Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Latifah needs to join the MCU. Don’t care what she’s cast as but I want to see her kick someone’s ass. 

Watch the Umbrella Academy on Netflix. She kicks all the asses.

Edited by Arynm
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, thuganomics85 said:

Roma was obviously winning, but I heard that Cold War was pretty awesome too.  Pretty stacked year in the Foreign Film Category, apparently.

I haven't seen it yet but it cleaned up at the Baftas and has gotten raves. 

1 minute ago, thuganomics85 said:

OK, I know remakes can be overdone and played out, but I now want to see Alfonso Cuaron do his version of Jaws!!

I can see Netflix giving him all the monies they can to make that happen. 

• Love 3

I've been looking at best dressed lists during commercials, but they keep putting Lady Gaga on the list, which is inconceivable.

Pet peeve of mine - If a song is nominated, I want to hear the original singer sing it.  No offense to Bette, but Emily sang it so much better.

• Love 5
Just now, thuganomics85 said:

Roma was obviously winning, but I heard that Cold War was pretty awesome too.  Pretty stacked year in the Foreign Film Category, apparently.

Didn’t know,you could be nominated for Best Picture and Best Foreign Language film. Knowledge is power. 

• Love 1

I would love to see Roma win best picture as well. I would be thrilled with a Roma or Black Panther win. I would be fine with BlacKkKlansman, The Favourite or Bohemian Rhapsody winning as well, but I prefer the other two more.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Crs97 said:

I've been looking at best dressed lists during commercials, but they keep putting Lady Gaga on the list, which is inconceivable.

Pet peeve of mine - If a song is nominated, I want to hear the original singer sing it.  No offense to Bette, but Emily sang it so much better.

I think that Emily was asked to sing it, and she said no.

• Love 2
Just now, topanga said:

Didn’t know,you could be nominated for Best Picture and Best Foreign Language film. Knowledge is power. 

It doesn’t typically happen but I think that you can be nominated for Picture if you quality for the Oscars in general. What would be truly amazing is if a short ever gets nominated for Picture, though I wouldn’t put money on it. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Vermicious Knid said:

The benchmark for terrible Oscar song performances for me is still Ann Reinking butchering Against All Odds.

Rob Lowe.  Snow White.  PROUD MARY.

'Nuff said.  😉

• LOL 8
  • Love 7

General observation: I think the expansion of academy members over the past couple of years to add younger members, more women and more people of color has been felt tonight.  A few years ago, the awards for Costume Design and Production Design would have gone to The Favourite or Mary, Queen of Scots.  The awards for Sound Editing and Sound Mixing would have gone to First Man.  There were gloriously different results tonight!  

• Love 9
22 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

It doesn’t typically happen but I think that you can be nominated for Picture if you quality for the Oscars in general. What would be truly amazing is if a short ever gets nominated for Picture, though I wouldn’t put money on it. 

The closest to it I've ever seen was when "Life is Beautiful" won both Best Foreign Language Film and Best Actor for 1998.  I remember it well because of Roberto Benigni's total shock at winning the latter award.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 4