the winter.

• Love 2
On 8/23/2020 at 8:41 AM, LilWharveyGal said:

As someone who had never had them until moving to Georgia where apparently, they are all the rage, it's definitely a "big food experiment" and one I regret ever trying.  I'm sure someone will disagree, but O.M.G. they are awful.  Words can't describe how awful they were. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, Steff said:

As someone who had never had them until moving to Georgia where apparently, they are all the rage, it's definitely a "big food experiment" and one I regret ever trying.  I'm sure someone will disagree, but O.M.G. they are awful.  Words can't describe how awful they were. 

I'm not going to try them, but...for anyone that has tried boiled peanuts, what are they like?  Is it similar to the difference between raw raisins and raisins that are baked into something?  So the peanuts get squishy?  They don't sound at all appetizing.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

I'm not going to try them, but...for anyone that has tried boiled peanuts, what are they like?  Is it similar to the difference between raw raisins and raisins that are baked into something?  So the peanuts get squishy?  They don't sound at all appetizing.  

imaging crunchy roasted peanuts cooked until they have the texture of canned green peas. 

• Love 2
On 8/22/2020 at 10:25 AM, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Yes, it makes the cornbread taste better.

Not when you’re a vegetarian, lol. I’ve moved from Chicago to Atlanta, and half the veggies these people make seem to have ham or bacon.  One restaurant had a great deal where you can select three to four veggie dishes for you’re meal.  They were nice enough to asterisk those that aren’t vegetarian. Even the pilaf wasn’t safe. I kept thinking - meat eaters have a huge menu of meat available, why are my veggie options cut in half to accommodate them?  🤔

• Love 7
13 hours ago, ginger90 said:

1953BD00-6DB0-4A62-99CF-94DF8BE3BCA4.jpeg

Accountability group from our favorite sloth? This ought to be good 😆😂

Ok Janelle, here's accountable: I'm up at 5 so I can run between 6-7 to be to work by 8. Then, on my hour-long lunch, I go to the gym and work out again (because an hour is too long for me to do nothing) and then I have a protein shake. On my days off from the one job, I do fieldwork which involves walking all day. 

Janelle's version: "I don't know about you guys, but I ate something green today." 

Edited to Add: Restricted access gym. not public (felt the need to explain given there's a pandemic going on). 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, AryasMum said:

Not when you’re a vegetarian, lol. I’ve moved from Chicago to Atlanta, and half the veggies these people make seem to have ham or bacon.  One restaurant had a great deal where you can select three to four veggie dishes for you’re meal.  They were nice enough to asterisk those that aren’t vegetarian. Even the pilaf wasn’t safe. I kept thinking - meat eaters have a huge menu of meat available, why are my veggie options cut in half to accommodate them?  🤔

There are more people who eat meat and they like vegetables too. I love green beans cooked with country ham. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Growing up in Indiana (before they changed to Eastern time) I had the same experience.  It was great. 

• Useful 1