Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

Mormon Funeral Potato Recipe (by request again).

This is a dish that all good Mormon families historically made to take to funerals. My family makes it for Christmas morning and calls it Death By Christmas. On Pintrest it goes by a thousand other names. A bag of hash brown potatoes, a can of cream of chicken soup, a 16 oz. tub of sour cream, one half chopped onion, 1/2 cup melted butter, 2 cups shredded Mont Jack cheese, s/p and we add cooked diced bacon. 9X13 pan. Mix up corn flakes and 1/4 cup melted butter, spread on top. 425 degrees for 35-45 minutes (cover if top stops burning). YOU WILL EAT THE ENTIRE PAN IN ONE SITTING. Mix up the cheese and meats to your liking.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

Mormon Funeral Potato Recipe (by request again).

This is a dish that all good Mormon families historically made to take to funerals. My family makes it for Christmas morning and calls it Death By Christmas. On Pintrest it goes by a thousand other names. A bag of hash brown potatoes, a can of cream of chicken soup, a 16 oz. tub of sour cream, one half chopped onion, 1/2 cup melted butter, 2 cups shredded Mont Jack cheese, s/p and we add cooked diced bacon. 9X13 pan. Mix up corn flakes and 1/4 cup melted butter, spread on top. 425 degrees for 35-45 minutes (cover if top stops burning). YOU WILL EAT THE ENTIRE PAN IN ONE SITTING. Mix up the cheese and meats to your liking.

In my personal opinion I much prefer the version from the magazine Cook's Country.  I like it more cheesy than usual and a 9x13 pan is too big for my family so I made my own cheesier smaller size (uses half a bag of hash brown potatoes) in an 8x8 pan.

My husband and I occasionally want KFC chicken, but we don't like any of the sides etc.  So on Funeral Potato night he picks up chicken on the way home and I make Funeral Potatoes timed to come out of the oven upon his arrival.  They are fabulous together!!

• Love 2

We have 11 big eaters (not FT big) in our family so I usually make two of these for Christmas morning! But we do have left-overs for the next day. I add more Mont Jack than is called for. Some folks like using half Mont Jack, half cheddar. I bet adding roasted chicken directly to the casserole would be good too!

• Love 2

I use Sharp Cheddar for mine, and sour cream and onion potato chips for the topping.  When I first made it we pan fried fresh Chorizo sausage and when it was done cooking, pushed it to the side of the pan and tossed in a pound of shrimp.  The shrimp picks up the spicy seasoning from the pan and they are delicious with the rich cheesy potatoes.  NOT diet food in any way, shape or form.  But just good deliciousness.

11 eaters!!  Wow. My husband is a big eater and enjoys the leftovers for breakfast the next day.  The 8x8 pan is perfect for a meal and a large leftover serving. 

• Love 1

I can't eat onions, so I make a loaf pan without them just for me. I don't have a gall bladder anymore, so the amount of fat in this thing kills me for a couple of days. But so worth it and it's the only time I eat it.

My whole family lives in Phoenix and we are close. We love to eat and plan elaborate holiday meals. I also love to cook, so I'm in charge of the menus. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

This is a dish that all good Mormon families historically made to take to funerals. 

All the families? Does this mean that all there is to eat at Mormon funerals is, like, dozens of dishes of these potatoes?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Pachengala said:

All the families? Does this mean that all there is to eat at Mormon funerals is, like, dozens of dishes of these potatoes?

LOL!!!   I lived with a Mormon family during my teenage years and I LOVE potatoes - do you think I ever... ONCE... got to try that dish?  Um... nope!  But I don't remember going to any funerals during those years, so perhaps that is why.  (And that's a GOOD thing!)  But.... those potatoes sound sooooo good, I wish we could have had them at other times.  The mom baked her own bread and it was fabulous, so there was that.

• Love 1

I was bored on my lunch break at work today, so I watched some old clips from Season 1 on YouTube.

Either they all got along much better back then or they're better actors than we think.  

It was enjoyable seeing them in their large Utah home where the kids were constantly together. The sudden move to Las Vegas added extra story lines for the show, but I think it hurt the overall family dynamics for years.

I'm one of the few who doesn't absolutely hate Robin. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

Does anyone else think that TLC put on Seeking Sister Wife against Sister Wives to see which one does better in the ratings and get rid of the one that has the lowest rating. 

Hopefully!

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

Does anyone else think that TLC put on Seeking Sister Wife against Sister Wives to see which one does better in the ratings and get rid of the one that has the lowest rating. 

They got a resounding answer then.  Seeking Sister Wife got just a bit over half the viewers of Sister Wives. 

SSW  882K viewers and a .31 rating

SW 1.506M viewers and a .41 rating

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Absolom said:

They got a resounding answer then.  Seeking Sister Wife got just a bit over half the viewers of Sister Wives. 

I wouldn't count the new show out, yet. We forgot about it and didn't record it. However, we have now set a OnePass on our TiVO for it. I think the new show will gain some steam as the season progresses.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

To me these numbers tell us that there are a LOT of long term watchers of Sister Wives who hate watch and people don't know/don't care about the new families.

A train wreck gets more views than a restored heritage steam engine.

• Love 7

Informative article explaining how men all over the world who hoard women benefit socially, financially and politically - thereby limiting or totally removing  opportunities for unmarried men to succeed in any meaningful way. This game is rigged, to say the least.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2006/04/one-man-many-wives-big-problems/304829/

In polygamous societies where the dowry system is practiced if one man has 20 wives and each wife comes with a dowry of 20 cows, 15 sheep, 10 goats and the annual yield from three acres of crops then that man accumulates 400 cows, 300 sheep, 200 goats and the annual yield from 60 acres of crops. Livestock must be fed and tended but that is more than balanced by its value as currency, which is the road to prosperity. Those who rule the society are chosen from the prosperous class. Nineteen men will lose a chance in that round of the marriage market (and perhaps many more to come) and if they remain single they will not accumulate livestock and crops the way Mr Twenty Wives did, if at all. Nineteen men will have no stake in their society and protecting its values and ensuring its survival. Now let's paste some religion onto it and promise some virgins in the afterlife to the (mostly bachelor) warrior class; that sounds good, yep, that should work.

Edited by suomi
  • Love 3
On 1/17/2018 at 1:34 PM, Roslyn said:

To me these numbers tell us that there are a LOT of long term watchers of Sister Wives who hate watch and people don't know/don't care about the new families.

A train wreck gets more views than a restored heritage steam engine.

From the previews the new show doesn't look all that interesting to me. I know all reality shows are fake, but the ones coming out now are not even trying to hide the fact, or at least play it well. The drama is amped up from day one and I don't believe it for a minute.

I'm invested in Sister Wives; not in any weird or creepy way (I don't even follow any of them on Social Media), but I've watched from the first season and I feel for these people. I know it's mostly BS and replayed drama for the show, but for the most part, I LIKE the Browns - yep, I said it. I don't hate-watch, but I enjoy and participate in the snark when warranted.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I know it's mostly BS and replayed drama for the show, but for the most part, I LIKE the Browns - yep, I said it. I don't hate-watch, but I enjoy and participate in the snark when warranted.

Can you articulate what you like about them?  Not being argumentative, genuinely curious.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Can you articulate what you like about them?  Not being argumentative, genuinely curious.

My husband and I started watching the show because our curiosity was piqued; what makes polygamist families tick? Why would anyone choose to live such a lifestyle? As with any other "reality" show, you start getting to know the people and you form your opinions and you become interested in their lives. If I didn't like them, I wouldn't watch. I couldn't watch, because it would be stressful and irksome and a complete waste of time to watch a show about people that I cannot stand. 

Kody has earned most of the criticism he receives, but I really believe he loves his children, and has varying degrees of affection for his wives. Although not sure how much he has left for Meri, and I can't say I blame him at this point.

The wives are all interesting and so different, and I find the interaction between them and how they have progressed, or regressed, as the show has gone on interesting as well. It's also interesting to see how their children are growing and maturing and how they are handling fame and the ups and downs of their lifestyle. 

For the most part, they are all good, decent people. But they also make mistakes and behave badly; they are sometimes pious and selfish and thoughtless, and also funny and silly and emotional and caring. They are not perfect parents or perfect spouses or perfect children, sometimes far from it. And let's be honest, that's where the drama and reality-show goodness comes in. :P But one thing that I try to never forget as watch the show and as I comment on it - that these are all flawed, imperfect human beings, just like the rest of us. 

Edited by Gothish520
word
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

If you don't like any of them, that's fine. I just don't see the point of watching a show about people I hate. 

I'm glad there are people in the world like you. I wish I were capable of being more forgiving and accepting. I've tried; it just takes too much work. LOL. But especially with the way the world is now, I wish we all could be more forgiving and accepting.

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

As I said, just curious  Obviously there are few to none of the posters on the forum who agree but it's interesting to hear another point of view.  

I don't think that's obvious at all.

I sincerely doubt that every, or almost every, poster on this site hates every member of the Brown family. And I never said I loved them all and find everything they do just delightful. Many posters here have said they follow many of the Browns on social media - why would someone follow a public person on social media if they hated them? Makes no sense at all. If I find someone distasteful, I avoid them.

The Browns are an interesting family and their stories are interesting to observe. I enjoy the snark and sitting in my armchair passing judgement like many others, though obviously not as much as some. But if I loathed these people, I would not watch a show about them. 

18 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

I'm glad there are people in the world like you. I wish I were capable of being more forgiving and accepting. I've tried; it just takes too much work. LOL. But especially with the way the world is now, I wish we all could be more forgiving and accepting.

Thank you!

Believe me, I don't think the Browns are paragons of society, or that we should emulate them or hold them up as examples. And some of the comments by their fans on social media are over the top, based on what I've seen from Twitter and Instagram posts on this board. But I like them (for the most part) and I find the show entertaining.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 6

Well, I mostly pay attention to them for two reasons:

1. They have put themselves in the public eye.
  2. I enjoy periodically trying to force one or another of them to acknowledge reality.

Though, the second has gotten me blocked from Robyn's, Meri's, Jenelle's, and MSWC's Twitter accounts. So now I have to be more careful if I want to continue to be lazy and access some of their Twitter accounts while logged into Twitter (read "logged into Twitter" as "without having to open an incognito window in my browser").

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

Well, I mostly pay attention to them for two reasons:

1. They have put themselves in the public eye.
  2. I enjoy periodically trying to force one or another of them to acknowledge reality.

Though, the second has gotten me blocked from Robyn's, Meri's, Jenelle's, and MSWC's Twitter accounts. So now I have to be more careful if I want to continue to be lazy and access some of their Twitter accounts while logged into Twitter (read "logged into Twitter" as "without having to open an incognito window in my browser").

Ha ha ha Mr. Smith, you crack me up!!

I don't hate any of the Browns.  I still sort of feel sorry for Meri, but only because the episode where Kody was divorcing her to marry Robyn just broke my heart.  Her face!  Kody was SO gleeful because back then Robyn was CLEARLY the only woman he was interested in and it was obvious to anyone who had eyes that this was NOT just because of Robyn's kids.   I probably feel sorry for Meri because I relate to that scene - my husband and I divorced over our best friends (the wife) and I was left with 4 children - 3 of them under the age of 2.  (Infant twins and a brother a year older.)  I definitely see everyone's point over Sam (Egads!) and other issues.

I LOVE hearing other people's opinions and thoughts - especially concerning two-ton Tony.... and even when we don't agree, I just love reading people's thoughts.  This is a fun forum and lots of the people here have a WONDERFUL sense of humor!!!

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

I don't hate any of the Browns.  I still sort of feel sorry for Meri, but only because the episode where Kody was divorcing her to marry Robyn just broke my heart.  Her face!  Kody was SO gleeful because back then Robyn was CLEARLY the only woman he was interested in and it was obvious to anyone who had eyes that this was NOT just because of Robyn's kids.   I probably feel sorry for Meri because I relate to that scene - my husband and I divorced over our best friends (the wife) and I was left with 4 children - 3 of them under the age of 2.  (Infant twins and a brother a year older.)  I definitely see everyone's point over Sam (Egads!) and other issues.

I LOVE hearing other people's opinions and thoughts - especially concerning two-ton Tony.... and even when we don't agree, I just love reading people's thoughts.  This is a fun forum and lots of the people here have a WONDERFUL sense of humor!!!

Well said!  :)

Lest anyone think I'm trying to hold myself up as above it all, and speaking as a viewer who enjoys some good reality-show drama, I'm not gonna lie - the catfishing scandal was amazing. GOLD, I tell ya! But of course at the same time, I felt for all parties. I really think the scenes of everyone trying to deal with it were powerful, especially Meri and Kody's. Kody was so measured in his words, but the horror was written all over his face. 

And the divorce was indeed heartbreaking. I'd love to know the real story behind it all, as I agree, we were not told the truth. Kody and Robyn tried to hide their delight but it seeped out all over the place. They were so happy when they made it legal, you could feel it coming through the tv screen!

Edited by Gothish520
typo
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

My husband and I started watching the show because our curiosity was piqued; what makes polygamist families tick? Why would anyone choose to live such a lifestyle? As with any other "reality" show, you start getting to know the people and you form your opinions and you become interested in their lives. If I didn't like them, I wouldn't watch. I couldn't watch, because it would be stressful and irksome and a complete waste of time to watch a show about people that I cannot stand. 

Kody has earned most of the criticism he receives, but I really believe he loves his children, and has varying degrees of affection for his wives. Although not sure how much he has left for Meri, and I can't say I blame him at this point.

The wives are all interesting and so different, and I find the interaction between them and how they have progressed, or regressed, as the show has gone on interesting as well. It's also interesting to see how their children are growing and maturing and how they are handling fame and the ups and downs of their lifestyle. 

For the most part, they are all good, decent people. But they also make mistakes and behave badly; they are sometimes pious and selfish and thoughtless, and also funny and silly and emotional and caring. They are not perfect parents or perfect spouses or perfect children, sometimes far from it. And let's be honest, that's where the drama and reality-show goodness comes in. :P But one thing that I try to never forget as watch the show and as I comment on it - that these are all flawed, imperfect human beings, just like the rest of us. 

I fully admit I hate watch many shows.  That doesn't mean I hate everyone associated with the show.  How people live their lives fascinates me, the good and the bad.  I do think Kody is a douche and my opinion of the wives can certainly change from year to year but they cannot be totally bad because a lot of their kids seem decent.  One of my opinions about all the parents is they work really hard at making bad decisions about how to support their families without actually working and what I hate seeing is kids like Maddie getting involved in the same MLM's.  I also feel for the little's because this show and the increase in family money will not last forever.  What I despise is the fact these people had too many kids pre show to support them.  All these people have declared bankruptcy, some have been on food stamps and goodness knows what else.  Even this bleeding heart liberal wants to smack people who knowingly have more kids then they can support, or buy houses that they cannot really afford, or start businesses that have no way of being successful.  Besides, if I didn't hate watch shows how would I have EVER learned righteous terms like helpmeet, using purpose in a way not intended, heart for children, toasters are a greater threat than sharks.  Its a higher education of sorts y'all! :).

• Love 6

I wish I were capable of being more forgiving and accepting.

Would be nice but I have a had time accepting those that lie (see the fake "flight from prosecution"), are accomplished grifters (LLR, Strive, the joorey biz), declare bankruptcies (for which WE pay,by the way), take delight in Bleeding the Beast (a Mormon tenet, apparently), and rope their offspring into ridiculous situations to keep the TLC gravy train running so that they never have to get real jobs. 

How much you want to bet there is some kind of GoFundMe campaign in the future when there is no more money coming in?  I'm sure the  sycophantic fans that bought all kinds of wedding and shower gifts will be their next target.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Natalie68 said:

I fully admit I hate watch many shows.  That doesn't mean I hate everyone associated with the show.  How people live their lives fascinates me, the good and the bad.  I do think Kody is a douche and my opinion of the wives can certainly change from year to year but they cannot be totally bad because a lot of their kids seem decent.  One of my opinions about all the parents is they work really hard at making bad decisions about how to support their families without actually working and what I hate seeing is kids like Maddie getting involved in the same MLM's.  I also feel for the little's because this show and the increase in family money will not last forever.  What I despise is the fact these people had too many kids pre show to support them.  All these people have declared bankruptcy, some have been on food stamps and goodness knows what else.  Even this bleeding heart liberal wants to smack people who knowingly have more kids then they can support, or buy houses that they cannot really afford, or start businesses that have no way of being successful.  Besides, if I didn't hate watch shows how would I have EVER learned righteous terms like helpmeet, using purpose in a way not intended, heart for children, toasters are a greater threat than sharks.  Its a higher education of sorts y'all! :).

That is too funny, I just watched the very first episode because I have not seen all of the first season and they are available On Demand. The stuff with Christine and the toaster was hilarious! 

I agree with pretty much all you said. I have no children and I'm not in the least bit religious, so the Browns are about as opposite from my life as you can get. I suppose if they truly believe their religious doctrine, popping out kids at "God's" will makes sense to them. But really, why anyone would put themselves in that type of situation, I will never fully understand. 

The MLMs, just no. And the hawking of other products on Twitter, Instagram, etc...OY. It's a strange, commercialized, social-media-ruled world we live in.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Kohola3 said:

Would be nice but I have a had time accepting those that lie (see the fake "flight from prosecution"), are accomplished grifters (LLR, Strive, the joorey biz), declare bankruptcies (for which WE pay,by the way), take delight in Bleeding the Beast (a Mormon tenet, apparently), and rope their offspring into ridiculous situations to keep the TLC gravy train running so that they never have to get real jobs. 

How much you want to bet there is some kind of GoFundMe campaign in the future when there is no more money coming in?  I'm sure the  sycophantic fans that bought all kinds of wedding and shower gifts will be their next target.

Um yeah.  When my Mormon cousin was pregnant with her 1st (which seemed like 5 minutes after marriage) and they were poor college students her response to the questions of how are you going to do this was 'we get free cheese from the Gov!'  Not really my place to support a PLANNED pregnancy you can't afford you idiot.  

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Glad I can make you laugh! LOL

I don't really hate the Browns. I can't get that worked up about things that don't actually affect my life. I just dislike the five adults because I think they're liars: about polygamy, how "great" it is, how good their relationships are, and how "superior" it is to monogamy, and a number of other things. They're also demonstrably lazy, arrogant, and (often) narcissistic. The adults continue to lie to themselves, each other, and everyone they come into contact with (either directly or via the show/social media/etc) and they refuse to acknowledge the real consequences of their choices, and then they're amazed when their lives go sideways at every opportunity.

In spite of all that, they have (amazingly) somehow managed to raise children into decent adults. Logan, Meriah and Hunter all seem to be doing well. Mykelti and Madison are falling into their parents' orbits and habits, from what I can tell based on their social media postings and what's shown on the show. However, that still gives the Browns a 60% win rate and I find that remarkable.

So, I generally dislike the five adults and find them grating and annoying because I believe in being honest and dealing with reality. I've found, from prior experience, that when you choose to ignore reality, then your problems magnify and when they finally blow up they do so in absolutely devastating (sometimes devastatingly crippling) ways. At the same time, I find it absolutely fascinating that these five people seem to be completely incapable of learning from their mistakes and are able to continue charging ahead while completely oblivious to reality in spite of the debilitating depression they experience because of it. (Janelle certainly deals with this, which she has detailed in tweets and blog posts on her "STRIVE with Janelle" web site.)

As far as when Robyn came on the scene, Kody was absolutely a dog in heat - and made no attempts whatsoever at hiding that fact. All he wanted was to spend 100% of his time with Robyn because she still had her looks and the novelty of banging her hadn't yet worn off. His contempt for Meri is barely disguised when she's around and is otherwise laid bare when she is absent. Meri would leave this shitshow if she could so without losing any face or damaging the familiy "brand". I think Janelle regrets coming back to this family after she was out for a while. I don't think Christine ever really wanted a husband; she just wants the ability to be a stay-at-home mom and so she's getting the life she wants (but she still wouldn't mind being rid of Meri). The fact she always wanted to be the third wife is evidence of this, in my opinion.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

Glad I can make you laugh! LOL

I don't really hate the Browns. I can't get that worked up about things that don't actually affect my life. I just dislike the five adults because I think they're liars: about polygamy, how "great" it is, how good their relationships are, and how "superior" it is to monogamy, and a number of other things. They're also demonstrably lazy, arrogant, and (often) narcissistic. The adults continue to lie to themselves, each other, and everyone they come into contact with (either directly or via the show/social media/etc) and they refuse to acknowledge the real consequences of their choices, and then they're amazed when their lives go sideways at every opportunity.

In spite of all that, they have (amazingly) somehow managed to raise children into decent adults. Logan, Meriah and Hunter all seem to be doing well. Mykelti and Madison are falling into their parents' orbits and habits, from what I can tell based on their social media postings and what's shown on the show. However, that still gives the Browns a 60% win rate and I find that remarkable.

So, I generally dislike the five adults and find them grating and annoying because I believe in being honest and dealing with reality. I've found, from prior experience, that when you choose to ignore reality, then your problems magnify and when they finally blow up they do so in absolutely devastating (sometimes devastatingly crippling) ways. At the same time, I find it absolutely fascinating that these five people seem to be completely incapable of learning from their mistakes and are able to continue charging ahead while completely oblivious to reality in spite of the debilitating depression they experience because of it. (Janelle certainly deals with this, which she has detailed in tweets and blog posts on her "STRIVE with Janelle" web site.)

As far as when Robyn came on the scene, Kody was absolutely a dog in heat - and made no attempts whatsoever at hiding that fact. All he wanted was to spend 100% of his time with Robyn because she still had her looks and the novelty of banging her hadn't yet worn off. His contempt for Meri is barely disguised when she's around and is otherwise laid bare when she is absent. Meri would leave this shitshow if she could so without losing any face or damaging the familiy "brand". I think Janelle regrets coming back to this family after she was out for a while. I don't think Christine ever really wanted a husband; she just wants the ability to be a stay-at-home mom and so she's getting the life she wants (but she still wouldn't mind being rid of Meri). The fact she always wanted to be the third wife is evidence of this, in my opinion.

Or losing out on her 1/5 of the $.   None of the parents seem particularly smart or able to learn from their mistakes.  If they were able they would not be still getting liens, making purchases of property they cannot really afford, having more kids, starting stupid businesses they have no experience running, etc.  I suspect their IQ's aren't real high.  But kudos to them for recognizing and appreciating their kids need college or some other form of moving forward in life.  Hopefully the kids can all support their parents when the proverbial well runs dry.  None of the moms at least will have much social security or means to support themselves and I certainly don't think taxpayers should have to when they have had access to reality tv money for so many years.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

I agree with everything you've said, but with one word change.  Bleeding the Beast is not a "Mormon" tenet; it is a polygamy tenet.  I'm not a Mormon, but we live in a Mormon area.  (We refer to their churches as "mile markers" because there are so many of them on main streets.)  For the most part, they are clean, hard-working people who make good neighbors.  They DO a lot of MLMs, but I think they mostly sell their crap to each other.  

And I do agree . . . there will likely be GoFundMe campaigns by multiple Browns before all is said and done.   

• Love 4

I wouldn't say I HATE the Browns. 

They're a collective train wreck, and I follow them with an air of disbelief. 

Also, if it wasn't for the snarkers (I refuse to use the term "haters" as it has come to mean someone who has a different opinion and voices it) TLC would have pulled the plug on this show years ago. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

I wouldn't say I HATE the Browns. 

They're a collective train wreck, and I follow them with an air of disbelief. 

Also, if it wasn't for the snarkers (I refuse to use the term "haters" as it has come to mean someone who has a different opinion and voices it) TLC would have pulled the plug on this show years ago. 

I get what you're saying, but im not sure...it appears they have a lot of REALLY devoted fans...like, over the top fans, based on the comments I see on the social media pictures posted here. 

8 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I get what you're saying, but im not sure...it appears they have a lot of REALLY devoted fans sycophants...like, over the top fans, based on the comments I see on the social media pictures posted here. 

That's better. All I can say about that is there are always going to be people who want to be "celebrity adjacent", no matter how minor the celebrity or how tragic the trainwreck that celebrity is. From what I've seen, sycophants is a better descriptor because they all seem to be yes-men where the Browns can do nothing wrong no matter how poorly the Browns treat each other (or, in the case of Meri, how poorly she treats her "fans").

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 5

I just caught an episode of Seeking Sister Wife, and those families made the Browns seem positively normal.  Maybe I've gotten so used to them that the ick factor has diminished.   But wow, the folks on the new show absolutely creeped me out.  

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, TVFAN said:

I just caught an episode of Seeking Sister Wife, and those families made the Browns seem positively normal.  Maybe I've gotten so used to them that the ick factor has diminished.   But wow, the folks on the new show absolutely creeped me out.  

Same here!!!!!!!!  If you want to see the smarmiest side of polygamy, watch that one family with the three wives who stab each other in the back.  Wife two and three gang up on wife one, while husband eats up the attention and preens like a peacock because HE has THREE wives!  He keeps saying he doesn't enter into the drama or take sides but then he sits there listening to wife 2 and 3's complaints and then confronts wife one with their issues.   After watching them I just wanted to take a shower and get that slime off of me from exposure to this unpleasant lifestyle!   

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Same here!!!!!!!!  If you want to see the smarmiest side of polygamy, watch that one family with the three wives who stab each other in the back.  Wife two and three gang up on wife one, while husband eats up the attention and preens like a peacock because HE has THREE wives!  He keeps saying he doesn't enter into the drama or take sides but then he sits there listening to wife 2 and 3's complaints and then confronts wife one with their issues.   After watching them I just wanted to take a shower and get that slime off of me from exposure to this unpleasant lifestyle!   

Yeah, that family in particular is rough. That is one unhappy group of stealth bytches. The husband is sooo passive. Makes me appreciate Kody and his big personality and his willingness to take charge.

The other family looking to add a third wife is ok. They seem relatively adjusted and have a routine down. The husband is very even-keeled, almost too calm, but he seems to love both wives and adore his children - lots of hugging and affection going on all around. The couple looking to add a second wife - we all know what's going on there, lol.

So, by this Briney family moving to OR (per InTouch website), is the felony threat in UT just to rid their state of polygamists, and thereby save the state on welfare costs/aka "bleeding the beast?"  And cost other states that they move to more money?  Weren't the Bradys (My 5 Wives) going to move to Washington?  Looks like some of these "families" with all these kids seem to be gravitating to "blue" states.  Hmmm....

Why would a deeply religious group whose members would not dream of wasting their money gambling, drinking or dropping quarters into Mortal Kombat game machines and jukeboxes engage in such businesses?

The answer is simple, said Scott Stoddard, an engineer who spent 25 years in the clan before quitting:

"They believe they are converting money from profane uses to God's uses." The Kingstons believe they are the chosen people who will inherit the world in its last days, former member Malvern Hansen said. Until then, they will speed the way to the end by corrupting the "gentiles." And they believe the money must be made in a hurry and hoarded. Said former clan member Rowenna Erickson: "They're preparing for Armageddon."

https://www.culteducation.com/group/1099-polygamist-groups/16619-polygamy-and-profit.html

• Love 2

I watch this show and try to think of one man I know that I'd be so desperate to keep that I'd throw my self-esteem down the crapper and let him have multiple wives.  Maybe Sam Elliott (purrrrrr) but I don't think Katherine Ross is into sharing.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

I watch this show and try to think of one man I know that I'd be so desperate to keep that I'd throw my self-esteem down the crapper and let him have multiple wives.  Maybe Sam Elliott (purrrrrr) but I don't think Katherine Ross is into sharing.

Gawd, he was hot in the movie Mask.  Oh yeah!

• Love 2
On 1/19/2018 at 3:46 PM, Natalie68 said:

I fully admit I hate watch many shows.  That doesn't mean I hate everyone associated with the show.  How people live their lives fascinates me, the good and the bad.  

After spending some quality time on these forums, I've been lured to the dark side - I'm now totally watching Seeking Sister Wife just to be snarky and judge!

• Love 2
Just now, lookeyloo said:

Do love Sam Elliott. From afar. Once it gets to their habits, etc I don't think I'd be interested in breaking them in. Don't know what any of the hunks would be like in real life. 

Yep. They say, never meet your heros, lol

• Love 2