Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

I think I may need an intervention. I went to Goodwill to get some vases and left with a LuLaNo dress and some loud patterned leggings. 

I’m trying to decide whether there’s hope for me yet, or I’m too far gone. I did find the vases, at least. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

The road to recovery begins with being open to the possibility that there is a problem  You have taken the important first step. We are here to support you in your journey. "It takes what it takes." :-)

• Love 14
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

SKIN CARE FOR THE CLUELESS

(and also for those of us who shall be nameless who currently have no real skincare regimen and who possibly baked under a tanning bed like an idiot in the 80's).

And.............GO!

I didn't do the tanning bed . . . but my current "skincare regimen" consists of showering with Oil of Olay body wash, then applying OoO lotion to my face and any currently dry spots on my elbows.  At our house, we call it "Oil of OldLady."

• Love 5

Ten years ago I started using Retin  A, prescribed by a dermatologist.  After a rough start, it was amazing how much smoother and brighter my complexion looked.  Now, ten years later, I have some age related sagging, and a few fine lines, but absolutely no wrinkles or deep lines at all.  

Back then, as far as I know, the only retinol products available were prescription only, but today a form of it is available in many over the counter products.  I still use the prescription stuff, so I can't recommend a brand, but I do highly recommend using a product that contains retinols.  My only regret is that I didn't get with the program twenty (or more) years ago instead of ten.

In addition to the Retin A, I also use generous amounts of sunscreen and moisturizer.  The dermatologist often reminds me that sunscreen is more important than any other ingredient in your skin care routine, and if you use a retinol, it's even more important.   

• Love 5

I make up for splurges on more expensive products by mixing in things I can find on the cheap that work. My retinol night product is not cheap (I can't really comment on how effective it is...I'm 45 and have almost nothing in the way of wrinkles, so I don't know if it's a miracle worker, or if I'd have no lines even if I wasn't using it) and my moisturizer is on the expensive side as well (The Water Cream by Tatcha). Love my Tatcha, it's expensive but a little goes a long way. My skin is quite sensitive and sometimes reacts badly to other moisturizers, so I'm willing to pay for it. (My Mom's skin wasn't as sensitive, she used Oil of Olay her whole life and looked great! Wish my skin didn't react badly to it. Love the "Oil of Old Lady" name, @AZChristian!)

With not much room left in the budget, everything else is pretty reasonable. Rather than an expensive serum, I use plain old Hyaluronic Acid by Asterwood Naturals. When I have some redness or irritation, I have a little White Tea & Cucumber spritz from Astrida Naturals that calms my skin down nicely. I believe I got both of these products from Amazon.

My other splurges are body products, and are Josie Maran...her sugar scrub, and body butter. Not cheap, but my arms and legs get SO dry, especially in the winter, that I really need something extremely hydrating (and some exfoliation, thus the sugar scrub). Josie's line is all about argan oil. Which could be a complete hoax, all I know is it works for me. Tried sugar scrubs from Bath & Body works, they didn't rinse off nicely and since they come in a tube, you can't get out the last 25% of the product! Josie's sugar scrub and body butters come in tubs so I can get every last bit. (My parents always cut the bottoms off the lotion bottle to get the last bits! We can't help it, we're Dutch!) Bath & Body works body lotions also just didn't work as well for me.

It could also be that Josie Maran products do better for my sensitive skin because a lot of them are unscented...although I used her lightly scented Winter Gardenia body butter and was fine with it.

Since I am always sporting what I call "the Arctic tan", I tried Josie's body butter that also adds a little color...HUGE mistake, I was orange and immediately jumped back in the shower to scrub the horrific crap off. Then I posted an online review to warn others and saw reviews from some who didn't scrub it off immediately had it ruin their sheets and clothing!

I'm never going to fake bake or lay in the sun again, and unless someone here has a self-tanner that actually works and isn't gross, I'm never doing that again either. Given everyone's remarks about how orange Meri is, I'm guessing none of you will recommend a self tanner to me. :-) There's absolutely nothing wrong with pale white skin, I don't know how we became a culture that is desperate to change it, as I was for years. Just like there is nothing wrong with beautiful, natural dark skin. When I see gorgeous women of Indian descent, Native American descent, etc, I kind of hate my pale fish belly coloring. I think we just want what we don't have! But they are gorgeous because it's their natural color. Even if I could get that color from a self-tanner, I probably couldn't pull it off. Fake tans usually look exactly like what they are - fake. I need to just accept that I am a Scandanavian-Dutch-English mutt, and deal with it! :-)

Looking at Meri probably helps me more than anything else! Ugh. That awful orange-ness...how can she think it looks good?

• Love 5

I find Amazon very helpful when I'm considering a product of any kind but especially skin/facial/hair products. I don't have a clue about what % of buyers post reviews there but the ones who do tell me a lot more than any magazine articles or infomercials do. It's not unusual for products to have hundreds of reviews and some people post before and after photos, good and bad.

I had a couple products in mind after reading "the moisturizer posts" here and, after navigating through some reviews on Amazon, ended up ordering Mederma AG (alpha glycolic) face cream. 1st day liked it; 2nd day liked it even more; 3rd day wowzer. Years of flaky eyebrows, large pores, mysterious bumps that are immune to every effort - gone, and my skin feels thicker (in a good way). Plus, I have Prime so I get 2-day free shipping. I am Amazon's bitch.

I was curious about the "newest thing" called Plexaderm, does it flake or cake,  can you apply moisturizer or makeup over it, etc. I got my answers from Amazon plus insight into their shitty customer service. It costs $60; if you want to return for refund they offer to refund half and let you keep it. They will refund in full if you pay shipping but "after checking with my supervisor we're just gonna toss it anyway so go ahead and keep it, and we will refund in full." Most people don't want to hassle returning it and are happy with half their money back. Gah!

Edited by suomi
typo
  • Love 1

As a teen I took zinc daily, after experiencing acne. It was like a miracle to me, at the time.

I think moisturizing is great, but I think the massaging plays a big part.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, suomi said:

I find Amazon very helpful when I'm considering a product of any kind but especially skin/facial/hair products. I don't have a clue about what % of buyers post reviews there but the ones who do tell me a lot more than any magazine articles or infomercials do. It's not unusual for products to have hundreds of reviews and some people post before and after photos, good and bad.

Amazon is my "go to" for reviews as well. I like the fact that they post percentages of each ranking - if the top two ratings don't equal at least 75%, I tend to avoid something.  Nothing is perfect and some of the one-stars are about packaging or delivery so I give those a pass.  But I have definitely made decisions based on those things, especially if they are verified buyers posting them.

• Love 5

This almost-60 life-long desert gal, who worked outside her entire life, uses Savannah Bee Body Butter (Amazon and costly) for overall body moisture. You don't need much. I do my own glycolic face peels at home and it has definitely helped the fine lines and sun spots. Instead of bag balm or those other petroleum-based goops, I use an all natural salve that a friend of mine, Lee Bennion, makes called Mom's Stuff. Better than anything I have ever used. She started making it for Grand Canyon river guides (our hands and feet are horrible from the sand and water) then went commercial. She grows most of the ingredients, harvests others and purchases only the best grade for the rest. Mom's Stuff has healing properties due to the ingredients. My 86 year old dad has cleared up the big dark splotches on his hands. My diabetic grandfather used it on his sores. I use it instead of neosporin. She has also developed day and night balms too.  Pinion is a base for the everyday salve, so you smell a bit like Christmas! www.momsstuffsalve.com The testimonials say it all. (unpaid endorsement!)

And to tie that in with the Browns, my friend Lee's great great-grandmother was one of John D. Lee's wives! He was the operator of the ferry across the Colorado River at the beginning of the Grand Canyon and also the scapegoat for the Mormon's Mountain Meadows Massacre. There hasn't been polygamy in Lee's family for a while, but it is a small world here in the southwest...

• Love 5

Thanks @Kohola3! I'm just happy to help out a small business woman who makes an incredible product.

I forgot to add my best skin regime product! The 8 piece Asian Exfoliating Bath Washcloth by Italy Towel on Amazon. $4.98 a pack. The absolute best exfoliating product I have ever found and dirt cheap. It's a little pocket of some kind of material but when wet it stretches over your hand. Scrub your skin hard and it will freak you out when you see the rolls of gray dead skin. The red cloth is rougher than the green. You aren't supposed to use it on your face but I have thick tough skin, so once a week I do give it a light scrub. Helps with the glycolic peel I do the next day.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Galloway Cave said:

I forgot to add my best skin regime product! The 8 piece Asian Exfoliating Bath Washcloth by Italy Towel on Amazon. $4.98 a pack. The absolute best exfoliating product I have ever found and dirt cheap.

Definitely trying this! :-) I'm hoping my sensitive skin will be ok but since it's a towel that goes over my hand, I think I can just adjust how hard I scrub if it bothers me. This once a week, sugar scrub the rest of the time, and hopefully I'll be in spa heaven.

Not many things in this world that you can try for five bucks! Usually you are out a lot more money than that if you hate something!

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Sasha888 said:

Not many things in this world that you can try for five bucks!

I was looking at the fancy, expensive hand mitts for exfoliating and found these babies. Look like nothing, cheap packaging but work great. The green mitt isn't as rough as the red one, so you can adjust using that one too. I can't tell you how many loofas and scrubbies I have gone through trying to find one that works.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

I was looking at the fancy, expensive hand mitts for exfoliating and found these babies. Look like nothing, cheap packaging but work great. The green mitt isn't as rough as the red one, so you can adjust using that one too. I can't tell you how many loofas and scrubbies I have gone through trying to find one that works.

In for one, thanks for the recommendation. I’m so tired of my legs itching despite heavy moisturizing twice a day, I’m hoping this will help. The dry air is already killing me this winter 🙁

• Love 4

I have had chronic migraines for 20 years. In the last 6-7 years, they have increased to 10-17 per month. One day with a migraine/whacked out on migraine med (Naratriptan), one day hung over and screwed up from the migraine and drugs, maybe a day off then repeat. Several other drugs I was taking caused cognitive problems. In May, a new drug that prevents migraines was approved by the FDA. First of it's kind, all other drugs suppress the migraine after it starts. Aimovig is an injection, done once a month. It takes a couple months to build up in your brain, but it has reduced my migraines to 3-4 per month. I have been able to go off of the drug that caused the cognitive problems. Best part- the manufacturer has a free two month trial for new patients, if it takes a while to get insurance approval the manufacturer will continue with free monthly injections for up to one year, then once you have insurance approval you can get a co-pay card that reduces your co-payment to $5 per injection.

I started my injections in August. It's like I have my life back again.

• Love 15

Were you ever put on verapamil to try to prevent migraines, @Galloway Cave? I am currently taking this at night. It was recommended by a neurologist. I think it has reduced the number of migraines I get somewhat...but if I run out, I'm in big trouble. That's an automatic migraine for me, and I don't always notice until it's time to take it at night that I'm out...so "ohhhhh shit, I'm out of verapamil" is a big deal.

SO glad your new med is working for you because that is a terribly high number of migraines!!

I take naratriptan for mine because Imitrex caused stomach problems. I've never had a negative reaction to naratriptan, so I'm reluctant to give it up. Do you still take it when you do get migraines?

Sometimes though, naratriptan just doesn't get rid of the migraine. When that happens, I end up at the ER. Usually they give me shots of Ativan and Fentanyl. The Fentanyl may be because I am allergic to some other pain killers like Vicodin and Morphine.

Fentanyl shots don't bother me (although the first time I had them I told my mother "they've successfully distracted me from my other pain by LIGHTING MY ASS ON FIRE!!" ha ha eventually I realized that's a short lived pain, who cares)...but one time I happened to get a migraine partway through prep for an endoscopy. Since they already had an IV line in, they just put some Fentanyl in my IV...instant pain relief, but WHOA, head rush and kinda high for awhile! 

My mom however had a bad time "coming down" from Fentenyl. She was dying of cancer, and in the hospital had been on it, and when she transferred to a nursing home, they took her off the Fentanyl and she called me saying really crazy stuff, and she was really convinced it was true. I think she was taken off a high dose suddenly...they gave her some fentanyl patches after that, slowly went down, and then off completely and switched her to morphine since she is not allergic to morphine like I am. Maybe I've just never had a high enough dose of the Fentanyl to have had a problem coming down off of it.

My number of migraines hasn't decreased a lot due to the verapamil, but some...and it's been a long time since I've had one that the naratriptan couldn't handle and the resulting ER trip, so I guess that's good. 

I should add that I've never had the number of migraines per month that you were experiencing. That is downright debilitating. My guess is I get around 4-6 migraines a month. This really varies. I'm hoping my Lasik eye surgery will help, even though my surgeon warned me not to expect that. I am about 2 months out from my surgery so I can't really tell yet.

I also can never really tell for certain which prescriptions are causing problems (except ones like naratriptan since I take that only when I have a migraine)...I am on I think 13 different prescriptions and have been for the last 11 years.

Question for anyone who may also have migraines...my brother says a co-worker who suffers from them has a "pen" (similar to an epi-pen) and when she gets a migraine, she can give herself a shot and she's right as rain in no time. I've never been offered a solution like that, anybody know anything about it? It would beat the heck out of an ER visit, where I'm going to get two shots anyway.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

Were you ever put on verapamil to try to prevent migraines

No. I was on Imatrex until it stopped working, then Naratriptan. There is actually no medication to prevent migraines other than the new Aimovig injection. All other meds were developed for other issues but were found to help stop migraines after they developed or helped reduce the amount of migraines in some people. I took Topiramate to reduce migraines for five years and it was the drug that gave me cognitive problems. It was also very hard on my kidneys, and I already have chronic kidney disease. I also take an anti-depressant that allegedly reduces the amount of migraines, but with both the Topiramate and the anti-depressant, I was still having 10-17 per month. Aimovig is the only thing that has worked. I really suggest talking to your doc about it or at least go online to read about it. My migraine doc at Mayo Clinic was involved in the trials and saw 50-75% improvement in chronic migraine sufferers. I had to quit work as a river guide due to my migraines and my back (spinal fusion and several more herniated disks). One kind of strange-good side affect I had from starting the shots- I got back my sense of smell, which had slowly faded due to the migraines.

Once I had 12 migraines in a row, Imatrex didn't work, and ended up in the ER where I got the two shots. I was still in pain. If I get a string of migraines, I have to take steroids to break the string. But I am still wiped. Haven't had that problem since I started Aimovig. Right now the only thing that will cause a migraine for me is extreme mental stress (I am the personal representative for my grandfather's estate and am dealing with some shit there right now). I am still avoiding trigger foods.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

Question for anyone who may also have migraines...my brother says a co-worker who suffers from them has a "pen" (similar to an epi-pen) and when she gets a migraine, she can give herself a shot and she's right as rain in no time. I've never been offered a solution like that, anybody know anything about it? It would beat the heck out of an ER visit, where I'm going to get two shots anyway.

I had one a long time ago and it was Imitrex.  Turns out it gave me vomiting so not useful for me.

My "magic assistant" with migraines was menopause and exercises to prevent migraines.  As long as I do the exercises four times a week, migraines are less often and milder sometimes one or two a month.  I take only 5 mg Maxalt now.

• Love 1
On 12/7/2018 at 1:18 PM, Galloway Cave said:

This almost-60 life-long desert gal, who worked outside her entire life, uses Savannah Bee Body Butter (Amazon and costly) for overall body moisture. You don't need much. I do my own glycolic face peels at home and it has definitely helped the fine lines and sun spots. Instead of bag balm or those other petroleum-based goops, I use an all natural salve that a friend of mine, Lee Bennion, makes called Mom's Stuff. Better than anything I have ever used. She started making it for Grand Canyon river guides (our hands and feet are horrible from the sand and water) then went commercial. She grows most of the ingredients, harvests others and purchases only the best grade for the rest. Mom's Stuff has healing properties due to the ingredients. My 86 year old dad has cleared up the big dark splotches on his hands. My diabetic grandfather used it on his sores. I use it instead of neosporin. She has also developed day and night balms too.  Pinion is a base for the everyday salve, so you smell a bit like Christmas! www.momsstuffsalve.com The testimonials say it all. (unpaid endorsement!)

And to tie that in with the Browns, my friend Lee's great great-grandmother was one of John D. Lee's wives! He was the operator of the ferry across the Colorado River at the beginning of the Grand Canyon and also the scapegoat for the Mormon's Mountain Meadows Massacre. There hasn't been polygamy in Lee's family for a while, but it is a small world here in the southwest...

I'm going to give this stuff a try! Thanks for sharing. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

There is actually no medication to prevent migraines other than the new Aimovig injection. All other meds were developed for other issues but were found to help stop migraines after they developed or helped reduce the amount of migraines in some people.

That was my understanding of it also. My verapamil was, I believe actually meant for....blood pressure? Don't quote me on that! But yes it was not developed for migraines.

7 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

I am still avoiding trigger foods.

Can you tell me what they are (PM if you want)...I've never been able to figure out any food that might be giving me trouble, but I'll be some are!

Thanks for the names of the meds in the pens, @suomi

6 hours ago, Absolom said:

As long as I do the exercises four times a week, migraines are less often and milder sometimes one or two a month.

Can you tell me what exercises you do? PM if you want. This is news to me! Excited to learn more. :-)

Ever get the feeling after you've gotten rid of a migraine that you can still feel "where it was"? I mentioned this to my brother and he looked at me like I was nuts. I told him seriously, after the meds have gotten rid of the migraine, it doesn't hurt anymore but I can feel sort of an emptiness where the pain was. He can't quite understand what I'm talking about! ;-)

My mom used to have a few migraines so maybe the menopause thing worked for her, because just stopped having them. She always had a migraine before family gatherings because her sisters were such bitches! ;-) Maybe it was when the family gatherings stopped? ha ha ha! I know last time I had to be in the same room with said sisters' bitchy kids I sure as hell got a migraine!

We are currently settling an estate too @Galloway Cave, so I feel for you. I'm executor with all my siblings though and we disagree on zip...big fight in my Dad's family over an estate once and my Mom would worry about that happening between us kids, and I always her we are NEVER going to argue about material items, even when they are family heirlooms, etc. And we didn't. One brother & I have no children, so we told our other brother anything we take eventually will go to your kids anyway! Who else are we going to leave it to?

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Sasha888 said:

Can you tell me what exercises you do? PM if you want. This is news to me! Excited to learn more. :-)

I do these plus yoga for migraines.  There are several yoga videos online to choose from and I've kind of picked an exercise here and there.  http://thesurvivaldoctor.com/2013/09/11/stretches-for-headaches/

It can take a week or two to see any benefit so stick with it doing them daily for at least two weeks before making a judgment whether it helps you or not.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 2

My trigger foods are anything fermented (esp pickles), nitrates (no deli meat or hot dogs) and chocolate (which pisses me off). I'm crunchy, so I don't eat processed food, drink sodas or use much sugar. I am also triggered by chemical smells and weather changes. 

I'm going to give those exercises a try too!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

Ever get the feeling after you've gotten rid of a migraine that you can still feel "where it was"? I mentioned this to my brother and he looked at me like I was nuts. I told him seriously, after the meds have gotten rid of the migraine, it doesn't hurt anymore but I can feel sort of an emptiness where the pain was. He can't quite understand what I'm talking about! ;-)

*raises hand* This is me!  I know exactly what you mean.

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with ocular migraines?  For some reason I've been getting them much more than the regular old migraines in recent years.  They're not painful but it is annoying to have a blindspot for 30-60 minutes.  I'm terrified of getting one while I'm driving.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with ocular migraines?  For some reason I've been getting them much more than the regular old migraines in recent years.  They're not painful but it is annoying to have a blindspot for 30-60 minutes.  I'm terrified of getting one while I'm driving.

I don't know if this is technically an ocular migraine, but sometimes the first sign of a migraine for me is weird vision...an aura, or "crystal vision" (I don't know if that's the accepted term for it, but if you've experienced that strange feeling like you're looking through a faceted gem, or an old beveled window, you know what I mean). Anyway...if I see those things, I'm quickly going to develop a full on migraine, so I haven't had the "no pain" thing but I can keep these at bay by being faithful about wearing sunglasses anytime I'm out in the sun. Even if it's not a very sunny day, I still wear sunglasses. I look like someone who's on the run from the law but I'll pay for it if I don't do it!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

No. I was on Imatrex until it stopped working, then Naratriptan. There is actually no medication to prevent migraines other than the new Aimovig injection. All other meds were developed for other issues but were found to help stop migraines after they developed or helped reduce the amount of migraines in some people. I took Topiramate to reduce migraines for five years and it was the drug that gave me cognitive problems. It was also very hard on my kidneys, and I already have chronic kidney disease. I also take an anti-depressant that allegedly reduces the amount of migraines, but with both the Topiramate and the anti-depressant, I was still having 10-17 per month. Aimovig is the only thing that has worked. I really suggest talking to your doc about it or at least go online to read about it. My migraine doc at Mayo Clinic was involved in the trials and saw 50-75% improvement in chronic migraine sufferers. I had to quit work as a river guide due to my migraines and my back (spinal fusion and several more herniated disks). One kind of strange-good side affect I had from starting the shots- I got back my sense of smell, which had slowly faded due to the migraines.

Once I had 12 migraines in a row, Imatrex didn't work, and ended up in the ER where I got the two shots. I was still in pain. If I get a string of migraines, I have to take steroids to break the string. But I am still wiped. Haven't had that problem since I started Aimovig. Right now the only thing that will cause a migraine for me is extreme mental stress (I am the personal representative for my grandfather's estate and am dealing with some shit there right now). I am still avoiding trigger foods.

Both my mom and sister had migraines.  My sister would take the Imatrex injections at home.  But they were very expensive, so she only used them when it was super bad.  Both had a hysterectomy and migraines are now maybe 1 or 2 a year if that.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

*raises hand* This is me!  I know exactly what you mean.

I just had a series of daily ocular migraines, after not having any for years.  So I sat down and said, "What have I done differently recently?"  The only change in my eating habits was having made a batch of fudge and some oatmeal cookies; in both recipes I had substituted Splenda for sugar to lower the calories.  After the ocular migraines started, I began googling, and was surprised to find that artificial sweeteners can trigger them.  Once I stopped eating them, the OMs went away.

And I have gotten one while driving in the past.  You pretty much HAVE to pull over at the first safe place.  Put some music on your radio and just relax until it passes.  The ocular shenanigans aren't painful (thank goodness), but they can sure make it unsafe to do much of anything but wait them out.

Edited by AZChristian
"Splenda" has an "l" . . .
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

I don't know if this is technically an ocular migraine, but sometimes the first sign of a migraine for me is weird vision...an aura, or "crystal vision" (I don't know if that's the accepted term for it, but if you've experienced that strange feeling like you're looking through a faceted gem, or an old beveled window, you know what I mean). Anyway...if I see those things, I'm quickly going to develop a full on migraine, so I haven't had the "no pain" thing but I can keep these at bay by being faithful about wearing sunglasses anytime I'm out in the sun. Even if it's not a very sunny day, I still wear sunglasses. I look like someone who's on the run from the law but I'll pay for it if I don't do it!

Good description.  I have compared it to looking at things while underwater, or watching a dubbed tv show where the voices and mouths don't match up.  First I get that weird aura, then I get the overpowering feeling that I want to cry - which is odd, because I also get that urge to cry when I'm at the tail end of the migraine too.

Mine were definitely related to being pre-menopausal, and now that I'm towards end of that barrel of fun and games, they are tailing off significantly.  At least I think that's what's happening - I have also taken to yoga in the past few years, walk every day that I can, and per my doctor's advice am sticking to a more even sleep/wake cycle.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

I'm susceptible to ocular migraines and am also very sensitive to light, especially florescent (and that shit is EVERYWHERE, so I have to have sunglasses just about everywhere). I'm on the spectrum too, so that could be a factor in my sensitivity. I haven't discovered many other remedies but I do run at least 10k 6 days a week and eat plant based as much as possible. 

Another major issue for me is chronic insomnia. It is BAD, every night, for the last 11 years. Nothing seems to work. I could run 20 miles and still wouldn't be able to sleep. I've tried just about everything recommended and do everything recommended. Melatonin gives me terrible nightmares and paralyzes me while I'm awake, so that's no go. Diphenhydramine makes me jittery. I don't drink alcohol and don't consume caffeine after noon (water only). There's practically nothing that works for me and it's very frustrating. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I just had a series of daily ocular migraines, after not having any for years.  So I sat down and said, "What have I done differently recently?"  The only change in my eating habits was having made a batch of fudge and some oatmeal cookies; in both recipes I had substituted Splenda for sugar to lower the calories.  After the ocular migraines started, I began googling, and was surprised to find that artificial sweeteners can trigger them.  Once I stopped eating them, the OMs went away.

And I have gotten one while driving in the past.  You pretty much HAVE to pull over at the first safe place.  Put some music on your radio and just relax until it passes.  The ocular shenanigans aren't painful (thank goodness), but they can sure make it unsafe to do much of anything but wait them out.

I used to have migraines but I haven't had them much since I got out of my 20's thankfully.  My grandfather used to have them and they were so bad the doctor used to come to his house when my mom was a kid to give him morphine.  I think I was prescribed Imitrex at 18 (put under the tongue).  I jumped in here because artificial sweeteners give me the worst headaches.  What is weird is I used to drink a lot of diet coke until about 9 years ago but stopped and then I tried one about 5 years ago and instant bad headache.  I cannot have aspartame, sucralose, or any of the substitutes without pain.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I jumped in here because artificial sweeteners give me the worst headaches.  What is weird is I used to drink a lot of diet coke until about 9 years ago but stopped and then I tried one about 5 years ago and instant bad headache.  I cannot have aspartame, sucralose, or any of the substitutes without pain.  

They're on the list on potential triggers for migraine.  It's fairly common for people to get migraines with them as is alcohol.  One of my daughters can almost always avoid migraines if she avoids those two things and doesn't drive into the sun very often.

• Love 3

@Sasha888 when Mr. lookeyloo had the frequent migraines, he always said that the meds took the pain away but didn't take the rest of it away, and he still felt awful, so don't know if that's what you mean.  Seems like a migraine is in the brain so that would make sense.  He was very debilitated - he dragged himself to work and many an evening would stand (because lying down made it worse) in a dark corner crying.  And there were trips to the ER.  We had no life, really.  And, turns out, unbeknownst to us,  I was poisoning him on the food I was feeding him. He went to a lot of doctors and was at his wits end because either treatment didn't work, or it was hokey to him.  We heard of a doctor who treated things other doctors gave up on. She is a real MD.  He said he had the most thorough workup - first on paper, then with the nurse and then with the doctor.  It was hours of "interrogation", haha.  then blood work, and then she said she thought his triggers were mostly food, and put him on an elimination diet, told him he would feel worse before he felt better, as things left his system. She was right.  Then put him on a rotation diet, and we figured out his particular triggers.  Sometimes weather will bring something on, but nothing Extra Strength Excedrin won't fix.  He is mostly good now, but did have to give up his favorite foods which he said was easy because of the misery he was in.  His late mother, bless her heart, kept saying "you can cheat just this once".  Well, only if she wanted a puking, crying, incapacitated son for a day or two!!  I know second hand what it is like to suffer, so I hope y'all can figure it out.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I'm susceptible to ocular migraines and am also very sensitive to light, especially florescent (and that shit is EVERYWHERE, so I have to have sunglasses just about everywhere). I'm on the spectrum too, so that could be a factor in my sensitivity. I haven't discovered many other remedies but I do run at least 10k 6 days a week and eat plant based as much as possible. 

Another major issue for me is chronic insomnia. It is BAD, every night, for the last 11 years. Nothing seems to work. I could run 20 miles and still wouldn't be able to sleep. I've tried just about everything recommended and do everything recommended. Melatonin gives me terrible nightmares and paralyzes me while I'm awake, so that's no go. Diphenhydramine makes me jittery. I don't drink alcohol and don't consume caffeine after noon (water only). There's practically nothing that works for me and it's very frustrating. 

Me too. When I was still working, I'd feel a headache coming on as soon as I got to my office. In about 2 hours it was almost a guaranteed migraine.

I no longer work, so I can avoid them a lot better now. I have fibromyalgia and between that and the migraines, I got so bad I finally had to quit working and went on disability. (I made that sound so easy...it isn't. It took 4 years of court battles.) I'm sure fibro doesn't help the migraines.

I hear ya on the sleep stuff...fibro causes sleep disturbances. Either I don't sleep, I sleep but don't get deep restful sleep, or I may get in a cycle where I sleep 14-18 hours at a crack. And I'm all over the map on times, sometimes I sleep all day and am awake in the evening...I'm on a bad cycle now, I just woke up at 4:30 PM and I probably won't go to bed until 6 AM. All I can do when that happens is try to work my way back, an hour at a time, to sleeping at night and being awake during the day.

I've got thyroid disease too, which doesn't help. Mine's under active, my Dad's was over active. He eventually got off thyroid meds, which is rare. I'll mostly likely be on mine for the rest of my life. My brother has the same thing. We tease our other brother about his "perfectly functioning thyroid gland" because he's the only one in the family who has one! :-) Anyway, the meds help but sometimes I'm really dragging and just can't wake up and I suspect the thyroid is at fault.

I'm on so many medications it's nuts. I am hoping to work my way off some of them because my stomach is getting really bad. I was told several years ago I didn't have an ulcer YET but I was getting close. I think it's worse now, so after the holidays I'm getting off sugar and going very low carb as I've heard this might help. I think anything that helps with my other pain will help migraines too, because if I'm in pain I'm stressed out.

I've never shown any sensitivity to artificial sweeteners, but I definitely can't have more than one glass of wine.

Regarding the sleep issues, that is some really debilitating stuff. For me, since I can no longer work, it isn't as big of a deal. I just keep going and going until I finally drop. If that takes days, and then I sleep for 20 or more hours, it's kind of like well, this isn't good for me and all that, but I've got nowhere to be.

My brothers are worried about the number of prescriptions I'm on for a lot of reasons but I'm mainly hoping to work off some of them due to my stomach. That raw, irritated stomach, when it acts up, is incredibly painful. I'd love fewer pills for other reasons too, but that is the main one. For 11 years I've had to down over a dozen meds and I'm just sick of it. I've put on tons of weight and ruined my stomach, I still don't feel better, and I've lost my career. I don't expect a change in diet to cure fibromyalgia but I think I can reduce meds, feel better, and perhaps eliminate some of the pills.

I had a scary reaction several years ago...suddenly my face went numb and I couldn't hear very well. My Mom was talking to me and she was blurry and sounded strange, then I could barely  hear her at all and when my face went numb, we were scared and went to the ER. They didn't know what to do or what it was. When it happened again, she and I realized we'd been planting flowers both times. Now I avoid fertilizer and potting soil and it's never happened again!

So many chemicals in this world we live in these days. And none of that helps migraine sufferers! @lookeyloo I feel just awful for your husband. My migraines have never reached that level...I can only imagine how horrible that is.

• Love 4

Migraines with Aura and Ocular Migraines are two different things. My mom has ocular migraines, usually associated with stress. I have migraines without aura. Mine start with a shot of pain from one temple to the other, right through my eyes. Then my neck, where it joins my skull, starts throbbing. Once the migraine starts, I am light sensitive. I wear tinted glasses because of this. I have never had the aura before a migraine or smelled weird smells. And my migraines actually got worse after menopause. Go figure.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

Other than Kody having a more receding hairline, it's pretty close.  

The denim shirt helps, too.

Yep, even has those beady little shark eyes. Great catch, @Teafortwo! Do you suppose we could ask TLC to re-cast Kody? Let's see this guy run around the perimeter of the new land in Flagstaff like a jackass and see if anyone can even tell the difference.

I mean, he's got to have a much better personality than Kody...it might be refreshing to watch women fight over a guy who is actually worth a shit.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, Sasha888 said:

Yep, even has those beady little shark eyes. Great catch, @Teafortwo! Do you suppose we could ask TLC to re-cast Kody? Let's see this guy run around the perimeter of the new land in Flagstaff like a jackass and see if anyone can even tell the difference.

I mean, he's got to have a much better personality than Kody...it might be refreshing to watch women fight over a guy who is actually worth a shit.

Hell ya!  There are enough guys in the band they could have one each plus a spare.  

• Love 7

My MIL and my daughter both suffer with migraines- it can be so debilitating. Many people have found relief with cannabis- CBD oil, CBD/THC ointments, vaping, etc..... It has a flawless safety profile, is all natural ( if grown and processed organically), and does amazing things for many neurological disorders ( MS, Parkinson’s Disease, Epilepsy, Migraine). 

• Love 7

Ha! Kody WISHES he were cool enough to be in 38 Special! 

Also going to try the Mom's Salve products, so thanks, @Galloway Cave! We are really, really strict about using only cruelty-free products so I'm frequently frustrated by beauty product conversations (I'll get excited to try something and then see they aren't cruelty free, and play myself the saddest trombone); I loved what Mom's had to say about it!

"DO YOU DO ANIMAL TESTING?

No. We try new products out on our own skin!  We are huge animals lovers and are committed to cruelty-free practices. Once a product goes into production we use them on our pets, but only because our salves are great for soothing sore paws, sunburned noses, cuts and scrapes."

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Pachengala said:

Also going to try the Mom's Salve products, so thanks, @Galloway Cave!

I just ordered some and the owner is just delightful to deal with.  Will start using them religiously to see how it goes.

8 minutes ago, Pachengala said:

Ha! Kody WISHES he were cool enough to be in 38 Special! 

He's more like a pop gun.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

I just ordered some and the owner is just delightful to deal with.  Will start using them religiously to see how it goes.

He's more like a pop gun.

Or a Burp Gun.  Mattel had those in the late 50's or early 60's.  I can just see our dear polygamous patriarch belching hugely, after a mill (meal) of Fish Stick Tacos, or Mock Tapioca Whatzit.  

• Love 3
On 12/7/2018 at 4:04 PM, Galloway Cave said:

I forgot to add my best skin regime product! The 8 piece Asian Exfoliating Bath Washcloth by Italy Towel on Amazon. $4.98 a pack. The absolute best exfoliating product I have ever found and dirt cheap.

Tried this yesterday, loved it! I do sugar scrubs regularly so I didn't get a huge amount of dead skin, but I certainly did get some that the sugar scrub alone is not getting! So this once a week, and sugar scrub the rest of the time and my skin will be (and already is) feeling a lot better this winter!

Anyone have anything they love for their nails? I'm always looking for something that will keep my nails from breaking. I could grow long gorgeous fingernails my whole life until my thyroid decided to stop working. :-( Now they are the most brittle, pathetic nails on the planet. Grocery shopping and putting the groceries away? That's at least one broken nail. Cleaning the house? Two nails, for sure. Take a shower? Probably going to have one bad rip. I don't even know how nails this short can still break! At this point it's not about pretty nails, it's about having at least one painful finger at all times because they've broken off down past the quick. 

• Love 4
On 12/14/2018 at 8:41 PM, Sasha888 said:

Tried this yesterday, loved it! I do sugar scrubs regularly so I didn't get a huge amount of dead skin, but I certainly did get some that the sugar scrub alone is not getting! So this once a week, and sugar scrub the rest of the time and my skin will be (and already is) feeling a lot better this winter!

Anyone have anything they love for their nails? I'm always looking for something that will keep my nails from breaking. I could grow long gorgeous fingernails my whole life until my thyroid decided to stop working. :-( Now they are the most brittle, pathetic nails on the planet. Grocery shopping and putting the groceries away? That's at least one broken nail. Cleaning the house? Two nails, for sure. Take a shower? Probably going to have one bad rip. I don't even know how nails this short can still break! At this point it's not about pretty nails, it's about having at least one painful finger at all times because they've broken off down past the quick. 

Thyroid issues here too, and yes, nails don't last  long.  Even if I can get mine all to be the same short length, as soon as we take a trip, they all break off anyway.  Bummer.  There is a flouride treatment I got on QVC called Pro Strong but I don't remember to use it.  I think when I did there was some improvement.  

• Love 2
On 12/14/2018 at 6:41 PM, Sasha888 said:

I'm always looking for something that will keep my nails from breaking.

I take Biotin for my nails and hair. They thinned out after my Thyroid flamed out. I keep my nails very short but when they do grow out a tiny bit, they are less brittle.

• Love 4