Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

I have to say "Thank you "to this forum.  I don't watch this program except for a few of the first episodes so I know who most of the people are.  But I  read this forum practically every day.   I was watching  a news program and the commentator said "dilling" a couple of times.  I had to rewind because I didn't understand until I remembered the great commentary here.  Thanks again.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Did anyone catch tonight's Call The Midwife

Absolutely.  And lots of discussion on that forum about the polygamy story line.  Christine would have been horrified since she "didn't know men could be such bastards".

Hi all...just wanted to ask a question...I am in UK and maybe we do not see all episodes.  OK..Meri and Kody  ( official marriage)  divorced...Kody and Robyn marry...(official wedding) ...sooo   where does that leave Meri ?? Did they have a polygamy wedding which would make her  a wife the same as Christine  and Jannelle  or are they not "Married" at all???  

(edited)
31 minutes ago, MistyMeg said:

Hi all...just wanted to ask a question...I am in UK and maybe we do not see all episodes.  OK..Meri and Kody  ( official marriage)  divorced...Kody and Robyn marry...(official wedding) ...sooo   where does that leave Meri ?? Did they have a polygamy wedding which would make her  a wife the same as Christine  and Jannelle  or are they not "Married" at all???  

It seems that Meri is floating out there in limbo land.  They did not show a "spiritual wedding/commitment" and if it did occur, it may have been so sacred, as Janelle describes their uniting, that it wasn't shown.

It seems unlikely that such an event took place as the Brown's seldom miss an opportunity to drag out the feather boas and engage in madcap frivolity.  There was of course no official legal divorce party and the Kody/Robyn official wedding was also low key and only alluded to on the show, but I don't recall it being shown, only recall Kody telling Meri that she wasn't welcome to attend.

Edited by Sandy W
  • Love 4

Would the spiritual marriage have taken place at the same time as the original legal marriage?  That would seem the reasonable time to me.  Of course, reasonable isn't their strong point.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Sandy W said:

It seems unlikely that such an event took place as the Brown's seldom miss an opportunity to drag out the feather boas and engage in madcap frivolity. 

Maybe Kody didn't think it was worth the effort to get out his ladder and string up the lights all across the cult-de-sac.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

It seems that Meri is floating out there in limbo land.  They did not show a "spiritual wedding/commitment" and if it did occur, it may have been so sacred, as Janelle describes their uniting, that it wasn't shown.

It seems unlikely that such an event took place as the Brown's seldom miss an opportunity to drag out the feather boas and engage in madcap frivolity.  There was of course no official legal divorce party and the Kody/Robyn official wedding was also low key and only alluded to on the show, but I don't recall it being shown, only recall Kody telling Meri that she wasn't welcome to attend.

Assuming Meri and Kody were already "spiritually united" at the point of their legal marriage, I'm guessing they would still be considered married. I'm going to assume that was the case. If K&M needed to "remarry" post-divorce, I'm sure they wouldn't have passed up the chance to write a new family mission statement and force 200 of their closest friends to listen to them read it out loud.

• Love 7

Bountiful is the sect that would trade young girls as brides with Warren Jeffs group before he went off to prison.  To help keep blood lines from mixing too much.  Unlike the Kingston group that purposefully mixes close blood lines.

• Love 3

I have to admit, before watching Sister Wives I kind of thought the idea of having a second wife was intriguing.  However, none of the poly-shows have happy wives. The guys seem to enjoy it, but all of the wives seem bitter, jealous, and depressed. Totally changed my mind. 

• Love 2

Since this isn't episode specific I thought I would bring the Jackfruit Experiment of 2018 over here.  All the recipes I found asked for 2 20oz cans and I had one.  It was more than enough for me (husband didn't have any) with a lot of leftovers.  It was the Trader Joe's JF that Mariah had.  It comes already chunked in the can and was really easy to shred with my fingers.  The tip of the heart I did not use although you could.  It looked like chicken or tuna.  It does have a bit of a smell/slight taste I can't quite place but it pretty much disappears when you cook it.  I cooked it like I would chicken meat for shredded tacos (onions/chipotle, jalapeno, red bell pepper, all sorts of spices, salsa, and el pato).  It was pretty good!  It has no protein but 7 grams of fiber per serving and the can says there are 2 servings.  I am not sure how often I will use this but I will do a pulled chicken type recipe with it using bbq sauce to see how that goes.  Husband liked it but said I made it a bit too spicy for him.  Amateur!  The Von's near me has ready made jackfruit taco kits and pulled pork but at almost $7 it is more thrifty to buy the can and make your own tacos/pulled sammies (the can was $1.99).

• Love 11

I'll have to try it.  I never heard of jackfruit, either.  I hate to give the snot Mariah any kudos, so I'll see if I like it first.

Since this is Small Talk, pretty much anything goes, right?  Has anyone here tried dragonfruit?  I see it at Safeway, but it's on the pricey side here.

Another question:  do we have a start date for the new "poopstorm" season?  It seems at least some of the Browns have already relocated.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I never heard of jackfruit. Guess Mariah was informative! 

It's trendy these days.  I had seen it but never been interested in trying it but figured what the hell.  You have to look for the can that says green or unripened.  I guess it has a different flavor ripened.  It does really take on whatever flavor you cook it with.

2 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

I'll have to try it.  I never heard of jackfruit, either.  I hate to give the snot Mariah any kudos, so I'll see if I like it first.

Since this is Small Talk, pretty much anything goes, right?  Has anyone here tried dragonfruit?  I see it at Safeway, but it's on the pricey side here.

Another question:  do we have a start date for the new "poopstorm" season?  It seems at least some of the Browns have already relocated.

I have not tried dragonfruit!  If you get it let me know how it tastes.  I have seen it.  I have tried starfruit and wasn't a fan but I cannot remember what it tasted like.  I would try it again.

• Love 3

Jackfruit makes me think of:

You don't know Jack Schitt. In turn, Jack Schitt married Noe Schitt, and the deeply religious couple produced 6 children: Holie Schitt, Fulla Schitt, Giva Schitt, Bull Schitt, and the twins: Deep Schitt and Dip Schitt.

I think the “new” season is supposed to be in the spring.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

I’ve had dragonfruit — it’s reasonably cheap at our local WinCo but you have to be careful that it’s not mushy or moldy. I found the flavor kind of hard to describe, but it was pretty subtle, not overwhelming sweet, with a nice texture.  I liked it and I’d happily have it again.

I bought some dried dragonfruit from Trader Joe’s once ... apparently when you dry dragonfruit, all you’re left with is seeds. I ate one piece of it and took the rest to a family gathering with several hungry teenage boys in attendance. The hungry teenage boys wouldn’t eat it either.  So if you want dragonfruit, stick to fresh!

ETA - I’ve had jackfruit “pulled pork”, too. The flavor was fine, but I like my fake meat really fake, and it wasn’t fake enough for me. I couldn’t convince my mouth that I didn’t have to worry about gristle, bones, and all the other inedible stuff that shows up in real meat. Mr. Blevins, on the other hand, through it was too fake. But he liked the dragonfruit. So two thumbs up for dragonfruit and two thumbs down for jackfruit, but for different reasons. What are we covering on next week’s edition of “So I Found This Fruit At The Asian Market”?

Edited by jennblevins
Jackfruit!
  • Love 4

I like dragonfruit, but I wouldn't want it every day.  If it's really pricey, it's probably only worth buying it just to try for fun.  It's something I buy once or twice a month when I'm in the mood.  

• Love 1

Wow, you've introduced quite an exotic world to those of us in Nowhereworld!  My grocery store has none of those, not even close.  The most exotic thing might be blood oranges once in a blue moon.

On the other hand, the home grown veggies from local farmers are so wonderful.  Real fresh tomatoes off the vine have no equal in a grocery store.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, jennblevins said:

I’ve had dragonfruit — it’s reasonably cheap at our local WinCo but you have to be careful that it’s not mushy or moldy. I found the flavor kind of hard to describe, but it was pretty subtle, not overwhelming sweet, with a nice texture.  I liked it and I’d happily have it again.

I bought some dried dragonfruit from Trader Joe’s once ... apparently when you dry dragonfruit, all you’re left with is seeds. I ate one piece of it and took the rest to a family gathering with several hungry teenage boys in attendance. The hungry teenage boys wouldn’t eat it either.  So if you want dragonfruit, stick to fresh!

ETA - I’ve had jackfruit “pulled pork”, too. The flavor was fine, but I like my fake meat really fake, and it wasn’t fake enough for me. I couldn’t convince my mouth that I didn’t have to worry about gristle, bones, and all the other inedible stuff that shows up in real meat. Mr. Blevins, on the other hand, through it was too fake. But he liked the dragonfruit. So two thumbs up for dragonfruit and two thumbs down for jackfruit, but for different reasons. What are we covering on next week’s edition of “So I Found This Fruit At The Asian Market”?

I recently saw a full size jackfruit at a local grocery store.  It was much larger than I expected almost the size of a watermelon.  No one else would eat it, so I'm not going to buy one.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, neh said:

I don't think that jackfruit tastes very good.  Yesterday we got a donation of four cans of TJ's jackfruit at the food bank, when I was volunteering.

I tried it for the first time in a vegan fajita with rice and found it to be pretty good--it took on the flavors of the peppers and sauce. Some people, however, will never come to like it. I personally don't require "meat substitutes" in vegetarian dishes (many are epic fails), but this one was decent as it blended nicely with the other ingredients. 

• Love 3

Just looked at their new rental, 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms.  But its over 8,000 sq. ft.  I believe it is right near their property where they are going to build.  It is a massive log house.  I guess there is additional space that can be used for bedrooms for the kids.  Large kitchen, not sure how that is going to work with everyone eating different.  Wonder if Meri is going to live there or just stay at the B&B until her home is ready?  ACTUALLY, I think they might have bought this home it says it just sold.  $1,585,000

Edited by Pickleinthemiddle
New information
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Just looked at their new rental, 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms.  But its over 8,000 sq. ft.  I believe it is right near their property where they are going to build.  It is a massive log house.  I guess there is additional space that can be used for bedrooms for the kids.  Large kitchen, not sure how that is going to work with everyone eating different.  Wonder if Meri is going to live there or just stay at the B&B until her home is ready?

Great detective work!  Sounds like it could be a recipe for disaster though, Meri and Janelle still haven't resolved their kitchen conflicts from when Janelle first came on the scene, so probably a good idea for Meri to bide her time at Parowan.

With the kids drifting away to their own lives and only 8-9 remaining, I wonder why they didn't just buy the log home and live happily ever after.

• Love 2

Is the rental on the same street as the empty lots they bought?  Trying to track it down on zillow.  4 Bedrooms doesn't seem nearly enough for Kody & Robyn (with Aurora, Breanna, Sol and Ari) plus Janelle (with Gabe and Savannah) and Christine (with Gwen, Ysabel and Truely).  Assuming all the other older kids are either staying in Vegas/Utah or off to college.  Also assuming Meri does not intend to move until the absolute last minute, if then.  

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, smarty2020 said:

Is the rental on the same street as the empty lots they bought?  Trying to track it down on zillow.  4 Bedrooms doesn't seem nearly enough for Kody & Robyn (with Aurora, Breanna, Sol and Ari) plus Janelle (with Gabe and Savannah) and Christine (with Gwen, Ysabel and Truely).  Assuming all the other older kids are either staying in Vegas/Utah or off to college.  Also assuming Meri does not intend to move until the absolute last minute, if then.  

Go to the TLC Sister Wives Facebook page, one of the posts has a photo and the address.  Not sure if it is in the same area.

29 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

I wonder why they didn't just buy the log home and live happily ever after.

I think they might have bought it.  Someone else on their facebook page said that the house is in all their names.  I didn't go check the county records, but it recently sold.  So maybe they bought it and will rent it out after their homes are built, or visiting grown children.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Go to the TLC Sister Wives Facebook page, one of the posts has a photo and the address.  Not sure if it is in the same area.

I think they might have bought it.  Someone else on their facebook page said that the house is in all their names.  I didn't go check the county records, but it recently sold.  So maybe they bought it and will rent it out after their homes are built, or visiting grown children.

I didn't find info on TLC Sister Wives Facebook page, so I tried "log home in Flagstaff sold $1,585,000, and came up with one on Buckhorn Loop.  If that's it, I am KNOCKED OUT!!!  It's beautiful and lots of bonus rooms to accommodate all the kids.

EDIT:  I did find the one on FB, if the source is reliable, it looks like they purchased on Coyote Pass, not nearly as impressive as Buckhorn Loop, but I guess it fit their needs better as it seemed to be vacant and ready to have them move in.  It's very rustic, but it does have a walk-in safe, just the thing Robyn needs for her SW Closet jewelry.

Edited by Sandy W
further info
  • Love 3

What a gorgeous home.  It seems like the Kody Klown has made it big with so much money to spend.  There is only one house in LV for sale and they have already spent several million in Flagstaff.  Wonder where the money is coming from.  Seems like Kody and the wives have made it big.  What is going on?

• Love 6

Do you think maybe the lots are an investment and they aren't going to build on them?  There aren't that many children left to accommodate.  Four bedrooms are enough for each of the wives and there is a lot of room for the children. 

I wonder how much TLC money is involved in these projects.  Aren't they one of the most watched programs for TLC?  Something is very strange here.

• Love 4

Well, the home is located north of town (and the pictures that Christine and her kids have posted bear that out). And the info that was posted about the property in one of the threads was about land south of town. It's a little confusing. Combined, that would be $2.4 million in home and property in Flag plus four homes in LV and Meri's home in Parowan. Even with half the kids gone from the homes, there is no way they make enough money to cover all that- money down, closing costs, and maintaining now six homes.

• Love 3

The Log Cabin House on W. Coyote Pass has the same address as the lots the Browns bought.  My guess is that the person who bought the log cabin house back in 2016 for $1,585,000 is now subdividing and selling off part of the 40 acres that came with it.  Is there any evidence they are all renting the one big house?  The other possibility is that the person who sold them the plots is renting them the log cabin house until their individual houses are complete.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, smarty2020 said:

The other possibility is that the person who sold them the plots is renting them the log cabin house until their individual houses are complete.

Ok, that makes sense. Apparently the info about the lots south of town was incorrect. The only other clue we have about their living arrangements is that Christine said something about the other wives being at "their homes" when she was out eating with her kids and posted about it on Insta.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

Ok, that makes sense. Apparently the info about the lots south of town was incorrect. The only other clue we have about their living arrangements is that Christine said something about the other wives being at "their homes" when she was out eating with her kids and posted about it on Insta.

When I read the "their homes" part my first assumption was the others were in Las Vegas and Christine was in AZ. They certainly are cryptic!!

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

When I read the "their homes" part my first assumption was the others were in Las Vegas and Christine was in AZ. They certainly are cryptic!!

When it comes to the viewing public, the Brown's follow the Mushroom Philosophy..."Keep them in the dark and feed them sh*t"

Edited by Sandy W
  • Love 10

Yeah, you would think I would have learned by now not to trust anythink (Christine Speak) that they say! The other wives could have gone back to LV to finish packing. Who knows. Does anyone know what the last name is of the person who who previously owned the land and house they purchased? I'm just wondering if it is someone in the plyg community there (I can do a little snooping around my contacts).

ETA: @ginger90 posted pics that Paedon took of "mom's new house" in Christine's thread. Looks like a house on about an acre or so, surrounded by other homes on acreage. So did she get the home and the others just get land? It doesn't actually show the house itself, so can't tell how big it is. But one view is of the junker car next door. The rest of the views are great! I love that area north of Flag, looking up towards Humphry Summit.

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

The only other clue we have about their living arrangements is that Christine said something about the other wives being at "their homes" when she was out eating with her kids and posted about it on Insta.

It was actually Gwendlyn that said that in a reply.

• Love 3
On 8/7/2018 at 4:28 PM, Nysha said:

I have to admit, before watching Sister Wives I kind of thought the idea of having a second wife was intriguing.  However, none of the poly-shows have happy wives. The guys seem to enjoy it, but all of the wives seem bitter, jealous, and depressed. Totally changed my mind. 

Most of the shows I have seen involving polygamy are religious people who believe in having big families. In my experience, with no religion involved and a normal amount of kids, people seem much happier.    For me, I hate having separate households. There would be a lot of resentment if the majority of taking care of the kids fell to me because he’s only at my house every 4th day. We(just 3 of us right now) also all just plan on sharing a bedroom.  I don’t have a tlc show to pay for a big house. I think the kitchen is the biggest issue. Lol.

• Love 4

So one of my neighbors is putting their property up for sale.  They've been using it as a rental for years and the first thing that came to my mind was, Wow, it's the perfect property for a poly family.  LOL.  It has 2 small houses - the front is a 2 bedroom/1bath with a detached 2 car garage and the back house, that enters off another road even, has a top and bottom.  Both floors are separate homes - each with it's own kitchen and carport or garage.  All total I think there's like 6 bedrooms or something and 3 kitchens and all three have small decks of their own.  It will be interesting to see what type of family buys it.

• Love 3

I'm sure it'll be interesting and I hope in a good way - we're at the end of a dead end street and all the neighbors pretty much know each other, their dogs come back and forth, and everyone is pretty laid back.  That being said about 4 houses down from me there is one woman and 2 husbands?  At least one is a husband and then this other guy about their age has been living there for the past couple of years and I often see him and the wife walking the neighborhood together.  All 3 are totally nice and friendly so more power to them - LOL

• Love 4
2 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

That's what I think.  I've seen houses for sale with 2 kitchens, and I've always thought it was a mother-in-law type set-up.

AFAIK, no poly families live in my community, but what do I know?  Anything's possible.

Two kitchens would also be extremely valuable (required) to anyone living Kosher.

• Love 6

I remember hearing about 2 refrigerators, but not 2 complete kitchens.  I learn a lot here.

Well, it's true Meri may need 2 kitchens for when mom Bonnie or MarAudge come to visit.  We can't expect her to share, since someone may repeat Janelle's fatal error, and stack the cups the 'wrong' way.  

• Love 5