Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The one shoo-in win of the night.  I still think Gaga should've won a couple of years ago for "Til It Happens to You" (which got ROBBED by that ridiculous ho-hum James Bond song by...who was it again?), but "Shallow" was a pretty good song, too.

• Love 5

So wait...minutes from 10:30 and we still haven’t gotten to the Memoriam portion of these events? It defies logic how they run this thing. 

Finally, she got her award, now they can all shut the hell up about one of the most annoying songs I have ever heard in my life. 

Edited by AnswersWanted
  • Love 3
Just now, scarynikki12 said:

Kendrick didn’t want to perform or was unavailable. 

Didn't want to. He's had no interest in the nomination. Never acknowledged it, didn't attend the Nominees Luncheon and just really didn't seem to care about it. 

And interestingly, some experts said had he shown even a bit of interest and maybe done a little campaigning, he could have posed a serious threat to Gaga's sweep. And I can see that based on his prestige in the music industry and the song being from Black Panther.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, AnswersWanted said:

So wait...minutes from 10:30 and we still haven’t gotten to the Memoriam portion of these events? It defies logic how they run this thing. 

Spoke too soon, here it is...

Edited by yowsah1
4 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

She should have focused on writing songs for movies rather than trying to be a movie star. Love Madonna but she went the wrong way on that one. 

Oh, I don't know. "Evita" was the movie that convinced me that Madonna really could act. I personally felt she was robbed.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

What I loved about the Mary Poppins Returns scoren was how they managed to add so many subtle homages to the original score.

My (grown) daughter and I cried during "Where The Lost Things Go" thinking about loved ones who have passed. I loved that song.

• Love 2
Just now, scarynikki12 said:

Kendrick didn’t want to perform or was unavailable. 

1 minute ago, truthaboutluv said:

Didn't want to. He's had no interest in the nomination. Never acknowledged it, didn't attend the Nominees Luncheon and just really didn't seem to care about it. 

And interestingly, some experts said had he shown even a bit of interest and maybe done a little campaigning, he could have posed a serious threat to Gaga's sweep. And I can see that based on his prestige in the music industry and the song being from Black Panther.

I can see that. I felt All The Stars could challenge for the win but maybe he thought there was no way it could. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, legaleagle53 said:

Oh, I don't know. "Evita" was the movie that convinced me that Madonna really could act I personally felt she was robbed.

I'll add to this with what is likely to be a very unpopular opinion. I thought Madonna was more impressive in Evita than Gaga in ASIB. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I do not mind Gaga's singing. She is very talented. Something about her personality rubs me the wrong way. Her acting is very hit or miss for me. Even her acting hits, for me, are just good, not great.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 4

The "In Memoriam" bit never fails to make me sad. No matter how many deaths I was aware of, it's still startling to see them up there.

Any idea why they don't list these people in alphabetical order? It's very hard to follow along with the random way they do it.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Misslindsey said:

I do not mind Gaga's singing. She is very talented. Something about her personality rubs me the wrong way. Her acting is very hit or miss for me.

I think she's a very good actress. If you've seen her on SNL she's funny and earthy and thankfully A Star is Born capitalized on that. I think her public "persona" at these awards shows is very grating, and I say this as a huge fan. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Camille said:

The "In Memoriam" bit never fails to make me sad. No matter how many deaths I was aware of, it's still startling to see them up there.

Any idea why they don't list these people in alphabetical order? It's very hard to follow along with the random way they do it.

Because people don't die in alphabetical order?

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Camille said:

I knew there was no way in hell they'd be able to include Stanley Donen in there, given that he just passed away a couple of days ago, but his Oscar speech is one of my favorites of all time.  And the sad thing is, he'll be overlooked next year, too.

• Love 4