Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

Oh lord, that contraption has been around for a very long time. I bought one maybe 10 years ago. Yes Janelle put potato peels, grass clippings, and compost in it for fabulous tea!

But it's not a "rockstar" it seems.

Edited by Chicklet
  • LOL 15
  • Love 1

This woman has no clue how to coach nor market herself as a competent coach.  I don't know how anyone can take her seriously. Looking at her website, her last blog post was in 2018, she has no mission statement, no vision statement, no statement on how she can help you improve yourself, but you can get apparel and swag! 🙄 In fact, there are two links for apparel! 😄 And she had to make sure to let everyone know she's certified by a school that has a 2 start rating from the BBB and apparently is not accredited. The only people paying for her services are her sychophant, ass kisser fans who hope to form some type a warped bond with this woman by paying her for half assed coaching. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, VegasVixen said:

This woman has no clue how to coach nor market herself as a competent coach.  I don't know how anyone can take her seriously. Looking at her website, her last blog post was in 2018, she has no mission statement, no vision statement, no statement on how she can help you improve yourself, but you can get apparel and swag! 🙄 In fact, there are two links for apparel! 😄 And she had to make sure to let everyone know she's certified by a school that has a 2 start rating from the BBB and apparently is not accredited. The only people paying for her services are her sychophant, ass kisser fans who hope to form some type a warped bond with this woman by paying her for half assed coaching. 

100% agree. She is a follower in the health business and has not demonstrated enough competence or confidence to inspire people (except her fans from the show). Even the way Janelle writes is tentative--regarding her love for tea the past few weeks, she guesses, "maybe it's because it's getting colder". It's typically "maybe", "I don't know about you guys", showing surprise at something many of use have known for years and other such statements that indicate a lack of understanding. 

Janelle needs to make improvements and gain confidence, then get back to us. I feel empathy for her struggles, but it stops short because she's trying to charge people for half-assed "advice". She sucks at her side hustle and doesn't seem to comprehend how she comes across. 

• Love 10

Her tea contraption made me think of this amazing tea cup I have.  I got one as a gift for my birthday last year.

It has become my favorite mug.

It has a metal strainer, a lid to keep the tea warm (and then set the strainer on), and the sides are thick so the heat doesn't transfer to your hands too much. Also comes in many beautiful colors and designs. I'm thinking of getting one for a friend this Christmas.

https://www.teaforte.com/store/tea-accessories/kati-steeping-cup/hanami/

• Love 4

I make tea in my 40-yr-old brown betty.  It is thick porcelain, not plastic, so retains heat well without exuding toxins, and a quilted tea cozy keeps it warm even longer. I'm not a health coach, but have always found warm fluids help me feel warm and cozy in winter. Herbal & berry teas have also been around for decades.  I keep a variety on hand as they make a nice-tasting pick-me-up or warm-me-up or dessert with zero calories. In summer, I make hot tea, have a cup hot and pour the rest into a mason jar and put it in the fridge for a cool drink later.

• Love 7

It looks like the bike is IN the christmas tree. She self-owns every post she makes and I don't know how she doesn't recognize her own communication failures and never improves. It's her actual business, for lack of a better term, but she's just clueless.

• Love 13
20 hours ago, ginger90 said:

62FE3375-7541-4F1A-BECC-5DB3017165BF.jpeg

F7A9CE0E-E6DA-443D-B281-BD14FD66F084.jpeg

E031276B-A92F-4540-AA71-EF0ABC17CD1A.jpeg

It makes for so much more interesting conversation at Christmas parties: 

Guest: "So, how long do you have to stay on that thing to burn off this dinner?"

Janelle: "3 days, but my brain tells me 20 minutes."

• LOL 9
On 11/19/2020 at 7:46 PM, ChristmasJones said:

Her tea contraption made me think of this amazing tea cup I have.  I got one as a gift for my birthday last year.

It has become my favorite mug.

It has a metal strainer, a lid to keep the tea warm (and then set the strainer on), and the sides are thick so the heat doesn't transfer to your hands too much. Also comes in many beautiful colors and designs. I'm thinking of getting one for a friend this Christmas.

https://www.teaforte.com/store/tea-accessories/kati-steeping-cup/hanami/

That's a gorgeous mug/infuser set up.  I use a similar infuser that fits in both my small tea pot and my tea mugs.  I also have a large tea pot infuser for when I brew a whole standard pot and then pour it into my insulated carafe.

I have a large collection of tea mugs...most I have made but some are ones I have bought from my favorite potters.  Sometimes after a kiln firing a piece that is intended for inventory just speaks to you and you have to make it your own 😊

As for the topic...what does Janelle mean by "It makes conversation more interesting" after just saying that the only people who see her bike are just "friends and family who don't care..."

I still don't understand what kind of person it takes to hang on her every word and then PAY her for her advise...

• Love 6
2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Guest: "So, how long do you have to stay on that thing to burn off this dinner?"

I don't know what's more comical. The idea that Janelle hosts parties (even pre-pandemic) or the idea that she does any meaningful work on that bike.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

After a big holiday meal, many families relax with board games or a friendly card game.  At Janelle's house, she pops on a disc of Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree and all can enjoy the spectacle of Janelle striving to lose the poundage she has gained.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Janelle takes a photo that makes it look like the bike is in the tree, then has to explain that it is really 2' from the tree.  Is that what she means by a "conversation starter"?  Why not take a photo from a better angle? Or is she so starved for conversation that anything will do?  

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, the-grey-lady said:

I notice she didn't say she actually USES the bike...

Apparently not even as a laundry-drying rack.  That would require putting clothes in the washer.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 5

I decided over a year ago to move my bike into the living room (it took her a year because it got lost under a pile of dirty laundry in her bedroom...she also found fourteen empty Frito bags and a dead goldfish).  The main gathering room of the house. (if by "gathering" she means herself and her dogs).  Yes it's a little awkward and maybe looks weird (it only looks weird since it appears to be placed literally inside the tree itself), but in the long run the only people who would see it are friends and family who just don't care ("would" being the operative word here...people would see it if any people came over but you're right, they don't care).  Moving it has enabled a great deal more consistency for me (she consistently stubs her toe on it as she passes it to head to the kitchen to make potato peel and spiced ghee tea).  As it takes up a chunk of space it is often tucked into corners (Huh?  So it's often tucked into corners?  Does it occupy a smaller chunk of space if it's in a corner?). This year with holiday decorating, it has ended up right next to the Christmas tree (why she couldn't rearrange the room so she's not knocking ornaments off the tree with her knee and sweating on the gifts while she rides the bike is a mystery).  It isn't as close as it looks in the picture, there is a couple of feet between them actually (if you need to quantify this stupid picture with an explanation of how your room is laid out, perhaps you should take the picture from another angle so it doesn't look....you know what, never mind).  Weird, yes. FUN, yes! (if shattering ornaments is fun while exercising, then yes - it's FUN).  My scenery is the Christmas tree lights! (If scenery is what you're after, wouldn't it be more scenic to set the bike across from the tree?  You can't rilly see the lights when they're wrapped around your head).  So You do You. (Putting an exercise bike in a living room is rilly not that groundbreaking, but whatev).  Do whatever  " weird " thing keeps you moving, keeps you healthy (if you listen closely you can hear my English degree weeping).  Besides, being different pays off in other ways.  It makes for so much more interesting conversation at parties. (what parties??  Do people come over and gather around the ol' exercise bike and sing Christmas carols?  Plus you shouldn't be having parties right now anyway, you moron!)

/rant

• LOL 12
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, ginger90 said:

AAE358B2-A84B-4CBC-B1C3-D1FDCB77A179.jpeg

2A2515F3-6C00-4E86-8F6E-7A7F68A83C7A.jpeg

Not going to lie, I'm kind of a pie for breakfast type of person.  We are going to have our Thanksgiving Saturday.  So I will have 3 different pies to choose from.  I had a slice of the mincemeat yesterday, will have pumpkin, pecan and chocolate chip pecan.  I might have one of each.

• Love 8

I'm not a morning person. I can get up early - but don't expect much from me for awhile. Pie for breakfast fills the bill nicely, so does pizza if it's only a day or two old. 

I made a big pot of pasta fazool last week and had it for breakfast the 4 mornings that it lasted. And I'm big on having breakfast for dinner.

But very little beats pie for breakfast. It's a good thing that I'm single, I wouldn't wish me on anybody.

• LOL 1
  • Love 14

I've had pie for breakfast a few times, too.  The difference?  I don't try to sell myself as a coach for fitness.

I suppose Janelle is being honest here, and that's worth something?  At least she didn't post how she rode her bike for 2 hours burning it off.

• Love 12

I just had some pumpkin puree (pure pumpkin) with a sliver of butter, a couple of drops of liquid stevia & some pumpkin pie spices warmed up in the microwave.  Pumpkin pie without the guilt.  I divide a can of puree into small jelly jars and freeze them so I can pull one out at a time for dessert or breakfast. I nuke & eat it right out of the jelly jar.

• Useful 6
  • Love 4

Does it irrationally bother anyone else that Janelle seems to think you need a space after a quotation mark, which in her post above caused a random quote to float to the next line?  Just me, then?

OK, here's another one:  That pink...erect...handle...thing?  On the bike frame?  I mean.  I'm sure it has some legit function, but my brain went in a different direction and then threw up inside my skull.

• LOL 7
56 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

OK, here's another one:  That pink...erect...handle...thing?  On the bike frame?  I mean.  I'm sure it has some legit function, but my brain went in a different direction and then threw up inside my skull.

You made me look!  It appears to be the tension adjuster on the fly wheel strap, probably set at zero resistance so she's just spinning the pedals and calling it 'exercise'.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

When I took my first typing class in 1969, I learned to space twice after a period.  I still do it, even though I notice a lot of posts with a single space!  

I didn't even notice the pink thingk you mention...now I've got to go back and look!  

ETA:  @deirdra, thanks for that explanation.  We know Janelle would not want to ride a real bike uphill.  Her face looks like a tomato after a short stroll.

Edited by xwordfanatik
add a comment
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

When I took my first typing class in 1969, I learned to space twice after a period.  I still do it, even though I notice a lot of posts with a single space!  

And I learned (1967 - typing was the most useful elective I took in high school and has been a godsend for my entire life but I digress) to put a double space after a colon or semicolon.  Now Microsoft Word scolds me for that.

3 hours ago, Lovecat said:

Ewwwwww!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 11/11/2020 at 6:54 AM, Pickleinthemiddle said:

My mom and I are the only ones in our family that like mincemeat pie.  She will make one for Thanksgiving, with the Borden Nonesuch mincemeat filling.  I looked at the ingredients and it does have some meat in it, but it is one of the last few on the list.  Making mince meat from scratch is time consuming which is why few people attempt to make it.

I dated a guy whose grandmother's (or great-grandmother's? I forget) recipe is on that container. He was a big fan and I hadn't had it, so I tried it when he made it. It was...interesting.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Lovecat said:

Does it irrationally bother anyone else that Janelle seems to think you need a space after a quotation mark, which in her post above caused a random quote to float to the next line?  Just me, then?

In the tea post she has a space between the word and a comma more than once, and has a space after a word before a smiley emoji, but then no space after the smiley before the next sentence.

Her lack of any thought before she actually writers and lack of even a quick reread of her things before she posts is evident. All. The. Time. I'm not sure why she thinks anyone will take her seriously when both her content and delivery are so clearly lacking any effort or true thought!

• Love 3
17 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

I always double-space after a period and I always will, even though my kids call me a dinosaur because of it.  Single-spacing is apparently the new thing to save the motion of double-spacing when texting - like double-spacing will cause someone's thumb to fall off or something, I don't know.  Technology already took away the typewriter and the card catalog!  It will NOT take away my double-spacing!

As for Janelle's pie, where's the crust?  That's the best part.

• Love 9

Janelle probably does everything on her phone; with her fingers and eyesight it is probably hard to see and correct misplaced spaces.  That is why I use a computer keyboard & mouse to type and edit most things, and certainly everything that I expect to be paid for.  Two spaces between sentences makes things much easier to read, but Ms. Go-google-it-yourself couldn't care less about her readers.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 8
11 minutes ago, CocoPuffs said:

Lol, I’m a one-space-after-a-sentence kind of gal. Learned that in college as a journalism student. It was originally implemented to save type space. 

Agreed. A big issue I have with Janelle and most “influencers” is the lack of excellence in their work, for lack of a better term. I mean, they’re making buttloads of money (okay, maybe only a couple of bucks for Janelle), but put in some effort. Show that you care. After all, it’s a reflection on you. Crappy photos (as well as overly edited photos - ahem, Meri), bad writing, misspelled words. Not a good look to me at all. It says you are fake, don’t care and just want the clicks and money. 

It is not the same as us commenting on a message board. And I don’t know why I can’t quite these people. 😜

I can't quite them, either!  

It would be interesting to see their financials.  I doubt Janelle would be the size she is if this train wreck of a fambly was good at managing their money and didn't make such dumb decisions "from Day One."

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

I can't quite them, either!  

It would be interesting to see their financials.  I doubt Janelle would be the size she is if this train wreck of a fambly was good at managing their money and didn't make such dumb decisions "from Day One."

Something tells me that all the decision making regarding money is up to Kody.

• Love 2

Quite the Browns?  Why, I'd rather give up Street Taco Tuesdays!  

I would also love to see their financials.  I just re-watched the ep where Mariah cries and pouts and whines that she will accept no other college save the vaunted Westminster for her studies (incidentally, her reasoning demonstrated a spot-on cleverness on how to rationalize with the Great Kody Brown and his wifeys by stating that if she was going to live plyg (ha) she certainly wasn't going to land a man who wanted multiple wives if she went to UNLV, so hand over my college fund, pops) but Kody - in a rare moment of lucidity - states that as far as college goes, they are a zero-debt family and I about spit my coffee clean across the room.  So it's cool for the adults to get in so deep that at one point they had nine mortgage payments but as for his kids, he's all NO LOANZ!  NOOOOO!  LOANS!!!1!!  You must work and get JOBBBB!

I sometimes wonder if his grown kids watch these episodes back and see how incredibly inept their parents were at managing money.  But then I think no, they lived it once already and likely have no desire to live it again...although I still look forward to Truely's tell-all book in about 10 years.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

They were a "zero debt family" at the time because they skipped town once a year to escape their debts (they're in at least their 6th different state).  Much harder now that everything is digital.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, CocoPuffs said:

Agreed. A big issue I have with Janelle and most “influencers” is the lack of excellence in their work, for lack of a better term. I mean, they’re making buttloads of money (okay, maybe only a couple of bucks for Janelle), but put in some effort

I read that an influencer can make $20 - 30K on a single "story" or post advertising a product. As you say, not Janelle (she doesn't have enough followers, and she doesn't endorse products). But someone with, say 1 million followers (such as a former Bachelor contestant or one of the Flip or Flop couple, or someone popular on instagram from 90Day Fiance, yes. The crazy thing is those people say they "work in marketing" and people think they work for a company, when in fact they work for themselves and promote products they are paid handsomely to promote. There is a whole field of Influencer marketing now -- people who advise newly-minted influencers on how best to monetize their instagram posts, who hook them up with companies relevant to their "brand" and so forth. I find this really interesting. The guy who calls himself Doggface208 is a remarkable example. He filmed himself on a skateboard lipsynching to "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac while drinking cranberry juice and unlocked a goldmine.

The Kody Brown family -- wives and young adults -- could potentially do the same thing, on a lesser scale due to fewer followers, if they had the business savvy or hired a smart consultant. They could get a bounce from the next season. But they don't seem to know how to go about it.  Mariah at one point seemed to be heading in this direction when she advertised an exercise clothing brand, but she abandoned that for "woke SJW" rants. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

I find this really interesting. The guy who calls himself Doggface208 is a remarkable example. He filmed himself on a skateboard lipsynching to "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac while drinking cranberry juice and unlocked a goldmine.

I...he....what?!??

That's it, it's official.  I'm putting electric fencing around my entire lawn - after I film myself riding my bike drinking a margarita and lipsynching to "Hangin' Tough."

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
On 11/30/2020 at 2:25 PM, Teafortwo said:

The guy who calls himself Doggface208 is a remarkable example. He filmed himself on a skateboard lipsynching to "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac while drinking cranberry juice and unlocked a goldmine.

I wonder if he got a big fine if he used "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac without paying the licensing fee.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I...he....what?!??

That's it, it's official.  I'm putting electric fencing around my entire lawn - after I film myself riding my bike drinking a margarita and lipsynching to "Hangin' Tough."

If it goes viral on TikTok (which I don't have) you'll be set for life! ;-p. (whether you like it or not.

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, deirdra said:

I wonder if he got a big fine if he used "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac without paying the licensing fee.

On TikTok you don't need permission. It seems to be all people doing silly things to music. You don't need an acct to view it. Dreams soared to the top 10 when the clip went viral. Mick Fleetwood was so grateful, he met with the Doggface guy. The latter has also made a commercial with Snoop Dog and will likely appear on the Superbowl half time show. He made the vid in Sept when his truck broke down on the way to work. He already had a decent following on TikTok but nothing close to the 3 million people he has now. (Sorry to veer so far off-tooic.) I still maintain that some combo of Gwen Ysabel and Truely could do something similar - for example if they ran the clip of Ysabel jumping on the Christmas tree with music and put it on Tik instead of Instagram. It's so dumb but gleeful it could go viral.

• Useful 3
21 hours ago, CocoPuffs said:

#NKOTB 4-Eva!! 😂🤣

OG Jon-girl here.  Swoooooooon. 😉

15 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

If it goes viral on TikTok (which I don't have) you'll be set for life! ;-p. (whether you like it or not.

I've logged into TikTok twice - both times I scrolled a bit, got frustrated when I couldn't figure out how to watch the second part of a two-part video, questioned my life choices and deleted the app.  Clearly I am at the age where it's just not worth the time to care about the latest and newest trend.  And I'm cool with that.

• Love 12