Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

What gorgeous music was played for the memorium.

While sad, I always feel ennobled with the wonderful pictures of the honorees.  We really can be wondrous creatures.  

No man ever looked better and more sexy, including Cary Grant, than Burt Reynolds in that famous shot from Smokey and the Bandit which was just used.  It's the imp in him that elevates it to ultimate status, imo.

• Love 4

I have to give the Academy credit. I think when they couldn’t find a host, they were forced to figure out how to revamp the entire show, and, so far, I’ve been really impressed. I really like having the orchestra play over the In Memoriam rather than a singer who they’ll cut to every 30 seconds.  This was about remembering, not some overwrought singing. Plus, the show doesn’t feel like it’s gotten bogged down in stupid stunts. (I love you, Ellen, but the pizza delivery and selfie stuff was stupid).  This show has moved along, and they may be done early!

• Love 23

The John Williams song was beautiful and should be used every year.  I hated when they would get a singer, and we would keep having to cut to him/her rather than to the photos of the people we were supposed to be honoring.  This was perfect.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, thuganomics85 said:

I am so fucking confused: drinking Hennessy will give me superpowers?!

That ad looked like something I would expect to be running on a loop in the television department of an appliance store.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Oh, I don't know. "Evita" was the movie that convinced me that Madonna really could act. I personally felt she was robbed.

I agree that she’s a better actress than people give her credit for. Her issue is the roles she tended to pick. For every Desperately Seeking Susan, A League Of Their Own, and Evita, there was...every other movie she made. Songwriting is where she should have tried to get a chance at an Oscar. 

• Love 9
Just now, irisheyes said:

Plus, the show doesn’t feel like it’s gotten bogged down in stupid stunts. (I love you, Ellen, but the pizza delivery and selfie stuff was stupid).  

I thought it was cute, but it went on too long.

• Love 7
Just now, scarynikki12 said:
9 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Oh, I don't know. "Evita" was the movie that convinced me that Madonna really could act. I personally felt she was robbed.

I agree that she’s a better actress than people give her credit for. Her issue is the roles she tended to pick. For every Desperately Seeking Susan, A League Of Their Own, and Evita, there was...every other movie she made

She seems to do best when she plays versions of herself. Except for "Body Of Evidence".

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Annnnnd, they forgot Brody Stevens.

I think that's probably because of the short window between his death and the ceremony (he only died two days ago).  I was actually surprised to see Albert Finney in there, because I thought that his death might have been too close for inclusion (in past years I'm pretty sure that if someone died within a month of the ceremony, the excuse for leaving them out was that it was too late to change the montage).

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

What gorgeous music was played for the memorium.

I don't know but I wonder if they have an orchestra now to drown out the unequal applause during that segment.

1 minute ago, Fostersmom said:

I just watched Bohemian Rhapsody today and I couldn't agree more. It almost looked like a spoof and not a real thing. 

That's what I'm afraid of.  I absolutely adore Elton, but the movie looks questionable.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Lady Iris said:

Was that an original by John Williams? It sounded familiar but I couldn’t place it. 

my only quibble with the in memorium was the music. john williams music all sounds the same to me and leaves me cold. 

however, i very much liked that they kept the camera steady so we could actually see the name. 

so, next year, keep the camera the same, replace the music -- yo yo ma playing bach would work for me -- and i'll be a happy camper.

• Love 4