Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

On 3/16/2019 at 6:31 AM, lookeyloo said:

Here is my celebrity sighting.  Minor celebrity.  We were walking on the Beltline in Atlanta a few years ago and my son pulled me out of the way and said "Here comes Vern on his bike".  And Vern Yip of Trading Spaces fame whizzed by with a child on the back of his bike.  

Does anybody know Kinky Friedman?  I met him once.  Long story.  Disappointing.

I want to continue liking Kinky Friedman. Bummed. 

22 hours ago, Kyanight said:

17 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

I have to ask for just a hint of what you might have said here...

Is this the internet version of walking into a room and forgetting why you are there?

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Roslyn said:

Is this the internet version of walking into a room and forgetting why you are there?

Or what happens when the Browns do something even worse than they've done before, leaving one speechless, so there is no comment to type?

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

When did the sister wives to prima donnas happen?  Is all this grandeur according to their bible and teachings?

Actually, it is. The three main tenets are: families are forever; how persecuted you are proves how righteous you are; tithing is the path to personal riches. Being financially successful is promoted as something they're entitled to as a reward for being true believers. 

Some neighbors glommed onto us in the early '70s in SoCal, my husband was a framer, this guy was an electrician, they were about 10 years older than us. They came at us not exactly hard but steadily. Knowing what I know now, he was a home teacher and she was a visiting teacher. Home teachers are pairs of men who visit homes in the ward and take the family's spiritual temperature once a month; visiting teachers are pairs of women who do the same. The men zoom in on husbands and the women zoom in on wives. Singles get visits from both. These neighbors had all kinds of personal stories about themselves or relatives or friends that covered every situation or doubt or question. 

First thing promoted was that I needed to have another kid because you're not really a mother until you have more than one. I said that would be news to my daughter. Patient sighs. Second, if we came to church I had to wear a skirt or a dress. We lived in the mountains and we were hippies and in every church we knew of women wore pants, at least during winter, but they told me it confused the kids because they couldn't tell their parents apart if one didn't wear skirts. Again, news to my daughter. More patient sighs. We never attended. 

Then they started in with the benefits of tithing and we said there were months when we were barely getting by because construction was slow during winter. There were lots of tithing stories but the one I remember best is they were struggling one month and toyed with not tithing or not tithing the full amount but after praying about it they decided to tithe fully. Their cupboard was approaching bare when they happened to go in their attic and found an antique rocking chair that they sold for beaucoup bucks. I said we don't have an attic and there are no valuables lurking anywhere else either. Sighs. They were pretty sure we weren't biting the hook. 

Missionaries started coming around as well with more stories that were perfect for our situation. It was a bit overwhelming because we didn't have the nerve to honestly say GTFO to everyone (and we usually toked before they came over) but finally we had to say it. Then, my brother married a gal from a hardcore family and I saw firsthand in no uncertain terms that only her side of the family counted and it stayed that way for over 40 years. I eventually moved to Utah, which is where my real education commenced in subtle and not so subtle ways. 

Long story short, accumulating earthly goods is looked upon with great favor. Which goes a long way in explaining why MLMs are admirable and widely supported - you buy my crap this month and I'll buy your crap next month and let's keep meeting like this and supporting each other. Being successful is a measure of your worthiness. Using the word "strive" in any context is a dog whistle. Looking at you, Janelle. "Starter home" is another dog whistle.

I've seen really good things as well. My daughter married one and they used to drift into church when one of their 4 kids hit baptism age and then drift out again. They're hardcore now because she's a psych nurse at the hospital and he owns a business and it's the rare gentile who gets ahead in career or business without the support of the community, wink wink.

They had a huge electrical fire in the garage with smoke and water damage in the house. The neighborhood turnout was instantaneous and amazing and, luckily, it was lunch hour. People they hardly knew or didn't know at all showed up for a couple hours and hauled most of the furniture out of their house so they could immediately decide what could be salvaged. I lived 90 minutes away and I grabbed every suitcase and duffel my dad and I owned for their trek to a hotel. (Teenage granddaughter filled her suitcase with nothing but shoes and underwear, LOL). By the time I got there the contents of the house was in the front yard and there was a signup sheet for those who would provide meals and free labor for the next 7 days and round-the-clock shifts to guard their possessions for the first 48 hours. Hot cider and shotguns! 

During a few flood seasons my daughter stood thigh or waist deep in sandbag lines in icy cold river water. 20 minutes in the water, 40 minutes out, rotate. Pregnant ladies filled and tied sandbags. Volunteers brought pizza and donuts and hot cider for those in the warming phase. The city/the county rarely needs to raise a finger in times like those except to supervise because the volunteers and their church phone trees handle it like champs. It's like a human ant hill, very impressive. And uplifting. Businesses call and say what do you need, what can we send? Quite often they're like we're good, stop sending stuff. 

OK, class dismissed, LOL.

• Useful 14
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 12/7/2018 at 12:18 PM, Galloway Cave said:

This almost-60 life-long desert gal, who worked outside her entire life, uses Savannah Bee Body Butter (Amazon and costly) for overall body moisture. You don't need much. I do my own glycolic face peels at home and it has definitely helped the fine lines and sun spots. Instead of bag balm or those other petroleum-based goops, I use an all natural salve that a friend of mine, Lee Bennion, makes called Mom's Stuff. Better than anything I have ever used. She started making it for Grand Canyon river guides (our hands and feet are horrible from the sand and water) then went commercial. She grows most of the ingredients, harvests others and purchases only the best grade for the rest. Mom's Stuff has healing properties due to the ingredients. My 86 year old dad has cleared up the big dark splotches on his hands. My diabetic grandfather used it on his sores. I use it instead of neosporin. She has also developed day and night balms too.  Pinion is a base for the everyday salve, so you smell a bit like Christmas! www.momsstuffsalve.com The testimonials say it all. (unpaid endorsement!)

And to tie that in with the Browns, my friend Lee's great great-grandmother was one of John D. Lee's wives! He was the operator of the ferry across the Colorado River at the beginning of the Grand Canyon and also the scapegoat for the Mormon's Mountain Meadows Massacre. There hasn't been polygamy in Lee's family for a while, but it is a small world here in the southwest...

Thank you so much for the Savannah Bee recommendation..  it just arrived today in the mail and I absolutely LOVE the smell... I tried a little on the backs of my hands which are dry as dirt from gardening and it felt amazing.

I plan on using it tonight after my bath.  👍

_20190405_114719.JPG

Edited by Joan of Argh
Spelling
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

Since we talk about food a lot because of Janelle I thought I would ask this here: does anyone have a Ninja Foodi? Is the commercial accurate? Is it worth the price ($200 everywhere: the website, WalMart, Amazon)? It has about 350 4.6 reviews on Amazon so I'm really, really tempted but, to me, that's a lot of money so I thought I should ask here first. TIA

https://direct.ninjakitchen.com/16/products/ninja-foodi-pressure-cooker-op302/14/microsite/ogxix/

• Useful 1

We bought the Ninja for our daughter for Christmas.  She has five small kids and LOVES it.  Cooks something in it practically every night.  She would be thrilled to share with you how many chicken recipes she has concocted in it.  And she will rave about how fast she can whip up a good meal.  Best money we ever spent.  There's a FB page dedicated to it where members post all kinds of yummy dishes.

• Useful 3
13 minutes ago, suomi said:

Since we talk about food a lot because of Janelle I thought I would ask this here: does anyone have a Ninja Foodi? Is the commercial accurate? Is it worth the price ($200 everywhere: the website, WalMart, Amazon)? It has about 350 4.6 reviews on Amazon so I'm really, really tempted but, to me, that's a lot of money so I thought I should ask here first. TIA

https://direct.ninjakitchen.com/16/products/ninja-foodi-pressure-cooker-op302/14/microsite/ogxix/

Mr. Sandy does most of the cooking at our house and bought himself the Hot Pot, on sale for about $150.  he just loves it and is constantly looking for new recipes to use almost every day.  The only negative I see is the loss of kitchen counter space

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Mr. Sandy does most of the cooking at our house and bought himself the Hot Pot, on sale for about $150.  he just loves it and is constantly looking for new recipes to use almost every day.  The only negative I see is the loss of kitchen counter space

I think Janelle posted that she has an instant pot.  My mom has one and uses it for family meals.  It makes a meal fairly quick.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

The introvert/extrovert conversation in Janelle's thread is interesting to me.  I am definitely an introvert, and my good friend is an extrovert.  Her job involves meeting new people every day and selling them on the school system that she works for.  My job is at a little desk in a nook of a surgery center where I work mainly via fax and instant message.  I can go hours without talking to anyone.  She talks all day long.  She cannot imagine working my job and I cannot imagine working hers.  Viva la difference!

• Love 15

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

I really enjoyed reading this (2012) book. The review page has questions and answers with the author and discussion topics from the introduction are excerpted. 

Q: Why did you write the book?

A: For the same reason that Betty Friedan published The Feminine Mystique in 1963. Introverts are to extroverts what women were to men at that time--second-class citizens with gigantic amounts of untapped talent. Our schools, workplaces, and religious institutions are designed for extroverts, and many introverts believe that there is something wrong with them and that they should try to “pass” as extroverts. The bias against introversion leads to a colossal waste of talent, energy, and, ultimately, happiness.

https://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Power-Introverts-World-Talking ebook/dp/B004J4WNL2/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Edited by suomi
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, suomi said:

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

My introvert sister gave me this book, but I haven't read it yet since I am also a procrastinator.  I should get on it!

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

Well ladies (I presume it's well over 90% female here) I'm back after a long sabbatical 👌

And I see I have a ton of reading to do... Working my way thru the Janelle thread at the moment...damn they still haven't sold the houses yet? Or just Robyn's? 

Off topic, I went on a diet...a social media diet as suggested by Nat Lue of Baggage Reclaim. I can share the blog post if you like...or you can just Google it. 

Long story short -deactivated FB in August and deleted it earlier this month after 12 years 😳 which has turned out to be a great thing for me personally 👌

But I'm back here, and so I'm counting on y'all to keep me posted on all the social media crap that the Browns spew! I was up until midnight last night laughing out loud at the posts! I didn't realize how much I missed this gang!!!

• Love 23

I also find the introversion/extroversion conversation interesting. 

I have two other points to add.

One is that I read that the modern praise & worship services are very attractive to extroverts. I am on my late 30s and attend the traditional church service. Maybe twice a year the pastor says to raise your hands, and I feel so awkward and self-conscious. I have wondered if in general there is a higher prevalence of extroverts in church and a higher prevalence of introverts seeking spirituality in nature. Maybe the church, in trying to keep and attract members, has used methods that appeal to extroverts and driven out the introverts.

I will have to come back for point number two. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

I’m back! Point two is I have noticed some people not giving introvert kids their introvert time. I have young twins, and one is the most extroverted extrovert to ever extrovert (my husband and I don’t know where she came from), and the other is a definite introvert. He can hang for a while, but when he needs to recharge, he is done socializing. He will go off by himself to play. He will get upset if another child tries to play with him, and the other parent looks at me like, “wtf can’t your kid share?” He has. For hours. Why do we ask more of children than we do of ourselves? I think it’s smart that he goes off by himself instead of melting down, etc. He knows what his body needs. I have even had it suggested to me that he could have autism. Kids can want to have alone time! It is interesting the reactions when I explain he’s an introvert. I think some people don’t think about their kids like that. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I also find the introversion/extroversion conversation interesting. 

I have two other points to add.

One is that I read that the modern praise & worship services are very attractive to extroverts. I am on my late 30s and attend the traditional church service. Maybe twice a year the pastor says to raise your hands, and I feel so awkward and self-conscious. I have wondered if in general there is a higher prevalence of extroverts in church and a higher prevalence of introverts seeking spirituality in nature. Maybe the church, in trying to keep and attract members, has used methods that appeal to extroverts and driven out the introverts.

I will have to come back for point number two. 

I am retired clergy and we do consider the extrovert/introvert spiritual differences. Now go on a spiritual retreat and you'll find a whole lot of introverts. 

• Love 7
22 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I’m back! Point two is I have noticed some people not giving introvert kids their introvert time. I have young twins, and one is the most extroverted extrovert to ever extrovert (my husband and I don’t know where she came from), and the other is a definite introvert. He can hang for a while, but when he needs to recharge, he is done socializing. He will go off by himself to play. He will get upset if another child tries to play with him, and the other parent looks at me like, “wtf can’t your kid share?” He has. For hours. Why do we ask more of children than we do of ourselves? I think it’s smart that he goes off by himself instead of melting down, etc. He knows what his body needs. I have even had it suggested to me that he could have autism. Kids can want to have alone time! It is interesting the reactions when I explain he’s an introvert. I think some people don’t think about their kids like that. 

Makes sense.  A friend forwarded me one of those quizzes which points to me being about 2/3 introvert, not shy.  I thought, what?  Took a few different ones - same thing.  Which explains a lot and makes sense.  After being somewhere with people, even those I love and adore, I need my quiet time. And I am never bored with my own company.  So, good job mama!!

• Love 6
21 hours ago, MMEButterfly said:

I am retired clergy and we do consider the extrovert/introvert spiritual differences. Now go on a spiritual retreat and you'll find a whole lot of introverts. 

...while the thought of having to interact during coffee fellowship time after church makes me kind of cringe.  I can't make small talk unless it's someone I know quite well, so I usually end up standing alone waiting on my husband to make his rounds and talk to everyone within a 50-foot radius. 🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

...while the thought of having to interact during coffee fellowship time after church makes me kind of cringe.  I can't make small talk unless it's someone I know quite well, so I usually end up standing alone waiting on my husband to make his rounds and talk to everyone within a 50-foot radius. 🙂

Same.  I'm happy for my daughter, that she's more like her dad, personality-wise.  Extroverts seem to have it easier, from where I sit, anyway.  

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Same.  I'm happy for my daughter, that she's more like her dad, personality-wise.  Extroverts seem to have it easier, from where I sit, anyway.  

Know what's even worse?  Being an extrovert with family and close friends and an introvert with strangers.  Friends and family frequently ask me to give the toast to the bride at weddings and speak at memorial services.  How can you possibly say no, but I die a thousand deaths speaking in front of those in the audience that I may not know.  Family and friends assume because I am relaxed with them in small group settings it would be the same addressing hundreds at once, I do it because I feel honored to be asked but invariably end up in tears of relief when it's over.

• Love 9
41 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

Know what's even worse?  Being an extrovert with family and close friends and an introvert with strangers.  Friends and family frequently ask me to give the toast to the bride at weddings and speak at memorial services.  How can you possibly say no, but I die a thousand deaths speaking in front of those in the audience that I may not know.  Family and friends assume because I am relaxed with them in small group settings it would be the same addressing hundreds at once, I do it because I feel honored to be asked but invariably end up in tears of relief when it's over.

Being an extrovert and being comfortable in a public speaking role are two entirely different things!  I am very much an introvert but public speaking doesn't bother me a bit.  I'm saying rehearsed things and NOT having to try and be charming/interesting on the spot.  But a LOT of extroverts have trouble with public speaking - maybe they feel too constricted?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
23 hours ago, MMEButterfly said:

Ha! Our senior pastor (who is pretty well known and has written dozens of books) often talks about how introverted he is especially compared to his extroverted wife.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DaphneCat said:

Being an extrovert and being comfortable in a public speaking role are two entirely different things!  I am very much an introvert but public speaking doesn't bother me a bit.  I'm saying rehearsed things and NOT having to try and be charming/interesting on the spot.  But a LOT of extroverts have trouble with public speaking - maybe they feel too constricted?

As an introvert I agree with this; when you're in control of the message and have practised, you are ready for it. And, if looking people in the eye is difficult, you can look at or over the tops of their heads and the crowd doesn't know the difference. Introverts also tend to be good observers - they see what kinds of stories connect with people, know what bores themselves and others, and notice how comedic timing works, so they can be great story-tellers in wedding toasts, etc.  

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

Being an extrovert and being comfortable in a public speaking role are two entirely different things!  I am very much an introvert but public speaking doesn't bother me a bit.

I'm and introvert and absolutely detest public speaking of any kind.  When you had to read your book report in class I would take a zero for that portion.  I couldn't bring myself to do it.  I don't mind adding my two cents in work meetings or training, only because the boss wanted everyone to be "engaged" and didn't want to be put on the spot later for an answer or anything to add.

• Love 6

THIS ^^^.  I was the kid in elementary school who, when we had to take turns reading out loud, tried to read ahead and figure out what my part would be so I could be prepared.  In staff meetings, it takes me forever to speak up on something because I rehearse it in my head first.  Oral reports were a nightmare - although as I got older, I would try to volunteer to go first or close to it just to get it over with, otherwise I would stress about it until it was my turn. 🙂

• Love 5

I’m up early and my kitty is asleep on my lap (SO cute, like a warm little meatloaf) so I looked up the LV houses on Realtor.com. 

Are any of them still on the market?  It was hard to tell. 

Holy buckets there’s a ton of homes for sale in LV for 500k +. There are homes for sale with lower prices that the Browns’ with higher end finishes, etc.  

I’m just gobsmacked by the sheer number of homes for sale!  

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, Meowwww said:

I’m up early and my kitty is asleep on my lap (SO cute, like a warm little meatloaf) so I looked up the LV houses on Realtor.com. 

Holy buckets there’s a ton of homes for sale in LV for 500k +. There are homes for sale with lower prices that the Browns’ with higher end finishes, etc.  

The way it looks, Meri (103 days) and Christine’s (292 days) homes are still for sale. Janelle’s is listed as off market, which could mean there’s an offer, or she’s having work done on it, or she’s moving back. 😂

Zillow is easier to navigate, IMO.

Edited by ginger90
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

The way it looks, Meri (103 days) and Christine’s (292 days) homes are still for sale. Janelle’s is listed as off market, which could mean there’s an offer, or she’s having work done on it, or she’s moving back. 😂

Zillow is easier to navigate, IMO.

I think the only one on the market now is Meri’s. At least that’s how i’m seeing it.

ETA: refreshed and see Christine’s home still on market. $599k.

Edited by DakotaJustice
Oops
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Cat lady here, too. ❤️

Which brings me back to our introvert/extrovert discussion.  Generally speaking, are introverts (like me) more apt to have a cat, and extroverts more likely to have a dog?  Not asking you specifically, meowwww, although I'd love to know what you think, too.

A last thought.  Paraphrasing George Carlin, "I like people.  I just like them in short bursts." That describes me pretty well.  

I'll have to check out Zillow and Realtor.com.  I'm sure the day will never come when I can afford half a million for a house.  Lucky I'm not planning to move to Seattle, SoCal, or apparently, LV!

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Cat lady here, too. ❤️

Which brings me back to our introvert/extrovert discussion.  Generally speaking, are introverts (like me) more apt to have a cat, and extroverts more likely to have a dog?  Not asking you specifically, meowwww, although I'd love to know what you think, too.

A last thought.  Paraphrasing George Carlin, "I like people.  I just like them in short bursts." That describes me pretty well.  

I'll have to check out Zillow and Realtor.com.  I'm sure the day will never come when I can afford half a million for a house.  Lucky I'm not planning to move to Seattle, SoCal, or apparently, LV!

I have three cats and I’m an extrovert - also single! 

Just for S&Gs I checked around my home area to see how many homes are on the market. 12 homes total for sale, 3 of which are 3 bedrooms or more.  Most have been on the market 30 days or less. 

The same size area around the Browns -80 homes for sale, many listed for 12 months! Wow.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Also, when you look at the area in satellite view, you'll see several chunks of land that were never built on.   I recall the Browns thinking they got a great deal on the 4 cul-de-sac lots, but that was probably due to the glut of lots for sale, so what they paid was realistic, not a great deal.  Now there is a glut of lots and a glut of large homes for sale.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

Was listening to an NPR show on the housing market and it basically said large homes were very hard to sell.  Anything over 2,300 feet was sitting on the market because of the cost.  

Everyone could have made do with a 3 bedroom home.  Put your largest group  ( Janelle's boys, Christine's girls, Robyn's girls in the master suites of each home. Parents in one room and the smallest group in the other bedroom.  That's what people in the real world do.  

• Love 14
10 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Was listening to an NPR show on the housing market and it basically said large homes were very hard to sell.  Anything over 2,300 feet was sitting on the market because of the cost.  

Everyone could have made do with a 3 bedroom home.  Put your largest group  ( Janelle's boys, Christine's girls, Robyn's girls in the master suites of each home. Parents in one room and the smallest group in the other bedroom.  That's what people in the real world do.  

But, but, but...the Browns are special!  Nothing but the biggest and best for the persecuted plygs!  

Wasn't it Christine that said she was going to "go big or go home" when those McMansions were being built?  Well, big isn't always best, apparently.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Wasn't it Christine that said she was going to "go big or go home" when those McMansions were being built?  Well, big isn't always best, apparently.

True.  While I know the other kids are jealous of Robyn's new rental, my question would be why?  Someone has to clean all that and it ain't gonna be me.  The less room you have the less you have to clean up.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

True.  While I know the other kids are jealous of Robyn's new rental, my question would be why?  Someone has to clean all that and it ain't gonna be me.  The less room you have the less you have to clean up.

Good point.  Robyn has to have another Mindy-like helper.  Getting down and cleaning house would make Plyg Queen break a nail (or a sweat!)  Can't have that happen!  

• Love 4

Growing up in the Seattle area was nice.  I learned to drive in the late 60's, before the traffic was overwhelming.  Now when we visit, I leave the driving to Mr. Xword.  If I had to navigate I-5 or the other freeways/highways nowadays, I couldn't cope.  The only other thing I dislike is the rain.

One couple we're still in contact with live in Mountlake Terrace.  The wife commutes over 50 miles one way, to work.  I would go bonkers!  My daughter lived in Kirkland while working and attending college, and coped with the traffic very well.  She's more like her dad, luckily.

• Love 3

I can reach my toenails but if I trim them myself I'm guaranteed to have an ingrown! And forget about polishing them. I'm clueless. 

I spend a little extra and get gel polish. No waiting for it to dry and it doesn't chip as easily.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 5/1/2019 at 12:54 AM, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I thought I'd posted it earlier but WSJ had an article on the glut of huge homes in the Sunbelt not selling. Built by people who are now seniors and didn't factor in that at some point cleaning all those rooms and going up all those stairs might become a challenge, and their kids aren't interested in owning a big ass house either. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

and their kids aren't interested in owning a big ass house either. 

They might be interested in owning a big ass house - just not one near a good place to retire!  If you don't have a good job in the area - you aren't taking the house.  

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

That's actually a really good idea, Janelle would be the perfect model for the shape wear.

She could show an outfit before and after.... it would be very effective. 

I'm short and about 12 lbs over my ideal weight so for certain outfits I have a little piece of shape wear that works well but I wish it had a better waist band that didn't dig in... I've tried a couple others but they both had the same problem and I don't need or want the type that goes all the way up to your bra.... Just something with a better waist design.

if Janelle had nice shape wear I'd definitely consider it and purchase something.

Here is my hint.  I have a lot of shapewear but I don't like the waist band.  Even the ones that come up to under the bra are not comfortable and seem bulky to me.  I found a pair of exercise tights that comes up high, with a different kind of non roll waistband.  Much more comfortable and enough support to smooth.  I can wear them under pants or something long enough.  I can pull up the legs to knee length.  I found them by accident and am happy I did.

• Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Here is my hint.  I have a lot of shapewear but I don't like the waist band.  Even the ones that come up to under the bra are not comfortable and seem bulky to me.  I found a pair of exercise tights that comes up high, with a different kind of non roll waistband.  Much more comfortable and enough support to smooth.  I can wear them under pants or something long enough.  I can pull up the legs to knee length.  I found them by accident and am happy I did.

Ohhhh good idea, I've been searching shape wear to try and find something, never thought of using exercise tights....  will do!  👍

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/1/2019 at 5:06 PM, Shieldmaiden said:

Shhhhh Xwordfanatik! You’re not supposed to tell people it’s ever sunny and nice here! Our beautiful climate and landscape is a secret...Trust this Puget Sound resident when I say it ONLY ever rains in Seattle!! 😂 

Another Seattle native here. It’s JUST AWFUL. Heh. Actually it’s weird that it doesn’t rain so much these days...but I hope smoky summers are not our new normal. The past two were not fun  

i do not like spiders. Even though the ones in Western WA are basically harmless, the big ones that get in the house freak me out. I’m in the ‘burbs on a wooded lot and so there is “wildlife.” But we rarely get a spider indoors because my husband regularly sprinkled pet-safe diatomaceous earth around the foundation and in the garage. It kills the little critters in a kind of mean way but I just don’t care. I recommend it. 

ETA Oops, sorry, I just realized I thought I was in the Small Talk thread. Must learn to read....

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Another Seattle native here. It’s JUST AWFUL. Heh. Actually it’s weird that it doesn’t rain so much these days...but I hope smoky summers are not our new normal. The past two were not fun  

i do not like spiders. Even though the ones in Western WA are basically harmless, the big ones that get in the house freak me out. I’m in the ‘burbs on a wooded lot and so there is “wildlife.” But we rarely get a spider indoors because my husband regularly sprinkled pet-safe diatomaceous earth around the foundation and in the garage. It kills the little critters in a kind of mean way but I just don’t care. I recommend it. 

You are so right about the last two summers.  I walk regularly for exercise, and due to all the smoky air for weeks on end, I have to resort to mall walking.  Boring!  Almost as bad as a treadmill, which I've tried, and can't stand, even while reading or watching TV.  

You must be a relative.  We had dogs when my daughter was a baby, and our house at the time had shag carpeting.  I freaked out when I saw a flea on my daughter, who was crawling on the carpet.  We gathered diatomaceous earth from a local outcropping, sprinkled it on the carpet, kept our daughter off the carpeted part of the floor for a few days, vacuumed the rug, and never saw another flea.  I give two thumbs up to DE, too.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3